It can be done

You are proving it!

Hugs
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Have a great low carb Thanksgiving!

It can be done

You are proving it!

Hugs
Thanks, Seabreezes!

No Thanksgiving for me--I'm Canadian. We had Thanksgiving in October
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I did see the Canada the other day. My hubby's mother was born in Canada, but came to US as a young child. We have a lot of Canadian relatives, though. A beautiful country.

We will eat low carb for you!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 330/249/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
It doesn't matter if i'm full or not when I grocery shop. Most of the time I do just fine, but occasionally something just tempts me and I give in. Most of the time I can leave it on the shelf and move on. Once in awhile, like a couple days ago, I cave in, buy it, and later eat it. I don't even really feel bad about it. I gave up the guilt trips a long time ago and acknowledge that I screw up sometimes.

I'm so much better than I was that I view it as a good thing, that I'm not overly critical of myself. Used to beat myself up BAD BAD BAD. It only made me eat more!

I have a great husband who has never gave me any grief for being overweight. On the other hand, he hasn't helped me either. I understand, because for as long as I've known him I've "been on a diet".

Melles, you are doing an amazing job! Stick with it and keep on sharing it all with us. You are an inspiration and example that is really helping.
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:43 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
Well, I've been awake since 5 a.m. and decided to catch up completely on your first 30 days, cheat free. Awesome job sweetie. That's what I'll call you if it's okay with you. "sweetie". Ooops, we're all trying to avoid sugar but typing sweetie is so easy for me and feel you are just that - sweet. I was drawn to you when you opened up about hiding food from your husband and about putting it on a credit card of which he knew nothing about. That takes humility. I truly believe that being up front and honest with ourselves and then talking to others about it helps us to change - it really does. I remember how freeing it was to admit to a couple (only two) of people what my weight was at that time.

Another thing that you wrote that jumped out at me was what you said about not deserving to have a husband like yours is. Now that is very obviously wrong and like me, you have a distorted view of yourself (which is obviously changing now though). Why do we gauge our worth by what the scales say?!! In my case it definitely has to do with my childhood and being raised by those who truly judged others by "outward appearance". I am now 66 and have only just really begun to love myself in my 60's.

And here's another thing - your husband sees your heart and loves what he sees in it - obviously. And wow! - he made that soup and that low carb dessert for you! I sure wish my husband would go out of his way to do such a thing for me. I want you to know how proud and happy I am for you for what you've accomplished these past 30 days. Good girl. Never give up and I hope you'll feel better soon.

Last edited by islegirl; 11-22-2012 at 03:47 AM..
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islegirl View Post
Well, I've been awake since 5 a.m. and decided to catch up completely on your first 30 days, cheat free. Awesome job sweetie. That's what I'll call you if it's okay with you. "sweetie". Ooops, we're all trying to avoid sugar but typing sweetie is so easy for me and feel you are just that - sweet. I was drawn to you when you opened up about hiding food from your husband and about putting it on a credit card of which he knew nothing about. That takes humility. I truly believe that being up front and honest with ourselves and then talking to others about it helps us to change - it really does. I remember how freeing it was to admit to a couple (only two) of people what my weight was at that time.

Another thing that you wrote that jumped out at me was what you said about not deserving to have a husband like yours is. Now that is very obviously wrong and like me, you have a distorted view of yourself (which is obviously changing now though). Why do we gauge our worth by what the scales say?!! In my case it definitely has to do with my childhood and being raised by those who truly judged others by "outward appearance". I am now 66 and have only just really begun to love myself in my 60's.

And here's another thing - your husband sees your heart and loves what he sees in it - obviously. And wow! - he made that soup and that low carb dessert for you! I sure wish my husband would go out of his way to do such a thing for me. I want you to know how proud and happy I am for you for what you've accomplished these past 30 days. Good girl. Never give up and I hope you'll feel better soon.
Hi Ilsegirl!

Thanks so much for your kind words! You can call me "sweetie"! You can call my anything you'd like (as long as you don't call me late for dinner, har har)...

I felt good about admitting that I hide food HERE, but my therapist was the one who tried to encourage me to actually tell my husband, but I never did. My Husband also doesn't know my weight, although he tells me that he peeked at the doctor's records when we went through fertility treatments. He really doesn't care how much I weigh....I don't know why it means so much to ME, though.

When I say that I don't deserve my Husband, it's not really because of my weight. My husband met me for the first time when I was heavier than I am today and he still wanted me so I know that the weight wasn't a big deal for him. The reason why I feel that I don't deserve him is because I always have felt like he gave up a lot to be with me. My husband is european and he moved away from his country to be with me--his entire family is in europe and he only has me here. My husband always wanted children of his own and I haven't been able to fulfill that wish, so I feel badly about that.....I just feel that somehow the universe sent me the $1,000,000 husband when I ordered the $1,000 husband and I've been reaping the benefits all this time without merit.

Yes--you're 100% correct..my Husband sees something in me that I don't see. He does ALL sorts of things for me that I likely don't deserve. Making soup and desserts is only the tip of the iceberg. He also provides me with a great lifestyle, he does all the laundry, he makes me breakfast every morning and he never complains about ANYTHING....I am SO lucky and I NEVER forget it or take it for granted.

I feel like I do love myself, but you're probably onto something.....I was also raised by parents who were overly concerned about how others viewed us. In fact, my Dad still reminds me that I have to lose weight..(most recently told me that I wouldn't hang onto my promotion if I didn't show that I could "get it done" ie: lose weight).....

I guess we all have families and we all have issues....I'm just really glad that I can come here and share my feelings and hopefully, help others work through their issues....

Thanks for reading my thread, Islegirl!!!

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

DAY THIRTY EIGHT!

Still on plan, feeling better, but still have a cold. My poor hubby has the cold now......

How is everyone doing today?

JayLynn: What plan do you follow? Are you in ketosis? I ask because when I'm in ketosis, I have no desire at all to eat off plan....it's not willpower for me, it's chemistry (I think?)....
Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

I almost forgot:

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammy4262
Stats: 355/355/180
WOE: high protein/low Carb
Start Date: Nov 17 2012
Thank you Melle's sweetheart you have given me an extra push that I needed we can do this 1 pound at a time. so proud of you keep up the great job.
tammy4262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post
DAY THIRTY EIGHT!

Still on plan, feeling better, but still have a cold. My poor hubby has the cold now......

How is everyone doing today?

JayLynn: What plan do you follow? Are you in ketosis? I ask because when I'm in ketosis, I have no desire at all to eat off plan....it's not willpower for me, it's chemistry (I think?)....
Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Mells!!! Even though its not tday up there in canuckland...haha

I'm not really following a specific plan, I guess close to Atkins although I do have a little, very little, fruit sometimes. Its got so many nutrients I hate to exclude it completely. I've been LCing for a long time on and off. First attempt, I went from about 333 to 290. Fell off the wagon and gained it all back except for about 5. Second time I went from 325 to 285 and again started to gain again when I thought I deserved a few carbs. sheesh.

This last weight loss journey, I started at 329 and am now 259. I've been at 259 for a few weeks now. My new motivation began with learning my blood sugar is up and close to needing medication. I do not want to go that path so its been a good incentive for me to stick with it. My BG is coming down so I keep going. Although I think that rebellious part of me hates hearing I HAVE TO stick with it this time. Oh the dynamics of it all! : )

I have some kind of mental issue when it comes to food. I think it started when I was very little. Food was a reward, but it was also something to be afraid of. My mom was concerned with her weight all her life even though she was never really fat. Sometimes a little chubby maybe.

Anyway, I have tried to get therapy for the emotional part of it, but the people I saw didn't help at all, just sounded either nuts or made me feel worse. Probably my issues. So I gave up on that and focused on eating less and moving more. And oh, I hate to exercise but do it anyway. Not that I do a lot.

Okay enough of that for now.

What a terrible thing for your father to say! I used to be so sensitive to anyone who would say rotten things to me, but now I let them know I could care less what they think. Fortunately my folks have never put me down, at least not intentionally (My wonderful Dad is no longer with us, he was my biggest fan and support system..I miss him so much!)

Your kind heart, good intentions and amazing determination come shining through here and I wish you the very best with your journey to lose weight and everything you wish for in your life.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy4262 View Post
Thank you Melle's sweetheart you have given me an extra push that I needed we can do this 1 pound at a time. so proud of you keep up the great job.
Awesome, Tammy!

We've started at the same weight and we're both Canadian, too!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

DAY THIRTY NINE!

Happy Friday, everyone! I'm sure many of you are out shopping already, trying to get one of those awesome Black Friday deals! Makes me long for Boxing Day (that's when we get all our door crashers)....

This morning I started my day with a nice chai tea from Starbucks. I always get two bags, 3/4 full of water and I add my own heavy cream. Can you believe that I have to go in the store to get it because I just don't trust them to do it right when I go through the drive thru? I guess I'm a control freak, but in a good way

I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm showing a loss! I hate to be a scale junkie, but seeing even a tiny loss really motivates me to keep on.

I have a busy day ahead of me, so I may not respond until later---have a wonderful weekend, all!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

JayLynn:

I meant to respond to this yesterday:

Quote:
I'm not really following a specific plan, I guess close to Atkins although I do have a little, very little, fruit sometimes. Its got so many nutrients I hate to exclude it completely.
I suggest you read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes or any of his books, really. Have you read DANDR, by Dr. Atkins? I ask because he had an excellent piece in that book about low carb---he said (and I'm paraphrasing) that when you're overweight, your nutrient intake is unbalanced so the only way to fix that imbalance is to create an imbalance in what you eat. SO, although you may feel that you need fruit because of the nutrients, in reality, being overweight is far more dangerous to you than cutting out fruit for a while. I'm probably explaining this wrong, but you can research it.

I'm not a big believer in eating fruit, although I will eat low carb fruits like strawberries and cantaloupe from time to time. Fruit is full of sugar. Our bodies don't know the difference between an apple and a candy bar---genearlly speaking, effect on insulin in the same.

I think you'd benefit from being in ketosis and following Atkin's induction. That would really curb your cravings and keep you on track....
Old 11-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post
DAY THIRTY NINE!

Happy Friday, everyone! I'm sure many of you are out shopping already, trying to get one of those awesome Black Friday deals! Makes me long for Boxing Day (that's when we get all our door crashers)....

No black friday for me. I avoid the chaos like the plague. My daughter was in line last night for a 40" TV for $200 so I can see why people suffer through...

This morning I started my day with a nice chai tea from Starbucks. I always get two bags, 3/4 full of water and I add my own heavy cream. Can you believe that I have to go in the store to get it because I just don't trust them to do it right when I go through the drive thru? I guess I'm a control freak, but in a good way

Your dedication and determination are amazing. I look forward to your posts. They help me KNOW I can get this next 60 lbs off. I hear ya about the control freak in a good way. While LCing I am hesitant to eat out much, knowing I can control what I put into my mouth if I prepare it myself.

I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm showing a loss! I hate to be a scale junkie, but seeing even a tiny loss really motivates me to keep on.

Well, being a scale junkie is working for you! "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I have a busy day ahead of me, so I may not respond until later---have a wonderful weekend, all!
Happy Friday to you! and keep posting about your amazing journey.

I'm starting to follow the JUDDD threads and learn about alternate fasting. Something I would NEVER consider before, but when I learn the many health benefits of something new to me, I definitely consider it.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm starting to follow the JUDDD threads and learn about alternate fasting. Something I would NEVER consider before, but when I learn the many health benefits of something new to me, I definitely consider it.
Sounds like a good plan!

In the end, you have to do what is good for you.

Glad to hear you didn't brave the Black Friday shopping---it seems so dangerous with people getting trampled and all! Even on Boxing Day, I don't line up before the stores open and all that craziness!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Day Forty!

Finally the weekend!

I have much housework to go finish today since I was too sick to do it last week

Hope everyone has a great Saturday!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

30 cheat free days!! YAY for you....don't overdo on the housework.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Hey Melle's Sweetheart!

Hope your weekend was healthy and productive as you planned.
I love your chai tea, add the cream yourself, Starbucks order.
Sound deelish and like a good afternoon pick me up.

My family has finally cleared out and my fridge has been cleaned of all the carby leftovers. Looking for a good Mexican Turkey Soup recipe.

Just wanted to say hi, though, and that I am still reading your posts and rooting for you!

Leslie
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Day Forty One!

Hi Gabby and Seabreezes!

I didn't overdo the housework, but I knitted two scarves. I guess if I'm knitting, I'm not eating!!!

I'm increasing my carbs a bit for variety. For lunch this week, I bought marinated mushrooms, miniature bocconcini cheese and dried caciatore sausage. It's definitely a welcome change!

Finished Christmas shopping for my niece, my mom and my husband, too!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

I used to knit a lot and loved. You definitely can't eat and knit at the same time. Your new foods sound yummy.

It is too warm to knit in Hawaii!

Happy low carbing next week....

Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Day Forty Two:

Awww...my thread was moved to Weight Loss Journals....I hope everyone still comes by to visit!

I weighed myself this morning and I'm up 2 lbs. I also know that I'm ovulating so it's possible that it's water weight. I'm a little concerned because I ate guacamole for lunch twice on the weekend (the carb counts were within the range, though).

At least my cold is over and done with! That was a pretty quick recovery, so I'm happy!

This Saturday I'm traveling to Quebec for one of my company Christmas party. I've done this trip on low carb before and it was pretty easy. The only thing that worries me is that my feet tend to swell because it's a 6 hour drive....

Any ideas for road food? The last time we just stopped at fast food places and ate burgers w/o the bun....
Old 11-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like you continue to do great! I bet the 2 lbs is water weight. Those hormones can wreak havoc at times.

I'm in my fourth days of JUDDD. NEVER thought I would even consider alternate day fasting but after learning all the health benefits, I want to give it a shot. I've done great. Its easy to stay under 500 cals one days when you know you can have 3 or 4 times that the next day.

Fasting is a way to get your body working its optimal and lord knows I really screwed up my metabolism over the years.

For traveling, I'd pack a small cooler with some veggies, dip, cheese, and nuts. Just to have something nearby thats on plan. Have fun in Quebec. Its where my ancestors are from.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Found you! I had to Google your thread name though. Hope others can find it.

We usually eat nuts or Quest bars when traveling. Probably not the best for you since you are stricter with your carb limits. Maybe some BabyBel cheeses? Salami slices? Celery or blanched asparagus spears and sour cream herb dip (or peanut butter w the celery)?

Hormones- bah!

You know you are doing everything right. Are you still weighing yourself everyday? If so- you are gonna drive yourself bonkers!

Leslie
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Day Forty Three!

Good morning, Jaylynn and Gabby!

Jaylynn: You make me want to try this JUUDD thing! Maybe later on when I stall out it'll be a good plan to try.

Gabby: I can't believe they moved my thread! I thought it was inspirational to people re-starting....oh well....I wish they would have posted a re-direct.

I am weighing myself every day, but I keep in mind that my Wednesday weigh in is the OFFICIAL one. I was down about a half pound this morning, but my feet are swollen.. WAHHHHHH! I keep telling myself that I'm following this for my health so with that in mind, I have to keep on truckin'

A co-worker of mine is bringing in a tape measure today. Back in July the two of us took our measurements and I'm curious to see if I've lost any inches in the past forty three days!

Have a great day, all!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stephkp
Stats: 265/199.6/140
WOE: my own
Start Date: last year
You are an inspiration! I got off plan at Thanksgiving and gained 5lbs. but I got right back on plan on Saturday and so far have lost 3 of the 5lbs I gained. I am traveling in three weeks and I am already planning my trip so that I don't go off plan.

My mom already knows that I am eating low carb so she is planning on having plenty of things that I can eat. I am determined to get below 200 before New Years.

Keep up the good work. You are doing great!!!

Stephanie
stephkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Hi Melles, so glad you are really sticking with it! I'm very happy for you. Your determination and positive attitude are priceless. Stay motivated!

Like I said, I NEVER thought I would give JUDDD a second thought. A day without eating just sounded impossible for me. I felt I would relapse and eat everything in sight.

This is my third "down day" which means i'm eating under 500 cals today. Amazingly its not that difficult, knowing I can eat "normally" tomorrow which for me is around 2000 calories. So far I'm staying on plan.

There is a ton of information on the JUDDD thread. It is what got me interested. The health benefits of alternate day fasting are really amazing.

Already I'm feeling better, more energy, better mood.

Right now you probably want to stick with what has been working for you. You are doing so well!!! But in the future if you want to tweak things a little, check it out. And don't hesitate to ask questions. I've been researching this to pieces!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

I've tried different diets before but what I always forget is that I need the glucose lowering effects of low carb.

Perhaps when I'm close to my goal weight and my sugars are at a constant low level, I could try something like JUDDD to take off the last few pounds. I always seem to underestimate how terrible my cravings are for sweets when I don't omit them from my diet.

For instance---I made a low carb dessert for my Husband that was 1 c. heavy cream, 2 tbsps of unsweetened cocoa and some liquid splenda and that alone started up moderate cravings.

My body is crazy!

BTW: I meant to mention earlier--I ate guacamole on the weekend and it swiftly kicked me out of ketosis!

Last edited by Melle's_Sweetheart; 11-27-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Every body is different, thats for sure. Takes some experimenting to come up with what works and it sure looks like you have!

Keep up the fantastic work!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Melles, maybe it's too stressful to weigh daily? It it plays mind games with you try weekly.

I like pouches of salmon or tuna when I am in the car for a long ride, or a day away from home. Along with all the other things mentioned.

I just started JUDDD yesterday. I am doing a low carb version, because after reading books like Wheat Belly and The Blood Sugar solution and other LC books, I firmly believe that is what is best for me. Today is my first Down Day (it's an alternate day diet.. one up day and one down day... repeat) and I have been hungry. I have about 100 calories left for the day which will be "spent" on shirataki noodles, a tsp of sesame oil and a Tbsp of soy sauce. The JUDDD experts here say that the hunger curtails or dissolves after a couple of weeks and that an actual energy burst occurs! It's like music to my ears! I just need to get that far!

You keep doing great and keeping us motivated!!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote