Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #961
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Yr 2, Day 44

Judy:

Thanks for the link. I read it and I think there are some very good points in there. Here's my issue--low carbing really is the only thing that works for me. The problem is, the minute I get into the mindset that I can cheat here and there, I get sloppy.

I have to go back to my "meat and eggs" diet for a few days to get back into ketosis. The problem is, in in that negative mindset right now "oh, Christmas is coming and you know how bad it is to diet on Christmas" and blah blah blah...

I'm working on it....I refuse to let low carbing fall by the wayside again.

Frogg:

Quote:
I made a HUGE spaghetti squash lasagna this weekend. I thought of you as I made it haha!
Good job! I have spaghetti squash in the fridge--I just have to put the casserole together.

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 decaf coffee

Lunch:
2 chicken legs
1 oz goat cheese
1 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Catfish

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Hi MS.. I get the part about thinking we have to be perfect, otherwise we get sloppy. I have the same problem and I think many of us do. I say that "moderation" is the M word. Still trying to get a handle on that one in everything.
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #963
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 45

Good morning, all!

Judy---I'm back on track, eating healthy foods. I put away all the extra candy from my gingerbread houses, just so it wasn't there to "snack" on. I'm terrible for mindless eating.

I weighed in this morning at 304.8. Not exactly where I want to be, but considering all the cheating that happened, I'm not surprised.

I have to keep my mindset on "eating healthy" and not overeating. When I have that healthy mindset and keep low carb, I do well. At this point, I'm shooting for another 50 lb loss in year 2. It works better for me when I accept that it's not a race--I've been overweight for a long time and I can accept that it will take a long time for the weight to come off.

Breakfast:
2 eggs
2 decaf coffee

Lunch:
2 chicken legs
1 oz summer sausage
.5 oz goat cheese
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Goat cheese and tomato quiche
Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #964
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
You have a great attitude Sweetheart. You are so right, life is not a race. I need to keep reminding myself of that (and thereby, I hope, lose unnecessary stress).
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #965
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 46

I weighed myself this morning, just to keep myself on track. I actually lost a couple of lbs. I was 302.4 this morning. I just need to keep up my healthy eating through the holidays.

There's one thing about cheating, but it's a whole new kettle of fish when I give myself the "license to binge". So far, that hasn't happened. I'm carefully keeping myself in the right mindset so that I don't go on food benders. I think giving yourself a treat once in a while is a good idea, as long as you go back on track immediately afterwards. I already feel better about myself.

Quote:
You have a great attitude Sweetheart. You are so right, life is not a race. I need to keep reminding myself of that (and thereby, I hope, lose unnecessary stress).
Thanks, Lola.

I have to keep this attitude or I'd probably lose my mind.

I invited my best friend and her husband for Christmas dinner. Her husband celebrates Christmas on January 6th and her family members all visit their inlaws for dinner, so she's always alone on Christmas. I may not be religious, but I don't think a person should just sit home on Christmas night. It feels wrong. She really appreciates coming to my house and I appreciate having her there. It'll be a lot of people, but I can handle it.

Breakfast:
2 eggs
2 decaf coffee

Lunch:
2 chicken legs
2 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Spaghetti squash with chicken breasts
Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #966
Senior LCF Member

It sounds like your Christmas will be lovely and fun.. As far as the treats - I agree. It prevents that deprivation feeling.. And, after reading so much about other diet plans that cycle carbs and calories, I believe it's good for your body to have things mixed up a bit... then, it doesn't get complacent with the same number of carbs and calories and try to hang on to the weight.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #967
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It sounds like your Christmas will be lovely and fun.. As far as the treats - I agree. It prevents that deprivation feeling.. And, after reading so much about other diet plans that cycle carbs and calories, I believe it's good for your body to have things mixed up a bit... then, it doesn't get complacent with the same number of carbs and calories and try to hang on to the weight.
I agree...I also believe in setpoints. My body is kind of happy around the 300lb mark. Even if I don't diet, my body will stay at this weight for a long time before I gain or lose.

I've said this before--my body is an ongoing science project!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #968
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 47

Happy Friday to all!

My day started badly. My husband is down in the dumps again and I'm losing ground in dealing with him. It's all doom and gloom with him and now he wants me to "motivate" him. I have enough trouble motivating myself!

Him asking me to "motivate" him to find another job is like me asking him to motivate me to lose weight. Life doesn't work that way. When I subtly ask him if he's been looking at job postings, he matter of factly says "no". If I push the issue, he says he doesn't want to talk about it so without being a nagging wife, what else can I do?

ARGH. *Looking toward the heavens* WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? I'm tired of my life being this never-ending "sad fest". I grew up with a mother that was depressed and I listened to her depressive musings every day of my life until I was 34 years old. I CAN'T do this anymore.

I'm just so tired of starting my day with a moody husband who wants me to solve his problems for him. I want my old husband back...the one who supported ME and cared about someone other than himself.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #969
Senior LCF Member

Well, if it helps any.. I can commiserate. I want my DH back again, too. Lost him to depression and anxiety several years ago as well. I am not a nagging wife either. We just have to realize that we can only help ourselves. To them we can offer loving and helpful suggestions.. but, that's about it. It is up to them to take the next step. It is very difficult to see someone do nothing when there is such potential for improvement if they just take the next step. We can't do it for them.

I tend to be a very proactive person (except for my health and weight). When I see a potential problem I always make a contingency plan.. When others just sit in their own mess I have a hard time understanding. I can't fix the world and neither can you.

Here's a ((hug))...

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #970
Senior LCF Member

Sweetheart, I'm sorry to hear that your husband is still struggling so. Depression and anxiety can sometimes be caused by, or at least related to, other types of physical problems. Certain medical conditions as well as certain types of medications can cause both depression and anxiety. I wondered if your husband has consulted his physician lately. If not, it might be a good time for a medical checkup just to make sure all is well with his physical body.

I really agree with both you and Judy that living with someone who suffers from mood disorders can be incredibly problematic as your own mood is so impacted by the outlook of your significant others. I long ago realized that the greatest gift you can give your loved ones is that of maintaining a cheerful and positive attitude as much as possible. Realistically, sometimes that is not easy but I do think it is a goal for which we should all strive.

I just had to shake my head regarding your husband's request that you supply him with motivation. I think if I received a request like that I might simply suggest that he sit down with paper and pencil and start making lists of things like what he dislikes about his current job, what he would want in a different, better job (i.e. what elements might characterize a job he'd like), what steps he needs to take to get that better job, and even a list of what he thinks might motivate him to actually make a change. Making lists always forces me to think, to be reflective about present circumstances and to contemplate the future. And that is the first step toward making changes. Is he seeing a counselor on a regular basis? I thought you mentioned he was. If so, the counselor should be able to help him with the motivation issue. And if he isn't seeing a counselor, maybe that is something he should do rather than place the burden of maintaining his psychological health totally on your shoulders.

But again, the fact that he is so unmotivated may also be related to some physical problem. My hypothyroidism, for example, if not treated properly can make me feel very lacking in energy and motivation.

Anyway, I really hope your day today will turn out to be a good one. I keep thinking how fortunate your husband is to have someone as caring and patient as you by his side.

Last edited by LolaGetz; 12-13-2013 at 08:00 AM..
Old 12-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #971
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Hugs to you Melle's Sweetheart! I think Judy and Lola have some great insights here. I wish there was some way to get across to your husband that he is in charge of himself, and no one else can do it for him! But like Judy said, we just can't do it for them, no matter how much they want us to. I would second counseling, if he' not already going, or even couple's counseling, so you can explain your feelings to him with someone else there supporting you. I wish my DH would do it but he refuses therapy altogether! Hope he finds his way soon.
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #972
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 50

Thanks for your advice, Judy, Lola and Alex.

My husband has been checked for medical causes for his moodiness and depression---he has very low testosterone. It's not low normal, it's below the normal range. There's no telling whether this caused his depression or whether the stress caused the low testosterone, but he is being treated. On his last test, it was rising, slowly but surely. Everything else is normal, including his thyroid counts. He is in therapy, but I don't think it's working very well. The therapist gives him advice and he's very enthusiastic when he sees her, but then his enthusiasm peters out. I bought him 4 books to read (recommended by the therapist) and he's dragging his feet about reading them now.

My husband's biggest issue is being moody when he has to go to work, but then not wanting to discuss the matter when he's not at work. He tends to wait until the morning when he's on his way to work to begin discussing his feelings. That's not a great time because I don't have time and I feel less patient about discussing such things (I have a job, too AND a less than awesome boss--we all have issues) and I hate having to try and give him a pep talk when I have my own work issues that I struggle with (and no support from my husband).

He's definitely a strange duck. He hates his boss and his boss hates him, but he went to the department Christmas party and stayed out until 11.30 pm on Friday night. I fell asleep waiting for him and when I woke up and saw the time, I was in a panic because I knew (I thought i knew?) that he wouldn't ever stay out that late with people he disliked so much. Turns out, he stayed out late having drinks with the boss and others that he works with. Weird.

I'm trying to keep my good attitude...trying to stay positive, trying to be happy but it's hard.

My eating has been good, but I feel myself not being 100% focused on my weight loss right now. I'm going to keep blogging, but I may need to do a complete re-set in January.

Last edited by Melle's_Sweetheart; 12-16-2013 at 05:53 AM..
Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #973
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 51

Still on track...busy at work and drove in a snow storm. More tomorrow!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #974
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Sending you a hug

Hopefully things will improve in the new year!

This time of year is so stressful for a lot of people and then add in your husbands "quirks" doesn't help at all.
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #975
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 52

Weighed in at 304 this morning.. Up down Up down....stop the rollercoaster, I want to get off!

Well....I've learned something.

This morning I just didn't want to weigh myself. I kept thinking "I've probably gained and it's going to make me feel bad about myself" then I just decided to jump on the scale and accept whatever it threw back at me. So, I did. It's not great, but at least I can keep track and be accountable. Not weighing today would have made me feel somewhat out of control. I'm glad I did it.

Seeing as it's a week before Christmas, I'm going to make a decision to go back to the beginning in the new year. Nothing serious, just a meat and egg fast for a few days to get back in ketosis and jump start my weight loss. I've lost 50 lbs, that's good...now I want to lose 50 more and I WILL do it, regardless of the BS I have to deal with regarding my husband.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #976
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 53

Chugging along....so busy at work, I just noticed at 3.30 pm that I haven't updated my blog today.

I don't really have time to properly update today, but all is well....

More tomorrow!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #977
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 54, 57

WELL, THAT was embarrassing. I was so busy on Friday, I just completely forgot to update my blog.

While Friday was busy, the weekend was a nightmare. Saturday was fine---against my husband's wishes, I did my Christmas housework BUT, that was very lucky because we woke up at 5.30 on Sunday morning with NO ELECTRICITY. We had been hit with an ice storm on Friday and our power was fine on Saturday but we were without until 8.30 pm on Sunday.

I was very glad that I finished the cleaning on Saturday. On Sunday, I wrapped Christmas gifts and set up my Christmas dinner tables, wiped down the chairs, put the tablecloths on, etc. I was a bit annoyed that my brother brought back one of my folding tables BROKEN....GRRRRRR....he didn't even mention it. What a tool! Moving around and doing work while the power was off was a good idea---I didn't feel cold (no furnace!)

SO, today I'm at work, tomorrow I'll be at work and then I'll have 16 people at my place for dinner on Wednesday. I'm pretty much on schedule, but I have to start preparing my food after work tonight.

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 decaf coffee

LUnch:
2 chicken thighs
2 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
salmon
Old 12-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #978
Senior LCF Member

Merry Christmas, Sweetheart. Have fun at your dinner party. Don't work too hard; enjoy your time with friends and family.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #979
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Hi Melle's Sweetheart! I've been off the boards for a bit and thought I would catch up. I hope the holidays went well for you and your DH was "behaved" Just wanted to pop in and say hi!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #980
Senior LCF Member

Wishing you a Happy New Year MS and hope to *see* you soon! Same to all of your friends!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #981
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 71

Good morning, all!

I'm sure you've noticed that I took quite a long "holiday" from the boards. I was crazy busy at work leading up to Christmas and when I returned home in the evening, I was so busy preparing for Christmas that leading up to Christmas day, I just worked and slept.

Christmas turned out ok--everyone liked my meal, but there's always SOMETHING, right? My brother and sister in law pulled a mean trick, my aunt left early, (they always act like they're bored?) and it was 2.30 am before my sister left (she helped me clean up).

After that, I was so stressed, I took a break from the board and took a "food holiday". I didn't binge, but I did eat whatever I craved. *shrugs*...life isn't all about following a diet "correctly".

To be perfectly honest, I feel good to be back on my schedule (which includes my food) today.

With the new year, I feel renewed hope---even though my husband is in a bad situation at work, I'm working on his resume and hoping to get some hits with that. I'm trying to get more side work so at least my husband can help me with that if he ends up getting canned. I just feel less stress this year, probably because I don't have the pressure of knowing that I HAVE to try and have a baby. I'm not preventing it, but there will be NO fertility treatments this year.

Funny that I mention that, there was a screaming baby in front of us at the supermarket yesterday and my husband just looked at me and smiled. (That's his secret look for "so glad we're not in that position". He's so resigned to being childless now, I'm wondering if I shouldn't start taking birth control again!

SO--as of today, I'm back.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone who passed by during my absence to send their best wishes (Judy (Dipgal) I LOVE YOUR NEW PHOTO!!!!).....onto bigger and better things!

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 cup coffee
1 cup tea

Lunch:
3 small roasted chicken thighs
1 Vache que Rit cheese
1 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Eggs and bacon
Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #982
Senior LCF Member

So glad to see you MS! I figured you'd be back today.. These boards should be buzzing!

We all need a fresh start sometimes. Here's to a healthier new year!

Thanks for the compliment..I was trying to be quirky and hide my double chin.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 AM   #983
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 72

Holy mother of God is it cold out there!

I'm Canadian and when I think it's cold, it's bloody cold! The temperature this morning, without the wind chill factor is -23 C which is -9 F! With the wind chill it's -39 C (-38 F) BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

One day down and I'm feeling fine! It feels great to be back on schedule!

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 cup decaf coffee

Lunch:
2 chicken thighs
6 cheese balls
1 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Beef roast
Old 01-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #984
Senior LCF Member

Oh my goodness. I cannot even imagine the cold you are enduring up there. May you stay as comfortably warm as possible and inside if you can.

Your writing about the stress you felt during Christmas festivities reminded me of something I'd mentioned on another thread and will share with you as well. Last weekend a friend told me about a piece of music which is said to be 'the most relaxing song ever'. It was "created in collaboration w/ the British Academy of Sound Therapy...Scientists at Mindlab Institution...(found it) induced 65% reduction in overall anxiety & brought test subjects pulse rates to a level 35% lower than their usual resting rates...".

Of course I can't vouch for the 'science' here but the music, although it wouldn't be top of my list for aesthetic pleasure, is certainly very calming. Check it out for yourself if you're interested. It's on YouTube and is 8 minutes long.

Marconi Union ~ Weightless (Radox) HighQualityAudio (most relaxing tune)
~ YouTube

It really is quite soothing.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #985
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the stress releasing music tip Lola!

MS, it's even been colder down here! Why would that be?? Yesterday I woke up to -19 F without the windchill.. and today -9. Yesterday it was -45 with the windchill. It is now a balmy 0. woo hoo!

Good for you for getting back in the groove. I had a successful fast yesterday and a pity party for most of the day.. thankfully, feeling a bit better today.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:44 AM   #986
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 73

Thanks for that music information, Lola! I'm going to give that to my husband to help him calm down. Since we can get YouTube on our TV now, I'll play it for him while we're eating dinner.

Dipgal--sometimes it is colder in the US than it is here, even though you're more south than we are. Although Buffalo, NY is about an hour south of us, they woke up this morning to more than 15 inches of snow! We haven't had any during this cold spell. It is strange that it's colder in IL, though...

Day three of "back on track" for me. Although today is technically "weigh in day" I didn't weigh in. I'll give myself at least a week or two so my body can rid itself of the water retention.

Speaking of the cold---I've been watching my friend's 20 year old cat for the past three days. It was only supposed to be two days, but she's stuck in an airport in Boston, waiting for a flight back to Toronto. What a drag. The cat eats special food that she ran out of yesterday morning, so last night I had to run to a special store and pick up more. I wasn't home until 7.00 pm!

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 cup decaf coffee

Lunch:
3 small chicken thighs
1 oz cheese balls
1 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Beef roast or bacon and eggs (haven't decided yet)
Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #987
Senior LCF Member

What we don't do for our pets! I have to give my 15 year old cat Ginger insulin shots twice a day! Before her sister Cali left us in August, I had a bunch of supplements for her.. plus they both also get prescription food. They are worth it!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #988
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipgal View Post
What we don't do for our pets! I have to give my 15 year old cat Ginger insulin shots twice a day! Before her sister Cali left us in August, I had a bunch of supplements for her.. plus they both also get prescription food. They are worth it!
We used to have a cat named Cali. She was a sweetie!
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #989
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 74

Well, talk about weird coincidences---my friend who has the 20 year old cat also has another cat that I watch when she goes away. Her name is CALI. LOL..she's a calico so it's just a short form. Isn't that hilarious??? I didn't realize that was such a popular name for cats!

I have a cat, too. He's probably about 9 years old now (adopted him and they didn't know his true age). I have him on prescription food and we give him cat milk and special treats to keep his teeth healthy. He sleeps in our bed every night (I'm talking under the covers). He really is like a child to us.

Day four--this is when ketosis usually sets in.

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 decaf coffee
1 black tea

Lunch:
2 chicken thighs
1 oz summer sausage
2 Vache que rit
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Quiche (goat cheese, shallot, cheddar and tomato)
Old 01-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #990
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 75

It's Friday!

Weird--I don't feel like I'm in ketosis yet. I should be, considering how little my carb intake has been this week, but maybe I was really carbed up (I don't think so?) I do, however, have another sure sign of ketosis that is sort of TMI, so yeah...I won't mention it....I am peeing constantly--that's good.

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
2 decaf coffee

Lunch:
3 chicken thighs
3 Vache que rit
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Beef Roast, quiche (haven't decided yet)