Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #901
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Crossing my fingers for a whoosh for ya! Hope hubby's mood keeps stabilizing too. My DH is super moody at times and tends to process things "out loud", whereas I am much more internalized that way. So I've had to learn to sort of detach myself from his mood swings or I will go up and down with him (its hard to sometimes!), and it gets to be too much emotionally. I try to remind him as kindly/gently as I can that I know he is going through a rough time, we all are, but please don't take it out on me!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #902
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/254.5/150
WOE: LC/Mod Protein/HF
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
Hey MS and friends.. back from my wonderful vacation and gave your journal a quick read. Just wanted to give a quick wave and supportive comment.. It sounds like all is good (as it can be) and keep on keepin' on.. as they say..

Will post soon as I get back on track and write out my plan. I have nothing but social events coming up, but WILL start on my 5:2 plan with my first 'fast' day being Monday.. Trying to wean some of the sugar and carbs (tequila sunrises, martinis, desserts and much more) out of my body so that I can get to neutral. There's no way to go from 1,000carbs/5,000 calories a day to 50/1,500 without wanting to jump off a bridge!

Hugs to all!

Judy

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #903
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipgal View Post
Hey MS and friends.. back from my wonderful vacation and gave your journal a quick read. Just wanted to give a quick wave and supportive comment.. It sounds like all is good (as it can be) and keep on keepin' on.. as they say..

Will post soon as I get back on track and write out my plan. I have nothing but social events coming up, but WILL start on my 5:2 plan with my first 'fast' day being Monday.. Trying to wean some of the sugar and carbs (tequila sunrises, martinis, desserts and much more) out of my body so that I can get to neutral. There's no way to go from 1,000carbs/5,000 calories a day to 50/1,500 without wanting to jump off a bridge!

Hugs to all!

Judy
I was just reading a post on one of the 5:2 forums on Facebook and someone posted a link to an interview with Dr. Mosley. The lady interviewer said she would have a very difficult time eating only 500 calories. He then told her to just eat protein on those days as Dr. Atkins knew what he was talking about! I assume you wouldn't have to count calories then.

The article was here...

Forget everything you know about healthy eating... - Telegraph
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #904
Senior LCF Member

Great article! Thanx Seabreezes!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #905
Senior LCF Member

Waving hi!

Just coming by to wave hi and hope you are having a great stress-free weekend.. Make time for you!!

Hugs,

Judy
Old 11-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #906
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Yr 2, Day 22

Hi all!

I know I didn't check in during the weekend, but my washer exploded on Saturday and Hubby and I had to run out and find a new set. Luckily, we found an excellent scratch and dent pair for $750!!! They're being delivered today.

On Sunday, we went shopping and I spent 5 hours cooking. I made tomato sauce, a leek quiche, chicken breasts and an indian curry. I plan to use the tomato sauce in my spaghetti squash lasagna this week.

Nice to see all of you again---Seabreezes, Alex and Judy!

My husband had a very nice weekend. He was very relaxed and happy. That's great to see...I hope this keeps up. He was bummed about about work this morning, but he didn't sleep well last night (we had a terrible windstorm) so it's understandable that he would feel crappy today (so do I).

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
2 decaf coffee

Lunch:
1 piece crustless quiche
2 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
T-bone steak w/fried mushrooms
Diet soda

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #907
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Glad to hear you and your husband are doing well and that you had a nice weekend. I hope that calm and peaceful mood will extend throughout your week and that every day will bring its share of happiness to both of you.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #908
Senior LCF Member

Happy Monday!! Let's all have a great one! Glad all is going smoothly MS!

Today is a fast day on my 5:2 plan.. The day is all planned out. It's only 8:25 a.m. and I am a bit hungry... but know I will survive! LOL
Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #909
Senior LCF Member

Good morning, Judy, and good luck on your fast day. Many years ago during one of my never-ending attempts at weight control I would eat only one meal a day; I would skip breakfast and lunch and eat dinner only. I sometimes would feel a little hungry during the day and at the time I greeted those twinges of hunger with pleasure, telling myself "ok, hunger means I'm losing weight". Complete nonsense of course although I always did, in fact, lose weight during my one meal a day regimens, due to lowered caloric intake. Anyway, your current approach sounds much healthier than my former practice but perhaps you may come to take some satisfaction in the hunger pangs as I once did.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #910
Senior LCF Member

Lola - not to hijack MS's thread.. but actually what you did was VERY healthy for many things in addition to weight loss. At least that is what the research on intermittent fasting is starting to show. There are multitude's of ways to do it.. but one of them is exactly as you described.. As long as you ate all the nutrients your body requires during your one meal - and not all junk food. Intermittent fasting is a great way to jump start low carbers who hit a stall, too. Just skipping breakfast and eating in an 8 hour window is popular and helpful to many low carbers as well. I am looking forward to playing around with the various options.. For now I am going to try low carbing (but, not VERY low carb) with the 2 "fast" days of 500 calories.

Okay MS, you can have your thread back! LOL
Old 11-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #911
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 23

Well, girls....I have to read up on this regimen you're discussing. I always like to learn about new dieting methods because you never really know what's going to work for you unless you at least LEARN about it. I think I'm going to read that article you posted, Seabreezes!

Don't worry about "hijacking" my thread. I like hearing about new stuff and fasting is something that I'm good at. Even during Atkins (my first time at it) I regularly fasted on weekends and it really helped.

So far, so good this week with my home life. Looks like my husband is looking forward to Christmas dinner at our house, so that's a very good thing : )

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
2 decaf coffees

Lunch:
1 piece crustless quiche
2 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Fried pickerel, coated in coconut flour (hey, why not?)
1 diet soda
Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #912
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone.. So, MS - I am pretty astute with most forms of food, but must say that I have never heard of "pickerel". Sounds like something out of Mary Poppins.. hehe.. I am going to guess it's seafood/fish of some sort.

Since you gave us your approval MS - more about Intermittent Fasting (IF) - eating LC helps with fasting since you don't have the blood sugar highs/lows of the general public and are not as physically hungry in general. Keeps those hanger pangs at bay on fasting days.

What's nice about fasting for shorter periods (versus days on end) is there is little feeling of deprivation. I must say I had a few moments of deprivation yesterday - but it was only my first fast day in about a year (tried the alternate day fasting program JUDDD last year - but WAY too hard for this ole gal).. and the first is usually the toughest. I made it through and haven't had breakfast yet. I've been up since 4 AM (not on purpose.. slept 8 hrs straight after going to bed early, and then couldn't fall back to sleep) - been sipping on some coffee for the last 90 minutes. I think I'll have something soon though..

I am trying to low carb also (for the most part - probably not 100% when I am out socially), so am waiting for the induction flu to hit. I wonder at what point of carbs is the difference between side effects/misery, or not. I know - it depends.. lol..

Have a great day!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #913
Major LCF Poster!

I think you Americans call it "Walleye" and it is a fish....LOL
Old 11-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #914
Senior LCF Member

Glad to hear that things go well for you, Sweetheart. And how wonderful it is that your hubby is feeling better about life in general. I know that our own happiness is so intertwined with that of our spouses.

BTW, I'm American and I've heard of pickerel although I've never had it [even though we eat a lot of fish]. I've also heard of walleye but hadn't realized it was the same thing as pickerel. LOL...I learn something new every single day through reading on the LCF boards.

Your menus always sound so healthy and delicious.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #915
Major LCF Poster!

The link I posted was a comment made by the Dr. Who started the 5:2 diet.

Dr. Mosley is his name. You can google his name and hopefully find the video he did about fasting as a way to improve health.

I have been doing JUDDD for quite some time now. I try to get 3 low cal days a week in, but sometimes only 2. I am also trying to maintain my weight. A bit more loss would be nice as I am up a bit from my stats. All my clothes fit, so shape is definitely different.

There is a very active JUDDD forum on here. There is also a 5:2, but not as active. If you do Facebook, there are several groups on there with lots of info. I find it nice to be able to eat a regular meal, especially when eating out. I don't do strict low carb anymore, but my hubby still calls me the queen of low carb! If I want a treat, I have a real treat. The calorie count is about the same as something made with all nuts for flour.

You do need to be aware of calories, but it is the wide swing in calories that promotes the health benefits and weight loss as a side effect.

Dr. Johnson of the Alternate Day Diet ala JUDDD is coming out with a new book in December. I'm sure he will have some updated info that we JUDDERs are looking forward to. There are several people on the forum here who have lost over 100 pounds. It isn't overnight, but it does seem to work.

Glad to hear your hubby is happier..

Old 11-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #916
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 24

Today is weigh in day---no reason in hell why I weigh 303lbs but WHATEVER. I'm eating as close to plan as possible and I'm not about to start worrying about it now. I will read about intermittent fasting. I'm very interested in that.

The pickerel/walleye turned out very nice dredged in coconut flour. Although it smells like coconut when you turn it out into a bowl, it doesn't taste like coconut. While I was coating my fish, I wondered about making coconut shrimp (maybe this will be my NYE dinner!) OH--although I sifted 1/3 cup of coconut flour, I had most of it leftover so I guess I only used about a tbsp in total.

I read the site for the 5:2 IF diet. The problem for me is that I don't count calories so I don't really know how I'd keep to the 500 calories. I could do it, but it would be a struggle....especially since my 2 days would probably be on the weekend when I do most of my entertaining, etc. I'm going to think about how I might be able to fit the two fasting days into my regular work week--that might be easier.

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
2 decaf coffee

Lunch:
1 piece crustless quiche
2 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Homemade Guacamole
Old 11-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #917
Senior LCF Member

Hello, Sweetheart. Just stopping by to wish you and your DH a good day.
I'm fascinated by the IF and 5:2 approaches but like you, I don't think it would be an approach suitable for me. I'm not very good at fasting and believe that trying to severely limit calories on certain days might lead me to think too much about food and perhaps to start obsessing about it. I suppose I'm a person who does better when food is a predictable and regular part of my life; it is a priority in that I need it to live and feel comfortable [not feeling overly hungry] but other than the degree of focus I must give to planning meals, shopping for food and cooking, I don't want to think about it all that much. The sensation of hunger seems to encourage me to dwell on the thought of food and eating and I just don't think that's a path I want to go down [since I've certainly been led astray all too easily in the past...LOL].
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #918
Major LCF Poster!

IF can be bad for people with eating disorders or issues. The fasts are not recommended to do consecutively. Monday and Thursdays are common for people doing 5:2.

There is also just waiting and eating once or twice a day, thereby going 18 hours without food. There are supposed to be some health benefits to that way of eating.

Lots of things to look at!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #919
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 25

BAH.

So many issues at work today. I'm so distraught, I ate three muffins and a nice cake thing that had a reese peanut butter cup in the middle (it was only half).

I feel so terrible for this, but I just can't handle all the BALONEY happening at work...eating seems to help, but I'm not sure WHY.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH! I hate this.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #920
Senior LCF Member

MS – regarding 5:2, the fasting days work best when you are busy. Most people do it during the week … and then have the weekends to eat and socialize. Since you are pretty keto-adapted I bet your body wouldn’t be overly hungry on your fast days. As far as calorie counting.. 500 calories isn’t much.. so, it will be easy to just look up what you plan to eat in an online calorie counter (can’t name them here). You may just want to reduce the quantity of what you eat now to make it easiest. Instead of 2 eggs for breakfast, just have one…. Just one chicken leg for lunch with some broccoli… a small piece of fish and some green veggies for dinner. Some broth, tea and coffee when hunger strikes.

And, right Lola and Seabreezes, IF isn’t for everyone. I do obsess 2 days a week about what I can’t have, but I am assured by folks doing this for a long time that it gets very easy. Many look very forward to fast days. I will give it to the end of the year. I certainly can give it 6 weeks and see if I get results, and if it gets easier.

Shame the scale wasn’t good to you despite your efforts! Stalling is so common on LC. Some claim it can be too much protein.. There are lots of ways to “shake it up”.. Eating more fat and less protein if you don’t want to try an intermittent fasting program..

I am on my 2nd fasting day of the week today.. It’s almost 11 and I haven’t had anything but tea yet. I think I’ll make an egg white and veggie omelet and then go to the pool for a water work out.

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #921
Senior LCF Member

Oops, MS - didn't see your last post.. Okay, breathe... the goodies are done and in the past. Drink a lot of water for the rest of the day. Do NOT talk negatively to yourself!! Don't beat yourself up. You needed to be comforted and the goodies were the only thing available at the time.

Eating helps to distract us from our problems.. It comforts us and makes us feel better. It's almost like a hug... for the time we are eating it, anyway. When we were young, Mom gave us a cookie to stop our crying.. etc.

I am so sorry that things have gone haywire at work. Just try to focus on solving the work related problems. Tomorrow will be better!

((Hugs))!!

Judy
Old 11-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #922
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 26

Thanks, Judy....you're right...today WAS better.

I made the mistake of telling my husband, confessing, really, that I ate the muffins and stuff. *sigh*...he told me he was disappointed in me and he poured it on REALLY thick. I guess I deserved that. I shouldn't have tried to soothe myself with food...especially BAD food.

I've done 100% better today--no junk....despite having Krispy Kreme donuts in the breakroom...tomorrow is my company Christmas party, but the restaurant we're going to has many low carb options.

Thanks for your IF tips....I'm going to try it....

Breakfast:
2 eggs boiled
2 decaf coffee

Lunch:
Crustless Quiche
Summer Sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #923
Senior LCF Member

Hugs to you MS Good job getting back on the wagon! I think its good that you were able to share your off plan eating with your husband. Even though he might have been harsh, it sounds like it was his way of supporting your long term effort, so there's that, right? It is such a struggle to drop the food crutches when we are up against the wall, emotionally. It's such an ingrained pattern. But from what I can tell, you are really good at dusting yourself right off and moving forward! You are on Year 2 day 26, so you have waaaaaay more days of on plan then off. Eventually all these days and years will add up to more than just a transformation of your body, but of your mind too!

I thought of you as I know you like to read science/physics books, and I just finished reading a sort of auto-biography of Richard Feynman, in graphic novel form. It was fun to read it in that form as the art and visuals really help round out what are sometimes very abstract ideas. The creators of this book are working on a graphic novel biography of Stephen Hawking next!

Cheers, hope you have a great weekend!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #924
Senior LCF Member

LOL-Alex was much kinder about your husband's comments than I would have been! No, you didn't DESERVE for him to tell you that he was disappointed in you! What you DESERVE is a hug from him and a comforting pep talk such as "Oh honey, I know how important staying on plan is to you! You must have been really upset... I know you will handle it better next time". THAT'S what you deserve MS!... As if you weren't disappointed enough in yourself! Well, since he didn't say it, I am!!

Okay - off soap box now..and I don't mean to rant about your DH.. I am sure he thinks he is doing it to help you. You just have to realize that I am a firm believer that no one hates themselves healthy/slim... We don't need negative comments from ourselves (negative self-talk) or our loved ones. I don't believe that tough love is a long term solution for weight loss since our emotions, habits, etc. are so ingrained from when we were just wee tots. Nope, we have to take care of ourselves because we deserve only good things, which includes a healthy body. And, no human can be 100% "perfect" all the time.

Have a wonderful day! With my busy and very fun social schedule yesterday, I overdid it on my "normal" day so am going to moderate somewhere between fasting level and normal level today.. Wish me luck!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #925
Senior LCF Member

Dip and Alex both made me giggle a little and I hope this morning finds you smiling too. I actually, when I read about your husband's response to your glitch, first felt as Alex did...that it was your DH's misguided attempt to encourage you to stay on plan. But I also agree with Dip in that such an approach wasn't what you needed at the time.

Good on you for being able to gather your resources and get back on plan. Life is always fraught with set-backs and missteps. What matters most is not that we slip up but how quickly we can catch ourselves and recover. Each time we do recover we learn and we get stronger. And you seem pretty strong to me already, Sweetheart.

Have a lovely weekend.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #926
Senior LCF Member

Very wise post Lola...well done!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #927
Senior LCF Member

Just to clarify for everyone, I didn't mean that because your DH was making an attempt to support you that the way he did it was right or even helpful. Just trying to see the good in the situation I guess! I just thought that since you are such an emotional support and sounding board for him that it was a good thing that he tried to return the favor, however poorly executed..
Old 11-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #928
Senior LCF Member

Alex, you are just a positive sweet person - looking for the best in DH. No problem with that!!
Old 11-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #929
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
HELLO MS! Just quickly stopping in to say HI! you're doing great! stepping back on the wagon quickly after a bad day is the hardest part. Just keep at it. I've been reading on my phone when i can but haven't been able to write much but always rooting you on!
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #930
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 29

I'm at the doctor's office right now and I didn't have time to log in this morning. I appreciate the encouragement and I will fill everyone in tomorrow. Long story short, I'mI on pjs an and even fasted some on the weekend.