Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #871
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Hi MS, so glad to hear things are looking up! We have extra that I am getting DH to take to his work too - I did partake of a teensy bit, but it helps to get that stuff OUTTA HERE!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #872
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Mayimba, your menu is entirely processed food and fast food. There are so many toxins and chemicals in that food. It can definitely have an effect on your inability to lose. Why don't you start to substitute some real home cooked food for a week and see if it helps.

You are worth the effort!

Hi MS and Alex and everyone.. busy this week..will write more over the weekend.
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #873
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Yr 2, Day 6&7

Happy Sunday, everyone!

Firstly, I hope no one is upset that I'm bundling my weekend days now. If I find time to make a post, I will but for the sake of just saving time, I'm going to bundle my weekend posts from now on. It's amazing how difficult it is to take some time to just sit down and write a post when you're not sitting in front of a computer.

Yesterday my husband and I visited a local farmer's market and picked up (you're never going to believe this) 9 leeks for 5 bucks, 3 spaghetti squash for 5 bucks AND a dozen apples. (My hubby wanted a traditional Dutch apple tart for his bday).

I made the apple tart (turned out great, not low carb but surprisingly less carby than say, a chocolate cake). Since my husband isn't a stringent low carber (lost 20 lbs, is at goal) his apple cake is pretty healthy for him. I used whole wheat flour, butter, sugar and fresh apples. I could have used Splenda in the cake, but as I mentioned before, I hate the taste and since it was HIS bday, I went totally traditional. He LOVED it.

Today I sliced and washed all the leeks and three will go into a crustless quiche for dinner tonight. The rest will be frozen for the weeks to come. If I can find this great deal next week, I'm definitely going to buy another 9 leeks!

I may just roast all the spaghetti squash today for the rest of the week. It's easier to prepare during the week if it's already roasted (saves about an hour of cooking time!) and it takes up much less space in the fridge.

Yesterday, we had Indian food for my husband's birthday. It's another night out, but I made an exception because of it being his birthday. I had butter chicken, it was YUMMY! Not 100% low carb, but after a year, I feel like I know what I can eat and still jump back on the wagon. I really feel like I proved myself when I went off plan and didn't BINGE. I'm SO HAPPY I've proven to myself that binging doesn't have to be a part of my life.

MAYIMBA I want to help you. DON'T GIVE UP. I'm going to give you my thoughts in another thread.....don't stop reading!

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #874
Major LCF Poster!

FOR MAYIMBA!

Mayimba

I'm no expert, but when I look at menus (even my own) I tend to see things that cause stalls and hinder weight loss.

Before I critique your menu, I want to make one thing very clear: I do not follow ANYTHING on the current Atkin's website or their plan. I read "Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution" in 2003 and I follow that book. No "rungs", no processed "Atkin's food", nothing. I PROMISE if you read that book, you will understand what your'e doing wrong.

If you're taking an advanced degree, then I KNOW you're a smart lady so you can understand this--when Dr. Atkin's died, the Dr. Atkin's name was sold. At that point, all the processed Atkin's food was released. The funny thing is, Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist and he didn't believe in eating processed food. When you read his book, it's all about losing weight eating foods that you have on hand. By following the Atkin's website, you're falling victim to marketing.

NOW, here's what I see in your menu:

McDonald's scrambled eggs---not a bad choice. It may have more sodium than what you're used to and that could cause you to retain water.

Subway--same thing. Even their "chicken" is injected with brine to make it juicy. SInce brine is mostly sodium and water---you guessed it--water retention. I try to stay away from fast food. For me, it's emergency food.

Atkin's shakes---in Canada we can buy these BUT they are not allowed to say "low carb" on the label because technically, they are not. Each shake has 16 carbs. Your US labels don't say that because the laws are different. In the US, I believe they are allowed to deduct the carbs in glycerin and the sweeteners in order to come up with this bogus "net effective carb count". The only time you can calculate net carbs is with FIBRE. Even then, I'm careful.

Atkin's Bars---Even worse for carb count. If it is the "energy bar" type, they have close to 25 carbs per bar. So, between your shake and your bar, you're taking in 41 carbs. Not exactly induction values.

SO, do you see why I steer clear of the Atkin's website? It's like they're setting you up to fail because people just keep buying their packaged crap (which is expen$ive) and hoping it'll eventually work, but it NEVER will.

I suggest that you set aside some time to shop on the weekend, prepackage things like almonds, sliced salami (I prefer the ones made by Menonnites or Amish because there are no preservatives), cheese, chicken breast pieces, or anything else you like to snack on and keep them at work or in your purse (if possible). As I mentioned in the previous thread, I cook my spaghetti squash on Sunday, and put it in a bowl. During the week when hubby and I work late, I just pull out the squash, throw some tomato sauce on it (can be jarred, as long as the carb count is low) and add some mozzerella cheese. IN 20 minutes, I have spaghetti squash casserole.

I make up 15 chicken legs, portion them out in plastic containers and I have my entire week of lunches at work. In the morning, I prepare my snacks (can be eggs, salami, cheese)....there's no end to the possibilities.

Search for Linda Sue's low carb recipe site. She has hundreds of low carb recipes.

In the end, cooking your own food puts the control in YOUR hands. You won't have to wonder why you're not losing weight because YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. Even when I wasn't losing weight and I was complaining, I still knew, deep inside that I was eating clean and eventually it would come off. I keep that mantra EVERY DAY.

Quote:
I am just so frustrated about this weight loss...or lack thereof! I graduate with my bachelors in psychology on December 12th and I have been determined to be 20lbs down by then. Maybe I'm setting my standards up too high. Because I haven't been successful losing this weight, there is no way I'll be that much weight down by then.

Anyway, I know this thread isn't about us, it's your thread, but I really need words of encouragement or ideas of what to eat. I read through your meals and might try to get as close to the things that you eat as I can.
You can lose the weight--it's harder when you have less to lose, but I think you can do it---even if you're closer to goal, you'll feel better!

OH--let me correct you--this thread IS DEFINITELY about US!! You all helped me, you continue to help me and I will DEFINITELY pay it forward by helping YOU...that goes for anyone who wants my help!

...and even though you ate some "fun size" bars, don't despair! I checked the carb count on some that my husband picked up. The MOST each of them has is 9 carbs. SO even at four, you only ate a little more carbs than what was in those Atkin's bars. (I'd rather have to fun sized chocolate, to be honest...Atkin's bars are nasty).

Please read the book.....I'm sure you can get it for 1 dollar at a used book shop (which is where I bought mine!).....

YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #875
Major LCF Poster!

Just wanted to say "hi" to Alex and Judy!

Quote:
Hi MS, so glad to hear things are looking up! We have extra that I am getting DH to take to his work too - I did partake of a teensy bit, but it helps to get that stuff OUTTA HERE!
The minute the kids were done coming around, I threw the leftovers in a paper bag so I didn't have to look at them! It wasn't a huge challenge, but it's easy to start snacking!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #876
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mayimba
Stats: 270/270/200
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb
Start Date: October 21, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for everyone who responded to me and especially Mellys_Sweetheart for going into all that detail. You are definitely making a really good point there! I have definitely become a victim of marketing. Not only that, my time constraints (I go to college fulltime, have 2 young children and a brain injured husband I am full caregiver for) makes it to where I don't have time to cook for myself. I have a caregiver that comes in to help me with my husband and helps make meals for the family, but it's usually things that are too high carb for me so I resort to whatever I can grab on the go, usually between classes.

I am definitely going to pickup that book. I have the old Atkins book and I have read it before, but I think I'll read the new one and use the menu ideas from there instead.

Again, thank you SO much. You don't know how frustrated I've been! When I did this diet years ago, I ate for breakfast eggs and bacon from mcdonalds, cheese for snack, a salad and some type of meat for lunch, and 2 nathans hotdogs with 3 boiled eggs for dinner. I ate that for 3 months straight with a little variation on the weekends. I was wrking then so it was easier for me to stick to a routine, but I lost 30lbs in 3 months doing it that way. I know this diet works, but I am almost positive now that it's the Atkins products that are setting me up for failure!

My daughters have been wanting to drink and eat the bars...I think I might just let them to rid the house of them and go back to eating what I did years ago and eating clean. Going back to making more homemade stuff even if I have to prepackage foods for the week like you do.

Awesome tips and great ideas! Thank you for the input.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #877
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I'm back to report my menu for today. I woke up late so that made my menu look small but I got all my carbs in (including an atkins bar...I know they are bad now but I was starving and on my way to the grocery store and didn't want to buy while I was hungry...that always fairs bad for me lol)

Lunch
3 hard boiled eggs - 2g

Dinner
Tuna salad consisted of:
lettuce - 2g
1 can of tuna - 0g
mayo - 0g
ranch dressing (3 tblsp) - 3g
a few tomato slices - 1g
half a cucumber - 4g

Snacks
cookie dough atkins bar - 3g (net carbs)
3 boiled eggs - 2g

That's a total of 17g of carbs today. I feel like I ate too many eggs and could have added more meat of some kind. The only meat today was that can of tuna. And that atkins bar which you told me is not really the net carbs they say.

I peed on a ketostix tonight and peed in the "moderate" range so I was excited about that. I put all the atkins bars out of my sight and told the girls to eat them (they like them too...lol) to help me eliminate them without throwing them out.

During grocery shopping tonight I bought chicken legs, wings, breasts, sliced salami and 2 large blocks of cheddar cheese. I plan on making all homemade stuff from now on. No more processed fast foods (or at least very minimum) and more more atkins products.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Melle. I am thinking I'm going to start my own blog on this forum so that I can be accountable and have people hunt me down if I don't post what I've eaten and/or where I've been. lol. I do better when I know people are "watching" over me. lol

Hope everyone had a great day!!!
Joan
mayimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #878
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 8

First off, Mayimba...you are my hero! You took the bull by the horns and turned it around...EXCELLENT! I'm proud of you! You are a smart cookie! I'm not so much against the fast food--it's those damn Atkin's bars that really mess you up! Congrats!

I applaud you for taking care of a sick husband AND having 2 kids. My husband is going through some rough spots right now (today was a BAD day) and I'm finding that I'm falling apart on some days. Hats off to you--you're a very strong woman!

My day was bad, hence the late post....I haven't even eaten my afternoon snack. I'm just a ball of nerves (husband called crying from work today) and TOM arrived. I feel helpless and terrible when my husband calls me crying because I don't know what to do to make him feel better. It must be awful for him. Today I called a psychologist near his office so he can get some therapy while he's at work.

My brain is working overtime trying to figure out how to best support him. I just don't know. I called so many places today to try and find some support for him, but I'm hitting a brick wall.

One day at a time...I keep saying it....but I keep worrying that tomorrow will be worse....

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 decaf coffee

Lunch:
3 chicken legs
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Crustless quiche
Old 11-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #879
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cudabear
Stats: 168/151/140 - 5'4
WOE: 4:3 - Low Carb/Low Cal
Start Date: Sept 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayimba View Post
Ok, I'm back to report my menu for today. I woke up late so that made my menu look small but I got all my carbs in (including an atkins bar...I know they are bad now but I was starving and on my way to the grocery store and didn't want to buy while I was hungry...that always fairs bad for me lol)

Lunch
3 hard boiled eggs - 2g

Dinner
Tuna salad consisted of:
lettuce - 2g
1 can of tuna - 0g
mayo - 0g
ranch dressing (3 tblsp) - 3g
a few tomato slices - 1g
half a cucumber - 4g

Snacks
cookie dough atkins bar - 3g (net carbs)
3 boiled eggs - 2g

That's a total of 17g of carbs today. I feel like I ate too many eggs and could have added more meat of some kind. The only meat today was that can of tuna. And that atkins bar which you told me is not really the net carbs they say.

I peed on a ketostix tonight and peed in the "moderate" range so I was excited about that. I put all the atkins bars out of my sight and told the girls to eat them (they like them too...lol) to help me eliminate them without throwing them out.

During grocery shopping tonight I bought chicken legs, wings, breasts, sliced salami and 2 large blocks of cheddar cheese. I plan on making all homemade stuff from now on. No more processed fast foods (or at least very minimum) and more more atkins products.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Melle. I am thinking I'm going to start my own blog on this forum so that I can be accountable and have people hunt me down if I don't post what I've eaten and/or where I've been. lol. I do better when I know people are "watching" over me. lol

Hope everyone had a great day!!!
Joan
If you are stalling out cut out the Atkins products. The people on the Atkins Facebook page are great and they are always saying how the bars & shakes contain sugar alcohols which can be a major staller for most people and even tho the bars state fine for induction they do not recommend them for anything other than maintenance.
Cudabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #880
Senior LCF Member

Joan, good for you for taking the great advice offered here and changing the way you do things. I just know you'll see results!

MS, oh geesh.. so sorry about DH. Crying... it must really be bad. And, last week sounded so hopeful! I don't blame you for being at your wits end and trying to help.. When our loved ones hurt, we hurt. I'll send positive thoughts your way.

I am just hanging in and trying not to gain as I plan for my vacation to Sanibel Island, Florida this Thursday. I'll be gone a week. My girlfriends and I have a condo, so we'll be able to have lighter breakfasts before heading to the pool and beach for our water exercise. I'll try to keep the alcohol in check. My downfall.. well, one of my downfalls..

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
Old 11-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #881
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayimba View Post
Wow! Thank you so much for everyone who responded to me and especially Mellys_Sweetheart for going into all that detail. You are definitely making a really good point there! I have definitely become a victim of marketing. Not only that, my time constraints (I go to college fulltime, have 2 young children and a brain injured husband I am full caregiver for) makes it to where I don't have time to cook for myself. I have a caregiver that comes in to help me with my husband and helps make meals for the family, but it's usually things that are too high carb for me so I resort to whatever I can grab on the go, usually between classes.

I am definitely going to pickup that book. I have the old Atkins book and I have read it before, but I think I'll read the new one and use the menu ideas from there instead.

Again, thank you SO much. You don't know how frustrated I've been! When I did this diet years ago, I ate for breakfast eggs and bacon from mcdonalds, cheese for snack, a salad and some type of meat for lunch, and 2 nathans hotdogs with 3 boiled eggs for dinner. I ate that for 3 months straight with a little variation on the weekends. I was wrking then so it was easier for me to stick to a routine, but I lost 30lbs in 3 months doing it that way. I know this diet works, but I am almost positive now that it's the Atkins products that are setting me up for failure!

My daughters have been wanting to drink and eat the bars...I think I might just let them to rid the house of them and go back to eating what I did years ago and eating clean. Going back to making more homemade stuff even if I have to prepackage foods for the week like you do.

Awesome tips and great ideas! Thank you for the input.
Holy wow...you ARE amazing, Joan! Like MS said, you've got a lot to deal with and its great that you are looking after your own health by doing LC. I echo everyone on the Atkins bars...they can be a problem. I do have one every once in a while when there is absolutely nothing else LC I can get to - but that is rare and honestly rather just not eat because they don't do me any favors. One thing, for me, is that they have a lot of malitol, which if you are sensitive to sugar, malitol can be just as bad as far as causing your blood sugar to go up, and I find I retain water more too after eating one. I've found some recipes online to make protein bars from simple ingredients, so I do that sometimes. I know you don't have a lot of time to cook/bake - I wish I could send you some!
You're doing a great job, you will figure it out!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #882
Senior LCF Member

MS, sorry to hear about the roller coaster! Up one week, down the next...it's so hard when our loved ones are going through such difficulties. Like Judy said, they hurt, we hurt. You want to take the pain/suffering from them, but it wears you down also. You are so good to him just trying to help as much as you do. It does sound like some extra support medically/therapy-wise would help him to get to a better place where he can cope with stress. I hope something comes through to give you guys balance, soon!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #883
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 9

Well, I anticipated last night being a lot worse than it actually was. My husband had his yearly review and of course, his boss gave him he lowest possible review. He didn't even use the one reserved for people who have been off on leave, he just gave him the worst possible review which means no bonus this year.....GRRR....that's a huge financial hit for us.

My husband is okay about it. He's appealing to his boss' boss now and asking for a transfer (that he was working on, anyways). I have no real knowledge of what happens in big companies. This seems completely ridiculous to me.

Anyways...I'm on track--no bad eating, mostly because I feel so worn out. I just don't know what to do anymore....I am not religious, but I find myself praying to GOD that my husband get another position so he can be the person I married. I want him to be strong again, so I can relax and lean on him a bit. I guess I'm not the strong woman I thought I was.

Breakfast:
2 eggs
1 decaf coffee

Lunch:
3 chicken legs
3 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Spaghetti Squash with chicken breast
Old 11-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #884
Senior LCF Member

Melle's, you ARE a strong woman! Whenever there is ongoing stress on that level, even the strong need a break - no one can carry a heavy load forever! I am not particularly religious either, but I like this quote from Pema Chodron, a buddhist nun:

“Things falling apart is a kind of testing and also a kind of healing. We think that the point is to pass the test or to overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.”

I often reflect on this when I am having to say "this too shall pass" to myself a lot.

Hopefully you'll be on the "coming together" part of the spectrum again soon!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #885
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Sweetheart, I'm sending positive thoughts your way. You have been dealing with so much. Sometimes I remind myself that there's a beginning and and end to everything; nothing stays the same forever. Life is constant change. I wish peace and love for you, and for us all.

Alex, thank you so much for posting the beautiful quote from Pema Chodron. I get daily updates from her via email but I've never before read this one. I copied it out. How generous of you to share it.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #886
Senior LCF Member

Oh, MS.. poor hubby.. poor you. I remember when I was in the corporate insurance biz and a few of the higher ups were trashing me and I couldn't figure it out at all. It didn't end well (as in Alex' poem), but it did end and I grew and became a much better person with a passion and a vision. It took 7 years for me to realize what life had in store for me, but it is all making sense right now. One of these days I'll share on my journal.. I guess it's meant for more than my food struggles.

As far as you, of course you deserve some peace of mind and someone else to lean on so that you can relax a bit. We women are nurturers and our world is not well if our loved one's world isn't well. Sometimes - I have learned, we can only do so much.. Is our loved one willing to help themselves? Where are their shortcomings? What can they do to improve? Or, is it just that the management are true a-holes..

Whatever the case, we must live our life as fully as we can.. offering love and suggestions.. but, fulfilling our own dreams and passions.

Good for you for staying on your eating plan!!!

One more day and I am off on a girlfriends vacation to Florida. We girls got our pedicures today.. THIS is what I mean when I say "we need to live our life as fully as we can." Do you have enough ME time?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #887
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 10

Alex, Lola and Judy:

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. Alex--that quote is wonderful. Instinctively I KNOW that this will not continue forever but the fact that my husband acts and feels like he's trapped in a prison doesn't help matters. This morning he woke up down, so I gave him my best "positive" speech. It helped, I can tell....but....it's a rollercoaster....tonight may be something completely different.

Judy--have a great time on your trip! I haven't been on a proper vacation in ages. We did a mini-trip in July that was hampered by my Dad getting an injury. We used to go to Europe once a year....*sigh*...our next trip was supposed to be Italy, but who knows when that'll happen?

My weight loss is going well....weighed in at 298.8 today....5 lbs to get back to my low. I'm working diligently at this...new year, new goals...

Breakfast:
2 eggs
2 decaf coffees

Lunch:
3 chicken legs
1 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Note: I wanted to tell everyone about the spaghetti squash casserole I made last night. Instead of mixing the ingredients and baking it, I did it in layers. So, bottom layer was plain spaghetti squash, middle layer was tomato sauce mixed with chicken breast pieces and then I topped it with mozzerella cheese. No word of a lie, it was exactly like eating lasagna! My husband was pleased with it and so was I!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #888
Senior LCF Member

MS the spaghetti squash lasagna sounds dee-lish! I am going to have to try that here soon
Congrats on the scale victory too!
I'm glad you enjoyed the quote. I have read a couple of her books, and she has a way of putting things that is comforting, even in the midst of the hardest of times. I almost look to her like an extra mom, comforting me and advising me in a way my mom wasn't able to because of her illness (though I loved my mother dearly, and she did the best she could with what she had). Anyhow, here's hoping you can get off the roller coaster for a little bit soon!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #889
Senior LCF Member

Melle,

Sorry to hear about the struggles when DH. Glad to hear your "pep" talked worked some.

Congrats on the continued weight loss.

Sorry I haven't been posting. I just had the 2 most massive days filled with schoolwork and family stuff. I will however report that since I stopped eating those Atkins bars and drinks on Monday, I've lost 3lbs! Thank you all for the advise! I haven't posted what I ate Tuesday or today but it's the same for both days.

Breakfast
Scrambled eggs
2 Sausage patties

Lunch
Homemade salad - lettuce, tomato, cucumber, grated mild cheddar, tuna w/mayo, sliced green peppers. Drizzled 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing.

Dinner
2 boiled eggs
Roast from the crockpot w/4 baby carrots

Snack
Pork rinds
Boiled eggs
2oz of mild cheddar cut into cubes

I have been real run down (Have slept 7 hours total since Monday) but thankfully low carbing gives me energy and I haven't fell over and died.

Anywho, just wanted to let you all know that I've been coming in to read posts when I get the emails and will come back soon and reply to everyone.

Hugs to everyone. Thanks for the support!
mayimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #890
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 11

MAYIMBA!!!

Quote:
I've lost 3lbs! Thank you all for the advise!
I am so happy to hear that! Honestly, I don't think I could be happier, even if it was ME! HA! Keep up the great work!

ALEX:

I need an extra Mom. I think I'll see if my local library has any of her books.

My gosh, my tummy is making god-awful noises! I'm wondering if I'm going to make it until lunch!

Yesterday's spaghetti squash lasagna left me with a great idea. Why not butter chicken lasagna??? I'm thinking I'll make a butter chicken sauce and coat the chicken and then put it together the same way. I'm excited...I think that'll be delicious!

Breakfast:
2 eggs boiled
1 decaf coffee
1 cup tea

Lunch:
3 chicken legs
2 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
1 filet of salmon
Old 11-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #891
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 12

Happy Friday, everyone!

I'm not feeling to well today--I feel like I have a hint of a stomach bug. I couldn't finish my dinner last night because my tummy hurt so badly. Weird. Seems to have cleared up a bit, but I still feel a bit off.

Not much to report today---things are pretty stable with my husband's situation. I'm beginning to feel less stressed. I hope that my lack of stress shows as a loss on the scale this week!

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 decaf coffee

Lunch:
3 chicken legs
2 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Leftover fish
1 diet soda
Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #892
Senior LCF Member

Yay for a low stress day! Hope you're feeling better soon!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #893
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 13 & 14

The day has just begun, but I'm well on my way to be very productive! I just finished my side work and shortly I will roast 4 huge spaghetti squash for this week's dinner. While they're roasting, I have to give my house a good clean. I'm going to put hubby on bathroom duty, then I'm going to vacuum and wash EVERYTHING.

Yesterday we visited the market again and I bought another 9 leeks for 5 bucks. 4 HUGE spaghetti squash for 5 bucks, 10 shallots for 2 bucks and 5kg of chicken legs for 21 dollars!!! Just for perspective-my supermarket was selling chicken legs for $8.80/kg yesterday so the same amount at the supermarket would be $44.00!!!!!!! Also, the supermarket was selling spaghetti squash for .99 lb!!!!! We weighed a large squash and it was 5lbs! We paid the same for 4!!! I think I'm going to invest in a box freezer.....

Yesterday I also made homemade tomato sauce (I had crushed tomatoes and they're lower carb than the jarred stuff), I made a super huge crustless quiche, cut, washed and froze the leeks and I marinated my chicken legs for the week. After I roast the squash today, I'm going to put half in the fridge for this week and the other half I'm going to freeze.

We've been saving a lot of money by shopping at the market and buying veggies in season. With meat being so expensive, it only makes sense to visit the market and buy meat and seasonal vegetables. SURE, they have 20kg of potatoes for 10 bucks, but there are also great deals on things that low carbers can eat, too.

I've been noticing that when I incorporate a lot of low carb veggies in my menu, I feel more satisfied. The meat/cheese only option is great to get into ketosis, but for the long haul, I need the variety in vegetables. It's better for my digestion, too.

My goal for this week is to try and not worry about my husband's situation. I've tried to put it all in perspective and I've determined that far worse things could be happening to him. We've all had work stress and although this sounds harsh, he has to realize that regardless of how he's feeling, the world isn't going to change for HIM. Everyone has problems and we'rein this messy world TOGETHER.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but my husband is a survivor of bacterial meningitis. He lost several fingers and part of his foot to a secondary blood infection that was caused by the disease. He almost died, but thankfully, he pulled through.

Having this disease and being hospitalized for 5 months made him a bit of a "celebrity" in his town (back in Europe in the late 80's, it was strange for a kid of 13 to contract such a disease)...as a result, he's a bit spoiled by his family. Having said this, he's not a brat, but he's impatient about certain things and I've noticed that his career is one of those things.

I can't keep taking on his anxiety---I'm already anxious enough! I'm not going to coddle him like his parents did. He's going to have to learn how to deal with life!

SO, that's my weekend entry. I haven't eaten yet, but I'm sure today will involve some kind of fish because I have some in the freezer. OH and I'm DEFINITELY making the flax muffins today!

Have a nice Sunday, all!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #894
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
So glad to hear you're doing well, Sweetheart. And I wanted to say I applaud your decision to step back a little and try to let your husband work out some of his issues on his own. We care so much about the happiness of our loved ones and always want to protect and comfort them no matter their age...and that of course is a good thing. But being too protective and trying to solve all their problems leaves little room for them to figure things out for themselves, to grow and mature of their own accord. So I do think you are right to distance yourself a little. That course of action will probably not only be better for you, but also help him gain a little more maturity and fortitude.

I so hope things will continue to improve and go well, Sweetheart. Have a good week.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #895
Senior LCF Member

Great perspective! I agree with LolaGetz, perhaps giving yourself some distance in that way will not only you get some breathing room, but also perhaps give him a confidence boost when he realizes he can deal with things better than he thought. Hope all continues to go well. Your menus sounds tasty tasty!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #896
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 15

Thanks Lola and Alex.

I already feel better today because I'm determined to allow my husband to solve his own problems. I'm not a huge Dr. Phil fan, but I like his philosophy about "owning" problems.

I made peanut butter cookies and flax seed muffins yesterday. My peanut butter cookies were modified from a gluten free recipe. They have splenda and coconut flour instead of the sugar and regular flour. They are pretty good, too!

My flax muffins are the basic "Dobie Muffin" recipe (that recipe is OLD...I remember it from 2001!) I added some cocoa and omitted the Davinci Syrup (it's not easy to find here and when it is, it's bloody expensive!) I made a wicked cream cheese frosting for them, too.

The chicken I purchased at the market is delectable. I could not believe how big the legs were OR how juicy they were after cooking. The marinade I made was wonderful. I'm just really happy with the quality.

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
2 decaf coffee

Lunch:
2 large chicken legs
2 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Snack:
1 flax muffin
2 small peanut butter cookies

Dinner:
1 slice quiche
Caesar Salad
Some kind of drink
Old 11-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #897
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 16

Well, what to say about today?

Work is busy, life is stressful, but at least I have food in the freezer and my house is clean. I can be thankful for small things.....

Today's menu isn't much different from yesterday:

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
2 decaf coffee
3 peanut butter cookies (the ones I made)

Lunch:
2 chicken legs
2 oz summer sausage
1 flax muffin
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Spaghetti Squash lasagna
1 diet soda
Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #898
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 17

More issues with my husband this morning. He's talking about selling the house now. I guess that means I'll be taking on more side work and settling into a smaller house at some point.

Oh me...(as Julia Child would say)....I guess I'll just keep taking it one day at a time.

Weighed in at 299.4 this morning. Probably stress-related. I'll do better...I have to!

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
2 decaf coffees
3 peanut butter cookies

Lunch:
2 chicken legs
2 oz summer sausage
2 flax cupcake
1 diet soda

Dinner:
1 slice quiche
1 diet soda
Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #899
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 18

Today is a brighter day--busy at work, husband was okay after a quick pep talk this morning. I'm trying to be more positive.

Eating has been good--no slip ups, but I think I'm retaining water due to ovulation....we'll see next week, I guess!!

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 decaf coffee
1 tea
3 peanut butter cookies

Lunch:
2 chicken legs
2 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Spaghetti squash casserole
Old 11-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #900
Major LCF Poster!

Yr 2, Day 19

Happy Friday, everyone!!!

Good gosh....I'm so happy this week is almost over. Even my husband is improving with his moods.

My eating has been good, I think! I've been eating my flax muffins and pb cookies and hopefully, the next time I step on the scale, I'll see a big whooooosh to my posted stats.

300lbs is a set point for me. It's a weight my body tends to stay at for a long time, so it may take some drastic measures to get out of this territory. I'll have to think about how I want to do this...

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
2 decaf coffee
3 pb cookies

Lunch:
2 chicken legs
2 oz summer sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Sauerkraut w/sausage