Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #721
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Hi Melle's Sweetheart,
coming out of lurkdom to give you a hug!
Sounds like a rough time and I have been through a similar situation with my DH.
And I also grew up with a mother with mental illness. I think for me, that made it hard to define boundaries with others, and with my DH I often have just put my own emotional needs aside to deal with his. It's hard, b/c doing that, well it comes back to bite me later. It's difficult to broach the subject of your own needs to someone who is so close to you and themselves hurting emotionally and mentally, its hard to find a balance.

If he takes a leave, does it have to be the whole 17 weeks? Can he just take part of that, to give himself a break to deal with this and seek some help? Does he want to seek help? I know taking a break is probably hard on his pride, but is it worse than the possibility of things getting bad enough that it does eventually affect his performance or ability to keep his job?

Just some thoughts.

Also wanted to say I think your are a great inspiration with your dedication to this WOE! Congratulations on staying on track, I hope you are able to find some relief from this situation soon.

Oh, and I haven't been through IVF, but I had hormone imbalances and that makes everything worse sometimes! If it helps to talk about your experience and feelings here with us folks on LCF, we're here for ya! More hugs!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #722
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
BIG HUG from me also. Depression is a difficult issue to deal with. I hope he decided to get professional help soon. There is no shame in getting help. Good luck to you both.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #723
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Day 287

Thanks Alex and Abby. I really appreciate your kind words .

I took my husband to the doctor this morning because it happened again--total breakdown. Fortunately, the doctor feels that he needs 2 weeks off work and some medical tests, but he likely not profoundly depressed.

I'm happy that he's finally taken the steps he needed to take in order to get help, but now I'm worried that his workplace won't accept this. He works for a multinational company, so I'm assuming it should be fine--but who really knows?

SIGH again.

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 cup of coffee

Lunch:
1 can of diet soda
Some black olives

Dinner:
Bunless Hamburgers

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #724
Major LCF Poster!

Day 288

After work yesterday my husband and I did 600 laps of swimming in our local pool. We just finished another 600 laps today. It feels great to exercise again.

Breakfast:
3 eggs fried
6 strips bacon
1 cup of decaf

Lunch:
2 ryvita crackers
Guacamole
Sparkling water

Dinner:
Flattened chicken
Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #725
Senior LCF Member

Oh I'm so jealous! I LOVE swimming, and aqua aerobics too :-) I haven't been able to go for ages, I miss it. Glad you feel great, I'm sure its good for your hubs too Hope everything's looking up a bit for ya! Cheers
Old 08-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #726
Major LCF Poster!

Day 289

Hi Alex!

I love swimming, too. I've always loved it. I have to credit my husband with getting me back into it.

You said this a few day ago, but I was too frazzled to answer:

Quote:
If he takes a leave, does it have to be the whole 17 weeks? Can he just take part of that, to give himself a break to deal with this and seek some help? Does he want to seek help? I know taking a break is probably hard on his pride, but is it worse than the possibility of things getting bad enough that it does eventually affect his performance or ability to keep his job?
He's taking 2 weeks and he is able to do that. They can't fire him. During that two weeks, I'm hoping he'll be able to get in a few sessions with his psychologist. His first appointment is on Tuesday. Fingers crossed. I hate seeing him so down and depressed.

I went against my cardinal rule about weighing this morning--I was just curious. The scale said 293! I hope it sticks until Wednesday. I love seeing losses....

Aside from all that, it's peach season here in Ontario, so yesterday and today I ate a peach for lunch. Sure--it's high carb, but I'm very aware of my cravings monster. If it rears its ugly head, I'll know that peaches are a no-no.

I think the die hard low carb approach is counterproductive after awhile. After 10 months on low carb, I really can't fault myself for eating a peach. Especially since it's a fruit and I'm treating it as a treat, rather than a new part of my daily meal plan. I don't know--your miles may vary on this, but I like the idea of "treating" myself with something that is relatively healthy.

That's all for now--I have to help my husband with something.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #727
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: This time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post
Day 289

Hi Alex!

I love swimming, too. I've always loved it. I have to credit my husband with getting me back into it.

You said this a few day ago, but I was too frazzled to answer:

He's taking 2 weeks and he is able to do that. They can't fire him. During that two weeks, I'm hoping he'll be able to get in a few sessions with his psychologist. His first appointment is on Tuesday. Fingers crossed. I hate seeing him so down and depressed.
I went against my cardinal rule about weighing this morning--I was just curious. The scale said 293! I hope it sticks until Wednesday. I love seeing losses....

Aside from all that, it's peach season here in Ontario, so yesterday and today I ate a peach for lunch. Sure--it's high carb, but I'm very aware of my cravings monster. If it rears its ugly head, I'll know that peaches are a no-no.
I think the die hard low carb approach is counterproductive after awhile. After 10 months on low carb, I really can't fault myself for eating a peach. Especially since it's a fruit and I'm treating it as a treat, rather than a new part of my daily meal plan. I don't know--your miles may vary on this, but I like the idea of "treating" myself with something that is relatively healthy.

That's all for now--I have to help my husband with something.

Ontario peaches are the best!! I wait all year for those peaches
This time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #728
Senior LCF Member

293! YAY!!! and I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your peaches. I am of the thought that fruits and vegetables won't hurt you (unless you're eating mangos, grapes and pineapples too much). People differ on this. but if you must cheat, a delicious, nutritious peach is the way to go. So glad your husband took the time off. He's lucky to have your understanding and support.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #729
Major LCF Poster!

Day 290

This Time:

Quote:
Ontario peaches are the best!! I wait all year for those peaches
Darn tootin'! I even have a peach tree in my yard that has really yummy peaches, too! My husband mentioned that he thinks they're better than the ones we bought at the farmer's market! AHHHH!

Abby:

Quote:
293! YAY!!! and I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your peaches. I am of the thought that fruits and vegetables won't hurt you (unless you're eating mangos, grapes and pineapples too much). People differ on this. but if you must cheat, a delicious, nutritious peach is the way to go. So glad your husband took the time off. He's lucky to have your understanding and support.
Yep, 293 AND I'm wearing a pair of pants that I purchased in 2007 and they're LOOSE .

You're right about fruits and vegetables, although I try to be careful about how many fruits I eat. I do eat strawberries when they're in season and blueberries, but I don't overdo it. I treat fruit as a dessert, now.

My husband seems to be doing better, but time will tell. I'm trying not to worry about him too much. I love him to death but this is up to him--he has to make the changes necessary to improve his life.

SO, one more thing: STUPID Sunbeam crockpot and it's 1, 2, Warm setting. I put my crockpot on setting 2 when I went to bed last night and it BURNED! DAG NABBIT!

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 decaf coffee
1 cup black tea

Lunch:
Roast beef (leftover from last week)
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Chicken breast
1 diet soda
Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #730
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: This time
I know one thing for sure, nobody ever got fat from eating fruits and veggies
This time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #731
Major LCF Poster!

Day 291

Quote:
I know one thing for sure, nobody ever got fat from eating fruits and veggies
This is true--coming from someone who almost starved to death on the Scarsdale Diet! LOL

Short entry today--busy day at work:

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 cup decaf

Lunch:
Slightly burned roast
1 diet soda

Dinner:
ELK burgers (!!)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #732
Senior LCF Member

Nice drop on the scale, woot woot!!! good for you!
Glad you had a "peachy" day! Yes, I'm SUCH a dork
Hope hubs' appointment went well, and that he's getting a breather with the time off (and i hope that's giving you a breather too!)
Cheers
Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #733
Major LCF Poster!

Day 292

Thanks for your support, Alex! My husband is getting the help he needs, so let's hope everything turns out ok.....

SO--good news:

My weight of 293 STUCK!!!!! I'm a very happy camper right now! We're going to a family wedding on Saturday and when I was first invited, I was doubtful that I would be under 300 by then. WELL...here I am, 7lbs under! I'm over the moon!

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 decaf coffee
1 cup black tea

Lunch:
More burned pot roast
1 piece garlic sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
1 hamburger
1 diet soda
Old 08-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #734
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bubbles1234
Stats: 176.6/171.2/150 (5'10")
WOE: CAD
Start Date: 7/1/13
You go girl!!!!! Have a great time at the wedding!
bubbles1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #735
Major LCF Poster!

Day 293

Quote:
You go girl!!!!! Have a great time at the wedding!
Thanks, Bubbles!

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day for a wedding on Saturday, too. My husband is really looking forward to going to the church service (even though he's not religious!) because it's being held at a Basilica! Should be nice--I've only been there once before.

My husband bought a huge jar of orange blossom honey, complete with the honey comb! He loves honey so much---every day he eats a half teaspoon full. It's just a darn good thing that I'm sort of grossed out by honey in general. (Can't get that whole "bee saliva" image out of my mind).

I'm having my manicure and pedicure tonight and it can't be a better time. I've had my shellac manicure for 5 weeks now and my nails are way too long to type, two have broken and I have large spaces from the re-growth.

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 cup decaf coffee
1 cup decaf coffee

Lunch:
More burned pot roast
1 piece smoked garlic sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Steak with onions
1 diet soda
Old 08-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #736
Senior LCF Member

Mani-pedi sounds so relaxing...have fun at the wedding, sounds like it will be a good time!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #737
Major LCF Poster!

Day 294

I would like to acknowledge today as official "Number of Days I've been Dieting is MORE than my Weight Day".

Quote:
Mani-pedi sounds so relaxing...have fun at the wedding, sounds like it will be a good time!
Thanks, Alex! I'm really looking forward to it.

I forgot to take my supplements this morning---argh.

OK--I'm listening to Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat". It is EXCELLENT so far. I really recommend that everyone read it. I read Good Calories, Bad Calories but this book is far more enjoyable and the information is very clear. Less of a research paper, more plain info.

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 cup decaf coffee
1 cup decaf coffee

Lunch:
FINALLY eating the last of the burned roast beef
2 tsp of roasted red pepper sauce
1 garlic sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Um...I also forgot to take something out for dinner...just realized this. Better call hubby.....
Old 08-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #738
Senior LCF Member

Happy Number of Days You've been Dieting is MORE than Your Weight Day!!!! You're doing great!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #739
Major LCF Poster!

Day 295

What a beautiful day for a wedding! My husband and I just returned from the Basilica. The service was abnormally boring, but it was a beautiful because it was a wedding!

I sat with my sister in law who is about 4.5 months pregnant. She felt it was necessary to tell me that they were going for a 3D ultrasound immediately after the church service. Blah....she didn't have to tell me that. It's not like I asked or that we're so close that I would have wanted to know. She just loves to remind me that she's pregnant and I am not. OH WELL....can't do anything about that, I guess!

Breakfast:
3 eggs fried
4 strips bacon
1 cup decaf

Lunch:
1 Garlic sausage
1 diet soda

Dinner:
I requested Prime Rib--that's all I know!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #740
Major LCF Poster!

Day 296

I had a great time at the wedding but today I'm bushed.

More tomorrow...
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #741
Major LCF Poster!

Day 297

No wonder I felt like ca-ca yesterday---Tom was on it's way! I didn't sleep all night AND I have a busy day at work today...blah!

At any rate, I do have good news. I am LOVING "Why We Get Fat"! I bow to everyone who recommended that I read it. I had no idea how incredible it is!

I find myself really having to work in order to understand the concepts, even though I'm really interested in science and have no issue understanding things like theoretical physics. I think that's a testament to how DIFFICULT it is to change thinking that you've held as gospel your entire life.

I'm just amazed.

The wedding was great....I danced my arse off. The meal was good--we started with a spinach salad with candied pecans (they were spicy) and cranberries. I ate it all---the pecans and cranberries were very few.

Next course was pasta--I passed on that.

Next was prime rib. I ate it, but it was way overcooked for me (barely pink). I left behind a Yorkshire Pudding and mashed potatoes. Mind you, not eating the potatoes was an issue because without them the plate was pretty bare. Luckily, my husband gave me the parts of the prime rib that he doesn't like (fatty bits).

Dessert was a chocolate mousse cake. Yuck. I hate mousse cake. It wasn't difficult to pass that up.

At 11.30 pm, the late night buffet had a cheese tray so I had some good brie.

It's safe to say that I didn't overeat (even though it wouldn't have mattered if I did...thanks, Gary Taubes!)

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
1 decaf coffee

Lunch:
Potroast with onions
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Caprese Salad
Chicken breast
1 diet soda
Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #742
Senior LCF Member

So glad you had fun at the wedding IDK about your sis in law, is this her first pregnancy? She might have just been nervous about the ultrasound and talking about it helps sometimes. I have a 2 year old and I remember being so hormonal and bawling the night before my US because I was so afraid they might find something horribly wrong. But if she knows you were trying to get pregnant then she could've been a little more sensitive!

I miss dancing. You are reminding me of all the stuff I need to get back to doing! (swimming, dancing,pedicure, socializing). Good for you for sticking to the program with the food. It's nice that you and your husband's eating compliment each other, getting to eat his fatty steak parts! My DH and I are like that too, but he likes the fatty/rare and I like it more done and lean
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #743
Major LCF Poster!

Day 298

Quote:
IDK about your sis in law, is this her first pregnancy?
Hi Alex!

I guess I forgot to expand on what happened with my sister in law. This is NOT her first pregnancy. She has a 7 year old from a previous marriage.

My sister in law not only has to be the center of attention, but she tends to get jealous when she isn't. Because she was the last family member to get married, I think she booked her ultrasound the day of the wedding in order to steal the bride's thunder (she doesn't like the bride, btw).

She had an ultrasound 2 weeks ago and told the technician that they wanted the gender to be a surprise. Suddenly, the day of the wedding, she found out that she's having a girl and announced it at the reception. It just stinks of her trying to take the spotlight.

Furthermore, she wanted a boy because my brother is the last person with our name. She knew that if she could come to the wedding and announce to all my old fashioned relatives that she was successful in passing along the family name, she would steal the show.

She told me last Christmas that she would have my parents' first grandchild. *shrugs* it hurt my feelings back then, but I'm over that now. Let her have their grandchildren....I'm focusing on myself now.

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
2 decaf coffee

LUnch:
Pot roast with onions
diet soda

Dinner:
Zucchini, onion and chicken ratatouille
diet soda
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #744
Senior LCF Member

Oh brother... sounds like you got a live one there in your SIL. From your explanation she sounds like the kind of person I've always avoided as much as possible! I remember being quite perplexed in my youth about why men liked women that pulled that kind of drama and attention seeking, or maybe it was because it was so polar opposite to my own personality that I just can't identify. I have fortunately never had relatives or in-laws that behave in such a way, but we are also a very small family as only my immediate family and a few cousins live in the US, everyone else is scattered around the globe. DH's family can be a little dramatic, but they live on the other side of the country too.

Anyhow, you have good point. Let her have it, and focus on yourself. You are sticking with your healthy choices and have lots to look forward to!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #745
Major LCF Poster!

Day 299

Alex: Unfortunately, I have another drama queen that works with me. I don't know which one is worse....Thankfully, I have the ability to block most of the crap out of my mind!

Not much to report today. I did my Wednesday weigh in and I'm at 295. Not too shocking--I have my period.

Ah well...I'm having a decent day at work, tying up all the loose ends. Tonight I'm watching Catfish with my husband. We recorded it last night.

OH--totally non-weight related but I called my cable company and arranged a deal that saves us $40 per month! Hey hey hey...saving money is fun! LOL

Breakfast:
2 boiled eggs
2 decaf coffee

Lunch:
Roast beef with onions
1 diet soda

Dinner:
Flattened chicken w/yogurt sauce
Carbonated water
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #746
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/292.8/185
Start Date: April 2013
you must tell me how you got your cable people to save you money!! this has been on my mind non stop lately. Thinking of switching to dish, etc. How did you do it?
rcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #747
Major LCF Poster!

Hi RCookie!

We have our home phone, cable and internet on a bundle (we have the same provider for all three). A new cable provider (actually satellite) was advertising in our area, so I called for a price. The price I received from the new company was much better than what I'm paying now (about $10 per month) so I called my company and asked what they'd charge me for JUST my internet and phone. Of course, they knew that I was thinking of switching, so rather than losing my cable completely, they cut me a deal on three services that allowed me to save $40 per month.

I do this quite a bit---I pit one company against the other in order to get better pricing.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #748
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rcookie
Stats: 325/292.8/185
Start Date: April 2013
Good idea. I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know!
Great job!
rcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #749
Major LCF Poster!

Day 300

At work early this morning, hoping to get more work done.

I weighed myself this morning and I'm down to 293.8. Whew...I knew it was water weight, but I SURE didn't want to see the scale going up.

This morning I considered that I may just hit the 80 lbs lost mark before the year is up. That would be SO incredible. I'd be happy to say I lost 70 lbs, really. I've never dedicated myself to my way of eating the way I've done it this year. I didn't think about it much when I started, but I don't think even I thought that I would make it a full year. I didn't doubt that I'd keep on my eating plan, but I never thought I'd keep a BLOG. WOW.

Breakfast:
2 soft boiled eggs
1 decaf coffee

Lunch:
Crockpot roast beef
1 diets soda

Dinner:
Zucchini, onion, tomato, cheese casserole
Sparkling water
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #750
Senior LCF Member

Day 300! WOW! you inspire us all. I have no doubt you'll see amazing numbers on day 365!