Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
So what are your totals since you began, Melle's?

Glad to see you are hanging in and posting and really committing to taking care of yourself.

Sorry about your issues w the hubs, too. I totally relate. My husband is a complete weirdo about my folks, too. I think it is his issue and probably goes back to his childhood or something. Can't change his personality though. We humans can sometimes have pretty profound imperfections. But gotta take the whole package, you know? And it sounds like from previous posts your hubs is a great supporter of YOU. And that's what counts the most.

Leslie

PS I don't get the whole "You need to tell your husband your weight" thing. Why???
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Day fifty-four!

Gabby...my stats are what they are in my info. I consider them my official weights. The six lbs was a mid week weigh in so I don't count it.

The psychologist felt that I had to be honest about my weight to keep from falling into past bad behaviours like bingeing.

Today I decorated my house for Christmas and I'm going to another company Christmas party tonight.
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

DAY FIFTY FIVE!

Inching closer and closer to SIXTY days! Wow.

Last night was the second of my two company Christmas parties. For an appetizer, I had a small piece of eel (about 1" x 1") that tasted slightly sweet (it was BBQ'd) and I had one large sea scallop. My main consisted of a half duck (!!) with Grand Mariner sauce. The sauce wasn't very plentiful, so whatever amount of carbs it had was pretty low just by virtue of the amount I ate. I asked for a caesar salad instead of the root vegetables that came along with it and and I had a cheese tray for dessert. I hate a half of a strawberry and two raspberries with my cheese and I didn't have any of the crackers or the pear that came along with it.

All in all, I think I did well considering this was an Italian restaurant with tons of pasta dishes and risottos.

I have a Christmas Eve dinner with my family at a popular buffet, but the low carb options there are very plentiful--no worries there.

My period is way off--I have no idea when it'll finally show but I'm due today. Sorry I had to throw that in, but it's a weird side effect of eating low carb that I don't particularly enjoy--I'm usually very, very regular.

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
PS I don't get the whole "You need to tell your husband your weight" thing. Why???
I know I gave a short answer to this already but I wanted to elaborate on it a bit.

I think my psychologist has a point. As long as I keep my husband in the dark about my weight, it's my dirty little secret. That leaves me open to making strange decisions (oh, I'm the weight I've ALWAYS been, it's ok for me to cheat and have a chocolate binge)...or something silly like that.

I know it's easy to feel defensive when someone suggests that you do something outside of your comfort zone, but I really have to come to terms that my husband married me regardless of my weight. I think my psychologist wants me to realize that.

My biggest problem is that my Husband has what I consider the "typical" European mentality ("Americans" eat too much and are all overweight). I put "Americans" in quotations because I'm bloody well CANADIAN but they call me an American. Annoying, but WHATEVER.

His mother has the same attitude and always gives me hints on what I SHOULD be eating. She's a great lady but before this summer (when she visited and I cooked her dinner EVERY DAY) I think she thought I was eating fast food everyday and THAT'S why I was SOOOO FAT.

I don't believe in stereotypes. As soon as Europe catches up to the US, they'll have an obesity epidemic, too. It's not the amount of food they eat, it's what they're eating. My mother in law isn't thin and she cycles everywhere (she doesn't drive). If the calories in/calories out theory is correct, she should be stick thin. In the Netherlands, convenience foods are popular and my husband's family ate them. Add on potatoes as their most popular "vegetable" and you have a recipe for obesity. England is another good example---tons of takeout and a society that doesn't value cooking and people are ballooning fast.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

DAY FIFTY-SIX:

Blah.

Just Blah.

I haven't cheated, but I feel so sluggish and annoyed today. It's 9.00 am and I'm hungry--what the HELL is that all about?

I'm just fed up.

Weighed myself this morning and I'm up one pound from my posted stats. Brilliant.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sassy40
Stats: 303 at start 10/30 Down to 244
WOE: Very low carb
Start Date: Start again10/30/2012
Hi there I have been following this from the start. And I want to let you know don't give up! You are doing so good and you inspire me to stay on plan. I also get on the scale daily it keeps me in check. Go to the recepie room i have found some awesome things there. I was dying for a mcdonalds peperment hot choc, looked it up 29 carbs. I made my own went and got some peperment extract and yummy. Please stay with it.
sassy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Sassy!

I promise to stick with it for 365 days, regardless of what may happen.

My day ended horribly at work---I had a meeting with my boss and his emotional reactions derailed the meeting. I had to come home and take two tranquizers to calm down. I ate some Lindt 90% chocolate-6 carbs but didn't binge. Small victory for such a terrible day.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: Low Carb ala JUDDD
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Sending you a hug
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Day Fifty-Seven:

Thanks for the hugs, Seabreezes...

I weighed myself today (unofficially) lower than yesterday but still up from my stats. It's not the weight that bothers me right now, it's all the turmoil going on at my job.

Everyone says that jobs are replaceable, but the stress that others can put on you at times is crippling. I work with a highly toxic co-worker and a boss who lies and plays a lot of games. The two of them keep me on my toes.

More later. I have Friday off so I'm swamped trying to get my work done this week.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

DAY FIFTY-EIGHT:

Well, good news---I lost less than a pound, but I still LOST!

Almost 60 days in and I've noticed a bit of a drop off in support, but that's ok. I've been VERY negative lately and no one wants to follow a negative poster. I'm feeling better today so hopefully, everyone jumps back in.

So..yay me!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

You will get there. We didn't gain this overnight as we both know. It is frustrating when you are not seeing the weight drop and this is when I usually give up. Not this time. and less then a pound lost is better then a gain!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for being the voice of reason, Sassy!

I needed to hear that....I wasn't thinking about the poundage when I was pounding back a dozen cupcakes in 8 hours so I'm not about to start obsessing while I'm doing something positive for my weight.

Note--my co-worker had a bad run in with the boss this morning and went out and had a big mac for lunch. I told her not to eat emotionally and her response was "I don't f'ing care". She already has high blood pressure--not good at all.

I feel good about doing something that is positive for my body. I could have easily binged on Monday when I had such a terrible day at work....but I didn't.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

I get fustrated when the scale does not move, I am dying to see 279 but i tell myself it WILL come. If i eat like i used to I will gain and that is NOT a option! I am trying to set goals at 5 pounds this is easier for me. I started at 303 so when i saw 299 i was thrilled, then 295 came thrilled again and so on and so on. I have not set a goal weight this sets me up to fail everytime. You are doing great and like I said the recepie room is fantastic.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #284
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennifer
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: on and off, up and down since 1/30/07
Hi Melle's Sweetheart!

You are doing great! Almost 2 months and going strong! I'm so proud of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post
D

Everyone says that jobs are replaceable, but the stress that others can put on you at times is crippling. I work with a highly toxic co-worker and a boss who lies and plays a lot of games. The two of them keep me on my toes.
I have the same situation at my office Good for you for not letting a bad day cause you to binge; I'm not always so strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post

Almost 60 days in and I've noticed a bit of a drop off in support, but that's ok. I've been VERY negative lately and no one wants to follow a negative poster. I'm feeling better today so hopefully, everyone jumps back in.

So..yay me!
My journal can get pretty negative, but we have to remember that losing weight is not always pretty. It's my place to get out my struggles, frustrations and fears, and many people have thanked me for being so honest. Of course I share my success too, so it's not all bad
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Day Fifty-Nine!

Hi Jennifer and Sassy!

Thanks for chiming in and lending your support during this rough time. I can tell you that today I'm back to my positive self (and it's not just because I'm off work tomorrow! ).

Something very strange is happening with my cycles. My period is 5 days late again this month...and I'm not even sure if it's 5 days late because it's not here yet! I've been getting symptoms, though....weird. What I'm NOT going to do is start thinking that I'm preggers, because I'm not. The last time, I took a pregnancy test and got my period the next day--it's like karma.

So---the reason why I'm off tomorrow is because I'm having a friend of my husband's from the Netherlands pop by (he's in Chicago for a conference and he's coming to our place in Canada for ONE DAY and then flying back to Europe). I have to clean the house, get the guestroom ready and etc. No big deal, but it is exciting to have visitors, especially so close to Christmas.

On Sunday, I'm having a dinner at my house for my Dad's birthday. I'm having veal chops with mushrooms, simmered in a cream sauce, some broccoli and a salad. Easy peasy. Nothing fancy or carbolicious.

Another very busy day ahead of me at work. In fact, I was just interrupted by a co-worker as I tried to update my journal.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Hey Melle's!

Don't worry about negative posts- they are the most interesting to read. Everyone has bad days. You are brave to put everything out there.

I truly love the idea that you have committed to doing this WOE for 365 days. In fact that inspires me to do the same.

I think your periods might also be affected by stress! Work sounds pretty hellish. Sorry to hear it.

Lastly, you sound like a wonderful wife. Your husband is lucky to have YOU!

Leslie
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Lastly, you sound like a wonderful wife. Your husband is lucky to have YOU!
Wow, Leslie! What a nice thing to say!

I'm very lucky to have my Husband, too. I say I'm doing all these things, but he helps me, too....apparently, he arranged for a very special Christmas gift that he has to pick up at FedEX tomorrow. I have NO IDEA what it is. What a surprise this will be!

I'm waiting for my parents to arrive at my office---they're coming out to have lunch but I'm starving now!!! WAAAHHHH!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

DAY SIXTY!

Wow...2 months! It doesn't even FEEL like two months!

In all honesty, I shouldn't be here right now but I had to make my post for today because I'm only going to be busier as the day wears on.

Guess who arrived this morning?

AUNT FREAKIN' FLO.

WHY on the busiest day of the year for me? I took a day off to clean the house and get ready for our visitor and my body decides that THIS is the day I should be blessed with my monthly GIFT.

AH WELL.

Sixty days cheat free and more important, BINGE free.

That's definitely something worth celebrating.

Have a great weekend, my anti-carb friends!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #289
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Still checking in on your progress Melle's Sweetheart! Keep up the good work and try to enjoy your day off (despite TOM) and your weekend!!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Day Sixty-One:

Posting from my phone.

I had three glasses of red wine last night! Wow.. A record for me! It was yummy though....

We're off to do some sightseeing today and then lunch at the same resto where I took my hubby for his birthday.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #291
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennifer
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: on and off, up and down since 1/30/07
2 months is amazing!!!! Good job!!!

Hope you're enjoying your guest. Sounds like you have a fun day planned...enjoy!
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

How ya doin', Melle's?
Hope you had a good weekend with the visitor.
Thinking about you and hoping you are doing OK.
Leslie
Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Day Sixty-Two:

WELL, the weekend is over and by all rights, I should be in bed by now.

The day with our visitor was great but very, very tiring. Friday morning I woke up with TOM...GREAT...but by 9.00 am, I was cleaning, dusting, washing, tidying up bedrooms, cleaning bathrooms, changing lightbulbs--you name it. By 2.00 pm, we were out running around doing some last minute Christmas errands that I can't do this coming week (mainly things for my parents--buying gifts, picking things up, etc)...by 6.00 pm, we were back home. I quickly ate a dinner (a dried sausage and a can of diet coke) and had a shower and we were off to the airport to pick up our visitor. Back at 9.00 pm, had some cheese, wine and was awake until 1.30 am when I politely excused myself to go to bed.

Saturday morning at 9.00 am I was awake again, slightly hung over (3 glasses of wine, REALLY?) and we got dressed and went shopping with our friend (he wanted some items from Baby Gap for his kids) then went out for a nice lunch and after that, presto change-o.....back on the road to the airport.

Needless to say, we returned from the airport, did some groceries and by 7.30, I fell asleep on the couch for 2 hours. Went to bed at 11.30, was up again this morning at 9.00 (usually don't sleep so late, sheesh!) and it all started again. I had to finish some work at home (long story, I have a small business on the side, besides my full time job) AND I had to shop for the dinner I was having tonight for my Dad's birthday. By noon, I was out the door with my shopping list and by 2.00 pm, I was back home, preparing dinner. At 4.00 everyone arrived, we ate, looked at photos of my sister's vacation, opened my Dad's gifts, everyone ate cake, then I cleaned up.

It's 10.30. I'm showered. My kitchen is clean, the dishes are washed and put away and I swept the floor. That's IT for THIS weekend.

I'm bloody well tired and this week at work is going to be BRUTAL to say the least.....

ONWARD Low Carb Soldiers!!!!

OH--and I kept on plan. My sister in law made an ice cream cake from scratch and I didn't have a smidge....

Hi Jennifer and Gabby---thanks for coming by and reading my blog...sorry I didn't acknowledge you earlier...my brain is all foggy and stuff.....

Last edited by Melle's_Sweetheart; 12-16-2012 at 07:35 PM..
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Day Sixty-Three:

I'm at work..it's like armageddon here--the copier is down, the fax is down, it's quarter end, the order entry person is angry and off-loading crap for me to do (yep, they pay me MORE than her, but my time is wasted doing her job) AND my boss is giving me the cold shoulder for going on the second week now.

My only saving grace is that my dear Hubby is only working a half day today. That means I can go home after work and I can just put on my jammies and relax without having to rush to make dinner and pick him up from the train station. Small luxuries.

I really wish I could add more, but not today...too busy.

Keep the faith all!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Day Sixty-Four:

Back at work....my husband and I were discussing the differences in the "cultures" of our jobs this morning. He works at a major bank in the investments division--this week, it's all about cakes, cookies and just general "coasting" until the end of the week when everyone is off for Christmas.

At my office, it's CRAZY. We're being flogged to get orders in for quarter end (I'm even entering orders even though it's not my job!) and our parent company in the US actually releases new pricing this week so we have to scramble to get the database updated. Not much Christmas cheer (our office assistant actually trashes our Christmas cards) and although I'd love to bring in cookies, I don't because I'm dieting AND the boss is diabetic!

Thankfully, my boss' daughter is coming in tomorrow to help me out a bit...whew.

Tomorrow is weigh in day...I have a feelling (read: I weighed myself this morning) that it isn't going to be good at ALL. Not sure what the HELL is going on, but I have to get to the bottom of this, STAT.

Have a great day, all!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Melle's Sweetheart - stress and all the hormones that go with it can have a huge affect on our weight. It sounds like you have a tremendous amount of that right now. You poor thing!! I don't miss those Corporate days at all!! Maybe stop agonizing over the scale for right now? Just do your LC thing (I am not saying to cheat!) and not worry about the scale until after Christmas. Also, I have read about Carb Cycling being a good thing to do for a stall... or a "Fat Fast". But, why don't you wait and just shake things up right after Christmas? Possibly your body is just regrouping and getting ready for the next whoosh! Good luck honey!

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: Low Carb ala JUDDD
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Sending a hug

It doesn't sound as if you will get any extra time off for Christmas!

Yes, stress is terrible on our systems. Take a deep breath and don't let the scale rule you. You are doing so well with your cheat free days and no binging.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It doesn't sound as if you will get any extra time off for Christmas!
I do---I am at work until Friday and then I don't go back until after New Year's Day.

Quote:
But, why don't you wait and just shake things up right after Christmas? Possibly your body is just regrouping and getting ready for the next whoosh! Good luck honey!
That's a good idea...I think I'll investigate that. Even my husband suggested a meat and egg fast this morning.

Thanks for the good luck and hugs....
Old 12-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Day Sixty-Five:

Well, it was weigh in day today and I haven't lost anything since last time I weighed. I was exactly the same weight as last week this morning--332.8.

I'm a bit peeved about it, but what can I do? It's the Christmas season, I had three restaurant meals to attend (and I have another on Christmas Eve). I blame restaurants because it's so difficult to know EXACTLY what's going into the food.

I had blood work this morning because I'm not feeling well. I have heart palpitations, my pulse is slow and my heart beat is rather irregular. I'm thinking it could be my thyroid. I guess I'll find out.

I have a doctor's appointment on January 4th (and for those of you who think the Canadian way is better---that was the quickest appointment I could get for HEART ISSUES unless I went to the hospital emergency ward).

Have a good day!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Melle's, it does sound like your hormones are out of whack- maybe it is your thyroid hormone- would explain your delayed periods, your slow heart rate, and your lack of weight loss despite being so on track with your eating.

Keep us informed!
Don't give up hope! I once went three weeks with NOTHING to show for it and then- whoosh- 6 pound loss all in on e week!

Leslie