Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Trish, congrats on doing so great with your induction eating, exercising and the resulting loss of weight. Your dinner of a strip with stuffed mushrooms sounds good to me.

I love knowing that I have dropped enough weight to be able to go down a size. I cannot see that I have lost weight in the mirror but I can see my clothes are getting smaller and it seems impossible that they fit but they do. You should definitely get some new bottoms and enjoy all the results of your hard work.

My body is a wreck and over the next six months I know it'll look worse. I know I will have to have surgery for some serious hanging skin. But it is what it is and I will be healthy in the long run. I will have to say I thought my boobs would be a 40dd right now rather than the 40 "longs" I have. I am thankful for good bras!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
I agree what keeps me eating this way is making foods that I like. There are so many choices that I don't miss the junk food or all the carby stuff.
Speaking of good LC food, I just discovered roasted brussels sprouts. They are crunchy and salty and dip-able and sent from heaven!! I have some in the oven as an afternoon snack as we speak. Much better than processed crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
I will have to say I thought my boobs would be a 40dd right now rather than the 40 "longs" I have. I am thankful for good bras!
.... Oh, how I desperately wish that I didn't know exactly what you mean!!!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am feeling funky, damn it. I bounced up a pound over the past few days and it is messing with my head. The weight of 212 has been haunting me since mid December and I desperately want to get away from it. When I saw 211, I thought I had broken free from the shackles of 212 so I am bummed. I know I can rationalize and be logical and accept it as a little bounce (I do have TOM as well), but instead I find myself whining and frustrated. Twelve days of Induction had me drop the excess I was carrying around from the higher carbs I ate two weeks ago and then that one fantastic extra pound... But it didn't stick.

In an effort to keep more accountable, I tried daily weighing this week. NOT GOOD. That will have to stop. Backfired on me big time!

Regardless of the rational things, my mind is being messed with and I think I need to back away from Induction this week. I'm feeling the sleeping dragon that is my binge eating disorder rumbling in the distance and I can't risk waking it. I am aware that I am feeling like I have been 'depriving' myself this week by limiting foods I enjoy in an effort to drop pounds. Since the scale isn't moving, I am feeling let down and like a failure. This gets me thinking I need to restrict even further than I have and that gets me panicking since I have already been skating right on the edge of my comfort zone. As it is, I don't eat fruit, nuts, legumes, flax, yogurt (all things I hoped to enjoy long term in my LC maintenance). Over the last twelve days, my food intake has been:

B- 1 egg, 1/2 raw spinach, 1oz cheese, 1 coffee
L- 4 oz. Chicken tenders mixed with mayo, 1/2 cup raw spinach
S- coffee
D- 6-8 oz. protein with 2 serving of roasted vegetables in oil with 1 can of diet soda
60 ounces of water

I certainly don't want to cut back more. Anything less than the above feels very restrictive to me... I mean, we should be eating 5 servings of fruit and veg a day and I eat three veg. Is that irrational? Does the above look like too much? Then I got to wondering if it wasn't enough. I had been eating more natural peanut butter and heavy whipping cream and cheese with more artificial sweeteners previously but wanted to try and eat 'cleaner'. I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed and confused about where to go from here and what my lifelong eating habits are going to have to look like. I don't want to stop here at 212/ size 18. I want to lose more weight and get into smaller sizes but I also feel that what I have been eating this year strikes the perfect balance to manage both my desires to binge and to be healthy. What if I have to stay right here?

So I'm thinking that this next week I need to plan a menu that addresses my mental health instead of addressing my desire to break past 212. I haven't done all of my meal planning yet, but I'm toying with this:

B- LC Pancake (1 egg, 1 TBLS HWC, and 2TBSP of flax meal) topped with butter and SF maple syrup with coffee
L- Spinach and gorgonzola egg bake (Linda Sue recipe)
S- Coffee
D- Protein and vegetables (torn between limiting my veggies to 1 cup or 2 cups measured raw) with diet soda can
S- something sweet: ricotta with flavored Torani SF syrup OR natural PB mixed with HWC and Splenda OR 1 ounce of nuts OR one serving of SF chocolate

40 ounces of water (could I be drinking too much water by chugging 60 oz?)

I think the above menu will make me feel satisfied while still feeling healthy (physically and mentally). And who knows?... Maybe the addition of flax, HWC, and an evening snack will be helpful. I really can't say at this point what the heck is going to work. I'm just trying to keep my head straight.

My new TaeBo DVD should be arriving any day now, and I believe introducing that to my routine will be good for me both mentally and physically. Mentally, it allows me to release steam and frustration by kicking and punching it out. Physically, it is a killer cardio workout with lots of strength training to trim and firm. Surely I will be burning more calories than I have been during my walk/jogs (I hope). My body seems so flabby to me suddenly (probably partly mental!). The Tae Bo is a great step towards doing what I can to help that as much as possible without surgery (I don't want to go that route if I can avoid it).

Another thing I thought I might do this week is record my daily food intake in a journal. I started to move away from that but think it may be a better way for me to keep accountable on a daily basis instead of the daily weighing. Plus it will allow me to look back at food intake as it correlates to weight. Maybe that alone with get me to break through this vexed 212.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer! Ech!! I hate living in my neurotic head sometimes!!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, I talked myself off the edge. I have a plan for the week that will keep my head on straight, keep my binging threat low, and still keep my nutritional goals aligned. I added two weekly goals to my normal food, water, and exercise goals: measure all my portions (right down to the half and half in my coffee) and record my daily food intake in a notebook. Here is this week's plan:

Breakfast - Flax pancake (1 egg, 1 TBLS HWC, 2 TBLS flax meal, 1 Splenda packet, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon) topped with butter and 1/4 cup of SF maple syrup.

Lunch - Spinach and gorgonzola fritter (1 egg, 1/4 cup gorgonzola, 1 cup fresh spinach)

Dinners-
Monday - White fish filets
Tuesday - Rib Eye
Wednesday - Roasted chicken breasts
Thursday - Boneless pork ribs
Friday - Burger

Available Veggie Options
These are already portioned out into serving sizes in freezer bags. Each day I will decide if I want one or two serving with dinner).
Roasted cauliflower (1/2 cup = 1 serving)
Roasted or boiled sprouts (1/2 cup = 1 serving)
Roasted or sautéed green beans (1/2 cup = 1 serving)
Sautéed or stuffed mushrooms (1/2 cup = 1 serving)
Fresh or sautéed spinach (1 cup = 1serving)
No sugar added marinara sauce (1/2 cup = 1 serving)

Sweet Treat Options (after dinner)
Splenda 'candied' nuts (already in 1 ounce portions, warmed with butter and a Splenda packet)
Ricotta parfait (1/4 cup of ricotta and 1 TBLS of SF Torani syrup, optional topping of 1 ounce of nuts
Peanut butter mousse (1 TBLS natural PB & 2 TBLS HWC & 2 tsp. Granulated Splenda)
A serving of SF chocolate with 1 TBLS of natural PB

Daily Beverages
2 coffees
40-60 ounces of water
1 can of diet soda

Exercise
5 times this week for 30 minutes (TaeBo at least once)

I think watching my portion sizes will help me gauge exactly what I am currently taking in so that I can make some educated decisions moving forward. The last 70 pounds came off by following the basic rules of LC (as long as it is LC, eat until full), but to continue down the path I may need to get used to smaller portions of veggies and dairy. Totally doable.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I just had an eye opening experience.

I decided to measure out all of my cauliflower and sprouts into 1/2 cup portions and put them in baggies so it is easy to stick to during the busy week. I used the Atkins Carb Counter to gauge my servings. Looking at how teeny tiny a 1/2 cup is, I would estimate I have been eating anywhere from 4 to 8 servings of vegetable each night! I have basically been filling half my dinner plate with them. Yikes!

This week, I'm going to eat my dinner off a sandwich plate so that these sad little 1/2 cup portions don't seem too puny. By the time it cooks down, it will be about four bites! Perhaps I will have two servings per evening (1 cup total when measured raw). A 1/2 cup serving of sprouts was three sprouts! THREE SPROUTS!!

OMG, I have been gorging on vegetables and thinking I was eating two servings. (and I am grateful at least I have been feasting on veggies instead of carbs and sugar, but I still need to work on cutting down on the 'feasting' of any kind).
Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lots of processing and reflecting going on today. Earlier it came with a little bit of anxiety, feeling I may have lost my way mentally in regards to my eating disorder/food addiction/compulsion issues as I've feared I've been more caught up in wanting to lose weight than on wanting to be healthier. I worried my attention to measuring and counting might trigger a 'diet' bell to start ringing and I still live with some fear of the rebellion that happens in reaction to that. Funny, even a year along in this process and I can be a scared little girl at the thought of that monster grabbing hold of me.

But as the day has worn on I am actually feeling rejuvenated and focused. I think being proactive with my counting, measuring, and recording is allowing me to stretch my healthy habits... Almost like continuing education. I feel like I am on a fact finding mission as I analyze my eating as opposed to feeling like I am judging what I'm eating. I'm enjoying what I want, but ensuring I am aware of exactly what my choices equate nutritionally.

First, I've been looking up the carb counts for EVERYTHING I eat and writing it all down. And none of this 'net' carb business. I want the good old fashioned total carb counts for everything. I'm keeping it old school!

I also dug out my very old and well worn DANDR book from the bottom of a dusty bookshelf. I had to really search for it... It's been a while. I re-read the rules of Induction, reviewed the allowed food lists, and looked at the carb counter in the back of the book. I'm not following Induction this week, but wanted a refresher. I realize I wasn't truly following it last week either, but that's behind me now. I'm just focusing on today.

So the plan is to keep totaling my carbs each day while eating my yummy favorite foods in appropriate portions and then at the end of the week I'll look back and see the range my carbs fell into. From there I can make some educated choices moving forward. It's been so long since I really examined my daily carb intake that I have no clue where I land most days. This week should prove informative.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
I would love to see what you come up with! You are a brilliant researcher as well as a truth seeker so I know you will come back with something very illuminating.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
I would love to see what you come up with! You are a brilliant researcher as well as a truth seeker so I know you will come back with something very illuminating.
Thanks Gail. I've depended on my research skills throughout my life to help me navigate through situations, so why wouldn't I apply them as I try to isolate the factors that contribute to maintaining a healthy weight? I think we should all use all the tools and resources available to us at all times. I think it is tied to being grateful for what we do have instead of focusing on what we don't.

Today I created a chart to log the foods I like, the portions, and the carb counts. I am keeping the log in my food journal as a quick reference when tallying my daily numbers. I am rounding up and counting every single carb... Even down to the cinnamon and vanilla in my breakfast and the one carb per egg. I'd rather be estimating up than estimating down. Here is what I logged yesterday:

B- flax pancake with sf maple syrup and coffee (22 carbs)
L- spinach & gorgonzola 'fritter' (8 carbs)
S- coffee (3 carbs)
D- baked whitefish with roasted sprouts and cauliflower with ranch dip and a diet soda can (9 carbs)
S- ricotta with SF chocolate Torani syrup and slivered almonds (8 carbs)

Daily total = 40 carbs
40 ounces of water
30 minute walk

I was shocked to see my 1/4 cup of SF maple syrup had 10 carbs!! That really boosted my breakfast big time. I decided to skip the syrup this morning and that knocked ten carbs off right away. Being aware of the impact made me realize the maple syrup wasn't worth 10 carbs, so I enjoyed the flax cake toasted with butter this morning. In future, I may even spread some cream cheese or peanut butter on it in the morning instead of a measly 1/4 cup of sickly syrup. If I REALLY get a hankering for syrup, I will manage on 1/8 cup to save on the carbs.

Today I did my first TaeBo workout. Holy.crap. IMHO, Billy Blanks is the absolute best coach! He kicked my butt all over the living room and my arms feel like dead weight right now. I am so excited about this addition to my fitness routine.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Good for you tracking and making adjustments. I am just like you and that is how I have been successful maintaining. I think you are forming great habits for a lifetime. When we do temporarily step off the path, it is easy to get right back on if you have the habits in place.

Congratulations! You are my hero for all you have done and learned.
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Good for you tracking and making adjustments. I am just like you and that is how I have been successful maintaining. I think you are forming great habits for a lifetime. When we do temporarily step off the path, it is easy to get right back on if you have the habits in place.

Congratulations! You are my hero for all you have done and learned.
Diane, if I am doing anything the way you do it then that makes me very happy. Your success in both weight reduction and maintenance is role model material!! Did you find you needed to adjust your strategy throughout your journey? Part of me doesn’t want to change what has worked, but on the other hand a seven week stall is a decent indication that the thing I was doing might not be working anymore. Making this lifestyle change successful (and permanent) is such a balancing act! Any advice is welcomed!

I realize I mistyped my carb total for Monday. It was 50, not 40. Here are the results of yesterday’s measuring and recording:

B- Toasted Flax Cake with butter and coffee (12)
L- Spinach and gorgonzola fritter (8)
S- coffee (3)
D- Rib Eye with roasted sprouts, roasted cauliflower, sautéed mushrooms, ranch dip, and a diet soda can (10)
S- Pecans (4)

Daily total = 37 carbs
40 ounces of water
30 minutes of Taebo (still hurting from that killer workout!)

My evening veggies are ½ servings when measured raw. I have to say, this cooks down into quite small portions and at first it was a real bummer to see what looked like 2 TBLS of cauliflower on my plate and those three little lonely sprouts. But, I have realized I feel just as satisfied after dinner now as I was before. I am still able to taste the great flavor, I am still mindfully enjoying each bite (I make one sprout last four bites), I am still able to have a variety of veggies on my plate, and I am still able to keep the carbs lower.

All the years I have followed Atkins (on and off as a diet), I really always used Induction and never quite mastered learning my CCL (critical carb level). I feel that is what I am doing now; figuring out what foods and what amounts I can eat to lose and what I can eat to maintain. It might sound dorky, but I’m actually enjoying this. It’s giving me a sense of control and choice that only enhances my commitment to being healthy (and here I worried it would threaten it!). It is so satisfying to see that yesterday I enjoyed 4 servings of veggies, 1 serving of nuts, 1 serving of flax seed, and a protein with each meal… vitamins, nutrients, fiber… all good things.

And the low carb cherry on top?..... I saw 210 on the scale this morning! I’m not claiming it yet, but it sure was encouraging.

Last edited by trishthedish; 02-06-2013 at 06:50 AM..
Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations on your weight loss Trish! That is awesome. All of your research and ongoing hard work is really paying off. I wanted to ask you a question about the low carb Pumpkin Bake I used to see on your menus. Do you still eat it? Does it stall weight loss? I've been dying to try it and wanted to know your experience with it.

Thank you! Hope you have a great day!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Congratulations on your weight loss Trish! That is awesome. All of your research and ongoing hard work is really paying off. I wanted to ask you a question about the low carb Pumpkin Bake I used to see on your menus. Do you still eat it? Does it stall weight loss? I've been dying to try it and wanted to know your experience with it.

Thank you! Hope you have a great day!
I haven’t been eating it lately. I think I made it for breakfast one week in January. I was eating it and losing back in October and November, but when I stalled I did skip it to see if it made a difference. Dropping the pumpkin didn’t get the scale moving, so I don’t see it as a stalling food for me. It has 9 carbs per serving, which is the same as what my current breakfast choice has (flax cake).

I think it is worth trying if you are a pumpkin pie fan. It makes for a great meal or a dessert. You will be amazed! BTW, I prefer it cold. I think the texture is firmer, which I like. But YMMV.

Now that you mention it, I may think about having it next week.

----------------------------
JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 eggs
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda (see update)
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
Put the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into a 6x8" greased glass baking dish. Bake at 350º about 40 minutes or until the center feels firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool, then chill before serving.
Makes 6 servings
Do not freeze
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 228 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 220 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Excellent -- thank you Trish! I really appreciate it. Everyone raves about this Pumpkin Bake recipe -- it is legendary in the low-carb community!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
Diane, if I am doing anything the way you do it then that makes me very happy. Your success in both weight reduction and maintenance is role model material!! Did you find you needed to adjust your strategy throughout your journey? Part of me doesn’t want to change what has worked, but on the other hand a seven week stall is a decent indication that the thing I was doing might not be working anymore. Making this lifestyle change successful (and permanent) is such a balancing act! Any advice is welcomed!
Thanks Trish. I did change my strategy as I went along the journey. When I first started, I only counted carbs. I never did net carbs though. As I lost weight, probably after 75-85 lb., I started watching the calories. I had not done that and for me at least I don't think it mattered when I had so much to lose. I have no idea how many calories I was eating, but it probably was 1500 or so. Just a guess. As I neared goal, I kept my calories about 1100 to 1200. Now that I am maintaining, I generally eat 1200-1500 calories and there are days that are 1900 but not often. I feel like I get lots to eat and am not hungry. If I have a high calories day, I watch what I eat for a couple of days after. This has worked well for me. I think we all need to find the amount of carbs/calories that keep us at a semi steady weight. You are always going to fluctuate a few pounds one way or the other. I try to keep my carbs at 50-75. I generally eat around 50 or so. I don't know if any of this is useful but it is what I did. When I was in losing phase, I kept my carbs closer to 30. As I maintained, I experimented a bit with how many carbs I could have. I still do not eat sugar, potatoes, starchy veggies and no grains. I do have popcorn at times. But generally my carbs are from veggies and nuts.

I think I might have to try the pumpkin bake. It sounds very good. I need to see if I can find liquid Splenda. Do you use granular or liquid?

Have a great Thursday!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks Trish. I did change my strategy as I went along the journey. When I first started, I only counted carbs. I never did net carbs though. As I lost weight, probably after 75-85 lb., I started watching the calories. I had not done that and for me at least I don't think it mattered when I had so much to lose. I have no idea how many calories I was eating, but it probably was 1500 or so. Just a guess. As I neared goal, I kept my calories about 1100 to 1200. Now that I am maintaining, I generally eat 1200-1500 calories and there are days that are 1900 but not often. I feel like I get lots to eat and am not hungry. If I have a high calories day, I watch what I eat for a couple of days after. This has worked well for me. I think we all need to find the amount of carbs/calories that keep us at a semi steady weight. You are always going to fluctuate a few pounds one way or the other. I try to keep my carbs at 50-75. I generally eat around 50 or so. I don't know if any of this is useful but it is what I did. When I was in losing phase, I kept my carbs closer to 30. As I maintained, I experimented a bit with how many carbs I could have. I still do not eat sugar, potatoes, starchy veggies and no grains. I do have popcorn at times. But generally my carbs are from veggies and nuts.

I think I might have to try the pumpkin bake. It sounds very good. I need to see if I can find liquid Splenda. Do you use granular or liquid?

Have a great Thursday!
Dianne, thank you so much for that information. I find it extremely helpful to hear what works for successful people. It is similar to the philosophy used in 12 step programs; find someone who has what you want and do what they do. Hearing about your carb and calorie range is encouraging as I feel I could happily live on 50-75 carbs a day in maintenance. Of course, we are all different so I’ll have to see where I land in that respect (comparison is the thief of happiness). And to answer your question, I use granulated Splenda.

So I have tracked carbs for three days. I’ve eaten between 37-50 carbs and finally the scale is moving away from 212. It is still way too early to determine my CCL obviously, but I like the trend that I see so far. I’m happy that I am losing while eating more than the Induction level 20 carbs. I can do a few days at that level, but I would have a hard time keeping it that low for any length of time and still keep my compulsion/binging tendencies in check.

Yesterday’s food plan looked like this:

B- toasted flax cake with butter and coffee (12 carbs)
L- spinach and gorgonzola fritter (8 carbs)
S- coffee (3 carbs)
D- roasted chicken with roasted sprouts, cauliflower, ranch, and a diet soda can (9 carbs)
S- peanut butter mousse (8 carbs)

Daily Total = 40 carbs
Water = 40 ounces
Exercise = 30 minute walk

I am still feeling all my muscles ache from that Taebo workout on Tuesday. Every little movement reminds me that I punched and kicked my butt off. I love it! I don’t want to overdo it, so I will not attempt it again until Friday or Saturday at the soonest. Slow and steady wins the race. If I push too much too fast, I’ll burn out (or hurt myself). The thing I love about Taebo is it allows you to grow with the workout. As my form gets better, it will only enable me to execute the moves with more power. I love that it is the perfect blend of cardio and strength training (for me anyway). <3
Old 02-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TGIF!!!!!!!!!! The last two weeks at work have been treacherous… I’m convinced we have gremlins in the building because every single piece of technology and machinery in my school has been crashing. It’s not easy running a school with no copy machine, no internet, phones down, Smart Boards broken, computer based testing programs crashing, cash register not printing receipts, and on top of it, lots of sick staff members calling out with a shortage of substitutes available. SIGH!!! I am beyond excited that Friday is here.

It’s funny, I came home from work yesterday and sat with my usual cup of coffee and felt so hungry. I looked at the clock and thought it seemed awfully early to be feeling ready for food since once I get home and have a coffee I don’t eat till dinner. I continued sipping my coffee, telling myself it wasn’t true hunger… that I must be ‘feeling’ something. I tried to get in touch with my emotions but couldn’t figure out why I wanted to eat. Then I felt hunger again. Perplexed, I do another clock check and confirm it is way too early to eat. Then I realize… I skipped lunch! I was so busy and frazzled at work that it completely slipped my mind.

I told myself to wait until dinner and that I would be able to have an extra coffee and an extra serving of cauliflower since I skipped the lunch carbs. MMMMmmm, let me tell you, I felt so happy with a whole cup of cauliflower PLUS 3 sprouts. It felt like a par-tay!

Yesterday’s food plan went well:

B- Flax cake with butter and coffee (12 carbs)
L- skipped (no time at work)
S- 2 coffees (6 carbs)
D- Pork Ribs, cauliflower, sprouts, ranch, diet soda (12 carbs)
S- Caramel Candied Pecans (6 carbs)

Daily total = 36 carbs
Water total = 40 ounces
Exercise = none
Unsanctioned peek at my weight = holding firm at 210

The whole lunch skipping incident did get me thinking about the fact that if I chose to have a very low carb lunch at work, I could up the dinner veggies. I’m pondering something for next week to replace the spinach fritter; maybe chicken salad with mayo, maybe egg salad with mayo, but these are kind of old stand-bys. I wouldn’t mind coming up with something newer but still primarily protein and fat. Those spinach fritters have a cup of veggie and an ounce of cheese. Eliminating that would definitely free up the carbs to use for dinner.

I will continue thinking about this as I plan and prep next week’s meals over the weekend. One thing I know I want to keep is the flax cake for breakfast. If has been easy, quick, and filling and the fiber has helped keep things moving along more regularly than without it. I also have actually felt better drinking 40 ounces of water instead of 60. Not just because I don’t like chugging, but I feel less bloated with 40 ounces. Ever since I was a little kid, I don't need to pee very much. I remember my grandmother telling me it was so unhealthy for me but I used to tell her I really didn’t have to go. I’m the same way now. I can pee in the morning at 7:00 and not go again until after 5. I rarely get the feeling that I ‘have’ to go. So maybe my bladder can’t handle more than 40 ounces? Maybe the chugging isn’t ideal for me and my body. Another thing I’m going to keep an eye on.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Trish, you are doing so well with food and exercise! I think we have to re-calculate and review where our bodies are as we lose weight. I think that age also plays into how well we can take the weight off and what our individual critical carb levels will be.

I have been weighing everything as I find cup measures are just not that accurate when it comes to veggies or really anything but liquids. Perhaps you'll get more veggies by weighing the gram equivalent to the cup measure on your food log.

Which TaeBo program did you get? I am looking for something other than my treadmill for exercise and would prefer to do it at home if I can and not have to go to a gym for now. The thought of being able to do a solid kick or punch somehow appeals to me!

I have found that when I drink more I lose better. I have a hard time chugging or forcing myself to drink water. I personally only like plain water when I eat, the rest of the day I prefer something in it like crystal light. I also drink diet cranberry juice which is pretty low at 2 carb/5 calories for 8oz. I drink both the CL and cranberry juice diluted heavily with water so I have a mild sweet flavor so those two carbs are spread out in about 40oz. My BF who HATES any artificial sweetener is always stealing my drinks now because he cannot taste the sucralose. I also have a soda maker at home that pumps fizz into plain water and we add a few drops of lime or lemon juice or just cut up the limes and pop a wedge in. The flavorings makes drinking water a lot easier.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Trish, I agree with Frankie -- you are doing super well and your menus always look fantastic. You take such a thoughtful, methodotical approach to diet and exercise -- I really admire that and learn so much from you.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
Which TaeBo program did you get? I am looking for something other than my treadmill for exercise and would prefer to do it at home if I can and not have to go to a gym for now. The thought of being able to do a solid kick or punch somehow appeals to me!
I bought the TaeBo Express DVD new on Amazon for $8. It has eight 10 minute workouts so you can mix and match (currently I am doing three at a time for a 30 minute routine). I love that as Billy Blanks is cheering you on he keeps saying, "Come on, gimmie another set! It's only ten minutes, you can do it!" It kept me at a higher intensity. The punching and kicking are definitely empowering. Makes me feel like a badass! Here are the titles of the eight workouts:

1. Fast Footwork
2. Punch & Kick
3. Power Punch
4. Kick Express
5. Boot Camp Power
6. Combo Express
7. Tae Bo Abs
8. Isolation Toning

Quote:
Trish, I agree with Frankie -- you are doing super well and your menus always look fantastic. You take such a thoughtful, methodotical approach to diet and exercise -- I really admire that and learn so much from you.
Thanks Gail. As you can all see, I tend to eat a lot of the same things but I find it makes it easier (for me) to stick to my food plan. Once I get sick of something, I switch to something else and eat that everyday for a while. Rinse. Repeat. Hope you are weathering the storm well with your LC goodies!

Yesterday's food plan went well:

B- Flax cake with butter and coffee (12 carbs)
L- Spinach and gorgonzola fritter (8 carbs)
S- 2 coffees (6 carbs)
D- Shrimp with roasted cauliflower and sprouts with ranch and diet soda can (9 carbs)
S- PB pudding (Linda Sue recipe) with one SF chocolate chopped and stirred in (12 carbs)

Total carbs = 47
Water = 40 ounces
Exercise = none

Today I had another unsanctioned peek at my weight and saw 209! Doesn't count until my next OWI on Friday the 15th, but at least I can say the stall at 212 seems to be broken.

Whoo-hoo!!!

That stall REALLY tested me in so many ways. I am so very, very grateful I was able to stick it out, apply a few strategies, and make it through without giving up. (it was touch and go a few times)

To celebrate, I went to the thrift store and treated myself to a huge bag of new clothes for $26. Every single size 18 skirt and trouser fit and I even fit into a couple of 16's!!! I remember being a size 26 and looking at how small the 16's and 18's looked. It felt great to see them on today.

I bought two skirts and a pair of trousers for work, three pairs of yoga pants for around the house/TaeBo, a jersey tunic for TaeBo (with long fitted sleeves to prevent my batwings from slapping me across the face during my fast punches), three tops and a shrug/cardigan type piece. All for $26... I do love me some thrift shopping, let me tell you!

It's amazing what a difference the right size clothing makes. I've been wearing some size 20 trousers to work and then wearing a long fitted tank over them to help make them more 'fitted'. I've even still been kicking around town in an old pair of size 22 jeans. Not to mentioned I've been swimming in the yoga pants I wear around the house. When I slipped into the 18's, I couldn't believe how much smaller I looked. Later I plan on purging my closet of the larger items to make room for the 'new to me' purchases. I also promised myself I would buy some new underwear and bras on my next payday. As I was trying on trousers, my panties kept slipping down and I noticed they were a bit baggy too!

I'm going to treat myself to a Saturday afternoon catnap and then do another TaeBo workout since today is the first day I have not felt my muscles sore from the last time. Time to rip up those muscles again!

Last edited by trishthedish; 02-09-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Trish, congratulations on getting to a lower size! That is fantastic!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm happy to report I completed another TaeBo workout yesterday. Once I had completed the third workout totaling thirty minutes, I went ahead and did one more! 40 minutes!!

Here's where I ended up with food yesterday:

B- 2 coffees (6 carbs)
L- spinach and gorgonzola fritter and coffee (11 carbs)
S- coffee (3 carbs)
D- steak and scallops with garlic cauliflower mash on a bed of fresh spinach and gorgonzola stuffed mushrooms with a diet can (11 carbs)
S- peanut butter pudding with one sugar free chocolate (11 carbs)

Total carbs= 42
Total water = 40 ounces
Exercise= 40 minutes of TaeBo
Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Your eating is fabulous. Do you make your own peanut butter pudding or do you buy a low carb version?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Your eating is fabulous. Do you make your own peanut butter pudding or do you buy a low carb version?
I make it Gail. It is 2 TBLS of HWC, 1 TBLS of natural PB, 1 packet of Splenda. I put it in a small custard dish and mix well until it firms up like pudding. At first it does seem too much of a liquid texture but after a good minute of stirring you have a very yummy serving of pudding for 6 carbs. I wish I could take credit for the recipe but it is from the Linda Sue website. She calls it 'magic PB pudding' because the texture seems to firm like magic considering how much liquid there is to begin with. I highly recommend trying this one!

I have finished prepping this week's food. Here is what I settled on:

B- Savory Flax Crumpet with cream cheese (6 carbs)
L- Zesty Egg Salad with fresh baby spinach (4 carbs)
D- Protein and veggie
S- Sweet treat

The item I am lovingly referring too as a savory crumpet is simply an egg, 2 TBLS of flax, and 1 tsp of onion powder mixed together and fried in the shape of a circle in oil over a medium heat pan. I made 5, put them in a ziplock bag, and will throw one in the toaster each morning to have with my coffee. Topped with cream cheese, it's just like eating an onion bagel (IMHO). I got the idea from a thread on the Main Lobby and tweaked. I see no need to add the baking soda like other recipes call for. When fried in the pan, it is not necessary.

The zesty egg salad is something I just made for the first time. To make sure my portions were measured, I mixed 5 boiled eggs, 5 TBLS of mayo, one TBLS of spicy brown mustard, 1 tsp paprika, and 1 tsp of black pepper (I normally just eyeball ingredients but I wanted an accurate carb count for each of the five servings). I made 5 equal portions and wrapped them up in press n seal and placed each serving in a ziplock bag with a half cup servings of spinach. I now have five individual bags stuffed into a tupperware container ready to bring to the fridge at work for a quick grab lunch. I will just spread the baby spinach on a plate and top with the egg salad. The mustard and paprika give it a kick, hence the name 'zesty egg salad'.

I also made a list of what we are having for dinner each night and cleaned and chopped all veggies for quicker meal prep during the busy week. It feels good to be ready for success.

This week's menu did lower my breakfast and lunch by 10 carbs total. This will allow me to enjoy a larger portion of veggies with my dinners and still keep to the same range I was in last week (which, by the way, had a daily average of 42 carbs and a weight loss of 3 pounds).

Another tweak is that I bought the 90% Lindt dark chocolate to replace the SF Hershey's I was eating some nights. The Hershey's had 5 carbs for one little 'fun size' piece and had malitol in it. The Lindt has 3 carbs in a square equivalent in size, no malitol, and a gram of fiber. It seems the healthier choice, so I'm going to see how it goes.

The last thing I did today was purge my closet and drawers of all the clothes and undergarments that are too big as I hung my new purchases. Feels good to be moving forward.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Trish, you are on a roll! All that preparation of foods & purging clothes is great. I am sure you are feeling very successful. I tend to eat the same things day after day unless I eat away from home. I do shake it up a little but for me it seems to work the best. I also came from a binging background so I need to keep the monster at bay. It has been quite awhile now, knock on wood. I know the things that can trigger it.

I just want to say I enjoy your journal and you are such an example of successful low carb eating.

KUTGW!!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dianne, thank you so much for the encouraging words. It is so helpful to know others that battle the binging monster can have long term success (one day at a time of course!). You really are an inspiration to me and I am grateful for your feedback. I would love to be able to say that I am half my former self and seeing that you’ve done it lets me know it can be done.

Yesterday was my most unstructured day of the week (weekends are usually that way for me) and I still managed to stay within the same carb range I had during the week. Here is how it shook out:

B- 2 slices of bacon and 3 coffees (9 carbs)
S- 1 coffee (3 carbs)
L- Onion flax cake with cream cheese and 1 hot dog (8 carbs)
S- 2 coffees
D- Homemade Beef Stew (meat only) served over garlic cauliflower mash with a diet soda can (9 carbs)
S- PB pudding with 1 square of Lindt 90% (9)

Daily total = 44
Water intake = 20 ounces
Exercise = none

Today I have found myself extremely reflective about the stall I experienced at 212 for those seven weeks. Wow, what a test that was! I really nearly lost the plot towards the end and am actually amazed that I didn’t. During that last week when I attempted a make-shift version of Induction, I had some crazy thoughts running through my head. I was convinced I had hit a wall, that my body would not lose any more weight, that I had done permanent damage to myself, that I was wasting my time with my walking, that I was losing touch with the mindset that keeps me from binging. I was so scared, so nervous, so anxious, so defeated. All the negative voices in my head were so damn convincing and the positive, self-assured voice was a whisper. I know it sounds melodramatic, but I felt like I was lost in the dark with no flashlight… just fumbling around with no idea where I was going.

I am immersed in gratitude today, not only for the fact that I have found some newer strategies to keep moving forward towards a healthier me, and not only for the fact that I finally saw the scale begin moving down again, and not only for the fact that I am wearing smaller clothes, and not only for the fact that I am feeling positive again, but believe it or not I am actually grateful for the stall itself. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes-

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn — my God do you learn." – C.S. Lewis

Today I can feel grateful for all that I learned during that process. I learned a lot about myself and my commitment to this lifestyle change, about the how my body’s needs will change as it changes, and about how my mind can play tricks on me. I know those lessons will aid me during this next leg of the journey.

… but as grateful as I am, I would really appreciate it if I could go a stretch without having to learn that way again!

Last edited by trishthedish; 02-11-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have a doctor's scale in my garage (the kind that you slide up and down the ruler to balance just right). So when I get on it, I tend to put the lever immediately to the last place I saw it and take it from there.

The last few times I weighed myself, I set it right to that blasted 212 and was excited to see it was very off balance. Then I slowly crept down... first to 211, then 210, then 209... just waiting to see that lever balance perfectly in the middle.

This morning, I did the same. Started at 212 and did the creep. 212, 211, 210, 209. When I got to 209, the lever was still COMPLETELY unbalanced! Like not even hovering... like WAY unbalanced! I got off the scale immediately. I don't even need to know the real number until Friday's official weigh in but I KNOW that I was less than 209 this morning.

WHOOOOOO- freakin -HOOOOOOO!!!!!

When I first started, I had to set the first weight to 250 and then slide the ruler up to 32 (282 pounds). Then once I hit 249, I was so excited to move the bigger weight to 200 and slide the ruler to 49. The day I move than darn heavy weight to 150 and set the ruler to 49 I am going to absolutly flip out!!! Ahhhh, it feels so good to be moving in the right direction again.

Yesterday's food plan was as follows:

B- onion flax crumpet with cream cheese and coffee (9)
L- egg salad with spinach (4)
S- coffee (3)
D- pork chop with roasted sprouts and cauliflower, ranch and diet soda can (11)
S- Brazil nuts and a Lindt square (6)

Daily carb total = 33
Water = 50 ounces
Exercise = walking

Good times.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

I am so happy for you!! The day I got under 200, I cried. But it was happy tears! You are doing great!!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
The day I got under 200, I cried. But it was happy tears!
I understand completely. That is a very big moment for those of us with a lot of weight to lose.

I’m still plugging along. Did another TaeBo workout yesterday and loved every painful, exhausting, and sweaty moment of it.

I found myself pretty hungry last night (post workout), so I ate a bit more protein with dinner. I still managed to keep my carb counts in a good range:

B- Onion flax crumpet with butter and cream cheese with coffee (9 carbs)
L- Egg salad over fresh spinach (4 carbs)
S- Coffee (3 carbs)
D- Ground beef in tomato sauce served over ricotta cheese and topped with mozzarella and grated parmesan (12 carbs)
S- Peanut butter pudding (6 carbs)

Daily total = 34 carbs
Water =40 ounces
Exercise = 30 minutes Taebo
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Valentine’s Day! I was greeted this morning to a very touching card and beautiful bouquet of pink and purple flowers. I was happy to see no box of chocolates. My valentine is very supportive of my WOE. We plan on going out for a meal at a steakhouse this evening, but the weather is a bit icky and to be honest, I might just want to spend the evening snuggled in. We’ll see.

Yesterday’s food went well. I did find myself hungry around 11 AM. That’s unusual because I am normally fine between breakfast and lunch. The only ‘extra’ food that was on hand in my workplace that fit into my WOE was some walnuts. I poured out an amount in the palm of my hand that was certainly less than an ounce, but I counted the carbs for a full ounce just in case. Even with that unplanned addition, my carb count was still good. Here’s how it ended up:

S- Walnuts (4 carbs)
S- Coffee (3 carbs)
D- Roast Chicken with sprouts, cauliflower, ranch, and diet can (11 carbs)
S- Ricotta with SF raspberry Torani syrup, walnuts, and 1 square of Lindt chopped up and mixed in (8 carbs)

Daily total = 39 carbs
Water =40 ounces
Exercise = none

So for a few days this week I noticed the trend of being a little bit hungrier. Could be lots of things: my workout, my cycle, my portions. I think I will up the protein and fat next week by doing something with ground beef for my lunch at work in place of the egg. I won’t mess with my morning routine because the flax cake and cream cheese is filling, LC, and full of fiber. It’s making my digestion run like clockwork which is very good for those of us following a LC lifestyle. I also won’t mess with my evening routine. My dinners and snack have been satisfying.

It’s just the 11:00 AM – 4 PM timeframe that I’ve been feeling the hunger. So I can either make my lunch bulkier or break my afternoon eating into an 11:00 snack, 1:00 lunch, 4:00 snack, which I know many nutritionists say is good for one’s metabolism.

I just want to be sure to keep the carbs in the same range as they’ve been and also to not tweak too much at once. I’m just a couple of weeks out of the gate from breaking the stall and I want to be slow and steady while I work through OWL and find my CCL. I will continue pondering my options as the week comes to an end.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My goal for the month of February was to hopefully get into the 75 pound club by my ‘Atkins’versary on the 28th. I did my mid-month weigh in for that goal this morning and saw 207.5 on the scale. That’s 74.5 pounds gone so far. I am only a half pound away from meeting that monthly goal!

Moving forward, I’m going to start recording my weight in my food journal on Sunday mornings. This is when I make my plans for the upcoming week by reviewing the previous week’s data. By comparing my numbers on Sunday morning and reviewing the previous week’s menu, I can make more educated decisions in my meal planning and projected carb levels.

You know, there was a time when the thought of doing this would have completely paralyzed me in my efforts towards health and weight reduction. It would have seemed like such a severe, rigid, unmanageable way to live and eat (OMG, writing everything down?! Measuring my food?! Counting my carbs?!). It would have sent my binge/restrict/binge cycle into a tailspin. The fact that I am feeling secure with this routine is a success in and of itself. Progress, progress, progress.

It’s so hard to realize in the beginning of the journey that this is a process and that different things will feel more comfortable at different stages. Of course when we first start our efforts it is uncomfortable, it is difficult, it feels awkward. What a catch 22 because you need to stick with it through that part to get to the part that it is more comfortable. This business of overcoming food compulsion/binge disorders/overeating in general is a complicated endeavor. No wonder the statistics indicate many lose their way. But not me. Not this time. I have lived and learned and I have chosen to be free of this. I will do whatever it takes to remain free.

Yesterday’s food intake:

S- 2 Coffees (6 carbs)
D- Rib Eye with butter garlic mushrooms, cauliflower, and diet can (10 carbs)
S- Peanut butter pudding (6 carbs)

Daily total = 35 carbs
Water = 40 ounces
Exercise = none

Last edited by trishthedish; 02-15-2013 at 09:54 AM..