Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Trish, good luck with the tough conversation that you have to have with your boss tomorrow. You sound truly prepared for this and ready to turn it into a positive outcome. You were very smart to plan a delicious and satisfying menu to give you plenty of support and comfort as you navigate a challenging time!

Look at how far you have come and how wise you are.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I agree ! Good Luck tomorrow.... it may go a lot better than you think.
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
I third it! You are well prepared and I know you will do fine. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Kudos for navigating the holidays so well!
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
Thank you for all the well wishes!

The conversation did go a lot better than I imagined in my worst case scenarios. I did it quickly with no beating around the bush or sugar coating. She took it extremely well and even went as far as saying that she would have been disappointed to find out I had passed up this opportunity to move to England just to stay where I am and keep my job. She said if she were my age and at my stage of life/career, she would go to. What a relief!! I felt like I lost another 25 pounds instantly!!

And so it begins. Things are in motion and I am fantastically, excitedly, terrified and joyous. I’m just happy to be making changes as I was definitely becoming comfortably numb in several aspects of my life for some time now (hence gaining up to 282 pounds). I have always been the type to say I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than to regret the things I never did. So the ten year adventure in Florida is coming to a close and the next chapter begins! The next few months will be focused on saving money, selling off the belongings that I won’t be taking with me, spending quality time with friends and family, and continuing to get into the best physical shape of my life. All good things!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today’s official weigh in clocked me at an even 212… just what I wanted. Now that I’ve completed a full week back at work, put the holiday season firmly behind me, and went ahead and shared my plans to resign with my boss, I feel like my life has resumed normalcy and I’m back in the groove.

My current mini goal is to be under 210 in two weeks at my next official weigh in. Totally doable, especially since I’ve been really on track with my nutrition, water, and exercise. I’ve gotten in all my water, stuck to my 2 coffee a day limit, stuck to my one diet can a day limit, stuck to my food plan with no snacking, gotten in all my veggies each day, and exercised each day.

Speaking of exercise, twice this week during my walk I broke out into a jog! Granted, it was only for a short burst but it really increased my heart rate and I felt my muscles the next day BIG time. I’ve also kicked up my walking pace with some intervals to maximize the cardio. It feels awesome to be achy from a great workout. Yeah, I’m a rock star.

Since it is Friday (and payday!), I am going to splurge a bit at the market on a nice steak and some scallops to enjoy over the weekend. I think I might also pick up an eggplant to bread with parmesan and make LC lasagna. The lasagna will be a nice lunch option over the weekend. Yum!

One last thing to share since I want to be able to look back at my journal and remember all of the little steps along the way of this journey; I’ve been rolling in compliments this week.

Yesterday, I walked into a board meeting at the county office and saw a few people I don’t see regularly (we meet monthly). One of them said, “Wow, you look svelte.” A couple others chimed in that I am looking really good. Then today I was standing at the copy machine in the workroom and several co-workers were in there with me. One of them said, “My God, who is that skinny girl standing at the copy machine.” Then a few others added that my waist is so tiny and my shape is so curvy. I did a little sashay with a hip pop ala a runway model. One of the teachers said I was a little too sexy for school. Finally, another county person I don’t see often came in today and said my entire face looks different because of all the contours.

It feels nice to hear things like that. I didn’t elicit such comments at 282 pounds, that’s for sure. This week’s attention has renewed my hunger for continued weight loss and is spurring me on to see the numbers drop and the inches diminish over the upcoming weeks. This helps me make choices each day that promote weight loss as opposed to maintaining.
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Trish, it is encouraging to read such a positive post about all the different parts of your life. From good food choices to weight loss to exercise to the changes in your body and the positive comments from co-workers. It is exciting to hear how great a place you are in right now. To be called svelte is a high complement as it means you look slim AND firm.

Congrats on starting to incorporate a jog into your walk. You are a rock star when you actually get to the point of wanting to have a little ache the next day.

I am now thinking of scallops for dinner after seeing your post!

Keep up the fantastic work!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
Trish, it is encouraging to read such a positive post about all the different parts of your life.

Keep up the fantastic work!
Thank you for the encouragement. I really want to emphasize the positive things to help me through the tougher times... And those of us that take this weight loss journey know that there is inevitable some tougher moments.

I planned out this week's menu and am excited about my options. I am prep cooking the breakfast and lunch items as we speak. Here is the daily plan:

B- Pumpkin Bake with one coffee
L- Quiche loaded with brats, sharp cheddar, and roasted bell peppers
S- Second coffee
D- Protein and veggie with a diet soda can
* 60 ounces of water
* exercise 30 minutes

I'm feeling kinds 'foodie' today so I thought I'd share the protein and veggie staples I keep on hand for dinner and the different options I have each night.

Protein

1. Rib Eye- I usually salt it generously with course sea salt and fresh ground pepper and then sear it in a hot pan to caramelize the marbling. I love this fatty cut and always finish feeling full.

2. Pork Loin- I coat the fattiest side with oil, course sea salt and fresh ground pepper and roast it. I try to pick one out with a good amount of fat and turn the broiler on at the end to get it brown and crispy. The roast always provides enough leftovers for me to use another time in a chili or quick stir fry.

3. Ribs- If I buy boneless country style ribs, I usually roast them and then serve them one of three ways: Mexican style topped with melted cheddar, salsa, and sour cream, Italian style topped with sugar free marinara, ricotta and mozzarella, or sometimes I just eat them as is and dip it into ranch. When I buy baby back ribs, I sometimes add little Cajun seasoning and eat them with ranch dressing.

4. Chicken tenders- Sometimes I dip them in egg and then parmesan mixed with fresh ground Italian seasonings and fry them up. Other times I poach them in oil (makes them very tender) and shred them to make a version of chicken nachos. I basically put the shredded chicken in a baking dish and top with cheese and put it under the broiler to melt the cheese and get it brown. Then I top with my favorite nacho toppings (chili, salsa, sour cream).

5. Frozen shrimp- I have a couple choices here. Sometimes I thaw and coat with Cajun spices and give them a quick flash in a sauté pan with some oil. I dip them in ranch. Other times I make a garlic & butter scampi sauce with some red pepper flakes that can be served over broccoli or spaghetti squash (or just in a bowl!). I've also dipped them in egg and parmesan for a fried shrimp.

6. Ground beef- Of course a burger is a basic standby, but I don't often fancy a traditional burger without a bun. I tend to season it like a meatball and fry a patty. I then put ricotta on my plate and put the burger patty on top. I melt shredded mozzarella on top and finish with sugar free marinara sauce. Other times I break up the sirloin in the pan and make a meat sauce that I either eat Italian style in a bowl with ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan or I add chili seasoning and eat it in a bowl with cheddar and sour cream.

7. Sea scallops- I sauté in butter until browned. I keep it simple here because IMHO scallops are perfect as is!

8. Whole chicken roaster or bone-in chicken breast- I make sure and rub all the skin inside and out with butter before salting and peppering. I do a traditional roast to make sure the skin gets crispy.

Vegetables

1. Button mushrooms- Sometimes I just sauté with garlic and/or a balsamic vinegar reduction. Other times I stuff with a mixture of garlic and gorgonzola and stick them in the oven until the cheese is brown.

2. Cauliflower- My absolute, hands down favorite! I eat this MOST nights. I am addicted to the Popcorn Cauliflower recipe from Linda Sue's website. It is basically florets tossed with Mrs. Dash and roasted for about an hour. The get brown and crispy and they not only satisfy me with flavor but also with texture. I dip in ranch. Of course cauliflower can sometimes be boiled and made into cauliflower mashed 'potatoes' or backed with cheese for an au gratin, but I haven't done either of those since becoming addicted to the Popcorn Cauliflower Crack.

3. Green beans- sautéed in a pan with fresh garlic, course sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Sometimes I sprinkle a little Cajun spice and dip in ranch.

4. Fresh spinach- sometimes I stick it on my plate raw as a bed for my gorgonzola mushrooms. Other times I make a small salad using the spinach as my greens and toss lightly with oil, vinegar (red wine vinegar or balsam in) and top with a little cheese (feta, gorgonzola, etc.). Of course, sautéed spinach with garlic is quick and easy too. Add a little ricotta or cream cheese with a dash of heavy whipping cream and butter and you have a creamed spinach party going on.

5. Brussels sprouts- I buy these frozen and boil them till very soft. I load the butter salt and pepper and usually only eat it with my pork roast. For leftovers, I've made a stir fry with the pork and sprouts by adding some peppers and topping with parmesan or Cajun spice.

6. Eggplant- dipped in egg and coated with seasoned parmesan. I fry till crispy and can eat them straight like that or use them as layers in a lasagna with sugar free marinara, ricotta, and mozzarella.

7. Sweet bell pepper- I add them in various dishes for extra flavor but also have stuffed the smaller ones with cheese and roasted them. Very nice option.

I think that about covers it for my basic staple meals. Every now and then I get creative and try something different, but for the most part I stick to a rotation of the items listed above. How can one NOT be satisfied eating this way?! Why did I ever gorge myself on refined, carb-laden crap and think it was any better than this? Dr. Atkins wasn't joking when he said we will eat a gourmet menu while following his plan.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Trish -- YUM, I love all of the recipes you posted. I really want to try the Popcorn Cauliflower! Do you roast it in a 450 degree oven or at a different temperature?

For something a little different and if you like Asian flavors, try sauteeing green beans in sesame oil, fresh garlic and fresh ginger -- it is really good. I really love your eggplant, chicken tenders and shrimp scampi dishes too.

No wonder why you have lost so much weight by staying on plan!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Trish -- YUM, I love all of the recipes you posted. I really want to try the Popcorn Cauliflower! Do you roast it in a 450 degree oven or at a different temperature?

For something a little different and if you like Asian flavors, try sauteeing green beans in sesame oil, fresh garlic and fresh ginger -- it is really good. I really love your eggplant, chicken tenders and shrimp scampi dishes too.

No wonder why you have lost so much weight by staying on plan!
Gail, I put the oven at 400 and turn my florets every 15 minutes. I'm also sure to make the florets smaller since I like them well done and crispy. I am very generous with the Mrs. Dash (I buy the salt free one) and make sure all pieces are coated with that and oil. I add salt later. They go about an hour but adjust to your taste (I really enjoy them well done). They will look dark but it is OK.

Funny you mention about the Asian flavors because just yesterday I bought sesame oil, and fresh ginger to experiment with. I always have garlic on hand. I also grabbed some soy sauce and cilantro paste. I was thinking of trying out some new flavor combos on some frozen salmon fillets I bought (again, trying something new).
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm having a rough day today and just need a place to vent a little bit. I woke up this morning about an hour before my alarm and had some mind racing, a knot in my stomach, and a tight chest. These are the symptoms I feel when anxiety gets a hold of me. These symptoms are uncomfortable, but I used to suffer from full blown panic attacks and at certain times in my past I even needed medication to control it (like freshman year of high school when I was borderline agoraphobic and could barely leave the house without an attack), so this is actually a vast improvement.

Having said that, it still sucks sometimes.

My thoughts were centered around work. This only validates I'm doing the right thing by resigning and you'd think I could find some relief in the knowledge that my days there are numbered, but today that fact gave me little reprieve. I tried to lay in bed and enjoy sleeping in a bit but ended up getting up to start the day because I couldn't shake off the incessant thoughts.

That early morning start set the tone for the day, despite my attempts to talk myself out of it during my morning drive. "Be positive, your attitude creates your reality. Today can be a good day if you choose it." Didn't work. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a horrible day, but it had an underlying anxious vibe throughout that crept into non-work related areas, like my weight. I felt fat today. I felt like my food plan wasn't healthy enough. I felt like I should be losing faster. I felt like my walk wasn't fast enough. I felt like a slacker. I found myself thinking about how I would do a kick ass Induction next week and really amp up my cardio. Stinking thinking when I am anxious as it leads down a road to binging tendencies.

But I stuck to my food plan. I took my walk. I drank my water. I took it one minute at a time and now the day's nearly done and tomorrow is another fresh start. If I wake up anxious again, I think I will get up immediately (I tried to stay in bed this morning and fight it). I will get up and put on some happy music and start my day as upbeat as possible.

Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and darn it... People like me.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and darn it... People like me.
You are. I am so glad you realize it and you need to say it out loud if you start feeling like that. You are worth it!! Hope tomorrow is better. Good job though on not letting food become your comfort.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

It is normal to feel anxiety before making some major life changes -- you are doing something very brave and wonderful, so of course you are a little bit scared! Everything is going to turn out fine but be prepared to wrestle with these bouts of anxiety -- and know that you can feel anxious temporarily and then eventually move the anxious feelings gently away with realistic positive thoughts. You just did this and you will do it again.

You should be really proud of yourself for making a few bold and positive life changes all at once. You are also doing this while on a low carb diet -- most folks going through new and unpredictable times give up on the diet because they need all of their resolve to navigate the unknown. But you are facing everything head on and making great progress. And, your diet is plenty healthy -- you eat tons of vegetables and drink gallons of water. Plus you are losing weight at a nice pace.

Hang in there. We are rooting for you!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
You are. I am so glad you realize it and you need to say it out loud if you start feeling like that. You are worth it!! Hope tomorrow is better. Good job though on not letting food become your comfort.
Thanks for the kind words. I have to pull out a little old school Stuart Smalley from time to time. It reminds me to take gentle care of myself but not too take life to seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
It is normal to feel anxiety before making some major life changes -- you are doing something very brave and wonderful, so of course you are a little bit scared! Everything is going to turn out fine but be prepared to wrestle with these bouts of anxiety -- and know that you can feel anxious temporarily and then eventually move the anxious feelings gently away with realistic positive thoughts. You just did this and you will do it again.

You should be really proud of yourself for making a few bold and positive life changes all at once. You are also doing this while on a low carb diet -- most folks going through new and unpredictable times give up on the diet because they need all of their resolve to navigate the unknown. But you are facing everything head on and making great progress. And, your diet is plenty healthy -- you eat tons of vegetables and drink gallons of water. Plus you are losing weight at a nice pace.

Hang in there. We are rooting for you!
Thank you for pointing out that I should not expect an absence of anxiety, but instead try to focus on navigating through it. As you mentioned, it does create a bit of a ‘danger zone’ in that it can try and talk me into dropping the ball on taking care of my health. In the past, I would have hit a drive through (or two) during a high anxiety day and rationalized it by telling myself I couldn’t deal with the pressure of staying on a ‘diet’. Thankfully, I don’t consider my way of eating a ‘diet’ anymore, so that helps.

I was very aware of the diet thinking that had penetrated my inner dialogue yesterday as well as the thoughts of binging that crept up in response to the diet thoughts. Although the thoughts were present, the awareness disarmed its power. Like G.I. Joe always said, “Knowing is half the battle.”

Today is a new day and I woke up less anxious. Friday is a professional development day at school (no students) and we have Monday off for MLK Day, so I am able to grip to those facts to ease my way through the muck here at work.

I also took the time to mindfully savor my pumpkin bake and coffee this morning and I’m really looking forward to a yummy Italian style dinner tonight with some ground beef, fried eggplant, marinara, and lots of cheese! Also, the weather is simply gorgeous today (though a little on the warm side), so I will make a point of enjoying it during my walk later on.

Positivity and gratitude eventually overcome anxiety.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The last couple of days I have discovered a new trick to help me with getting all of my water down. Although I have been drinking all 60 ounces of water each day, it is still sometimes a struggle towards the end of the night to finish off my last bottle. I try to sip it throughout the day but I am just not a very thirsty person (unless we’re talking coffee or alcohol).

This going to sound a bit weird, but hey… if it works, right?

I have started to chug it and count how many gulps I can get down without stopping. I started at 5 gulps and now I’m up to 7 gulps. As it turns out, seven gulps is about a third of a bottle. That means I can polish off an entire bottle with three chugging sessions. So instead of nursing my water bottles, I just stop for a chugging session a few times throughout the day. Viola! Water consumption is checked of my list for the day and I’m not sitting around staring down the barrel of a full water bottle as it mocks me.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I’ve mentioned previously that my husband and I separated. After much reflection, we’ve decided to make another go of it. This decision feels right in my gut, my heart, and my mind. My close friends and family are 100% supportive of my choice (even my very blunt, ‘tell it like it is’ sister who wouldn’t hold back if she disagreed).

I know I’ll regret not trying… and if things don’t end up working out, I know I won’t regret having given it my all. We've been together for 15 years and although we've had our struggles, we have also experienced immense joys.

I also feel grateful for the entire separation experience (as difficult as it has been) because I know it is through our deepest struggles that the most meaningful growth occurs. Because this separation didn’t destroy me (I coped quite well), I know I am making the choice to continue in this relationship not out of routine, desperation, or apathy… but because I think it is a step in the right direction for maintaining a healthy life.
We're still best friends, we're still 'in love', and I'm optimistic that the best is yet to come.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Trish, I am glad you got through your day of anxiety. I so get the urge to go through a drive through because of the stress feeling like it is too much. Kudos for you for not caving and for being mindful of what you are eating. This is a big deal and you got through it without crumbling or resorting to eating off plan.

Good for you for trying to renew and restart your marriage. If you feel there is a chance then you will make it happen. I hope you will be able to overcome the issues that caused the separation and return to the love you have for each other.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Trish, I think it is great you are going to work on your marriage. By giving it another try after a separation you will be able to see if it will work or not. Is that why you are moving to England? I know your husband is there. Kudos for you on getting through the stress in a healthy way. By giving it another try, you will not have any regrets no matter what the outcome. I would hate living with what ifs for the rest of my life. I know if it is meant to be that you will work it out. You have done so much for yourself this year! You are my hero!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Trish, I am glad you got through your day of anxiety. I so get the urge to go through a drive through because of the stress feeling like it is too much. Kudos for you for not caving and for being mindful of what you are eating. This is a big deal and you got through it without crumbling or resorting to eating off plan.

Good for you for trying to renew and restart your marriage. If you feel there is a chance then you will make it happen. I hope you will be able to overcome the issues that caused the separation and return to the love you have for each other.
This whole weight management thing really does boil down to handling stress, anxiety, heck, all feelings really. At least that has been a major part of my journey. It will never look or feel 'perfect' but it can be healthier. Something I've really been able to grasp this year is the concept that I may not always be able to do the best thing, but I can always do the next best thing. I've applied that to so many aspects of my life and it has really curbed the perfectionist, obessessive, black & white thinking that was sooooo well suited to yo-yo dieting.

And thanks a lot for the well wishes on my reconciliation. Working through our issues will take time and mindfulness... I look forward to the process.

Quote:
Trish, I think it is great you are going to work on your marriage. By giving it another try after a separation you will be able to see if it will work or not. Is that why you are moving to England? I know your husband is there. Kudos for you on getting through the stress in a healthy way. By giving it another try, you will not have any regrets no matter what the outcome. I would hate living with what ifs for the rest of my life. I know if it is meant to be that you will work it out. You have done so much for yourself this year! You are my hero!
Thank you so much for the encouragement! Yes, the choice to return to England and make a life there is part of our reconciliation plan. We lived there in 1998-1999 (he was born and raised there... Entire family is in England) but decided to settle in the US after that. I was still just 20 years old and extremely co-dependent with my family. Since mom was a single parent with mental health issues and I was the oldest child (my youngest sibling still in elementary school at the time), I felt that my family really needed me and I couldn't fully let myself go and live in England guilt free.

Although I don't regret the choice to come here, the reasons we made that decision are no longer factors and in re-evaluating our current goals, lifestyles, and priorities it is clear we are entering a new era, or Act Two if you will. We've been evolving both as a couple and as individuals (through dark and light periods) and I honestly feel we are as strong as ever at this point, again both as a couple and as individuals. It's an exciting time.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The last few days have been pretty snacky. I upped my carbs to include some kidney beans, hummus, and gluten free multi seed flax crackers. I also chose to eat a hamburger and fries this weekend. I stress 'chose' because it was not an action taken out of compulsion or the urge to binge. I really wanted it on Friday but it wasn't planned and I told myself if I still wanted it Saturday, I could plan it as my dinner and that's exactly what I did. I really took the time to savor it too, paying close attention to the textures, flavors, smells, etc. I didn't want to just wolf it down and not remember eating it.

Since I chose to up the carbs this weekend, I am planning an Induction menu for the work week to bump me into ketosis to cleanse my system of any possible cravings/urges that stem from eating higher carb foods. Here is the plan:

B- Sausage patty with a light drizzle of SF maple syrup and a coffee
L- Egg salad with extra mayo
S- Coffee and if needed, protein (salmon, chicken)
D- Protein and veggie with diet soda can

* 60 ounces of water
* 30 minutes of exercise
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Small adjustment to this week's food plan. In an effort to keep sodium and artificial sweeteners lower, I am dropping the morning sausage and replacing it with a spinach and cheese omelet. Everything else remains the same.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Trish, I do also have planned higher carb days where I indulge in one portion of a higher carb food, usually when I eat out so there is portion control. I often find I do not even finish the portion given to me. Like you if I am feeling stressed or "binge-like" I change that planned high carb food to another day. So far this works for me with not feeling deprived but still feeling in total control of my food. I have not felt like I was going to fall off my plan and wallow in carbs. It is a fine balance and if in the future it proves not to work, I will drop it. But for now I like how I am able to work normally off plan foods into my carb allowances.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Trish, I do also have planned higher carb days where I indulge in one portion of a higher carb food, usually when I eat out so there is portion control. I often find I do not even finish the portion given to me. Like you if I am feeling stressed or "binge-like" I change that planned high carb food to another day. So far this works for me with not feeling deprived but still feeling in total control of my food. I have not felt like I was going to fall off my plan and wallow in carbs. It is a fine balance and if in the future it proves not to work, I will drop it. But for now I like how I am able to work normally off plan foods into my carb allowances.
Your strategy sounds logical for long term success. I've really been focused on the whole 'lifestyle to last a lifetime' thing this time around. I know I will enjoy some higher carb foods during my lifetime so figuring out how to navigate it all is a major part of this process.

I've been doing a bit of reflecting over the past couple of days. I've been slowing down in my weight loss and I think it is partly the fact that I'm 70 pounds down and partly because my body has adjusted to my healthier lifestyle of moderate carbs and daily exercise. A coworker that has been following South Beach has lost 75 pounds in a years time and she was sharing that she stalled out a bit at the 70 pound mark. She waited it out for a while but then felt anxious to move along again, so she went back to phase 1 for a couple of weeks. Plus she changed up her exercise and the scale started moving again.

Years ago, I maintained between 205 and 213 for a solid year with daily exercise and a lower carb lifestyle. It is a range my body is quite comfortable in. For me to break beyond it might require me to be slightly more vigilant. Don't get me wrong, it is a fine line between a healthy lifestyle and a diet and if I feel I am crossing into any territory that causes my binging tendencies to surface, I must surely yield.

However, I wonder if I hold myself back a bit and don't gently push myself to my capable limits with nutrition and exercise because of my fear of awakening the sleeping dragon that is my eating disorder. This probably sounds like babbling to anyone other than me!

I am on day 2 of Induction and I normally only do it until I feel the effects of ketosis (3 days). Then I start to incorporate my favorites like natural peanut butter, pumpkin, sf tomato sauce, sf maple syrup, and sf chocolate. All of these things are fantastic replacements to my older high carb choices and they will serve me well in maintaining a healthy lifestyle, but I'm going to do a full 14 day Induction before revisiting these foods again. I'm also going to keep an eye on the sodium by going easy on bacon. If I can get a good, clean, two week Induction under my belt I believe I can break through this little barrier of 212 and get under 210.

In addition to trying to clean up my nutrition a bit, I want to kick my workouts up a notch too. Years ago I was a Taebo addict and LOVED the results. Although my steady 30 minute walks are a fantastic addition to my new healthy lifestyle, I want to try and challenge myself a bit more and incorporate something new and exciting. I'm treating myself to a new Taebo DVD (I don't have my old ones anymore). My plan is to incorporate the DVD one time the first week, two times the second week, three times the third week, and four times the fourth week. I think a solid month of Taebo will also help rev up the weight loss. This method of introducing it in slowly should help me not feel 'burdened' by the workout.

Lastly, I think I may try daily weighing and recording for the next month. I will average my weights at the end of each week to see the downward trend. I am hoping that seeing the daily number keeps me accountable more than the bi-weekly weighing does. With weighing biweekly, I find I am a little looser in the first week after weigh in and more focused the second. I want to see if this change makes a difference. If instead I am obsessing, I will lay off the daily weighing.

I must repeat again to myself and publicly, if I start to feel this is too structured or too unmanageable and find myself thinking about binging and then restricting, I will return to my 30 minute walks, my peanut butter, my pumpkin, my twice a month weigh ins, my maintenance lifestyle. I will give myself what I need and protect my best interests ALWAYS!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Day 4 of Induction and I'm feeling fine. I have had a slight hankering for my Russell Stover's SF Dark Chocolate bar with a little all natural PB on top, but I'm going to try and forgo.

I just made a lovely, simple, little lunch. I shredded some chicken breast off a store bought rotisserie and put it on a piece of tin foil on a cookie sheet. I topped it with a slice of Boar's Head Spicy 3 Pepper cheese and stuck it under the broiler to melt. Then I topped it with salsa and sour cream and enjoyed a flavorful, spicy chicken nacho sans nacho dish. Yum!

I realized today that my first 'Atkins-versary' is coming up on February 28. One year of healthy living under my smaller belt! I really want to finish the year strong and be able to say I lost 75 pounds. I think I may do a little February Mini Challenge to commemorate the occasion and keep my focus on the 75 pound goal (I'm only 5 pounds away!). I'm going to let that thought marinate a bit and revisit it later.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Wow. Almost a year of good eating. That is an accomplishment! You go girl!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Trish, I think your careful planning on all fronts will have a big payoff for you. The fact that you are being mindful of your binging tendencies when feeling too restrictive with food makes me think that you'll be in control. One way I feel less restrictive is to eat the best, freshest foods that I love. If I eat a week of my favorite satisfying food I really do not miss carbs or carb substitutes.

I am a daily weigher. I use the scale like I use my food tracker, my kitchen scale and this bulletin board. They are all tools that aid me in my weight loss. I think as long as you understand the typical daily fluctuations that go along with weight loss and don't expect it to always show a loss because your did x,y or z the day before that charting your weight can be positive. I would also suggest that you weigh only once a day. I see people say they weigh several times throughout the day and that would just drive me batty to see my weight jump up 2 or 3 lbs throughout the day.

I think you can definitely drop the 5lbs by your anniversary in February.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wow. Almost a year of good eating. That is an accomplishment! You go girl!
Thanks Diane. The fact that I'm approaching a year of a healthy lifestyle change feels as important to me as the weight I've lost in the process. The weight loss is really secondary since that's the part I can't actually control. The consistent lifestyle change on the other hand, all me.

Quote:
Trish, I think your careful planning on all fronts will have a big payoff for you. The fact that you are being mindful of your binging tendencies when feeling too restrictive with food makes me think that you'll be in control. One way I feel less restrictive is to eat the best, freshest foods that I love. If I eat a week of my favorite satisfying food I really do not miss carbs or carb substitutes.

I am a daily weigher. I use the scale like I use my food tracker, my kitchen scale and this bulletin board. They are all tools that aid me in my weight loss. I think as long as you understand the typical daily fluctuations that go along with weight loss and don't expect it to always show a loss because your did x,y or z the day before that charting your weight can be positive. I would also suggest that you weigh only once a day. I see people say they weigh several times throughout the day and that would just drive me batty to see my weight jump up 2 or 3 lbs throughout the day.

I think you can definitely drop the 5lbs by your anniversary in February.
Thanks for sharing your experiences in the areas of feeling satisfied with clean eating and daily weighing. It helps to know what works for other successful, health minded people. I've noticed your stats are dropping like it's hot Frankie!! Good for you!

Today was day 5 of Induction. Food is good and clean. I have very much enjoyed my new breakfast option. I whisk an egg and then tear up a handful of fresh spinach leaves. I add a lot of spinach... It almost seems like the egg is simply coating the leaves. Then I add a serving of crumbled gorgonzola (1/4 cup). I put it in a preheated pan with a generous amount of oil and make each side golden brown. I think it is something about the spinach to egg ratio as well as the way gorgonzola crisps up, but the result is a fantastic texture. It's almost like a fritter with a crispy, buttery crust... Not at all like an omelet. Wow!

This weekend has been the real test for me since I usually eat more carbs on my days off. I was worried about feeling deprived of my weekend 'treats' but alas, all is well. I had the above described spinach fritter for breakfast, skipped lunch (thank you ketosis & coffee), and have ground beef thawing for something LC and delicious for dinner.

I planned my food for the upcoming week and will prep cook a little bit tomorrow. Here's the plan:

B- Spinach 'Fritter' with coffee
L- Chicken Mousse (shredded chicken and extra mayo) with fresh spinach leaves
S- coffee
D- Protein and vegetable with a diet soda can
* 60 ounces of water
* 30 minutes of walk/jogging

I decided to keep to my walking schedule until the Taebo DVD comes in and then I will start that with my February Mini- Challenge. For now I'm going to concentrate on eating a clean Induction and push my speed and jogging during my walk.

I am still holding three extra pounds from last weekend's higher carb choices. I actually went up about 8 pounds total, but five left quickly. I told someone at work that just a weekend of some higher carb choices had my weight up eight pounds and they said that sounded pretty extreme. In fact, she said it sounds impossible to gain eight pounds in a couple of days and she urged me to get my thyroid checked. To me, I know my body can bounce up nearly ten pounds for higher carb choices. I think it is simply something I need to know about my body and act/choose accordingly. Since I am doing Induction, I am hoping the three pounds will go and take a few friends with it by the time 14 days have passed. We'll see.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Trish, the spinach "fritter" sounds really good. I might have to try that one morning. Feeling completely satisfied by great LC food is a wonderful feeling and you won't miss those carbs one bit.

I can gain weight so fast it would astonish most people. Your friend may just not understand how people who have had long term weight problems can gain so easily. Here's to knocking those last three pounds out soon!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Feeling completely satisfied by great LC food is a wonderful feeling and you won't miss those carbs one bit.

I can gain weight so fast it would astonish most people. Your friend may just not understand how people who have had long term weight problems can gain so easily. Here's to knocking those last three pounds out soon!
I agree that satisfaction with my food choices is the only thing that will keep me healthy long term. I'm a foodie... I will never be able to eat a rice cake and a bowl of lettuce and be cool with that.

Glad to know I'm not alone in the large weight fluctuations. My weight issues have been lifelong so my body is definitely unique to me and our history together. Years of yo-yo dieting, binging and purging (I was a laxative and diuretic abuser for a while... never could bring myself to vomit), and the fact that as an adult my weight has varied through a range of 120 pounds has all taken it's toll.

Sometimes I look at my body and feel guilty for all I've done to it. There are lots of scars (stretch marks) and lots of loose and wobbly bits (bat wings my arse, I have dragon wings), and let's not even get started on how my boobs are holding up (up??... There is noooo up!). But I know guilt and shame are not emotions that are healthy when it comes to recovery from eating disorders/compulsions so I flip the narrative in my head to one of gratitude for what I have. My limbs are operational and quite strong, my skin is bright and of a nice tone, in a bra my boobs look like a bounty that could feed the world! Better to focus on what we DO have instead of focusing on what we don't. Plus I've come to discover that half of what you THINK others have isn't real anyway... We all are showing our best outwardly and hiding our flaws under some garment, makeup technique, hairstyle, etc. We all accentuate the positive.

Today is day 6 of Induction and the scale is back to 212!!!

I am so grateful I stuck to Induction and water intake over the weekend. I'm sure it made all the difference.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Day 8 of Induction is done and dusted and I am down to 211. I did indulge in a nibble of SF chocolate twice... But each time not even a full serving. I gave the remainder of the chocolate bar to my mother to remove the temptation from the house and ensure I make it to day 14 clean as a whistle.

I also have been pushing the workouts. During my walk, I am up to 5 blocks of jogging (in intervals). Keep in mind I live in suburban Florida, so a block isn't exactly what some city folk would picture but still an accomplishment considering I used to be huffing and puffing after waddling for 20 minutes.

I've really been enjoying my food. Tonight I made stuffed mushrooms and NY Strip. I stuffed the mushrooms with a mix of gorgonzola, minced garlic, diced orange bell pepper, diced onion, and a teaspoon of sour cream. I served on a bed of fresh spinach leaves. I must admit, I do like a little something sweet after dinner. Once this Induction is done, I will be adding in a healthy, sweet, SF nightcap back into my way of eating. I have been missing it, hence the two little detours this week.

I plan on going to the thrift store to stock up on some new bottoms for work. My mother mentioned my clothes looked too big on me today and I realize it has been a while since my last rotation of clothes. I am solidly an 18 now but still wearing some 20's and even a few 22's. From my many years of weight fluctuations, I know I will be able to wear a size 18 into the 190's, so if I go pick up a few items, they will last me a few months. Keeping my wardrobe updated has been one of hardest (but most rewarding) aspects of shedding pounds. I'm often between sizes and trying to make use of what I have. This is especially difficult when it comes to having professional clothing for work. I also need a few new pairs of shoes since even those are now too big!... And these are replacement ones I bought when my older ones got too big.

It is happening. Sometimes SLOWLY, but still surely.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Trish, congratulations on the clean eating. You are doing great. I too can gain weight very easily. If I overindulge, I can put on 2-4 lb. overnight. It usually happens either at a buffet restaurant or at someone's house where I don't have control of the food. Luckily this doesn't happen often. As long as I eat cleanly for a few days afterward, it goes right back to the before weight.

I agree what keeps me eating this way is making foods that I like. There are so many choices that I don't miss the junk food or all the carby stuff.

You are doing so well. Good idea on the new to you clothes. I also changed shoe sizes when I lost weight. I was up to an 8 in some shoes and now I wear a 6-7, depending on the style.

Have a great evening.