Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Today Was Hard. My staff and I are getting snippy with each other. I didn't sleep well last night and I felt it all day long.

Breakfast was a three-egg cream: three eggs, cream and sugar free eggnog flavor and it was so yummy! Lasted me until almost 3 - then I had a few bites of baked chicken. Dinner was a hamburger patty and broccoli. For dessert I had a few squirts of sf whipped cream and one "cookie" from my netrition order. It wasn't quite as yummy as I wanted it to be.

That cookie better not cause a gain.

I am so close to the 2-teens. I won't be at 215 by 12/15, but maybe by Christmas. If I think about goals and mini-goals, I can simultaneously talk myself into being able to meet them, and not. I need to remind myself that five more pounds would be delightful, and starting at 21x instead of 22x is the next goal. And all of these are better than numbers starting 27x.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Closer, closer, closer.

The cookie didn't show immediate gain, and I think I shall have another egg nog for breakfast.

I overslept - until 6. Ahhhh, Xanax. I did not have stress dreams last night. It's nice when I don't "work" all night as well as all day.

Of course I'm totally neglecting my family in all of this: I'm staring at our tree, which is up but has no decorations on it. Maybe next weekend after the crush is over with. Maybe.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
You continue to make great progress. Be good to yourself -- you are in the middle of a crazy retail season and it can be brutal dealing with the public. Relax and decorate the tree next weekend when things settle down.

So funny about low carb products -- I was thinking that when you mentioned the cookie. I bought some low carb crackers and Tony told me they tasted like dog biscuits. And these products ain't cheap. Sometimes I think we are better off sticking to nature's low carb foods like lean protein, vegetables, low glycemic fruits, etc.

You are getting closer to goal and will likely lose another good 6-10 pounds by the time Christmas rolls around. Yay!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Another busy day at work, but only 5 hours open and I got almost 4 hours of work done when no one was there. So much to do that I will be back on 12 and 14 hour days this week. But today I only worked 7:30-5:30 and that feels like a vacation.

One thing I love about low carb is that I do appreciate how good food tastes. I don't need a lot of frankenfoods, even though I'm looking forward to a crestless chicken pot pie frozen thing from Atkins. And that cookie was disappointing in the same way I've been disappointed when I've cheated - the carby foods just aren't as good as my memory of them are. It's like a food stylist made my expectations more than they should be.

I also think it's interesting to think about where we all are on this journey. I am probably about halfway to my goal, depending on what I feel like when I get to 170ish. I feel so much better about myself than I did when I started, and yet where I am now is where others begin because they are unhappy about where they are. It's not a race or a competition, it is just a way of life that we all live.

Food: another yummy sugar free egg nog. Oh how much i love these, and I stay satiated all day. Dinner another hamburger steak and a salad with blue cheese. I will probably have some sugar free whipped cream for desert. Maybe make some sugar free jello to go with it.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Another good night of sleep. And woke up to rain which means that I want to go back to sleep. The cat woke me up to let her out, then shockingly decided that she didn't want to go out after all. Coffee just finished brewing. That will make things better.

Just for giggles, I tried on the size 16 jeans I bought. I can get them on and zipped, but they are far too tight. But I think I'm about six or seven pounds away from them fitting. The size 18s I wear now are getting too big. P.S. Old Navy vanity sizing thank you for making me feel better about myself!

Last edited by JMacB; 12-10-2012 at 03:26 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Yay -- great progress once again. Those size 16 jeans will fit before you know it. I am excited to try the Atkins frozen foods too. I usually hate frozen entrees and all kinds of Frankenfoods but I am glad that they finally have real low carb frozen meals for the days and nights when you truly have no time to cook and don't feel like getting take out. I usually skip lunch or have a tiny snack but one of those frozen meals will be good to take to work for the days when I feel hungry. I went to the supermarket and to Target yesterday and did not see them though. Do you know who carries them?

I hope you have a GREAT weekend and continue to make awesome progress.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

I've heard Walmart is the exclusive for the Atkins frozen meals. Not sure when I will have time to check it out.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:17 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Two weeks from today is Christmas, but I will be closed the 24th, 25th and 26th. Only about 10 more days of crazy. I can make it. Yesterday was bad because we have SO much to do, and I never could get in the flow. I didn't go to work until after 7, and I'm going in about 6 today. Come on, coffee! Brew for me, baby! And it is coooooold out - in the 30s and I hate that.

Food yesterday was pretty basic: coffee and an egg (nog) cream for breakfast. Coffee all day (one an hour until about 11, then switched to decaf). Dinner was chicken thighs and salad. A few squirts of sugar free whipped cream for dessert and collapse into bed at 8:30.

If I can lose another few pounds in the next two weeks (is five too optimistic? Can I even get to 215 by Christmas?) I Can wear those size 16s.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

JMac, you can easily lose five pounds by Christmas. That is two and a half pounds per week and if you keep eating low carb like you are currently doing, I think those five will melt away by Christmas Eve. What a great present to give to yourself!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gail, part of my problem is that I have no idea how much time is left until Christmas! I keep making Christmas next weekend and I know that isn't right. Part of the perils of retail and Christmas and all that. I guess today IS only Tuesday still. I went to work at 6:15 and came home at 7:15. And today is the 11th so 14 more days... Wow, that is two weeks. 215 would be my present to myself.

Food today was a sugar free egg nog for breakfast, coffee with cream and water all day, and egg salad for dinner. With no sugar added sweet pickle relish! Yay netrition!

I'm going to see someone Friday who hasn't seen me in a while. I'm looking forward to her reaction to my weight loss. It will be over the top, but I think I need it right now.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Woo hoo!

I can feel bony parts under my squishy parts - collar bones and hip bones and other crazy things like that. My double chin is starting to recede. I can cut my toenails without feeling like I can't breathe. I bought a pair of boots and a pair of flats yesterday because I have cute outfits I can wear. I am contemplating make-up. I bought eye cream but I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing with it.

I am also contemplating food for Christmas day and around. My son's birthday is this Saturday and his party is Sunday and my mom and dad are coming up. I think I'm making the white castle pie from Linda's website for us to eat - I love it and my dad loves it - it will be more carbs than I've been eating, and I always have sodium bloat after, but I think worth it. For Christmas, I want a breakfast casserole and asparagus and something sweet. I love this website because I can find everything AND opinions on how it turns out.

Still sort of giddy about that 221 number, not gonna lie.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

There is a thread over in the main lobby about cheating. Actually, there are several, and new incarnations of them pop up regularly. We see the same opinions posted again and again, those who already all-or-nothing vs those who see an occasional lapse (for a better word) a part of the process.

I have thoughts on this. They are rambling.

I think that, since we all have much access to so much, we are more likely to lapse. It's nearly impossible to go to a restaurant and not be over-carbed. And we eat out a lot, as a society.

But we didn't used to do that. When I was a kid, a restaurant was a Big Damn Deal. We went only a few times a year. Other than that, we ate at home. Dessert was once a week MAYBE and certainly not every night.

And when we dined out, it was not to get things we could make at home. I remember that I always wanted fettuccini Alfredo, since my mom would not make it at home. What a treat! And when my grandfather would take us to the beach, he would order appetizers! Who ever heard of such craziness!

Because of our financial circumstances, we don't eat out as much as we used to. This makes it much easier for me to stay on plan, but it also makes me think about what and how I order from restaurants. They are special occasion places, and what we eat there are out of the norm.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm going old-school in my thinking: how I eat is more like 1960s eating at home and how I think about eating out.

Like I said: thoughts are rambling. More later but my child is crawling all over me.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday we ended up ordering in lunch from a Mediterranean restaurant in the neighborhood. This place makes the best taziki sauce ever. I ordered a gyro plate without rice - so, a salad, gyro meat and sauce. So good, so garlicky, so not really the best thing ever to eat but really really yummy. Since I had that and an egg cream yesterday and not enough water, I'm not surprised I'm up a bit.

Today is our monthly ladies' night at the store and I will work from 6 until about 10. We are ordering a taco bar to feed everyone. Hmmmmm. Not sure what I will end up dong - probably a taco salad. Not the best, not the worst.

In losing-weight-problems-I-am-happy-to-have: my clothes are falling off me, and I don't have time to shop for smaller stuff. I have some smaller jeans but they are still too small. Just because I *can* zip them, doesn't mean I should wear them. Although they may stretch if I wear them long enough. I may try - my current jeans are so baggy after I've had them on just an hour. By the end of the day, when I squat down they fall halfway down my rear end. So not a good look.

Last edited by JMacB; 12-13-2012 at 03:26 AM..
Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with your thoughts about cheating -- you have to be prepared for the occasional lapse and then get right back on the horse again. We are cooking too -- almost every night except once a week. I find it easier to cook low carb foods at home and the meals always turn out better, I think.

I also totally agree with your thoughts on restaurants. They used to be special occasion places and how restaurants and take-out places are everywhere and more affordable and accessible. Restaurant portions are huge and there are often hidden sugars in the food. Unless you go to a steakhouse or a seafood place, low carb can be a real challenge when dining out. I work next door to a fabulous high end steakhouse called Del Friscos so once or twice a month, we treat ourselves to a great steak, salad and fresh asparagus -- really good and yet on plan. I will have to check out the Cheating section in the Lobby -- have not read it yet. Hope you have a great day!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Last night was our monthly Ladies' Night, and just the very safe plate of very safe foods (meat, cheese, quac, no chips, lettuce, cheese dip [iffy] and no alcohol) I am up a pound. I also didn't drink enough water yesterday and I knew it but couldn't stop to get water!

This whole weekend will be some difficult. Tomorrow my son will be 7 and we are of course having special treats - breakfast and dinner Saturday, birthday party Sunday, family dinner Sunday night. I am still so busy at the store (poor kiddo and his terrible birthday time) that I won't see him a ton tomorrow but I will see him!

Bummer yesterday: my two new pair of shoes arrived, and neither fit. Boots are too small in the calf and the flat just are too small. Plus they didn't feel foothold at all. I'm too used to my comfy Alegria shoes, so grown-up shoes just hurt. Sending them back today, looking for larger size. Darn it.

Food yesterday was eggnog cream for breakfast and a plate from taco mama for dinner. I shouldn't have had the cheese dip, but it was off a spoon, not a chip. And so good. I do love a good cheese dip.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

I think that one pound you are up is just water weight. I too love a good cheese dip. On low carb, sometimes you need something really small but very scrumptious to stay on track. Laughing Cow makes these great cinnamon flavored cheeses that are really good. I usually have one Laughing Cow (other flavors too) to chase away any hunger. You are a good mom to plan so many nice festivities for your son. The food won't tempt you -- you are really strong and resolute. I think you will be fine this weekend!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

I reall appreciate your support, Gail. This forum is so great, and I really fel like I've started taking advantage of it since I've been using the journal feature. Reading yours and others keeps me so inspired.

Today we another crazy day at the pottery shop. But I didn't go into work until nine and came home at seven so not a bad day at all. Tomorrow will be scary.

Food today: coffee, a little grilled chicken and lettuce and blue cheese for lunch, and a three-egg salad for dinner. I am ridiculously happy to have no sugar added sweet relish to add. It just tastes real.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck this weekend JMacB! I will be thinking of you! I know it will be a super tough day at the store and then you have your son's birthday festivities all weekend -- but you will stay strong. You are losing weight at a great pace even in the face of enormous stress so just keep thinking of all you have accomplished! Let us know how the weekend goes and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your little one!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

I was down to 221.6 this morning. Forgot to journal because I woke up late just as my son was getting up. Worked my butt off all day, and had a lovely surprise when a friend from out of town came to see me. She used to own a Shop like mine, and I just adore her. She ended up coming over for dinner and hanging out with us. She's expecting a baby in May, so she was all about celebrating the birthday.

So here is the coolest thing about my new woe: I had pork roast leftovers, salad makings, cantaloupe (well, that's not low carb, but because I have a fruit eating son) all in the fridge and was able to put together a nice meal for the two of us. It's what I was going to eat anyway, but it was perfect to share. Pre low carb, I would have had junk only in the house. And it was so yummy and we had such a great time! Rejuvenated my spirits, after we had a pretty rough start to the day - but that was ages ago and I'm not going to dwell on it.

The best part of my day was that my housekeeper came to my store and mopped the whole thing and cleaned the bathrooms. I cannot express how much that made a difference to my mood.

So, besides the pork, today I had coffee, an egg nog egg cream, a little chicken with cheese sauce for lunch... So I expect I will be up tomorrow. I'm ready for it. Tomorrow is the party and a busy day. One more week!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

I'm calling this a victory - I ate a bowl of cantaloupe last night, plus some cheese dip at lunch. Both were excellent and very worth it. Especially since I didn't gain.

I did, however, forget to take my vitamins. I'm not good at that. Onmy last netrition order I got my freebie as the pill sorter, but it won't really work. I need to get a better one. I have a handful of things I take - a daiy multivitamin, fish oil, cinnamon, vitamin e, magnesium - and I'm thinking it's the reason I feel so good despite how crazy my days have been. Especially the magnesium. Still trying to figure out what supplements I should be taking - very overwhelming.

Food today will be egg nog cream for breakfast, and who knows after that. There is birthday cake in my fridge, but thankfully H picked the type I don't like. Easy to resist. Let's see how this party goes!

Last edited by JMacB; 12-16-2012 at 05:27 AM..
Old 12-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

That is a victory! I'm glad you spent time with a friend and enjoyed a low carb meal! It is good for us to get used to low carb as a regular way of living, not a diet. The more you flex the low carb muscle, the easier it gets!

I am glad you don't like the birthday cake type -- that will make today much easier! Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Party went well - store looked good, kids had fun (we did tie-dye), everyone survived and H has quite the haul to enjoy.

I ended up meeting my friend for breakfast, too - went to a local diner and had a two-egg ham and cheddar omelet and that was it. Place is known for the cinnamon rolls, but I passed. Didn't even lick my fingers at the party with the cookie cake and sundae bar, but I did rip the toppings off of two slices of pizza and eat those for dinner. I took a carb blocker pill (unsure how I feel about these but I take them when I don't have the control I'd like) with the pizza.

My dad, who is pretty oblivious, told me he could really tell I'd lost weight. During football season I've lost 20ish, I guess, and it has been since then that it has started to show in my face. My parents also saw us be insanely busy at work and yet me manage it all. Not gonna lie, that felt pretty good, too.

Six more days until christmas for me.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

I woke up this morning feeling like I was bloated (pizza toppings, I'm sure) and stuffy. I do not have time to be sick! Every cup of coffee is going to have coconut oil this morning, that's for sure!

I have such a challenging day ahead, I didn't sleep particularly well. Today will be an egg nog cream day and I'm betting I'll be too busy to do anything else. One week! Heeeeere we go!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Sooooooo close. So very very close.

I was so snuggled up in my electric blanket this morning and wanted to sleeeeeeeep so late. Didn't happen, needless to say. Not flying out the door by 6, either, though. One week from today is Christmas. Five more days of working like a mad woman.

Food yesterday: lots of coffee, egg nog egg cream for breakfast, dinner was a mushroom and three eggs scramble with extra sharp cheddar.

Sunday morning I am going to the grocery store and I can't wait. I am starting to plan my low carb Christmas feasts.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Today I just couldn't make myself focus on work. I'm moving slower, getting less done. We are at the end and I know it and I'm having to make myself care.

Food today was eggnog cream for breakfast, coffee, and for dinner a hamburger patty and broccoli. One ounce or sugar free whipped cream for dessert.

About sweets: I have in the house some sugar free chocolate truffles (Russell Stover). While it is bad for me to eat them, I generally do fine knowing they are in there if I really must have something. I can't fret and stew over it, because they are there. I shouldn't eat them, of course, but if they aren't here then what happens is that I obsess and get in the car and drive to Walmart and buy a bag and eat them all. Instead, I just keep them and don't eat them. I can't explain this, but it used to be the same with cigarettes. So I keep the chocolates.

Today I left work early to go shopping at target. I picked up a bunch of stuff, and then I was in the candy aisle. And then I saw the sugar free stuff. I had been passing by all of the ridiculous chocolates and cookies and other Christmas stuff and those damn green bags were just standing out like Juuuuuuuulia don't you want to buuuuuuuuuy us and then eaaaaaaat us alllllllllll?

Well, yes. And no. Yes you would be delicious and I'd enjoy the first few bites and then keep eating trying to replicate the joy I felt with this first few bites. It won't happen so I'll just keep eating and then I'll "suffer the consequences" because those chocolates aren't really good binge foods, what with the gas and then bloating and the explosive diarrhea as a distinct possibility. So... Let's go with "no".

And I didn't. I walked away. I bought an avocado. Green but not quite so glittery. I want to get one more week without carby wannabes. I want that number to be two-something-teen. I want the new size 16 jeans I bought today to look okay on me (as opposed to how they look on me: they fit, but my muffin top is more like a Bundt cake).

About those jeans: at 275 I was wearing 24s. They were snug. I had some 20s and 18s I've been wearing. The 20s are too big. My mother told me "looks like the Jones family moved out of those britches". They are starting to fall down. At Old Navy today I bought jeans, a few tops and a wrap jacket. I also bought some new workout gear - getting ready for January. OH, and new pajamas, since all my old ones are so big I walk out of them. I bought XL and they fit. Small victory, yet huge. I shopped in a normal store and bought normal clothes and they fit like normal people wear them.

Last edited by JMacB; 12-18-2012 at 07:23 PM..
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Holding steady. Want that .8 to be gone.

I am looking so forward to Christmas so I can sleep late. Four more days of crazy at the shop.

Food today is going to be the same old same old. That works for me.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Hey stick with what works! Congratulations on going down in sizes -- so great that you are a size 18 and then size will just keep going down. Is your name Julia? I love that name so much. Anyhoo, you are kicking butt on low carb and you should be really proud of your success! Just four more days until you can relax!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, my real name is Julia! None of my "usual" usernames were available when I registered, so I just grabbed something close.

I ended up forgetting to eat breakfast at home, and had to grab bacon and eggs at my local diner. The owner is awesome, and I love going there - except that my bacon and eggs to go were $6. I can buy a pound of bacon and a dozen eggs for that. I will remember tomorrow for sure!

Dinner was leftover pork, a little slaw and some broccoli.

I also forgot to take my vitamins this morning. I am so not good at remembering pills! Going to take them now.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Soooooo close. So close.

I slept until 5:30 this morning, which seems positively decadent compared to what it has been like for the past few weeks. And tomorrow I'm not even going to work until we open so i can go to the Holiday program at H's school. Crazy talk!

Food today will be an egg nog cream for breakfast and who knows what for dinner. I have some ground beef, and an avocado ready to eat. We will see.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Today someone brought me a bag of homemade goodies, which I was happy to pass along to my staff, and a two-pound bag of pecans. I did NOT pass those along, and it was all I could do to not eat the whole thing of them. I love pecans so much.

I had a handful, and they were fantastic.

I went to Walmart tonight - no frozen Atkins meals, but I saw where they are supposed to be. I did get some aidell's chicken and apple sausages in cocktail wiener size! 10 of them have 4 grams of carbs and they were delicious!

That, the pecans and my egg nog cream were my food today. And a bite of cheeseburger helper that I tasted for my kiddo. Which, by the way, was gross. Oh, and an avocado - I forgot about that.

I feel like I'll be up tomorrow, with the extra carbs from the pecans.

I'm starting to think of food for Christmas.

I think for breakfast Christmas morning I want to make a sausage, egg and cheese bake. Everyone else can have cinnamon rolls or biscuits, but I will have a flax muffin.

For later, I will have jalape˝o poppers. And maybe cheesecake. Or cheesecake bites. Strawberries and cream. Not sure what else. Those sausages. I need to go look at my subscribed recipe threads and see what looks yummy.

Last edited by JMacB; 12-20-2012 at 05:10 PM..