Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dodge_aries
Stats: 549/455/240
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 19, 2012
Two Lovebirds on Atkins

This is the story of a couple of Lovebirds on Atkins

Hello, I'm Dave. My girlfriend, Jessica, and I, started Atkins on July 19th, 2012. I was at 549 pounds, and she was at 299 pounds.

We weigh in once a week. I should have been more diligent about writing down our progress each week, but if I remember correctly:
Dave Jessica
_ Initial: 549 299
Week 1: 533 292
Week 2: 524 288
Week 3: 533 286
Week 4: 529 286
Week 5: 524 289
Week 6: 517 280

So far we have lost 51 pounds together! That's 6 percent of our combined body weight (and Jessica is beating me percentage-wise)!

What we're eating:
Breakfast - Either bacon or sausage, and sometimes I eat some eggs.
Lunch - Salad mix with dressing and cheese, and often a leftover meat dish.
Dinner - Meat dishes and lower-carb vegetables. LOTS of grilled meats and oven-baked concoctions (Jessica is using me as a guinea pig for a few new low-carb recipes each week.)
Beverages - Diet soda, water (plain or with SF drink packets), the occasional cup of coffee
Snacks - Jessica's homemade beef jerky (Arm roast thin-sliced by Fareway's meat department, seasoned and dried on a food dehydrator.)

Exercise:
We haven't started any formal exercise yet. Where we work we have to do a lot of walking, so that helps a little, and we live up a few flights of stairs. We've been talking about getting a Wii fitness game or dance game, but we haven't really looked yet. (Advice please!)

The Effects:
I have noticed a marked difference in my mood and my general energy level, I'm able to walk better and faster, I've lost about an inch and a half around my waistline and all of my clothes fit better. Jessica says she hasn't noticed as much of a difference in herself yet, but we're just getting started (and she's totally lying, some of her clothes are practically falling off of her!)

This thread will serve as my log for our weigh-ins and a place for me to ask questions about common Atkins problems and solutions. Any advice, encouragement or ( constructive ) criticism is welcome.

(I probably will forget to update this more than once a week or so, so any feedback you give is appreciated and will eventually be read, but don't be offended if I don't respond right away.)

Dave
dodge_aries is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Wow, you guys are doing great! to LCF's and journaling.

MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
you guys should feel totally proud of yourselves!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Great job!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillykimmie
Stats: 223/192/140
WOE: Atkins induction!!!
Start Date: Re restart date 8-14-12
How awesome that you have each other for support!
Keep up the great work!
sillykimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

The new totals:
Dave 497 pounds, Jessica 271 pounds!

So far we have lost 80 pounds together! That's 9.43 percent of our combined body weight! We're about even percentage-wise at this point, with myself nosing ahead by a tiny fraction with this week's weigh-in. (We seem to switch off weeks big-loss-wise.)

The only thing we've changed food-wise is preparing more meats in the oven and adding some casseroles, 'cuz it's getting too cold for the grill. Also, the jerky got old because we had to change the seasoning when we found out about the hidden carbs in worcestershire sauce, so we've switched to nuts, cheese sticks and pork rinds for snacks.

We still haven't started any formal (or in-formal, for that matter) exercise, and we totally need to. Please, anyone with advice about a fun game for the Wii that we can use to get some exercise on a regular basis, we'd love to hear it!

I'm now wearing clothes I haven't fit in in two or three years, and have to go up 3 notches on my belt or my pants fall off. Jessica finally has noticed a REAL difference in how her clothes fit. In fact, she's had to stop wearing a good half of her normal work clothes and soon we plan on digging out some clothes she hasn't worn in years, as well. (SHE LOOKIN' GOOD! )

Thanks for all of your kind words of encouragement. I keep saying I'm going to take some after pictures to post on the site, but I keep forgetting.

See ya next update,

Dave
Old 10-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
GREAT JOB TO YOU BOTH!!!!!!!
TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wishbone
Stats: 260/158/160
WOE: low carb my weigh
Gonna be checkin' this thread all of the time now !!!

GREAT JOB !!!!!
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Ok, so I haven't been back in a long time. We moved, got engaged, and have been very busy with LIFE!

The good news... we didn't stop low-carb-ing. I am happy to announce that I have lost 94 pounds (so close to 100!) and Jess is down 36 pounds, for a total of 130 pounds in about 16 months. That is 15.33% of our combined body weight!

The bad news... that means in a year, Jess has only managed to lose and keep off 8 more pounds, while I have kept losing and fit into clothes I haven't worn since college. She tried switching to weight watchers for about 5 months in the middle there, didn't see any results, then switched back to low-carb about 3 months ago. She has been as low as 255 before she stopped doing low-carb the first time, then has been slowly putting on about a pound a month, roughly, and for the last 3 months back on low-carb has not lost a pound, and in fact has gained one. She bought some ketosis strips, and she is in ketosis. (strangely enough, I tried 3 of them and they don't change color for me AT ALL, though I keep losing.)

We're now asking the low-carb community for help! We've read blogs and watched YouTube videos, and they all say "stick with it" and "drink more water." Continuing to low-carb after a three-month stall is definitely "sticking with it," and if she was drinking any more water she would float instead of walking. I have included a typical day's meal plan for her:

Breakfast: Bacon/sausage with 1-2 tbsp LC ketchup
Lunch: 1-2 cups salad mix with 1/5 cup (about 3 tbsp) LC (full-fat) dressing, 1/4 cup shredded cheese; carb-free or very low carb meat dish (pork, chicken, hamburger, typically) with 1-2 tbsp LC ketchup
Dinner: carb-free or very low carb meat dish (pork, chicken, hamburger, or steak typically) with 1-2 tbsp LC ketchup

That means in a typical day she is having as few as 9 to as many as 20 carbs (3-6 LC ketchup, 3 dressing, 2-4 salad mix, <1 cheese, 0-6 carbs meat dishes) per day and not losing a single pound.

We're spending about $800 a month in groceries to support our low-carb weight loss dreams, and quite frankly, she's losing the faith. Please, low-carb friends, I need your help and advice.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 2012
Has she tried imputing her foods into a tracker to see how many calories she's eating? Is she snacking at all? Drinking calories in coffee/creamy drinks? Try tracking everything and see where her calories/fat/carb/protein levels fall.

Without really knowing enough to comment, I can suggest she tries a clean induction for 2-weeks, maybe Atkins 72 style. Ditch the salty bacon/sausage and instead try 2 deviled eggs. Ditch the ketchup. Have a smaller salad with less cheese. Add a steamed veggie to the dinner if she's hungry. Good luck!
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillykimmie
Stats: 223/192/140
WOE: Atkins induction!!!
Start Date: Re restart date 8-14-12
What kinds of physical activity are you/she doing?
For me exercise is crucial for getting the fat burning and it has an amazing affect on my motivation.
I feel so much better! It's a win, win.
Good luck, stay strong. It's so worth it!!
sillykimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmallerME View Post
Has she tried imputing her foods into a tracker to see how many calories she's eating? Is she snacking at all? Drinking calories in coffee/creamy drinks? Try tracking everything and see where her calories/fat/carb/protein levels fall.

Without really knowing enough to comment, I can suggest she tries a clean induction for 2-weeks, maybe Atkins 72 style. Ditch the salty bacon/sausage and instead try 2 deviled eggs. Ditch the ketchup. Have a smaller salad with less cheese. Add a steamed veggie to the dinner if she's hungry. Good luck!
We haven't tried a tracker, as I was under the impression that LC was less than 20 carbs and all the other stats don't matter. Is this incorrect? I thought the calorie in/calorie out thing was a fallacy?

Also, she does have coffee most mornings, sometimes with a spot of cream, so we can add 1-2 carbs there. If she does snack, it's a handful of almonds for 1-2 carbs or SF candy/chocolates for zero net carbs.

She doesn't like eggs, which has made finding breakfast choices exceptionally difficult for her. I just eat a single Atkins bar every day (3 carbs). I thought bacon and sausage were perfect zero-carb foods, and that the Atkins book recommends a green leafy salad every day to get the majority of your carbs in a day? I appreciate the advice, I just need a little help understanding why she would want to change these things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillykimmie
What kinds of physical activity are you/she doing?
For me exercise is crucial for getting the fat burning and it has an amazing affect on my motivation.
I feel so much better! It's a win, win.
Good luck, stay strong. It's so worth it!!
Physical activity is decidedly lacking still. Part of the reason I have lost so much is that we moved to a 3-story house with only one bathroom on the top floor, so I'm doing about 20 flights of stairs daily. In about 50 more pounds I want to put my computer in the basement so I have to climb two flights of stairs to use it on my days off, haha. We set her treadmill up in the basement, but we all know how that goes, it's gotten used once because she doesn't really like it. I might have to help her get motivated to start really exercising, do it together, that kind of thing. We were walking together, but she says that walking doesn't feel like exercise to her because she doesn't get tired and sore afterward like I do.

THIS IS ALL GREAT ADVICE, YOU PEOPLE ARE GREAT! Please, keep it coming, we need help understanding why and what needs changing!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
She should also ditch the SF candy as that stalls a lot of people. Good luck! You guys are doing GREAT though. I know it is hard but look at the progress you have made! Wow!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 2012
See, all of those little things that are not included in her sample menu are likely the issues. Candy, nuts, cream, etc. all tend to stall people. You're right, studies are showing that the calories in/out theory isn't true and you're right - the main focus on Atkins is carbs. BUT, Dr. Atkins does say that while we don't have to count calories, they do count. That people who eat 1500 calories will lose better than people who eat 2500 calories. They all matter. And studies also show that we gain a caloric advantage when we eat low carb. But that advantage is only 200-400 calories. So if your wife would normally lose on 1200 calories of low fat foods, she may be able to lose with 1500 on low carb. Awesome, right? But definitely not a free for all.

Try a free website and have her track her calories. Some people need to watch them closely. Tell her not to change a thing, but to see where she's at. She may be surprised. But even if she doesn't do that, suggest she drop the products. They can stall people. Sausage and bacon are good, but they are salty. It's just lots of little things can make a difference when you are frustrated.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote