Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Okay, yesterday was the first day I intentionally didn't enter everything into my tracker! I think I did pretty well. I skipped lunch without entirely meaning to when my hair appointment got changed and then lasted longer than expected (my hairdresser is 3 weeks from delivering her baby and I give her a lot of leeway because she's just so awesome). So instead of my normal fatty lunch, I had mascarpone cheese sweetened with cocoa as a treat after dinner. I also had a cocktail before dinner. When I eyeballed my salmon for dinner and then weighed I was actually under what I wanted it to be. Hopefully my eyeballs will stay under in the coming weeks as I'd rather be a bit under than over. I am still thinking about bringing my food scale on vacation. We have an extra one because my DH aggressively cleaned the old one and it stopped working for a while. After we bought the new one I tried testing the old one and it was working again, so I saved it as a backup. We'll see.

This morning I'm back down 1.4 pounds to 149.4, my ketones were 2.0, and my BG was 81. My weight has really been all over the place this past week, but not going over my goal enough to worry. I also measured and I'm down 1/4 inch in my thighs. This is a giant win for me as my thighs are the last place I ever lose.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

I've been running around getting everything I need for the trip. It's going to be a busy week at work so I won't have much time to get packed and prepared over the next four days. I stopped by GNC to get some Quest bars as a back-up for traveling. I am packing cheese, pistachios, and Quest bars. The flight is 6 hours so I shouldn't need that much, but I like to be prepared for delays and/or diversions. It's happened to me before and I wished that I was more prepared. Also, it's a nice treat to have something like a Quest bar when everyone around me is eating carby airplane food.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #93
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Just recently tried the Quest bars. They are very good. I feel good about giving them to my kids and husband who is a cancer survivor. They have no funky tastes like others do and such healthful ingredients...except the sugar alcohols I guess. Do you use the regular variety or the natural variety?
You are so smart to prepare yourself for your trip since you'll be out of your everyday environment.
So you are leaving in a weeK Kristn?
zay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
Just recently tried the Quest bars. They are very good. I feel good about giving them to my kids and husband who is a cancer survivor. They have no funky tastes like others do and such healthful ingredients...except the sugar alcohols I guess. Do you use the regular variety or the natural variety?
You are so smart to prepare yourself for your trip since you'll be out of your everyday environment.
So you are leaving in a weeK Kristn?
I got a few of each flavor that they had. Both the regular and natural seem okay to me.

We leave early Friday morning, so just 5 days from now. I wish it wasn't so busy at work this week, but the time should fly by.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't checked in here for a while. It's been a month and a half and things are going swimmingly so far in maintenance. I'm on vacation for the next 10 days which is probably the biggest challenge I've faced so far in maintenance. We will be cooking most of our own food, so that should make it slightly easier.

This is my last morning of testing and weighing for 10 days. It will be interesting to see what the numbers are when I get back. I plan to stick to plan but still enjoy a few Island treats (small amounts of fruit, but not too much). This morning I was 148.4 (down a bit) and ketones were 3.5 (highest I've seen in a long time).

I have 30 days of ketone strips tucked away for when I get back. I hope that I stay in ketosis on vacation, but I'm not counting on it!

I do plan on checking in while I'm away. I can't seem to stay away from this place, and it keeps me honest.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #96
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kristn, have a wonderful time with your husband and your healthy, fit, and at goal body.
See you when you pop in during your trip or when you return! 10 days is a lengthy vacation! Come back rested. Its nice that you also get to be in control of your meals and in a relaxed atmosphere instead of at restaurants and on the go all the time. This is my kind of vacation too. Enjoy.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #97
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Have a great time!
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

I'm back from an incredible vacation!! Happy to report that I'm still a bit under goal at 149 and ketones were .5 this morning. NK seems to really be working for me. My vacation eating plan was a fatty breakfast (2 eggs, lots of cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa, and avocado). Lunch was cream cheese or a Quest bar and some macadamia nuts. Dinner was protein and veggies. Pretty normal eating for me, but the quantities were higher than usual (I tried to limit the protein at dinner by eyeballing). I don't usually eat Quest bars, but I had them for eating on the go and for the plane trip. I don't think I'll have them around normally as the sweet taste is definitely a trigger for me.

I know that my total intake (calories) was higher than usual, but I still managed to maintain. I'm going to think about this going forward and may experiment with higher calorie (which means upping fat) levels for my ongoing maintenance.

I promised Zay a vacation picture at goal:

I'm not sure if I'm going to try and get to a lower weight now that vacation is over with. I was pretty happy at this weight and wore 2 piece bathing suits the entire time. It's a bit easier in Hawaii as people of all sizes and shapes wear them, but this is the first time that I've felt comfortable in one, but still no pics in a 2 piece.

I will say that it's a rough re-entry but DH and I have today off to slowly get back in the swing of things. We don't have kettelbell class until Saturday and that may be the hardest adjustment of all.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #99
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow Kristn, you look amazing! I agree on upping calories slightly and maintaining at this weight, you really look good. Then, after months of this, if you then want or think you need? to go lower, then maybe. Been reading lately that higher calories really protect LBM.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #100
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kristn! So glad you had a nice time! ... And you look absolutely beautiful and healthy. You are an inspiration. Thanks so much for remembering to post a pic!

Suggestion: use that pic as your avatar You look fantastic!

Last edited by zay; 10-16-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Wow Kristn, you look amazing! I agree on upping calories slightly and maintaining at this weight, you really look good. Then, after months of this, if you then want or think you need? to go lower, then maybe. Been reading lately that higher calories really protect LBM.
Thanks Buffy! There are a few things that I'd love to change, but that may be more about changing body composition or even a bit of cosmetic surgery rather than losing more. I'm wary of going too high with calories, but I don't want to go too low either--getting the right amount is so tricky. It seems like a lot of the people I read promoting higher calories are young and/or male. The paleo community went higher carbs and calories on me and as a peri-menopausal woman who maintains on LC that just didn't work very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
Kristn! So glad you had a nice time! ... And you look absolutely beautiful and healthy. You are an inspiration. Thanks so much for remembering to post a pic!

Suggestion: use that pic as your avatar You look fantastic!
Thanks Zay! I changed my avitar. I am so happy that NK has worked so well for me. I think that 11 years of no sugar hasn't hurt either.

This was probably one of my best vacations ever. Two LC discoveries were that some of the shave ice stands have sugar-free syrup options and the Hamakua brand of wasabi macadamia nuts.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Kristn you look absolutely fabulous in your beach picture!!!! Sounds like you had a great time and huge congratulations on sticking with your WOE and maintaining!!!! You are such an inspiration.

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Kristn you look absolutely fabulous in your beach picture!!!! Sounds like you had a great time and huge congratulations on sticking with your WOE and maintaining!!!! You are such an inspiration.

DG
Thanks DG! How are you doing? Have you found a WOE that's working for you?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Quote:
Yes Denise, please tell us more about your WOE and your story, would love to hear it.
Hi ladies sorry been awol! My highest weight was 250 when I was 21. Obese most of my adult life (binge eater - sugar addict) I started atkins in April 2006 - at one point stalled at 160 for 6 months, but my attitude wasn't "diet" it was lifestyle change. When I started cycling carbs it broke my stall. Had a tummy tuck in August of 2008 at 142 pounds. I lost 10 pounds in a month I was so compressed. I was able to maintain the 130's for a while, but it was really too small for my frame. I gained a bunch of weight in the fall of 2009, extreme work stress and fear of job loss. Then got back on the low carb bandwagon again. I'll post a pic of me before in 2006 (219) and an after at 138 pounds in 2010.
Losing weight was easy compared to maintenance for me. I was always a snacker and when stressed would let it get out of control. I just consider myself in maintenance this fall. I've lost about 10 or more pounds since July. I weigh 144 now and want to keep it around 145. I'm 55 now and my brother told me this week I was looking drawn and old. Thanks Bro! LOL
I'm IF'ing now in a 6 hour window. I eat out with my bf one day on the weekend and have cocktails and whatever I want for one meal. I'm applying behavior modification techniques to my life and weight also. Need to keep this up, because life will always be stressful. Need to permanently change the way I react to it. I'll take another after pic when I've maintained for 6 months and my hair grows out again. LOL

P4: May 16, 2014 Maintenance

Last edited by Izzysdream; 10-18-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Thanks DG! How are you doing? Have you found a WOE that's working for you?
Still floppin' around like a half dead fish. But I'm still here - not hiding in my closet with a bag of oreos. So that's a start!

Izzy - I'm going to post on your thread in case you don't see this comment here but wow what an inspiring story! I'm interested in whatever behavior modification system/program you might be working from. (if it's something official)

TGIF!!

DG
Old 10-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Izzysdream--Thank you for your story--what an inspiration!! I think you look amazing in your pictures. Maintenance is so tricky to really get a handle on, isn't it? I can't wait to see your new pics!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Still floppin' around like a half dead fish. But I'm still here - not hiding in my closet with a bag of oreos. So that's a start!
Not hiding is really the key to success! The other stuff will fall into place.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow Izzy, thanks so much for sharing!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Updating my journal with a cross-post from another thread:

Quote:
Yesterday I tested blood ketones 4 times during the day to try and see what was going on:
6am: .3
9:30am (after kettlebell class): .4
1:00pm (before lunch): 1.0
5:30pm (before dinner): 1.5

So I'm definitely getting some ketones going during the day. I think getting back to kettlebells will definitely help. I had 4 ounces of mascarpone cheese for lunch and then dinner at our neighbors which was filet with celeriac puree and brussels sprouts. I probably had more veggies than I normally would, but kept the filet to probably 4-5 ounces. I did have several vodka/soda cocktails, but didn't drink too much. All-in-all I felt pretty good about the whole day's eating.

This morning my ketones were .6. I hope that this is a sign that they're creeping back up! My weight was down 1 pound to 148.4 which surprised me as I'm sore all over from the kettlebell class and expected a gain from that. But I'll take it anyway.

The mac nuts are out of my eating plan for now. While I'm sorry to see them go, I think I need to get a better handle on the portions of these and taking a total break for a while seems to work best for me.
I really want to be in strong ketosis!! My goal is 1.0 to 1.5 for the am reading. I think I need to eat more fat at breakfast and knock off the mac nuts and cream cheese treats in the pm. I added more sour cream to my normal breakfast this am and have been eating mascarpone cheese for lunch rather than cream cheese (higher in fat, lower in protein).

I am happy to be maintaining though and I don't want to take it for granted! I am coming up on 2 months of maintenance which makes me extremely excited. I didn't think I would make it this far especially with a vacation tucked in there. My next challenge is the upcoming holidays! I've always managed to stay LC during this time, but NK is a whole 'nuther ball game. I always relied on high protein to see me through.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #110
Big Yapper!!!!

The holidays are always sooooo hard for anyone trying to follow a certain WOE. So, my thoughts on it are that a person should probably not even worry about weight loss, if they are still in the losing phaze, but just do whatever they need to do to be able to maintain. Be it higher protein, etc. So, you go to the party which has the buffet laden with carbs but also a meat and cheese platter. Pig out on the meat and cheese platter if needed, heck, grab the whole platter and hide in a corner with it, don't share, whatever you do, none of those carbs are going to be really great enough to mess up your ketosis. Right?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The holidays are always sooooo hard for anyone trying to follow a certain WOE. So, my thoughts on it are that a person should probably not even worry about weight loss, if they are still in the losing phaze, but just do whatever they need to do to be able to maintain. Be it higher protein, etc. So, you go to the party which has the buffet laden with carbs but also a meat and cheese platter. Pig out on the meat and cheese platter if needed, heck, grab the whole platter and hide in a corner with it, don't share, whatever you do, none of those carbs are going to be really great enough to mess up your ketosis. Right?
Yes, I've been saved in the past by the meat and cheese platter. I do worry because I think that high protein is what currently knocked me out of ketosis. But I guess if a known party is coming up just eating fat the rest of the day may be enough to offset the extra protein.

It is easier when not trying to lose, but I don't want to throw caution to the wind just because I'm in maintenance. So many things to think about! I'm so glad I have my LCF buddies to sort this all out with.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Kristn - I love the control you seem to have over your WOE. That is what I lose when I let carbs get an upper hand with me. I am no longer fully in control of my eating decisions. I think you will make a good plan and get through the holidays just fine! That's my bet anyway!

Quote:
Pig out on the meat and cheese platter if needed, heck, grab the whole platter and hide in a corner with it, don't share, whatever you do, none of those carbs are going to be really great enough to mess up your ketosis. Right?
I had a vision of 2 LC ladies having a cat fight over the cheese tray! Merry Christmas indeed!

DG
Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #113
Big Yapper!!!!

The absolute worst thing a person can do during the holidays is throw caution to the wind. I'll bet that 75% of people who gain back their weight lose control over a holiday, etc.

Yes, DG, better not have 2 or more of us at the same holiday party, right!!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I had a vision of 2 LC ladies having a cat fight over the cheese tray! Merry Christmas indeed!

DG
Quote:
The picture of this cracks me up! Step away from the cheese tray...
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The absolute worst thing a person can do during the holidays is throw caution to the wind. I'll bet that 75% of people who gain back their weight lose control over a holiday, etc.

Hi ladies! I plan to take low carb dessert with me to family holiday meals. I'll take low carb green bean casserole to Thanksgiving (not cooking this year yay)
Otherwise, I'm not that social during the holidays thank god! Right now I can handle one carb up day a week, just take it as close to zero carbs the next day with fewer calories...
Old 10-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Two months maintenance!

Today is my two month anniversary of hitting goal. I'm sitting happily at 150.2 this morning. NK maintenance is going great!

We just decided this week that we're joining our great friends for their Thanksgiving celebration. I'll bring a LC side and dessert.

Not much else to report. My am ketones have tested over .5 for 7 days and I'm going to give it another week and then test less frequently.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to measure for the first time since I returned from vacation. I don't expect much change, but I am still trying to increase my LBM. It's an excruciatingly slow process without much feedback. I'm planning to get another BF test in the spring to see how much progress I've made. It would be great to be able to do this test more frequently but the hassle and the cost are just too great.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

Great job Kristn, you knew I would be in to chime in, right?

I would love to have access to all the tests we would like to have done, on a regular and very inexpensive basis, that would be great!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Great job Kristn, you knew I would be in to chime in, right?

I would love to have access to all the tests we would like to have done, on a regular and very inexpensive basis, that would be great!
It's nice to know that you're here Buffy!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Anniversary, you are doing great!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

As of this morning I am 149 pounds, still in ketosis and forging ahead in maintenance. I've been thinking that one of the things that's hard about maintenance is that you stop getting all of the positive feedback you get when you're losing. And people assume that you can just eat anything, that you're no longer on a "diet." Thankfully I have a wonderfully supportive DH who gives me lots of kudos for sticking to this. But the outside world, not so much.

And here, on my maintenance thread, I just don't have that much to report.

I did sign up to get "dunked" again on December 1st. I really hope to see some improvement in body composition from my last one.