Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
buttah's HCG journal.

Begins with this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/hc...l#post15911651

Then moves here!

I know I will need lots of support, and I thank you in advance. Be back later to post a bit of my backstory.

But for now...

Loading Day two. I went to bed so full (had a protein style In n' Out cheeseburger and a few fries for dinner, without being really hungry - I HATE THAT - but I had "load properly" in my head). Total calories for yesterday was about 2000. More than I've had in eons.

Today I had half a peanut butter banana chocolate chip donut for breakfast. One of my favorite things ever, but something I only eat about once a year. I guess I'm not low-carb loading anymore. But I will for the rest of the day.

I was 169 yesterday; today I'm 171. Not too bad, as I've heard some gain more. I really hope I don't gain today. Going to try to up the fat and not gain.

Tomorrow is VLCD1!

Now for the questions:

Is it possible the HCG is already working in my system? I am just not hungry at all, and I'm also kind of sleepy (which I remember from the early days of pregnancy). Or is it just the huge calories and bad food I've had?

Last edited by buttah; 08-31-2012 at 10:49 AM..
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Hey! Just here to say welcome. Hcg is a life-changing miracle, in my experience. Best luck to you!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Shoot. I was starving. And working. I ordered a chicken tostada with guacamole delivered for lunch, thinking it would have all kinds of cheese and chicken in that fatty sauce.

Well, there were maybe three shreds of chicken. The rest was delicious veggies and black beans coming out of my ears. All low in fat. I probably just ate a million calories of carbs, which is fairly useless to loading. And I"m stuffed.

So mad for "wasting" my loading. And I'll probably see a gain without having benefitted. Although I did eat the little bit of guacamole.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/172/125
WOE: HCG INJECTIONS
Start Date: RESTART 9-3-13
Try not to worry too much, you will do fine. Lot's of people eat tons of carbs for loading and have very successful rounds.
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I have done it both low carb and the "everything that's not nailed down" method. I honestly didn't notice any difference in my success or my hunger.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, you guys. This is exactly why I needed a journal. OCD + neurotic + scared to death of gaining after all the months it's taken me to lose.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, are you ready for TMI overload?

Well first, I just had the most extraordinary bathroom visit. I guess I needed some fat, as in yesterday. Or those beans, as in my lunch today.

At which point I discovered... TOM has begun! On day two of loading! In a way, this makes me happy. It might explain some of what I thought was loading weight gain (from 169something to 171something)? Maybe it's TOM gain, at least in part? Maybe I'll have a not-so-bad VLCD1 start weight, or a fantastic VLCD2 weigh in? I usually drop a couple lbs a day or two after TOM starts.

Anything else I should be aware of?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Bet you're going to have an AMAZING weigh-in in a day or two!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I so hope you are right, Jessica!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Jessica, I have started reading your journal, and it's giving me so much enthusiasm! I feel our stories are very similar in many ways, and we are the same age. Can't wait to catch up with where you are now. And thank you so much for all the great recipes.

Today is VLCD1. I always weigh my lowest after coffee and the bathroom fairy), so I will have my "beginning weight" in a few minutes. But I feel as though TOM is literally sitting on my abdomen, and he's very heavy. Can't wait until he goes and bothers someone else, albeit not in this house (two 6'+ male sons, male dog, male cat and 6'4" male husband - all who think HUGE portions are normal, and I have to live with them.)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, VCLD1 weigh-in is 172.8. This means I gained 3.3 lbs from loading, as I was 169.5 the morning of loading day one. (I must note that i was down to 167.something on a previous JUDDD DD - my lowest since I became pregnant with my younger son 16 years ago - but it never stuck, so I'm going with 169.5 as my HCG pre-load starting weight.)

Now for Grape-gate. There is often a small bowl of green grapes on our kitchen island. So this morning, while I'm making my coffee, half asleep, what do I do? I pop a couple in mouth!!!! Quickly realizing what I'd done, I immediately spit them into the sink! But I think a grape calorie or two MAY have escaped down my throat. Oh well. I'll spit out a bite of apple or grapefruit when I have that, and call it even.

But wow. I have been reading obsessively and thinking obsessively about this first 500 calorie protocol day for over a MONTH, and yet I somehow FORGOT for a few seconds this morning! Just proves how much not-thinking eating we do. I hope I don't do it again.

Gum would sure come in handy. Wish there was some protocol-approved gum. But having read Robin Woodall's Weight Loss Apocalypse and DETERMINED to utilize those principles in my protocol and maintenance, I want to avoid artificial sweeteners as much a possible, because they stimulate Leptin.

I'm waiting on my fruit, because just eating an apple has always made me hungrier. Does just eating grapefruit do the same? Today is not a day I want to find out.

I am SO GRATEFUL for verbqueen's journal, and all the great recipes in it. I'm going to start with those. But I'm confused about how to count tomatoes or tomato sauce. P & I says it's a vegetable, which we know it isn't. But if you count it as a fruit, do you skip the fruit for that meal?

My work day will be interesting. I am a professional writer and at the end of a very important deadline. I have to crank today, and I know from my JUDDD experience that there is no cranking to be found when I have hunger pangs. I sure hope I don't!

Last edited by buttah; 09-01-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, it's 10:15am, and I am definitely physically hungry. Not mind hungry, stomach hungry. Guess I'm not one of the lucky ones who has no hunger on VLCD1. And I definitely loaded. Perhaps the fruit would have helped, as I've had nothing but coffee and water thus far (and I usually have half/half in my coffee, which frequently allows me to skip breakfast).

But no such lack of hunger today.

Still going to save my fruit for lunch. I think. BTW, how much should my apple weigh, approximately? Can't find that anywhere, which is strange with such a specific protocol.

Last edited by buttah; 09-01-2012 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: why do I always have to edit?!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

If I diet in a forest and nobody hears, will I still lose? {echo, echo, echo}
Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey! Sorry--I get up late on Saturdays, and it's earlier out here on the left coast!

I am excited for you. Just keep your eyes on the prize , imagine losing ten pounds in ONE WEEK (I did, and I was 54 years old and menopausal!) and ignore that hunger, girl!

On apples--I always bought the biggest danged apples I could find.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

P.S. If I'm going to be painfully honest, I'm not really sure if it's not so much that you don't have hunger as that hunger becomes your new norm. Also, I adjusted my dosing somewhat after I got some experience under my belt. I only dose twice a day, morning and nighttime. Same number of pellets, I just divide them into two doses.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: manders
Stats: 232/191.1/140/5'8
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
I have done it both low carb and the "everything that's not nailed down" method. I honestly didn't notice any difference in my success or my hunger.
That seriously made me laugh so much. I remember when I had a really bad bout of PMS a few months ago where I couldn't stop eating, and my boyfriend asked if he should send someone to nail the coffee table down.

Now, at the time it made me want to kill him (as well as everyone else on earth), but now I find it very funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttah View Post
If I diet in a forest and nobody hears, will I still lose? {echo, echo, echo}
LOL! I echo what verbqueen said about hunger. Although I do notice that when I'm on perfect plan doing HCG, I only get hungry as I'm about to eat my meal.
manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Jessica, I too am on the west coast. In the LA area, to be not very exact. But I wake up really early since I began JUDDDing!

I agree that somewhat hungry (or at least more of an empty feeling in my stomach) has become my new norm, but I've been working hard at learning the difference between real gnawing stomach hunger and "I could eat" hunger (also known as "Jewish husband hunger.")

I am also aware that coming to HCG straight from JUDDDing and having already lost 20-something lbs since Feb, my early losses might not be so dramatic. But boy am I hoping.

And now to make your Waldorf salad for lunch, then get back to work! Oh dear. ETA: I just noticed the chicken salad needs to chill. No time for that. And I have to cook that chicken. Off to find another recipe.

Last edited by buttah; 09-01-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyb
Stats: 272/235/130
WOE: rx HCG injections - R2P3
Start Date: June 14, 2012
I just clicked on your journal from the "freedom" thread. I've been following Robin's work since the middle of my last round. I did it all the way through P3 and P4 and stabilized like a rock, eating all the foods I loved.

I will tell you that I was really hungry for the first 4 or 5 days of my last round. It was a little better this time, though. But the hunger did go away. I'm using RX injections.

I saw one of the questions you had in your first thread about immunity. I will tell you that I started showing signs of immunity after 26 injections. That's when my doc pulled the plug on me because I was starting to lose lean mass instead of fat. It was a bummer.

This time we are trying skipping injections once a week, so we'll see how it works for me. I really wanted to do 40 days rounds since I have well over 100 pounds to lose. They do not have me stop injections during my period, which just started on day 10 of injections. Seems to be slowing my weight loss, but it doesn't seem as bad as last round. We'll see. . .

If you are hungry after the first week I would talk to someone about adjusting your dose. You really shouldn't be hungry.

I will be following your progress! Hope it goes well for you!!

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!"
christyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I have to respectfully disagree with everyone about being hungry. That shouldn't be anyone's norm. It's not sustainable and, IMO, is setting yourself up. And if you read WLA, you shouldn't be hungry or full. You should be comfortable. I really believe that overriding the hunger system in our body is why we have so may problems (I have ignored mine for years!).

What did you decide on for lunch? I'm kind of a beef girl (I wonder if it's because I'm iron deficient?). I think I'm going to have my P2 meatloaf and some cabbage. It's 3pm and I haven't eaten anything yet. I slept late and haven't been hungry yet.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyb View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with everyone about being hungry. That shouldn't be anyone's norm. It's not sustainable and, IMO, is setting yourself up. And if you read WLA, you shouldn't be hungry or full. You should be comfortable. I really believe that overriding the hunger system in our body is why we have so may problems (I have ignored mine for years!).

But you read what I wrote: that's exactly what I said! People are talking about eating until they're full, as if that is what Robin suggests. She does not. She specifically talks about eating "to remove hunger," which is a slight, but very important distinction.

So I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with?

I am doing injections.

I made the waldorf salad anyway, and it is yummy. I now will stop typing in order to enjoy it!

Christy, thanks so much for joining me, btw! And if the hunger continues, I will ask them adjust my dose. The clinic starts with 150iu for everyone, so we'll see. (I now believe I know what you were disagreeing with - that hunger is "normal" on HCG?)

What day are you on?

Why do I always have an edit? I guess it's the writer in me!

Last edited by buttah; 09-01-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttah View Post
But you read what I wrote: that's exactly what I said! People are talking about eating until they're full, as if that is what Robin suggests. She does not. She specifically talks about eating "to remove hunger," which is a slight, but very important distinction.

So I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with?

I am doing injections.

I made the waldorf salad anyway, and it is yummy. I now will stop typing in order to enjoy it!

Christy, thanks so much for joining me, btw! And if the hunger continues, I will ask them adjust my dose. The clinic starts with 150iu for everyone, so we'll see. (I now believe I know what you were disagreeing with - that hunger is "normal" on HCG?)

What day are you on?

Why do I always have an edit? I guess it's the writer in me!
It wasn't you I was disagreeing with! A couple of people had posted saying that they were always hungry and it was normal. I was just disagreeing with that. Hoping to not sound rude by disagreeing! I think you and I are very much on the same page as far as using the hunger scale etc.

I'm on VLCD 8. I guess it's day 11 overall. My doc has me load for 3 days.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

I was about to point out that the chicken salad would be delicious warm! But I see you figured that out!

Buttah (my SoCal neighbor), thanks to you for inspiring me to reread the first few weeks of my journal! I now feel like I have recaptured the joy and excitement of this journey, and I thank you for it. It's been life-changing for me because it put an end to a miserable, discouraging multi-year stall. I believe it should work quite well for you regardless of recent dieting!

Regarding the hunger discussion, perhaps we are being sidetracked by terminology? One person's *hunger* may well be another person's "for once in my life, I'm not so stuffed I can barely walk." Let me rephrase it this way--in my experience, you will develop a new norm. It will not be aching misery, but it may not be your customary feeling of fullness.

How's that?

My (old) HCG Journal

My NEW Journal
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I was about to point out that the chicken salad would be delicious warm! But I see you figured that out!

Buttah (my SoCal neighbor), thanks to you for inspiring me to reread the first few weeks of my journal! I now feel like I have recaptured the joy and excitement of this journey, and I thank you for it. It's been life-changing for me because it put an end to a miserable, discouraging multi-year stall. I believe it should work quite well for you regardless of recent dieting!

Regarding the hunger discussion, perhaps we are being sidetracked by terminology? One person's *hunger* may well be another person's "for once in my life, I'm not so stuffed I can barely walk." Let me rephrase it this way--in my experience, you will develop a new norm. It will not be aching misery, but it may not be your customary feeling of fullness.

How's that?
That is what I thought you meant, anyway. Although thanks to JUDDD (and very successfully using the hunger scale years ago - more on that when I type my life story), I have a very firm grasp of what true hunger feels like.

When I say I was hungry this morning, trust me, I WAS hungry. But I just re-read P&I for the millionth time, and apparently this is normal after only the third injection. By tomorrow I should be feeling merely "empty" without the gnawing, assuming I loaded well enough. Although, there as well, he says non-loaders don't usually run into difficulty until a bit later.

Either way, I'm not worried.

And the salad was delicious warm!!!

Meanwhile, don't tell me how your journal ends!! I'm going to read it, bit by bit. Just like I'm there with you.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyb View Post
It wasn't you I was disagreeing with! A couple of people had posted saying that they were always hungry and it was normal. I was just disagreeing with that. Hoping to not sound rude by disagreeing! I think you and I are very much on the same page as far as using the hunger scale etc.

I'm on VLCD 8. I guess it's day 11 overall. My doc has me load for 3 days.

I too am doing this via a doc/clinic. I know I could've saved a lot of money otherwise, but with my OCD/neurotic personality I wanted to do it with "supervision." I was also paranoid about ordering RX injections from overseas, not to mention terrified of being responsible for mixing them. I love the injections. So simple.

And you are not rude at all! I'm so glad you're here.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

How's that?
I totally AGREE!! LOL! I hope I wasn't rude! I think for years what I considered "hunger" was actually just when the fullness went away.

I can vividly remember late nights of eating until I was totally sick to my stomach and being so mad at myself. Yet, the minute the sick feeling went away I would start eating again. My idea of hungry was not being full! No wonder I got so fat!!

I think the HCG protocol is so amazing for reevaluating hunger and relearning what it actually feels like. What I perceive as comfortable now I may have thought of as hunger not too long ago. I pray I never go back there!

I just didn't want anyone to feel like they were destined to a life of hunger.

BTW, Jessica, I have been reading your journal and am loving it! Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us!!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Emergency recipe question.

I want to try a version of the chili, only with chunks of lean steak.

But I don't have that Hunt's Fire Roasted tomatoes. I have some canned Trader Joe's tomato sauce with no sugar. Will that work? And if so, how much do I use? Or should I just chop up some tomatoes?

I hardly ever eat beef, but I'm definitely hungry today, so I figure it will help me more than chicken or fish.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, emergency averted.

I made the cabbage/steak thingie (with steak instead of ground beef). I decided I needed to save a fruit for later, because of this little hunger problem, and I guess the tomato would've had to count as a fruit because I probably would've added onion to the chili, and I think onion is a protocol vegetable right? Or is it even on the list? I was too hungry to look it up. This will all become second nature, right?

I have not had any breadsticks or melba. I don't even have the breadsticks in the house yet (Hubby, who does the shopping, couldn't find them, which of course does not necessarily mean they weren't right in front of him, but he shops, so I can't complain), and the melba just looks like a pretend food that will inevitably, once eaten, only make me sad

I must check into Wasa crackers and Akmak? Or something like that - Amtrack? No, that's a train. Maybe they are higher on the shelf and 6'4" husband won't be able to miss them.

I had been planning on ignoring those non-nutritious protocol carbs, but now I'm thinking that perhaps later, some crumbled melba might help me make some sort of warm apple mush appealing. I really should have done some menu planning.

Which reminds me. In the brief bio that I'm going to type one of these days if I have any mental energy left after my real writing... I will tell you that I am only now, at age 55, learning to cook.

I am not exaggerating. Until JUDDD, I was completely lost in the kitchen. Please don't ask me how I survived before then. It's embarrassing and spoiled and you might not like me if I tell you.

And I need you to like me.

I need all of you.

I hope tomorrow is easier.

I hope the HCG just hasn't kicked in yet.

Any apple or strawberry melba ideas greatly appreciated.

Last edited by buttah; 09-01-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Another question. I used Grey Poupon Dijon mustard in the Waldorf salad. Was that not okay? Just realized my list only says "dry mustard."
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: manders
Stats: 232/191.1/140/5'8
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: Feb 2012
What is the carb/sugar and fat content on the label?
manders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

5 calories per tsp. 0 fat, 0 carbs, 0 sugar.