Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
WTG on the workouts DG!

Any thoughts on low serotonin being a cause for binge eating?
Hi Jeanie! Thanks for the workout props!!!!

Low seratonin makes sense to me as a possible factor based on limited reading about it. Have you read any of Kathleen Des Maisons (sp) work? Or tried taking any L-Tryptophan or 5HTP? I often take a little L-Tryp or 5HTP if I feel I need a bit of a mood boost. Who knows if it really helps????

I think it's all very complicated. Moods are affected by so many different things. Neurotransmitters such as seratonin, dopamine, etc. but also BG swings and other hormonal issues. Oy. gives me a headache just thinking about it!!!

IMO - there is NEVER any harm is reasearching and experimenting to figure out what works for YOU. Don't give up Jeanie!

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #242
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I have taken SSRI's in the past and they did stop my binging for months at a time, but the effect wore off. I can't emphasize enough how great it felt to eat normally. It was like I could eat a normal meal and even have a little dessert and be completely satisfied and at peace. I have been reading a book today about 5htp and while it touts the benefits of the 5htp in helping to curb binging/overeating it also emphasizes the need for exercise and good nutrition. I tried 5htp briefly in the past although I don't think I took it correctly or long enough to know if it really worked or not. Tonight I plan to take some to see if it will help me sleep and tomorrow I plan to take 50mg. 20 minutes before meals as the book suggests. I hope it works! Jenny mentioned SSRI's played a role in raising bs too as I recall.

Hope you had a good day everyone!

DG- Is food addiction talked about in any of your studies? How is your new plan working so far?

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-29-2012 at 06:16 PM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jeanie, and also portcop, scalestepper, Christine and anyone else who happens by!

Jeanie we really only touch on eating disorders in my current classes. I think that is mainly because most of the teachers have a strong background in treating addiction to substances such as alcohol and other drugs. I do have one teacher who is very open to discussions about other addictions - food, process addictions, etc. I can't say I've learned anything new about food addiction / eating disorders at school - that really isn't the focus.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your exact protocol with 5HTP. What is the name of the book? Sounds interesting.

-1.6 pounds at WW this morning. Overall it was a good week food wise, and hunger wise. Did I mention I did a "home" oral glucose tolerance test yesterday? I tried that before using food (white potato) but was told on the diabetes forum that probably didn't give me results that would resemble an OGTT in the lab. It was suggested I use juice instead - 75g carbs worth. So I did it with cranberry juice.

Well, more confirmation that I do not have "normal" glucose control. And I absolutely won't be ingesting that much sugar in one sitting any time soon. Boy did that cause a wild blood sugar ride!

Pre-test: 91
30 min: 204 (YIKES)
1 hour: 183 (YIKES)
90 min: 133
2 hour: 85

The people on the diabetes forum said that as a positive, it looks like my second phase insulin response is strong. They also suggested I read up on reactive hypoglycemia. I'm thinking this might help explain some of the binge-hunger-binge-hunger episodes and why that cycle is so hard to break.

Knowledge is power and currently, I think of binging as "self-harm" with a visualization of razor blades to go with it. I just really don't want to go to the "self-harm" place. The idea of a sugarcarby binge really doesn't evoke feelings and thoughts of "secret relief and soothing and getting away with something naughty" like it used to feel. That's good, I guess LOL!

On track food wise today. Need to write another paper so I better get crackin'! Have a good day.

DG
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Does any one no how to make mayo
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
-1.6 pounds at WW this morning. Overall it was a good week food wise, and hunger wise.

Knowledge is power and currently, I think of binging as "self-harm" with a visualization of razor blades to go with it. I just really don't want to go to the "self-harm" place. The idea of a sugarcarby binge really doesn't evoke feelings and thoughts of "secret relief and soothing and getting away with something naughty" like it used to feel. That's good, I guess LOL!

On track food wise today. Need to write another paper so I better get crackin'! Have a good day.

DG
Awesome!

You are doing so good with eating and exercise/thinking and rethinking/ nothing like knowledge. I hope everyone has a good week!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Does any one no how to make mayo
Hi portcop! Good for you looking to make your own mayo. It's really easy and so much better than the garbage seed oils used in most commercial mayos. You can google "mayonnaise recipe" and lots will come up. I like to use light olive oil but you can do it using other oils or combinations of oils as well. A good secret I came across that seems to work is to crack the egg into the food processor and let it sit there long enough to be room temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
Awesome!

You are doing so good with eating and exercise/thinking and rethinking/ nothing like knowledge. I hope everyone has a good week!
Thanks!!

DG
Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #247
Big Yapper!!!!

I am becoming like my mother. She has type 2 insulin dependent diabetes, has had a mini-stroke,carotid artery blockage and a host of other medical conditions that all revolve around eating too many carbs. I see my future but can't get in control despite knowing that I am harming my health. I used to get so upset with my mom when I watched her to do the same things I am doing now. I will try the 5htp again tomorrow sublingually and see if it helps, otherwise I am at a loss. I hate even posting this but I promised I wouldn't hide.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-30-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie - I am SO GLAD you are keeping your promise not to hide!!!! I know that feeling of watching myself do (eat) stuff that is cRaZy and feeling like I am powerless to stop it.

I am really determined to stick to my eating plan today. I have it already set up in my tracker (Life Form) and no matter what, I'm going to stick to it. No peanuts or extra *whatever* that isn't already in the plan. I can do this for one day.

DG
Old 10-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

DG you can do it since fri I'm down 1.5 lbs but i no I can not have nuts or cheese they just stall me always have even when I did Atkins before.once I lose weigh I can add them back in,so does pork rines ...we y'all have a great day off for my first day on my new job!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am really determined to stick to my eating plan today. I have it already set up in my tracker (Life Form) and no matter what, I'm going to stick to it. No peanuts or extra *whatever* that isn't already in the plan. I can do this for one day.

DG

I know you can, I can too! For just this one day we will do this!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
You can definitely do it!!!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
DG you can do it since fri I'm down 1.5 lbs but i no I can not have nuts or cheese they just stall me always have even when I did Atkins before.once I lose weigh I can add them back in,so does pork rines ...we y'all have a great day off for my first day on my new job!
WOO HOO! I take it they got all your paperwork or whatever straightened out?!! Have a good day!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I know you can, I can too! For just this one day we will do this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
You can definitely do it!!!
We will do it!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #254
Big Yapper!!!!

So glad this thread is continuing... Everyone is doing so well that it gives me hope and inspiration to keep on trying.

Really good day so far got a really good walk/run workout in today, I am already sore, so tomorrow should be even worse! Oh well a good workout always makes me feel happy and motivated.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie, I'm with you about the workouts!! Sometimes I have to really drag myself kicking and screaming to do it, but I ALWAYS feel great after! (so what is my problem???) I went to my Seniors strength and mobility this morning. It was a good workout! this gal really pushes us, but not cRaZy like the "young people" classes LOL!

I'm the featured speaker at a meeting tonight and I'm nervous. Oh well. In a couple hours it will all be over with!

Gotta run...

DG
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

Hello fellow travelers!

Speaking engagement went fine last night. I'm always nervous! Ended up knawing on some almonds which are WAY too high in calories for me. But it's better than sugarcarbies so I'm not in a panic. I'm trying to let go of the "all or nothing" perfectionist in me. That doesn't serve me well because "if I can't be perfect I might as well give up" is what happens.

I hope I can heal myself mentally with food. And also my body image and just being OK with myself and focusing on being healthy. That's what it's all about. LOL my "hottie" days are behind me!

Waving to Jeanie, portcop (hope your first official day of work went well!) Scalestepper and Christine!

DG
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Great job! I agree that perfectionism is the devil! I need to let that go as well. Here's to our good health!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Indeed, to our good health.

I am doing OK with choosing OK foods. However, I MUST get the portions down.

Jeanie - what's shakin' girl? Portcop? Scalestepper? Hope everyone is having a good day!

DG
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #259
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi there.
Got in another good workout today and eating has been good. Allowing myself a few more carbs in the way of yogurt and an occasional 1/2 apple, but portions are in check. Fasting BG was 84 this morning!!
Did anyone see the thread about type 3 diabetes? Scary stuff. This even has my candy eating husband's attention.

DG-Glad your speaking engagement went well DG. Still doing okay with BG and the higher carb amounts?

Can you tell me about your hormone replacement and the symptoms you had before you decided to do replacement therapy?

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-02-2012 at 03:33 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Hi ladies, saying hi and glad everyone is doing good! kutgw!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #261
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi everyone. Hope all is well. Good day here. Great workout and eating well.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,hope all is doing good,,sorry Mia had company from Canada .i did gain 2 lbs yesterday..but think its from eating out!For some reason when I eat out I gain. I think it's MSG they put in food..o well ill lose it
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ladies! Sorry for no check in yesterday - Wednesday is my LONG day at school right now. Next week is Midterms plus I have a research paper due soon, and another paper due at the end of October. So I seriously have to quit goofing around LOL!

Jeanie - I'm so glad things are going well and especially happy (and jealous!!) about that 84 FBG! Mine are still way too high so I'm working on acceptance that I just won't be able to eat much in the way of carbs at all if I want to remain healthy and not on meds. So I'm back to that drawing board! I have not read about D3 (saw it mentioned somewhere along the way, but haven't read up on it). Will have to check it out.

Portcop -glad to hear from you!! Hope all is well on the new job. Eating out is always a ???? for me too. Who knows what the heck is really in the food sometimes.

Shout out to Scalestepper! Also CHristine!

Well, I know that carbs don't work for me. I know that fat is a slippery slope (pun intended! ) for me. That leaves protein. I know people talk about fat being the most satiating, but that is not true according to research. Protein is the most satiating. So...what plan involves a focus on protein? Dukan. I feel like the biggest plan hopper in the world, but diong nothing isn't an option either. So I am embarking on yet another adventure.... Eventually I will get this figured out!

Sometimes I think I really am cRaZy.

DG
Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Ladies! Sorry for no check in yesterday - Wednesday is my LONG day at school right now. Next week is Midterms plus I have a research paper due soon, and another paper due at the end of October. So I seriously have to quit goofing around LOL!

Well, I know that carbs don't work for me. I know that fat is a slippery slope (pun intended! ) for me. That leaves protein. I know people talk about fat being the most satiating, but that is not true according to research. Protein is the most satiating. So...what plan involves a focus on protein? Dukan. I feel like the biggest plan hopper in the world, but diong nothing isn't an option either. So I am embarking on yet another adventure.... Eventually I will get this figured out!

Sometimes I think I really am cRaZy.

DG
Hi, you sure have a busy schedule, I know you'll do well!

I'll be interested to hear about Dukan, I know nothing of it but always like to learn more.

Hi to everyone!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi, you sure have a busy schedule, I know you'll do well!

I'll be interested to hear about Dukan, I know nothing of it but always like to learn more.

Hi to everyone!
Hi Scalestepper!

Lots of protein and not much else for a few days.

Then alternating protein days (and not much else) with protein + low starch veg days basically until goal weight is met.

Of course, there is a whole book about it! (but a lot of that book must be fluff if I can sum it up in two sentences, right????)

Anyway, for today, hunger is at bay. Maybe more protein is it? I can only hope. And keep trying. That is all.

Nighty night!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #266
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope it works for you DG!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Scalestepper!

Anyway, for today, hunger is at bay. Maybe more protein is it? I can only hope. And keep trying. That is all.

Nighty night!
For sure!!!!!

No hunger is wonderful!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Hope it works for you DG!
Jeanie, I hope your day is good!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #269
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Jeanie, I hope your day is good!
Thanks it has been good!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #270
Big Yapper!!!!

How is Dukan going DG? Are you following the book and having the yogurt and oatbran?