LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #181
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/149/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Jean I would have taken them back ,!, I had a real bad day.i was so moodieeee I even cried..then for about 3 hours I could have ate a hourse.so I ate pork rines ,cheese,fat bombs.coffee with hwc and co..that helped a lot did not like that..so I no ill gain tommorrow cause I had stress??yuk...
Sorry to hear you cried. I get like that from time to time as well. You won in my book by staying low carb.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I did do that can't cheat now takes week to get back...so I cheated on LC foods..it worked my fats was high.150.9 a little higher than I like...
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.2/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Fast went pretty well but I don't know for sure of my calorie count. I got really hungry, annoyed and impatient at dinner and just sort of eyeballed portions. I was annoyed at having to throw out 2 avocados that I just bought last night that were spoiled.
Hi Jeannie. Sorry you were beset by the hunger and irritability. I always experience that for days it seems whenever I am coming off carbs. I hope you will hang in there!

Quote:
Jean I would have taken them back ,!, I had a real bad day.i was so moodieeee I even cried..then for about 3 hours I could have ate a hourse.so I ate pork rines ,cheese,fat bombs.coffee with hwc and co..that helped a lot did not like that..so I no ill gain tommorrow cause I had stress??yuk...
I'm sorry you cried! I hope you are feeling better today. I hate when that happens - when I just can't seem to not cry.

Quote:
I did do that can't cheat now takes week to get back...so I cheated on LC foods..it worked my fats was high.150.9 a little higher than I like...
that is a real victory to just eat more on plan foods rather that cave to the crave for carbs!!!!! I too am being really deterimined that no matter what happens, I will NOT eat sugarcarbies. So far so good.

FBG 103 this morning. Not too bad considering the business get together last night. I ate LC before I went so only took a very small amount of chili. I was sad when I took a bite of salad to realize it had a sweet dressing on it. So I left that on the plate. Had a few grapes with some cheese for dessert. A victory of sorts! I was glad BG was not higher this morning.

Hi to scalestepper! Hope all you ladies have a fabulous day!

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

DG.yes I'm feeling much better today!!i think having all that fat helped me from cheating on sugar stuff.plus those fat bombs real help..I think I'm going to split my prot.up tru out the day?i going to hide my scales told h to put them up so I can not find them..toooooo stressfully ??
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
I am so glad everyone is feeling better, good going! Let's have a good day!

We can do hard!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #186
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Ladies
Cookies, milkshake, candy and who knows what else I think I am going to just stop posting for a while and maybe come back and read and see how you all are doing. What I am doing is obviously not working, so maybe if I just stop obsessing about diet and find some other distractions for a while I will be better able to figure out just what it is I need to do to stop this diet/binge cycle that has become my life. I am so proud of all of you and appreciate all the support you have given me.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry jean,if I can help let me no
Old 09-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi Ladies
Cookies, milkshake, candy and who knows what else I think I am going to just stop posting for a while and maybe come back and read and see how you all are doing. What I am doing is obviously not working, so maybe if I just stop obsessing about diet and find some other distractions for a while I will be better able to figure out just what it is I need to do to stop this diet/binge cycle that has become my life. I am so proud of all of you and appreciate all the support you have given me.
(((Jeanie))) This struggle is SO challenging and SO hard. We know. Of course you have to do what you think is right for yourself but I am hoping you choose to stick around. At least in my case, I always want to go hide when I feel out of control with food. And yet it always seems that isolating myself from my support systems makes it WORSE not better. Of course it might not be that way for you but just wanted to throw that out there. I hope all of us finds what will work to keep us out of the binge cycle for the long haul!

DG
Old 09-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Nice said DG
Old 09-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Hugs to all! I can only say you girls look good,

Jeanie I hope you stay, this is something we can all be going through in the blink of an eye, we are so fragile at times, no one stronger than the other, just in different places at different times. Trying to keep up with percentages may be too stressful, I would be for me, maybe an easier approach, I dunno ...good luck in finding your way to peace with food again.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Sending all kinds of special vibes to Jeanie, portcop and Scalestepper today!! Jeanie - I hope you are lurking and if so, I hope you decide to pop in.

I'm seriously thinking about trying to follow Diabetes Miracle for a while. I am at the point where I am firmly (for now anyway) OFF the sugar. I still get the "itch" to over eat sometimes but I think what remains of that is old habits. They still die hard, but it's not the same as those urgent, can't be denied sugarcarby cravings. So....it's really time to pick a plan and try to stick with it!

What I like about DM is that she offeres a very specific strategy to work on AM (dawn phenomenon) BG issues. That is my worst BG issue, so can I commit to 8 weeks of following this plan??? To see what happens??? We'll see! So far today I'm on it. I think I will just go one moment at a time for now. I'm truly so tired of the diet roller coaster ride. I want off!! I really don't care if I ever weigh less. I DO care, however, about finding a way I can be peaceful about food and also (hopefully) be peaceful with BG.

That's what my rambling brain is chewing on today, LOL! Have a great day ladies!

DG
Old 09-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

DG you really have to do what's right for you ..I no when I keep LC under 20 fat at 125 andmy protein around 60 and eat my fat bombs I do not crave food at all.i think I will always think about food,but I no its like poison to me...so I had to choose this way of life for ever..at first it was very hard I wanted wine cheese and crackers but I no those 5 crackers I had 2 weeks ago made me sick for 3 days,just from wheat cracker not sugar..so now I no never will I be able to eat wheat,sugar ever again...I hope this helps we are here for you always don't matter what choice you make.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
What I like about DM is that she offeres a very specific strategy to work on AM (dawn phenomenon) BG issues. That is my worst BG issue, so can I commit to 8 weeks of following this plan??? To see what happens??? We'll see! So far today I'm on it. I think I will just go one moment at a time for now. I'm truly so tired of the diet roller coaster ride. I want off!! I really don't care if I ever weigh less. I DO care, however, about finding a way I can be peaceful about food and also (hopefully) be peaceful with BG.

That's what my rambling brain is chewing on today, LOL! Have a great day ladies!

DG
Hi DG, popping in to say hi and find out how you're doing and wow, it sounds like you may have found a program that works with your issues, 8 weeks, sure you can do that!!! All we can say is we live in the moment so being on program today is great! To me, the key thing is...that you do care about being peaceful with food and bg and that's really what it's all about. That being under control brings on the feel good hormones, woohoo! You already have your weight under control and looking good!
I love reading about your journey, you are so strong, positive and looking for ways to improve you wol and woe. I read we can't fail if we don't stop, good luck!!!

Last edited by scalestepper; 09-19-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Portcop and Scalestepper - so awesome to read your words of encouragement! I really do feel good being totally off the sugar and grains. (that isn't going to change at all) DM is a low carb plan. It's actually just more specific about timing of the limited carbs one eats that are beyond the carbs found in non starch vegs and a few other LC items. (cheese, etc.)

I will definitely be interested in seeing what happens to the fasting BG after a week or two of consistently doing her protocol. Also my 2 hour post prandial readings are now in the "normal" zone (so long as I stay LC) but "normal" is a wide range and I would love to get those down into the 80's rather than the 90's / low 100's.

I have to say I've been scale obsessed for most of my life so it's sort of cool to obsess about something other than weight right now, LOL! (just kidding...sort of!)

Well, I need to get crackin' on some homework and getting ready for my final this Saturday. No rest for the wicked. Shout out to Jeanie - we're thinking of you! Have a great day ladies!

DG
Old 09-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #195
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone
Just eating what I want without binging and am down a pound, I feel like crap though no energy, hot flashes, waking during the night for hours at a time the last two nights and very irritable. Menopause maybe? I know I can't continue to eat this way even if I don't gain weight but am not sure exactly what my next move is.

Sounds like all of you all are continuing to do well. Finals already DG?

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-20-2012 at 05:13 PM..
Old 09-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jeanie! It's awesome to see you - I am so glad you decided to pop in! Congrats on not binging. At least for me, that is such a huge deal after being in that mode of operation. Rather than try to make big changes to follow a specific plan right now, what would it be like to just make some small changes that you think improve the healthy nature of what you are eating? (not sure what is all part of "whatever you want" LOL! I guess I'm thinking in terms of what my "whatever I want" choices would be which probably would NOT all be healthy!!)

I go through so much angst over my weight and frankly, here I am in September at around the same weight I was at the start of the year! All this angst for....what???

A good reminder that what is really important to me right now is the BG!

Jeanie, keep us posted on what you do!

DG
Old 09-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Marking my spot! Will come back to read the rest.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Finals already DG?
Forgot to answer that part yesterday! I have a strange schedule this semester. The final I have Saturday is for a 1 credit hour class that meets 4 Saturdays for 3.75 hours each Saturday. This teacher calls them his "short topic classes." This one is about adolescent treatment. So tomorrow is our fourth Saturday and we will have lecture for the first 1/2 of class, then take the final after that.

There are two other short topic Saturday classes this semester. I'm not taking the next one, but will be taking the last one which is about DUI counseling. For the next 4 Saturdays "off" I need to get crackin' and get some research papers done for my other classes!!! Due dates will be here before I can say "low carb friends!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
Marking my spot! Will come back to read the rest.
Hi Christine!! Glad you popped in. I'm going to check out your journal too! It's fun making connections over time here in the journal section.

Hearty good morning also to portcop and scalestepper!

I have continued to read voraciously (did I spell that right?). I downloaded the "Diet 101" and "Blood Sugar 101" books. Blood Sugar 101 is such an informative web site. Anyway...I started "Diet 101" last night she talked about some things in the introduction that really made my eyes pop out! Rather than try to get into it when I don't yet understand what she's talking about, I'm just going to keep reading. AFTER I review for my final! Will let you know if any interesting info comes out. She really digs deep into the research studies and talks about what other people seem to gloss over or ignore.

I decided to do an "at home" glucose tolerance test. 75g carbs (I used 12 ounces of white potato baked without skin). Tested BG before (100) and will be testing each hour for 4 hours. My carbs have not been super low lately due to excess nut consumption. (so...over 50g per day) That needs to stop. But I figured if there were ever a good time to just do the dang GTT it's now. I will record these numbers in my notebook of ALL numbers that I will show my doc in December.

Then after this test, I have to get totally serious about LOW carb. Not "sorta low carb." I am glad to say I have had no fantasies of any note about sugarcarbies. So it's time to tighten the reins (I'm pretty sure that is not spelled right LOL!)

I'm really not in the mood to study for this final but I better do it anyway!

Have a good day ladies!

DG
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I decided to do an "at home" glucose tolerance test. 75g carbs (I used 12 ounces of white potato baked without skin). Tested BG before (100) and will be testing each hour for 4 hours. My carbs have not been super low lately due to excess nut consumption. (so...over 50g per day) That needs to stop. But I figured if there were ever a good time to just do the dang GTT it's now. I will record these numbers in my notebook of ALL numbers that I will show my doc in December.

Then after this test, I have to get totally serious about LOW carb. Not "sorta low carb." I am glad to say I have had no fantasies of any note about sugarcarbies. So it's time to tighten the reins (I'm pretty sure that is not spelled right LOL!)

I'm really not in the mood to study for this final but I better do it anyway!

Have a good day ladies!

DG

Hello to all, Jeanie, good to see you! Dg, I think it's so neat that you're doing this at home testing, using one's control, awesome!

Good luck with what you're learning and studying! BBL....off to catch up.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #200
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi Jeanie! It's awesome to see you - I am so glad you decided to pop in! Congrats on not binging. At least for me, that is such a huge deal after being in that mode of operation. Rather than try to make big changes to follow a specific plan right now, what would it be like to just make some small changes that you think improve the healthy nature of what you are eating? (not sure what is all part of "whatever you want" LOL! I guess I'm thinking in terms of what my "whatever I want" choices would be which probably would NOT all be healthy!!)

I go through so much angst over my weight and frankly, here I am in September at around the same weight I was at the start of the year! All this angst for....what???

A good reminder that what is really important to me right now is the BG!

Jeanie, keep us posted on what you do!

DG

Still thinking about what "plan" I should pursue. I have found that over the last couple of days that I can eat trail mix w/m&m's w/o gaining weight, (actually I lost a pound) as long as I don't eat too much food overall or have other carbs throughout the day. This isn't sustainable nor healthy, but it does sort of tell me that my metabolism is probably still somewhat normal despite my eating habits.

I was of the mind that I didn't want to do HRT, but I don't know if I can stick it out. The hot flashes, mood changes and sleep disturbance is really taking a toll on me. I feel like a wet dishrag much of the time yuck!
Anyone else doing the hormone replacement?

DG- Good luck on your final!

scalestepper and portcop01.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

I hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
Good luck with what you're learning and studying! BBL....off to catch up.
Thanks scalestepper! Took the final today and got an A on the final and an A in the class. It's nice to have this "short topic" credit under my belt already for this semester!

Quote:
Still thinking about what "plan" I should pursue. I have found that over the last couple of days that I can eat trail mix w/m&m's w/o gaining weight, (actually I lost a pound) as long as I don't eat too much food overall or have other carbs throughout the day. This isn't sustainable nor healthy, but it does sort of tell me that my metabolism is probably still somewhat normal despite my eating habits.
I'm thinking the most important thing to figure out is a way of eating that will allow us to not binge. Whatever good I think I do with my diet is really undone, I'm sure, if I start binging. So for me right now, I am willing to eat whatever way works where I don't end up binging. For now, I think that's that healthiest move I can make. Some trail mix can't possibly be as damaging as a dozen donuts plus some candy bars or whatever. (my binges are really horrible!!!)

Quote:
I was of the mind that I didn't want to do HRT, but I don't know if I can stick it out. The hot flashes, mood changes and sleep disturbance is really taking a toll on me. I feel like a wet dishrag much of the time yuck!
Anyone else doing the hormone replacement?
I am on bioidentical hormones (estrogen and protesterone) and they were a miracle. They trick is finding the right doctor.

[/QUOTE]

Shout out to portcop too!

BG 104 this morning. Not too bad after a carby experiment yesterday. I included 3 oz of grapes with my dinner and I'm seeing what that does. 1 hour was 137. It sure doesn't take much to send it up. I can handle 137 though. Curious where it will be at 2 hours.

I'm reading Jenny Ruhl's book about low carb diets. She is the one who does the Blood Sugar 101 site (which I love - very educational). She really digs around in the existing research studies to see if claims made by the authors can be substantiated with existing research. She also has called out some interesting things buried in these studies that I've not heard before. It's an interesting read. I just read about hunger and hormones. Some different ideas than what we hear all the time.

Nighty night all!

DG
Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Hi DG glad to here from you..always keep us up with your experiment !and when you learn new things...I've not weigh since wed.dont no we're I stand but in July I wore size 18 now I'm in 14 yes been years..

I'd like to read that book you are reading!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #204
Blabbermouth!!!

Way to go on the A in your class DG!

What does Jenny say about hunger and hormones? She used to post here a lot but I haven't seen her in quite a while. I think I remember some butting of heads as she felt Atkins missed some important points and that maintaining losses was very hard??

Okay, I found her kindle book I'll read it myself.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-23-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning portcop and Jeanie! Also waving to Scalestepper!

Jeanie you are on the right track with some of her thoughts. I was not around here when she was posting - I bet that was interesting. She is not "for" or "against" low carb. (My guess is that she is more "for" than "against.") She is just challenging certain points based on whether they stand up to the existing research studies or not. I'm finding it refreshing.

What she describes about weight gain after a loss on LC is me to a tee. One part of the problem is incorporting more fat into the diet while low carb, and then not lowering the fat when increasing the carbs. That just results in high fat high carb which is not only fattening, but also high fat in the presence of a lot of carbs seems to be what causes some of the dangerous health markers. I'm not quoting her though - this is a rather technical read so I do think it's better we all read for ourselves and decide what is meaningful as individuals.

As far as hunger, she certainly describes the insulin and blood sugar issues, but also talks about other hormones and the role they potentially play = basically my understanding is that it really is a more complex issue than what some authors of LC books would have us believe. Also, some things that initially "improve" with LC (i.e. things that supress hunger) tend to reappear shortly after some weight loss occurs. As we all know, it's challenging to maintain weight loos on any type of diet because our bodies are wired for so long to avoid starvation.

I guess what I am seeing is a reality check. I don't know that I will personally find "nervana" in any plan. If I want to weigh less than I do right now, that will probably involve dealing with a certain amount of hunger. That has sure been the case so far!!!

Another thing I found interesting is the studies she referenced about satiety. WW always talks about protein as the most satiating macronutrient. Here on LCF, I perceive there is a camp that believes fat is the most satiating macronutrient. According to Jenny, studies really do show that protein is more satiating than fat. That might explain in part why lowering my protein and increasing my fat (for me anyway) didn't get me to that "no hunger" place.

I dont' know yet what i will do with any of this info, I'm just finding it an interesting read. What a great reminder that our bodies really are very complex, and "easy answers" are really very limited - despite what some authors would have us believe. (As an example, I will mention Gary Taubes. I know he has a lot of fans around here but I personally think he over simplifies and skips some important stuff. Leptin as one example. Calories "not mattering" is another example. My opinions only, of course)

OK - enough of a novel for a Sunday! FBG 118 this morning. You know what's funny? Every day for about a week or maybe a little more it's been alternating between 10X and 11X. Up, down, up, down about 10 - 12 points, alternating every day. What's up with that? All, of course, within the range of inaccuracy for the monitor.

I'm going to make some stir fry chicken for lunch!

DG
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #206
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the summary (novel) DG We are steam cleaning the carpets today, so I will start reading the book later tonight. I just remembered something Jenny told me when she was here at LCF, she said I would mostly like develop Type 2 diabetes regardless of whether I ate Low carb or not due to my strong family history. I don't know if this is true or if she still holds that view. Parents on both sides are/were type 2 and so far two of my younger siblings have type 2. I suspect more of my siblings (there are 7 of us) are at the least per-diabetic, but rarely do they go to the doctor for checkups.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Great summary; very interesting stuff! I think so many things can vary for different people, too. For example, you had no luck with lower protein and higher fat, but for me, it's the exact opposite. I think the quest to find a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition is shaky (i.e. the food pyramid). Since the body is one walking chemistry lab and each lab contains significant differences, how could adding the same ingredients produce the same results? People need to experiment and find what works for them; I always love reading about what people are doing! I REALLY love reading when they find something that works for them!

Have a great day!

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Christine! I am so happy you found what works for you. It gives me hope that I will one day figure things out for myself. Sometimes I think part of my problem is that I expect *magic.* I got that my first time around with LC, but as we all have either read around here or experienced, it ain't that easy on subsequent occassions. And IMO, maintenance is the hardest of all. (unfortunately) I think that ends up as a mental barrier for me - knowing how easy it was to fall off the wagon (and not get up) after a year+ at goal. I don't think I truly appreciated the importance of finding a true lifestyle that I can live with. Heck, I might end up having to accept my current weight and find a comfortable way to maintain it. I'm 15 - 20 pounds over my "vanity" goal (depending on the day LOL) but I would rather be here than be back over 200 - I was very uncomfortable in my skin then. (and looked and felt unhealthy)

Quote:
Thanks for the summary (novel) DG We are steam cleaning the carpets today, so I will start reading the book later tonight. I just remembered something Jenny told me when she was here at LCF, she said I would mostly like develop Type 2 diabetes regardless of whether I ate Low carb or not due to my strong family history. I don't know if this is true or if she still holds that view. Parents on both sides are/were type 2 and so far two of my younger siblings have type 2. I suspect more of my siblings (there are 7 of us) are at the least per-diabetic, but rarely do they go to the doctor for checkups.
I think you will like the book. I was just reading a little over lunch that touched on her thoughts (based on research) pertaining to some of the genetic issues. Once again, I don't feel like I can try to summarize and do it justice!

Carpet cleaning??? YUCK! (but clean carpets are nice!)

DG
Old 09-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #209
Senior LCF Member

ladies!

DG, that's awesome about getting an A! That summary is really good reading, thanks for sharing! I hope we all find the magic potion!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Morning all, off to work first day on new job have not worked for year and half,husband told me quit spending or go to work..so I went to work..I'm a CNA I love to help people,