Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I just made mine to! I had to make my own almond butter.one at store had sugar added.i hope they don't make me gain??will see
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
I just made mine to! I had to make my own almond butter.one at store had sugar added.i hope they don't make me gain??will see
I don't use the recipe with nut butters. Me and nut butters are a problem! (eat too much)

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

What do u use?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Hi Jeanie! What did you delete???? I'm sorry you didn't sleep well and aren't feeling well. That's no fun! 113 BG AFTER eating sounds pretty darn awesome actually???

I made a batch of fat bombs today and added unsweetened coconut and also some chopped walnuts I found in the freezer while locating the coconut. OMG is that good!!! Ate a bit too much out of the bowl actually. I'm going to have to be careful with those. I probably should just make plain ones in the future!!!

DG
I don't like the 113 because I used to run high 80's or at most 90ish after meals.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

FBF 100, Ketones .8, 167.8

I'm very happy with the FBG and ketone numbers!! Yesterday I ate WAY too much food. It was mainly in the form of fat though. That is a much better way to go for my health markers than venturing to carb land when I am "munchy." Paid a small price on the scale but nothing like a carb binge! I'm actually shockingly weight stable it seems, considering that my calories are nearly always over 2,000 right now. I'm OK with that - just focusing on getting stable with my LC eating, watching BG, and working on ketosis. Eventually my hunger will decrease I think, and the weight loss will come. I've learned the hard way not to "try too hard' to restrict calories before my body is ready for that.

copying part of my post from the NK thread for posterity:
Quote:
I am back up to .8 on the ketone meter. As the "slip slidey" for the last few weeks of this journey, here is what I've learned based on the data - BG readings, ketone readings, scale readings:

* A journey to carb land carries a high price. One day totally off plan takes me many days (more than 3) to recover. Today I'm finally back "in the zone" (per Phinney/Volek) at .8 (I was 1.7 before my last venture to carb land) and it's been 7 days.

* FBG seems to track with that pretty closely. FBG today was 100 - hasn't been that low since before I kicked myself out of NK. (my post prandial numbers later in the day come back down more quickly - takes a couple of days for those to come back down based on "where I am" with BG.)

* My goals right now are to get properly and consistently transitions back to LC from a low fat high carb plan. So the transition to NK has been a little rocky - I've dealt with hunger, cravings, etc. that I think are more problematic than if I had already been consistently LC before taking it up a notch to NK. So....my calories have been very much on the high side. Despite a couple of complete falls back to carb land, I'm still a couple pounds down over the last few weeks which is AMAZING. That many calories a day on high carb would have meant absolute weight gains. Just knowing I can eat this way and not worry about calories, and stay basically weight stable is a huge load off my mind! I'm used to the continual stress of balancing hunger and weight gain - oy what a life! (not)

* I wish I had been taking my BGs before but I sure am glad I came across this NK thread, and got the meter, and tested them now. I had no idea I had such a problem developing - especially with my FBG. So I'm grateful to be eating differently with BG control being my #1 issue. It's clear from the data collected over the last few weeks that keeping fat high, protein truly moderate (68g is the low end of my target range and I try to not go over 75), and carbs low WORKS for this goal.

What I hope to accomplish in the next few weeks:

* More consistency staying on plan every day no matter what, and eating more fat if I feel I *have* to eat more for whatever reason. (which may or may not be actual hunger)

* Paying more attention to actual hunger v. desires to stress eat, etc. and keep focusing on the fat!

BG control and days where I forget about food would be a wonderful thing, and I think NK is what will get me there.

Just wanted to throw my current thoughts down in righting while I'm thinking about it!
So - my main focus for now is just keeping it consistently LC and eating a high % of my calories from fat.

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I don't like the 113 because I used to run high 80's or at most 90ish after meals.
Hi Jeanie! I think it's awesome you are watching this. There is no doubt in my mind that our ability to handle high volumes of carbs just changes as we batter our systems with it. Good for us we are working on this NOW rather than waiting for the BG to get totally out of hand.

Waving to scalestepper and portcop and anyone else who might be brave enough to lurk!

DG
Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all, now I've been doing the LC,HFCs,mp.for 2 days very strick.i was at first thinking I'm going to gain on this much cal,and fat,I've been eating LC for 2mo already.but came to a stand still.so thought I would up my fat and lower protein.well guess what I did and I've lost 2 lbs in 2 days not bad.i was eating 1000 cal now I'm eating 1400 and still losing

I love the new fat bombs they are eating..I do not crave any thing or hungry at all and I get heavy cream in my coffee .
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats Portcop on your progress! I need to remember that a cup of coffee with heavy cream is a great alternative to "food" when I feel I need a snack! It really is insance getting use to the idea that all this fat is "OK."

DG
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #129
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi all, now I've been doing the LC,HFCs,mp.for 2 days very strick.i was at first thinking I'm going to gain on this much cal,and fat,I've been eating LC for 2mo already.but came to a stand still.so thought I would up my fat and lower protein.well guess what I did and I've lost 2 lbs in 2 days not bad.i was eating 1000 cal now I'm eating 1400 and still losing

I love the new fat bombs they are eating..I do not crave any thing or hungry at all and I get heavy cream in my coffee .
That's great! I haven't been hungry either which is surprising.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Great attitude and focus DG. I think you are right the appetite will decrease as we go along.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks DG..yes the coffe does help with the heavy cream I put 2 tbs and 1 pk stevia..it keeps me from craving o believe?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Great attitude and focus DG. I think you are right the appetite will decrease as we go along.
I sure hope so. I really tried to keep it to about 1700 calories today but I just couldn't do it. Seems that for right now, my body isn't happy unless it has 2,000. (and of course I can always pack away more!! EGAD!) I am trying to just stay focused on my primary goals, and trust the process. I'm trying to adopt the attitude that I will eat as healthy as I can figure out how to do, and let my body (and weight) do whatever it's going to do.

But jeezy petes I hope the ketosis hunger killing takes effect soon!!!

Tonight I over shot my protein too. I will still hungry after my planned dinner so had 3 TBS of peanut butter. I should have just had a couple more fat bombs. (mine do not have nut butter) At any rate, I ended up about 80g protein and 25g carbs (14 net) and 2,000 cals. Will see what the BG and keto meters have to say in the AM!

Quote:
Thanks DG..yes the coffe does help with the heavy cream I put 2 tbs and 1 pk stevia..it keeps me from craving o believe?
I can definitely do a coffee with heavy cream rather than a snack. I like stevia in it too, but I've been doing it lately with just cream. Trying to eat less sweeteners over all. Right now my only sweets are fat bombs. But I did make some SF jello and if I get hungry later tonight will go for that as a "filler" rather than add a bunch more macros to my day!

DG
Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

DG pour some hwc on your jello .i do with about 2 tbs.geting your fat and helps with hungry?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

Pretty good day, getting my energy back but I am still so hot and sweaty all the time.
I am not hungry at all with this high fat/lower protein woe. I did have to take some of my nausea meds this evening and am feeling a little bit of reflux though so I may cut back slightly on the fat and see how things go. It's funny instead of tuna with mayo it is more having mayo with tuna, and for dinner I had ground pork with very little pork, but added an egg yolk, lots of butter and a bit of Parmesan cheese. The volume seems so low but so far I am finding that I am satisfied. I hope it continues and that I am not just very hungry due to not feeling so hot? Day 4 and counting....

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-10-2012 at 06:01 PM..
Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Jean your doing great.once you get your # right it gets easy
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Hello Dg and ladies, I hope all is going good tonight. Looks like you've had a busy schedule Dg, hope it's calming some!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
DG pour some hwc on your jello .i do with about 2 tbs.geting your fat and helps with hungry?
That's an awesome idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
Looks like you've had a busy schedule Dg, hope it's calming some!
This week is far less stressful than last week! It sure helps not getting cRaZy calls to bail people out of jail, etc.

Jean - you are ROCKIN' IT! Congrats on day 4. I'm wondering if the little nausea and symptoms like that will fade - maybe this is just your body going through the transition to nutritional ketosis? I can't wait to get the appetite supression everyone is talking about. Where did I get such a GINORMOUS appetite, anyway?????

DG
Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

***NOTE TO SELF ABOUT SORE THROAT***

A few sugarcarby binges ago, I felt like I had a sore throat. It was on one side (left) of my throat and it felt sore and swollen. I didn't make the connection right away, but eventually I noticed this throat thing seemed to happen in conjunction with sugarcarby binges.

I wonder what that's all about? SCARY stuff.

If I ever think I can "eat just one cookie" please remind me about this scary symptom in addition to soaring BG readings, weight gain, sleepless nights, and all the other insanity.

DG
Old 09-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

DG you are so right no no no more sugar binges ..I did not eat sugar but did have 2 glasses of wine and some wheat thins and took me 3 days to feel good again..I no wheat is bad foe me and sugar so I never can eat that poison again..

I no if I eat eggs with co in the morning I get so much engery.dont no why but this must be a fuel starter.i love it....

3 days 3 lbs gone for ever I no its cause I cut my prot.down and fat up.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Good morning!!! I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Portcop! I can't handle wheat either. Sugar and wheat are just crazy making for me!

Hi scalestepper! Hope you are having a good day too.

Jeanie? How is the new job going?

Late check in for me - busy morning. Caught up on some book keeping for our business (yuk) and then went for a walk. Our neighborhood has gotten really bad with dogs getting loose (or just being left loose). I started carrying pepper spray when a pit bull came after me a little less than a year ago. There are a LOT of walkers in our neighborhood and most carry either pepper spray or sticks/bats/etc. I keep telling myself I need to just quit walking here and go to the gym (I hate the dreadmill though!) and stop taking chances.

Well...over labor day weekend I was walking early in the morning and a lady had her dog in her front yard loose with her. Of coure the minute the dog saw me it started coming at me barking. It may not have been a biter, but how the heck do I know? I was on the opposite side of the street and I yelled NO!!! but it didn't stop - kept coming. Once it got close to me I sprayed it. Needless to say the woman was pissed (but so was I!) and I just walked on.

Today her boyfriend/husband/somebody or other actually came after me in his truck. Not to run over me (I don't think) but giving me crap with the window down and following along just yelling. Of course he was accusing me of chasing his dog in his driveway and spraying it there. Um...No. I finally took a step towards his truck and held up my spray and asked if he wanted some too.

Anyway...it's just getting too crazy to walk in my neighborhood. I have to figure out a different walking plan.

DG

Anyway
Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #142
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
A few sugarcarby binges ago, I felt like I had a sore throat. It was on one side (left) of my throat and it felt sore and swollen. I didn't make the connection right away, but eventually I noticed this throat thing seemed to happen in conjunction with sugarcarby binges.

I wonder what that's all about? SCARY stuff.

If I ever think I can "eat just one cookie" please remind me about this scary symptom in addition to soaring BG readings, weight gain, sleepless nights, and all the other insanity.

DG

I get congested and start snoring when I eat the sugarcarbies, especially things like pretzels and peanuts. I used to regularly have sinus infections, but have not had one since going low carb. I rarely get sick even with working around small children, unless I have been off plan for too long and then bam I start coming down with every bug I am exposed to.

I feel pretty good energy wise but I think all this sweating may be from the fast weight loss interfering with my hormones. Ironically I have less of the heat flash sensations when I eat the sugarcarbies.

Yes, if only we could/would remember all the unpleasant circumstances that will surely come soon after indulging in the carbs before taking that first bite. It is feeling really great right now to honestly not have much interest in the sugarcarbies when I grocery shop! I hope this high fat thing is sustainable.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-11-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Old 09-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #143
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Jean your doing great.once you get your # right it gets easy
Thanks. Have you got your numbers figured out? I don't track or count anything, but I know I am eating less protein and more fat.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-11-2012 at 04:15 PM..
Old 09-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #144
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
Good morning!!! I hope everyone has a great day!
Hope you had a great day too!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Yes jean I think I have them now
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all! Portcop - what numbers are you shooting for these days?

Jean - I'm so glad to hear that the "draw" of the sugarcarbies seems to be less since decreasing protein / upping fat.

I am feeling the same way. I also have the BG motivator going on too. I can still eat too much fat but nothing like the sugarcarby binges! All in all I am happy with the way things are going. Hoping to get some calorie reduction going soon, but not stressing too much about it.

Hope you fine ladies had an awesome day. I'm heading to bed! I have a meeting in the morning for a "buy local" organization I'm involved with. Then my LOOONG day of classes from 3:30PM - 9:15PM. A big presentation in the 3:30 class to boot. I'll be nervous. I'll also be really glad when it's over - just like with the presentation in the later class last Wednesday. I'm done, and all the other students still have to sweat it out! I will be the first one to go in the early class tomorrow as well.

OK - enough other stuff. Nighty night.

I'm grateful for the wonderful life I have today.

DG
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

DG ...my# are 70-80% fat 18-20% proteins ......carbs low

So cal I try to stay around1200-1500
Fat around 118-130
Carbs always under 20. Dr Atkins said if you stay under 20 you will always be in ketoeous .my sticks are deep dark purple.

I'm 5'1 and weigh 180.2 now.i want to weigh 135-139
I eat a lot of fresh garlic and ginger makes food taste so good.i don't eat the skin on chicken I had olive oil to it..
I think the best thing is eggs for breakfast with co.its gets me really going for the day.when I don't eat eggs I more hungry before noon! Hope this helps!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have a meeting in the morning for a "buy local" organization I'm involved with. Then my LOOONG day of classes from 3:30PM - 9:15PM. A big presentation in the 3:30 class to boot.

I'm grateful for the wonderful life I have today.

DG
Popping in early this morning to say I hope your day goes good with the meeting and classes, great you are doing that!

Also, I worry about the episode with the dog and man following you, I know you'll be careful.

I'm grateful for this wonderful life we have today too!

SS
Old 09-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

DG ...hope your meetings go go today..

Yehaaaaaa I down to the 7o.......179.4 yes yes I've not seen this for years...I just might make my goal to 177 by oct 1'msure working at it..it was due to lowing protein and high fat ...that's 4 lbs in 4 days ..I no it will slow down but this makes up for not losing last week. I think keeping prot.around 60-70' this week I went has low as 50.. So maybe my goal is 50-65. That is we're I seem to lose?

Hope y'all have a great day

My menu for yesterday,
B-2eggs cooked in 1 tbs co a little spinch
L- sardines with out skin or bones in olive oil..yumm
D-4 oz tilapia cooked in garlic and butter,,,1/2 cup green beans cooked in 1 tbs co add garlic.
2 coffee with 4 tbs hwc and 2 Steve
About 16..8 oz of water.maybe more I drink a lot of water..

My wish for all of you this day is lose and be healthy!!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

DG do you use the BG and keto meters?