Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/189/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
Hi Portcop! Wow steak salad sounds GOOOOD! I am still adjusting to that whole "eat fat to lose weight" idea. Even though i was successful in the past with LC, I guess maybe I never fully believed it! Having this ketone meter and really delving into an understanding of ketosis (I am only scratching the surface!) is helping me really accept it. I think the part that was so distracting for me is the fact that fat PLUS high carb definitely is a bad formula. It takes a lot of effort to keep carbs low and protein moderate in order for the fat to do it's job.

Jeanie??? I'm going to come after you and chase you out of hiding if you don't check in soon! It DOES NOT MATTER what is going on with the food. Check in regardless - good or bad. I KNOW what it feels like to battle carbs. I have been doing that non-stop for the last 2+ years. It is HARD to pull out of it. I've re-started LC or WW about 1905738957 times during that time. I know for me, hiding from my support system only made things worse.

(if you are just busy and all is fine, disregard that rant! )

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

166, , Ketones 1.7, Fasting BG 76 WOW

I have a Tanita scale and the interesting thing is that while the BF% always reads artificially high in the AM when dehydrated, over time it does give an interesting indication fo what is happening with body fat. Based on the %'s it gives me since my re-start on 8/17, I have lost only 2.8 pounds total, but 4.7 pounds of fat. So there must be a lean gain in there to make up the difference. Of course the numbers fluctuate around daily, so I will be looking forward to having more data and starting to rely more on weekly averages than any daily numbers. I'm happy I have my inaccurate Tanita!

Also I'm going to start measuring on Sunday. I didn't take measurements on 8/17 but I took them not too long before that. So I do have some reasonable starting data.

Today:
Weight 166 (-.6)
Ketones 1.7
FBG 76 (meter made an unusual beep before giving me this reading so I'll be interested in seeing what the reading is tomorrow - this one might be a fluke)
Yesterdays food:
Cals 1594
Fat: 144g
Carb: 27g (17 net)
Pro: 50g
K/R 2.17

I'm concerned about my protein being at 50g when my minimum seems to be more like 68g. Also my carbs have crept up a little. I'm happy with the results I'm seeing but I'm going to try to get the carbs down a tad (hard) and the protein up a tad (not hard LOL). What threw me off yesterday was not being hungry for breakfast and then adjusting and just not adding back the protein from that. I'm sure as a once in awhile thing its no biggie.

Hunger: Yesterday was lower in cals and I felt like I was a little bit hungry (but not "emergency" hungry) last night. Things went fine at school - I was not jonesing about everyone else's junk food. I was hungry by the time the break rolled around between classes, but ate my high fat low carb/pro stuff and was happy! I volunteered to go first for a class presentation next week which left me feeling "why did I just do that???" stressed. I felt some urges to sooth that stress with food, but these urges were MANAGEABLE unlike the urges in the high carb days - the stress I was feeling last night would have sent me straight to Target on the way home for a bag of candy. I thought about a bed time snack when I got home, but I was able to say "no" to myself and just go to bed. I'm very happy about that.

I also got an A1C kit yesterday and did that test. 5.5 is a good number I think, which suggests maybe I caught this BG creep in time!!! Assuming these things are accurate... My next regular doc appointment (the thyroid/hormone doc) is in December. She will order whatever blood tests I want from the lab, so I think I will ask for a lab A1C and see how that compares to a home test number.

Well, that's about all for the Return to Low Carb report.

Other stuff? I better get crackin' on this presentation.

DG
Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Dg?sounds like your on track!!i no they always preach to us fat is bad for us..they are right,but the good fats are not.they say it ok to eat those healthy breakfast bars which I full of sugar.duuuu...but a pc of good meat is bad..duuuuuuu..I found out if I eat 2 eggs with coconut oil and olive oil.i just ant hungry at all..I'm so full....I put 2 eggs little onion and fresh spinach.in coconut oil and olive oil. Fry them. Yummmm my daughter said they were great? Have a great day!going shopping and to lunch husband b- day.then going to auction tonight?
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Your spinach/egg breakfast sounds yum! Happy Birthday to DH! What sort of auction are you going to? What might you buy? Sounds like fun!

DG
Old 08-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

They auction ever thing.i mostly by old stuff.i love old vintage dolls...but save my money for this flea market here in town ..town has 2000 people but tommorrow there will be 250,000 to 500,000 coming here you can buy any thing you want food,old,stuff,new stuff,quits,toys...ect......unreal.cant see it all in 3 days?.but I'm going to try..and I live in the middle of it.....daughter and granddaughter here from md.her mother- law from pa.andanother couple from ga.coming to stay with us..funny.we will set by campfire tonight,they will have a glass of wine.... I can't have any...o well I will look great soon......
Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/145.6/?
WOE: lc
portcop01. What part of VA are you in? I am in MD.

UGH! It's been a bad few days eating wise. I haven't even started my job yet but went in for a open house and orientation and things felt unorganized and tense to me. Hopefully, I am wrong! I have to figure out how to truly get in to ketosis cause what I am doing isn't working.

DG You are kicking butt and doing especially well considering all your school stress.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Jeaniem I'm in southwest va. Hillsville va..look it up about our flea market! My daughter loves in md..we always go there. Near pax navy base?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Portcop - that auction extravaganza sounds like a lot of fun! Wow that is a LOT of people arriving in a small town. Where do they all stay? I'm assuming in a town of 2,000 there is not hotel space for 200,000!!! Do people camp? That is still a lot of people showing up! I hope you will tell us what you buy!

I stopped drinking alcohol totally about 5.5 years ago. Life is just better that way.

Jeanie I'm sorry you have had a bad few days. I know the feeling for sure - YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! I think sometimes "open house" events are just naturally tense, don't you? It's not the normal routine or setup for anyone and I think it's really easy for stress to creep in. (or ROAR in!) I have found the serenity prayer to be my friend in times of stress. My brain wants to try to control things and then freak out when I CAN'T control things. The serenity prayer is sort of like a filter for me to just assess what is and is not in my control, and try to just have acceptance for the stuff I can't change.

My own eating was not stellar yesterday as you will see in my report - next post. The good news: NO SUGARCARBIES! Once again I over did it on DH's nuts. This is a habit I just have to focus on and change. 1) Mindless eating and 2) Starting on nuts thinking I can just have a few.

If I focus on my 3 meals a day, then over snacking on nuts or anything else will not be a problem. So.....THREE MEALS A DAY!

TODAY IS A NEW DAY!! We can't change yesterday but we can make a good plan for today and just follow it. I'm determined! I hope you ladies are too.

DG
Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

168, FBG 111, Ketones .3

Paying the price for the nuts. I can't believe I am going to report my calories, etc. because it's really rediculous. But maybe making myself report everything - even when it's bad - will help me somehow. Honesty.

Yesterdays food:
Cals 2995
Fat: 273g
Carbs: 74 (45 net)
Pro: 98
This morning:
Fasting BG: 111 (OUCH!!)
Ketones: .3 (MORE OUCH!)
Weight +2

So what have I learned from this? Snacking in general and nuts in particular DO NOT WORK FOR ME!!! I have zero portion control. Boy the macros add up fast with those nuts! Not to mention O6 oils which adds to the bad. That not only drove calories and weight up, but also enough carbs and protein to knock me out of "nutritional ketosis" (.5 - 5). And the worst part of all - fasting BG way over 100.

WHAT I DID RIGHT! (because this is really important rather than just beating myself up over what went wrong!)
* NO SUGARCARBIES!!! Right now, every day of that is a victory that I mustn't forget.
* Walked 3+ miles

I have mapped out a food plan for today leading to the following:

Cals 1639
Fat: 144
Carbs: 17
Pro: 66

This should move me back in the right direction for ketosis and also better BG readings.

I have the "Slow Burn" book and still haven't read it. I really want to start getting some strength training back in my program. So somewhere between a meeting this morning, homework, and a HIPAA seminar I really want to get going on that. Not sure if I will get wakling in today - we shall see.

DG
Old 08-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Well what a day?walked from 8 to 3. Stuck to plan all day.eat a few nuts..I to over do nuts!!, well I bought old wash tubs,quit,water fountains ,old school slate awesome !!i will start again tommorrow .i think these people come from wv,nc,pa,tn for the day.the venders bring there motor homes and some visitors bring rv tents and vans to sleep in.it unreal

See you guys later port
Old 09-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Hi portcop! The scene you describe SOUNDS unreal! So what do you do with the (sounds like) antiques you buy? My Mom is one to acquire older things in disrepair - often for free. She has a real knack for figuring out something cool to do with it to decorate house or yard.

Jeanie???? Jeanie???? Come out come out wherever you are..

DG
Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

170, FBG 121 (YIKES!!!)

Well, yesterday ended up as a sugarcarby binge fest. Why? I really don't even know why. I wasn't particularly hungry or even "cravey." Getting away from sugarcarbies is really a challenge for me. One thing is for sure - I do WAAAAY better with this when I am trying to stay low carb then when I am not. I also do WAAAAAY better when I keep coming here every day and posting, even when I am not perfect.

What I did right:

Came here today and posted that I binged. I hate even typing those words - *I* *BINGED*. I've got issues around food - no question about that. Being honest is really important I think, so here I am.

I am back on plan today. So far anyway. I didn't waste a ketone strip this morning, but did test BG. 121 .... NOT GOOD. If there was any doubt in my mind about the issues that are starting to turn up in my blood sugar if I don't eat right (which is LC) then this is the proof. I saw such improvement over the last couple of weeks, and one date with sugarcarbies took me right back to that way too high FBG number.

Since this is September 1 - start of a new month - I thought about some goals. I want to keep it simple and just focus on a couple of things that I have a prayer of being successful with for 30 days in a row. Then I can work on some new goals for October.

September goals:

1 - 20G net carbs per day
2 - Read "slow burn" over the next week, and start resistance training next weekend.
3 - Remember that getting my BG under control is THE MOST IMPORTANT RESULT. WAY more important than my weight.

That's all. I will start testing ketones again in about a week, and just play that by ear. For right now, I'm not going to worry about my protein amounts. Only 20g net carbs a day.

DG
Old 09-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

DG
Sorry to hear you had a binge. I haven't been doing so great either, I'll get one good day and then fall off again. I hesitated to post about it because you are doing so well and I didn't want to take away from that. You're right short of some miracle, eating low carb is the best thing we can do for our health and to curb the binge episodes. I have younger siblings and parents with Type 2 diabetes, you would think that would scare me enough in to eating well. It does give me a better understanding though of why my family members struggle to eat well despite their need for insulin and diabetes medicine. I have done well today and am hoping it sticks. I start my job on Tuesday and want to feel good, not bloated and lethargic. Let's do this!

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-01-2012 at 03:23 PM..
Old 09-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie - please don't ever feel like you shouldn't post if you have a bad day or are struggling in any way. That's when we really need to NOT isolate, and reach out to each other for support. Let's make a pact that we will post here every day, no matter what. Are you with me? You too portcop?

I know I can't do this alone.

The BG meter has been a good deterrent, despite the brain fart of yesterday.

I'm happy to be well into the evening on track for today, and I know I'll make it. I have a good plan for tomorrow. How about you guys?

DG
Old 09-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds good I'll post the good, bad and the ugly

My plan is to eat higher fat for a few days to hopefully get me into ketosis quickly, so that I can lose the cravings. I have been hungry today and eating a lot, hopefully tomorrow my appetite will lessen.

DG
What do you think happened that caused you to eat the sugarcarbies? I am not sure what my triggers are but on some level I don't think I really like lc eating all that much, but really there is not a healthy alternative. I am shooting for a 30 day binge free September!!

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-01-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Old 09-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
I got started reading your journal because I was reading up on the ketone sticks. I've been struggling a lot lately, too, and haven't lost weight since May (I think?...been so long I'm not sure).

I've been sidetracked by eating nuts the last couple of weeks. For the first year I was low-carbing, I had braces so I rarely ate nuts. Since June I can crunch anything, and I've had a hard time not going overboard. Peanuts especially seem to trigger cravings and the calories really add up! So if you can go without them, it might help you.

I had a "win" tonight because I bought and julienned a jicama. It's crunchy and you can eat a lot before it does any real damage, carb-wise. The calories are pretty insignificant, too. For the first night in about a month I stuck to my calorie goal.

So I'm also making September a month to rededicate myself to low-carbing, exercising and adding weight training to the mix. (I quit weight training last spring and have gotten really weak since then.) Let's hope September is our turn-around month!
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

jeaniem - we are in this together! Triggers. Hmmm... Similar to when I used to drink alcohol, I think *anything* can be a trigger for me. That said, when I feel stress I always think of food. However that was not really a trigger on Friday.

I believe there is something in my brain chemistry that creates a vulnerability to addictive substances. And I truly believe that sugarcarbies are an addictive substance. For me anyway, they have the classic signs of addiction - tolerance (more is required over time to get the same "high", or, the same "high" is not achieved over time with the same amount of substance) and withdrawal (uncomfortable physical symptoms that are relieved if the substance is taken).

What could it be? I'm thinking something in the seratonin and/or dopamine regulation systems but that is just my guess. For me, sugarcarbies have become an alcohol substitute. The battle feels similar - just without the blackouts LOL! (well, I can laugh now that I don't do that any more)

Have you used anyone's formula to calculate your minimum protein needs? I am learning from all the reading and (at this point) limited personal experimentation that I not only have to raise fat but lower protein (and of course keep carbs low - ie induction level). The formula people seem to be using for nutritional ketosis is .6 - 1 gram protein for every pound of GOAL lean body mass. LBM is the challenging thing to figure out in any accurate way! What I did was multiply my goal weight (150) X 25% fat to get a "goal" body fat level and assume the remander is my lean body mass of 113. Using a couple different calculators and estimating to the best of my ability, that comes out to a reasonable number, I think. I dont' want to go too low on protein but also know I can't be too high either. So my minimum protein is 68g. That is what I'm going to shoot for today and probably for this whole week.

I too am aiming for a binge free September.

MerryKate - thanks for popping in! You are welcome to come post with us and talk about your progress towards your September goals! I used to work out 5 - 6 days a week at Curves and got away from that so I know what you mean about losing strength! The one thing I have hung onto is my walking. None of that this weekend though - it's POURING! Thanks for the jicama tip. Yesterday I cut up some celery with that same idea - the crunch without the high carbs/cals. Good luck!

DG
Old 09-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

168, FBG 113, Ketones .1

I figured I would use this opportunity of coming back from a bad eating day on 8/31 to test my ketones in addition to BG to see just how long the recovery is. I know that my ketones would have been 0 yesteray. .1 today after an on plan day, so I definitely confirm that one day back on plan does not get me back where I left off. (.5 - 5 is the nutritional ketosis range) I was at 1.7 on the morning of 8/31. I want to see how many days it takes to get back there. Then I will have a stark reminder of the number of days I pay a price with high FBG and low ketones for "one moment of fun" with sugarcarbies. (which isn't fun anyway)

Breakfast today will be my usual - egg, bacon, coconut oil.

I am supposed to go to a picnic with a friend today. I know I will NOT be going to any picnic in this rain! I hope to stay home and study & can tomatoes, but need to see what my friend wants to do. I am keeping her company while her husband is out of town. So...will have to play lunch by ear for now. Whatever we do, I will make the best possible choice of limited protein and whatever fat is to be had. Or eat before we go if it's not a lunch thing ().

Dinner will be at home and will depend on lunch. I will be making pork chops and zucchini for Mr. Doggy. I will round out my day with whatever amounts of pro/carb/fat are appropriate.

OK. Off to say hi on the NK thread and then make breakfast and get the tomato canning under way.

DG
Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #79
Blabbermouth!!!

Merrykate.

DG
I don't really have a problem losing, so I am not sure that I want to worry about protein amounts at this point. I tend to feel more sated with high protein vs. high fat now, I originally met my goal weight eating high fat and moderate protein and very low carb, but things changed and high fat suddenly made me feel nauseous and I often got heartburn. It worked great for 6 months, I never went off plan and hunger was normal. I wish I could get it to work again, but I have tried and I end up just feeling bad. I really don't like low carb all that much anymore as I sleep poorly and often wake at night with a feeling of panic and have nightmares. I do get more energy and have a better mental outlook along with the lower blood sugar readings though, so I keep trying. Honesty though I have come to realize that low carb does not have much effect on my disordered eating.

Have you heard of (Contrave), it is a combination of sustained release naltrexone and bupropion (wellbutrin)? This was mentioned on another thread regarding binge eating.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-02-2012 at 12:01 PM..
Old 09-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jeanie - I'm subscribed to that other thread from way back when, so when I got the e-mail notification about the new posts I did read it! I saw the mention of Contrave - have not heard of it previously. I am familiar with Naltrexone - not from personal experience but just from its use treating various addictions. I know people who have taken it with no ill effects at the typical recommended doses. Same goes for Wellbutrin - have not taken it myself but know many who seem to use it with no problems.

Are you thinking about talking to your doctor?

DG
Old 09-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

I already take Wellbutrin. I don't know if I would consider Contrave or not, it seems so many drugs are pulled from the market after finding that they may cause serious health problems. Of course binge eating isn't healthy either, so that would be a consideration.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Hey DG! I'm lurking on your journal.

I posted the information about Contrave. It hasn't yet been approved by the FDA and they're currently doing trials to check for cardiovascular risk. I have been interested in it ever since I learned about the trials. When I was in my searching mode earlier this year I thought about asking my doctor to prescribe the combo for me--but I chickened out and then started losing with NK so I didn't think I needed it any more.
mom2zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I already take Wellbutrin. I don't know if I would consider Contrave or not, it seems so many drugs are pulled from the market after finding that they may cause serious health problems. Of course binge eating isn't healthy either, so that would be a consideration.
I wonder if Naltrexone is an option to go with the Wellbutrin you already take? I'm going from memory so might be wrong, but I think Natrexone has been around for a while - long enough to have decent data about side effects, etc. Just depends on whether a pharmaceutical option is something you think worth considering. I am personally hoping to find a nutritional solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hey DG! I'm lurking on your journal.

I posted the information about Contrave. It hasn't yet been approved by the FDA and they're currently doing trials to check for cardiovascular risk. I have been interested in it ever since I learned about the trials. When I was in my searching mode earlier this year I thought about asking my doctor to prescribe the combo for me--but I chickened out and then started losing with NK so I didn't think I needed it any more.
Kristn you are welcome to lurk and unlulrk any time!!! I am so glad NK is working for you and it's giving me hope!!!

Don't have time for a big post today as I just agreed to help a friend with a problem today. So gotta run.... I am alive, well, and low carb!

DG
Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi DG
Glad to hear you are doing well! I am doing well have been on plan for 3 days without cheating or binging. Job starts tomorrow! How's school going? Check in when you have time.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jeanie! Good luck on your first day on the job! I'm behind on school work so today will be busy. I have a case presentation tomorrow night. CONGRATS ON 3 DAYS OP!!!

Yesterday I got to be reminded of why I'm glad I no longer drink alcohol. I ended up spending most of the day helping a friend who has relapsed and is really struggling. Most people think of alcoholics as dirty old men living under bridges. This woman is a very successful professional. She lives in a gorgeous home on a lake and drives a Mercedes. She was sober for many years but about a year ago, decided maybe drinking would work now. She has struggled ever since. She has lost custody of her children, is nearing the end of a leave of absence from her job, (and she is in no condition yet to return to work) and through a series of really bad decisions, ended up spending Sunday night in jail. I truly hope this horrible experience was enough to help her see that what she is doing to try to get well isn't working - time to do something different. Each time I'm involved in this sort of thing, I am reminded that could be me. That is where my own life was headed at one point.

I am sort of glad I've had a little bit of slip sliding in the last couple of weeks because it has REALLY given me a harsh eye opener in the blood sugar department. There is no question I am either "Metabolic Syndrome" or "Pre-diabetic" at this point. Low carb is the only way out.

Yesterday was OP and I have a good plan for today.

Portcop? Where you been?

DG
Old 09-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Dear diary, I'm having a good eating day today and need to keep it up!!! Might get the ketone meter back out tomorrow morning. It really does take a few days to get back into ketosis after a high carb meal I have found. Dr. A (and others) aren't kidding about that!!! So haven't wasted strips the last couple of days.

Mean time...

I've been reading a book called "Diabetes Miracle" that I heard about in the Diabetes section here at LCF. The reviews, etc. made me think I would learn more about metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes and diabetes from reading it. I think it was well worth the $10 for me. (kindle version) She has a way of explaining some of this metabolic stuff that really helps me understand it better. She also suggested some meal timing things that for me with blood sugar going up, and prior evidence that I think was insulin resistance, I am following. I'm not doing her more general low carb diet - am going for NK level protein, carbs and fats. But I'm wondering if her meal timing suggestsion will help the rabid hunger I often get. We'll see.

Basically, never go more than 5 hours without eating due to liver release of glucose if you don't, which excacerbates insulin problems. Makes logical sense - I would welcome info to the contrary if anyone reads this! At any rate, can't hurt to divide my food up that way and just see how the BG readings go. She also advocates a before bed snack (and even a middle of the night snack if you wake up) for this same reason. That would supposedly help with the dawn phenomenon. (high fasting BG due to liver release of glucose to get the day going)

I wonder how this all changes if I'm truly keto adapted? Hmmmm....so much frickin' science to learn.

I'll tell you what - this BG stuff has sure kept me out of the carbage the last couple of days.

DG
Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

DG
You are such a good friend to help her out like that. My son I told you about will be eligible for alcohol/drug rehab soon and my biggest fear is that despite what he has been through he will relapse and end up back in jail in no time. Ultimately I know it his choice, but I feel some guilt because I think he is susceptible due to the side of my family that includes many alcoholics and some drug addicts as well.

Okay, I am here to report the "ugly" as I promised. After 3 stellar on plan days I promptly stopped at the store after a stressful first day at work and a 2.5 hour wait at the Dr.'s office and spent about $10 on junk food. I so want to give up, but I can't.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie, do not give up! 3 days on plan and 1 day off is way better than 4 days off plan.

Do you have any ideas about what went wrong? Something you might try to do differently?

Please do not feel guilty about your son. ALL of us are dealt a genetic hand to deal with that has some good cards and some not so good cards. We each have to take responsibility to manage the hand we are dealt. I certainly don't want my Mom and Dad feeling bad about my blood sugar issues that are likely to be made possible by genetics. I am just going to learn to play with the hand I am dealt. Your son can do it too.

DG
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

Well it was a mentally and physically taxing day. Half way through our preschool class almost every single child started crying and it was hard to give them all the comfort they needed. I expected that and just felt a little tired when I left work, but I had to then go for a work physical which ended up taking 2.5 hours. The physical really stressed and bummed me out because for the first time I feared I might not pass. My eyes just barely passed and I have some hearing loss in my left ear along with tendonitis in my shoulder and then the Dr. said that I appeared dehydrated and showed ketones in my urine. She asked if I was diabetic, I told her no and she said I may want to see my family Dr. and check things out. My BP was 125/82, which I prefer to be lower. So anyway I can't blame all that on my binge, as I am just as prone to binge when everything is just fine and dandy. What I should have done was to be thankful that I did pass and work on the things I can change.

I have been watching too many of those Intervention shows on TV. It is rare to see an addict who stays clean.

Last edited by jeaniem; 09-04-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

((Jeanie)) I am sorry to hear about your stressful day. I love this part of what you said:
Quote:
What I should have done was to be thankful that I did pass and work on the things I can change.
Having that sort of approach is not always easy - don't I know it!!! But the more I work at it the easier it is getting. AA has been a blessing helping me learn tools and approaches like that. Life isn't perfect but it keeps getting better. Yours will too if you keep working at the mental part of it!

Of course you have ketones in your urine - you are on a low carb diet! Did you ask what the ketone level was? Another thing I have gone **** with is ALWAYS insisting that I leave the docs office with a copy of my labs. That is my medical information and I "own" it, and am legally entitled to it. My regular doctor is very cool about it - she always has a copy ready for me before I even show up for my appointments. I did have another doctor a couple years ago try to force me into another (paid) appointment before I could have a copy of my labs. I stood in their lobby explaining my rights, and kept "turning up the volume" on my explaining of my rights until they gave me my copy, LOL! There is a huge difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. I don't know if they also checked your blood sugar but I don't think you would have super high ketones without an obvious blood sugar problem? (If I understand Dr. Atkins, etc.)

If the intervention shows are leaving you with a grim feeling about your son's potential to get and stay sober, then maybe that isn't the best stuff to be feeding into your brain? I cut way back on watching political news shows because I just found myself getting frustrated over....what? Other people's stuff that I can't control! Have you ever gone to any Open AA speaker meetings? I wonder if listening to some people who have found sobriety would give you more hope, and maybe good ideas about how you can best support your son? Maybe you've already been there done that. But if you haven't and have any questions, I would be happy to share what I know about it. THERE IS HOPE!!!!

Shout out to portcop and anyone else reading this blah blah blah!!!!

DG

Last edited by Doggygirl; 09-05-2012 at 05:36 AM..