Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #331
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
Hi Jeanie! Like you, I am still on the path of self-discovery as it relates to food and my body. Congratulations on those good days, and also on the discovery of MCT oil and it's value in your plan!! Not *wanting* carbs is what I have decided I really want to strive for, so can appreciate the value of your experience!!!

I think I have really been struggling within myself over the whole carb issue. i absolutely believe in food (for me, CARB) addiction. As a person who has battled (and finally persevered over) addictions to alcohol and nicotine, I know how powerful the "stinkin' thinkin" or "junkie thinking" can be.

My lower brain lies to my upper brain. That is all. All kinds of lies to keep the carb train rolling down the tracks.

I think another truth from me that I have been trying really hard not to accept is that artificial sweeteners REALLY REALLY mess with me. Not only mentally but probably physically too - potentially triggering insulin response. I think I am showing classic signs of insulin resistance - so articificial sweets are working against me physically and mentally. SF jello, fat bombs, Quest bars - those are my big offenders.

FAT WILL MAKE ME FAT IN THE PRESENCE OF TOO MANY CARBS.

Now THERE is a truth that is obvious. When I have whined and moaned that "low carb isn't working for me any more" I have been unwilling to really take a close, hard look at this truth. And what is "too many carbs" for *me* has changed over time as my metabolism has gotten more broken. How do I know my metabolism is more broken? My BG meter tells me so.

I want so badly to just cling to some carbs for dear life. That's my junkie brain talkin'. I want the "high" from carbs. If I can't have a back of oreos, then my junkie brain will take some SF ketchup, a MIM and a Quest bar, thank you very much. Then as a result of that stuff...I'm stalking in the kitchen like a predator.

A part of me is clinging to my carbs and sweets. Another part of me wants SO DESPARATELY to be free of the obsession with food. And free of the hunger that was with me constantly on WW. I tried hard to justify/overlook the hunger in order to cling to my carbs on WW.

Satiety??? What's that?? My hunger/satiety signals feel broken to me. Well, that's probably the insulin. I've read that all before, but now I'm reading it all again with a fresh pair of eyes. I really do believe that satiety is not possible unless I can get my insulin down. Why do I think I am insulin resistant, hence constantly running around with too much insulin in my blood? Here's my evidence, since I haven't had insulin testing (yet):

1. HUNGER
2. I know my pancreas is producing enough insulin - I have a strong enough secondary insulin response to send my BG lower than where I started pretty quickly after a low carb meal. But my baseline BG level stays 10 - 20 points higher than it should.
3. My brain LIGHTS UP at the idea of sweets - even artificial ones. I'm sure this is causing that initial insulin release - and I'm insulin resistant so the artificial sweets are contributing to the viscious cycle.
4. I gain weight SO easily and it's harder and harder as the years go by to take it off.

So. What does all this mean? I think I need to reconsider an NK type approach. I started re-reading Phinney/Volek "Art and Science of Low Carb Living." The Performance book is the "cliff note" version but the Art/Science Book IMO addresses the type of metabolic disturbances I have so that's where my nose needs to be.

I think the fats are going to be an important part of this equation to escape hunger, however if I don't figure out how low my carb levels need to stay, then it's an equation for weight gain.

I've been doing some reading at a "Zero Carb" forum. Very informative stuff, presented in a "tough love" way that I probably need to hear right now. As an example, the TRUTH about the sweeteners and what they are REALLY doing to me - preventing me from getting where I want to go. No hunger and no cravings. Maybe even some weight loss. But for now I'm going to focus on the eating plan that will eliminate hunger and cravings. I'm so ready to be done with that. Maybe I'll put the scale away for a month. Gotta think more about that.

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

I guess I should also say that my BG has pretty much stabilized (it seems) based on the dietary improvements I've made thus far. No sugarcarby epic binges, lowish carbs (most days 50 - 100), calories too high for this carb level, so weight is bouncing but creeping up. (too much fat for the carb level)

I do think I will always have to be mindful of calorie level. I am just hoping that maybe I can achieve an energy balance that allows weight loss without so much hunger and especially CRAVINGS. Hunger was an issue on WW. (despite me trying to cling to the plan due to loving all the food, fruit, the fantasy of eating whatever I wanted with portion control). The way I've been eating lately, true hunger has not been such a huge issue because I've been eating a lot more. However CRAVINGS are still an issue.

I want to get rid of both the hunger AND the cravings.

OK - for just a brief mention of some other stuff.....

Figure Skating season is underway and the first Grand Prix event is this weekend - Skate America. WHEE!!!!!!

DG
Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
I love reading your posts, I know you'll find that good place with food and bg. I love figure skating, have a good weekend!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #334
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
DG
Interested in maybe doing a Atkins 72 plan together. It is near zero carb and we can certainly make it higher fat?

Just a thought. I think I am doing myself no favors by trying to wing it on my own without some sort of plan or structure. I seem to be taking bits and pieces of different plans/ideas which appears to not be working.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
I love figure skating, have a good weekend!
Hi Scalestepper! If you want to watch Skate America tonight it's being televised on Universal Sports if you get that. If not, today only Icenetwork.com is offering their internet streaming of the event for free! Tonight will be pairs free skate and mens free skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
DG
Interested in maybe doing a Atkins 72 plan together. It is near zero carb and we can certainly make it higher fat?

Just a thought. I think I am doing myself no favors by trying to wing it on my own without some sort of plan or structure. I seem to be taking bits and pieces of different plans/ideas which appears to not be working.
YOU ARE ON!!!! I am so glad you suggested that! I too need some structure and a very low carb plan. Yes I will be to give up some foods that are frankly, like crack for me. Do I want my health and my sanity? Or do I want my carbs? That's really what it boils down to. Weight isn't even the biggest health factor for me any more. BG is.

I'm in for tomorrow morning. I'm going to plan my meals tonight. I have some fridge cleaning to do - some stuff to get rid of. But I've got eggs, meat and fat so I've got plenty of groceries to get started, LOL!

DG
Old 10-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

I've even got the book!
Old 10-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #337
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
I've even got the book!
Me too! I was about to order it online then came across it in a cookbook drawer

I need to do a little shopping too, but can get through a day or two with what I have on hand. Induction is only 1 week and you get to add in what you want in week 2, so don't throw out too much food!

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-20-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

I'm going to do some reading between figure skating events tonight. I'm excited Jeanie. And I also feel relieved to be going to a structured PLAN - and one that is really very straight forward. Not a whole bunch of options that are land mines for me.

WE CAN DO THIS. I am seriously so tired of being ruled by cravings and obsessions with food. I would LOVE to get to a point where I don't even think about it unless I am truly physically hungry. I have a feeling to get to that place it will be pretty much meat and fat for me. I'm OK with that if I can get to the goal post.

<-----changed that to Atkins '72. Feels like I'm making the committment.

DG

Last edited by Doggygirl; 10-20-2012 at 04:18 PM..
Old 10-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #339
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes we can do this! Off to read my book.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie - you ready to rock?? I'M EXCITED! I feel like I have purpose and direction with my food today.

Just had breakfast:
Egg / Egg White / Sausage scrambled in butter.
Coffee.

Got just a small start on the Atkins '72 book last night. I love the FIRE that Dr. Atkins had at this time of his writing! I think he was more PC in his later books it seems?? Anyway...interesting how the "induction" rules changed over time as well. I think these older rules will serve me better - more carb restriction which should help me get transitioned to ketosis.

I'm doin' it by the book for now. I'm not even going to try to eliminate artificial sweeteners completely right now. (even though I think eventually I will be better off doing this) I'm just going to abide by the limitations of the '72 food list.

I'm going to change my sig line to tracking weekly weight and maybe weekly average FBG just so I have that in front of me. I might track my weekly weight as a weekly average too - just to smooth out the spikes and dips and get a true picture of what's going on. (my wonderful beloved Life Form calculates all that for me!!)

I am going to the gym next to get in 20 minutes of aerobic exercise. I need to always remember that exercise helps with insulin resistance. I think I need that extra boost.

DG
Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #341
Big Yapper!!!!

Okay today I had breakfast (which I rarely eat), and am hoping that if I eat enough throughout the day that I will not want to snack after dinner. I had oopsie rolls, 2 sausage patties and an egg fried in butter. I do not feel full and don't know if I should eat more or wait a bit to see if the hunger passes. I think this is where I sometimes still "diet" on low carb by not totally filling up?? It just seems that amount of food should fill me up??

I like the tone and simplicity of the 72 plan as well. Too much counting and obsessing makes me feel resentful and irritated.

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-21-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

Jeanie, I was reading on a Zero Carb forum yesterday and they REALLY talk about the importance of filling up the tank when we eat a meal, and then letting hunger be the guide to when the next meal should be. Truly letting the body be the guide.

Of course if I am eating carbs I would weight 400 pounds if I let my body be my guide! But with protein, fat, and NO SWEETENERS I think I am in a better position to fuel according to hunger. We shall see. I know it will take some practice.

I am planning to eat something when I'm hungry. Probably not snacky snacky type eating, but an actual meal when I am hungry and try to fill the tank. Some days DH and I eat dinner together but most days we don't, so within the constraints of my school schedule I hope to do more eating when hungry - until full - then stop, and wait until hungry again.

I'm sure I will experience more hunger over the first few days. I was not "high carb" up to this point, but more carbs than I will be eating now. So I'm sure my carb addicted body will be screaming for them! Oh well - all my carb addicted body is going to get is mainly protein and fat! So there!

DG
Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #343
Big Yapper!!!!

DG
Did you feel full after your breakfast? I have since eaten 3 more sausage patties, a cheesestick and a salad w/oil & vinegar dressing. I am going to go with it for a few days and hopefully the hunger will decrease.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jeanie! I was OK between breakfast and lunch, but I'm feeling hungry again shortly after lunch. I'm going to drink some water and give it another 1/2 hour or so and if I'm still feeling hungry, I'm going to have some protein and fat.

Like I said, I wasn't HIGH carb recently but as you know I was dipping into the nuts, quest bars, etc. Too much "sweet" and too much carbs by the time one adds it all up. So I am fully expecting my body to be for a few days! I'm going to eat when I'm hungry but I am NOT going to feed that between meal hunger with anything sweet tasting. No fat bombs, no SF jello, etc. Meat and fat - that is my only between meal snack! That is the only way I can know that I am feeding hunger and not emotion. Ketosis here we come....

DG
Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #345
Big Yapper!!!!

Finally feeling full after snacking on pork rinds and eating enough dinner to actually feel full. Dr. A says not too worry about eating too much occasionally as it should balance itself out the next day. He also believes cravings are physiological not psychological - I sure hope he is right about that! Squash those cravings with protein! Fat doesn't fill me up as well as protein, so I am not going to worry about the amounts for now. I used to post at zero carb and it is definitely tough love over there. I did zero carb for a while but got bored eating only meat. I will say though that I think that is the only time I have ever been in deep ketosis. I had terrible breath, stinky pee, and felt very dizzy. I do wonder why I don't seem to feel like I am in ketosis even though my sticks are turning purple??

Hope you had a kick butt day DG!!

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-21-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jeanie! Here we are on Day 2!

Big shout out to portcop, scalestepper and christine and whoever else might happen along.

Jeanie - I also felt hungry last night and remembered I had some pork rinds! That did the trick. I didn't make much progress reading Atkins '72 yesterday. I have homework to get done first today but then hope to read more.

I was sitting here thinking about Dr. A's comment about cravings. I often wonder where we really draw the line in Western medicine between "physical" and "psychological." To me, what we tend to think of as psychological function DOES seem physical - it all has to do with the brain and all the neurochemicals. Yes, there are electrical charges involved too but I think the same is true about other functions we think of as "physical." (i.e. pain) I've read somewhere that in Eastern medicine there is not such a big distinction between "physical" and "psychological." It's all one system. That would sure make sense if my thoughts about food (considered psychological in these parts) are triggered by blood sugar/insulin activity (considered physical in these parts). I think it's all connected.

I also cannot "think" my way out of food cravings. "Intuitive eating" hasn't worked for me for more than 2 days in a row if I try to "intuitively eat" candy.
So I guess I agree with Dr. A.

Just had breakfast. Scrambled eggs with sausage in butter. Yum. I feel very satisfied.

Jeanie, another comment you made really stood out to me and I've been sitting here thinking about that one too. The fact that eating only meat became really boring. I've been contemplating that as well. And then I think "what does it matter if my food is boring?" I really think part of my problem is that I look to food for entertainment, comfort, etc. I think I will do better in the long haul if I can focus on finding other things for comfort, entertainment, etc. outside of the kitchen. Whatever comfort etc. I find in food is SO short lived. I may not remember a hot bath by tomorrow either, but at least a hot bath won't make me fatter LOL!

I'm going to try to work on acceptance of boring food and really try to make a point of figuring out other stuff for comfort/fun. When I think back to my prior success on LC, and then subsequent fall off the wagon, I think the fall all started with TOO much experimentation with substitutes, etc. Looking for fun, variety, etc. in the kitchen. I'm not knocking that approach for others. I'm just saying that maybe for me, I need to work on a different long term strategy.

Wow - how is all THAT for some early morning musings?????? Jeanie - what you said was very thought provoking and I thank you for that! All this thinking has got to be burning some azz fat, don't you think????

DG
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #347
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Doggygirl- I don't want to intrude, but I think you're really on to something with your 'food as entertainment' comments. I do best when I am as 'distanced' from food as possible--i.e., eating simple, whole foods, mainly meat, fish, and eggs, and making no 'recipes' whatsoever.

The minute I decide to make myself a coconut flour muffin as a Sunday morning treat--I start the engine to overeating!

Fortunately, I love eating simply, and I have to learn to handle the occasional 'indulgence' without going overboard.

But what's life without challenges?
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #348
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Doggygirl- I don't want to intrude, but I think you're really on to something with your 'food as entertainment' comments. I do best when I am as 'distanced' from food as possible--i.e., eating simple, whole foods, mainly meat, fish, and eggs, and making no 'recipes' whatsoever.

The minute I decide to make myself a coconut flour muffin as a Sunday morning treat--I start the engine to overeating!

Fortunately, I love eating simply, and I have to learn to handle the occasional 'indulgence' without going overboard.

But what's life without challenges?
Leo!!!!!! I LOVE when you stop by and offer your wisdom! Please do that any time and you are NOT intruding! I so admire what you have accomplished with your weight loss certainly, but more importantly your weight MAINTENANCE. Lordy - that is the hardest part for sure - at least in my world.

I appreciate your affirmation that getting away from using food in "exciting" and "fun" ways has been an important part of your success. When I got to goal weight before I really did get obsessed with cooking, recipes, etc. I think I really am going to make a concerted effort to keep things VERY simple and see how that goes. If you see me talking about making a fake low carb spaghetti chocolate potato banana mousse cake, please step in and smack me, OK?

DG
Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #349
Big Yapper!!!!

Day 2 feels good to be in control

I am hoping the cravings go away and never rear their ugly head again. I know it will take some effort on my part, but am hoping that effort will become more natural and not all consuming. I can not "think" my way out of food cravings either. I have tried all sorts of distractions and even have a stack of cards that have all the reasons I should not binge/overeat written on them that I will read for motivation/focus and often still end up stuffing myself.

Great points on the food for comfort and entertainment-so short lived!
I think all meat can help, but for me it became boring and got to the point where the sight of any food made me feel sick. I remember at one point only taking a couple of bites of steak per day for about a week. It might be useful to help get me to the no craving zone though. I'll think about that.

Today has been a little trickier food wise. I woke up feeling blech form hot flashes waking me repeatedly and had zero appetite. I just had coffee with lots of cream and then had a cheese stick mid- morning so I could go straight to the gym from work at noon. Dr. A doesn't seem to push breakfast in the 72 book and said some of his patients eat only two meals- just follow hunger.

I wish I had kept track of what worked for me when I had the 6 months binge free back in 2010. Now I am just relying on memory, but I do think maybe those zero carb meat only days helped get me into deep ketosis. I think Dr. A hints at this when he days it is okay to just have a dill pickle if you don't want the salad.

Hope you are doing well DG!

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-22-2012 at 01:25 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jeanie! Glad you are doing well today. Same here! It's going to be an OP day for sure. Had some urges (not really cravings though) while I was out and about this afternoon. Just goofy thoughts such as "you're only on day 2. You could easily start over tommorrow..." I basically said....

SHUUUUUT UUUUUUP!!!!!

I am really so sick of that viscious cycle, all I could then think about was how nice it will be when those thoughts die down - which I really believe they will. I've gone way over a year before without a single cheat. I was not able to accomplish that fighting cravings all the time and using sheer willpower. I don't HAVE that much will power. Not even close.

We have to just keep the faith and keep following this plan, right?

I'm thinking that breakfast might be less important when one is running on fat instead of carbs? I'm guessing that ones metabolic state might have an effect too on whether 1 or two meals a day will work well. Since I know my BG isn't normal, I don't think I'm going to try skipping breakfast just yet. But plenty of people do so I know it won't kill ya! What I have to really watch out for is skipping breakfast and then being overcome with urges I'm powerless to fight in the afternoon.

I am determined.

DG
Old 10-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #351
Big Yapper!!!!

Just got a message from my Dr.'s office that they had called in a lexapro script to the pharmacy. When I was feeling really low and reading about the possible serotonin and binging connection I had called and ask for a change to the lexapro from the wellbutrin I normally take. I don't know I am now scared to try it!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #352
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
OK - first: some other stuff.

[B] [B ]Scale down this morning. BG still in it's usual range. Sigh. Post prandials were good yesterday though. I realize I need to give this more than 2 days to see the impact on my BG.

I FEEL good. Nothing wierd going on in my digestive tract which feels awesome. I forget how much of that I put up with to "have my _____" (insert carb here). The last two days I've been at 9g carbs and those carbs are from eggs and dairy. (I am currently taking a pass on the A'72 salads)

I'm sure glad dairy seems to agree with me! Mr. Doggy can't tolerate any - not even butter - so cooking is limited. I'm thinking that's a good thing - as stated yesterday, I need to get out of the kitchen and find something else to do anyway!

I'm up for another day of this!! How 'bout it Jeanie!

Scalestepper, portcop, Leo, others

I really like when the scale goes down. I need to remember this feeling when an urge comes.

DG
I was going to edit to say WTG on the scale being down and bg being good.
Your carbs looks good, I feel best with about that amount.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #353
Major LCF Poster!

Stepper - thanks for the kudos about the scale!

Jeanie - I too have got a case of the hungries today. I thought about it and just said "OK" and I ate a couple fat bombs. Will eat a couple more before I either go hungry or binge. For now I'm going to listen to my appetite and also listen to Dr. A '72 and eat when hungry.

My eating history is very colorful. I started with anorexia as a teenager, gained a bunch of weight in college (my top college weight was about my weight right now, interestingly enough).

Things normalized some after that. I lost the college pudge once I got away from all the cafeteria nonsense and got more active in my life. I stayed in the 150's through my post college 20s and my 30s. My weight would go up and down in about a 10 pound range but stayed pretty stable. I didn't have very good eating (or drinking) habits through these years. I skipped a LOT of meals. I over ate at times. One thing I didn't eat much of was sugar. (I think I was drinking my sugar in the form of alcohol) In my early 40's is when my weight exploded. I think a combo of poor diet, too much alcohol and hormonal changes. I think I was 45 the first time I did Atkins and lost about 50 pounds. Then after regaining all of it, I did it again at 50 - this time without the alcohol. Now I'm fighting the regain before ALL of it is back!

DG
Old 10-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #354
Big Yapper!!!!

I am reading 72 and am trying to believe this is going to work while all eating all this food??? I see you have lost a couple of pounds, I haven't lost anything yet, which is surprising I usually lose a lot of water weight in induction.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #355
Senior LCF member

DG-
Just a couple of comments based on your posts--and my own experience.

1) You should attempt to find what Dr. Atkins called the 'Critical Carb Level,' that's the level at which appetite roars back, and you begin to gain. I am so carb sensitive, that my own level is about 25g. Even trying to add something as 'harmless' as broccoli or spinach (above 25g) will send me spiralling into overeating. However, my body seems to thrive on very low carb, so I'm adjusting. The CCL is individual to each person, so someone could lose well on 50g carbs daily, whereas I would gain on that amount. That's why everyone should find their own CCL.

2) Anything with a sweet taste (including all artificial sweeteners) will stimulate my appetite and usually result in overeating. I have a strong 'sweet tooth,' and I've learned from experience that only total abstinence works to eliminate any cravings for sweets. I've tried to fool myself that I could manage something like the Quest bars, but they drive me into binge mode almost immediately. I've bought them 3-4 times, so reluctant was I to abandon them.

3) Beware of the NK craze because although my own preference for lower fat may be unique to me, I've read that 'older' women often don't do well with high fat diets--it's hormone related, but don't ask me how it works. I find that focusing on cutting carbs and getting my minimum protein requirement in results in very few calories left to indulge in too much fat--which is highly caloric. In fact, when I find myself gaining a few pounds, I go to a Stillman's type plan of eliminating most fat and just eating protein. That works best for me.

I am sharing this info, not because my own experience is applicable to you, but simply to show how self-knowledge is really important to effective weight management.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #356
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Hi jean and DG I'm glad you guys are doing Atkins 72 that's pretty much what I'm doing,except adding lots of fat.if you eat lots of fats in morning it really helps thru out the day lots.i use lots of coconut oil just like a diet pill to me,I put 1 tbs of co and 1 tbs hwc and 1 pack stevia in my coffee I have 2 thru out the day,cook my eggs in butter,pour. Butter or co over my meet,unreal it works I'm down to 169.4 was at 205 in July,I feel good....DG I had that same brain thing about food,but when I started this way of eating its almost gone,maybe once ever other week that old thought comes but I have control now I get me some co,and it goes away..
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Leo...I'm 55 years old and doing the NV,,it's working great for me.im losing a average of 1.5 lbs a week now.not bad for a older person..I do think each of us are different so we have to do what our body's will let us..
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all! Leo - your words mean a lot to me. I think my own CCL, especially as it pertains to having cravings or not, is very low. I can "lose" temporarily on higher carbs, but I can't do it without hunger. And we all know how futile it can be to try to fight that.

What makes sense to me rather than looking so much at percentages of carb, fat, protein is looking at amounts. How much protein do I need? That is X of my daily target. How many carbs can I tolerate? That is Y of my daily target. Then the rest is fat. I think fat needs to be my "variable" after my other base lines are met.

A girl on one of the diabetes forums had the experience that Leo described - NK just not working for her for weight loss, despite ketosis. She didn't gain weight, but wasn't really losing either. She said she is thinking about experimenting with keeping fat in that higher range 4 days a week (not expecting loss, but not experiencing any hunger) and then lower fat for 3 days a week with the expectation that some hunger might set in, but hopefully some weight loss will too. And a bit of hunger might feel more manageable for a few days.

Anyway, I just thought that might be an interesting way to approach things. Sort of JUDD like in terms of mixing things up - just using a slightly different approach. Leo - that seems a bit in keeping with doing something like Stillmans or Dukan in an intermittent basis.

Anyway...I'm sticking with Atkins '72 for now but just filing that away as something to consider and keep an eye on.

Portcop - I'm so glad NK is working well for you! Boy wouldn't this all be a whole lot easier if one program worked well for everyone. We need to find that program and save the world from the obesity epidemic LOL!

Leo I also totally relate on the sweets. It is so hard to admit honestly what a huge trigger they are. But they are for me too. I've been clinging to my SF jello this week but I know I will really be better off mentally if I can just let all of it go. I forgot to take my usual club soda to school last night and ended up getting a diet soda out of the machine. That was a mistake! I'm just tired of the mental battle.

Jeanie, I'm thinking we just need to stick with this and keep eating when hungry until we get firmly in ketosis and stabilized. At least that's what I'm thinking. I know the pounds that left me the first few days are most if not all water anyway. So that all depends on how much water we're carrying. I really want to focus first on getting rid of cravings and thoughts of food and hunger. Then I can focus on bringing calories down if needed (which I'm pretty sure will be needed, LOL) What are your thoughts on this stuff?

DG
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #359
Senior LCF member

portcop-
I'm glad that's working for you, and it just shows how different we all are in terms of how our bodies respond to foods. I'm really convinced that the key to weight management is finding out what works for us personally.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #360
Senior LCF Member

DG, Jeanie, portcop and Leo41!

DG I also had the hungries yesterday after lunch. I added in a new veggie, summer squash which only had 2 net carbs per 4 oz. I'll try it again to see it that actually caused it or if it was going to happen anyway.

Jeanie, I'm glad there are no binges and portcop, glad your woe is is working for you.

Leo, I enjoy reading your shares, I am trying to learn all I can and it's sure working for you.

I hope everyone has a good day!