Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Hi to all and thanks DG for the confidence and support you give me to stay on the wagon.

I know all of you guys are vets at this woe and I am learning it. I find I don't have much wiggle room with carbs before the hunger/appetite surfaces which would invite a binge.

I think I can relate to this discussion, i.e, I have been thinking of making a tomato jam since yesterday, wondering it it would be a problem for me. I have danced around it, how I would make it, keeping it focused...so this morning I did begin to cook it. I even added bacon grease to balance out the carb/fat ratio for me. I may have to throw it out, I don't know, the thing is, it's not important at all. The smart thing to do would have forgotten about it, like when in doubt...don't. I know this is trivial, it's how things get started with me and then having to pull back in to low low carbs for peace with food.

I hope everyone has a good day and keep on feeding us the good info.
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.2/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Not buying/having the food in the house does not stop me from binging. The thoughts/cravings will drive me insane and cause such restlessness and unease that I will eventually go out and buy the foods.
At least it is a barrier that by default, causes a larger time lapse. What I am trying to do is use that time to get my mental channel changed before its too late!

For me, I am finding that the longer I am true to LC, the less intense and fewer urges for a full on binge I am having. Well, and the visions of my BG meter with a scary reading are helping too. It sure took me a while to get comfortable with low carb again though. OMG was I jonesing for carbs even a week or 10 days ago!!! I hope this sticks. It's one day at a time for sure.

Quote:
DG- I am first going to give a high protein breakfast w/minimal carbs one more shot before I try the Big Breakfast book plan, as it is higher in carbs.
Since reading that business about protein on the Bernstein board, I've been targeting 30g per meal (including b-fast of course). I seem to be doing pretty well hunger and otherwise. Keep us posted, OK? How high protein are you thinking of going? (i.e. IIRC on the Leptin Reset people went as high as 75g)

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianajlane
WOE: new to HFLC, but long-time LC-er
Start Date: 10/1/2012
Hi DG

I thought I would check out your journal too
dianajlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #304
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.8/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
At least it is a barrier that by default, causes a larger time lapse. What I am trying to do is use that time to get my mental channel changed before its too late! You will no doubt succeed, your obviously determined and have the self discipline.

For me, I am finding that the longer I am true to LC, the less intense and fewer urges for a full on binge I am having. Well, and the visions of my BG meter with a scary reading are helping too. It sure took me a while to get comfortable with low carb again though. OMG was I jonesing for carbs even a week or 10 days ago!!! I hope this sticks. It's one day at a time for sure.
You would think the BG readings in the high 150's I had recently would scare me straight.

Since reading that business about protein on the Bernstein board, I've been targeting 30g per meal (including b-fast of course). I seem to be doing pretty well hunger and otherwise. Keep us posted, OK? How high protein are you thinking of going? (i.e. IIRC on the Leptin Reset people went as high as 75g) I though Bernstein advocated low-er protein? I am not doing the reset too many rules for me-just want to try the high protein breakfast to see if it curbs the night eating.

DG

How did you feel eating Dukan style?

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-14-2012 at 03:01 PM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Reporting back in to say the tomato jam wasn't a problem, it was good, I kept it savory.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Diana! Glad you stopped in! As you can probably tell I am still flopping around figuring out exactly what LC plan I am following LOL! I envy you your clear decision on a plan, and your willingness to stay true to it day after day. I hope I get to that place soon!!

Scalestepper - TOMATO JAM??? I need to go to your journal in hopes of finding the recipe. I should have tried something like that when I had tomatoes overflowing from the garden. Maybe this can be made from canned ones??

Jeanie - another visualization that is far more severe (also found on the diabetes forums) to ward off a binge is the visual of a football stadium full of diabetic amputees. That is the sad reality I try to remember. My body does not handle sugars well, and therefore that is where the damage will lead me if I keep it up with the sugarcarbies. Harsh, but true.

The 30g protein per meal is not Bernsteins recommendation - they were just discussing it on the Bernstien forum. Most said the amounts per meal were really not that far off. It's not like 90g per day of protein is a humongous amount. Dr. Donald K. Layman is the researcher in question. There is an interview with him from a few years ago on Jimmy Moore's site. (I'm guessing those links are not allowed?) I just find it interesting. Of course Lyle McDonald is another who seems to advocate higher protein amounts for preservation of lean mass. I don't know who to believe but I find the reading interesting!

Yesterday was another reasonably on plan day. Another down tick on the scale and FBG 96 this morning!

Miles to go on this research paper today...so I'm gonna scoot.

DG
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Morning DG

Quote:
Hi Diana! Glad you stopped in! As you can probably tell I am still flopping around figuring out exactly what LC plan I am following LOL! I envy you your clear decision on a plan, and your willingness to stay true to it day after day. I hope I get to that place soon!!

I have tried many low-carb variants in the past: Atkins Induction, Protein Power, GO Diet, *******, and VLC.

It makes sense to me that I was stalling on too much protein. I now believe I was eating more protein than my body needed, so the protein was being converted in glucose, kicking me out of ketosis and causing stalls.
Once I was stalled, I would lose heart, eat off plan, and my weight would go up.
However, even during my off-plan times, I was generally eating far fewer carbs than the typical American diet contains, so I'm hoping my health benefited even when my weight didn't.

I'm really hoping HFLC will help me break that lose-stall-regain pattern.

I hope you have a wonderful, on-plan day!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #308
Blabbermouth!!!

Nice to meet you Diana!

DG- What plan were you following when you hit goal weight? Have you found the protein amounts in either direction to be a issue? When I hit goal in 2010 I didn't worry about protein amounts and lost fine, and actually find I am more hungry if I try to limit it. I am like you and just seem to need the nuts or something crunchy and different than the standard low carb fare ,which leads to overeating/binging, or at best weight maintenance.

I went with a 64 protein gram breakfast and was full for six hours.

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-15-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Diana - I hope the HFLC regime gets you to where you are gong without stalling! I will be reading with interest of course! Wow - Santa Cruz. How beautiful! Do you spend much time at the beach?

Jeanie - The biggest thing I did before when I got down to goal was to keep my carbs down (30g net or so) and keep my calories 1500 - 1700. I didn't try to limit protein. As a matter of fact, I just went and looked at my life form records. On a quick scan of weekly averages, it looks like I was usually in the 90's grams of protein. Occassionally in the 80's and Occassionally as high as 120 for a weekly average.

I havent' really been fully back to that old forumla because my calories have been averaging a little higher than that. It's OK. I'll get there, I think.

I will be really interested to hear how your Big Breakfast thing goes. Do you might sharing your menu? What all did you eat to get 65g Protein for breakfast? What are your meals looking like for the rest of the day?

My cals are high again today. I was on the home stretch with this research paper. Then I got an e-mail from a class buddy who told me that the syllabus was posted for another class that starts this Thursday, and meets double the hours per week for the last 8 weeks of the semester. Holy cripes! A longer research paper for that short class! My stress went through the roof and I ate some nuts over it. Quite a lot of nuts over it, actually. So my calories for today are about 2300 which is a bit (maybe more than a bit) over maintenance after factoring in my exercise. Thank goodness I had some today!!! Anyway...no sugarcarbies and no more food for today so all is OK. I'm still just happy not to be carbinging. I don't feel like NEARLY the bottomless pit I did when carbinging.

The good news is that I got my first draft of my research paper (for the current class that is) done. Mr. Doggy is really good at proofing my papers and making suggestions, so I left that on the counter for him along with the red pen. Hopefully he will finish it for me.

Well - I'm off to the showers!

DG
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

PS - I have been taking 5HTP in the am and before bed. I wonder if that's helping? How would I know? Mood is pretty good these days so I think I'll keep that up.

DG
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Santa Cruz

Quote:
Diana - I hope the HFLC regime gets you to where you are going without stalling! I will be reading with interest of course! Wow - Santa Cruz. How beautiful! Do you spend much time at the beach?
Me too, DG. I love Santa Cruz. I don't spend much time at the beach, but I do spend a fair amount of time sailing Monterey Bay
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Nice meeting you too, Jeanie...

Hi Jeanie

Nice to meet you too.

DG - I hope you don't mind us meeting up on your journal
Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajlane View Post
DG - I hope you don't mind us meeting up on your journal
GIRLY PARTY!!! Love it. We can pretend we are all sailing together off the California coast!!!!

DG
Old 10-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Hi all just popping in to say Hi,been very busy with new job,hard work but very rewarding.
I'm still doing good I really like the LC,hf,mp way,I no when I eat to much protein I don't lose weight,if I eat out I always gain .5 to 2 lbs and takes me days or a week to get back down to we're i was.i do try to bounce my cals from 1200-1500 some days hard to do that just not hungry.i do feel real good even with the stress at work,I try to ignore it and just do my job,but hard when older people are the once who suffer.
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Portcop!!! It's great to see you! I'm so excited that your hf/lc/mp program is working well for you. I soak that all up as good info as I fiddle with what I am doing! I'm sure getting settled into the new job is stressful, but I'm so happy to hear you find it rewarding.

Hello to all you other ladies and happy Thursday!

FBG 100 today. Sort of wish it would have come up 99 but I'm not complaining! I definitely have to stop it with the dang nuts if I'm going to make further progress with FBG and also weight! My high weight a couple weeks ago was 175.4 and today I was 170.6. So I'm pretty happy about that. Will be VERY happy once I am back in the 160s.

Added more fat to breakfast today while still holding at 30g protein. A tad higher in cals but I'm hoping for more satiety throughout the day. We shall see.

I was supposed to go to a meeting today of a Coalition I belong to related to addiction treatment. I was really looking forward to it! But our septic backed up last night so instead I am sitting here waiting to see when the septic people will be able to fit us in. Sometimes that's the way the bacon crumbles I guess.

Hopefully I will finish my Case Management research paper today, and also make more progress on an Ethics paper that is due 10/31. I would really like to have both of those papers out of the way before the Theory & Practice class starts this Thursday. That's going to be a killer going at double the usual class pace!

DG
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Case management research paper: DONE!!!

Ethics article: 7 of 10 are DONE!! I WILL get those other 3 knocked out today. I am really happy to be checking these head hangers off of my list!!

DG
Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Woot, woot! Congrats on making such great progress! That's got to be a relief!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

It IS a relief! And now my Ethics paper is done too!

And.....our septic problem is fixed.

Life is back to normal.

DG
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #319
Blabbermouth!!!

DG- You are amazing- WTG on the school work! How is the 5htp working, I read that it should help with binging too? I started taking black cohosh today for hot flashes and insomnia, so far all that is happening is some minor stomach rumbling. I am getting really tired of this interrupted sleep and it's effect on my mood and resolve to eat well. When I am tired it is all too easy to want to eat for comfort and energy.

My menu is pretty boring, I have only done the big breakfast twice and both times got the bulk of my protein from a homemade protein shake and a little cheese/meat if needed.
It is holding me for a good 5-6 hours. Lunch/Dinner has been a homemade veg/beef soup or eggs with a little meat and cheese.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It IS a relief! And now my Ethics paper is done too!

And.....our septic problem is fixed.

Life is back to normal.

DG

Life is good!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
How is the 5htp working, I read that it should help with binging too? I started taking black cohosh today for hot flashes and insomnia, so far all that is happening is some minor stomach rumbling. I am getting really tired of this interrupted sleep and it's effect on my mood and resolve to eat well. When I am tired it is all too easy to want to eat for comfort and energy.
You would not BELIEVE the sleep issues I have had over the last several years. Seriously. I still have some nights that are just...Bad. But here are my favorite sleep tools:

* I used to take just valerian root which helped a bit. Now I take an herbal sleep aid product from GAIA herbs (sleep & relax???). It has valerian root + some other herbs and when I take it I sleep very sound for at least 4 hours before waking up. That is amazing. Without using it, I will be awake every 1 or 2 hours for sure. It does not give me a "hungover" feeling like over the counter sleep aids (non herbal ones) do - I don't do well with those.

* I take a hot shower right before bed. Took me a while to get used to this rather than the morning shower routine but it works well for me.

* Carbinges TOTALLY mess up my sleep. TOTALLY.

* After reading Diabetes Miracle I started keeping a light cheese stick on my night stand. Sometimes eating something that small if I wake up in the middle of the night seems to help me go right back to sleep.

My sleep has been better since I came back here to LCF this time than it has EVER been. I know the diet changes plus these other tools are really helping.

Quote:
My menu is pretty boring, I have only done the big breakfast twice and both times got the bulk of my protein from a homemade protein shake and a little cheese/meat if needed.
It is holding me for a good 5-6 hours. Lunch/Dinner has been a homemade veg/beef soup or eggs with a little meat and cheese.
I may try upping my breakfast protein even more tomorrow, and delaying lunch. Late afternoon is my "witching our" for thinking I need to eat everything but the kitchen sink. I would love to get my meals and timing moderated to get me through that time of day more successfully. I'm not carbinging but that's when I want to get into nuts, PB, etc. I'm going to try your idea of more protein at B-fast and see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post

Life is good!
It is indeed! I'm grateful.

I listened to the recent Dr. Layman podcast today after fnishing my papers and while waiting for the septic people to do their thing. I know a lot of people seem to not like what he had to say, but his comments about protein being satiating, etc. sure jibe with the research that other diet programs promote. He explains thoroughly why a 30g protein minimum for nearly any adult is the right minimum number. I'm really going to try to stick with that, and not worry if I go a little higher. What have I got to lose except 20 pounds, right?

Are you ladies watching the debates tonight? I'm thinking it should be somewhat entertaining with the town hall format. I'm expecting the unexpected from either/both candidates. It doesn't even matter so much what political point of view they are coming from - it will be fun to see who can best think on their feet when faced with every day people putting pointed questions to them.

or maybe it will be a huge snooze fest like the VP debate sort of was. I will make sure to have my kindle with me in my lounge chair just in case.

DG
Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

I plan on watching it, at least I know which night it is this week.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #323
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree with Layman DG give me a breakfast of bacon and eggs and I'll be hungry again in no time. High protein keeps me full longer. I just hesitate to add too much fat or carbs though as I fear that is not a healthy combo. Frankly though I am getting a little put off by all these Dr's claiming they know what is best. I am finding that I am just going to have to find my own way! My Black Cohosh contains valerian root, hops flower and L-theanine, I am hoping it helps me to sleep tonight. I am very nervous about going to work tomorrow as we had to report a parent for suspected child abuse. A bit concerned that the parent may come in in a rage. Child abusers suck!!

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-16-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I plan on watching it, at least I know which night it is this week.
You are funny scalestepper! I remember that from last week. I had to double check the time for tonight!

Quote:
I agree with Layman DG give me a breakfast of bacon and eggs and I'll be hungry again in no time. High protein keeps me full longer. I just hesitate to add too much fat or carbs though as I fear that is not a healthy combo. Frankly though I am getting a little put off by all these Dr's claiming they know what is best. I am finding that I am just going to have to find my own way! My Black Cohosh contains valerian root, hops flower and L-theanine, I am hoping it helps me to sleep tonight. I am very nervous about going to work tomorrow as we had to report a parent for suspected child abuse. A bit concerned that the parent may come in in a rage. Child abusers suck!!
I know it sure does get confusing!!! I hope you get a really good sleep tonight. I hope things go OK tomorrow. We talk about mandatory reporting in classes, and I can't imagine actually having to do it. I bet it is stressful and scary. I hope things are smooth at work tomorrow.

Nighty night ladies! It's been fun being chatty today. Off to settle in on the lounge sofa for the big debate.

DG
Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning ladies! Just had a nice LC breakfast with 30g protein. A little more carby than I usually do for breakfast do to inclusion of some Fiber One cottage cheese to get to the protein goal. (12g carb, 7g fiber) But it's far from horrible so I'll take it.

Hope you ladies are off to a good start today!

DG
Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Good morning!
I love cottage cheese with salsa. I haven't seen Fiber one cottage cheese, awesome. It will be interesting to hear the results, hope it keeps you satisfied.

I hope you have a good day!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #327
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Good morning ladies! Just had a nice LC breakfast with 30g protein. A little more carby than I usually do for breakfast do to inclusion of some Fiber One cottage cheese to get to the protein goal. (12g carb, 7g fiber) But it's far from horrible so I'll take it.

Hope you ladies are off to a good start today!

DG
Hope this works for you DG. I had an epic binge last night I just do not like LC foods anymore, so I don't know why I keep trying what I know doesn't work.

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-17-2012 at 02:24 PM..
Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Have a good day!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hope this works for you DG. I had an epic binge last night I just do not like LC foods anymore, so I don't know why I keep trying what I know doesn't work.
Jeanie I'm so sorry. I hope you are feeling OK and viewing this as all part of a journey and NOT BEATING YOURSELF UP!!!!! So many of us here have to battle binging or the urges - so many of us at so many different stages of recovery from this. And then back and forth we go. I love the fact that we can speak HONESTLY about it here in this thread.

A dear friend of mine who passed away 2 years ago - a fellow alcoholic - used to say to me when I was newly sober "we are as sick as our secrets." I'm realizing that is true for ALL of my life - not just things related to drinking alcohol. Believe me, as I have struggled myself here with binges, urges to binge, and even now the difficulties staying on a plan long enough to actually lose weight - despite not eating sugarcarbies....I have wanted to run and hide. But I try to make myself come here and be honest and for me anyway, I am doing SO much better than I was for a long time just living inside myself with my "secret."

Anyway...long way of saying that I'm glad you trust us enough to come here and talk about it - and I hope you keep doing that as you continue your search. Have you decided what you are going to try next?

Quote:
Have a good day!
You too Scalestepper!!!

Yesterday was a good food day. Maybe the bigger breakfasts and always 30g protein at meals is helping??? Dunno...but I will try to rinse and repeat today! LOL I ate EXACTLY the same breakfast as yesterday except for the addition of a cup of almond milk. Lunch will be the same too as soon as my cleaning lady clears out of the kitchen. Hopefully she will be done in there before I eat my office furniture.

DG
Old 10-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #330
Blabbermouth!!!

How is the new plan working for you DG?

I am doing better the last two days. Took some MCT oil yesterday and had some today as well, it seems to work pretty well as far as dampening my appetite. I still get hungry but fill us easily and carbs don't sound appealing. I stopped in the grocery store today for some things and was amazed how little attention I paid to the junk food, usually it is all I can do not buy something or at least pine for it.

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-19-2012 at 11:58 AM..