Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/184.6/152
WOE: ????
Start Date: This time: 5/19/14
Hi all! FBG back down to 107 today. Never thought i would be "thrilled" with that number, but it's been in the teens lately so this is progress!

Jeanie - yes I am doing the oat bran. The yogurt comes with major cautions about quantity, and the first recommendation for stalls is to examine dairy consumption. So....I'm trying to really keep tabs on that. I do NOT do any sugar sweetened yogurts. I use 2 tbs plain greek yogurt when I make a galette with the oat bran. I will sometimes have a "Carbmaster" flavored yogurt for a snack which is 4g net carbs, and so processed as to not actually be yogurt, I'm thinking. I do no like much fat free dairy so am using low fat dairy and not much of it.

Yesterday afternoon I got into the PB jar with a spoon. That is definitely not Dukan! However it didn't lead to a major carbinge, so I'm OK with the day.

Off to an event at school, then hopefully a workout before starting homework this afternoon. Have a great day ladies!

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Hi all! FBG back down to 107 today. Never thought i would be "thrilled" with that number, but it's been in the teens lately so this is progress!

Jeanie - yes I am doing the oat bran. The yogurt comes with major cautions about quantity, and the first recommendation for stalls is to examine dairy consumption. So....I'm trying to really keep tabs on that. I do NOT do any sugar sweetened yogurts. I use 2 tbs plain greek yogurt when I make a galette with the oat bran. I will sometimes have a "Carbmaster" flavored yogurt for a snack which is 4g net carbs, and so processed as to not actually be yogurt, I'm thinking. I do no like much fat free dairy so am using low fat dairy and not much of it.

Yesterday afternoon I got into the PB jar with a spoon. That is definitely not Dukan! However it didn't lead to a major carbinge, so I'm OK with the day.

Off to an event at school, then hopefully a workout before starting homework this afternoon. Have a great day ladies!

DG

Yah on the bg. Good job having no carbinge. I hope you have a great weekend!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Hi ladies! BG 101 today. I'm motivated to see if maybe it will go under 100 soon - that would sure make me happy!

LOL Yesterday I couldn't really decide if it was a pure protein day or a protein & veg day. It was PP up until dinner and then I had a small serving of brocolli with my steak. So not sure what today will bring. I'm thinking I'll keep it PP and try to REALLY get on the alternating day bandwagon.

I am not implementing Dukan in quite the fat phobic way it's presented either. ie real bacon with an egg for breakfast. However I know better than to get free wheeling with the fat because I can't lose weight if calories go up to much.

Scale was down too. Hope that trend continues. I think it will if I stick with it.

DG
Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
It was the fat phobia that turned me off to Dukan as well. I loved the greek yogurt and oat bran idea as well as the alternating days, but I couldn't get behind the anti-fat stuff. Good for you for adjusting as you see fit. Looking forward to seeing your progress!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi ladies! BG 101 today. I'm motivated to see if maybe it will go under 100 soon - that would sure make me happy!

Scale was down too. Hope that trend continues. I think it will if I stick with it.

DG
I keep losing my posts.

WTG on the BG and weight loss! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, I love learning all things!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Ack. Peanuts & peanut butter are the albatros around my neck right now. I love my DH with all my heart, but I wish peanuts and peanut butter could be banished from our house!!! But they won't be, so I have to learn how to live with them, without ever opening the containers. That is all.

Today is a new day, and for that I am happy! Breakfast was turkey sausage / egg / egg white scramble. With my beloved reduced sugar ketchup.

Hello Christine & Scalestepper! Yes I will keep you posted on how it goes with Dukan if I can ever stick with anything for more than a few days in a row! Ugh!

Shout out to Jeanie and portcop - hope you are both well!

Midterm week. I can survive this.

DG
Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good luck on the mid-terms!!

I hear ya on the peanut butter; I have the same problem with almond butter once it's opened. And I have a HUGE problem with Greek yogurt; hence the reason we don't keep it in the house anymore.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Ditto peanut butter....you know I never liked it, Mom never fixed it for us growning up, I never was around it until I married and it's a staple for my h.

One night in a weight watchers class someone mentioned that they loved it so much they actually kept their stash at a neighbors house, how funny is that and that's what I thought, crazy....well I went home and stuck my finger in ours and omg, I went nuts. I think there's a moral to that story somewhere in there.

Good luck and everyone have a good day!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Christine - Almond butter? FORGET ABOUT IT! That jar wouldn't last 5 minutes in my house!!! Thank goodness it's only PB my DH likes. I've bought many jars saying "I will only have 2 tbs at a time..." and of course before you know it I've downed the whole jar. How can I even handle eating the volume of food I can eat? That just doesn't seem normal! Or fair!

Scalestepper that's funny about the WW lady taking the PB to the neighbor's house!

This all just goes to show that PB really IS crack!

I was supposed to be studying this afternoon and somehow I ended up on the Crazy Poop Lady thread in the Playground. O. M. G.!!!! I have never laughed so hard in my life and I'm glad Anna prevailed. It's good to be warned that there ARE such cRaZy people in this world!

DG
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #280
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Good luck on midterms!!!

Hope you figure it out DG. Sorry the HFLC KN didn't work for you. Maybe just look at doing regular Atkins with walking the ladder? Like do the NANY book (New Atkins New You). It has a slightly different take than either '72 or '92?

I don't know how people do it in a mixed household. The only way I can be true blue is to have a clean house. Then I do an easy job of living on plan.

pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Pooti!!!! I think I am sorta doing what you are suggesting. Just low carb without worrying too much about protein amounts and fat amounts - just keeping the carbs low. One day at a time. I sure appreciate your support. Saw your update - WOW you are sure undertaking a lot right now. I so hope the sugeries go well and that the pain, drain pipes, etc. don't last very long!

Jeanie???? Where are you!!

Hi Scalestepper, portcop (WHERE ARE YOU??), Christine, anyone else...

Wow did any of you follow the Crazy Poop Lady saga in the Playground? I've never even gone there and saw some mention of this CPL thing and ended up spending probably 2 hours or more yesterday reading the whole thread. OMG this is a nutty world we live in. Sounds like the LCFer handled Crazy Poop Lady just fine. I don't need to watch any TV now for at least a week!

Just low carbin' it today, and studying for finals.

B: Scrambled eggs with sausage
L: Either beef or pork from the crockpot - there is both in the fridge & broccoli
S: Fat bomb, Carbmaster
D: Mahi mahi, cole slaw
S: Cheese stick

I'm not going to the gym today because a hurt a dang bicip tendon (AGAIN ) but plan to walk with Leslie Sansone at least.

Back to the books!

DG
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #282
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
DG what is the CPL thing? I don't visit the Playground so don't wanna go invest time on it?

Sounds like you are doing great and finding the way that works for your body!!! Interestingly, I'm reading TASOLC by P&V and they even speak of an illustration where you are eating closer to 50% fat and are still in ketosis. I don't have the money to buy a KM and sticks. Heck I can't even afford to buy diabetic strips right now. But I could swear I am usually in ketosis when I'm doing my Atkins-ish style 50% fat diet.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
DG what is the CPL thing? I don't visit the Playground so don't wanna go invest time on it?
OMG it's this whole crazy story about a LCF member who somehow ended up dog sitting (just letting her dog out a couple times a day over a weekend) for this cRaZy woman (Crazy Poop Lady). The dog pooped on a rug and somehow a story got all twisted around and this poor LCF woman got taken to court over it! LCF woman prevailed over CPL though so all is right in the end. There is justice in this world after all.

Quote:
Sounds like you are doing great and finding the way that works for your body!!! Interestingly, I'm reading TASOLC by P&V and they even speak of an illustration where you are eating closer to 50% fat and are still in ketosis. I don't have the money to buy a KM and sticks. Heck I can't even afford to buy diabetic strips right now. But I could swear I am usually in ketosis when I'm doing my Atkins-ish style 50% fat diet.
I just have to keep plunging ahead and I know that too many carbs does NOT work for me. As somebody astutely pointed out on one of the LCHF type threads (Leo41 perhaps?), ketosis is NOT a requirement for weight loss, as evidenced by WW, moderate carb diets, etc. I haven't yet figured out what I will settle on, but I know I can't walk away from here or I will just gain more weight. So you all are stuck with me!!

DG
Old 10-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope your tendon heals up quickly! I find the conversation about ketosis very interesting. It seems that things have changed for me: I'm doing what I did previously and it's not working, so I'm mixing it up with more fat hoping to inspire ketosis and weight loss. Ketosis isn't necessary, as you mentioned, but I suspect that it's quicker. Interesting stuff. Anyway, it's all about keeping on the path, right? Consistency is key!

Good luck with mid-terms!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #285
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
everyone!

Doing well with exercise and eating mostly low carb. I have not been fretting about amounts of anything in particular, just eating lower carb and keeping portions in check. Last night I did however polish off a whole bag of microwave popcorn. Not the healthiest choice, but beats some of the choices I have made in the past! I was truly hungry when I ate it but could not bring myself to eat any more protein or fat.

DG- Sorry to hear about the bicep. My rotator cuff has been an issue for several months now and it has really affected my ability to lift weights optimally.
I have been doing what I can lately with lots of walking/jogging. Now the arch of my left foot is starting to hurt from the jogging Sucks getting old
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ladies!

Christine - I applaud you for just tweaking what you are doing to get things moving again rather than either throwing your hands in the air or making radical changes (and then not giving them time to work). <--- all of that is what I feel like I have been doing! Freak out kind of stuff. I'm working to calm that down. Oh I so wish this were all as simple as just keeping carbs low. That seemed to work "back when" on a younger version of me. But as much as Gary Taubes seems to want us to think calories don' t matter, they sure seem to matter in my body!

Jeanie - glad to hear you sounding good!! Just making decent choices one day at a time is an awesome program! You are sure right that a "whole bag" (which isn't much, by my standards!) of popcorn is nothing compared to an epic binge. I also like what you said about keeping up with the walking / jogging. Well, for me...WAAAAY more walking LOL! If I can't get to any other exercise for whatever reason (excuse) then at least walking a few miles a day is at least something!

Speaking of which....I am on campus today and there is an awesome path all the way around this place. Just a Jr. College so not a huge campus, but it's just a little over a mile around. I'm planning to take a couple laps after I'm done posting here.

Midterms today. LOL I came to the library thinking this would be a quiet place. NOT. Where are the **** librarians that used to rool the roost back when I was a teenage college student??? This would NEVER have happened! How can all these kids be 1) texting and 2) listening to *whatever* on their headphones AND 3) TALKING???!!! ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Sheesh. I'm going to look at it this way. With all the non-studying going on it will throw the curve down and make it that much easier for me to get an A.

Yesterday was a decent zen LC day. Somewhere around 1500 cals and somewhere around 50g carbs. I'm cool with that. I ate LC breakfast before I left home this morning, and packed food for lunch, snack and dinner. If I eat all of it, and nothing from outside my cooler, then it will be another day of about the same levels.

Something I have to seriously accept at this stage of my life is that:
1. It is hard to lose weight.
2. It is easy to gain weight.
3. I cannot afford the indiscretions I might have gotten away with years ago.

That is all.

Oh - anyone been watching the sassy commercials for "Nashville" that started tonight?? I tivo'd it as I really think I'm in need of a new "bad to worse" type night soap to watch.

Have a great day all!

DG
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

everyone!

Hope the injuries heal soon! Nothing is like it used to be is it. I've seen the previews, I need to check the schedule of Nashville, we watch Survivor and the debate is tonight.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #288
Big Yapper!!!!

Doing well today. Legs and feet are getting tired,so I am taking a workout break tomorrow and may go to the library and pick up a book I heard about titled the The Big Breakfast Diet. I am doing okay without a plan, but want a plan b if need be.

DG- Hope midterms are going well and that you were able to get a walk in around the campus between classes.

Christine- What did you do before that doesn't work for you now?

Hi scalestepper and portcop!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Something I have to seriously accept at this stage of my life is that:
1. It is hard to lose weight.
2. It is easy to gain weight.
3. I cannot afford the indiscretions I might have gotten away with years ago.

That is all.
Indeed! I feel the same way.

Good for you for working some exercise into your day; heading out a few laps around campus is a great idea!

Jeanie, what I was doing before was standard LC: Low carbs, moderate protein, moderate fat. The weight just fell off my body. Fast-forward to a year later, and I cannot lose a pound to save my life on that plan. Honestly, I can't lose a pound on ANY plan right now. The differences include upping my fat (good idea) and drinking more coffee (bad idea). I am also lifting much heavier weights (good idea), and I swear that I'm changing in size (will measure to check progress soon), but I got on the scale this morning and couldn't believe the number! I'm over weighing myself, I swear! Anyway, that's where I am right now: Higher fat, lower protein, heavier lifting.

"When I run, it's me against myself, which means that I always lose." ~Christine

Weight loss journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ney-maker.html
Old 10-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Morning ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
I need to check the schedule of Nashville, we watch Survivor and the debate is tonight.
The debate is tonight, right? I recorded Nashville but haven't watched that hot, steamy batch of silliness yet. But I'm going to. Are there any hot guys to look at or just cougars and young chik ee poos? I vote for some eye candy in cowboy boots. I guess I'll have to watch it soon so I can give a proper report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
a book I heard about titled the The Big Breakfast Diet. I am doing okay without a plan, but want a plan b if need be.
I've never heard of that one. I hope you will tell us about it if you got the book. I'm so glad that things are going well with the food! I think getting some distance from the binges is such an important start. I really had to accept that for me, I can try to do "weight loss" levels of food when I'm not stable in a binge free sort of mode. I hope you can just get some time under your belt away from the binges. Geez - I sure know how hard that is and how cRaZy things feel. I hope you keep on keepin' on one day at a time! (and me too right with you!)

[/QUOTE]

Christine - I'm really guessing that the tape measure is a better friend to you right now then the scale! It really is hard though - at some point I think our bodies just do NOT want to give up the fat. You are going to be rock solid the way you are weight training. I really need to get my arse in gear with that because really, if I weren't so fluffy around the middle I wouldn't mind being basically the size I am.

Midterms were....well... one was for sure OK. When a person has ALL of the questions in advance of the test (from the teacher - no sneakiness) then one SHOULD do OK, right? So I'm confident in a good grade for that one.

The other test was a BRAIN BURNER. OMG. So many essay questions about ethics in addiction treatment. PAGES of writing. And this particular teacher also mixes in Multiple guess oops I mean choice, and T/F questions. He makes up the HARDEST multiple guess and T/Fs of any teacher I have ever had. So we'll see. I think I'll be very happy I went to that presentation yesterday morning which was extra credit in that class!

I didn't get as much walking in yesterday as I had hoped but I'm going to the gym this morning before I get my hair done. My tendons in my arm are still sore and I really need to let that heal completely before I push it, so I'm just going to focus on some cardio - but will try to do some HARD cardio on the machines with decent resistance. At least my heart and my legs will get a work out.

Haven't commited a menu for today in writing yet, but have it in my head. Well, I guess now would be a good time for writing it down!!

B: Egg/Egg White scramble in butter with some sausage. With SF ketchup on top. My indulgence for the morning.
L: I will do something with chicken and roast beef - chef salad or just roll ups with cheese.
S: ???? Possibly a galette. or a Carbmaster & a cheese stick
D: Mahi mahi - gotta cook that stuff before it turns green in the fridge. LC Cole slaw on the side.

FBG in the 1teens this week. Once I get my fridge cleared out I may try to drop protein and up fat and see if I can't get that number to come down some. I haven't taken my post prandials in probably 10 days. Those have always been better than my fasting. I hope that is still the case and I am at least low enough carbs that I'm not going up too high after meals. This BG thing really is providing me much needed motivation to stay out of the sugarcarbies. (I still get in the peanuts too much, but that's a different issue LOL!)

Need to stalk Christine's thread for recipes.

Well - I need to go take the garbage out and get another cup of :coffee: Have a great day ladies!

PS - I did not kill any of the loud people in the library, and every other place on campus yesterday. That is a miracle!

DG
Old 10-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm sure you did just fine on your mid-terms! That ethics one sounds like a killer! But you also seem very prepared, so I'm sure you'll hear good news on that.

You're absolutely right about the tape measure. My new mantra is "measure and be patient."
Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #292
Big Yapper!!!!

Well I think I may need to do some sort of exercise every day as I didn't know what to do with myself this afternoon w/o my routine of late. I think even when I am too tired for a full workout I am going to go to the Y and just walk the track or treadmill very slowly and listen to music. I came home and just started feeling more tired and achy and eventually started snacking and overdid the trail mix. Not an epic binge but enough to make me feel like crap. UGH if I only could only remember in the midst of eating the junk food how terrible and overfull I will feel afterwards. Oh well back to my routine tomorrow.

Hope everyone is well and finding what is working for them!

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-11-2012 at 05:57 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Christine - I am hopeful about the test. As I often say, being in school at my age IS different. My memorizer doesn't work as good as it used to, but my BSer works a lot better. That's usually helpful on a predominantly essay exam. Now to just BE PATIENT (your mantra!) and wait until next week without worrying over the grades.

Jeanie - I'm right there with you. I'm really happy I have not had an epic binge in a while. But I get those munchies and too many peanuts are keeping my weight up and my mood down. I too need to find other things to fill the time with (or keep my hands busy with) during my witching hours. I've also been thinking that even on days when I am not up for anything else - walking is my friend.

I was reading yesterday on a diabetes forum (Bernstein's forum) about a researcher that Jimmy Moore interviewed a few years back who is a "protein guru" and who believes that many of us don't get enough. I read and read and read and it's impossible to undertand it all, much less give a good summary. But the bottom line is that this guy thinks 30g protein per meal is a minimum for people to really take care of their lean mass. Flies in the face of the most recent thinking ala NK that protein needs are much lower. Oy. Conflicting info just drives me nuts. Doesn't anybody *know* for sure??? One of the eye opening things is that in his opinion many of the "protein minimum" calculations out there - i.e. RDA, etc. - are not for OPTIMAL HEALTH they are just the minimum to prevent protein deficiency health problems. I have briefly experimented with NK myself and I have just really been curious about the low protein amounts and wondering about that. Not criticizing - I just don't know.

At any rate, it was interesting reading. Or confusing reading. Or something.

OK - I'm going to put some HWC in my coffee mug with a little coffee and head to the gym.

DG
Old 10-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Conflicting information, indeed. I think we have two problems on our hands with regard to human nutrition:

1. Individual physiological differences
2. Difficulty in controlling experimentation factors

Honestly, I think there's such a wide range of what "works" for people because our compositions are so different! Yet we still seem to think that there should be ONE way to do things (FDA food pyramid, anyone?) and that the ONE thing will work for the majority of people. I think we need a slate of empirically-based options that people can test for themselves.

The research is an issue, of course. It's nearly impossible to control the variables when studying humans.

I'm glad people keep talking about human nutrition, though! I like to read the studies and hear about people's perspectives: What worked for them, what didn't, etc. It all goes into our arsenal of tools so that we can build an effective plan for ourselves.

Hope you have a great weekend!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

AMEN to every word of that Christine!

Hi Jeanie, Scalestepper - where did you go Portcop!

FBG 92 today this morning!!!! YAY!!!! First time below 100 in a couple weeks. This follows a really clean LC week. My average total carbs this week have been 47 with 20 fiber. I did a bunch of post prandials yesterday to look for spikes and didn't find any big ones.

Confirming that LC has become a necessity for me if I want to be healthy. So be it. Working on that acceptance part, which wants to come and go on me.

I was reading a really intersting thread yesterday on the Bernstein forum. A guy was writing about his research and learning and implementation of impulse control techniques. He is a guy I can relate to - was successful with LC for a few years (he actually lost 100+ pounds) but then fell off the wagon, and found it REALLY difficult to get back on. Took him a long time - a couple years IIRC?? Anyway...he came back because of his BG problems. He started studying formal info about impulse control as a way to help him get back on track. He talked about recognizing urges as just thoughts - and CATCHING THEM the MINUTE they flicker across the mind. Not waiting for those urge thoughts to take hold and become undeniable. I am summarizing poorly, I'm sure - but this basically describes my experience with urges for sugarcarbies.

Part of the strategy is recognizing those thoughts immediately, and forcing a change of the channel. That's the hard part. For me, the shock of realizing my BG is out of control has worked somewhat for this. I get urges and imagine the BG meter with some high number I don't want to see. Little did I know I was onto a good thing there. I'm hoping to read more about this and develop improved methods for shifting my thoughts to control my impulses. I just can't afford to act on the sugarcarby urges any more. It used to be about weight and vanity - now it is about so much more.

Here is my plan for today - going with 30g pro per meal:

B: Egg/EW omlette with 28g shredded cheese, bacon
L: 2 oz chicken breast, 1.5 oz pepperjack, carbmaster, fat bomb
S: MIM
D: Crock pot turkey breast with tomato sauce, spaghetti squash, 2 fat bomb

For right now I am trying to keep cals around 1500. Yesterday I overshot that (dang peanuts! $*%#%&) and was more like 1800. I just don't think the way my metabolism is right now I will lose weight at that level. Trying to stay focused on BG control as the most important thing, which it is.

I need to make some SERIOUS progress on this research paper today. Case management in the drug court system. I'm facinated by drug courts (and other problem solving courts) as an alternative to jail. It's been successful in my county. Off I go - breakfast then research!

Have a good day..

DG
Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #296
Big Yapper!!!!

Interesting about the impulse control DG. For me it seems that once the thoughts/cravings surface, physical symptoms are not far behind and that will be when I binge.

I am still reading the Big Breakfast Diet book and haven't decided if I will try out her suggestions or not. I do see myself and seem to follow the carb binge patterns the author describes in the book.

In a nutshell my pattern tends to be:

- Little to no breakfast (due to previous evening binge/overeating or because I have trained myself to not eat breakfast). The author claims this early morning satiation may be due to high serotonin levels in the morning that is exacerbated by the previous nights high intake of carbs. This no breakfast is not forced I am genuinely not interested in food until at least noon.

- Later in the day I start to feel hungry and will usually have a normal lc meal, but will soon find that I am hungry soon after. Sometimes it is genuine hunger other times it is the time of day that the thoughts/cravings for carbs begin to surface. I can usually distract myself and not eat again until dinner which is usually the time of day when I will cave. The thoughts/cravings soon turn to a feeling of sadness, anxiety and a restlessness that is temporarily eliminated by the carbs. I don't immediately feel bad from the carbs, often I feel better physically- relaxed and content, but the mental feelings of failure and worry about my health soon follow. I go to bed totally convinced that tomorrow I will eat well and not repeat this cycle, only to cave again the next day.

The book pretty much describes my behavior to a tee. She claims that if we eat a big breakfast with some carbs and then smaller amounts of protein and veggies/low sugar fruit for lunch and only minimal protein/veggies for dinner that we can break this cycle because we will be keeping serotonin levels from dropping later in the day.

I may give it a try because I know that traditional low carb does not work for me anymore in that I can't stick to it. I can't pinpoint the exact problem with LC, but I tend to be less satisfied with the food rather than more sated as the weeks pass. I sleep poorly and often wake up at night with a feeling of panic. This is not limited to the adjustment period- it persists.

Sorry for the novel- hopefully eyes didn't glaze over too much, just trying of figure things out.

Have a great weekend and try to have some down time too!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Good morning,

Very interesting...I love reading the issues and research you girls are doing, all of us fit in there somewhere...

I hope everyone has a great weekend and peace with food!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #298
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Doggygirl-
The method you were describing from that guy on the Bernstein thread correlates very well with what I learned from Brain Over Binge. In that book, the author (a recovered bulimic) makes the point that once the thoughts surface, if we entertain them at all, we're doomed. If we try to 'fight' them with logic or reasoning, we're also doomed.

She argues that the thoughts come from our 'lower brain,' and although it can't take action, it can overwhelm our 'higher brain' the longer we let it speak. So we need to silence it. And what works best is to mock it and move on. For example, if I'm in the supermarket, I may get the thought, "Why not get some ice cream? You've been eating so well, your weight is good, and you can just enjoy a 1/2 cup every now and then. It would be nice to have available when you want (and deserve) a treat."

This, by the way, has actually happened to me. My response (that worked) was, "Oh, come on. When did you ever eat a 1/2 cup of ice cream in your life? If you buy that, you know how it will end. That carton will never reach the freezer because it will be gone after the first spoonful. You know this is a trigger food for you that you can't have in the house. Who do you think you're kidding?"

Right after that, I no longer thought about buying ice cream.

The problem is that both of these voices are our own--and, as the author points out, there's an inviting pleasure in the urge for that ice cream that makes us more likely to listen to that 'urge.' It's something pleasurable, and that 'lower brain' can convince us that we can 'handle it.' Unless we stop its voice immediately, we're doomed (i.e., eating the carton of ice cream).

I've found that unless I stop that voice immediately, I'm soon in a 'compulsive' state that makes the ice cream irresistible.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Oh wow I am nearly in TEARS sitting here reading these posts and how close they hit to home and how much HOPE I am getting from just sharing honestly about these problems, cravings, binges, and how we are working to solve them, and how others have solved them.

Jeanie - I love when you write a big ol' post here and really talk about what research you are doing, how you relate to it, and share honestly about the experiences you have with compulsion to binge eat. I can relate so much to what you are saying. So I hope you keep sharing! That book sounds interesting and I might see if it's available for kindle. I my kindle!! The concepts sound really interesting. Please share what you decide to try and how it works for you. Everyone definitely doesn't seem to feel well or do well on really low carbs. I think we all have to find our zone in that regard! I think the important thing is that we don't give up - that we keep seeking, learning, and trying until we get it nailed.

Scalestepper you are just such a wonderful participant here in my journal and you bring me that hope that I too can get firmly on the wagon!

Leo - it's so funny that you posted here because I've been thinking about you a lot over the last couple of days. I was debating starting a thread somewhere (maybe main lobby for more info to start?) just hoping to connect with people who have found success with LC+ appropriate, planned calorie restriction. I'm guessing there are plenty of threads already out there in cyberspace on the subject. I was just reading recently in the maintenance section and I felt like I was noticing a number of maintainers (esp. people who are no longer 29 LOL) talk about having to watch calories to continue success managing the weight. And now today here you are!!!!! Anyway....I love the specific example you gave of the ice cream in the grocery store. Wow isn't that the truth - walking the aisles of the grocery store feels like walking through a mine field sometimes with all the thoughts! Just like you describe.

I actually have the book brain over binge. I started reading it some long time ago and never finished. I'm going to get that one off the shelf because the strategy you described is exactly the kind of thinking I need to employ whenever the urges come. LOL - the TRUTH of my situation would be just like what you said - the ice cream container would never even make it to the fridge despite my "lower brain" trying to tell me I would somehow have portion control *this time..* Ugh. What a pack of lies!

Yesterday was another decent LC day. Still not particularly in the "weight loss zone" of calories but I'm OK with it for where I am at. I haven't had a serious sugarcarby binge now in quite awhile. I have dealt with some of those urges in a less than optimal way by eating too many nuts or whatever. But for now I'm OK with that too. I won't reach my health or weight goals if I allow that to become the new normal, but as a transitional thing it sure beats the sugarcarby binges.

Jeanie - back to your description about your feelings after binges. On top of the guilt and remorse I would feel once the "sugar high" started to fade, I also began to have horrible sleep problems on those days. Also, I would get feet cramps in the middle of the night that just made the whole sleepless thing even more miserable. I'm guessing that all had to do with the beginning of the blood glucose regulation problems. My BGs are vastly improved on LC, that's for sure. And I sleep better!!!

Anyway... todays plan:

B: Egg/EW/cheese omletee, bacon, cup of almond milk with divinci - yum! Oh. And some SF ketchup on those eggs.
L: Mahi mahi, cole slaw, Carbmaster
S: MIM
D: Crock pot turkey, spaghetti squash, fat bomb

Well, back to the research paper.

DG
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #300
Big Yapper!!!!

Not buying/having the food in the house does not stop me from binging. The thoughts/cravings will drive me insane and cause such restlessness and unease that I will eventually go out and buy the foods.

DG- I am first going to give a high protein breakfast w/minimal carbs one more shot before I try the Big Breakfast book plan, as it is higher in carbs.

Last edited by jeaniem; 10-14-2012 at 10:57 AM..