Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   To-Be-Low-Carber Journal (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/779950-low-carber-journal.html)

tobelowcarber 08-04-2012 03:05 PM

To-Be-Low-Carber Journal

Today is the lowest point in my weight loss journey and I have decided to start a journal to keep myself accountable and also to track my progress and mishaps along the way. Please bear with my typos (english is my 2nd language :))

A little about me. I am 37 yrs old and never have been overweight. I am above 10 lbs of my goal weight. I am 5' 4" so you could say my weight is fine but I feel my best at 115-120 lb. I would like to lose body fat and to have nice muscles.

I am dealing with hormonal binges that last for about 2 weeks of every month. This is what keeps me from achieving my goal weight. Every PMS puts on me 2-5 lbs of fat (yes, FAT!!!). I am an eating machine. I do great for the rest of the month with low carbs. Once the PMS kicks in I usually cave on carbs and become an eating binging machine. I cave on healthy carbs:) but in BULK (fuits, nuts, yogurt, honey, etc)

I have been following the blood type diet for over 12 years to control digestive issues and also to keep my weight in order. That's something that I will never stop following. It is my bible that helped me and many of my friends with serious health issue and weight problems. I started following Atkins in March 2012. I lost 8 lbs and my binging was under control. Once I started adding carbs and also switched to JUDD at the same time, my PMS cravings started again and I began losing and gaining the same 3 lbs.
The bottom line is, I do best on a low carb.

I like to exercise, but during PMS I have no energy to do anything. My workout routine comes to a holt. What I lose I gain in 1 week and continue the same vicious cycle. I love walking and lifting weights and really want to get into good shape.

Confession: today I have eaten over 4000 calories. I know, it is hard to believe that someone 125 lbs can eat so much. I can't believe myself :cry: I feel awful, bloated and "drugged" with the carbs.
I don't think I can face the scale till I get this eating under control.

Hope to have a better day tomorrow. I have to get rid of all the fruits I bought today, otherwise I will not be able to do it tomorrow.

My plan of action is to:

1. Stay low carb (below 30 gr) and during PMS go down to 20 gr or lower and don't touch any fruit, yogurt or nuts during PMS.

2. I am incorporating JUDD with the low carb and also following leptin reset principles

3. Walking, walking and weight lifting are a must for me

4. I am trying evening primrose oil (started today). Hope this is help me.

jeaniem 08-04-2012 03:34 PM

You can do it Marika! As you know we share the same struggles.:hugs:

tobelowcarber 08-04-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 15849907)
You can do it Marika! As you know we share the same struggles.:hugs:

Thank you Jeanie :hugs:

jeaniem 08-05-2012 03:11 PM

How you doing today Marika?

tobelowcarber 08-06-2012 04:38 AM

Jeanie- thank you for asking. I had a really bad Sunday. Could not get my eating under control but in the evening had a talk with myself to stop that carb eating and start fresh today. I know it will take 2 days to get the carbs out of my system. I am not going to count calories yet, just first need to get back to normal eating. Today the meat and eggs are on the menu. They usually work nicely to curb the carbs cravings.
I can't continue do this to my body. I am stronger than carbs!!!! It is me who puts them in my mouth and it is me who will stop this behavior. I am determined to fight with my hormonal cravings because I am strong. I know I can do this.
Hope you have a great week Jeanie!

zipp2play 08-06-2012 06:12 AM

Let us know how today goes. Maybe keep it simple??? You can do this!

tobelowcarber 08-06-2012 07:24 AM

Thanks, Monica!!! I have prepared my food for today so that should keep me inline. I am not going to do JUDD yet till I get myself back to normal.

I made a nice mayo this morning and will have it with some grilled turkey breast with little chopped onion. That will be my lunch. For breakfast I had 2 scrambled eggs with lamb pattie. Dinner probably will be either baked salmon or lefover grilled leg of lamb.

I am feeling better already. It is amazing what carbs can do to us. I am still feeling bloated and waiting for TOM. I wont be checking my weight for a while :)

I walked for 25 min this morning and that felt great.

jeaniem 08-06-2012 02:55 PM

Glad you're having a good day Marika. There is hope, today marks 28 days binge free for me!

tobelowcarber 08-07-2012 12:15 PM

Well, I did good till yesterday afternoon. I am back to binging. I think till TTOM shows up (hopefully weekend), it is going to be difficult to kick out the carb monster. I know once my hormones settle down I can start eating clean again. Now it is just so difficult. I learned my lesson- I CAN NOT HAVE ANY CARBS BESIDES VEGGIES DURING PMS!!! I lose total control if I have just one bite.

I am so happy for you, Jeanie :jumpjoy:

jeaniem 08-08-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 15856379)
Well, I did good till yesterday afternoon. I am back to binging. I think till TTOM shows up (hopefully weekend), it is going to be difficult to kick out the carb monster. I know once my hormones settle down I can start eating clean again. Now it is just so difficult. I learned my lesson- I CAN NOT HAVE ANY CARBS BESIDES VEGGIES DURING PMS!!! I lose total control if I have just one bite.

I am so happy for you, Jeanie :jumpjoy:

Hope you are doing well day. :)

tobelowcarber 08-09-2012 01:06 PM

It looks like 5 day binge spree is FINALLY over. I got up this morning craving meat and that's usually the sign that the carb binging is over. Fruits/nuts/yogurt are out of the house!!!! They create monster in me :(

Today I ate very clean:

B: 2 fried eggs
L: baked salmon with steamed cauliflower
D: I am making some mayo and will have leftover cauliflower and pickles with it :yummy:

I hope this binging never happens again. I learned one thing- do not touch fruits/nuts/yogurt during PMS (until unless I need to put on 5 lbs and feel like crap:))

jeaniem 08-10-2012 06:29 PM

Keep working it Marika:)

tobelowcarber 08-13-2012 09:59 AM

Ohh, it is good to be back eating low carb. TOM arrived today, so only today I was able to break from the constant carb binge that lasted for 10 long days. It is amazing what hormones can do me. It is surreal... I am so not touching any fruits or nuts (especially during PMS). For the past 10 days I have eaten the most calories dense carbs. I have inhaled so many mac nuts and yogurt with honey that I am scared to check my weight. I know I have gained at least 3-5 lbs. I am probably about 128-130 lbs right now. I am not happy about it but I am moving forward and I know I will lose it again. I am not stepping on the scale, because I know it will depress me.

I am going to test to do some hormonal saliva testing. I got the kit in today. I will have to find a new doctor who can help me with my hormonal issues. It is not easy to find a doctor who is knowledgeable in natural hormone replacement therapy. They all want to do is to push birth control pills and I have gone that route before and never again.
I got Brain Over Binge book today and will start reading it right a way.

Eating meat and eggs today. I am not hungry at all and only yesterday I could have eaten the whole cow. Actually not, when I have pms binging I can't make myself eat meat. I have no problem eating eggs, but meat I really have to force myself to eat. Now that TOM is here, I really miss my meat.

My exercise routine also came to a holt during PMS. I had no energy to do anything. The carbs really fatigued me and I did even do my regular walks. Amazing... now I am full of energy. What a difference a day can make :)

jeaniem 08-13-2012 10:59 AM

Glad you're back on track and feeling better.:)

tobelowcarber 08-14-2012 11:16 AM

I stepped on the scale this morning and did not like the number. I am not even gong to say how much I weigh today :sad::sad: I hope this number is so high because there still some water weight due to TOM and from carbs. I was not a happy camper this morning, but at least I know the damage I have done.

Today I started with large leptin reset breakfast at 8 AM: 1 can of wild salmon with little mayo and 4 eggs cooked in butter (about 60 gr protein)
It is now 2 PM and I am going to skip lunch as I am not hungry (this is very rare for me)
I may do early dinner-will be making some pan fried turkey breast.

I have some nice lamb shoulder roasting in the oven right now and smelling yummy. I will have that for breakfast next few days. I really have to make my breakfast minimum 50 gr of protein. I am going to the leptin reset right this time. I did abandoned it when my PMS kicked in.

2-3 meals a day
no snacking
large BAB breakfast

I am not doing JUDD right now. I want fix my hormones and get close to goal weight before I commit to JUDD. I may just do some days with lower calories to see how I do. May do lower calories days 2-3 times a week. Let's see how it goes.

I have been doing lots of reading about how to take care of my raging PMS hormones. I am not going to give in to my cravings and gain weight each month. I will sending in my hormone saliva test in a couple of weeks and let's see what it shows I am also looking into homeopathy and I think I found a remedy for the cravings. I started evening primrose oil and increased my vitex. I am determined to really take care of this once and for all. I want to get my goal weight. I am tired of gaining weight during PMS and erasing all my efforts I put with a 10 day binge each and every month. I am tired of carb fatigue I experience each time I cheat. Enough and enough.

jeaniem 08-14-2012 05:26 PM

Marika
Maybe we can work together to reach our goals. I am starting at Day 1 again tomorrow after 36 days w/o a binge.:down: I feel bad already bloated, sleepy and disappointed in myself, but all I can do is get back at it tomorrow.

How has the BAB worked for you in the past?

tobelowcarber 08-15-2012 06:20 AM

Jeanie- I am sorry to hear that. Let it be.. it was only 1 day. Get back on track with me today!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do it together!!!!!
When I did BAB last time I was approaching PMS. I am sure if I started with it at the beginning of the cycle then could have worked better for me. I just gave up when I started binging.
I am back on it. Today I ate big portion of lamb shoulder and I am stuffed. I think I got at least 60 gr of protein. I could barely finish, but I told myself it is a medicine. I am going to stick with LR. Yesterday, I did not have lunch (and I am always hungry for lunch). I ate my dinner at 4 PM and felt great. I love the way my body feels when I eat early and light dinner.

jeaniem 08-15-2012 08:51 AM

How many carbs do you eat with the LR? I can't believe how fast the weight comes back after only 1 binge!!! Oh well back on track today! I may give the LR another try but am going to wait and see if I got the job I interviewed for first. Hope your day goes well!

tobelowcarber 08-15-2012 09:08 AM

Jeanie- I am sure it is water weight from 1 day binge. Don't be discouraged.

For the past 2 days my carbs came only from eggs. Today I may have 2 cups lettuce. Basically I will follow Atkins 72 for the next week or so. Jack Kruise recommends up to 30 gr of carbs a day. I know I do my beast between 10-30carbs. And that's the number I must stick with during PMS (otherwise I am in trouble).

The big BAB breakfast is keeping me very full. Great!

Hope you got the job!

You know you can start leptin rest right away:)

jeaniem 08-15-2012 09:13 AM

I am fighting cravings from the carbs and haven't eaten yet, maybe I could do a really late BAB:laugh: How long do you wait before eating after waking up?
I might have to be at this job at 6:30 am and don't think I can force food that early, not really much of a morning eater at all normally.

tobelowcarber 08-15-2012 09:38 AM

I usually eat within 30 min of walking up. I am always hungry in the morning (maybe because I usually eat early dinner?) I can see how eating very early in the morning could be an issue if you have to be at work by 6:30. I usually eat between 7-8 AM. I think it is better to do late BAB then not do BAB at all. Try to have you favorite protein in the morning to make it easier.

According to Jack Kruse we should eat within 30 min of walking up. In Mastering Leptin book (they don't say nothing about eating within 30 min, they just say to have high protein breakfast). I do trust Jack Kruse more. I was not crazy about lots of things mentioned in Mastering Leptin book.

But I still feel it is better to have late BAB then not have it at all. Maybe you can skip lunch (if you have late breakfast).

jeaniem 08-15-2012 10:02 AM

When I tried LR before it was usually about an hour after waking up before I ate and I always skipped lunch and then had an earlier dinner. It worked for a while and then I started getting this weird hunger about an hour after the huge breakfast and before I knew it I was binging. I did better mixing some carbs in with the BAB, but don't remember if that was okay or not?

tobelowcarber 08-15-2012 10:06 AM

I am not sure about the carbs with BAB. But if that worked for you before maybe try it with little carbs but still have large protein. I will go back to Kruse's website and see if recommends carbs with BAB. Will let you know if I find something.

tobelowcarber 08-15-2012 11:38 AM

This is from Jack Kruse website:

MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION - Jack Kruse

"A. Try to eat as soon as possible upon rising in the morning, ideally within 30 minutes of waking. Make sure that breakfast has little to no carbs (less than 50 grams), and has a lot of protein and fat. I use as a general rule 50-75 grams of protein with most patients. Some patients can use less and some need more. The key point of knowing how much is right for you is your hunger later in the day. If you remain ravenous throughout the day, you need to eat more protein in the morning. If you can hold off eating until dinner you probably are at homeostasis for you. If you can skip both meals you likely are overdoing it at breakfast. As for sources, I suggest pastured or organic eggs first, served with left over dinner scraps of grass fed meats, poultry, or fish. A third option, although less ideal, would be whey protein or protein shakes.

B. Try to limit carb intake to 25 grams if you are overweight by more than 30 lbs. If you are fit and have a small amount of weight to lose, (less than 30 lbs.) you can titrate up your carb loads. Even then, I do not advocate potatoes or rice as some Paleo diets allow for. You will be able to eat them eventually, but try to avoid starches until you have mastered your cravings and hunger. Do not count calories; it is not needed at this point. Any time I eat carbs I use liberal amounts of butter, heavy cream, coconut or palm oil. I do not recommend other oils initially such as olive oils or industrial seed oils. I would also avoid nut oils at the initial stages. My personal favorite is coconut oil because of the great metabolic effects of MCT, and how it helps heal the guts of LR folks."

tobelowcarber 08-15-2012 12:29 PM

Skipped Lunch and ate early dinner at 3:30 PM. It looks like I am almost doing IF. I am just not hungry for lunch (which I normally eat between 12-1 PM). If I eat my lunch at 3 PM then the dinner will be too late.
I ate nice salad with lettuce, leftover roasted green beans, leftover turkey breast with mayo, mustard and olive oil. I hope I don't hungry in the evening. It worked yesterday, I was not hungry after my early dinner.

jeaniem 08-15-2012 01:09 PM

Thanks for the Kruse info Marika. Sounds like you had a good day!

I am fighting the urge to binge so badly! I already ate mini meatloaf and ground beef with cabbage and butter.:mad:

tobelowcarber 08-15-2012 03:20 PM

Oh Jeanie- STAY STRONG. You have been binge free for some many days. I am sure you don't want to un-do what you lost. Believe me, I fell horrible starting again, it is not fun. All the hard effort we put in and then we let it all go. It is not worth the few minutes of taste in your mouth. Please try to stay strong. Sending my good wishes and hugs your way :hugs:

jeaniem 08-15-2012 05:38 PM

Okay hold me accountable tomorrow! I ate everything that wasn't nailed down in the kitchen:eek: Yes you're right I don't want to undo everything I have worked for in the last month. I have to get it together starting right this minute ha ha easy to say now that I am stuffed to the gills!!

How did your early dinner work out?

tobelowcarber 08-16-2012 06:54 AM

Down 3.8 lb since Thursday. Still have 8 lb to go just to get to my previous weight of 10 days ago. I hope there is still water weight that has to go. I can't believe I am 133 today and only 10 days ago I was at 125 :(

I ate my "dinner" at 3:30 PM yesterday and was no hungry at all in the evening and even this morning I had really force myself to eat. I had egg salad with 6 HB eggs and 2 oz turkey breast with 2 Tbl homemade mayo for about 47 gr protein. I am packed:p The BAB breakfast is really working!!!!

I went for a 30 min walk on the beach. I need to get back to lifting weight pronto!

How are you doing today Jeanie? Hope you had a nice BAB and feeling better.

jeaniem 08-16-2012 08:57 AM

You're doing great Marika! I still haven't tried the BAB yet, way too full this morning from overeating last night. I am going to use today to get back on track and maybe try it tomorrow??
I am ABSOLUTELY NOT going to binge or overeat today!!! I have put back on 6 pounds too!
Why oh why do the pounds come back so quickly when it seems like it takes forever to lose a pound?

Be back tonight to check in and say I did well.

Have a great on plan day Marika!:hugs: