Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #631
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
I would never touch the imitation stuff either.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #632
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am starting to think that I may have an issue with dairy. I was happy eating my high protein for the past 3 days and today after lunch I started craving cottage cheese. I took 1/2 cup and than went for 1/2 cup of yogurt. Did not end there, I then wanted to have some blueberries with yogurt so I went for it. I am now craving honey and feel like I could eat more yogurt... so my body is either calling for carbs because I quit eating them 3 days ago and that's normal reaction or I am really addicted to dairy which in turn is increasing my desire for sweets. It is so confusing. I am just finishing my period so I don't know what's up with the cravings

My journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post16865441

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 07-10-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #633
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TA DA !!! DAIRY is the culprit...It is a darn yogurt that starts all my binging. I always go for yogurt first and from there it goes down hill. Why is it taking me so long to put all this together??? I just wrote a "book" below on the subject. I think I probably know all this subconsciously but because I am reacting to these foods I am binging on them. From what I read on food allergies and binging, we usually go crazy on foods we are allergic to. I had no reason to over-eat today, although I remember previously over-eating during TOM itself. I just ate 1 cup of blueberries, 1 mango, 2 bananas and 1 tbl honey in addition to 2 cups of yogurt and 1/2 c of cottage cheese I had 1/2 hr ago. Just slightly over my UD calories, but definitely high carb. Not a full blown binge, but if this was PMS I would be still eating.

No more yogurt and cottage cheese for me and here is why:

Many years ago, a naturopathic doc did some food allergies testing from my hair sample and I few foods shown I am allergic to (not really allergy per see, but sensitivity)
grapes, bananas, wine, yogurt, eggs and honey.
I quit eating these foods for a year and than I added them back in my diet when I started following SCD (specific carbohydrate diet ) for colitis combined with blood type diet. My colitis went into total remission. Even my GI could not believe it. Honey, eggs, bananas and yogurt were allowed on SCD so I started eating them again, as I was already restricting lots of foods. Eggs never caused any issues. When I added these foods I could see my colitis worsening so I gave up honey and was feeling good again. I never binged during PMS at that time, as I only ate 1/2 cup of yogurt a day and no honey.
I follow a blood type diet to the T (except for dairy and bananas), these two are not good for me. I limit everything else I am not supposed to eat for my blood type except for these 2 foods. I think this is were I am going wrong as both the hair analysis and blood type diet says not to have dairy and bananas. I think if I were to stop the dairy I would probably stop binging. Like I said it always starts with yogurt for me. I don't crave bananas or honey as much. I only crave them once I have some yogurt or cottage cheese.
It sounds simple now: give up dairy. Why am I having such a hard time with it? My body craves it because I am not supposed to eat it? Sounds wacky, but I guess that's how it is. I just have to add diary to one of the foods I am not eating. PERIOD!!!!

Jessica, I will have to join you on being dairy-free. But you do eat cheese, right? Oh, I can't even have that.

If this is going to help me with binging, I am giving up dairy altogether.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 07-10-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #634
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/116/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Well, it will be interesting to see if it is the dairy and whether it's grounded in an immunology problem or it reflects that some forms of dairy raise your blood sugar because of their high insulin index.

Keep us posted.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #635
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Well, I sure hope you have isolated the problem. It sounds like maybe you have and that is great. I'm sure you must feel a sense of relief to have just cracked the code. Good work!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #636
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Well, I sure hope you have isolated the problem. It sounds like maybe you have and that is great. I'm sure you must feel a sense of relief to have just cracked the code. Good work!
I do actually feel a sense of relief. Hope this is the answer, or a part of the answer at least!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #637
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know what's up. I slipped again and that's rare for me during TOM. I am trying to get into ketosis again but my body is fighting me. I guess, it's normal after ingesting so many carbs last week. This does not seems like right time to have low DDs. I need to raise my DD calories till I get into ketosis. I may have to do 800-1000 cal on DD. I don't want to stop JUDDD right now but definitely need to raise my DD to make this work for me.
Today, DD did not happened, so will do one tomorrow. BTW, the binge today started with fruits and than I dropped into bucket of yogurt (after promising myself I wont touch it). This is what you call insanity.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #638
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
I am doing dairy now, but of course will nix it next week when I do a 3 day m&e.

However back in May I did a Paleo challenge and cut out dairy for TWO weeks. I didn't really miss it that much, OK I did....but I was able to make it the 2 weeks without having any. I think I missed ranch dressing the most LOL....

I drank some coconut milk and almond milk, I used coconut and olive oils for cooking, and instead of topping things with cheese I used avocados and nuts and more herbs and different varieties of vinegar (like for salads, etc..). It was a challenge, and I have 2 toddlers so there was tons of milk, cheese, yogurt, etc all around me in the house.

I'm bummed if dairy really is the trigger for you, but at the same time I'm happy if you have found out what sends you down the binge spiral. It seems like anything associated with the yogurt and cottage cheese might also be a trigger though since today you started with fruit? Maybe you should make fruit smoothies with coconut milk- do you think that would satisfy the urge? Toss in some spinach or kale for added bulk and nutrients. Chugging one of those would fill my belly so good I wouldn't be able to fit anything else in.

Jessica
35yo Wife and Mother of two amazing kids (ages 2 & 4)

Visit my Journal - My So Called Low Carb Life
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #639
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Unfortunately, I can't have coconut milk. I could have almond milk but I think I am better off without the fruits, as the sugar in them makes me crave more sugar.

Trying to really stick with low carb now. Perhaps I need 2-3 weeks to get deeply into ketosis to get rid of the cravings. That's why I am raising DD calories. I know there will be days like today and I will be able to grab 2-3 HB eggs instead of reaching for low calories foods like fruits and will be able to keep it LC.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Oh bummer about the coconut milk! You poor thing :-( You really are limited. So are you going to just try and keep it m&e for a while?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #641
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/148.4/?
WOE: lc
Marika
I think you hit the nail on the head regarding dd calories, if you try to keep the calories too low you will probably not eat enough meat/eggs to lessen your appetite/cravings and get into ketosis. That is if you need the benefit of ketosis??
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #642
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicca View Post
Oh bummer about the coconut milk! You poor thing :-( You really are limited. So are you going to just try and keep it m&e for a while?
I think that's what I have to do. Maybe 1-3 days of meat and eggs and than will add few veggies and keep it at about 20-30 gr carbs.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #643
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Marika
I think you hit the nail on the head regarding dd calories, if you try to keep the calories too low you will probably not eat enough meat/eggs to lessen your appetite/cravings and get into ketosis. That is if you need the benefit of ketosis??
Thanks, Jeanie. I hope ketosis will keep my cravings at bay.

If I do 800 on DD and 1600 on UD- that comes down to 1200 cal/day
If I do 1000 on DD and 1600 on UD- that's comes down to 1300 cal/day

I can still lose with the above if I keep it LC. Perhaps because my DD calories will be higher, I may only need 1500 on UD. I will do this for 2 weeks and re-evaluate.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #644
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have my DD planned for tomorrow:
salmon, mayo, oopsie rolls- 860 cal
Old 07-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #645
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just found this forum where people eat zero carb. Some of them do this for years. Wow, I am amazed. The forum is called zeroinginonhealth
Old 07-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #646
Blabbermouth!!!

I think you're right on raising your DD calories on VLC. Especially if you're trying to up your fat calories. Isn't it grand that you can eat more fat to burn fat?

The zero carb thing would be HARD! I do love hard cheese, which does have a carb or 2. And veggies too.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #647
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm intellectually fascinated by the notion that some people eat 'zero carb' for years. I'm also intellectually and culturally freaked by the notion because it's such a challenge on so many levels that I can't begin to make sense of it.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #648
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know if I could do the zero carb long term. It is basically like meat & egg fast I have done previously. The longest I have done it was 2 weeks and I was getting edgy because PMS cravings were lurking and I was doing pretty low DD calories at that time. It would be a temporary thing to get rid of the cravings. I think after you eat zero carb, simple lettuce is a treat! I am trying to unlearn the sweet taste I crave. I do want to be back in place where I used to thrive on meat, veggies and fat. Right now I am still craving fruits.

I am looking forward to my higher DD today. I must do this right!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #649
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just binged!
Maybe I am experiencing diet fatigue. I don't want to count anymore. I just want to eat like a normal person and stop obsessing with carbs and calories.
I am taking a break from tracking and will try to eat intuitively. I am tried of restrictions. I can live with the weight I am at now even though it is not my ideal weight, but so be it.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #650
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Marika, I'm sorry the binge happened because they sound miserably uncomfortable - both during and after the event.

I wish above all that you have some peace of mind. If you can find that state for a breathing space and that's means diverting your attention elsewhere and loving your body as it is then that sounds as if it's the right thing to do.

I don't know if you're familiar with

Tim Minchin "Not Perfect"

- there are several performances on YouTube. It's rather haunting and lovely and very much in tune with what I'm trying to convey, particularly the section about living in his body. (During his London show, several women in the audience were sobbing during this section. Overall, it's humorous but parts of it are very affecting.)
Quote:
This is my body
And I live in it
It's [31 years and 6 months] old
It's changed a lot since it was new
It's done stuff it wasn't meant to do
I often try to fill it up with wine
And the weirdest thing about it is
I spend so much time hating it
But it never says a bad word about me

This is my body
And it's fine
It's where I spend the vast majority of my time
It's not perfect
But it's mine
It's not perfect...

This is my brain
And I live in it
It's made of love
And bad song lyrics
It's tucked away behind my eyes
Where all my [messed up] thoughts can hide
'Cos God forbid I hurt somebody
And the weirdest thing about a mind
Is that every answer that you find
Is the basis of a brand new cliché

This is my brain
And it's fine
It's where I spend the vast majority of my time
It's not perfect
But it's mine
It's not perfect
I'm not quite sure I've worked out how to work it
It's not perfect
But it's mine
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #651
Blabbermouth!!!

Hang in there Marika.

I hear you on the diet fatigue, right now I am not counting anything and still losing and going to bed full. There will come a time soon I am sure that in order to take off the last few pounds that I will have to track, but for now I like you just want to get the cravings under control by eating mostly meat and eggs without worrying about counts.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #652
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree that you need to take some pressure off yourself right now Marika. You've been trying so hard to figure this all out and get it under control. You may not be at your *ideal* weight, but you are so darn close and I know you must look fantastic. Relax and just be for awhile - you deserve that!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #653
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, my friends!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #654
Blabbermouth!!!

How are you doing tonight Marika?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #655
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jeanie, I am doing OK. Trying to shift my focus from food to exercise. I have really been slacking too much in that department. I am also trying EFT (emotional freedom technique-tapping on meridians points on the body). I have used EFT before in stressful situations and it worked wonders. I never tried it on food binging though so I have been doing lots of reading on it tonight).
Don't know what am I going to do with diet yet. I do like JUDDD and will probably do some version of it (4:3 or higher DD). I will stick with low carb, as it makes the most sense to me. I don't want to go ultra low-carb, eliminating to many food groups. I don't want to mess up my thyroid or adrenals.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #656
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It occurred to me that I have been completely slacking on eating vegetables. Last 2 months I have been eating way more fruits than veggies. Need to change it going forward.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #657
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got up to 137.2 today I am not surprised by that as I ate 2 bags of mac nuts in the past 2 days. Just mindlessly eating when I realized I screwed up so badly. I am scared to even think how many calories that it. I think there were 10 oz bags each, so that's 4000 cal (ouch!)

Tried EFT this morning and al the cravings went away. Just tapping on few points on the body while saying affirmation. It worked beautifully when I used it in the past in stressful situations but I never thought I can tap for cravings; till I found some info online. They cravings were not very strong today to begin with, but nonetheless I could feel the peace with myself.

I am eating some raw veggies today and they feel great (carrots and cucumber). It looks like today DD may happen naturally, if it goes like this. I would be very happy if I can JUDDD with higher DD calories. There is something about eating less that makes me feel great.
I will be prepping some veggies to go with meat for tomorrow. Will probably bake some butternut squash and eat big salad for lunch. I am looking at my menus from Jan and Feb when I ate more veggies. That's where I want to be again.

I wanted to exercise today but I am too tired after the carb bonanza plus I slept really poorly last night (I was too full)
Old 07-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #658
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

134.4 ok, the water weight is leaving

I have a new sense of hope. I believe I can do this. I believe I can say to no binging monster next time he knock on the door. I have been re-reading Brain Over Binge and hope the ideas are sinking in. I can be free from binging by separating myself from the primitive brain. I just have to listen, observe and not act upon its desires. When you able to resist the urge time after time the binging desire will weaken with time and will be gone for good. The more times you cave in, the further away you get from being able to stop the binging. I have seen in with myself. The binging is getting more intense each month. The idea is not to give in for even a small bite. I have to be on the constant alert. By now I know exactly which food will lead me into full blowned binge, so I can't have that 1 bite that my primitive brains is pushing me towards. It is only the first few bites that feel good and than it is mindless eating without the pleasure. I have the power to say NO. I AM in control.

Yesterday I had 700 cal DD and was satisfied. Today I am eating lots of veggies with my meat.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 07-14-2013 at 04:48 AM..
Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #659
Senior LCF Member

Just take it one day at a time. If the veggies feel great that's probably your body letting you know.

Glad the EFT is working for you, I know several peeps that use it for many things and have had success. Just goes to show how much are bodies and minds are in tune with each other on so many different levels.

Hope your weekend was good, glad that water weight is coming off. Just keep up the good work, listen to your body, breathe, and relax for a bit.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #660
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have no practical advice but your friends are here to listen - be well, Marika