Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #421
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
Thank you, Hope
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #422
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09

So sorry you are struggling. This is NOT so easy. I am yet again on the potato hack myself. Trying to tame the cravings. I really believe I am broken some how and don't understand it myself. Just have to keep trying things to find something that works.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #423
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Dawn.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopefulsweigh
Stats: 155/149/139
Start Date: JUDDD restart - January 2014
Hey Marika

Hope you are having a good week!
Hopefulsweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #425
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulsweigh View Post
Hey Marika

Hope you are having a good week!
Thanks for asking, Hope. Definitely better than last week.

I am doing 1-2 DD a week for now, to give myself a mental break. Also keeping it low carb. Induction carbs for now (20 net carbs) and will be climbing the latter to find that sweet spot on carbs that does not makes me go binging town. I think if bulk of my carbs come from veggies I can go up to 80 gr easily.

My biggest culprit in binging has been HONEY. I thought it was nuts. If the nuts are combined with honey than I am in trouble. I think I reach for honey because it gives me instant sugar boost and then I can't control myself. I put the honey on yogurt and can eat two 32 oz of greek yogurt in one seating and than I reach for nuts and make nuts butter with honey in food processor. This has to stop!!!
I asked DH to stop using honey in his tea (I took him of sugar few years back), and now I am requesting him to skip the honey for my own good I don't want this stuff in the house till I am strong enough. I think few solids months on low carb should set me from cravings.

My journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post16865441

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 05-22-2013 at 05:52 PM..
Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/116/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
All I can hear in my head is an advertising style jingle for crunchy nut flakes coated with honey. In the UK the slogan is, "So delicious you won't be able to stop". This seems to be true for a number of people I know, which makes a mockery of the 30g serving size.

Odd isn't how you learn it isn't necessarily a foodstuff that is problematic but the way it's prepared. I can't eat much plainly prepared potato but I could eat an entire roasting pan of crunchy roast potato.

Good luck with your DH.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
All I can hear in my head is an advertising style jingle for crunchy nut flakes coated with honey. In the UK the slogan is, "So delicious you won't be able to stop". This seems to be true for a number of people I know, which makes a mockery of the 30g serving size.

Quote:
Odd isn't how you learn it isn't necessarily a foodstuff that is problematic but the way it's prepared. I can't eat much plainly prepared potato but I could eat an entire roasting pan of crunchy roast potato.
Totally amazing.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:35 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member

I'm doing the same right now in terms of keeping carbs low. I'm starting at less than 25 net grams of carb per day then will limb the carb ladder as well.

I hope this kills the cravings for you TBL.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #429
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Having a hard time getting back on low carb train. I had a surgery 2 days ago to remove uterine polyps and maybe it is the medication they gave me in the IV (I had a general anesthesia), I am craving carbs like crazy (yes, it is also PMS). My weight went up like 4 lbs overnight. TOM is due any time, but because of the surgery it may be lighter or delayed. I hope the polyps removal will regulate my cycles. My doc told me the removal may regulate my cycles. I hope so. I have always been irregular and dealing with longer than normal PMS time is only making my PMS binging longer than it needs to be. I am still feeling tired after the surgery so I am staying home and eating way too much. I can't lift heavy stuff for the next 2 weeks, so will only do some gentle walking next week.
I was trying to have DD today, but it is not happening. I have been eating nothing but carbs today. I am sick the way they make me feel. I know once the TOM arrives the desire for carbs will disappears. I just have to finally get this under control. I think staying as long as I can low carb will eventually stop the cravings. My problem is I can do this great for 2 weeks and boom stupid PMS arrives and all the control is out of the window. I think I just have to white knuckle it, but it is so tough. It seems like every month my PMS is out of control. It never used to be this way. Yes, I had cravings but not every single time. Maybe it is the pre-menopausal stage. I know I need to get this resolved. It is time to seriously start looking for a doc who is into bio-available hormones. Right now I am felling discouraged but I know I wont give up. I am going to get better. Life is not all about carbs. They can not rule my life.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #430
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marika, do look after yourself. I'm not surprised you're craving carbs after a general anaesthetic.

Be well and take the necessary downtime to recover.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #431
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Marika. Your body has been through a trauma, and now is the time to be gentle with both your body and your mind. Don't even worry or think about what you eat for a couple of days. Just eat what feels good and heal. There will be plenty of time to get back on plan once your back on your feet. Don't add diet stress to it all, please!

Take care of yourself!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #432
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Marika, do look after yourself. I'm not surprised you're craving carbs after a general anaesthetic.

Be well and take the necessary downtime to recover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Marika. Your body has been through a trauma, and now is the time to be gentle with both your body and your mind. Don't even worry or think about what you eat for a couple of days. Just eat what feels good and heal. There will be plenty of time to get back on plan once your back on your feet. Don't add diet stress to it all, please!

Take care of yourself!
Thank you!!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, I took your advise my friends and just went under the blanket to read a book. I will be making my favorite low carb dinner tonight: baked wild salmon and cauliflower. Thank you for your concern
Old 05-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #434
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/149/?
WOE: lc
Hope you are feeling better soon Marika.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #435
Senior LCF Member

Enjoy the book.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #436
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Hope you are feeling better soon Marika.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulsweigh View Post

Enjoy the book.
Thanks, girls!

Feeling better this morning.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #437
Senior LCF Member

Be kind to yourself this weekend!

Glad to see you are doing better!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #438
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

360 degree turn as TOM arrived this morning. It is mind boggling how the hormones can switch my appetite button on and off in an instant. No desire to eat carbs today. Amazing! So basically I am a hormonal binger. I don't have a binging problem any other time of the month. Which is a good thing, I guess. I don't have a binging problem, I have hormonal imbalance that makes me binge for at least a week of every cycle. None of the diets I tried (JUDD or Atkins) are responsible for my binging. I can very easily do JUDD for the next 2 weeks. I can very easily stick to low carb as well. I will lose the weight again. I have 2 weeks window to that that and than what? That's the million dollar question??? I keep on repeating the same behavior over and over again. Why, because I don't have an answer to correct this. Each month I pray and hope that this cycle of binging will not repeat itself but I need to take some steps to prevent or at least make it less severe.

What will be different this this time? Well...I have few ideas...

-First off, I hope that the polyps removal will have a positive impact on my hormones. I don't know how soon will it happen, though

-NO HONEY- I said this many times and but never followed through. This time I have to be diligent to completely stop the honey.

-NO NUTS (just yet)- probably would be fine with nuts if I don't combine it with honey, but I am loving the taste of nuts too much and they can be a slippery slope into binge

-Yogurt- on it own is OK. It is when I add the honey to it, I can't stop eating it

-Back in February and March I ate good amount of carbs from veggies and my PMS was not bad at all (couple of UUAD and was back to normal), so I will try this again. Berries are also OK. They are not sweet enough to make me crave. Anything with sweet taste (like honey) makes me unstoppable. Bananas are also problematic. Apples are OK occasionally.

-JUDD during first half of the cycle is a breeze. Maybe during second half I can do 1-2 DD a week and increase calories. If I am still craving carbs during next PMS, I will just eat more protein and fat even if my day becomes UUAD (calories wise). The worst thing I can do is to have UUAD filled with carbs and fat, because I can't stop once I have carbs in my body.

-I think it is OK to have some UD and DD with higher calories

- I am going to start taking chromium. I am debating if I should try pstorblene (I can't spell this for my life), I am little afraid of headaches this may give. I should probably try and see.

I need to come back to this list in 2 weeks from now and read it and absorb it again. Today when my hormones are cooperating all of these points seem like no brainer

Today my weight is 132.2 and I am doing DD.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 05-25-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Old 05-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #439
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Since eating high protein breakfast did not help with binge, from now on, If I am not hungry in the morning, I will skip the breakfast. I am also starting to count net carbs only.

Today's menu:
B: skipped
L: 8.85 oz baked sole, streamed spinach, medium apple 230/17 nc
D: 7.4 oz baked sole, steamed brussels sprouts 264/9 nc

total 596 cal/26 nc
Old 05-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #440
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh boy. The excess carbs are still in my system and are giving me cravings for carbs. I should not have had the apple with lunch. I think I need to get back to basics for few days (very low carb). Disappointing! Will I ever be able to eat carbs like normal people do?
Carbs are like drugs to some people and I must be on the them. Now I need to detox. I should stick to my name "tobelowcarber" so that I don't have to detox my body. I don't think it is healthy to go from high to no carbs.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 05-25-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Old 05-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #441
Blabbermouth!!!

Marika, you're doing great getting this all figured out. I'm hoping your surgery will help with not only your TOM issues, but also maybe with some of your cravings/bingeing issues. I think your identifying your triggers is huge, and just not having them around will help immensely.

By the way, I so admire you diligence and that you're just not willing to give up on figuring it out. You're a superhero! Where's the smiley with a cape when you need it?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, LCG. While the day did not progress they way I wished, I am still learning from my mistakes and hope to get this right soon
Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #443
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I came across Paleo for Women blog and found some interesting information, regarding carbs:

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The whole point being that carbohydrates are not just okay but important. For women who have appetite control problems, sugar addictions, and a lot of weight to lose, absolutely I believe a low-carbohydrate diet can do them wonders. For women who struggle with menstruation, fertility, stress, exercise performance, or stress, along with any other hormonal oddities, carbohydrates help assure the woman’s body that she is healthy and fed. This is crucial for reproductive health.

In all cases, diet is a matter of personal physiology and experimentation. If a woman’s body works better on carbs, she should eat them, and delight in those joys rather than worry needlessly. At the very least, they are not harmful, and at their best, they are life saving.

Carbohydrates to eat:

I recommend glucose-containing carbohydrates rather than fructose for a wide variety of reasons, least of which are appetite control, liver function, and the prevention of metabolic syndrome. Many studies seem to be indicating that fructose is the real culprit in all of these problems. Glucose, on the other hand, when eaten absent of fructose has real satiating power.

I also recommend starchy glucose, since it is a “complex carbohydrate” and is broken down more slowly during digestion, which prevents blood sugar from rising or dropping too sharply.

Of course, grain-based carbohydrates are a no.

Finally, I recommend carbohydrates that contain nutrients over empty carbohydrates.

This means that I recommend eating:

Starchy tubers such as sweet potatoes, batata, jerusalem artichoke, cassava, tarot, and bamboo. Regular potatoes are fine, too, but they contain fewer vitamins than their sweet counterparts. Of the sweet potatoes, Japanese sweet potatoes are the most delicious, in my opinion, followed by white sweet potatoes and then yams and regular orange sweet potatoes.

For fruits, I recommend berries and cherries, which contain more glucose than fructose, and also bananas, which are pure 100 calorie glucose bombs.

Both white and brown rice are fine, but are fairly nutrient-poor. Brown rice contains anti-nutrients in it’s shell, so white rice is more innocuous in terms of nutrient absorption.

Vegetables of course are great, but they do not count for carbohydrate consumption. I know that much of carbohydrate content is indeed processed as glucose, but much of it is also tied up in fiber, which is broken down and turned into short-chain fatty acids by gut bacteria. For this reason, vegetables alone cannot make up a woman’s carbohydrate consumption. Instead, starchy tubers and low-fructose fruits work the best.

How much to eat:

For a woman recovering from stress, metabolic distress, and hypothalamic amenorrhea, I recommend eating between 100-200 g/day. That goes for athletes as well. And for pregnant women. At least 100 g/day.

Moreover, carbohydrates taken later in the day help with insulin sensitivity (since that gives the body the longest amount of time throughout a 24 hour period to operate at low insulin and leptin levels). They also, anecdotally, help put people to sleep.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #444
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am having a lousy day. My period is very light. My OBGYN told me that first period might be light, as during the surgery the scrape the lining of the uterus. My cravings always used to go away after TOM arrived but today I am carb eating machine, like if I was still PMSing. I can't even think of eating any proteins, all I want is carbs. Hopefully tomorrow I will change my mind.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #445
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/149/?
WOE: lc
I know how you feel Marika. I know I am craving because I have had the carbs but I am not enjoying the protein and am not satisfied after eating which leads me to eat even more carbs. I know I need to stop the cycle but I don't know how
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #446
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jeanie- the carbs can really mess up our brains. I think the more often we binge the more addicted we become. But I know we CAN over-come this.
I know I still love protein (thanks god). It is only on the day when I ingest too many carbs that I can't stand the smell or look of protein.

I was re-reading Atkins 72 yesterday and that's where I need to start again. I will now be focusing on getting into ketosis and staying there without counting the calories, so no JUDD. That's the only thing I know that works for me. So I will be doing the Atkins by the book (adding carbs in increments), and definitely not staying in induction too long. When I did meat and eggs fast recently I lasted 2 weeks and than I had this carb reefed day- Big mistake, carb re-feeds don't work for someone who binges on carbs and especially when the re-feed coincided with PMS. The meat and egg was also too restrictive with no salad or veggies. I lost 9 lb in 2 weeks but gained all
plus more because of the re-feed. I know if I stuck with it without re-feed and ate more veggies I would have been in different place today.

I have a feeling that I will need at least 10 months on atkins to cure my body from binging. The longer I stay binge-free the weaker the desire for carbs will be, eventually completely gone. The key is to start adding carbs beyond the induction level so that the diet is not too strict and too boring and easy to manage. If I can eat variety of veggies with my protein I should be a happy camper. I have to say good bye to honey, nuts and perhaps yogurt. Honey was never on allowed atkins list (it is no different than a sugar). How did I sneak this in and got myself addicted to it? Sometimes I feel like a brown bear feeding on honey for the incoming winter

Today I am making mayo, boiling eggs, de-frosting meat, washing lettuce, planning my favorite dishes, etc. I am reading "The End of Overeating" and hope to learn something from this book.

I AM READY TO DO THIS RIGHT.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 05-26-2013 at 04:07 AM..
Old 05-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #447
Blabbermouth!!!

You can do this Marika. I don't have a doubt. I just love Atkins, and I still feel so good when I keep low carb. It'll do you good. I was do enthralled by hearing about your meat and egg plan, and the losses you had, I was thinking of trying something like that myself. For now, I'll stay on JUDDD and see what happens through next TOM and if I need to, I'll think about it then. You're going to do this!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #448
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
You can do this Marika. I don't have a doubt. I just love Atkins, and I still feel so good when I keep low carb. It'll do you good. I was do enthralled by hearing about your meat and egg plan, and the losses you had, I was thinking of trying something like that myself. For now, I'll stay on JUDDD and see what happens through next TOM and if I need to, I'll think about it then. You're going to do this!
Thank you sweetie! I am so happy to see your are losing on higher DD calories. That's FANTASTIC! I think meat & egg fast is great once an a while to shake things up.

I had a good day today. At one point the desire to binge on yogurt and honey came back and I was really worried but I killed it quickly by eating some meat. Today I ate egg salad with homemade mayo on oppsie rolls and some lamb kebabs.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 05-26-2013 at 01:55 PM..
Old 05-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #449
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A day at a time seems to be the way to count your personal victories at present. You have my best wishes that your yoghurt and honey free days continue for as long as you choose.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #450
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Marika - sometimes shaking things up is just what the body needs. Glad you are recovering nicely after surgery. Surgery is very hard on a person's body!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote