LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Ichiban begunjo on the trail to goal

How do you start a new journal...very carefully. Today is the day that I start recording my thoughts on my trip to goal as I've been threatening to do so for a very long time. BUT, it may be hard to do in such a public forum; however, I've been on LCF's for a very long time and feel I have a lot of friends here, so maybe it'll be okay...

First, Ichiban begunjo....first class foreign warrior woman...as an SFC serving in Japan, my business cards were engraved with the kanji that caused everyone to laugh and it took a lot of time for someone to explain the meaning...and I took it as a compliment when I finally understood. I loved Japan and one of my dreams is to return there and what better reward for meeting my weight goal is to see that dream come true. So, when I reach my goal, it's a trip back to the Kanto Plain and view the Buddha at Kamakura again...I hope I can find my friends when I return.

Just before I retired from the Army, I quit smoking after 35 years of puffing the Marlboros...well, that begins my weight loss journey, with a gain of 40 pounds. Yep, I allowed myself to put on weight to break the habit. Well, to be honest, it was more than just quitting the tobacco, I retired, moved back home to Las Vega, and couldn't get an interview for a job...eating in restaurants, under stress because we were trying to buy a house, but couldn't get a loan without the job and couldn't even get an interview...

Finally, on the day my husband was retiring and joining me, they were packing out his stuff, I found out that government service was cracking open the door to the job of my dreams. I called the DH and explained this but that I was very happy in Vegas. I had a part time job that brought in a few bucks, taking classes at UNLV, and we had given up on buying...He really put it into perspective when he said that I was in a win-win situation. If I was selected for the job, I would love it but if I didn't apply, I'd always kick myself for not trying. If I wasn't selected, we had a life together that was very satisfactory....needless to say, I applied, was accepted and put in 15 years in the best job in the whole wide world.

So we spent the last 17 years getting fatter and fatter and less active...now he's gone and I'm alone but trying to get myself back into better condition. I went to Curves for Women for four years and am considering going back there as I know I have to get the body moving. I think that's one of the reasons I spent 22 years in the service as I need that first sergeant standing over me telling me that I have to do it....I'm motivated by external media and have very little self-motivation. Is that an excuse...of course. I have pushed myself in a lot of things and the 22 years in the Army proves that.

So, I allowed myself to grow to 220 pounds and now have started the journey to lose it. I have finally reached ONEderland when the scale hit 198 last week. The first time in decades. I've been a low carber, off and on, for a long time. First discoverred Atkins back in the '80's and at one time, DH lost 40 pounds and I lost and regained 25 after he quit the diet. I have finally gotten tired of losing, then finding, the same ten pounds. I've taken nutrition classes so I'm aware of what the "experts" say we must eat....an expert = a drip under pressure...I've got most of the diet books and have tried them all; Weight Watchers, Atkins, Protein Power, South Beach, Eat for your blood type, etc, etc, etc...

I'm 71, was married to the same man for 50 years, retired and dang tired of dieting...I know that calling it dieting is wrong anf I've mentally made the transition to calling it a way of eating and the way of life...but I think I've found what will be for me, my WOE...I started my trip to goal on June First and lost 12 pounds and a total of 7.5 inches (overall) in the first month of JUDDD...Johnson's Up Day-Down Day Diet. My losses have slowed this month, but still I hit ONEdeland and that's my first goal...So I celebrate that. My next goal is 185 pounds...that's where I become merely "overweight" not obese. I'll be setting up "mile markers" much like that on the AlCan Highway, and set minor and major goals and rewards along the way.

I guess that will do it for tonight, chapter 2 tomorrow...

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 07-16-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Day 2 - 17 July 2012

Well, no responses but the ticker shows that people have checked it out…but that’s okay as I’m writing this for myself anyway…

My weight has bothered me for years and I rarely look into mirrors and never have pictures taken of me. I always look at the person there and wonder first who it is and second how I let myself get into this situation. I know better; the Army taught me to take care of my body and my studies have shown that it is necessary. I’m glad I woke up and am now making the changes; just hope it’s not too late. I have to believe that it isn’t.

So, as I said, I got tired of losing and regaining the same ten pounds which has been my procedure for years. I decided this was it…I have only myself to think of and only myself to blame if things go wrong. I hit 220 pounds during May and started doing what I’ve done in the past…low carbing, Atkins-style. I was pretty good about sticking to the plan and lost six pounds but was getting tired of the restrictions and put a couple of pounds back on…my moa. I knew there had to be a way I could hold myself accountable and through my friends on the Low Carb Friends website, I started checking other ways of eating.

It wasn’t long before I discovered JUDDD, The Dr. Johnson’s Alternate Day Dieting, and was interested in the science behind the diet as it really has little to do with dieting, but developing a hormone to help longevity and health…the weight loss is a side-effect. I got the book and was actually disappointed in it as Dr. J. doesn’t really answer the questions and he still uses the old 3500 calorie equals a pound myth which has been disproved by so many researchers. Fortunately, the JUDDD Buddds on LCF more than made up for the lack of information. I really think that the folks on that forum are the guinea pigs that are proving the truth of this way of eating. Some have been doing this for a long time and are still maintaining after having lost lots of pounds.

The basic premise is intermittent fasting…Dr. J, says that to maintain your weight you eat a certain limit of calories, in my case about 1700 kcals per day…so on alternate days, you eat 20, 25, 30, up to 35 percent of those calories and eat normally the next day. So, in my case, 350 calories is my goal on Down Days, DD’s. The body does not go into starvation mode because the next day it gets the normal supply. He found that most people could lose weight by maintaining the DD’s below 500 kcals and up to 2000 on the UD’s. He also states that after a couple of weeks on this diet, a gene is activated, SIRT1 (Silent Information Regulators). “…because they appear to sense the levels of particular substances in the body and turn on downstream chemical reactions that regulate the manner in which we respond to these substances on a cellular level. (The Alternate Day Diet, pg 61) Studies have shown that this gene is activated in animals on a calorie-restricted diet and they lose weight and are less affected by stress. Interesting premise and based on my buddds on LCF, I thought I’d try it…

So I started on June 1st and found that it really is an easy woe to stick to. The doctor suggests that during an induction phase, people restrict themselves to a liquid protein supplement. Knowing myself, tho’, I knew I need something solid in the stomach, and so I started researching low calorie foods to eat on the DD’s and found there are a lot. This is a rather new thought to me as I have not bought into the low calorie dieting in a long time. I found three important things to this WOE; you have to plan your day’s food intake, stay active to take your mind off food, and have easy go-to recipes on DD’s really helps…same food keeps the body from craving something new…here’s a link to one of my threads on the JUDDD forum More DD Suggestions

I was elated to lose 12 pounds the first month; better yet, though, is the 7.5 inches I’ve lost. I knew pounds lost are only one indication of losing and taking the measurements is a better indicator of how you are doing in weight loss. I expected the loss to slow during the second month as the body adjusted to its new form and it has…but I have lost an additional four pounds in the first couple of weeks and hit the magic, for me, number of 198…for the first time in decades. I find it hard to believe that I am only six weeks into this WOE and feel sure this will be mine for the rest of my life.

I’ve found a few bonuses I didn’t expect…I sleep better, have more energy, and the DD’s are not that bad…there is one saying with JUDDD – Tomorrow is another day…I guess that will do it for today…more tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My goodness, here it is three months later and I've not posted in all that time. I've got to play catchup but don't have the time right now, so I'll type it later. I've reached my first goal of 185, well, almost...I hit but am bouncing, so I can't really claim it. Weight loss has slowed and I'm reviewing how I've changed the woe over the months and finding lots of ways I've changed...tell ya later, journal.

Needless to say it's be a good time for me. My energy is high and emotionally I'm on track. So much to say and do as I'm really on my way.

Last edited by Mssarge; 10-20-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
WTG Mary! With that positive attitude, you will be there in no time! JUDDD rocks!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whoa!!! a whole year later, much to catch up on

But will take it slowly. It's been a long strange trip this year.

Let me give a little info on what type of a year it's been. First, I had cataract surgery in November 2012...the surgery from H-E-double hockey sticks to coin an old phrase. What is normally a 15-20 minute surgery turned into a three-hour ordeal. Seems like my cataract (right eye and the dominant one) was so hard it kept breaking the device that breaks up the cataract...they had to change the device so many times they had to send to the stockrooms to get more, and likewise for the medication they use in the eye to keep it moist, or whatever. Three different surgeons had their way with me, and heaven knows what they did with the other patients that were scheduled in that OR for the day.

The surgery was just the beginning as it was back to the doc's in ever decreasing increments...after a year, I got a three-month reprieve between appointments. My eyesight has finally improved to the point that I'm (almost) comfortable driving at night. Of course, the eye doc is probably as tired of seeing me as I am of seeing his office. He's commented (favorably) on my using every available moment for reading as I learned in the Army to always carry a book with me, cause it's always "hurry up and wait."

In addition to poor eyesight (or because of it) my balance seemed to be getting worse. I fell a couple of times (and at my age it was relief not to break anything) and many days it looked as tho' I was drunk (weaving around and stumbling over a dime I dropped), I used my cane to make sure I didn't fall again and was seriously thinking of using Don's walker. Needless-to-say, I stayed pretty close to home and any exercise plans I had went out the window.

I decided early on that it would be foolish for me to add stress to my life and decided I would not try to lose any more weight. I had dropped from 220 pounds to 183 with a BMI of 28.66 since June 3rd. That BMI moved me from the obese to overweight and I really was moving more comfortably. I had started sorting through my closets and giving my "fat clothes" away...I am never going to be that large again.

More on this long strange trip later, but I need to add that during this year-long weight management period, I have continued to lose...not much, but today I started this month at 171 pounds, with a BMI of 26.7. So still a long way to go, but better...next, I decided November First it was time to get back on the horse and finally lose the next 40 pounds...well, we'll see how that goes as well as what else 2013 has brought me.