LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babette Robinson
Stats: 311/250/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 04-16-12
Babette's Journey

I decided to start a journal ... it's a good place to have everything written down in one spot!!

Let's see ... my diagnoses are as follows:

Hypothyroidism, Diabetes Type II, IBS, Gastroparesis, Lactose Intolerant, Tinnitus (both ears - constant), Bursitis (left hip), Advanced Disk Degeneration (L4, L5) in my lower back, Neuropathy in both feet.

I'm currently taking the following scripts daily:

Liothyronine Sod (Cytomel) 50 MCG; 1x daily
Levothyroxine (Synthroid) 300 MCG; 1x daily
Glimepiride 4 MG; 1x daily
Metformin - 1500, (500 in AM and 1000 in PM)
Humalog Mix 75/25 - 24 units; 2x daily
Vitamin D 50,000 units; 1x week
Gabapentin (Neurontin) 300 MG; 1-3x daily

I'm also prescribed the following to take when needed (which I rarely take as I don't like being on more meds that necessary:

Metoclopramide (Reglan) 10 mg; up to 4x daily
Tramadol HCL ER 200 mcg (1x daily when used)
Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) 10 mg;
Amitiza 24 MCG

I also started taking supplements after readings Adkin's book:

CoQ10 - 100 mg
L-Carnitine - 1000 mg
ALA - 600 mg
Magnesium - 250 mg
Chromium Picolinate - 1000 mg
Zinc Picolinate - 20 mg
Vanadium - 250 mg
Vitamin C - 500 mg

After meeting with a new Endo and discovering that I had "inched" my way back up to 311 and learning that my A1C was 10.7 - I knew I had to do something. From Jan 30th until April 16th I lost 17 pounds on low fat/low cal diet (this took 10 weeks). I was pretty miserable "diet wise" and my sugars hadn't gotten much lower at all.

So, on 4/16 I decided to try Adkins. Low fat was not making my numbers fall fast enough or low enough ... so I thought, "well, I'll give his a fair shot .. I'll try it for 3 months." To my surprise ... my A1C went down to 7.7 within 2 weeks of doing Adkins!! I knew I was on to something now and I wasn't going to look back! Weightloss was just an added bonus when I started; of course now I'm looking forward to losing all this weight and becoming a healthy new me. On Adkins I've lost 14.6 pounds in 5 weeks!!

Start Weight - 311 on Jan 30th
(Ten Weeks to lose 17 pounds on low cal/low fat diet)

Start Adkins on 4/16 - 294
4/23 - 290 (-4.0)
4/30 - 286.4 (-3.6)
5/07 - 282.8 (-3.6)
5/14 - 283.8 (+1.0)
5/21 - 279.4 (-4.4)

Grand Total Lost On Adkins = 14.6 (in 5 Weigh In's)

Total lost = 31.6

I'm seriously thrilled to say that my numbers are even BETTER than when my A1C was 7.7 ... I really wouldn't be surprised if when I test again I'll have dropped a couple of more points! I'm looking forward to getting off meds - in particular I'd like to stop taking Glimerpiride (Amaryl) as I'm not happy with what I've read about it. Of course, I'll be happy to start reducing my insulin as well! I'm in no hurry to get rid of Metformin though - that can be the last to go!

Here's the last week of blood sugar numbers:

5/23
fasting - 144
after meal - 106

5/22
fasting - 109
after meal - 146
after meal - 104

5/21
fasting - 129
after meal - 142
after meal - 130

5/20
fasting - 165
after meal - 130
after meal - 105

5/19
fasting - 143
after meal - 85
after meal - 90

5/18
fasting - 148
after meal - 116
after meal - 104

5/17
fasting - 137
after meal - 122
after meal - 94

5/16
fasting - 179
after meal - 106
after meal - 119

As you can see, my Fasting BS is still a problem. I have noticed though that if I can get to sleep early (before midnight) then my Fasting BS is much lower (such as yesterday). This is something I'm working on as both my husband and I are very much night owls. My Endo said I shouldn't worry too much about the fasting BS ... but I do. But heck, when I first started out my numbers were in the 300's - so yeah, much better!!

About me ... I love to read, be creative, cook, shop, spend time with friends, treasure hunt (as in yard sales/thrift stores) .. and the only exercise I truly like is swimming. I am, though, thinking of starting some sort of weight training (since I've read this is good for me). I've also joined a TOPS group with my friend (she's also doing low carb) as another source of support and encouragement. I'm also very lucky that my husband is also following Adkins - so there are no issues at home!

Well, I guess I've written enough of a book for now! Looking forward to meeting folks and working together towards a healthy way of life!
Babette Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Babette, I found your journal, so the link works! I have Hypothyroidism also plus Lupus and Depression. So I know it makes it a little harder but you can do it! I like to tell people when I go to their meetings and present my story that there are no excuses. I take quite a bit of medication so you just have to see what works for you to lose. Low carb is the only thing that works for me and that I can do forever. I have been doing it for 5 1/2 years now and love it. I did do it before and lost but relied on all the low carb products and this time I am eating real food. I am so happy you have joined us on the TOPS thread.

I like a lot of the same things as you. I love to garage sale/thrift store treasure hunt, read and do lots of crafts. I knit, crochet, quilt, etc.

Our group is here for you on this journey. You can do it!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Yay! You found me!! Yes, more diseases make for more issues ... but honestly, I KNOW that this is the way for me. I'm so impressed with my blood sugar numbers and can't wait to get a total blood work screen in July. My last TSH was 0.796 ... so I'm told that this is good; but my body has been known to play tricks on me and decide all of sudden that it's not gonna work! lol

I haven't gotten any low carb products (except for flax meal, almond meal, liquid splenda) - basically just cooking! But I figure if this is how I'm going to be eating, I need to be cooking this way. I should say though .. sometimes it would be nice not to have to think or do so much! lol lol

I made a quilt once a long time ago ... that's work! lol But they are so pretty when done!!

Thanks again for the support!! xoxo
Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

WEIGH IN DAY: I lost another 3.2 pounds!! Yay me!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
congratulations! You are on a roll. KUTGW!
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maryrickabaugh
Stats: 221/209.8/150
WOE: Lower carb(<30 net)/less processed
Start Date: October 2013
Thank you SO much for sharing!! You are a wonderful, wonderful inspiration and encouragement to me!!

I struggle with a lot of the same medical issues. I am 42 and @ 4'11" currently weigh 249. I lost my husband of almost 26 years last year and I'm still trying to struggle out of my depression. My husband was always on me to start taking care of myself and I just always had things I thought were more important at the time, kids, home, work, just LIFE. But now it's possibly my life on the line.

My last labs (in June) results showed an A1C of 15.4. That number and my blood sugars have been consistently high for years and now as a result I have been put on medication (lisinopril) for showing signs of kidney damage.

I'm still adjusting and learning about this new WOE and making changes to get fully on board but following your posts sharing about your successes, advice and stumbles mean so much! I thank you!

Take Care!

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."- Aristotle

Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. - Emily Bronte
maryrickabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote