LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maximoon
Stats: 165-170/155/151, 5'8"
WOE: No sugar, no flour diet
Start Date: April 2012
Way to Go!

I just wanted to stop by and say CONGRATS on your accomplishments thus far: you are doing FABULOUSLY!

I really enjoy reading your journal, especially your honesty in telling it the way it is. I hope you have a good weekend and look forward to reading more about your journey. GREAT JOB!

Maxi
Maximoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nikkiluvslowcarb
Stats: 315 /164.4/ 155
WOE: WW Points Plus
Start Date: June 7th 2011
Congrats! You are doing great!!
nikkiluvslowcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JCWANNABE
Stats: 289/257/135 5'5"
Start Date: April 18th, 2012
Awwwww!!!! Thanks guys!

Ok, I need a favor, so I am posting this. I am going to go out for dinner to a restaurant for the first time since starting lc. I need you guys to keep me accountable for what I eat there! In the past going out to restaurants has always been a "hey, what the heck" diet derailing experience. I know I can do it, and a lot easier on atkins than on WW (not that I want to discourage any of my weight loss buddies, whatever their woe is )

So I'm thinking......STEAK!!

I'm going to try to look at the menu online so that I am prepared before I start to smell and see all the food I can't have.

Gotta stay strong!

I'm really glad we get to go out tonight. My hubby uncharacteristically asked if I had started dinner yet when he called to tell me he was on his way home from work, and when I said I had not (yeah, not really feeling that functional today, but hey, at least I got a bunch of housework done Well, a bunch being a relative phrase anyway ) he surprisingly suggested we go out. So here I sit waiting for him to get out of the shower so we can go.

Think low carb thoughts for me! (steak, steak, steak)

By the way, we are probably going to Applebees. Anybody have a fave low carb dish there?
JCWANNABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

VICTORY!

I did good at applebees, even if the cook did not. I ordered the double barrel wisky sirloins with extra veggies instead of potatoes and a Cesar salad with no croutons. Even totally starving by the time the food came the entree tasted really bad and I sent it back. Which is something I like NEVER do. I am a total salt fiend and it was almost too salty for ME; that's saying something! I ordered the sirloin with garlic herb shrimp. It was ok. Their brushetta that they put on top sucked.

Oh, and I did have about 3 little sips of my hubbies beer. It was a 21st amendment IPA that rocked! I miss good beer I know that there is low carb beer out there. But to me, I would rather poke my eyes out than drink some budweiser like yellow fizzy bland swill.

I should probably put the disclaimer in here that I am a snob in two areas: Beer and steak. My husband is a homebrewer and makes totally rock'n beer. We do beer and food pairing like wine and food pairing. We go to craft beer festivals and are the people sniffing, swerling, peering at and then taking a drink before pausing with thoughtful looks on our faces for 15 to 30 seconds before making a long drawn out statement about depth, boquet, clarity, yeasty backs, hop favor and bitterness balance..... Yadda yadda yadda.

Well, my husband makes the beer, I make the steak. And we probably take it just about as seriously. So, my standards for steak are, um , a bit different than most. I have yet to go to any restaurant that I think makes better, or close to as good as, steak than I do. But, I go to reastaurants when I can because I like to try to get out of cooking as much as I can! So really, if I don't have to cook it, it's usually considered good no mater what in my book.

Don't get me wrong, I love to cook. I just really like not having to.

Oh, I also had to sit and watch my hubby and two kids eat hot fudge sundays right in front of me. But I am really proud of myself. Even though I knew I could have, I did not even eat 1 single fry! I sooo wanted to snag one of the fries from my husbands plate and smother it in ranch. But I didn't. And I sooo wanted a bit of his hot fudge sunday. But I didn't. I am, however, immensely enjoying some jello with cream poured on as I write. And even though it's not a hot fudge sunday, it sure hits the spot . And the jello wont make my belly jiggle, but the sunday sure would have!

I almost can't believe that I did that. Even before, the last time I was on atkins and lost all that weight, I so would have taken a bite of each at least. But this time, I just did not want to do it to myself. I knew that if I took a bite of that sunday or had just one fry, it might trigger a full on psycho level carb attack like a crack head. I knew that I might be able to do it, and I might have been ok, but it was better not to. And to me, for once, it was not worth it for that fleeting moment of pleasure. This is new to me. That kind of self restraint is not something that I have been able to achieve before.

It makes me even firmer in my resolve and determination to stay the course and know that I WILL LOSE THIS WEIGHT! Something is different this time. This time, it's gonna happen. I wont give up. I wont let myself give in to the notion that I will just always be fat, I can't really do it, I need to accept my weight because being fat is just who I am.

Not this time. I am on my way to being healthy and happy with my appearance. I have so much to lose. I'm 265 now (after being at a high of 289) and the charts say my healthy weight is about 135. That's a person I have to lose. That's more than my 80 pound doberman and my 50 pound daughter combined. But what an accomplishment! When I do that, I will be so proud of myself. I really hope that I can be one of those stories that has inspired me so much! All the members of this site are such an inspiration. Just to know that I am not alone in this fight and that there are others struggling right along side me and others still who have done it proving to us that we can do it. Seeing how all of you have lost weight whether 5, 50, or 150 pounds prove that it can be done. If I can lose 5 pounds, then I can do it again. And then again, and again, and again.

Sorry this got kind of ranty. Oh well, isn't that what journals are for?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

First setback, kind of.....

Ok, guilty talk now commencing. Mothers day got the best of me, and so did some carbs. Ok, A LOT of carbs. This is totally my fault, I can't blame anybody else. But I really want to blame my husband for making me the emotional wreak that drove me over the carby edge. I wont go into it, but all you married gals out there know that sometimes it happens that your husbands make you want punch them in the face and then go curl up in a ball crying in your bed. Thankfully I was able to resist the punching part (just barely).

When all was said and done and when we finally went out to mothers day lunch I had just given up, for an hour anyways. I remembered that if you can keep your carb eating within an hour then you can not have to wait the norm three day waiting period to get back into ketosis. So, I ate fast and am hoping for the best. It's bed time for the kids now and I have not eaten since lunch at around 2. I have been afraid to eat since then with all the calories and carbs in my system.

On the bright side, by the time I got home the urge to purposefully purge had mostly passed and I did not go make myself throw up like I was planning in my emotional roller coaster ride earlier.

I do consider this to be a learning experience though. There were some side effects of my carb binge that make me not very excited to do it again any time soon. It makes me realize that although it is a funny joke "I'm allergic to carbs. They make me break out in fat.", there is some truth in the allergic part. Here are some of the side effects that I had.

-Headache. And not just a little one. For some reason as I was finishing up my chocolate pie (to my credence, I did not eat it all at least. Even if it was due to the fact that I thought I might throw up in the restaurant if it did ) I got an almost migraine like sudden head ache that made me want to shut my eyes and not move.

-Nausea. My tummy sure does not like carbs. It's like my hanging flab was resisting my culinary attempts to keep it in all its pendulous flabby glory. If I was at home I would have went to the bathroom and "helped" it along. I just wanted to be at home in my bed willing the nausea to go away. I could not stand the thought of puking in a public rest room, no matter how clean. I pictured the worse case scenario of me puking in the restaurants potty and having it come out both ends with diarrhea. We all know it happens. Not pretty.

-Mass tiredness. We still had to stop by costco on the way home and pick up a Rx. Of course when we got there the pharmacy was closed . I was just going to wait in the van while hubby and the kids went in due to the headache, nausea, and mass tiredness. Thankfully after a bit of sitting in the van I went inside to find my family. I say thankfully because I got to pick my own mothers day flowers that my darling little girl told her daddy he needed to buy for me (BLESS HER HEART!). Asked hubby if I could pick out potted flowers instead of a bouquet and he said yes. So I got a pretty three pack of pink wave petunias MY FAVORITE .
Sorry, I kind of wandered there.

So at the end of the day, yes, I did cheat. But I'm not letting it get me off track and I'm not going to get myself down beating myself up about it. Maybe I should be beating myself up more, but I really don't want to. I'm simply going to consider it a learning experience. Next time I'm tempted by emotions, chocolate, or whatever, I'll be able to remember what horrible physical side effects I will have to endure if I partake.

Also, when I ate the carby stuff, it was not really that good. I was eating it thinking that I could easily have a low carb alternative that was just as good without going off of atkins. I could have easily had food I made at home that was lc and would have tasted almost as good or better than the carby stuff that made me sick and tired with a nasty headache.

Was it really worth it? No.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maximoon
Stats: 165-170/155/151, 5'8"
WOE: No sugar, no flour diet
Start Date: April 2012
I feel you, girl. I too had a carby lunch yesterday, bread, cheesecake, the works. But the only thing, like you said, we can do is remember that it didn't taste that good after all. I was thinking the same thing in particular as I was eating that chocolate cheesecake.

Strangely enough, I had little to zero guilt yesterday, except for the weird guilt I sometimes get when I DON'T HAVE guilt. OK. But today I feel bad and am once again afraid of the scale.

I guess we just have to move on!

Have a great Monday,

Maxi
Maximoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dust yourself off and keep going. You can do this!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How girl, how ya doing?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Dusted off and moving forward!

Hey guys,

I was pretty busy yesterday so not a lot of computer time.

My body is still in shock from my mothers day mayhem. I am realizing more and more how carb intolerant my body is. I woke up at like 3am again and threw up . And today I feel like I have that first few days of atkins "atkins flue".

Good news and bad news. The bad news is that my weight went up from 265 to 266 to today 266.8. And then the unthinkable happened: MY SCALE STOPPED WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I might totally freak out. Or not, I still debating the merits of letting myself go into full on panic mode

The good news is that I have been good and did not give into the MASSIVE cravings I had yesterday. I so wanted to leave the kids at home and go pork out with evil drive through-ness.

But..... I DID NOT! Ok, not exactly the biggest victory in the world, but after my little weight gain in need to cling what little victories I can find

I had some coconut flour pancakes that rocked. The were soooooo filling!

Now I just have to figure out something for dinner. I have some asparagus I need to cook. Maybe I should grill it with some asain marinated short ribs and asain cole slaw.

Mmmmmmmmmm...... I'm making myself hungry!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, those plans for an awesome dinner, that did not really happen. I ended up making the family canned clam chowder and not eating.

But...... Tomorrow is another day
Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Happy2be
Stats: 237/223.2/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2, 2009
Hey there JC!!! Stopping in to say hi and cheer you on. I like all of your posts. Your a good writer and it makes me laugh. I can see myself in so many of those situations. The main thing is how you look at carbs and what you do after you eat them. Sounds like you have a great mind set.

Don't skip dinner though...
Happy2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning JC! I think I would cry if my scale stopped working. Then I would stress over finding a new one. You're so funny, reading your posts make me smile.

Have a good day!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys! Your Awesome!

Thanks guys! Your encouragement is so awesome! You have no idea how good it makes me feel.

As far as my scale breaking...... I think I feaked out less when my dishwasher broke! I think I'm in mourning. I was so sad this morning when I got up. My routine is to weigh just before getting into the shower after using the potty (we all know why ). I felt so weird getting into the shower without a number to ponder.

If the number is down, then I'm all motivated to keep it going. If the number is up, then I'm all motivated to make it go down. So now????? I'm like some cheesy actor saying "whats my motivation?".

I'm trying to think about what it would be like to be one of those once a week two weighers. It's got to drive them CRAZY!!!!! I don't think I could do it! The angst! The agony of not knowing!!!!! I think I'd explode!!!!

Warning: Bad pun approaching......

Well onto less weighty matters. Sorry, I just had to!

Happy2b: You are so right about the dinner thing. Sigh.... I know I should not skip meals. It's just my whole food-control issues coming through.

In the back of my mind I have this little voice that says that I'm a good girl if I can ignore hunger and go without food. Total BS right? I should know it's BS because it's the same voice that says I deserve to punish myself by purging if I binge. Not that I'm a total bulimic, just an intermittently recreational one .

Wow, I seem really crazy. Oh well, that's life.

Right now I'm enjoying the smell of buffalo chicken wings cooking in the microwave. Yummy I'm so looking forward to slathering them in ranch and extra hot sauce. Dang I love Atkins! On what other woe could you do that guilt free? But, on the other side, I don't get the angle food cake that WW people do.

I actually have to do some REAL cooking tonight. I took out some short ribs from the freezer last night to thaw. So it's bbq or asian. Maybe I'll mix it up a bit and do a combo. Great things can happen with ADD cooking!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Hey there,

You remember that awesome dinner I didn't make last night? Well, tonight is a go! I've got asian marinated short ribs cooking on the grill, asian cole slaw home made and ready, and blanched asparagus marinating ready to be grilled up real quick when the short ribs are done!

Oh, I better go check on them!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

MMM sounds good. Would you share your recipe for the asian spare ribs. They sound delicious!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

I should have checked them sooner . I had the timer set and I checked them before the timer went off. Still, a blazing inferno of charcoaled short rib carnage greeted me from the bbq.

But on the bright side only 75% or so was completely charred beyond all acceptable limits for human consumption. You do know it's bad though when neighbor kids are yelling "FIRE" and some of the bone is charred to white ash . Well then, I'll just consider this a learning experience.

Lessons learned:
1. Leave the bbq lid OPEN when cooking short ribs.

2. Short ribs are not 1 inch plus cut steak. They cook quickly!

3. It does not matter how low the bbq is set to. Don't set the timer for 10 minutes and walk away.

Obvious perhaps to some. But I'm still learning. Growing up our "steak" was called "hamburger". I never knew how to cook or learned much from my mom (sorry Mom!) about cooking. When I got married to a farm boy I was introduced to the great "side of beef". I never really new what that meant until I suddenly had a half of a cow in my freezer.

Then a whole new world of all these different cuts of meat came into my hands and I had no idea what to do with them. I had never even had a good rare steak. Now of course I'm a certified steak snob (or maybe I'm just certifiable ) from all my experience cooking many, many steaks from really high quality locally raised cows.

There are not that many packages of short ribs however. So my experience with them is limited to a few times a year. Hence, why I don't remember much from cooking them last year. Strangely, we got a lot of short ribs in this last cow. It was a really big cow.

I did, however, make the worlds most rock'n totally awesome asian cole slaw! Well, maybe not as good as all that. But it was really, really, freak'n GOOD! I don't measure, but I can guestimate:

2 tbls fresh minced ginger
2/3 cup seasoned rice vinager
1 tsp dark sesame oil
4 packets of splenda
1 (ok, this is where it gets a little weird, but stay with me) single serve packet of crystal light white cranberry peach powder
I think I may have put a sprinkle of onion salt in?
3-4 tbls soy sauce
2/3 (really not sure the amount on this one) cup mayo

Mix it all up and pour onto:
1/4 cup ( a little more) chopped green onion
1 package cole slaw mix (or just a pound of sliced cabbage)

It was soooooooo good! We ate almost all of it. Considering that it had a whole 1 pound package of cabbage slaw in it and mainly only me and DH ate it...... There was just a little left to pack into DH's lunch for tomorrow. I'm glad there was enough for his lunch. He should have something to make up for the charred ribs I assulted his lunch with . I'm such a bad wife! Oh well, he can take it. If he's hungry enough he'll eat about anything.

The asparagus was, well, it was ok. Not great, not to bad. Just ok. I just learned from my neighbor that I should buy the skinny asparagus. Next time I'll do that. I blanched the asparagus before marinating them in the same sauce as the cole slaw minus the mayo and with added tons of garlic. I think they need to be marinated overnight with a more intense sauce and just cooked on the grill. Lesson for next time learned.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Oh no, Kudos to you for bbqing. I have never cooked on the grill, thats hubby's department. Although I am thinking this year might be the year I learn.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Oh! The Asian short ribs!

Like I said before, I don't really measure, but I can kind of guess.

1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp dark sesame oil
5 packets splenda
oinion salt
1 tbls dried onion flakes
2 tbls minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup jarred minced garlic (we love garlic here )
1 tsp Dijon mustard (or maybe it was the cole slaw I put the mustard in? Darn! I'm really not sure. )

I think that's what I put in it.

I should add in there that it did not make nearly enough marinade. I had 3 3/4 pounds of short ribs though. There is a lot of bone and fat to get around on those things. I got the butcher to cut them the Japanese way where they are long and have little 1/3 inch cut thick bones dotted along them. They kind of look like bacon actually .

Here are some pick from online:

This is what my bbq looked like (google image, not mine)

This is what they should have looked like if I had not caught them on fire:

But this is what my bbq looked like (not my pic)

I hope the pics come through ok.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Actually, I think my bbq had much more fire than that.

I forgot to mention that I had to go out there with a jar of water to douse the flames. I think that then is when I heard the neighbor boy yelling "FIRE! FIRE!"

Well, inside I have the smoke alarm to tell me when things are done. I guess outside I have the neighbor boy yelling!

Note to self: Get a clean spray bottle filled with water for spraying out fires when I cook on the bbq.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time. I have a pretty solid track record of catching hamburger patties on fire too.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

You crack me up!!!! I am not a great cook, but am getting better. I practically caught the house on fire when I decided I was going to pan fry some chicken in oil and had the heat set way too high. I read the directions, but interpreted them the wrong way.

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to have to try it.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy2be View Post

You crack me up!!!! I am not a great cook, but am getting better. I practically caught the house on fire when I decided I was going to pan fry some chicken in oil and had the heat set way too high. I read the directions, but interpreted them the wrong way.

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to have to try it.
Thanks!

It's funny, sometimes I wonder if the comics get their material from secret cameras in my home. Life around here is always pretty crazy! But, at least its usually a good kind of crazy, usually.

I'm just glad there are no trees overhead of my bbq!
Old 05-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: writermom
Stats: 196/187/145 5'5
WOE: WW PP
Start Date: November 15, 2010
JC, you are a braver woman than me. I leave the BBQ to my DH cuz I know I would set the entire yard on fire.
writermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That is too funny! I have never BBQed either, my hubby has always done that. I'm not a good cook either, I'm good at baking but cooking not so much.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

When I first got married I left the grilling to my hubby. But when the honeymoon was over, he was not nearly so keen to show off his pyrotechnic culinary skills. Come to think of it, he stopped practicing any culinary skills after the honeymoon. I guess he figured out that he had me so he could stop trying so hard to impress me! What makes it so funny to me is that it is such a truth in all areas of marriage, not just cooking.

So I learned the hard way that if I wanted bbq'd food, I had to do it myself. So, nearly 7 years later, I'm still learning (very slowly )

Big news:

I FINIALLY GOT A NEW SCALE!!!!!!!!

I was so excited that I left most of the groceries in the car (might as well wait for hubby to get home to bring in the groceries ) took it upstairs and unpacked it right away.

Then I noticed that it needed batteries! I started freaking out. What! It needs batteries! Why didn't it come with batteries?! So I begin desperately looking all over my house for AAA batteries. Because, of course, I could not be organized enough to keep them in one place and prevent these freakish escapades of looking in every nook and cranny that I tend to shove stuff I don't want to put away. Then I finally found 1!

I go to put it in and realize that I NEED 3 AAA BATTERIES! Miraculously I found more AAA batteries and shoved them in the little battery compartment post haste. I impatiently stood on the scale right there in my dining room. I did not like the number. So of course I took it to my bathroom to try it out there, much better. I'll wait to post a weight until I can weigh in the morning like I normally do.

OK, here's the kicker. When I was looking at the table a few minutes later I saw the three pack of batteries that WAS included!!!!!! I was just in such a hurry taking the scale out of the box and all it's packaging that the batteries kind of flung out of my line of site.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

So, I should also be accountable for what I ate today. So here goes:

Breakfast: coffee and cream, splenda, and vanilla extract

Lunch: 2 bunless burgers from burger king

Snack: costco sample of ham

Dinner: Costco rotisserie chicken with franks red hot buffalo sauce and ranch

Dessert: 2.5 oz strawberries (yes, I was totally uptight and weighed my strawberries on my kitchen scale )

Kind of funny. I'm on atkins measuring my food on my Weight Watcher scale and then replacing my old WW scale from costco with a new WW scale, also bought from costco. Good deal to. Only $19.99 and it is this swanky looking glass one.

I hope it works out ok. I just saw some of the reviews were kind of bad on it.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Thats too funny about the scale and batteries. You were on a mission!!! Good luck for your morning weigh in!!! Your menu looks good.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Friday morning and happy weighing on your new scale!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #58
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Ok hun, I found you and now you might be sorry!!! I can so relate, I was fat my whole life, form the time I was like 7 on, I was 210 when I started college and 270 when i finished 4 years later and it just piled on from there! You are a beautiful girl and you can so do this, you did it before, you are going to get this under control, and be the skinny girl you long to be!!

Now the binge/purge I don't like hearing, you cant be puking hun, that is so bad for you on so many levels, you cannot do that----- so promise me no more of that? I had a very bad binge problem in my teens and 20's I remember reading several books and also going to some OA meetings, you might find you like the support of Overeaters Anonymous, maybe look for one in your area? I think it really helps to address the reasons we turn to food, lets face it all of us that are more than 100 pounds overweight had a bad addiction to food, and combine that with years of abusing food and messing up our metabolisms we need to find alternate ways to cope rather than turning to food, and it is true the longer you go about it, it does soon become a habit.

I think how one night would be pizza, one would be KFC, there is no way in hell I would do that again its not good for me or the family, and once you learn more and more about nutrition and stuff you see you dont want your kids eating it either and getting hooked on it.

You have the right attitude and you are going to do this!!!

Short ribs-I put them in a big pot, and cover with water and let the water cook off so they are cooking in their own fat, OMG they get crunchy like on the outside so delicious!!!!

Tony is always the master griller he cooks meat perfectly well now with me being home I cook and cant wait for him so I have been trying to master the grill I always call him and say OK I have steak what do I do? LOL

My uncle is a total beer snob too, he home brews they are going on a beer tasting trip to Belgium next year to drink their fancy beers, LOL
Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejewelme View Post
Ok hun, I found you and now you might be sorry!!! I can so relate, I was fat my whole life, form the time I was like 7 on, I was 210 when I started college and 270 when i finished 4 years later and it just piled on from there! You are a beautiful girl and you can so do this, you did it before, you are going to get this under control, and be the skinny girl you long to be!!

Now the binge/purge I don't like hearing, you cant be puking hun, that is so bad for you on so many levels, you cannot do that----- so promise me no more of that? I had a very bad binge problem in my teens and 20's I remember reading several books and also going to some OA meetings, you might find you like the support of Overeaters Anonymous, maybe look for one in your area? I think it really helps to address the reasons we turn to food, lets face it all of us that are more than 100 pounds overweight had a bad addiction to food, and combine that with years of abusing food and messing up our metabolisms we need to find alternate ways to cope rather than turning to food, and it is true the longer you go about it, it does soon become a habit.

I think how one night would be pizza, one would be KFC, there is no way in hell I would do that again its not good for me or the family, and once you learn more and more about nutrition and stuff you see you dont want your kids eating it either and getting hooked on it.

You have the right attitude and you are going to do this!!!

Short ribs-I put them in a big pot, and cover with water and let the water cook off so they are cooking in their own fat, OMG they get crunchy like on the outside so delicious!!!!

Tony is always the master griller he cooks meat perfectly well now with me being home I cook and cant wait for him so I have been trying to master the grill I always call him and say OK I have steak what do I do? LOL

My uncle is a total beer snob too, he home brews they are going on a beer tasting trip to Belgium next year to drink their fancy beers, LOL
Thanks so much for the support! I was looking at some of the post on your journal. Is your real name Amber?

Yeah, the whole binge purge thing is totally unhealthy. Thankfully I have not done it in a long time. My sister is actually has her masters in psychology and is licensed in counseling people with food issues or whatever the psyco mumbo jumbo people call it person. She keeps me pretty accountable with that .

Oooo I am so jealous for your uncle! I would love to on a beer tasting trip to Belgium. The closest I've done is a weekend beer tasting trip to Portland, OR. . We went there to tour a brewery equipment manufacturing plant and made a weekend out of it (we are in the middle of trying to open our own brewery Mad Bull Brewing). I remember talking to a brewer who went to Germany to train and the locals drank A LOT of beer, but they were all skinny! They all said (in their German Accents) "Beer? Beer does not make you FAT! Food makes you FAT!" as they drank with every meal.

Your short ribs sound great! I'm all about the crispy fried goodness! Is there a google link or somthing that shows how you make them? I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole thing and I think I need pictures . Do you marinate them or give them a rub? Are yours cut like mini racks of ribs or the bacon looking things? I got some walden farms bbq sauce I have not used yet. That may work on them.

Oh, and I AM glad you found me!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #60
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Hun ever since this morning I was looking for the recipe, I am glad I found it you do not add water, you put them in a pot and cover and the ribs release the fat and water that runs off, salt and pepper only! I found the gals blog, she posts on the Food Porn thread, I have many many of her things and they are delicious!!

Luscious Low Carb: Steamed and Fried Short Ribs

Yes my name is really Amber, LOL There are not a lot of 40+ year old Amber's around, that is for sure, there was a book in the 60's Forever Amber that my Mom was reading when she was pregnant.

That is cool about your sister, although if you are like me, I wouldn't listen to anything my sister had to say even if she was an expert, LOL

I just porked into Junior 11 pants at Wal Mart I am so excited I could bust!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote