mamagiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DarkSiren
WOE: What Ever it Takes!!!!
Start Date: Recommited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff View Post
Dawn, I can tell you right now that you don't want to let things go! I had a really hard time with food over the weekend, pain in my legs and feet that was unbearable at times and add to that the fact that I have gained back so much that I can't wear any of the nicer clothes that I have should be enough to say it's never worth giving up....as much as I want to give up I know I can't.

There is an absolutely horrible pic of me (along with some that are horrible without the absolutely in front) and I'm so sad that the past 2 years have been such a spiral for me....yes, a lot has been out of my control but I could have done better with food....I really need to get this figured out. I don't want my granddaughter's to only know me as the old fat lady that can barely move...I was on the verge of tears a lot over the weekend because I am unable to do so many things right now...

But we did have an awesome weekend and it was so nice to see my son with both of his girls!!! I've been emailing with Kayli's Mom and she wants to be sure that Kayli gets as much family time with all of us as she wants! Can't wait to see her again!

Had PT this morning and I'm on orders to stay off my feet as much as I can for the next few days (very swollen from the trip), ice, massage and a few exercises I can do while sitting here. I do have my class tonight as far as I know and I will definitely be going....I'll ice good before I go and when I get back.

Back on track with food...I really need to be better prepared when I go there!
I'm so sorry you had such a hard time physically with your weekend.
Glad it was otherwise a good one though.

Definitely make sure you do what they say and get some rest.

I'm sure something food wise will click for you when you're ready. Honestly it took years of trying before I finally found something that worked.

Even if it was only short term.

Now I'm fighting like crazy to figure out another way to get the rest off.
DarkSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I went to class tonight....we did a really easy session because I ache a lot from all the sitting in the car, etc. and the other lady has knee problems. She is having knee surgery on the 22nd and will be off for about 6 weeks so if he can't find someone to join in her place there won't be class again till she heals...I had trouble tonight doing all the exercises even though it was simple but I still got a good workout. He said he'll kill us on Wed. since we weren't up to it today! LOL!

Ya know, I love eating low carb/primal so I don't know what my problem is....it's like when we get somewhere that I'm not in charge of food I just eat what's there. I don't overeat but I know I should not have the stuff that's being served. I ate grains and sugar over the weekend....I seem to have a lot of trouble being prepared for weekends like this. I need to work better on that!

We gladly feast on those who would subdue us! - Addams Family Creed

My Facebook
Old 05-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #5

Preparation is definitely essential.

I make compromises when I have to but for me that means eating Paleo-ish baked goodies sometimes, or buying a beef stick at the store even though it's highly processed.

I figure it's better than completely jumping off the wagon to get run over.

One night when the kiddos needed to eat and we weren't anywhere near home they got wings and I grabbed a couple sausage dogs without buns.

No where NEAR primal but at least it was low carb. I try not to do this very often though.

so far today:
black coffee
left over carrot cake muffin

Although I can eat these baked goods and maintain really well and feel awesome.... I need to lose so they have to leave for a while. I'll still make them for the family but I need to stop "sampling".

planned:
left over spaghetti squash and some protein(not sure what yet)
handful mac nuts only if needed
kids get their one pasta night tonight so hubby and I will have fish

Kids have been getting further and further away from the SAD(standard American diet) and I'm thrilled about that. DD is realizing that her tummy isn't as bloated and her skin looks 100x's better when she eats better. But they still like the occasional treat and as long as they don't develop allergies I'll allow occasionally.... until I can offer alternatives they like anyway.

This weekend I'll try out a new doughnut recipe to see if I can FINALLY get rid of the junk ones they get every weekend. That will leave the mac and cheese Tueday as the only thing we haven't found an alternative for.

exercise:
yoga(not sure which type today, still sore from surf yoga yesterday)
KBs heavy session
walking
Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Bike Tart

Dawn, I'm usually pretty good at being prepared other than when staying at my son's house because I knew there wouldn't be room in the fridge for extra food...we had a cooler along, too, and still didn't have enough room....this past weekend was a bit unusual because of the birthday party and extra people so I'm hoping to do better next time...

Great that you're getting the kids away from the SAD! Hope your donuts work out!

Off to Mom's now.....
Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #7

Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down

This roller coaster ride is getting annoying and I'm getting completely and utterly FED UP!!!!

I'm considering going back to my original plan that started my loss up in the first place(2yrs ago). I really desperately want to be in Onederland by my b'day and I'm willing to do just about anything. Even the severely restricted cals.

so far today:
black coffee
banana ( feeling sick )

planned:
not sure... what ever my stomach will handle
that's still on plan

exercise:
some gentle yoga is about all I have planned because of tummy issues
we'll see how the rest of the day goes
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Bike Tart

Back from my appt., will be getting more therapy (for the other foot this time)....he thinks that once my feet are ok the leg issues will take care of themselves.

I still haven't even looked at the scale...most of the swelling is gone but I know if I see a number that is upsetting the scale will get tossed through a window or something. I told DH that I normally am not a quitter on anything but I'm so close to just giving up on everything right now. I would never go back to bad eating habits but this constant battle of trying to find out what I need to do in order to lose is draining me fast....I just have so many other issues to deal with and weight is taking a back seat for now...
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #9

Nope no need to upset yourself by looking at that scale. Just do what you need to do to take care of yourself and let the rest fall into place.

Scale is on a down bounce... but you know how that goes.....

so far today:
black coffee
1 Samoa fudge baby (just to see if they came out okay... )

planned:
lunch: fish and veggies
dinner: Paleo chicken nuggets
snack: handful mac nuts only if needed

exercise:
Surf Yoga
KBs
Walking if possible
Old 05-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
Bike Tart

I slept in the boot...it helped but I slept poorly. I may try to use it when I'm sitting for longer periods of time, too.

No class last night....I was relieved to be honest. The other lady had a shot in her knee and couldn't go so we called it off to rest my foot. Will be back at it on Monday. We may put the class on hold for a couple of months because the other lady is having knee surgery on the 22nd and if he can't find anyone to take her place we'll cancel till she can return. It would be a good rest for my feet but I'll be back to beginner level if I can't do it at home.

At therapy yesterday I was told to do as little weight bearing exercise as possible for now. I can do seated weight stuff and bike so I'm not totally sedentary but I'm thinking even kb work will be somewhat limited. I'm thinking that doing it a couple of times a day for only 15 minutes would be ok....will ask the therapist tomorrow. I'm seeing a different therapist today to evaluate by right foot but will continue treatment with the one I've been seeing.

I forgot to eat dinner last night.....got busy chatting with DS when he got home from work...he had made a salad while we were talking and I was in the middle of an email so I thought I'd make something when I got done...totally forgot....now I'm really hungry!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #11

Hope you get some relief soon Ms.Linda!!

Adding in a Caramel Apple Milkshake to snacks for the day.
Recipe looked so good I couldn't resist.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Bike Tart

Ooh, that sounds good, Dawn....where did you get the recipe?

I just did a basic pedi....used my favorite peppermint foot lotion so my feet feel fantastic right now....I'm sure once I get up and walk I won't think that way! LOL!

Need to go make lunch and head to PT.....
Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #13

I'll go link you up to it on my FB page.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Bike Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSiren View Post
I'll go link you up to it on my FB page.
Got it! Looks delicious!

I'm still having a hard time with some of the ingredients in primal/paleo not being "low carb" but I know that they work.....kind of like getting over the low fat thing....

Had my appt. with the PT today. I have more wrong than just the plantar fasciitis....inflammation on the side of my foot that is not related to the plantar fasciitis and that's what's causing most of the pain. Great! He said we'll be working on stretching, strengthening my whole lower body because I keep having problems from over compensating from one thing which aggravates something else....if I don't get everything fixed it will just keep happening!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #15

It is a bit hard to wrap the brain around I'm sure. But the Primal guy considers anything below 150 low carb. And between 50 and 100 to be the weight loss sweet spot.

It's especially interesting when you consider most Americans eat 300 and over on carbs.

I had this whole huge explanation of where I've been and where I'm at now on LC but you've been at this a while so I'm sure you don't need me to explain anything.

I will say this... if you use a combo of moderate carb/low calorie it still puts you in ketosis... under 20 isn't "required" for "most" people.

It's just hard when you've had that number stuck in your brain for so long to make the adjustment.

For me I was actually told by a doctor when I was a teenager that my body didn't handle carbs and that I should avoid them as much as possible. So, I was stuck on that for a LONGGGGGGG time. And when I was good I could lose weight easily. But when I was "bad" I gained it all back. What he didn't think to tell me was that veggies/fruit were okay and that I just needed to avoid the grains. I think that would have saved me a LOT of the roller coaster crud. I usually fell off plan when I started craving things like fruits and veggies.

so far today:
black coffee

planned:
banana
couple homemade shakes
chicken and veggies
handful mac nuts only if necessary

exercise:
surf yoga
KBs
walking(shopping)
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #16

Menu Update:
so far:

breakfast: couple coffees
banana/almond butter pancakes
lunch: chai breakfast shake

planned:
snack:
hot chocolate (I am freezing today)
dinner: paleo chicken nuggets and veggies
evening snack: chocolate shots

You would think with all that chocolate that I was still on TOM
but I'm finished up.

And the scale is continuing back down...

So as long as it does that I'm going to eat what sounds good and is on plan.

With all of that food my cals still only come to around 1300 to 1500 and carbs are only about 100g.

Well, within what works for me.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
Bike Tart

I am working on getting in the mindset of 50-100 good carbs....it's been challenging but I'm getting there....most every dr. or other professional has told me to be at about 1500 cals....whenever I track it, I seem to automatically hit that most times so I know that's a good number for me....just need to work on it a bit more...

Had my PT this morning....ultrasound and stretching on both feet, massage on my right foot and then giant icepacks on both feet. She showed me some balance stuff to do with my left foot for now....waiting to get my right foot better before strength stuff. She and I had a good talk about carbs, exercise, etc. She has weight issues, too, so she is understanding where I'm coming from....

Off to Mom's house now....
Old 05-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #18

It's always nicer when someone understands where you're coming from. Instead of someone who's always been thin trying to tell you what to do.

I appreciate their input but we come from totally different worlds.

Scale is on an up bounce. Was swollen when I woke up so no surprise.

Hubby and kiddos are in the kitchen working on my Mother's Day stuff a little early since hubby will be working tomorrow.

Nature of the beast and all that.

so far today:

just coffee while I wait on the breakfast they've been fixing for the last 2hrs.

planned:
Paleo-ish German Apple Pancake
tonight Blackberry Porkchops and salad
not sure about lunch ~~ probably won't be very hungry
mac nuts if needed for snack

exercise:
just finished Surf Yoga
Planning on TONS of walking today.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
Bike Tart

It's nice to wake up and see feet and ankles back to normal! Did my PT exercises and I'm heading to the shower....it's been a lazy morning but now I need to get going! Heading to Mom's in a couple of hours and then out tonight to see BIL's band play....can't wait!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #20

Glad you got to see your feet and ankles for a bit. Hope you had fun out last night!!

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Doing okay here. Hubby is getting ready to go to work so my day once he's out the door will be fairly normal. Work on housework, school work, hang with the kiddos, etc...

Although I'll be doing work today I won't stress about it. I'll take plenty of breaks and move slowly. That will be my concession to the day.

Didn't weigh this morning since I had a lot of "on plan treats" yesterday and I am definitely holding fluid. So no point in making myself crazy on a special day.

so far:
egg/sausage
coffee

planned:
have lots of leftovers both regular and treats

I have stocked up for at least 2wks(possibly 4wks) of simple meals....basically it's back to meat and veggies for the next month.

If I'm careful I can get down at least 10...maybe even 15 or 20lbs... of course that higher number would be mostly fluid.

Hubby will be working away a lot so that means just making enough for 2 adults to eat each day. The kids usually only eat the amount of 1 adult meal between the two of them. So, basically just cooking simple meals for 2 is on the agenda. That makes it easier for me to stick to a stricter plan. I do have extra snacks and things for the kiddos on hand just in case they actually get hungrier.

I always lose a big chunk of weight when the hubby is working a lot. I think it's because I'm not making as much food and I'm also doing the jobs of both Mom and Dad during that time.

exercise:
the usual yoga at some point
maybe a walk out with the kiddos later in the day
I'm going to set the Wii back up for the kids and play with them on that too
Maybe some KBs if I feel like throwing them around a bit
Old 05-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
Bike Tart

Well, glad today is over....had some nice moments and some not so great moments....too much to last but did spend a good chunk of time at Mom's bathing her again....she had some potty problems and Stepfather can't handle cleaning that up.

Got some nice texts and a phone call from DS2 so that was all good!

Food not so great....my choices....I'll deal with it but I took the easy way out at both lunch and dinner...I've been thinking a lot about my foot/knee/hip pain and problems and I think I may have discovered part of the problem....the therapist I saw last year said that my knees leaned in a bit and I needed to work on getting that fixed so the first thing I did was get inserts for my shoes that was supposed to help but I'm thinking I should try wearing the shoes without the inserts for a few days. I think my body is out of whack and that I need to work from the feet up. I'll talk with my current therapist to see what she thinks...

Beth, hope you made it through the day ok....

Dawn, your plan sounds good....I always do better when DH is out of town....he never goes anymore!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #22

Morning Ladies!!

Thinking of you Ms.Beth. Hope you've found us in the new thread.

Linda, sorry you had to go clean up your mom. I know that has to be rough. I remember helping my Mom with my grandfather like that.

I definitely lose better when the hubby isn't here. Last trip I lost about 10lbs and I've kept that off since then.

So, I currently lose when he's gone and bounce so much when he's home that I'm basically maintaining.

I don't like the idea of him being gone but I almost wish he would go on more trips just so I can get into Onederland.

so far today:
coffee

planned:
fasting until I'm ready to break it...
then
lunch: sausage and eggs
snack: tuna
dinner: something with ground beef and some veggies
Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
Bike Tart

I've been to PT and the grocery store....today is the first day of trying no inserts in my shoes....can't tell too much yet....will be doing some cooking today and hopefully class tonight.

Got Mom's clothes washed and will take them back to her house tomorrow. I really need to find some pants that fit her better...because she isn't very active anymore her shape is changing and I'm sure some of the bathroom problems are because she can't get her pants off as easily as she needs to. I am also going to get some depends for her...I've had her using just the pads but to help Stepfather we'll switch.

Not sure on what I'll be eating today...found a few recipes I want to try soon. I think I'll just make something extra easy for lunch today.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #24

Hope the "no inserts" helps, Linda.

Doing okay here I guess.... Just a gloomy rainy day.... Tons to do and absolutely no want to get it done.

Up on the scale and honestly not sure why since yesterday was so perfect. I am a little swollen today but still... grrr.....

Will drink more water today and hopefully tomorrow will be better......

so far:
coffee
planned:
lunch:egg/bacon cups
snack: left over burgers
dinner: fish and veggies
snack: mac nuts only if needed

exercise:
1hr yoga
KBs
if the rain stops we'll do a family walk
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #25
Bike Tart

Well, after much discussion with Trainer Guy, we decided it's best for my feet if I stop class for a few weeks. I had trouble with the kb warm up....I can't keep my weight on my heels for doing the swings....we did the rest of the class with the TRX straps so I still got a good workout....we did all upper body stuff and I sure feel it today! So I'll contact him the beginning of June to update him on my recovery and to determine when we'll start again. The other lady in the class is having knee surgery next week and probably won't be back till July. So now it will be just PT and indoor bike till I get better....will miss the kb work a lot!

Had a protein shake for breakfast, chicken legs for lunch and a little ribeye for dinner...have to decide on veggies to go with them.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #26

So sorry you had to cancel classes, Linda. Hope the PT helps and you begin your recovery quickly.

I'm on a down bounce for now. I'm so weary from all the up and down and getting no where... I keep saying that I'm ready to give up and yet I keep on keeping on. I guess I just know no other way anymore.

I also realize if I genuinely "give up" that the scale will immediately pay me back for that and I'll gain everything back plus some....

I'm just so tired of the constant struggle.......

But I'll keep going.....

so far:
coffee

planned:
have some veggies that need to be eaten soon
dinner: making sausage pizza muffins for the kiddos, not sure if I'm having any... swelling and all that....

exercise:
playing it by ear today... what ever feels right...
Old 05-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #27
Bike Tart

I hear ya about the constant struggle....I know neither one of us will ever give up no matter how hard it is....we just can't...

Scale was down 2 lbs this morning....nothing to celebrate till I get back to my low of the year but happy that I see a different number.

The no inserts has not been any different than with them....my PT for today was moved to tomorrow. My foot is really hurting today and it's throwing everything out of whack right now....

I've been eating mostly eggs, chicken and beef lately with some sweet potatoes or green beans now and then.

Went to the movies today and was fully prepared to get a small popcorn....there was a line and my sore foot said no way are you standing in line so I skipped it...that was good....
Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #28

Ended up not feeling very well yesterday and to top it off some air had gotten into the meat container and caused it to go back well before the expiration time.

So, I was having to scrounge to find food for everyone.

That and some other stress caused me to yet again sit down with a Paleo-ish goodie at the end of the day.

Then I was rewarded with an upswing on the scale this morning.

I'm done...

I'm going to do some homemade shakes and a lean/green dinner until I can't stand it anymore and need a break.

I just desperately want to say goodbye to these numbers that I keep seeing over and over again.

At the core of things I'll still be "primal" but I'll be using whey protein so that kind of walks a thin line.

I also have been checking my temp the last few mornings and I'm back down to my normal low body temp caused by my thyroid issues... which tells me that I'm literally fighting my thyroid right now. Totally makes since..... frustrating... but at least I know what the issue is... and the only way to lose means super low calories for a while.

Another thin line here... Keeping cals low enough to lose.... but not so low that I cause more damage to my metabolism than good.

so far today:
coffee

planned:
breakfast, lunch, snacks: shakes
dinner: I have a squash latke to finish, I'm also making the kids some homemade fish sticks.... I'll cook a couple naked ones for me if I feel that I need them.

exercise:
While I'm Super Dieting ...
I will keep it to 45 minutes at the most.
So, 20 minutes yoga and 25 minutes KBs or walking every day.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #29
Bike Tart

I'm back from PT....she did an extra treatment on my right foot and wants me to stay off of it as much as possible...suggested crutches but the ones we have are for DH's height and even shortened as much as possible they are still too tall for me and I'm not short! So lots of ice, wrap it up, rest and rest and rest.....

I'm thinking of going to shakes for a while, too, Dawn....I will make them with all kinds of healthy stuff...aloe juice, kombacha, coconut milk and a few other supplements as well as the whey protein. I have the stuff to get started....I think I'll shakes for breakfast and dinner so I can have lunch with DH....I usually do best when I eat my main meal at lunch time.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
Bike Tart

Well, so much for having a shake for dinner.....DS wanted Chinese after I told him I couldn't stay standing long enough to cook tonight. I had been on my feet too much this afternoon....no choice, had to go to Mom's and had to stop at the grocery store. So he went and picked up food....I had a few bites of the fried rice but gave the rest to him. I should have had him pick up extra for his work lunch tomorrow....I'll have to make something for that now...

I'm so frustrated at not being able to work out for a while. I need to get some dumbbells up from the basement and at least try to do some sitting upper body stuff...there just isn't a whole lot I can do till my feet are better....