Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #1291
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DarkSiren
WOE: What Ever it Takes!!!!
Start Date: Every Day is a New Start
Happy Thursday!!

Glad the appointment went well and hope he can help with the pain issues.

Scale... or should I say my body... was mean to me today. I woke up extremely swollen. My fault for having bacon with my dinner.

That caused the scale to jump up of course. Leaving me with only a .6 loss for the week instead of my needed 2.5 to 3.5lbs. I'm tempted to just ignore today's weigh in, be careful with the salt, and see how tomorrow goes.

Would that be cheating??

The guys traded their rest day(yesterday) for today so that they wouldn't have to worry about squeezing in a workout before outside classes.

I kept yesterday's rest day and plan on doing my 45 minute bike ride today while they're out.

Sprints will be done at the beach on Saturday if the weather stays nice but the hike on Sunday will have to be somewhere slightly warmer. I don't like doing the mall crawl but if it's too cold out that may be where we go. ugh...

Although we may just bundle up and go to the zoo. Our passes are about to expire and we haven't gotten all the goodie out of them yet.
DarkSiren is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 AM   #1292
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Good Morning! Sorry about the scale....I'd record today's weight and then next week you'll have a big drop....

Today is DH's birthday....he has requested spaghetti and meatballs so we'll have that for dinner. I hope it won't bother me....I know I could just make something else for me but to be honest I just don't want to. This may set me back but I want to just enjoy his birthday with him. We won't be having cake or ice cream or treats so it's not like I'll really be over doing it bad. And, yes, I'm trying to justify it! LOL!

I'm really hoping the blood test shows that I have the condition the dr. said I may have because it can be fixed if I do. I don't know what I'll do if I don't have it. Cry, maybe? I have just felt like I've had one thing or another happen to me the last few years and it's all been negative. I just want to have my life back....

Have to go to Mom's to stay with her while Stepfather goes to get the taxes done. I need to make an appt. to get mine done, too. We're also still in the process of getting roof estimates. Our roof should have been replaced a few years ago.....we just can't go any longer without it being done.

We gladly feast on those who would subdue us! - Addams Family Creed

My Facebook
mamagiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #1293
Bike Tart

Well, it appears I probably have the condition (polymyalgia rheumatica)....I read about it online a bit and the description fits me almost completely. I will have to take steroids and relief should be seen in a few days. I may have to take the meds for up to 2 years....side effects disturb me but I need this pain to be gone. Side effects include weight gain, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes.....great!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #1294
Bike Tart

Good Morning! Scale is down 2 lbs...very surprised to see that....I was expecting it to be up.

Busy day again....have to go buy a baby gift for my niece (her shower is tomorrow), need to stop at Verizon to find out how to get my voicemail set up again (having trouble!), meeting with Mom's social worker and then going to DS's house for a bit.

We skyped with DS2 and family last night...good to see them all! Got to talk with DS's in-laws that have been visiting for the past week. Ruthie danced for us! Also messaged with Kayli (she was at school play rehearsals)....

I've been doing a bit more reading on the condition...also found out that a lady that I met here on LCF quite a few years go has the condition and she's got it bad....makes me nervous about my future. She added me to a FB group that is just for those with this condition and said I will get a lot of good info there. I notice that the pain level today is not as bad as yesterday so I'm assuming the meds are already helping. I'm going to contact my friend that is a PT to find out if there are any exercises that might help me and I definitely have to stay as lc as possible to keep the inflammation down.

Don't have food totally planned but it's a meatless Friday for me so there will be eggs and veggies for sure...probably a protein shake, too. I have to make some tuna salad for DH.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #1295

Happy Friday!!

Weight is up still and I'm still swollen and having some tummy issues. I'm wondering if it's to do with the plantains I added in the last couple days as wraps. I had never before eaten plantains so it's hard to gauge if that's what is doing this or not.

I have two more that I'm going to make crackers out of and although I'll try them out to see how they taste... I think I'll just give them to the guys to eat this weekend.

Okay as for your polymyalgia rheumatica.... my stance if it were me...

I would be Researching it and the paleo diet. That was the first thing I did when I read your post and it seems there is some evidence that it helps.

Then, again this is if it were me, I would take the initial meds to relieve the current pain... taking care to give my body all the nutrients it needs to offset the side effects.

Also, I would finish this initial dosage and not take anymore. I would just continue with the Autoimmune version of the diet doing a process of elimination to see which foods aggravate it. It's hard and mind numbing initially with all the info out there... But once you get into the groove it does get easier.

Finally, the reason I'm doing the AIP and finding my triggers for pain and inflammation is to avoid the horrible meds they want me on for my fibro and RA. I'd rather heal myself with food than deal with the side effects of the meds.

Again... this is only what I would do for myself and every person has to make their own decisions about these things. I will be here to support and help find info for what ever you need and decide to do.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #1296
Bike Tart

Totally agree with you! I'm just going to do this round of meds and go from there with food and see what I can do without meds. I know that being proactive is better for me and I know that I can stick with a food plan when it means no pain...I realize it may be hard at times but well worth it if it heals me.

I am looking forward to the FB group for this to see if they have any helpful ideas, etc. I don't plan to sit back and be miserable the rest of my life. Now that I know what I'm dealing with I can have a plan that isn't just random!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #1297

Happy Saturday!!

It's always better knowing what we have so that we can plan an attack and acceptance.

Scale is barely down from the jump up. So, basically it's the same. I'm also very sore still from my last big workout so I'm sure that's playing a part.

Sprints are done for the day and now we have a ton of shopping to do to get the kiddos ready for a special dress up day at school this coming week. Joy Joy...

I've been reading about how to combine paleo with eating/working out right for your cycle. Kind of technical but very interesting. I'm considering moving the workouts around to accommodate mine and DD's schedules.

That way we get the most out of our workouts.

As for the eating part I already noticed that my body is telling me what I want during certain parts of the cycle. Other than a little tweaking here and there I'm pretty much where the science thinks you should be when eating in alignment.

Now I'm off to start getting ready and getting the rest of the fam ready. They like to crash after workouts and I need to get them used to continued movement.

I ended up with one child that loves moving like me... and a hubby and daughter who don't... Makes for an interesting mix at times.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #1298
Bike Tart

Good Morning! I'm just about to leave to do an errand for DS before going to his house....there is a baby shower for my niece today at DS's house...her sister and sil are hosting it and DS is providing the house! Glad I don't have to do any work!

Texted with my former PT and asked her to find out if there are any exercises/stretches that will help me....she's going to look into it. Still working on getting info...haven't had a lot of time to sit and research but I'm sure it will be an ongoing thing.

Better get out of here before they call and ask what's taking so long!
Old 03-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #1299

Happy Sunday!!

I wish I could say that the scale was nice to me today but it was not. I know I said I was going to go on how clothing fits and not the scale...

But how in the world can I go down almost 2 sizes and steadily be going back up on the scale.

I am seriously not believing that I'm building THAT MUCH muscle.

Oh well... I'll continue what I'm doing as long as the sizes keep getting smaller....
Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #1300
Bike Tart

Oh that lovely scale! I'm up 3 lbs. today ....I'm hoping it's the meds because I certainly have not eaten or done anything else to bounce up like that.

I've been asking around about supplements for inflammation, exercises, diet, etc. Working on getting info together to present to the dr. so that I can try to deal with this stuff naturally if possible. DS teases me about having so many online friends but I told him they are the best because they all have sources to help me out when I need it!

Not sure what all I'll be doing today...will talk with DH once he gets up to see what he plans....he has to work again today so I'll be reading or watching recorded stuff tonight.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #1301
Bike Tart

As you may have seen on FB, we have our basement almost done! One of the things I was having a problem with was where I wanted the treadmill and recumbent bike because I wanted them closer to the TV so I could go down there and use them while DH is sleeping...the TV isn't quite under the bedroom but close and I don't want it too loud. With the help of DS we got things moved around and into places that work. We have a big open area in the other half of the basement where we'll put the ping pong table (hopefully next weekend). There is plenty of open space for kettlebell work and I will use the trundle bed that's under Kayli's bed to do my floorwork exercises since I can't get on the floor. When she's here I'll just push the bed back under her bed.

I'm so excited about having it done! I may go downstairs and get a little treadmill time. I won't be using the treadmill for cardio but just for movement...I can't walk fast anytime soon but I can walk while I watch recorded shows....or I can bring my kindle down and read while I walk.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #1302

Happy Monday!!

Congrats on the basement redo and having a workout area finally.

I envy you that basement.

Well, scale is still the same. I really hoped that after all that walking yesterday it would drop. But I am STILL sore... So maybe that's the issue still.

Since I am still sore, I may take today off to recover. Just do some yoga through out the day to keep the muscles warm. It's supposed to be a 45 minute bike session. We'll see how I feel.

When I go up for my shower I'll try on my next goal pants and see how they feel. That will be the real deciding factor on my mood today. So I really hope there has been some good change.

Now I need to get the guys moving so that DD can get her blood work done for her Endo appointment next week.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #1303
Bike Tart

Good luck with the next goal pants! I'm looking forward to that day for me!

Scale back down a pound. I guess I just have to continue to fight for every pound. It's very tiring....

I'm hoping DH and I go to get the rugs we need for the basement and that we can finish up down there today. I really want to get going on exercise.

I've been doing a lot of clicking around for info about this condition....lists of foods to eat/avoid, supplements, exercise....I made a separate folder for links so that I can keep track! I want to get a plan written out to present to the dr. (if needed) so he can see I'm not just winging it and that I'm serious about not taking drugs for this unless nothing else works. What's really interesting is that I already have most of the recommended supplements!

I need to read more on the diet changes before I start to implement them. I was reading about what exercises to do....yoga, tai chi, walking, water exercises....well, can't do the water stuff till summer but I can do the rest now! I found a few arm/shoulder exercises that can be done, too. I have one yoga dvd and I think I have a tai chi dvd somewhere...need to hunt it down today! Also thinking of talking to my Aunt because I think she goes to a tai chi class and maybe I could go with her.

One thing I have to say about these meds is that they take away inflammation everywhere so my leg is feeling better, too. And my left foot! The only thing it didn't do is stop the ringing in my ear....I guess I'll just have to live with that.

Not sure about what we'll be eating today. I have to go to Mom's in an hour so I better get some breakfast. Not doing shakes till the new single serve blender cups get here. I hate using the big blender to do a single shake. Guess I'll be having eggs! DH is off work today and tomorrow so I'll check with him for the other meals. I just want to keep it simple for now. Good thing he's easy to please!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #1304

Glad to hear the inflammation is going down.

Tried on those pants and there is a difference. Not quite ready for public viewing but almost there.

So that means even with a gain I'm still going down in inches. Boggles the mind.

But I'll take it.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #1305
Bike Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSiren View Post
Glad to hear the inflammation is going down.

Tried on those pants and there is a difference. Not quite ready for public viewing but almost there.

So that means even with a gain I'm still going down in inches. Boggles the mind.

But I'll take it.
Progress!! They'll be ready for public wear soon, I'm sure! You are doing great!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #1306

Happy Tuesday!!

Thanks Hon!!

I guess I needed that extra rest day because I dropped 2lbs. No change in diet what so ever. Just a day off from exercise.

Told hubby I'm afraid to do the strength training today because it might make the scale go up. But I'm trying to focus on the sizes. It's just so hard when you're used to focusing on the scale.

Anyway, today is the long strength training session. I'm either going to do body weight exercises or KBs. Not sure yet. Body weight will have me a little sore but KBs will have me sore for days. And I'm still sore from the last session.

I guess I could view it as doing more reshaping than the easier exercise.

I guess we'll see.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #1307
Bike Tart

Waving hi! Scale is inching back down...another lb and I'll be at the lowest again.

I am trying a hot drink that may help both with hunger and with inflammation....I bought some sugar free hot apple cider mix (not thrilled about artificial sweeteners but one thing at a time right now)....added some good quality cinnamon, some MCT oil, a pat of butter and about a tsp. of grated ginger....very filling and tasty! Now if it helps with the inflammation I will be very happy!

Feeling pretty good today so far....told DH that I didn't realize how exhausted I felt lately till I started feeling better. Fatigue is also part of this condition so that explains some of it.

The workout area is pretty much done other than the small stuff. I had an idea (from something I saw on Pinterest) and will have DH make it for me....a long strip of board attached to the wall with hooks at various heights so that I can hook up my stretch bands for exercises. I'm going to talk with my friend Christy the PT about it and see what she thinks and have her help me decide where the hooks would go. I know that I won't be able to do much heavier weight work for a while so I think this will be a good idea! And I need to find my tai chi dvd....
Old 03-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #1308

Happy Wednesday!!

Happy the scale is moving back down for you and hope the drink helps with inflammation.

My scale is moving back down as well. I was honestly surprised today. I spent all of yesterday STARVING!!! I ate so much by the end of the day that I was sure that I would either stay the same or gain. But instead I had a small loss.

Maybe the starving was a predictor of the loss on the scale.

No matter what I'm happy. Although I am trying to rely on sizes rather than scale numbers... There comes a point where it HAS to move and just doesn't make sense if it doesn't.

Today is supposed to be a rest day but since we took Monday off I'm thinking bike ride for the guys and some yoga followed by KBs for me.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #1309

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSiren View Post
Maybe the starving was a predictor of the loss on the scale.
And here is where I feel like a dork.. Back in my seriously low carb days... like 0 to 20 grams a day at most... I would have a starving day followed by a loss on the scale. Completely forgot about that.

Also remembered reading an article where your body is fighting so hard to stay the weight it is that it causes you to be super hungry. If you don't give in your body has no choice but to release the weight.

What's interesting in my case is that I did eat... and eat... and eat. Felt like a total pig by the time the day ended.

Maybe the difference this time is I'm paleo/primal and Autoimmune to boot.

Last edited by DarkSiren; 03-12-2014 at 05:44 AM..
Old 03-12-2014, 06:02 AM   #1310
Bike Tart

I think you're right about eating like you are now and losing! Congrats!

I'm back down to the low from a week ago! Hope it doesn't bounce back up.

I have to call the dr. office now that I've finished the meds. I guess I'll either have to go in for an appt. or get instructions on the phone of how to continue. I've been reading about this condition and it says that up to about 50% of those that have it also develop a different condition also and it's much more serious. That worries me but I can't just dwell on it.

I feel pretty good after my walk on the treadmill last night! I had DH go upstairs to our bedroom to see if he could hear the TV while I was walking and he said no. That's good! I'm going to be using the treadmill later in the day most of the time. Right now I need to get things organized so I can keep my workout clothes in the guest bedroom so I don't wake him in the morning...already forgot to do that!

Not sure what we'll be eating today....I really need to go through my freezers and see what we have to use up. Then I need to go get groceries. I've been trying to use up what's in the fridge but now I haven't got much protein.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #1311
Bike Tart

I got my call back....he wants me to go to physical therapy....works for me. I can have them help me set up a workout plan/schedule that will work the best!

I've ordered a couple of supplements and will revamp the menu here over the next week or so. Have to use up what we have before getting too many new things.

I feel like there will be progress...
Old 03-13-2014, 04:25 AM   #1312

Happy Thursday!!

Wow! I'm so happy for you. You sound like you have a plan of action and ready to do this!!!

Had a small bounce from yesterday which makes my official loss for the week only .5.

Looking back I'm only averaging about .5 a week. I really wanted to lose 2.5 to 3.5lbs. {{sigh}}

I guess I can be happy I'm losing anything, considering the volume of food I've been eating.

And obviously there's more to the story since my next goal jeans are almost ready for public viewing.

It just boggles the mind a bit that I'll be able to wear them at 15lbs heavier than the last time I wore them.

Oh well.....

I'm tossing around the idea of a counted down day/up day rotation again. Instead of just going by instincts. Yet, I'm not sure I want to add that stress in right now.

Today's workout is 45 minutes on the bike. Guys did theirs yesterday since they have outside classes today. I plan on doing my workout after they leave for classes. I love having one day completely to myself.

Last edited by DarkSiren; 03-13-2014 at 04:26 AM..
Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #1313
Bike Tart

Good Morning! Scale is the same....made a few choices yesterday that weren't the best.

I'm having a hard time right now....feeling overwhelmed with everything again. I know I have to just take one thing at a time but right now I really, really need to find last year's tax return....I've found everything but that. The mountains of papers that need organizing are crazy. With all that's been going on the past few years I've gotten so far behind in it all. I cleaned in the computer room last night for a bit...well, I sort of organized it. I brought a lot of the papers that need sorting and filing to the living room to do while I watch recorded stuff (behind in that, too). I'll bring the old laptop in here to enter receipts so I can toss the ones I don't need to keep. I really need to get a better handle on all of this. I want to be able to empty out the desk in there to take it to DS's house and turn that room back into a bedroom with a smaller desk to hold the printer and a few other office things.

DH brought home germs and was feeling sick on Monday and Tuesday....I think he shared it with me....my sinuses hurt and my head feels heavy. Just what I need right now.

Bought a rotisserie chicken for lunch today. I can use any leftovers to make chicken salad. Need to boil eggs, clean and prepare veggies, make some protein bars and balls and I'm trying a new recipe for a ginger spice fat bomb type snack for me.

Will get a half hour on the treadmill again tonight...
Old 03-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #1314

Happy Friday!!

Sooooooo glad it's Friday!!!

Bouncy...Bouncy.... The scale is back up.

I find these bounces hilarious since I basically eat the same thing every day these days.

The only thing I can think is it's in reaction to the weight lifting or anything that really uses my muscles. After light days the scale drops and after strength,step aerobics, or KB days it goes back up.

I feel like I'm never going to break through this weight wall that I'm at right now and it kind of drives me nuts because I am getting smaller. I know... I know... I'm not supposed to be focusing on the scale but jeez... I'd love to just get into a new set of numbers for a while.

Okay... fit pitching is done.....
Old 03-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #1315
Bike Tart

Scale is the same here.....better than up...I'm with you, though...would love to break through to a new low!

I am heading to town for a massage with Dirk....can't wait! Then stopping at Mom's for a bit to check in on them.

When I get back I will concentrate on finding last year's tax return so we can take it in next week. Ugh! I have a plan for the mountains of paperwork.....will get started on it this weekend if I can.

Last night's treadmill time turned into bike time instead. I walked about 10 minutes and just couldn't deal with it so I hopped on the bike for 20 minutes to finish out a half hour of exercise. I got the call to schedule PT so I'm going next week on Thursday for the evaluation and then will schedule what I need while I'm there.

No meat today so I'll be trying a new gf pizza crust tonight....will make it a cheese/garlic pizza...not in the mood for other toppings....no sauce so it will be more like cheesy garlic bread....will grab a piece of cheese on the way out to the massage. Don't like to eat much before I go.

That's it for now! Have a good one!
Old 03-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #1316

Happy Saturday!!

Hope the pizza crust came out okay. I'm planning on trying a plantain pizza crust next week if I can get some green plantains.

The scale is back down and again... all with the same foods. No change in the types or amounts. My body just does what it does.

I did try on those next size jeans and they aren't quite ready for wearing in public but I can breathe and sit down in them. I may just be able to wear them out by the end of next week.

Once I can do that I will decide what my next gift to myself will be. The first one was a little teeny tiny owl necklace that is soooo adorable.

I'm thinking either a workout outfit or new workout shoes for my next one.

Yesterday's strength day was done this morning. I got so busy making sure everyone else did theirs that I forgot mine.

So I did that this morning before my yoga session. Later we'll go to the ball field and do some sprints. I can't wait.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:59 AM   #1317
Bike Tart

Good Morning! Scale at a new low! One more pound down! It sure was nice to see it!

I ended up not making the pizza yesterday. When I got home from my massage I was really tired so I took a nap. By the time I was ready to make dinner I just wasn't in the mood to make anything at all. I had made tuna salad (the night before) for DH so he had that and I sauteed some radishes (I had bought them already cut into matchstick pieces) and topped them with some cheese and sour cream. They were so good! I have enough left to make the rest for breakfast today and I'll top them with a couple of eggs. They were the closest thing to hashbrowns that I've ever had. Will definitely make them again.

Lots to do today. DS is coming over to get his TV and stand out of the guest bedroom, he'll help DH reassemble the ping pong table, there is a desk to take to the basement (it belongs to a friend that lives out of state....I'll have to remind her we still have it!). I have to work on the mountains of papers. Tonight we're going out to see BIL's band play and then hot tubbing when we get home.

I think I have a sinus infection or something...my face hurts and it feels kind of sloshy in there. I'm going to do a sinus rinse today to see if that helps.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:47 AM   #1318

Happy Sunday!!

Congrats on the new low!!! you don't have a sinus infection or that if you do you can get over it quickly.

Bouncy, Bouncy... the scale is back down for me.... Not technically a "new" low but the lowest it's been in a while. Only thing done differently was I was out of avocados and sweet potatoes yesterday. I'll buy more when we go shopping today but I may skip for another day or two to test my theory.

Today's workout is the 2hr hike/walk but we have so much to do shopping wise that I may just count the shopping as the movement today. When you grocery shop at 3 different stores, one of which is one of those big super stores, you get a ton of walking in already.

Although if the weather is nice and I feel like a walk after dinner I think we'll still do one.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #1319
Bike Tart

The dreaded bounce up today...4lbs! Ack! I didn't do anything different yesterday so I just have to wait it out.

My sinuses feel better today so that's a good thing. I slept better....almost 7 hours I think!

Getting a foot massage today if she remembers to come! LOL! Will be glad to have time with her because she may be the one I see for PT after the evaluation.

I need to clean my kitchen, prepare some food, clean my house....have to find time for the treadmill and/or bike....not doing any other exercise till I get my PT evaluation. I really need head to toe exercises to get my strength and fitness back. I am hoping that I can start biking in another month or two. I'll drive over to the park with my bike and just ride the beach parking lot for now....it's about a half mile around and fairly flat...a good start...as I get stronger I can venture out into the park more.

Messaged with Kayli yesterday...haven't seen her in a couple of weeks....she's busy with rehearsals for the school musical so she is busy every night till mid April. Will have to settle for messages for now....
Old 03-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #1320

Happy Monday!!

Sorry about the bounce up. Hopefully it comes down quickly. Is it because you were done with your medicine that was helping?? You may have to wait for it to balance out again.

Scale did another drop today. A number I haven't seen in some weeks. So, I have high hopes that this means I may finally be breaking through that wall. Just one more pound and I will have!!!

Exercise today is 45 minutes on the spin bike for the guys. Still haven't gotten a new seat for me so I'll have to do something else.

We have a Roku set up on the tv with access to youtube so I've been bookmarking a lot of interesting looking exercise videos. Plus the roku has a fitness channel. So I'll figure something out.

DD has her Endo appointment today but since her bloodwork came back awesome we're not really that worried about it.

Now I'm off to finish catching up with online stuff then start my yoga for the day.