Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DarkSiren
WOE: What Ever it Takes!!!!
Start Date: Every Day is a New Start
I would definitely work on the upper body while the lower body is out of commission.

Chinese sounds good.... I'm glad the hubby isn't here because he'd run right out and get me some the minute I said that.

so far today:
coffee

planned:
shakes, shakes, and more shakes
dinner: fish and veggies
snack: handful almonds if needed
DarkSiren is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #32
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Sitting here with an icepack strapped on my foot...PT in less than an hour. Lots of chores that need doing.....my sister/girls will be arriving in about 12 hours...

Had some bacon for breakfast and will have chicken legs for lunch....maybe some green beans or salad, too.
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #33
Bike Tart

PT went well...treatments/massage on my foot....sitting in the recliner all afternoon....heading out shortly to my new book club....first get together! Can't wait....I'm sure there will be snacks there that are not on plan and I will do my best to stay away! I'm going to ask about everyone's food likes/dislikes, etc. so when it's my turn to host I can have something for everyone...

Nothing else new...going to eat a few chicken legs before I head out....
Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #34

Happy Weekend!!

It's crazy busy here.... Have to do all the Dad jobs along with all the Mom jobs this weekend. I'm glad I only have to be a part time single parent. I don't know how people do it all the time.

so far:
coffee
banana

planned:
I'll have a heavier lunch than usual to compensate for mowing the grass and other heavy duty chores today. don't need to be fainting on the kiddos.

I'll keep dinner light unless I feel like I need it.

exercise:
yard/house work is all I need today.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #35
Bike Tart

I did fairly well at book club last night....she had food that fit right in for me! Chicken skewers w/a few pieces of pineapple, strawberries, cubes of cheese...I had a couple of very small, thin crackers, too...

My sister and her girls came last night and spent the night...lots of talking and laughing!

DS left at noon for the weekend....went out of town to stay with extended family cousins to help with remodeling. DH just went to work....I have to go to Mom's for a bit and then home to enjoy some alone time with a movie or two....have to keep my feet up!

We gladly feast on those who would subdue us! - Addams Family Creed

My Facebook
Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #36

Sounds like a productive weekend.

You did much better than me. I went completely off plan yesterday. Feeling sorry for myself because I was missing hubby and making such yummy homemade food for the kiddos did me in.

Also bought a bunch of shakes and stuff to start fully on shakes and lean/greens on Monday. So, I guess part of me dipped into the old days with, "I might as well enjoy it while I can.". Not thinking about having more weight lose because of it. Water weight yes but still....

Not planning my menu today... Just going with the flow....
Old 05-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #37
Bike Tart

I'm having a challenging weekend here, too....the pain and inactivity is what did me in yesterday so dinner by myself was potato chips and a wine cooler.... which of course left me totally unsatisfied all evening.

I am sadly thinking of sending DH for pizza again mostly because I just can't stand up long enough to cook without pain...and nothing sounds good....need to get over this soon!

Like you, I'm not thinking about the extra work it will take to deal with this in a few days....
Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #38

Happy Monday!!

I didn't do as much damage as I had expected from Saturday. Of course being sick all day yesterday probably helped.

Today begins my new Day 1 and I'm hoping to see a brand new low number by my anniversary in June. The anniversary of when my body FINALLY started cooperating and letting me lose more than a couple pounds.

I'm also going to take some "in progress" photos. I don't consider them my before pictures since I have some at my highest for that.

Just changing up the game plan a bit since I've learned how to maintain for the last year and now it's time to shake things up and start moving down all the way to my final goal.

Wish me luck.....

Since my days will be shakes.... I'll only be posting dinners and update with any slip ups during the day. But since I spent the first year completely cheat free I am hoping to do that again this time around.

Planned:
dinner:
loaded cauliflower (with tomato/meat sauce)
Old 05-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #39
Bike Tart

Back from PT....still in a lot of pain but need to do something more than just sit so I'm going to start doing my indoor bike....a little bit at a time, I guess.

Food over the weekend was terrible....no good reason other than I was miserable and wanted crap food....so I had it! Makes me mad because I know it doesn't help and I did it anyways....well, time to get over it and move on!

Not sure what I'll be eating today....have to check the fridge to see what's in there.

I think I'm going to order the TRX straps today, too....I really think that if I can be fairly active without aggravating my feet that I will be able to get back on track easier....I need to feel strong again!

Dawn, do you use premade shakes or make your own? I really need to get busy and do shakes again, too....I make my own so I'm thinking I need to get all the stuff I add into a basket so it's easier to just grab the stuff and make it quick.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #40

Hey Linda,

Really depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll make them from scratch using recipes I've found around the net. And sometimes I'll use throw some whey protein into some water or coconut milk with ice and go.

My main goal each day will be keeping cals really low since that's the only time my thyroid lets me lose and keeping carbs between 80 and 100 since that's where I feel my best.

There is a shake recipe in one of my books that I can post later if you'd like it. I believe it was originally in a Dana Carpender book. I'd have to double check. Not sure if you have any of her books.

I'm excited to see what she does for her new Paleo book.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #41

okay here it goes. My notes are in bold:

1/3C instant dry skim milk(if avoiding dairy there is a powdered coconut milk available)
2 heaping tablespoons protein powder(must be without carbs, vanilla recommended)
1t cold pressed safflower oil(not good for you so maybe coconut oil instead)
oil can be left out if you add Lecithin(non soy is best and granule is best for texture), Flax seeds, or nut butter
1/4t white stevia extract powder, or more or less to taste (I find when I make my own protein shakes I usually don't need to add sweetener)
3/4 to 1C cold water
3 to 5 ice cubes
1/4t guar or xanthum gums (optional for a thicker shake)(I think I read somewhere that one or both of these has gluten so I would be careful if avoiding)

At this point choose your flavoring
options:

unsweetened cocoa powder and instant coffee powder.

nut butter and vanilla extract (keep in mind that butters will substantially raise calories and carbs if you're drinking more than one shake a day)

berries are another option... about half a cup

the options are endless really

Depending on what you use to flavor then the carbs will probably fall in around 15 to 20 carbs.... As long as you're not super carb sensitive then this is quite alright.

I have found personally that I can handle up to around 25g per meal/snack and that's with being considered pre-diabetic at times.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #42
Bike Tart

Thanks, Dawn.....I usually make mine with coconut milk and whey protein powder as the base and then add all kinds of stuff depending on mood or what's in the cupboard...

Here's a list of the stuff I may add:

unflavored gelatin
powdered supplements
cocoa powder (dark chocolate)
stevia or DaVinci's
chia seeds
coconut oil
berries

I'm sure I've left stuff out....if I use berries, I use vanilla protein powder but if I go with chocolate I use chocolate protein powder. I'm looking into getting a greens supplement again...used to use one several years ago...

I just think that until all this foot/leg trouble gets cleared up that the inflammation I feel is going to prevent any good loss no matter what I do....

I do have a few of Dana Carpender's books so I'll go look through them...I'm always up for some new ideas!

I've been reading a bit about bone broth for some extra nutrition and bought the stuff to make some...it's basically just meat broth....I can make it in the crockpot so I'll do that tomorrow....I'm looking for something when I don't really want to eat anything but need something.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #43

Your shakes sound good, Linda. The one I posted was from her first book, How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds.

If I need something in between meals I usually make the Vanilla Chai Breakfast Shake that I have pinned on my "Special Treats Only/Primal/Paleo".
I omit the banana if I need to save carbs. Instead I'll add my no carb vanilla protein powder and some ice cubes.

Also if I need to up my cals I love love love the avocado shake from Mark's Daily. That link is also pinned on my Paleo/Primal board.

Anyway, ended up having a weird allergic reaction to something last night and got the hives. Not sure what it was......... Had to take benedryl and pepcid ac for a double dose of histamine blocking. That's what they usually give me in the hospital.

I was okay after about 40 minutes but still had some in my ear making it an interesting night. LOL

planned today:
dinner: something with fish and veggies
shakes for all other meals/snacks

I'm already down a couple pounds. Which honestly shocked me because when I take benedryl I end up munching like a maniac afterward. Last night was no exception.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #44
Bike Tart

I'm glad the drugs helped!

I slept with a different brace on my foot....more of a wrap than than the hard brace. I think it helped! I'll see how things go today.

I think if my foot feels ok later today I'll try to do a bunch of cooking....it needs to get done before the food spoils. I'm thinking of getting all my dry stuff portioned for shakes so I don't have to drag out several containers every time I want a shake....if I do a week's worth at a time, that would help.

I know all my apathy toward the diet and weight loss is due to the pain, inflammation and inability to do much so I'm hoping to get started with some exercise again today.

Congrats on the loss! I hope to be heading in the right direction soon!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #45

Had another allergic reaction yesterday.... So far today I'm okay... fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

I'm up on the scale today. But I had a lot of sodium yesterday and not really surprised.

Going to do lots of flushing out today.

planned for today:
shakes
dinner: pork chops and veggies

Tons to do today so not sure if I'll get around to exercise.
Yesterday I was just plain lazy.
So, I really "should" do something.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #46
Bike Tart

PT this morning, went to Walmart after lunch....got a few things for Mom and stuff for me.

I have a crockpot with bone broth simmering right now...it smells good so I hope it's tasty. I thought it would be a good idea to have some of that when I'm feeling the munchies....we'll see if it works...
Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #47

I'm gaining again..... My latest thyroid numbers were beautiful.... there is no reason for this.... I'm so tired of having to starve myself to lose anything... giving up because I get hungry only to gain it all back. I will never see Onederland at this rate.

I'm so sick of this......... I've cried all the tears I can cry and I just feel literally physically ill......

I even broke out my old medifast that hadn't expired and tried that instead of my regular shakes... and that's what I had the severe allergic reactions to... after going so long without soy my body now lets me know just how much it doesn't like it. I even tried one day with the non-soy products but something else in the formula caused yet another allergic reaction.... So it's either do the program and live on benedryl or figure something else out...

I'm just soooo tired..... I'm finally at that point where I honestly do want to give up..... I don't want to maintain over 200lbs... but I'm tired of the constant struggle...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #48
Bike Tart

Dawn, I'm sorry you're having these problems after so much success....maybe just maintain for a bit to give your body some down time...I know you want to keep going but it's hard to be on top of it all the time and maybe a short break while still eating at maintenance levels will do some good and recharge you for starting again.

I think my feet may finally be getting a bit better....I sure hope so! Still haven't done much exercise...I'm at the point of being afraid to do anything because of pain or a set back....have to get over that!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #49

I hear ya... and that's what I'm seriously considering.

I just really did not want to spend another summer hiding because of my body.

You would think I'd be ecstatic that I'm down 100lbs but I'm just a slightly smaller version of the original body.

I was so ready to be considered a little more "normal" this summer.

The hubby thinks that the stress of all the dieting may be backfiring and sabotaging me so he's also suggesting just maintaining for a while.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #50
Bike Tart

I agree with your Hubby.....and I know exactly what you mean about wishing you'd be closer to normal.

I am so frustrated that all the hard work I've done over the last 8 years is wasted now...back to the same I was then....I know some of it is my own doing but not all of it...I just don't know what to do anymore. And I'm worried that I don't care enough to work hard at it anymore...I'm just so tired of all of it. I love eating low carb/primal and I love working out (even though I can't right now) so maybe I'll just coast along for now. I really believe that once all the physical things get fixed I'll be able to concentrate on losing....
Old 05-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: beth30
Stats: What are they???
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2005
I am maintaining...up 15 from my lowest....but our family grief is kicking my behind. Zac flunked out of college last fall, and bummed around....always working, but with no cash to speak of....and Tim had an abusive girlfriend that he hung onto because he was afraid to face life without his twin...and Matt told his counselor that he felt like he lost his whole family..
NOW,
Z headed out yesterday to stay with family friends in Georgia for 10 days before going to Ocean City NJ in an internship that our Pastor's got him into...

T finally let Miss Abusive and Manipulative go after months of drama, including having her Mom stand in front of our house yelling with the police there and recently, us calling 911 on little Miss Abusive for trying to use threats of suicide to hang on to Tim...what a Jerry Springer-style mess that whole family is!!

And, finally, last night, with Z gone and Little Miss Abusive gone, FINALLY, Tim broke down and lost it, staying up all night crying.....because, he now has to face life without his twin...

I am exhausted. I have changed jobs twice, trying to find the right balance between paying bills and being Mom...Rich and I have NO time to grieve and no counseling....we are hanging by a very frayed thread....

I love you both, but I have nothing to post that is encouraging or weight loss related when I struggle just to meet the boys' immediate needs.....

TRYING TO FOCUS ON NOT EMOTIONALLY EATING!!!
beth30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #52

Glad to see you Beth. I don't think I need to tell you again that we just want to "see" you. It doesn't have to be perfectly happy, perfectly supportive...etc.... We you sweetie!!! And we're always here waiting.

Glad some things seem to be finally falling into place and some of you are moving into the next stage of grieving. Unfortunately putting it off will make it worse. Plus with being a twin I'm sure it's 100x's worse than what any one of us could imagine.

Maybe you need to maintain just being healthy for a while too Linda.

I'm here.. It's been the week from heck and I'm ready for it to be over with. Hubby is finally on the way back home and should be here tomorrow Night if all the stars align.

I'm on a down bounce today..... Up a pound... Down a pound... that is my current life story....

I think at this point I'll just leave weight off here until/unless I see a significant drop to an "OMGosh it's an entirely new number" level.

So, I'm on plan.... I'm doing good.... No extra snacking at the moment... Getting my water in.... I just seriously need to be more consistent with my slow steady movement.

I tend to either be sitting on my booty working on lessons or doing an intense workout. Nothing in between.

Working on it....
Old 05-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #53
Bike Tart

Beth, I'm glad you came in....been wondering how you are....I agree with Dawn....it isn't necessary that you are positive with weight, etc. You're part of our little group and we're always here for you..... I'm sorry you've been through so much extra stuff and I'm praying for all of your family that things will improve...

PT went well....feet are slowly improving...

Working on plans for a picnic on Monday....granddaughter and her Mom are coming!

Haven't been on the scale in ages...need to get back on track all the way!

Have to go make lunch for the hub before he leaves for work....if I don't get in here much this weekend, have a great weekend!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #54

Well, I've ended the time that hubby was gone with only a 2lb loss. This is just ridiculous.

Oh well.....what can I do but keep trucking on....

I'm still going to do the homemade shakes and lean meats... with the occasional veggies... But I'm going to "attempt" to take a more relaxed approach.

I'm hoping by relaxing that everything else will fall into place for me.

so far today:
coffee with coconut milk

planned:
coconut oil/coconut milk/protein shakes
chicken sausage
macadamia nuts if needed to offset nausea
dinner: not sure yet

exercise:
tons of cleaning to do and it will be fairly labor intensive so I'm sure I'll work off a few calories.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #55

Good Morning....

New Week... New Day.....

Trying to start fresh with a new attitude.

Going to do maintenance levels of JUDDD and see if I'll be one of the lucky ones that still lose weight anyway. But not gonna stress about it....

As for food choices... I'm going to go with the flow... I'll keep it low carb and low cal but if I choose to have a couple crackers with my tuna I'm not gonna freak out about it as long as I meet all my ballpark numbers.

This is my cooling off period diet wise.....

BUT... I will be working out hardcore during this time as well.... in fact my weight may even go up in response to the muscle building sooooooooo
No scale for 30 days.... I will go by how my clothing is fitting... Eeeeek....

so far today:
coffee with coconut milk

planned:
I have no clue... but it's a MDD(maintenance down day)(I made that up )
probably a banana and protein shake
definitely some burgers for dinner
I'll take mac nuts to the movies
other than that.....

exercise:
I'll be doing a lot of standing this morning with some work I need to get done.... So, I'll incorporate squats, leg lifts, etc... to get movement... I'll also take a nice long walk to stretch my legs after dinner.... I'm tired of waiting for the family to be in the mood to go with me so I'm just gonna go and if they choose to tag along... then so be it....
Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #56

Okay... JUDDD did NOT happen... I don't know why I ever try to stick to any plan during a holiday.

Now I'm going to do some experimenting over the next few weeks... I'm not going to say how or when I change things up. But if something kicks in and works for me then I'll write out what I was doing.

Just don't feel like sharing failures right now. I need happy.

I'm here.. and I'm currently on "my plan".......
Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #57
Bike Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSiren View Post
Okay... JUDDD did NOT happen... I don't know why I ever try to stick to any plan during a holiday.

Now I'm going to do some experimenting over the next few weeks... I'm not going to say how or when I change things up. But if something kicks in and works for me then I'll write out what I was doing.

Just don't feel like sharing failures right now. I need happy.

I'm here.. and I'm currently on "my plan".......
Do whatever you have to do to find what works for you! I didn't do great over the weekend but not as bad as I thought I might do...had a great afternoon with family yesterday...good pool time! I got a bit of sun but not too bad...

Tonight is granddaughter's choir concert at school...DS and I are going...her Mom said she has a solo! Will try to record it if we get decent seats...

I ordered the training straps today...I should be able to do some good upper body work as soon as they arrive! I hope I can start back with kbs next week...
Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #58

I'm here again and currently on "a" plan.

Glad you had a good weekend Linda!!
Hope the concert went great as well!!

Yesterday's attempt at a "plan" didn't go as well as I would have hoped but it didn't completely suck either.

Fine tuning today.

I will say that I'm attempting to get back into IM(intermittent fasting). Because I can do that with what ever eating I'm doing at the time so it doesn't matter what plan I'm on really. That will mean I stop eating at 6pm and then eat again no earlier than 10am the next morning. For a full 16hrs.

I do remember having great success with that in the past so I'm going to tack that on no matter which version of a eating plan ends up working for me.

exercise:
will be interesting but I've GOT to get it done... ugh...... Once school is out it'll get much easier... Kids and I have already begun talking about all the walks, tennis, soccer, etc... that we'll be doing. Just have to get through the end of school stuff first.

In the mean time... Walking when ever I can... Body weight exercises everyday. KBs when I'm up to it. Kind of fell off that KB program so I'm going to reread the book and try to get back into it for summer.

I won't be anywhere near my first HUGE goal by my b'day this summer. So, I want to try to make it before school starts back up again and things get harder for me.

Last edited by DarkSiren; 05-30-2012 at 05:15 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #59
Bike Tart

Back from PT....I have new issues to deal with that started last night...at Kayli's concert I had to sit with my legs straight ahead with not much wiggle room....when I got up and I had extreme pain in my knee joint which did not improve after icing it last night....so now more stretches, heat packs, ice packs.....blah, blah, blah!

I had a nice time at the concert last night....Kayli did great although her solo was very, very short....glad I brought the iPad along because DS used it to take pics and got better ones that I had with my camera....

So after a little thought, I am going to do a few days, maybe more, of protein only once I can get to the store and get what I need. I need a jumpstart and this is a good way for me to do it....

Hopefully both of us will be going in the right direction soon!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 AM   #60

Morning Ladies!!

Sorry you've got more problems Linda. Glad you're already going to PT so you can get some help.

Good luck with the protein only days. I think it's probably what you need to push the reset button.

If I didn't have a bunch of veggies to use I'd probably do the same thing.

Still here.... scale is still going up but then I started TOM so.... not unexpected. Now that it's started though I'm hoping things will go back in the right direction for the next couple weeks.

I think if I didn't have to deal with hormone fluctuations I'd probably lose continuously through out the month... Because.... I lose... then TOM starts and I gain... then I lose some but not all of what I gained... ending the month basically weighing the same as when it started. It's a roller coaster that I would be very happy to get off.