Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CatherineA
WOE: formerly LC; trying JUDDD 2322.464
Start Date: 5/4/12
The Second Half - Redux

Today is my one year anniversary surviving an aortic aneurysm and dissection...so I'm taking the Second Half pretty seriously. My backstory is that, like many women, I've battled my weight since puberty...tried every diet plan known to woman. I've had my share of success and failures. In 2001 injuries sidelined me and health suffered. I started LC Atkins and was a slow loser but eventually lost 40 lbs....then last year's health situation and all the lost weight found me again.

I saw my physician on Thursday and got on the scale for the first time since 10/11...whoa. He's ok with the gain but I'm not....I've been on the SeeFood diet train and it stopped yesterday morning.

Trying out JUDDD since it seems to offer a more workable plan for my current situation. So far so good

Hoping to get the 35lbs off this summer and find my stamina in the process.
CatherineA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Had my first DD (Down Day) on JUDD yesterday and it wasn't too bad. My DD calorie limit is 464. I had just my usual coffee in the morning and expected to have an omelet at about 2p but unexpected visitors came by and my plan evaporated...so by 5:30p I was pretty hungry. It was good to feel hungry but I realize I do need to have a back-up plan. The night time snacking hour got my attention to and I gave in to a diet rootbeer. Don't want to make that a habit, though.

So, got on the scale this morning and it has MOVED. Pretty gratifying but I'm not jumping to conclusions - yet. I take an rx for edema (due to my surgery) so don't think the scale movement is water weight...but this is only Day 3. My first Atkins Induction was a lousy 2lbs in two weeks (and I followed Induction to.the.letter.)

My DH is not supportive of my new eating plan - he's worried it will affect my condition but I hardly ate for a month after surgery and there were no adverse reactions (well, I lost 20# but it came right back....).

So...today is UP and I broke my fast this morning with a generous breakfast (eggs/sausage)....

I just read this post and sheesh...BORING
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Hi Catherine. I am trying the JUDD/LC with mixed reviews. I felt like I was eating too many calories on the LC so I decided to do a modified JUDD. I am counting my calories every other day and trying to stay at 1000 calories on my DD. On my UD, I don't calories, just carbs.

I have suffered with illness for the past ten years and it really shows. I have gained about 50 pounds in 8 years. I was already on the heavy side, so 50 pounds just put me in the morbidly obese category.

I have decided that no matter what, I am sticking with this. This site has helped me find lots of good recipes and so far I'm not bored AT ALL!.

Good luck! BTW, my journal is REALLY boring.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Hi cfine! Thanks for stopping by!

So far, this JUDDD WOE is working out for me....the DD aren't too bad so far. I've read (here) that I need to give it a few weeks at least to see how it works....fingers crossed!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Second DD for me....yesterday I really ate....seemed so weird. But no big bounce this morning on the scale so.....

Its a work day and we'll see how that affects the DD....have a HB egg for this morning and plan a late DD lunch with a snack at dinner. Need to shop for more DD choices - handy things as back ups.

better get going here
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

work was a mess yesterday so my DD plan went out the window. I did stick exactly to my DD calorie limit but was headachey by the time I ate my dinner. I don't think it was the calories necessarily - I think it was the J.O.B.

Today is an UP day but so far there's nothing UP about it (except I just put a pan of home made bagels in the oven....guilt free!)
Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

another unpleasant day at work...could/can feel the stress coursing through my veins. B/P gave me fits all day and I got a call that I have to go have more blood tests at the dr. tomorrow....whoa...

And apparently I'm experiencing my first bounce...Mr. Scale says we're up one 1lb. Although I am sticking (and recording) to my calorie limits both UP and DD.

today is a DD - just copied and pasted my last DD into ******....

the weather is gorgeous and I'm thinking maybe I'll play hooky this morning and plant in my vegetable garden.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

rough day yesterday - stress and work wise. exceeded by DD calories and ended up at 502 for the day instead of 464.

Weighed this morning and I am down 9.2# for the week...I'll take it!

heading to the dr. so a quick weigh there is in order...expecting a 2# difference due to street clothes...

and today we EAT
Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

TGIF - this has been a rough week work wise. And yesterday was awful. Am taking most of today off to try and work in my garden. I am now in my 7th month of recovery and feel like I ought to be able to do more...we'll see how it goes.

Oh - its a DD so my few pitiful calories are ready and waiting. I need to remember how luckyand privileged I am to have so much when many have so little.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

yesterday was like watching a car wreck in slow motion....you could see it coming but couldn't stop it.

As a result, I suspect, I'm a little under the weather this morning. B/P is too low this morning for me to sit up well. I'll wait an hour and see what happens. Mr. Scale barely budged but its probably a result of Stress (capital *s*)....

an Up day so I just had two poached eggs and a piece of toast with my usual coffee. If I can manage it I'll go to the grocery and make a nice comforting pot roast for dinner.....
Old 05-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

whoa....apparently we've had a little boomerang here according to Mr. Scale. I guess when you add stress + stress + hormones you get a BOUNCE. Let's hope it goes away tomorrow and takes some of its friends, eh?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

still reeling from all the stress...hopefully it will settle down by next Monday...we'll see. Charting my calories, sticking really close on DDs...less strict on UDs. Not feeling well but not related to JUDDD....trying to stave off the depression.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

today is my 2 week mark - I'm down 10 lbs even. Not bad given my history of slow losing on other plans. I'm eating DDs at 500 now....464 works until about 7p...and I can't go to bed that early every other night

This WOE seems much more doable and there's nothing like significant results to help stay on track.

In other news, work has settled some which means a bit of the stress is gone...but not enough. Planning to RELAX all weekend -
Old 05-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

BOINGGGGG

oh well
Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Cake Recipes for Adillenal

Sour Cream Pound Cake (Mrs. Yutan/Piano Teacher Pound Cake)

Grease an angel food pan and cover bottom generously with toasted chopped pecans. Pre heat oven to 350

Cream together:
1C butter
2C Sugar (tried Splenda - ok but watch baking carefully)
4 beaten egg yolks (farm eggs make it beautifully golden)
1C sour cream
1.5 tsp good vanilla

Sift together then add to creamed mixture slowly
3C AP flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

In a separate chilled bowl, whip egg whites to stiff peaks then fold into batter.

Spread/pour (mine never pours) into prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes but check at 50 minutes - insert a knife at two places in batter to check for completed baking.

remove from oven and cool for 30min on a rack - then unmold cake and continue to cool for 1 hour. Keeps well - not too sweet - great with coffee.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Angel Food Cake

This is the recipe I generally use for AFC

Angel Food Cake
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Prep Time:
20 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
35 min
Level:
Intermediate
Serves:
10 to 12 servings

Ingredients
• 1 3/4 cups sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup cake flour, sifted
• 12 egg whites (the closer to room temperature the better)
• 1/3 cup warm water
• 1 teaspoon orange extract, or extract of your choice/I use vanilla
• 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is superfine. Sift half of the sugar with the salt the cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside.
In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, orange extract, and cream of tartar. After 2 minutes, switch to a hand mixer. Slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed. Once you have achieved medium peaks, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula fold in gently. Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.
Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry).
Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.

Catherine's note: It is tradition in our family to cool the cake in the pan placed upside down on a soda bottle (7-UP) but I've resorted to wine bottles now ;-)
Cook's Note: Since they're easier to separate use the freshest eggs you can get.
Serves: 10; Calories: 208; Total Fat: 0 grams; Saturated Fat: 0 grams; Protein: 5 grams; Total carbohydrates: 47 grams; Sugar: 36 grams; Fiber: 0 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 115 milligrams

This cake will hold up to a light frosting but doesn't really need it. Best with fresh fruit and HWC
Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Recipe ideas for using up leftover egg yolks (after making Angel Food Cake):

creme brulee, homemade mayo, flan, puddings/custards, egg noodles.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

got shaky today and ended up going over my DD cals by 100...sigh....tomorrow is a 'nother day
Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

hanging in..the bounce is in my favor this morning but not by much, lol
Old 05-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

and now we bounce the other way...its the MAUP...morning after up day (aka DD) so I shouldn't be surprised...maybe I shouldn't weigh myself on MAUP days....just sayin'
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

well today we have a little drop in poundage after yesterday's DD....I wonder if I'm like others who have a bigger whoosh just one week a month. I've been doing this WOE since 5/4 so today has been 3 weeks! Let the JUDDD magic begin!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

the last two days have been *stressful* at work so today I'm taking it easy...a DD so no weigh but I do think that the lbs. are dropping a little bit at a time....11 lbs so far...YAY
Old 05-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

oh my - the weekend was a bust. I am feeling bad healthwise and can't seem to figure out what it is now....my #s are ok but the rx side effects are back. I wonder if its cyclical hormone stuff? That might also explain the nasty lb. bounces too...