Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   Removing thorns from the purple rose (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/768408-removing-thorns-purple-rose.html)

purple rose 04-19-2012 07:14 AM

Removing thorns from the purple rose

I have always been an extremely private person.

So much has happened in my life in the last year and it is difficult to remember it all, so I have decided to write it down.

I have been doing Callanetics for 6 months now and it has completely changed my life.

Before I started, my body was to the point of a tired 70 year-old man.
(I walked like Tim Conway doing his old man impression)

I had no energy, constant knee pain and no libido. I had been in perimenopause for about 2 years and I felt like any future I had would be grim and painful.

I have been the same weight (give or take 10 lbs) since I gave birth to my first son. Yes, I have been overweight for years but it never bothered me. (except for my "Santa belly") I knew that all my maternal aunts and grandmother were extremely overweight, so I figured it was my destiny.

My weight has never been an issue before 2008. I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome. My doctor put me on high blood pressure meds, high cholesterol meds and metformin for pre-diabetes. He told me to lose 40 pounds. At that time, I weighed 195.

Dieting was a new concept to me. The last diet I had been on was in 1983.

I started a diet program that was a cross between the Atkins and the American Diabetics diet. But, I knew I had to give up my sodas. I was drinking (6) 20 oz bottles per day. I dropped my carbs to below 20 per day and started eating more fruit instead of unhealthy snacks. I lost 35 pounds in about 2 weeks. The pounds just melted off me.

Fast forward to 6-8 months later. My blood sugar was better and I was off the metformin, my blood pressure was better and my triglycerides went from 376 to 175. I felt great.....enter perimenopause.

purple rose 04-19-2012 07:29 AM

The weight started coming back and my knees were hurting constantly when I would bend down or squat.

I was having hot flashes, night sweats and my libido was gone. I was also having problems sleeping (going to sleep and staying asleep).
Luckily, my doctor told me to start taking a natural estrogen enhancer (Estroven). I also started taking a daily aspirin to keep my blood thin.

I had an x-ray on my knees because it was becoming too painful to even walk. They stated that there was minor deterioration but did not advise anything for it.

Fast forward another year. My hot flashes and night sweats were gone but I started have problems with heavy periods. And...all my weight was back.

I quit taking the daily aspirin and things became a little better.

Even though I was still having minor problems, I continued to ignore them for another year or so. My job was extremely busy and I had no time for anything else. I would come home from work, cook dinner and pass out by 8.

2011 would be the turning point in my life. I had lost my job of 11 years...

purple rose 04-19-2012 07:43 AM

Losing my job was devastating to me. After the inital shock wore off...I became depressed.

I was taking daily doses of Xanax to help me cope. This seemed the only way to help me sleep.

My health problems were not getting any better and the doctor put me back on metformin.
My knees were still hurting and it was difficult for me to walk to the kitchen without pain.

My monthly flows were getting worse and my GP suggested an ultrasound.
I would have to wait 2 months to see a GYN.

In October, I decided that enough was enough...

I pulled out my copy of Callan's book and attempted to start the exercises again. (I had started them once in 1986.)

At first, I did not think to track my progress. But after the 3rd session, I was seeing amazing results and started taking measurements.

purple rose 04-19-2012 07:54 AM

My measurements at the beginning of the third session were:

Bust = 42
Waist = 42
Hips = 47
Thighs= 22
Arms = 14 1/2 (upper)
Arms = 15 (above elbow)

By the time I had completed 10 sessions I had lost at least 10 inches.

My clothes were becoming loose on me and I was developing more energy.

Even though the book gives great details, there is nothing like seeing the moves in action. So, I purchased a copy of the DVD. I also purchased the Evolution and CardioCallanetics DVD.

After see the 10/10 video, I realized that I was doing several of the exercises wrong.

purple rose 04-19-2012 08:14 AM

After my 10th session, I started using the Evolution DVD.

After 10 more sessions, I had only lost 1 inch and seemed to be at an empasse.

After my 30th session, I had lost another 5 inches and dropped 2 sizes.

I had also attempted to do the CardioCallanetics DVD but was still too much out of shape and had to quit after 5 minutes.

It was at this time that I saw my GYN for my monthly problems.
She did not perform an ultrasound but instead put me on provera.

In January of this year, I had not lost any weight and the inches were no longer melting off me so I started a low calorie diet. I started with 1200 calories.

I was still not losing any weight, so I started lifting weights (2lbs) to tone my upper body.

The 1200 calorie diet was making me weak, so I changed to 1600 calories with a zig-zag format in February.

In February, I also started using Jane Fonda's Trim, Tone & Flex. I gained 2 inches in my upper arms and bust. Finally lost 5 lbs.

purple rose 04-19-2012 08:40 AM

March was a month of switching up programs in an attempt to lose some kind of weight.

3 days of strength training and 3 days of Callanetics.

I could not understand it...I was eating right and exercising 6 days a week.

What was wrong with my body?

I started taking Safslim in a desperate attempt to drop the body fat. (too expensive to keep taking)

By the end of March, I had lost another 5 inches but still had lost no weight.

My TOM problems were becoming worse and I had 2 periods. The second one lasting for 26 days.

In April, I went to see my GP for my quarterly check-up. He tested my thyroid and anemia levels. (These turned out to be okay.) But he was freaking out about my TOM problems. He called my GYN and demanded that I see her right away.

My GYN did not do an ultrasound but performed an endometrial biopsy to check for cancer. (This was negative) She stated that the next thing to do would be IUD, ablation or full hysterectomy. (I walked away.)

During this time, I had started reading a wonderful book by John Lee MD.
What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Menopause

This book has opened my eyes. All of the problems I have been having are hormone related. I have too much estrogen in my system.

Since I have stopped the estrogen and provera supplements, I have been feeling so much better. I can sleep through the night again.

I have lost 5 pounds in 1 week.

purple rose 04-19-2012 03:17 PM

Today was a good day.

Did my 40 minutes of strength training and have lots of energy.

No change on my measurements in the last week.

My lower arms and my face look thinner.

I started taking raspberry ketone tablets about 1 week ago.
Have not seen any noticeable difference yet.

purple rose 04-20-2012 10:21 AM

Today I completed 1 hour of Callanetics Evolution.

Ab exercises are finally getting easier.

Felt some strange objects sticking up from my mid-torso when on the floor. It turned out to be my ribs. (I have not seen those in years.)

My heartburn has disappeared since I started using the natural progesterone cream. Had another good night of restful sleep.

My forearms have been itching (sometimes) and it drives me crazy. There is no rash or spots. From everything I have read, this is part of the estrogen dominance. I'm hoping this will get better. I have applied all different kinds of lotions, but they only work for about 30 minutes.

Have not seen any results from the raspberry ketones yet. They do suppress my appetite. I took one yesterday before dinner and had to force myself to eat.

Eating a big salad today for lunch.

purple rose 04-21-2012 03:24 PM

Performed my 40 minutes of strength training/ low impact aerobics with Jane.

I'm up to 6 lb weights, but I think I need to go higher.

My left shoulder hurts but it is not painful.

Tomorrow is my day of total rest.

purple rose 04-22-2012 01:29 PM

Today is my rest day, but I just wanted to post the details of a dream that I have been having quite often recently.

I'm in a hospital bed with all kinds of tubes sticking out of me.

I have been diagnosed with anorexia.

The fat is sliding off my body (also my skin) and the doctors cannot stop it.

The doctors tell me that I will die within minutes if I don't stop it.

From everything I have read about dream interpretation, this is telling me that I am not happy with who I am. I am undergoing a transitional phase and becoming more enlightened or spiritual. Dying can be seen as an end or a termination to your old ways and habits. So, dying does not always mean a physical death, but an ending of something.

Is this a transition from my old body to the body I am trying to obtain?

purple rose 04-23-2012 12:45 PM

I tried to perform a low-impact aerobic dance but my knees would not allow it.

Performed my hour of 10/10 and also performed 10 minutes of isometric exercises.

purple rose 04-26-2012 09:45 AM

Haven't been on the board in a couple of days.

Finally got a new job...I thought I would never go back to work (although I liked staying home).

Trying to get back into the daily work routine.

I was extremely sore the other day from doing the isometric exercises.

Going to try and get some more in tonight.

I don't want to lose everything that I have worked so hard to obtain over the last 6 months.

purple rose 04-30-2012 09:33 AM

Went home Thursday night and was extremely tired.

I did Callanetics 10/10 anyway.

This boosted my spirit and made me feel great the rest of the night.

Saturday was a day of running around. By the time I was through, my knees were hurting and swollen. Put ice on them for about 1 hour and then did a session of Evolution. Callanetics made my knees stop hurting.

Sunday is usually my day of rest. But since I started my new job, I have not been exercising every day like I did before. So Sunday I did my 40 minutes of strength training and isometric exercises.

No longer having trouble sleeping thanks to the progesterone cream. My hair is also coming in fuller than it ever was before. My scalp is no longer oily. I wish I had known about this cream 2 years ago. Natural HRT is the only way to go for me.

Raspberry ketones have not done anything physically for me yet. (It's only been about 2 weeks) They do control my appetite and keep me from getting hungry between meals. I will give it some more time...

Tonight will be the measurement day for April results. I have not lost any more weight but am keeping off the 10 lbs lost previously.

purple rose 05-02-2012 12:56 PM

I have not lost any more inches for April.

Total inches lost since October is 20.

I have not lost anymore weight either.

I hope that once my body is accustomed to my new schedule things will change.

purple rose 05-03-2012 09:40 AM

I was so tired from work last night that all I wanted to do was eat and then crawl in bed.

But, I did a session of 10/10 instead.

It has been too long (about 1 week) and my muscles were sore after.

It is difficult when your body becomes accustomed to Callanetics every other day.

Tonight will be the strength training and the isometrics.

purple rose 05-06-2012 02:04 PM

May has started out slowly for me in the exercise department.

Went grocery shopping yesterday and my knees hurt so bad that I had to ice them for hours.

My body loved the daily exercise and I just can't seem to make myself do them when I get home and now my knees are bothering me again.

I guess that I am still not used to the everyday strains and stress of a new job yet.

Hoping that this week will be better.

I am still watching what I eat each day and trying to limit my calories.
Still have not lost any more weight.

I did give up my morning soda but I switched to coffee instead. My body seems to crave the caffeine and I get terrible headaches without it.
I hope that I don't become addicted to coffee.

Last week was the week that I did not use the progesterone cream. Not sleeping well at night without it and I wake up drenched in sweat every morning. My knees hurting may also be because I have not used the cream. My monthly cycle did not start until this morning. Luckily it is light. (First time in over two years.)

purple rose 05-08-2012 09:39 AM

Still having knee problems. Still not sleeping well.

I can't wait until I can start taking the progesterone cream again.

I did another hour of 10/10 last night.

My body seems to be getting accustomed to my new schedule.

My husband commented yesterday that it looked like my stomach was completely gone. (Of course I was wearing a dark shirt.) My stomach has come a long way since October but I still have a lot to lose to make it flat.

I keep forgetting to take the raspberry ketone tablets. I am so busy in the morning that I have to prepare my lunch at night. (At least I don't weigh myself every morning - anymore....too busy.)

My blood pressure is doing great and it is almost back down to the pre-perimenopause readings that I used to have.

purple rose 05-09-2012 09:33 AM

I managed to perform my 30 minutes of strength training last night.

I always feel so much better when I don't have to spend what little energy I have left fixing dinner and washing the dishes.

Oh well, can't afford a maid/cook so I will just have to trudge onward.

This morning, on the way out of the house, I twisted my ankle.

It is still a little sore but it's not bad. I will have to work out the soreness tonight with a session of Evolution.

purple rose 05-11-2012 09:26 AM

My ankle was still sore yesterday so I was only able to perform some light Callanetics.

Hopely, I will be able to get in a full hour tonight.

Can't tell you how great this natural progesterone cream is.:jumpjoy:

TOM was only 4 days long! 2 of those days were super light.

I had plans all worked out for this weekend (Mother's Day).

But, my husband is working inventory most of the weekend and my sons have other things that they are busy with. Oh well, maybe we can celebrate Monday night.

purple rose 05-16-2012 09:52 AM

Started back on the progesterone cream on May 11.

My sleep pattern is still not steady from being off the cream.

I go to sleep pretty easily but do not stay asleep.

Maybe I need to increase the cream to twice a day?!?

Everything else seems to be great...I haven't felt this good in a long time.

Still trying to keep up with the Callanetics. I don't want to go back to where I was. I'm too tired when I get home and I don't want to wake up at 4 am just to exercise.

I need to stop making excuses and do it the minute I get in the bedroom door.
If I don't exercise, my knees hurt all the time.

purple rose 05-17-2012 09:29 AM

I did 30 minutes of 10/10 Callanetics last night.

I went for quality instead of quantity and concentrated on my legs and stomach.

I also did some strength training with weights for my arms. It has been about 1 week so I am sore this morning.

I have got to make myself do these exercises every day.

If feels like my clothes are getting loose on me. I measured and everything is still the same. No weight loss or inches lost in several weeks.

I had hoped to look better for summer and my 30th wedding anniversary.

Slow and steady wins the race.....frustration needs to reconciled.

loveispeakincode 05-20-2012 04:45 PM

You're doing awesome...found your posts when I was googling raspberry ketones...any more of an update on them? I bought some today... Kinda wish I would of researched it more..

loveispeakincode 05-20-2012 04:46 PM

Ps-are you low carbing?

purple rose 05-21-2012 08:03 AM

loveispeakincode - Hello fellow Texan!

I have not taken any raspberry ketones in the last week. I keep forgetting to take them and I really need to in the afternoons.

I will start again to today. Thanks for the reminder.

Regarding low-carbing....no I am not low-carbing at the moment.

My GP has advised that I shouldn't eat more than 30 per day but low-carbing makes me weak and shaky.

If I have not lost any more weight by the end of May, I may start.

purple rose 05-21-2012 09:12 AM

I did 30 minutes of EVO on Saturday afternoon and 30 minutes on Sunday morning.

It has been awhile since I have done EVO and those standing leg lifts are killer but I was able to get through them. I tried using the other pulses but for some reason I cannot get my right side to cooperate when doing the standing leg lifts...I know that my left side is dominate since I am left-handed. And, I can even do them with my arms...its just the legs.

I had a bit of panic on Saturday. I was wearing a pair of capri pants that have been loose on me in the past but felt tight on Saturday. I weighed myself and measured myself but everything is still the same....I guess the pants are shrinking. (I've only worn them 3 times.)

purple rose 05-23-2012 09:34 AM

I was wearing a pair of size 12 pants yesterday and they felt like they wanted to fall off all day.

When I got home, I decided to measure myself (haven't done that in 3 weeks).

I have lost an additional 3 inches since I last measured. 1 inch in the hips and 2 inches in the arms. I have also lost 2 more pounds. :jumpjoy:

Last week was a bad week for me foodwise so this makes me feel good.

My DH is going to fix my bike this weekend. I cannot ride for very long but anything helps. With the weather expected to be 95 for the next week, I may have to ride after dark.

purple rose 05-29-2012 09:21 AM

My DH did not have time to fix my bike this past weekend.

I walked for 2 hours on Saturday and did 1 hour of 10/10 on Sunday morning.

My exercise count for May is not anywhere near where it should be.

At least I am doing something.

Losing only 2.4 lbs per month is extremely discouraging.

At this rate, it will take me another 14 months to achieve my goal.

purple rose 06-04-2012 09:31 AM

May was a bad month for me with regards to exercise.

I only completed 6 hours of Callanetics.

During the month of May, I lost an additional 2 lbs and 3 inches.

This morning, I measured myself again...pants were falling off.

If my measurements are correct, I have lost another 3 inches since I measured on May 31.

I am tempted to measure myself again tonight to make sure measurements are correct.

Is it the raspberry ketones? I'm not sure.

purple rose 06-05-2012 09:58 AM

I was really feeling down because I did not perform as many sessions of Callanetics in May as I should have.

I was sure that all my hard work would be wasted or backfire.

Well.....I can tell you that I have lost an additional 3 inches since my measurements were taken on May 31. And I have only performed 1 hour of Callanetics so far in June.

Total inches lost so far is = 25 :jumpjoy:

purple rose 06-15-2012 12:10 PM

I got back on the progesterone cream a couple of days ago.

I really wish that I could take this all the time.

I don't sleep during the week that I can't take it and my heartburn is worse.

I stopped taking the raspberry ketone pills. They were not doing anything for me except suppressing my appetite. (Plus I was forgetting to take them in the afternoon.)

I don't eat that much but yet I am hungry all the time.

It does not matter whether I eat 5/6 small meals a day or only 3...my tummy is always growling.

I am still trying to stay around 1400-1600 calories per day.

The weight is not budging and the subcutaneous layer of fat still sits above my toned muscles.

I am extremely appreciative for all the benefits Callanetics has given me but I wish this fat would go away. (Cannot afford lipo.)