Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   Unleashing Me (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/767852-unleashing-me.html)

h82bl8 04-16-2012 05:28 AM

Unleashing Me

I experimented this weekend with "junk" carbs. I wanted to see how bad carbs affected my6 body. I ate chips, fries, white bread, 1/4c of ice cream, candy and potato salad. Not in one sitting but throughout two days. Saturday afternoon I started feeling bloated, irritated, feel were swollen and basically blah. Sunday morning my hands and fingers were swollen, not like from any type of bite or wound but I could not close my fingers and make a fist. WOW- why had I not noticed this before? Maybe this was the feeling all along and it just became "normal"? After being on lc for a month I wanted to do this to see how my bosy would react to this stuff. Now I am back on plan today and I do not want to go back there. It was eye-opening. Those fast digesting carbs are an assault on my body. Will come back later to continue this post.

h82bl8 04-16-2012 06:46 AM

I have been reading Twyla's - Watch Me Shrink's - journal and she is my inspiration. Her through and deep analysis of her woe is amazing. So using that as my guide I decided to do my own research and subject my body to unclean carbs. :stars: Yesterday morning was the last of the carbs. In order not to feel sluggish, I pushed myself to do things. I cooked, folded laundry, set out my clothes for the week. I did these things and felt so out of it. My body was just crying, telling me to sit and take a nap. But I knew that was the sugar talking. I am starting the carb rotation today. M-F will be lc, with F being vlc. Saturday will be my refeed day, but with good carbs and maybe a glass or two of wine, dh taking me to a very $$ steakhouse. Sunday will be back to lc. I will be back here to post, hopefully everyday. I also want to post my menu:
B- Ezequiel bread, 1/4 avocado, 2 deviled egg halves and 4 slices tomato

S- celery w/fresh mozz cheese

L- tuna w/celery,tomato, Greek yogurt/cheese and 1 tsp of mayo

S- (pre work out)- LC shake

D- grilled catfish, grilled zucchini and yellow squash

S-(if needed) cottage cheese

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 04-16-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h82bl8 (Post 15583920)
I have been reading Twyla's - Watch Me Shrink's - journal and she is my inspiration. Her through and deep analysis of her woe is amazing. So using that as my guide I decided to do my own research and subject my body to unclean carbs. :stars: Yesterday morning was the last of the carbs. In order not to feel sluggish, I pushed myself to do things. I cooked, folded laundry, set out my clothes for the week. I did these things and felt so out of it. My body was just crying, telling me to sit and take a nap. But I knew that was the sugar talking. I am starting the carb rotation today. M-F will be lc, with F being vlc. Saturday will be my refeed day, but with good carbs and maybe a glass or two of wine, dh taking me to a very $$ steakhouse. Sunday will be back to lc. I will be back here to post, hopefully everyday. I also want to post my menu:
B- Ezequiel bread, 1/4 avocado, 2 deviled egg halves and 4 slices tomato

S- celery w/fresh mozz cheese

L- tuna w/celery,tomato, Greek yogurt/cheese and 1 tsp of mayo

S- (pre work out)- LC shake

D- grilled catfish, grilled zucchini and yellow squash

S-(if needed) cottage cheese

Sounds like a great plan. :) Are you planning to exercise on your refeed day? Just wondering. You didn't mention it.

If you aren't planning on a kick-butt workout that day, you may just want to start conservatively, not a full blown refeeed, but say 100-150 carbs, then back to low carbs again, repeat.

The refeed works best when you're depleting your body of glycogen from workouts throughout the week, then a refill to get those systems up, shouting and raring to go for your training, the best of which should be either Saturday or Sunday (most energy), and then your energy may likely dip a little throughout the week progressively, depending on how intense your exercise regimen is.

Eye opener? I hear ya. All that sugar and overloading you did sure proved a point, huh? POISON.

Pure, addictive poison!

Here ya go... your reinforcement for the weeks ahead: (I need this reminder too!)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ATINGSUGAR.jpg

h82bl8 04-16-2012 09:18 AM

Thanks so much for your reply!! I really appreciate it. I do plan on a moderate workout on my refeed day. My gym has a body works plus abs class so I will be doing that and maybe a 10 min walk? Thanks for the info on the carb amount, I really needed that info as a starting point. I plan on consuming 20-25 carbs a day and 100-150 on refeed days.

h82bl8 04-16-2012 09:54 AM

Forgot that I have a meeting at 1:15 and I have to translate!! I do not like to do this because translating gives me a headache and people never understand that you need a minute before the brain processes one language into another. :stars:

h82bl8 04-17-2012 06:30 AM

Worked out yesterday p.m. Shoulders and abs and the treadmill for 25 min a new record for me, I usually like to do 20 min at max because I detest it. I have a meeting today so no gym but I will do Jillian's Shred after I get home. Last night there was a change in dinner. I made blackened catfish, shrimp with jalapeno jack cheese and some shrimp w/lc co#%tail sauce. I also steamed some greenbeans and wax beans with a bit of butter. Yummy. I wanted something sweet later in the evening so I ate a 1/2 tsp of coconut butter. Today's dinner will be the same as yesterday. Feel motivated, and encouraged. Thanks so much Twyla!!

Put all my food from yesterday and this is what I came up with

1,072 cal ( I ate only 1/2 of my lunch)
36 carbs 11%
66 fat 55%
85 protein 32%

Now off to figure %'s.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 04-17-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h82bl8 (Post 15584587)
Forgot that I have a meeting at 1:15 and I have to translate!! I do not like to do this because translating gives me a headache and people never understand that you need a minute before the brain processes one language into another. :stars:

Would love to chat with you at length about this very thing: the challenge of being a translator.

My son has majored in foreign languge (Japanese and German), and he sells himself short, lacking the confidence he needs to "put himself out there," aggressively marketing himself for translator job openings or positions, whatever, thinking he's not fluent enough, good enough, etc.

I'd love to know about what you do and your slant on this. I'd be sure to share this with him to boost his confidence.:)

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 04-17-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h82bl8 (Post 15586829)
Worked out yesterday p.m. Shoulders and abs and the treadmill for 25 min a new record for me, I usually like to do 20 min at max because I detest it. I have a meeting today so no gym but I will do Jillian's Shred after I get home. Last night there was a change in dinner. I made blackened catfish, shrimp with jalapeno jack cheese and some shrimp w/lc co#%tail sauce. I also steamed some greenbeans and wax beans with a bit of butter. Yummy. I wanted something sweet later in the evening so I ate a 1/2 tsp of coconut butter. Today's dinner will be the same as yesterday. Feel motivated, and encouraged. Thanks so much Twyla!!

Put all my food from yesterday and this is what I came up with

1,072 cal ( I ate only 1/2 of my lunch)
36 carbs 11%
66 fat 55%
85 protein 32%

Now off to figure %'s.

Sounds good --- loving that euphoria of "motivated and encouraged." Hope those words serve you well in your journey, esp on days when you need a nudge to keep looking forward. That's the beauty of JOURNALING. It's both self-serving as well as a motivator for others.

Checking out your food totals...seems a little low on cals to me. Fine for now and then, but tread softly. The exercise is challenging your body, and it's gonna need the requisite fuel for healing and growth as you move forward. If you deprive your body of the fuel, it can work against you.

Just keep that in mind.

I realize that ketosis has a way of blunting our appetite, but you are gonna need that protein for repair and growth too, so try to keep those calories up just a tad more with high quality protein and healthy fats.

The big picture.

h82bl8 04-17-2012 11:35 AM

Thank you for your wisdom Twyla. I was surprised at the amount of calories I consumed yesterday. When I entered them into ******, I looked over them 4 times trying to see if I had entered everything, I did? I was feeling so full yesterday. I am trying to up my intake today.

h82bl8 04-18-2012 07:55 AM

I was so hungry yesterday after work. When I got home DH was already there and he invited me to dinner, BLESS HIM!! We went to a cafeteria and I did pretty good- blackened chicken, large salad w/ ranch, steamed cabbage. My dinner came with a roll, but I left it there. Even after all that food I was still hungry an hour later so I ate a teaspoon of coconut butter. I have noticed that I am going alot more to the rr. Probably the water retention from the weekend.:stars:

Yesterday's totals:

1,246 cal
44(gr) carbs 14%
70(gr) fats 51%
90(gr) pro 29%

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 04-18-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h82bl8 (Post 15590200)
I was so hungry yesterday after work. When I got home DH was already there and he invited me to dinner, BLESS HIM!! We went to a cafeteria and I did pretty good- blackened chicken, large salad w/ ranch, steamed cabbage. My dinner came with a roll, but I left it there. Even after all that food I was still hungry an hour later so I ate a teaspoon of coconut butter. I have noticed that I am going alot more to the rr. Probably the water retention from the weekend.:stars:

Another thing you can try when you find you're not quite full or are just having minor hungries:

Stir in 1 Tbs of whey protein along with that coconut butter, and maybe one or two chopped toasted almonds. It makes a nice little "gob of goodness" that has a satisfying blend of protein and fat. I will have that with a cup of green tea, and it really hits the spot.

Also, casein protein (I buy chocolate) takes longer to digest than whey, so I will eat casein protein at night with my decaf tea for my hungry urges.

Just a thought.:)

h82bl8 04-18-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK (Post 15590266)
Another thing you can try when you find you're not quite full or are just having minor hungries:

Stir in 1 Tbs of whey protein along with that coconut butter, and maybe one or two chopped toasted almonds. It makes a nice little "gob of goodness" that has a satisfying blend of protein and fat. I will have that with a cup of green tea, and it really hits the spot.

Also, casein protein (I buy chocolate) takes longer to digest than whey, so I will eat casein protein at night with my decaf tea for my hungry urges.

Just a thought.:)

Thanks for all the info! You are a pro at this. :shake:

h82bl8 04-19-2012 07:24 AM

Had an amazing UB workout yesterday and a 25 min walk on the treadmill at 3.5. I am starting to "listen" to my body more and more to what it needs to restore, relax, rest and fuel itself. I realize that the amount of calories that I need right now seems very high to me, but giving my body the proper nutrition, not processed junk, it can be done and with time that number will steadily decline. My body also needs this amount of calories if I am going to train and expect alot more out of it. My body has been sending me signals when it is ready to be pushed more. Yesterday my trainer had me do sone tricep extensions and pushdowns and I told him I needed to increase the weight because it was too easy. I surprised myself. Last night I wanted something sweet but I knew that that was my brain trying to play tricks on me. I remembered what Twyla (Watch me shrink) had said about Casein shakes so I made one with unsweetened coconut milk and powdered peanut butter. Pain in nonexistant today, but I know I will feel it tomorrow.

Yesterday's totals:

1,769 calories

116 protein 26%
71 carbs 17%
113 fat 57%
17 gr Fiber (nice surprise)

I want to get my protein up and lower my fat. Will need to prep chicken breasts and tuna.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 04-19-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h82bl8 (Post 15593292)
Had an amazing UB workout yesterday and a 25 min walk on the treadmill at 3.5. I am starting to "listen" to my body more and more to what it needs to restore, relax, rest and fuel itself. I realize that the amount of calories that I need right now seems very high to me, but giving my body the proper nutrition, not processed junk, it can be done and with time that number will steadily decline. My body also needs this amount of calories if I am going to train and expect alot more out of it. My body has been sending me signals when it is ready to be pushed more. Yesterday my trainer had me do sone tricep extensions and pushdowns and I told him I needed to increase the weight because it was too easy. I surprised myself. Last night I wanted something sweet but I knew that that was my brain trying to play tricks on me. I remembered what Twyla (Watch me shrink) had said about Casein shakes so I made one with unsweetened coconut milk and powdered peanut butter. Pain in nonexistant today, but I know I will feel it tomorrow.

Yesterday's totals:

1,769 calories

116 protein 26%
71 carbs 17%
113 fat 57%
17 gr Fiber (nice surprise)

I want to get my protein up and lower my fat. Will need to prep chicken breasts and tuna.

So true. You're catching on quick, my friend. If you are trying to build muslce and RESHAPE that body of yours, you need to be eating on average no less than 10-12 x your body weight in cals. Every now and then less than that, no problem. But not on average. You will lose muscle and your body will not respond as quickly, predictably or as favorably. Keep it happy.

Eat clean to be lean.

Planning and preparing your meat ahead of time works wonders too. I like to cook mine up then weigh it and put it in ziplocs, then store. Easy to grab a serving when I'm on the run. Saves TONS of time in the long run.:)

h82bl8 04-19-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK (Post 15594436)
So true. You're catching on quick, my friend. If you are trying to build muslce and RESHAPE that body of yours, you need to be eating on average no less than 10-12 x your body weight in cals. Every now and then less than that, no problem. But not on average. You will lose muscle and your body will not respond as quickly, predictably or as favorably. Keep it happy.

Eat clean to be lean.

Planning and preparing your meat ahead of time works wonders too. I like to cook mine up then weigh it and put it in ziplocs, then store. Easy to grab a serving when I'm on the run. Saves TONS of time in the long run.:)

That is my goal. I'm going through my summer copies of Clean Eating/Oxygen magazine for eating ideas. I always cook on the weekends for the week. I love cooking and having healthy meals already prepped for the week.

h82bl8 04-20-2012 07:37 AM

Yesterday's totals:

1,371 cal
31(gr) carbs 9%
83(gr) fat 54%
130(gr) prot 38%

I did ab crunches at my desk yesterday 3 sets of 25. Today is going to be VERY hectic Morning duty was stressful - short on staff and computers were down. I have to stay at work until 8:00 pm due to carnival. So that means I will do some squats and push-ups here. I am aiming for 3 sets of 12 for each. I plan on going to the gym on Sat and walking on Sun. Last weekend I made a ton of spaghetti sauce and had planned to use some of it this weekend to serve some people over to enjoy it, but I am rethinking this due to wanting to enjoy a Sunday ride on the Harley and wanting to grill for the week. I also want to enjoy the rocking chairs in the patio with a glass of ice tea. DH and I are going to a very nice steak house tomorrow, so I am saving my 1-2 glasses of wine for that occasion.

h82bl8 04-20-2012 09:33 AM

I did 3 sets/12 reps of lunges and 3 sets/12 reps of chair dips.

h82bl8 04-22-2012 10:55 AM

I am feeling so in control of my woe right now. Taking my supplements controlling my appetite eating enough to satisfy. Noticing the changes inside and outside my body. Feeding it clean food and stopping the wanting of sugar. I feel so energized from not eating processed food!

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 04-23-2012 02:34 AM

Hey, there!

You're doing great. It sounds as if things are going very well for you. :shake:

That top-of-the-world-in-control feeling you speak of...commit that to memory. It takes practice, but it will happen. Let that FEELING empower you with the encouragement you need throughout the day, every day, all week, as you commit to better choices, not only in the food you eat, but in your dedication to this journey as you make your way to the finish line.

Calling upon that sense of control is self-medicating. Never forget that feeling. Feed that feeling.

Feed the passion every day.

http://helpmelisa.com/cruse/empowerment.jpg

h82bl8 04-23-2012 05:27 AM

Thanks for posting in my journal Twyla- I feel so unworthy:notwrthy: You speak volumns when you talk about control and carrying that feeling with you. What I also hold close to me is feelings- what I feel with processed, sugary foods. That drained out, don't want to do anything feeling.

h82bl8 04-24-2012 09:39 AM

Worked out yesterday at a "Bodyworks plus Abs" class my gym offers 3 times a week. It involves using weights and a bit of cardio followed by 15 min of ab work. I have increased my weights from 2.5lbs when I started 3 months ago to switching between 5-7.5 lbs. We use them for up to 3 sets of 20 reps at a time. Then we did planks for our ab work- wow!! My quads are screaming this morning. A few observations - my hunger was high after the class- I drank a prot. shake during and after the workout- 1 shake that lasted about 1.5 hours- it was a small, lc one from a smoothie place- no added sugar, only strawberries. I had dinner about an hour after the w/o and then 45 min after dinner I was still hungry and my stomach was rumbling so I mixed some Greek yogurt with a tbls of protein powder and that did the trick. I will have to input everythin I ate so that I can get my totals for yesterday and see what my calories were at before and after dinner.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 04-25-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h82bl8 (Post 15606194)
Worked out yesterday at a "Bodyworks plus Abs" class my gym offers 3 times a week. It involves using weights and a bit of cardio followed by 15 min of ab work. I have increased my weights from 2.5lbs when I started 3 months ago to switching between 5-7.5 lbs. We use them for up to 3 sets of 20 reps at a time. Then we did planks for our ab work- wow!! My quads are screaming this morning.

A few observations - my hunger was high after the class- I drank a prot. shake during and after the workout- 1 shake that lasted about 1.5 hours- it was a small, lc one from a smoothie place- no added sugar, only strawberries. I had dinner about an hour after the w/o and then 45 min after dinner I was still hungry and my stomach was rumbling so I mixed some Greek yogurt with a tbls of protein powder and that did the trick. I will have to input everythin I ate so that I can get my totals for yesterday and see what my calories were at before and after dinner.

Observing, planning, doing, believing.
Good job!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3.../P1040774a.jpg

h82bl8 04-25-2012 08:56 AM

Did cardio yesterday- 28 min for a total of 1.5 miles. I have the trainer today and plan on doing LB and abs plus some cardio. I do not want to weigh myself, but my clothes are starting to feel looser.

h82bl8 04-27-2012 12:00 PM

Forgot to post yesterday- I had a light breakfast and lunch because we had a bd party/dinner to go to. Cardio for 30 min. then home, shower, change go to party at a Tex Mex place. Enjoyed shrimp brochette, beef fajitas, grilled veggies, 1 and 1/2 glasses of wine, and believe it or not 2 -TWO!! chips!! :jumpjoy:

I know I have not posted nutrient info in a while, but I have it all written down and just need to input it. This week I have worked out 4 times, eaten well and clean and I can not believe my energy level.

h82bl8 04-30-2012 09:21 AM

I do not post on the weekends due to not having a computer at home and not wanting to use up my data plan. Wayyyyyyyyy too much alcohol on Friday and some bad food choices. I did make it to the gym 4 times last week and that is my goal for this week as well. Will come back and post my numbers for Sat and Sun later.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 04-30-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h82bl8 (Post 15620854)
I do not post on the weekends due to not having a computer at home and not wanting to use up my data plan. Wayyyyyyyyy too much alcohol on Friday and some bad food choices. I did make it to the gym 4 times last week and that is my goal for this week as well. Will come back and post my numbers for Sat and Sun later.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...P1040783-1.jpg

h82bl8 05-01-2012 05:28 AM

Thanks Twyla!! Yesterday afternoon was HORRIBLE!! I was stricken with a severe bout of the runs. I think it was the whey/oatmeal protein powder I had for breakfast. OMG it was painful- I know TMI. I did not make it to the gym because it was so bad. Doing much better this morning. Today - Thrusday is going to be stressful. I have to administer oral test to 4 yr olds to see how much English they know. I have today's meals ready so I am set.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 05-02-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h82bl8 (Post 15622849)
Thanks Twyla!! Yesterday afternoon was HORRIBLE!! I was stricken with a severe bout of the runs. I think it was the whey/oatmeal protein powder I had for breakfast. OMG it was painful- I know TMI. I did not make it to the gym because it was so bad. Doing much better this morning. Today - Thrusday is going to be stressful. I have to administer oral test to 4 yr olds to see how much English they know.

I have today's meals ready so I am set.

h82bl8 05-03-2012 06:30 AM

Yesterday, Wednesday, was one of the most disappointing days ever. I guess as a woman you have the inherited(sp?) trait of giving and giving and giving until it gets to a breaking point. Yesterday I had one of those days. I was supposed to meet a friend after work. I had rearranged my training at the gym, my dh was out of town so I did not have to worry about getting dinner on the table, we were supposed to go to a very fancy place for drinks and dinner- well I get a call that she can't make it:mad: She had stuff at work that she could not complete and might have to stay late- but yet when I called later in the afternoon she was gone for the day:confused: I called another friend to see if she wanted to join me and she said she would call after work- that did not happen. So I went to the place by myself had a couple of drinks (2) a bunless burger and sweet potato fries. I was very upset all the way around and now something in me says just let it go and be the nice one and another part me says let them call you and get even then, but I hate being that way. If I am a B*#%h to them then maybe they will respect my feelings? All I know is that the ball is now in their court.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 05-03-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h82bl8 (Post 15628720)
Yesterday, Wednesday, was one of the most disappointing days ever. I guess as a woman you have the inherited(sp?) trait of giving and giving and giving until it gets to a breaking point. Yesterday I had one of those days. I was supposed to meet a friend after work. I had rearranged my training at the gym, my dh was out of town so I did not have to worry about getting dinner on the table, we were supposed to go to a very fancy place for drinks and dinner- well I get a call that she can't make it:mad: She had stuff at work that she could not complete and might have to stay late- but yet when I called later in the afternoon she was gone for the day:confused: I called another friend to see if she wanted to join me and she said she would call after work- that did not happen. So I went to the place by myself had a couple of drinks (2) a bunless burger and sweet potato fries. I was very upset all the way around and now something in me says just let it go and be the nice one and another part me says let them call you and get even then, but I hate being that way. If I am a B*#%h to them then maybe they will respect my feelings? All I know is that the ball is now in their court.

Nothing is worse than being lied to.

Do friends lie to friends?

If they lie to you, they're not worth having as "friends." This just shows their true character.

Leave the ball right where it is. Walk away.