Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #541
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Went overboard with the carbs today, but I am okay with it I didn't really try too hard to fight the process... I knew it was one of those days where if I just continued to eat the proteins and fats that I would only add to a high calorie day. I know myself well enough to know that these cravings once they start only build over time, so if not today it would probably have continued tomorrow. I think it should be easy to get back on track as I did notice that as carb fests go it was relatively mild, it seems that the higher fat over the last week or so has made carbs a little harder to eat in large quantities. I started feeling really full way sooner than normal and threw a lot of the crap in the trash. Something else I noticed that I want to work on and see if it makes a difference is that when I get hungry after dinner I rarely allow myself to eat. Part of it is laziness and another part is that has been my dieting menatlity for a long time.... no food after dinner. I think this may be a problem in that my body fights back with cravings or for just more food in general. I was stuck at work w/o enough food and started the day off hungry which I think set me up for carb cravings. So anyway I think I am going to start allowing some sort of low carb snack after dinner when needed.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #542
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Jeanie, I am glad to hear that the fat made some difference in the intensity of your carb fest today.

Interesting, I also don't eat after dinner for all the reasons you mentioned but I always have breakfast so I make up for it.

I have been eating carbs like no tomorrow for the past 3 days. I can't fight it anymore, so I just go with it because I know it is temporary. There is simply nothing I can do stop the cravings at this time. I know they will stop only once TOM arrives. Makes me feel like crap but so be it. I have been eating so much carbs for the past 3 days that I stopping enjoying it, yet I still eat. It is like my brain does not gets the pleasure from it anymore but I still need to replenish the carbs Bizarre!!!

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
tobelowcarber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #543
Big Yapper!!!!

That is kinda how I felt today why fight it!? There is a part of me that feels a little let down that I didn't try harder to fight the cravings, but I kind of like the fact that I don't like the way I feel tonight compared to how I feel when I eat cleaner. It is also in some way a relief just to know that I got it over with and won't feel that nagging uneasiness tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting back on track tomorrow... no dinner tonight too stuffed. I really like meat and eggs and hope to someday choose them over carbs everyday!! BTW I love the ghee!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #544
Big Yapper!!!!

Back on track and feeling good today. I really am looking forward to eating vlc and am glad I was easily back on track today w/o cravings.

Coffee w/ light cream
Nathan's beef hot dog
2 Slices of swiss cheese w/ cream cheese sandwich style
chuck roast
1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk fried in ghee

1tsp ea. coconut oil, mct oil,safflower oil, and 1 capsule borage oil

Very satiated!

Last edited by jeaniem; 11-05-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #545
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great job Jeanie
Old 11-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #546
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
That is kinda how I felt today why fight it!? There is a part of me that feels a little let down that I didn't try harder to fight the cravings, but I like the fact that I don't like the way I feel tonight which is a real reminder that carbs really don't make me feel good for long! It is also in some way a relief just to know that I got it over with and won't feel that nagging uneasiness tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting back on track tomorrow... no dinner tonight too stuffed. I really like meat and eggs and hope to someday choose them over carbs everyday!! BTW I love the ghee!

Re-posting this and reading the bold over and over as I sit here fighting cravings. Makes no sense how I feel so strong one day and struggle the next! I had lots of protein and fat today and just finished some chuck roast, but feel that old nagging unsatisfied feeling
Old 11-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #547
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh boy, Jeanie I hope you can hang in there buddy. I feel so bad when one of us is in trouble (you or Mojo or me). It seems like one of us gets better and the other one gets worst. I really am shocked how the brain works. The switch can go off any time to binge or to stop the binge any time. The bold part is so true, just read it few times
Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #548
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Marika I have come back to read several times now!

Carbs give me heartburn and I will sleep horribly if I binge.

They will taste good initially and I will even feel pretty happy for a while, but will regret it by bedtime.

I still haven't lost all the weight from my last binge~ only 2 days ago!

I won't even kid myself that it is about health at the moment, I just want to get off some of this belly fat!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #549
Big Yapper!!!!

Do I keep on trying low carb or should I try another plan that allows some carbs? :dunno Part of me wants to give up, but even with the binges I have got to be better off than I would be if I didn't try at all I suppose.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #550
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's a million dollar question, Jeanie and only you can answer this
We both may seem like we are giving too soon. Right now feel I just can't go on like this. LC obviously does not make a difference in my case. Nothing satisfied my cravings, nothing delays them. I am eating more carbs than ever before so I feel like I am doing more damage to my body by staying LC and than binging after few days (lately only after 1 day).
I am trying this new approach because I feel like I have to keep on trying. I don't know if it will work, but I am giving a fair shot. What I will be eating would be consider moderate carbs (maybe up to 150gr) but I will not be obsessing with numbers of carbs, carbs will come from lots of veggies, fruits, yogurt, cottage cheese and some honey. I will be counting calories because I am continuing with JUDDD.
Hope we can figure this out Jeanie. Let's not give up!!!

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 11-07-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Old 11-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #551
Big Yapper!!!!

I am leaning more towards strict meat and egg again, when I tried moderate carbs the scale didn't really go up but I lost no fat from the stomach area. When I do vlc I lose mostly stomach fat... until I binge it back on grrrr. Oh well just gotta keep on trying doing something is better than nothing!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #552
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know that one day we will figure out the magic formula. We just have to keep on trying and don't beat ourselves up if we slip
Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #553
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How are you doing today, Jeanie?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #554
Big Yapper!!!!

Not a good day, but at least it was CAD style. Hopefully I can fast most of the day tomorrow to minimize the damage. Don't like it this way, but it is only food and I refuse to get all down about it.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #555
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good attitude! I need to learn how to let it go too.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #556
Big Yapper!!!!

I wish I could be like my DH and just not give eating so much thought. If he wants something he eats it and that's that. He eats more some days and does reign in it a little when he eats too many sweets, but he does so without too much effort. He would never go to the store like I do just to buy junk food. Watching him and talking with my sister makes me think that perhaps with a lot of practice and discipline maybe I wouldn't binge if I allowed some of the stuff I really like and crave more often? My sister who has lost tons of weight on LC thinks it is a bad idea to vilify foods as then she only feels restricted and wants them even more, so she allows something if she really wants it. She does not end up binging on the food because she doesn't see it as a bad thing and knows she will get right back on plan and have it again in the future if she wants it. It has been really interesting watching her lose weight. There are 7 of us kids in the family and she and my oldest brother were the only ones that did not have a sweet tooth, but after she starting dieting and lost about 75 pounds on low carb she suddenly started craving sweets. She couldn't understand it because she was never a sweet eater before! I do believe that merely eating carbs at times only makes me want more but I also wonder how much of it is mental that is tripping me up. Like the I have already blown it excuse and why even try anymore you'll never be able to give up carbs type thinking. If some how I could just have them in moderation or at least have them when I really want them without seeing it as the end or as failure.

It is silly to think that what I am doing is working. I need to set some goals and think about what will work and set in place some new strategies.

Last edited by jeaniem; 11-08-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Old 11-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #557
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I believe there is something to the "forbidden fruits" analogy. When I cave on carbs I think I continue to stuff myself with it beyond pleasurable experience because I know that I am not supposed to eat this food. At that moment I think this is the last time I am eating it because it is so bad, so let me really stuff myself with it because tomorrow I wont eat it. Tomorrow will be a boring meat and egg day. The guild of binging is so strong that makes me feel worst than the physical effect the carbs have on my body. I do feel awful next day in my body, no question, but the guilt makes it even more pronounced. The quantity of carbs/calories eaten doing the binge will make anyone uncomfortable physically and emotionally.

Does your sister stick to LC most of the time and allows herself to indulge once in a while. Is this planned indulgence? Maybe you can ask her more questions to see how she handles it.

I feel that there is a hormonal component at play with binges and that's why some people who's system is in balance don't need the fix of carbs.
Today I feel like my system is in balance and I don't need any carbs. But from my previous experience I know there is a day lurking around the corner, usually day 7-8 of my cycle (right after TOM), when I get ravenous for carbs again. I track this whole binging cycle and I know it will happen again. Than I should be good for 10 day, but sometimes I am not, I do binge sporadically in my "safe time" of the month. Sometimes I feel there is no rhyme to it. It can happen anytime.
It is so difficult to figure this out. On one hand I feel that before I started dieting I already have binges during PMS and I was not restricting carbs at that time. I was eating everything and yet I had binges but those binges were confined to 2-3 days before TOM and not as strong. I don't know if my binges got stronger because I started dieting or because they would have gotten stronger anyway with time. This is my dilemma. Is restricting making it worst or it has noting to do with it.
I don't know which way to go. For now I am trying the moderate carb approach without counting calories. The problem I am facing is that I am not satisfied with my weight right now. The last binge put on some serious weight on me and it is not just water. I am eager to get this weight down but than I also have to work on binging? I feel like my body will always crave carbs even if I stayed on LC for one year. I feel like the occasional carb re-feed is bound to happen because my brain gets a fix from carbs. I am thinking of doing LC every day (with 30 gr of carbs each day) and once a week indulge in some carbs ala Carb Night Solution. Next day get back to 30 gr of carbs a day. I feel like my body needs more veggies. I read yeasterday that too much meat can have a negative effect on serotonin and we need veggies and seeds to increase serotonin.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 11-09-2013 at 05:52 AM..
Old 11-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #558
Big Yapper!!!!

My sister is very consistent with LC and her indulgences aren't always planned out, but they are a meal or a dessert, not out of control binges. What floors me is she never cared for desserts until she started dieting... that makes me wonder if dieting causes some of us to overeat eventually.

Did you buy the carb nite book?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #559
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes I have it and read it yesterday. Basically he wants to you eat LC for first 10 days and than have carb re-feed that starts in the afternoon and continues throughout the evening on the 10th day. Next day you go back to LC and every 6th or 7th day you repeat the night re-feed. On LC days you eat protein and veggies. You are allowed 30 gr of carbs from veggies. You are only eating LC veggies on LC days: lettuce, spinach, celery, olives, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc (nothing starchy), you are not allowed any fruits on LC days. You can have them on re-feed night along with potatoes, pizza, etc... He has a message board if you google it. They say women are not doing as well on this as men do and can not eat anything they want to on re-feed night.
I think this approach would work well for someone who is exercising regularly and I am not there. I am also not to keen to have the scheduled re-feed, what happened if I want to have carbs on day 4. Also, I am afraid that this will allowed me to binge, it's like giving me permission to binge and what happen if I continue for more than 1 day, like I have been recently.

I am toying with idea of NK ketosis. I tried sometime back for 2 days and was not satisfied but I don't think I have calculated my fats correctly at that time. I just re-calculated everything I will be getting 114 gr of fat a day, which is quite a bit. I will eat 25 gr of carbs and 70 gr of protein. This way I can fit SLD in the picture. Maybe it will help with the cravings. I will start on this tomorrow. I will be doing JUDDD with it. Yes, I know I am crazy but I need to get this weight down.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 11-09-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #560
Big Yapper!!!!

Day 1

Committed to regaining control over binge eating. One day a time.....
Old 11-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #561
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hey lady! ( maybe I did know about this thread...and forgot)

Ok, so every success has a beginning. It doesn't matter how many times we start. That's the number we prefer not to count what matters is you keep trying...keep fighting. I envy your tenacity Jeannie. You are strong and a fighter.
I've been fighting the urge lately myself. I went by the chip section in the supermarket today AND stuck my head into the bakery section and looked at the red velvet cakes. I've had a trying few months and I feel my resolve weakening. A funny thing happened though when I looked at those cakes- I pictured myself looked in my bedroom with a spoon eating the entire thing in secret. Been there more times than I care to admit. The image was sobering.
I'm doing a meditation series. It is free. Check out oprah and deepak online helps with my anxiety. One more tool in the toolbox. My food sanity is not a given...
Love to you.

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #562
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for stopping in Lisa. I haven't been very consistent with this journal and am making a point to change that! Love that you were able to resist that cake and visualize the consequences. It feels so good when I am able to do that, but I admit there are times when I just say screw it all and give in like a little spoiled brat wanting what she wants, ha ha. Did you start out with induction or something similar? GABA. 5thp and L-glutamine helped you out initially if IRC.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jeanie, you and me are re-starting today. We can do it, buddy

Have a great day
Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #564
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Marika hope you are doing well.

I am into day 2 and feeling so much better already!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #565
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great Jeanie! I am also feeling so much better.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #566
Major LCF Poster!

Yes Jeannie-
I started out with a two week induction. Headache and cravings subsided by day 4-5 I think. I don't think I used the GABA and L gltamine (?) and 5htp (?) until a few weeks in. I was into induction by the time I received and read the diet cure book.
Honestly I don't even remember if I took L glut amine and 5htp this time around. I think I did

I also had the extra added incentive of trying to manage my BP. I never had an issue before with my wt causing a medical condition but this time around I did. My BP was very high and it frightened me! Maybe that has helped keep me on the straight and narrow too.
I do know this though... I've been here before and then wham, next thing I know I'm 190 lbs and wearing a size 16 again. I am one slip up away from falling into old habits. The fact that I gave that cake a glance freaks me out! That voice in my head tries to convince me that one little taste won't matter
I hate that voice
Old 11-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #567
Big Yapper!!!!

Day 2

I hate that sneaky conniving voice, seems it can come out of nowhere after weeks of doing well! After plenty of protein today I still had moments where I wanted crunchy sweet things, thankfully the stomach pain and reflux are still a not so fond memory which helped me to resist! My bp is slightly elevated I should take it more seriously.

Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration, keep posting your success. You are so close to a year!!! My record is 6 months with no binges, which had me at goal weight albeit ever so briefly in 2010.

Last edited by jeaniem; 11-12-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 02:55 AM   #568
Major LCF Poster!

High BP is frightening. Keep an eye on it. I didn't realize how out of control mine was until I began taking it at home on a daily basis.
My husband thought the machine was broken! Nope, it really was 170/106 dangerous
Old 11-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #569
Big Yapper!!!!

Day 3

Just barely hanging on, today has been hard as I am tired, sad and feeling better physically. Feeling better physically makes me forget how bad the carbs make me feel, so it becomes easier to convince myself that a little won't hurt.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #570
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jeanie, sorry to hear that those nagging thoughts are bugging you today.
I ate some carbs tonight but did not binge. I feel like if I white knuckle the desire for carbs, eventually I cave in and always end up binging. I just feel I should not be so strict with carbs because it back-fires on me.

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 11-13-2013 at 04:24 PM..