Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
Another calm, successful day.....

Slept well again and woke up with energy and my zest for life back.
Still no body pain - just stiffness. So glad I kept my gym membership.
My "plumbing" is working beautifully - it's gotta be the fat?
Nose was still so much clearer. So I am thinking that dairy has not been the problem that many say it is - not for me anyway. We'll see. Could so many of my physical problems be high carb - even fruit?! Amazing!
And here's something else - my eyes have been pretty blurry off and on for weeks now - I wear contacts and this is a big nuisance when you get this "film" on your eyes. I got a new pair and still I seemed to have the problem. Today I saw perfectly all day! No blurriness at all! Blows me away.

Had energy all day. My back pain (herniated disk) is already easing up. This is only after a couple of days of truly low carb - very close to Induction - I fully expect to be in Ketosis again tonight or tomorrow even with a couple of nuts and the honey in my coffee and the cheese I"ve had. I actually had one cup of this delicious brew without any sweetener this afternoon. Can't say I liked it but I did it.

My mood is calm and steady. This is also fabulous because I've been pretty down for a long time, and wonder of wonders, my cravings (which were very strong) are gone - already. I almost feel as if my body is actually breathing a big sigh of relief and thanking me.

Food today: Coffee/hc/small bit of honey, Splenda, and xyla

breakfast: scrambled eggs with bit of sauteed 'shrooms, red pepper and onion, bacon and lowcarb ketchup

snack: another cup of coffee/hc only, no sweetener at all and munched about 2 walnuts

supper: yummy salad with big spoonful of tuna salad on top and some kalamata olives and some homemade Greek dressing.

snack: 1 minute Muffin made with 1/2 dark unhulled sesame seeds and 1/2 flax seeds. Spread butter, coconut oil and cream cheese on this. So I sure got my fat in today. I forgot about the coconut oil for the other 2 meals. And I did fairly well with the water this morning but forgot it in the afternoon.

I am going to a wedding tomorrow and went shopping for a little black dress. Couldn't find one. I intend to find or make one this spring or summer. I had a beautiful soft wool eyelet one years ago. It had a lovely scoop neck and the skirt flared a bit. It was such a beautiful dress and guess what? I got rid of it because I was so self-conscious wearing it. Back then I was slim. That didn't matter. I could weigh 115 lbs and still be uncomfortable in my skin and feel absolutely naked in a crowd, or as someone once told me "like you have mud all over you". Yup, it's a real problem to be so self-conscious. I am almost 66 now and it's time to "get over myself". But there is definitely some baggage deep within me that makes me have so uncomfortable in crowds and feel so little self-worth. This past couple of months I kept bouncing back and forth from doing the Master Cleanse, to 80-10-10, to full-out binges and now back finally to lowcarb. I have very disordered eating and I knew that I could only get it under control with lowcarb - even if it takes me a year to shed the excess weight. If I get or make this dress, I will post a photo of myself. I will wear it - no matter what!

Am wide awake (likely the late afternoon coffee though) and it's 9 p.m.
Going to do some reading tonight. I used to say "I love how raw makes me feel". Now I might be making a big uturn and saying "I love how lowcarb makes me feel!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by islegirl; 03-09-2012 at 08:05 PM..
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Pleased with myself

Am doing very well I think. I haven't weighed myself for weeks. It's not always helpful. But I've been walking a lot for the past two weeks and fast! And I've stuck to low-carb the whole time.

But last night I couldn't seem to get full and my mood went down. So here is what I did. I know it wasn't the best choice but it could have been much worse and so I am back on track this morning with my bacon, eggs, peppers,, onions and mushrooms and butter and coffee/with heavy cream and agave (am out of my sweetener)

So after having had supper which wasn't totally low carb because I had a Wendy's Spicey Chicken Salad, I chose yogurt (ff) with stevia, coconut crystals and raspberries. Then later I still wasn't satisfied and the blues were really setting in so I had a bowl of sour cream with blueberries and low-carb maple syrup and stevia!
Just couldn't help it.
I was pretty low on energy all week and really pushed myself but am looking forward to that "energy surge" that is supposed to follow the Induction Flu.

So glad to be reading Jonny Bowden's book "Living Low Carb". It helps so much.

I feel that I have definitely lost weight and inches over the past two weeks and I am happy! (for the most part) Am looking forward to weighing myself again - but not just yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by islegirl; 03-26-2012 at 06:20 AM..
Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Great day.......until.......

Thanks for commenting on my blog everyone. (I've been trying to move many of my recent journal posts so they would appear under my old Journal title and I couldn't figure out how to copy all your comments as well. Sorry about that. I did get one done but incorrectly. That was a comment from Very Gabby LCF Member. It ended up appearing as part of my own post.) I'll try to comment on what you've said a.s.a.p. but tonight I am a bit on the cross side as someone just backed into my brand new car (well, new to me and a little beauty). Of course we had to fill up at the gas station tonight and it was too crowded and a guy in a van backed into me. Sigh.......but that's what insurance is for eh?

I did very well today eating low carb.

In the course of the day I had 2 coffees with heavy cream and sweetener.

Breakfast was sauteed mushrooms, red pepper, onion with scrambled eggs and bacon and low carb ke

Last edited by islegirl; 04-05-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

So tired but.......

I managed to stay low carb. Today I craved something sweet - like fruit. And I was very draggy. Kept my food very simple today and just endured the "perceived" hunger. I was also pretty depressed all day and that didn't help. I know it had to do with low carb. And I didn't feel lighter today as I did yesterday. Oh well - no one said this would be easy.

Yesterday I see that somehow I managed to not finish my blog properly but, no matter. I did stick to low carb all day and was in Ketosis last night too. And I walked to my bank instead of driving the short distance.

I had 2 coffees with cream and honey/splenda. The honey takes the edge off the sweetener (the bitterness). But that might be causing me the cravings. I might try my coffee without any sweetener tomorrow - I'll really try it and report back tomorrow night.

I am in deep Ketosis.

Brunch was the usual scrambled eggs with bacon, butter, mushrooms, onion and peppers and this time, not the salsa but rather with low carb ketchup.
Then I didn't have anything else except water until suppertime. Supper was Dana Carpender's "beef stroganoff" and broccoli with butter. I actually liked the broccoli the most tonight. I need to make more veggies but was just too tired today to do more than the necessary housework etc.

I'm really hoping I can stick this out because the tiredness makes me want to go back to tons of fruit.

cheri is the kindest technical helper I've ever known on-line. She was a huge help yesterday and today - fixed up my journal which I had messed up and now it has the title I wanted all along too.

Last edited by islegirl; 04-06-2012 at 06:58 PM..
Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Moving right along........

Slept really well last night. Caved this morning with my coffee and used a tsp. honey along with the heavy cream but it was so good.

Am feeling lighter again today and have energy and my mood is up again.

Breakfast was on the run and was some leftover broccoli and hamburger stroganoff. Had a coffee at McDonald’s with friends and didn’t put any sweetener of any kind in it and enjoyed it.Lunch was the usual eggs, butter, bacon, peppers, onions and mushrooms and lc ketchup.
Had another coffee while I watched videos about the raw food diet. Shouldn’t have because it kept me away until 3 a.m.

Didn’t eat supper. Just had a bowlful (later) of a mixture of cream cheese, sour cream, and yogurt, stevia and cacao – weird, but hit the spot. However, it gave me a post-nasal drip that lasted for hours.

Am still having lots of trouble with my legs - walking - my knees in particular - one is a lot worse than the other. Yesterday I thought it would give out on me or twist right around in it's socket. Very painful. It'd better not be from the meat. It could be the coffee too. I wish I weren't so addicted to it.
Am in deep Ketosis.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Will try to blog again - going through lots of stuff. Now my Mum is very ill, in hospital, and we are waiting for results of biopsy.

coffee, heavy cream and 1 pkg Xyla, 1 tsp. coconut crystals

scrambled eggs, butter, bacon fat, a bit of cherrywood kielbassa, red pepper, mushrooms and onions (all sauteed), lowcarb ketchup and some tomato slices

Tried something new today and I think it is a winner and a fabulous way to get my greens in.

I used 1 little packet of Crystal Light Lemonade (with Splenda), 3 cups water, some frozen swiss chard from my last year's garden, 1/2 a cucumber, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, and some blueberries.
Quite drinkable. I could have used ice or more water too. I'll be doing this with kale and spinach also. I am not too good making green smoothies without a lot of fruit so I thought this might be the answer.

Last edited by islegirl; 05-09-2012 at 09:03 AM..
Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Finally have some time and want to be here.

It has been a very tough summer. My Mum did die. She had stomach cancer. She was the last person in my family I ever expected would get it. She always ate in moderation and ate her own farm-raised beef or was sure to buy the best. She always had her own garden. However, she internalized stress and worry. That I know for sure. She couldn't have weighed more than 100 lbs either and was never overweight in her life. She was 86. Summer was sad for my siblings, to say the least.

So, after having taken a couple of trips to Eastern Canada to be with family, I was exhausted, hurting from head to toe from poor eating, lots of coffee drinking. I was hobbling because my knees must have been full of inflammation. So I took myself in hand and got my blood pressure back to "optimal", quit coffee (again) and rid myself of all pain in my body. I also lost about 20 lbs. I no longer crave sugar and junk food. I have craved salt and fat though. I don't suffer from insomnia anymore at all. That's a first since I've been having trouble with it for about 26 years. I just don't have much energy yet and am too shaky in the morning. Not sure what is wrong except that I must be eating too much fruit. So I am starting low carb in all seriousness again this week. I've been eating tons of veggies and salads (big ones) but quite a bit of fruit also. So I have been having fat (in my salads (avocad along with the dressing) along with fruit every day. Not a great idea I guess.

I was just reading the recent issue of "Clean Eating" and there is a pretty good article in it about the importance of fat. It's author Tosca Reno wrote that she now eats 40% fat, 35% protein, and 25% carbs (20% from leafy greens and only 5% from fruit.) At last I think I am starting to "trust" that low carb is the way for me to continue on. It's been 5 long years of trying to figure out who is on the right track and who I should believe. Even Dr. Oz confuses the issue from week to week with the variety of opinions he has on his show. He had Dr. Joel Fuhrman on the other day, touting a plant-based diet which many of his patients were thrilled with and then Dr. Oz presented another way of eating "eat right for your type" - whether you were Type A, B or C. He had lots of meat and protein out there. It bugged me. I guess we just have to figure it all out for ourselves. Anyway, I'm off to eat my delectable bacon, eggs, 'shrooms, onion and peppers all sauteed in butter.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

New Beginnings

It's been ages since I've posted here.
It has been one of the worst times of my life - these past 7 months.
I have had no energy. I got off the steroid. I even went to have "biofeedback" done and was put on lots of supplements. Then I felt even worse. I was told I might feel worse before I got better. No matter - I was sick and tired of being exhausted and in pain. My legs felt like lead and my knees and hips hurt a lot.

I took matters into my own hands and am already feeling quite a bit of improvement in just one week. I am even walking again - aside from regular trips to the grocery store. My energy is increasing I think.

Wanted to post my delicious breakfast - It's Fawn's shake with a couple of twists.

2 cups fresh coconut water
with a sprinkle of "Kal" brand stevia.

If anyone wants to know what else is in her shake - then I'll post it or you can find it here on this site. But it is "mmm - good!"

I go to see my doctor this afternoon - the one who told me to stick with Atkins! He is the kindest man and looks so fit too. His nurse lost 50 lbs doing low carb and she told me "it works"! I want to find out if anything in particular is causing my lack of energy so I am going to ask for more blood tests.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Saw a master herbalist yesterday. He is also an iridologist and live blood technician. So I got a look at my blood! Very interesting. I came home with a slew of supplements and peace of mind - that I have finally found someone who makes sense and who "gets" me. I am full of free radicals, a virus, and inflammation, hardening of arteries and he feels my emotions are the biggest culprit in my illness. I agree. I wish it wasn't so. This is the most difficult problem to deal with. I have been absolutely exhausted and full of pain since December when I "crashed" after weaning myself off Prednisone.

So much to remember and absorb and I won't truly understand all that was said until I've seen him a few times. In the meantime I am combining plants (only berries - no other fruit at this time) and low carb. Lots of wild salmon, vegetables & greens (as much raw produce as I can) and some nuts and seeds, some chicken, only a little beef, some peas, beans & lentils (depending on what they do to me). He highly recommends avocados, olive oil, coconut oil and red palm oil. He recommended Dr. Joel Fuhrman's books (which I have) and thinks that water fasts, juice fasts and a plant-based diet are wonderful. And he eats what he told me to eat. He doesn't drink coffee but does have green tea and cocoa at times. I was totally comfortable with him and trust him thus far. Several of our friends have been helped by him too.

So I will try to blog my food daily again. Feel more hopeful than I have in a long time. My hope is that in time I will be able to eat a predominantly raw plant-based diet with fruit included, in time. I wanted the 80-10-10 lfrv diet to be my ticket to best health but so far I just haven't been able to stick to it and I'm not sure that I ever will.

Here's the list of stuff I am taking:
Cat's Claw, Vitamost (chelation therapy - 5 horse pills a day), Wild Salmon Fish Oil, Vit. D3, Ultragest (for digestion - can't remember more about it though something about my gallbladder? - will research it), Vit. B Complex, Vit. B12, and CoQ10. He said he'll wait until the fall before deciding whether or not to do a liver cleanse.

Breakfast: 1 cup coffee with cream/honey and coconut oil - that's my limit for the day though - I still hope to give it up when I feel better but he said it's okay for now. A huge Green Smoothie: swiss chard, dandelion, 4 celery, 1 carrot, 1/2 apple, 2Tbsp. walnuts, 1 Tbsp. almonds, about 1/8 tsp. Kal Brand Stevia, 1 cup water, 1 cup plain organic yogurt.