Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
So-so day...

Began with coffee. Was up a pound today. Didn't like that one bit. Too much salt yesterday likely.

Then had a green smoothie: 4 celery, 1 cuke, 1 apple and about 1 c. blueberries and some water and chia seeds (1T of the seeds to about 1 cup water) I also added stevia.

Supper: a salad: tomatoes, cuke, romaine, field greens, iceberg, red pepper, red onion, kalamata olives and a dressing made with avocado, evoo, lemon and orange juice, garlic, green onions, agave, sea salt and I didn't like it.

Not very hungry today and fed up already. Am missing the energy I got from fruits and veggies, nuts, seeds and lots of greens.
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

primroselane - thanks so much for your comment - I just checked this thread out today so that's why I'm late thanking you. Yes, that's always been my problem "who to believe". Well, I'm reading Gary Taubes book "Why we Get Fat and What to do About It". I haven't near finished his other book "Good Calories Bad Calories" (that's not an easy book to read) but this other one is much easier and very convincing and I've been plugging away with staying in Induction. Other than one slip-up (quite by mistake) I am doing quite well so far. Hope you are having a great healthy happy weekend!

Last edited by islegirl; 09-04-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Old 09-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Doing well......

Other than a mistake yesterday I'm doing well on Induction. Yesterday we had some salads from Wendy's. I totally forgot that their Chicken Caesar Salad was made with "breaded" grilled chicken and I ate it. And I noticed that by the middle of the night I was out of Ketosis. Sigh. Maybe by tonight it will be back though. I have to find a good low carb breading other than almond flour and pork rinds. I know they are out there and then I'll make my own chicken for my salads. I'll look through the recipes later tonight.

At the moment I am drinking Fawn's Shake and this time I have the aloe along with everything else except the chlorophyll. I added 5 cups worth of greens (kale and spinach)

My bra was definitely looser this morning in spite of the fact that I'm having an awful time with constipation. So I only lost 1 pound this week. I quit taking Herbal Laxative Tablets (a lifelong bad habit which has given me a lazy bowel). Sorry for those who don't care for TMI. But it's important for me to detail my progress. So this week I used ground flax, sprouted chia seeds, celery and other veggies and greens. Today I began using Psyllium Husks too which my doctor recommended. I heard that they can irritate the colon but I am getting pretty desperate with this problem as nothing short of using a bomb seems to be the solution. Even my morning coffee isn't working anymore. Any suggestions? I'll have to do some more reading around here. Oh, I am trying to up my water intake too - when I remember. I will get better with that.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #124
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
I'm sorry! Have you tried magnesium and/or lots of coconut oil? I have made coconut oil "candy" w/ cocoa powder, shredded coconut, erythritol, & toasted pecans in the coconut oil then I freeze it. When I eat a lot, I notice!

Sorry that I haven't posted in awhile! I'm glad that your clothes are getting lose!

I have read that some people don't need fiber, they need fats to not be constipated. I have noticed when I eat a LOT of fat, I don't have that problem at all. HTH!
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Hi Wendy. Thanks for the tips. No I haven't tried magnesium yet. But I have noticed that added oil sometimes help - even extra bacon grease with my scrambled eggs and bacon. So far today I am just getting bloated. I'll try drinking more water and having some more psyllium though I've read that that can actually make things worse. Maybe the fat is a better idea. Can't wait to see my doctor this week - hope he can help. How as your summer and btw, that "candy" sounds so yummy. I'd better get some erythritol.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: priori
Start Date: 1/15/13
Your post was really interesting! I agree that the best part about low carb (aside from working!) is that the food actually tastes good and is a pleasure to eat. I know many folks that say food is just sustinance, but its more for me, I really enjoy it and I like that we have that option during this time, so for me being able to eat things that taste good really makes it doable for me.
priori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Reading Gary Taubes' books is a smart thing to do! I've been a low carber for 8 years and have made it my mission to educate myself of all the ins-and-outs. There are a ton of great websites to read for information and support. I am a big fan of Dr. Michael Eades' blog (co-author of Protein Power) and also enjoy reading Jimmy Moore's Livin La Vida Low Carb blog. Google them and check them out when you have time. Best wishes on your low carb journey.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Priori, you are so right. It tastes good - it's quite easy to still be able to cook one way for ourselves and another for others who still want the added carbs. They still usually really like our tasty dishes along with their pasta, rice or potatoes or whatever else we won't have.
I'm still going to try to eat as many raw greens and veggies as I can though - I know for a fact it does absolute wonders for my skin. As for the fruit - this time around I am really being careful - today I only had 1/2 cup of blueberries in "Fawn's Shake" but I also had lots of kale and spinach in it, and the seeds, walnuts etc. It doesn't taste great without more fruit but I will do it this way for now anyway.

Tonight I had two delicious moist very flavorful hamburger patties made with some heavy cream, chopped onion and chopped tomatoe in them. Yum. Had these with green beans.

Thanks so much for adding your comment - it's very encouraging.

theredhead (Laurie) - 8 years?! Sounds like it's working for you or you'd not have carried on with it as a permanent way of eating. I've read Protein Power but haven't visited those 2 sites. I'll do it. Reading all I can about low carb (must admit I've read plenty about other ways of eating - which can be confusing) really encourages me to keep going. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #129
Amish Wit

I hope that you find something that works for you soon.

My summer has been pretty good--busy, but good. We didn't get much summer weather at all until the second half of August, so I'm not yet ready for fall! We didn't have a lot of summer weather last year, either.

Erythritol isn't the best for melting, but I prefer it to artificial sweeteners because it's not artificial. If you don't mind AS, then you might want to use one of them. A tip that I read is to add frozen nuts to the mix so that it hardens before it separates. I had wondered why it sometimes separated into layers.

Gluten, dairy, & chicken egg free
Old 09-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Wendy -We didn't have a lot of summer weather last year, either. I think our summer was the hottest ever!

Erythritol isn't the best for melting, but I prefer it to artificial sweeteners because it's not artificial. If you don't mind AS, then you might want to use one of them. A tip that I read is to add frozen nuts to the mix so that it hardens before it separates. I had wondered why it sometimes separated into layers. [/QUOTE]

Not too sure what you mean here Wendy. I'd use it for coffee and smoothies for the most part - I like the idea that it isn't artificial. But maybe you could elaborate a biit about the "melting" and adding the frozen nuts and the separating into layers? Please? No rush though. Thanks for your kind comments - I love your input.

I forgot to add - I've been trying the "Splenda Coffee Flavors" in my coffee with a bit of honey too and I'm still not thrilled with the result. I always taste a slight bitterness. I use the honey because it offsets it - giving it that lovely smoothness back. Sigh - I so wish there was something out there that would satisfy that would make it easier to give up the honey. I've though about drinking coffee without any sweetener - but yuk - no, I don't think so. However, the good news is that I am still in deep Ketosis.

Sorry - I'm not too good with using the little icons for "bold", "italics", etc.

Last edited by islegirl; 09-05-2011 at 07:19 AM..
Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #131
Amish Wit

HOORAY for being in deep ketosis!!

I quit using agave syrup because it gives me gas (sorry for TMI) but maybe that would help you give up honey if it's the flavor that you're wanting. (It seems kind of honeyish to me...maybe.) Some people say that agave syrup is bad for you, just so you know. I haven't made up my mind, but since it doesn't like me, I don't have to.

Sorry your summer was so hot!

Erythritol works fine in hot liquids, you're right. What I shoud've said is that when I've used it in things that are hot but then are cooled, it tends to recrystalize. I'm not sure if it does that for others or if I'm not heating it long enough, or what.

When making the "candy" I melt some coconut oil to have something hot to melt the erythritol. Then I add the cocoa powder, rest of the coconut oil, nuts and flaked coconut (not the sweetened shredded kind). I read that if the nuts and/or coconut is frozen when it's added to the coconut oil, the oil and cocoa won't have time to separate while it's cooling in the freezer. If they're room temperature, or if you've just toasted your pecans, the mixture will be very warm and while it's cooling (I put mine in the freezer rather than the refrigerator) things can separate into layers.

Sorry for not being clear the last time. Did I explain what you were wondering about this time?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

wcwendy - I just realized that your name might not actually be "Wendy" - so, I'm sorry about that.
Thanks for the tip about Agave. Yes, I've used it many times when I was eating all raw food. I haven't tried it in my coffee yet. I'll compare carb counts. I also have coconut crystals which are low on the glycemic index. I'll compare the two. Who knows - maybe one of these days I'll surprise myself and truly quit coffee once and for all.

Today was just a great day. I had energy all day - more than I've had in quite a long time - a couple of weeks, I think.

Here's what I ate and drank.

Started the day off with coffee - cream, splenda and a bit of honey

A modified "Fawn's Shake" - meaning that I left out the seeds and the walnuts to have as a snack later in the day. I had them after supper - kind of like a dessert and I added hemp seeds (nuts) to them as well as a bit of raw unsweetened coconut. And the greens I used in the shake were 2 stalks of celery and a bunch of swiss chard and 1'2 a cucumber. This made a huge smoothie and I have a pint jar saved in the fridge for tomorrow. Oh yes, I used 1 cup mixed berries in it also.

Another coffee with the usual cream and honey.

Much later in the day I had a hard boiled egg with a bit of Hellmann's. Mmm - good snack.

Supper: A delicious salad with Greek Dressing, romaine, iceberg lettuce, cuke, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes from our garden, red pepper, red onion, radish and a piece of almond breaded grilled chicken I made the other day. I also sprinkled a tiny bit of coconut crystals on the dressing to take a bit of the sharp bite out of it. I am so sick of my own Greek dressing. I need a new recipe. This did the trick. I craved sweet and fat today and got both - but low carb.

Snack tonight was a "1 Minute Muffin" with butter in and on it. And I added an extra pkg of Splenda to the muffin as I seemed to really want something sweet tonight. Mmm good.I thought I'd better do this instead of dribbling honey on it. Afterall, I'd already had some honey in my 2 coffees today. I am wondering if my sugar craving will disappear if I skip the honey in my coffee. Not sure if I will try that - we'll see.

The weather was much cooler today here and not so humid so I am wondering if this might be why I felt more energetic. Not sure yet. I've noticed that my nails are growing much better now too since starting low carb again.

Just have two problems. One is constipation and nothing is working. I am going to buy some magnesium - maybe - tomorrow. I also find that I get warmer with the protein and fat and don't like that but I am doing this anyway. I've been using flax oil, ground flax seeds, sprouted chia seeds, lots of greens, and some water (likely not enough). I've got to remember that tomorrow. But it must have something to do with using those herbal laxative tablets for about 46 years - every single night! It has to do with nerves too. I went away for about 6 days this summer and couldn't go to the bathroom for 5 of those days. The trip was nerve-wracking and not a holiday at all.

I am in deep Ketosis tonight and thrilled because I ate a lot today. But I knew that it was all low carb. I also lost a pound yesterday!

I am still wide awake but it's bedtime. Maybe I'll have to read.

Last edited by islegirl; 09-05-2011 at 08:10 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Too tired to blog my food tonight but I ate low carb all day - a green smoothie - yesterday's leftover one to which I added a banana and a
salmon/tomato/cheese melt for lunch, and a hard-boiled egg for a snack around 4 p.m. and a huge salad for a very late supper of all kinds of salad ingredients and 2 hard-boiled eggs and my own Caesar dressing made with Hellmann's.
Also had 2 coffees with cream and honey today.

Still in Ketosis but was up 2 lbs this morning! That was very upsetting. Maybe it was the pill I took last night to make me sleep.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Even better today....

Still in Ketosis and walked fast today. Actually had energy!

Yet, here is what I ate.

Coffee/heavy cream/raw honey

Bacon, eggs with mushrooms, peppers and onions all done in butter.

Another coffee/heavy cream/raw honey

Green Smoothie: 1 cup blueberries, 1 banana, 1 T. coconut oil, 1 pkg. Truvia (stevia), 2 big stalks celery with leaves, 1/2 organic cucumber, about 1 cup water.

Supper: salmon patties topped with a bit of Tartar sauce, big salad with homemade Caesar dressing.

Snack before bed: 1 minute muffin topped with butter, cream cheese and some "Smuckers No Sugar Added" orange spread. Mmm good!

And I was back down a pound today.

But I am still reading Gary Taubes' book "Why We Get Fat" and am almost finished it - it says that coffee, dairy (cream) and nuts can cause problems for some- might cause significant insulin secretion. Not what I want so I am going to try giving these things up again. I found quitting cigarettes much easier than quitting coffee because I love it so much.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Trying again.....

2 scrambled eggs, with green pepper, onions and mushrooms and butter and lowcarb ketchup
coffee with heavy cream and a bit of raw honey
Old 11-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Since I still don't know how to compile a "draft" so I can add meals as I eat them throughout the day and then post it altogether at night, I'll just continue to journal my food for today in this new post.

Supper was a dish with peppers, onions and sauerkraut and oktoberfest sausages and a low carb sweet and sour tasting sauce along with a bit of mustard and some cheese sprinkled on top. Delish and satisfying. And I've brushed my teeth and am done eating for the day.

Bought myself a new Cuisinart Grill today and am going to have some low carb hamburgers tomorrow night with a salad. Am relieved tonight because I have hope again and am not starving. And it will be so much easier to cook meals for both myself and my husband. I had been trying to do High Raw meals for myself and then cook his usual SAD meals. Very tough. Now we will both have similar food and I know he'll have no problem with low carb dishes I make. He doesn't even know they are low carb.

I did have a smoothie this morning with banana which I didn't mention and that was when I decided I couldn't stand eating so much fruit anymore - not now anyway. For the winter I am going to stick with Atkins and simply use berries and greens in my smoothies along with the other stuff Fawn's shake calls for. That's the plan and this time I am sticking to it!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I don't know what "draft" means, but you can only add to your post for 1 hour. After that you must start a new post.

Oh, and welcome back. Try again and again until you get it right.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

A "draft" is kind of like a "rough copy"? which you save and then can "post" later when it's complete i.e. at the end of the day.
Thanks for the welcome and I am very relieved to be here.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Blogging my food.

coffee/heavy cream/1 pkg Xyla, and just a tiny bit of honey to make sure there is absolutely no aftertaste from the Xyla.

Yummy Shake: Blue Diamond Chocolate Almond Breeze, organic plain ff yogurt, a couple of walnuts, flax, sunflower, pumpkin, and sesame seeds, blueberries, 1 frozen banana, handful of spinach, aloe juice, codliver oil, juice of 1/2 lemon.

This is all low enough carb to keep me in Ketosis.

This new stuff I bought called Xyla is going to be a real help. It's very low carb and has no aftertaste - best sweetener I've ever had. I was helping a very nice lady who was obviously interested in eating healthier food pick out avocados to make a "mousse" for a party. In turn, she told me about the Xyla and told me where to find it right there in the store. I am thrilled. You can buy it in little pkgs for tea/coffee or in bulk pkgs for baking. She uses it all the time for baking.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tybeeanna
Stats: H286 }232VSG{ C162 G when I get there
WOE: low/carb 8-21-12
Start Date: 8/21/12
Just a quick ? is that xyla a wood sugar? Oh & welcome back
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Tybeeanna - yes, it is. From bark and roots, I believe, but I threw out the outer package with the description. Next time I buy some I'll keep the pkg and if you want the information I'll post it? And thanks for the "welcome back". I appreciate it. Have a great day!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quite happy with just 2 meals today.

Supper was an odd one but good anyway - bacon, scrambled eggs with some red pepper, diced onion and chopped mushrooms along with a side of broccoli. I used butter as well as lowcarb ketchup. Tasted fine but you know, I still wasn't that hungry. That smoothie this morning took me right through the day. I could have been happy with a salad but didn't have the greens and tomatoes on hand today. And I had another cup of coffee around 3:30. Yum - love that stuff - will never quit - I don't think.

Mood was steady all day. Feeling fine actually. Not going to weigh myself for a couple of weeks either.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Back again.......

Listing my food.

coffee - bit of honey, pkg xyla, bit of Splenda (honey takes bitterness out of the sweeteners - sounds like a lot but I'm trying to keep amounts very small.
18% cream

Breakfast - smoothie with Blue Diamond Almond Breeze (vanilla), ff organic yogurt, 2 T ea sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, 1T cod liver oil,
blueberries, coconut oil (1T) (think that was all)

Lunch - 1 tomato topped with old cheddar, tuna, put under broiler

Snack - about 2 walnuts, 1 stalk celery

Supper - wasn't hungry - 2 stalks celery with cream cheese

This was yesterday's food (March 8th/12)

Here's what I noticed. I've been eating quite a lot of fruit lately and not enough low carb. And I've been confusing myself by reading all I can about the raw food lifestyle. Yesterday I read some things on the Foodnsport site about people who were getting fatter (not what I want) and Dr. Douglas Graham's take on it in his book 80-10-10 about needing to reduce calories if they are trying to lose weight. All the while, I've known that many many 811ers eat tons of calories in fruit and I'd been doing that - not remembering what Graham said about restricting calories if one wanted to lose weight. I think I just kind of repeated myself there. Oh well. Repetition for emphasis eh? This isn't the way I want to live. I don't want to worry about my food anymore. I just want to lose weight - the feeling of good health will come again in time with the weight loss. I remember always what Atkins said about being able to lose weight with lowcarb and some were not even exercising much in the beginning. But I will definitely be doing that though not maniacly, which is what I see with many raw fooders doing 80-10-10. I have much more to do with my time than exercise.

I actually signed up and paid for an art course beginning at the end of this month - it will be my first time drawing anything in 49 years! Have been afraid of failure for years - me - I have baggage - most definitely. But I know I was a pretty good artist in high school - my art was put on display in showcases across from the principal's office - I so wish I had kept my work - wish my parents had taken a real interest.

In time I so want to incorporate more fruit but not now and believe me, I will add it in very watchfully. I think I've finally figured this out.

Anyway my weight is up and I've been feeling awful and have had tons of cravings and subsequently quite a few binges. But just since yesterday - a true low carb day - I felt a real calmness last night for a few hours before bed. I slept well. This morning I feel fairly peppy. I have no pain (lately I've had plenty of that), not nearly as much limping. And here's the most amazing thing I noticed when I got up - the lining of my nose isn't raw and bloody as it has been while I was eating all that fruit. This may not mean a thing, but you can be sure I'm going to watch it carefully. All along I thought it was a result of the dry apartment (it's way too warm in here and I don't control the heat) and I haven't been dehydrated either, I don't think. If anything, I would have been dehydrated yesterday as I forgot to drink my water. Got to find a way to do that - not a water drinker.

Last edited by islegirl; 03-09-2012 at 05:33 AM..
Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Another calm, successful day......

Slept well again and woke up with energy and my zest for life back.
Still no body pain - just stiffness. So glad I kept my gym membership.
My "plumbing" is working beautifully - it's gotta be the fat?
Nose was still so much clearer. So I am thinking that dairy has not been the problem that many say it is - not for me anyway. We'll see. Could so many of my physical problems be high carb - even fruit?! Amazing!
And here's something else - my eyes have been pretty blurry off and on for weeks now - I wear contacts and this is a big nuisance when you get this "film" on your eyes. I got a new pair and still I seemed to have the problem. Today I saw perfectly all day! No blurriness at all! Blows me away.

Had energy all day. My back pain (herniated disk) is already easing up. This is only after a couple of days of truly low carb - very close to Induction - I fully expect to be in Ketosis again tonight or tomorrow even with a couple of nuts and the honey in my coffee and the cheese I"ve had. I actually had one cup of this delicious brew without any sweetener this afternoon. Can't say I liked it but I did it.

My mood is calm and steady. This is also fabulous because I've been pretty down for a long time, and wonder of wonders, my cravings (which were very strong) are gone - already. I almost feel as if my body is actually breathing a big sigh of relief and thanking me.

Food today: Coffee/hc/small bit of honey, Splenda, and xyla

breakfast: scrambled eggs with bit of sauteed 'shrooms, red pepper and onion, bacon and lowcarb ketchup

snack: another cup of coffee/hc only, no sweetener at all and munched about 2 walnuts

supper: yummy salad with big spoonful of tuna salad on top and some kalamata olives and some homemade Greek dressing.

snack: 1 minute Muffin made with 1/2 dark unhulled sesame seeds and 1/2 flax seeds. Spread butter, coconut oil and cream cheese on this. So I sure got my fat in today. I forgot about the coconut oil for the other 2 meals. And I did fairly well with the water this morning but forgot it in the afternoon.

I am going to a wedding tomorrow and went shopping for a little black dress. Couldn't find one. I intend to find or make one this spring or summer. I had a beautiful soft wool eyelet one years ago. It had a lovely scoop neck and the skirt flared a bit. It was such a beautiful dress and guess what? I got rid of it because I was so self-conscious wearing it. Back then I was slim. That didn't matter. I could weigh 115 lbs and still be uncomfortable in my skin and feel absolutely naked in a crowd, or as someone once told me "like you have mud all over you". Yup, it's a real problem to be so self-conscious. I am almost 66 now and it's time to "get over myself". But there is definitely some baggage deep within me that makes me have so uncomfortable in crowds and feel so little self-worth. This past couple of months I kept bouncing back and forth from doing the Master Cleanse, to 80-10-10, to full-out binges and now back finally to lowcarb. I have very disordered eating and I knew that I could only get it under control with lowcarb - even if it takes me a year to shed the excess weight. If I get or make this dress, I will post a photo of myself. I will wear it - no matter what!

Am wide awake (likely the late afternoon coffee though) and it's 9 p.m.
Going to do some reading tonight. I used to say "I love how raw makes me feel". Now I might be making a big uturn and saying "I love how lowcarb makes me feel!"

Last edited by islegirl; 03-09-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Old 03-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Pleased with myself.....

Am doing very well I think. I haven't weighed myself for weeks. It's not always helpful. But I've been walking a lot for the past two weeks and fast! And I've stuck to low-carb the whole time.

But last night I couldn't seem to get full and my mood went down. So here is what I did. I know it wasn't the best choice but it could have been much worse and so I am back on track this morning with my bacon, eggs, peppers,, onions and mushrooms and butter and coffee/with heavy cream and agave (am out of my sweetener)

So after having had supper which wasn't totally low carb because I had a Wendy's Spicey Chicken Salad, I chose yogurt (ff) with stevia, coconut crystals and raspberries. Then later I still wasn't satisfied and the blues were really setting in so I had a bowl of sour cream with blueberries and low-carb maple syrup and stevia!
Just couldn't help it.
I was pretty low on energy all week and really pushed myself but am looking forward to that "energy surge" that is supposed to follow the Induction Flu.

So glad to be reading Jonny Bowden's book "Living Low Carb". It helps so much.

I feel that I have definitely lost weight and inches over the past two weeks and I am happy! (for the most part) Am looking forward to weighing myself again - but not just yet.

Last edited by islegirl; 03-26-2012 at 05:20 AM..
Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
One day to the next. You are doing well. Keep on fighting and it will become easier.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hi, Isle Girl -

I, too, really like Jonny Bowden's "Living Low Carb" book. For a great first person perspective, have you read Dana Carpender's "How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds?" It is in turns funny and touching, and a good "kick in the butt" book. Dana is now kind of the queen of LC cookbooks. If you get a chance to read her book, I think you'll enjoy it. She talks about her journey, her body image, etc.

Also, I know what you mean about being self-conscius. I'm 51 now, and even though I'm FINALLY almost at my goal (past year mainly VLC, now moderate carb JUDDD), I still feel "fat" and, like you said, have body issues to work on.

I'm enjoying reading about your journey. Can't wait to see your dress when you get it made (you must be talented to be able to make your own clothes!)
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Great day .....until......

Thanks for commenting on my blog everyone. I'll try to comment on what you've said a.s.a.p. but tonight I am a bit on the cross side as someone just backed into my brand new car (well, new to me and a little beauty). Of course we had to fill up at the gas station tonight and it was too crowded and a guy in a van backed into me. Sigh.......but that's what insurance is for eh?

I did very well today eating low carb.

In the course of the day I had 2 coffees with heavy cream and sweetener.

Breakfast was sauteed mushrooms, red pepper, onion with scrambled eggs and bacon and low carb ketchup.

Supper was about 1/4 chicken from the Tuesday special at our local Metro store. I was so tired tonight, feet aching from grocery shopping and back has been bothering me for weeks (herniated disk which I hope weight loss will help a lot). And I just didn't have time to eat anything else today and have brushed my teeth. So all in all I did well.
Oh yes, I also ordered Dr. Phinney's book last night from Amazon. Very happy about that and I watched his whole video about sugar on utube last night. Very encouraging. I really think that this time around I will succeed with the low carb lifestyle. He explained that it takes time for our bodies to adapt to burning a different kind of fuel - up to six weeks for some people!

And with some people each time they "cheat" it can take longer for the body to adapt all over again so it just isn't worth it.

Anyway, I am happy to be here again and plan to stick around. Just not too happy about my Corolla tonight.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Just made Cleochatra’s dressing for her “Parmesan Vegetable Salad” and it’s just so tasty. My husband made a salad yesterday but we only had crummy bottled dressings so I saved it for today and made this to go with it. Yum.

Coffee with heavy cream and sweetener plus a tsp honey. Today I am going to read the thread about sweeteners and hopefully I’ll find something in there so I can wean myself off or cut out completely honey which I know is a no-no. I can maintain Ketosis while using it however but maybe it could add to any cravings I might have. So far I am so excited about doing this and sticking with it – I am just pretty tired though – no, very tired!

Had a chicken wing to tide me over ‘til I can make my breakfast.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with sautéed shrooms, peppers and onion, butter and some low carb ketchup and bacon (mmm, the bacon was so good – am loving the fat)

Another coffee for a break.

Feeling generally pukey today – low-grade headache and a bit nauseous – have actually been feeling like this for a while. Really wanting something sweet and fruity so I made a pitcher of lemonade with juice from about 6 lemons and added water, splenda and stevia. Tasted so-so but will help to get some water into me and hopefully satisfy the sugar monster.

Supper will be a delicious salad with romaine, iceberg, tomatoes, cuke, onion, broccoli and Cleochatra's (Parmesan Vegetable Salad) Dressing. I'll add either some tuna to this or some chicken.

Strange that I think I'll likely be able to eat this even though right now I feel so sick.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Never Giving Up

Listing my food.

coffee - bit of honey, pkg xyla, bit of Splenda (honey takes bitterness out of the sweeteners - sounds like a lot but I'm trying to keep amounts very small.
18% cream

Breakfast - smoothie with Blue Diamond Almond Breeze (vanilla), ff organic yogurt, 2 T ea sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, 1T cod liver oil,
blueberries, coconut oil (1T) (think that was all)

Lunch - 1 tomato topped with old cheddar, tuna, put under broiler

Snack - about 2 walnuts, 1 stalk celery

Supper - wasn't hungry - 2 stalks celery with cream cheese

This was yesterday's food (March 8th/12)

Here's what I noticed. I've been eating quite a lot of fruit lately and not enough low carb. And I've been confusing myself by reading all I can about the raw food lifestyle. Yesterday I read some things on the Foodnsport site about people who were getting fatter (not what I want) and Dr. Douglas Graham's take on it in his book 80-10-10 about needing to reduce calories if they are trying to lose weight. All the while, I've known that many many 811ers eat tons of calories in fruit and I'd been doing that - not remembering what Graham said about restricting calories if one wanted to lose weight. I think I just kind of repeated myself there. Oh well. Repetition for emphasis eh? This isn't the way I want to live. I don't want to worry about my food anymore. I just want to lose weight - the feeling of good health will come again in time with the weight loss. I remember always what Atkins said about being able to lose weight with lowcarb and some were not even exercising much in the beginning. But I will definitely be doing that though not maniacly, which is what I see with many raw fooders doing 80-10-10. I have much more to do with my time than exercise.

I actually signed up and paid for an art course beginning at the end of this month - it will be my first time drawing anything in 49 years! Have been afraid of failure for years - me - I have baggage - most definitely. But I know I was a pretty good artist in high school - my art was put on display in showcases across from the principal's office - I so wish I had kept my work - wish my parents had taken a real interest.

In time I so want to incorporate more fruit but not now and believe me, I will add it in very watchfully. I think I've finally figured this out.

Anyway my weight is up and I've been feeling awful and have had tons of cravings and subsequently quite a few binges. But just since yesterday - a true low carb day - I felt a real calmness last night for a few hours before bed. I slept well. This morning I feel fairly peppy. I have no pain (lately I've had plenty of that), not nearly as much limping. And here's the most amazing thing I noticed when I got up - the lining of my nose isn't raw and bloody as it has been while I was eating all that fruit. This may not mean a thing, but you can be sure I'm going to watch it carefully. All along I thought it was a result of the dry apartment (it's way too warm in here and I don't control the heat) and I haven't been dehydrated either, I don't think. If anything, I would have been dehydrated yesterday as I forgot to drink my water. Got to find a way to do that - not a water drinker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by islegirl; 03-09-2012 at 06:33 AM..