Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
Trying again...

Wow - I haven't been here since May, except for a bit of lurking here and there.

For a long time - too long, I've been trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together - is fat the culprit or is it sugar?

Well, in the [B]raw[B]world there seems to be the same controversy. Anyway I am so tired of this battle. I am reading about seizures being controlled by low carb, about the benefits of fasting on water, Ketosis and Dr. Atkins books again. The common thread seems to be that Ketosis is definitely a "good safe place" to be for many for a variety of reasons.

So that is where I am headed again. I will still try to get lots of raw produce in though - low glycemic as I get back into induction. I've said this before and I'll say it again - I am pretty sure that Fawn was right when she told me that a strictly raw food diet just is difficult to sustain. It certainly is for me anyway.

Isn't it exciting that Fawn is going to be in January's issue of "First"?! Can't wait.

Off to eat my bacon and eggs with lc ketchup and a bit of peppers, onion and shrooms and butter. Hope it starts working on my high blood pressure and dizziness SOON!

I think I might order Gary Taubes book too. "Good Calories, Bad Calories". I was tempted to buy Caldwell Esselstyn's book about reversing heart disease, after having seen 2 of his videos but think I have changed my mind.

Sigh - sorry to be such a downer - I am just sick and tired of being sick and tired.:blush:
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Not seesawing anymore........

For the past 3 years I've gone back and forth from raw food to Atkins and a combination of both diets. No more. I read "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith. Wow, this book scared me. Then I opened to just the right page in one of Dr. Atkins' books and re-read about some of the studies done years ago by Kekwick and Pawan etc. etc. and I am sticking to low-carb. It will take me a few days to get over the "flu" or lack of energy though. That can put people off I think - but I read everything Fawn wrote on her site too and found plenty of reassurance and free help. I am doing this right.

So far today I have had 2 cups of coffee and some sausages and eggs with red pepper and a bit of onion. No mushrooms this time as I think they might be causing me a skin problem - same with cheese. I have one big itchy sore that just won't heal on my arm - it's about 1/4 inch around and is one big nuisance.

I am so happy and relieved to be serious about doing Atkins along with incorporating Misty's (Fawn's) help from her site. Since I am quite tired today I am just reading - lots!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Such a good day!

My sausage and egg breakfast held me over all day and I just read and read and read - really relaxed. My husband isn't feeling great and so he didn't want any supper - thus making it even easier for me today.

I just made one of those One Minute Muffins and had it with cream cheese. It was so delicious. I am so excited about forging ahead on Low Carb again. I should have had some berries and some veggies and greens but I just wasn't hungry enough and my fridge won't be topped up until tomorrow.

Last year I made copies of many, many of the recipes from this site and put them in a special accordian-type folder that is just perfect for this sort of thing and I labelled everything according to all the different categories of the recipes. I am so glad I did this and that I kept them.

I also made up a list of things I want to order from Netrition unless I can find a place in Canada where I can get them - maybe in Toronto.

Can you see me jumping up and down with contentment and enthusiasm tonight? That is just how I feel. Oh yeah, and with renewed hope that I am going to get my blood pressure down to normal and lose any excess weight once and for all. Yup, I am aiming for a fabulous change in myself by spring.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Another great day......

Just not quite enought time in it though......shopping and cooking for other people today.

This morning I had my usual delish coffee with heavy cream and honey (I know I shouldn't but I don't like Splenda or Stevia and definitely don't want sugar) Am going to order some tastier Stevia if I can figure out which one to get. Or I'll just continue with raw honey.

Just now I'm having "Fawn's Shake". I wasn't able to get the Kefir or the Cod Liver Oil for it yet but this is what I put in it:

banana (needed it, and I will still be in Ketosis) I will still have a bit more fruit than some may be able to have - as long as I stay in Ketosis.
1/2c blueberries
whackload of romaine
3 brazil nuts (haven't any walnuts yet)
1T coconut oil
2T ground flax seeds
1T ea sunflower and pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup full fat organic plain yogurt

And I took my 1,000 IU Vit. D which I will keep doing until I pick up some of the "Carlson's Lemon flavored Cod Liver Oil.

A bit tired today - was awake until around 2 a.m. Shouldn't have had a second coffee in the afternoon yesterday, I guess.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Poor combination......

I wasn't thinking straight when I had fruit with the nuts, and the coconut oil plus the yogurt. I am better off having fruit alone early in the day or only with greens and I will try adding just the coconut oil. I'll save the yogurt and nuts/seeds for later in the day. I should have known. Big bloated tummy is the pretty uncomfortable result.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Stuck with it .........

Supper was a piece of salmon with some Greek salad.

so, all in all, I had a low carb day straight through.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Still in Ketosis

Yay! Let those little sticks keep turning purple.

I was a bit hungry tonight but I'd alread flossed and brushed and I sure didn't want to have to do that again. So I did well by being satisfied with supper.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Finally back, again.....

Now I am in Ketosis .
And here is how I started my day -

32 oz glass of water with juice of 1/2 lemon

1 coffee HC/honey

Fawn's Shake with minor changes (didn't have aloe vera so I used 1/2 cup water, added 1 banana, 1T brown unhulled sesame seeds.
I added the banana because I have been able to maintain Ketosis even with a fair amount of fruit and the smoothie really needed something sweet. So we'll see what happens on the little stick tonight. I also used chard, kale and romaine.

This should do me for several hours!

Yesterday, btw, I had a delicious broccoli cranberry salad and some trout for supper. In the morning, a smoothie with cilantro, jalapeno, coconut milk, pineapple and can't remember what else. I'll mention it later, if I think of it.

If anyone reads this, I'd sure appreciate it if you'd comment as to whether I am journalling in the right place - the best place - to discuss my day and my food? I am interested in others' viewpoints and so want my journal to be as visible as possible. I am a computer novice, still.:blush:
Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Having a great day.......

While out shopping I had 2 squares of a Lindt 70% cacoa (cocao) chocolate bar. I've heard that it's a great "pepper upper".

Then around 2 p.m. I made the strangest Green Smoothie with 2 green apples, 1/2 large english cuke, about 4 stalks celery, 1/2 jalapeno pepper with seeds (heard they are good for constipation), and all the seeds (fruit) from a pomegranate, 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 cup water and 5 ice cubes (to cut the heat of the pepper) and 1 pkg of stevia. This made 2 huge glasses and I drank them both. This was pretty spicy and not something I'd normally have. I chose to keep it as green as I could though and I knew it was a healthy smoothie.

Last edited by islegirl; 01-13-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #100
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by islegirl View Post
If anyone reads this, I'd sure appreciate it if you'd comment as to whether I am journalling in the right place - the best place - to discuss my day and my food? I am interested in others' viewpoints and so want my journal to be as visible as possible. I am a computer novice, still.:blush:
Congrats on being in ketosis!

Yes, you are journaling in the correct place; however, if you want people to comment, you will likely need to ask questions in the lowcarb forum or join a challenge/support group. As far as I can tell, not a lot of people read others' journals, so those are likely to give you more responses. There is also the eating and exercise plans section.
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

I think I could live with a diet like this! I love coffee, and pizza and lots of fat!
Thanks for always commenting on my jourrnal Wendy. You've lost a lot of weight! Good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcwendy View Post
I had pizza toppings for dinner last night. It's funny that I lose weight so easily when the fat content of my diet is so high and the carb count is so very low. I know that I decided to stay away from dairy since I'm allergic to it, but I'm wondering what would happen if I lived on coffee w/ HWC, pizza toppings, bacon and pork rinds for a couple of weeks. I think that I might lose 6-10 lbs.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

End of the day...

I wrote a tiny bit on your journal, Wendy.

I'll have to figure out if I can "draft" my journal so as to put it all into one post per day.

Here is what I had for supper. 2 pork chops baked in 1/2 almond flour and 1/2 shake 'n bake, unsweetened applesauce, and more of the Broccoli Cranberry Salad.

I am so tired tonight. I shopped and walked and walked always parking my car far away from the store.

So glad I am doing this.
I have just begin taking Lithium for Bipolar disorder. The dosage is very very small and this is my fourth day. Not sure how I feel yet. I think I am just fine. Imagine that - finally perhaps getting help at the age of 64.

Last edited by islegirl; 01-13-2011 at 05:04 PM..
Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #103
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by islegirl View Post
I think I am just fine. Imagine that - finally perhaps getting help at the age of 64.
I am so sorry that it has taken so long for you to get help, but I am also so glad that you are getting help!
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Had a fabulous day.

Not sure if my carbs were low enough to stay in Ketosis but I'll know later tonight and post about it tomorrow.
I started off with coffee/HC and Coconut Crystals!This stuff is just great! and is low glycemic so it has less carbs than the honey I've been using.

Then I had Hot cocoa which was made using 1/4 cup of soaked hazelnuts, 1T cacao,3 cups water, 1/4tsp. cinnamon, 5 medjool dates (pitted), 1 tsp. pure vanilla, 1/8 tsp cayenne, and a pinch of sea salt. Some might prefer to use more cacao. Anyway everything is open "to your own taste" I am pretty sure this is what gave me so much energy which lasted me right through 'til now and it is 8 p.m.! I got a ton of work done today.

Then I had some Chai later when I took a break and actually sat down. This was made with some almond milk, that had been made with soaked almonds, vanilla, and some medjool dates. I added sprinkles of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg to the milk and warmed it. Not sure if I like nutmilks (nutmylks, is how some spell it). These could very well take me out of Ketosis but I had to try them anyway and tomorrow I will be having my coffee with Cashew Cream and coconut crystals.

I had to use the milks and since I am not crazy about hot drinks made with a whole cup of nutmilk, it won't be too hard to stop doing it. I seem to be very long-winded here.

I made a delicious Stroganoff (sp?) from Dana Carpender's "500 Low Carb Recipes". Wow, this was so good, along with some steamed broccoli and the rest of the Broccoli Cranberry Salad I made the other day.
Am happy with the way the day went. Can't wait to see if I am still in Ketosis.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Whatever it takes.....

If I have to stay in Induction until I lose all the excess weight I have put on these past 24 years, then so be it, that is what I am determined to do.
I am switching from a mostly raw diet to low carb Induction this morning and I will only incorporate berries in my green smoothies for a while and only add more fruit to them very cautiously!

I will use the Ketostix again religiously - starting on Saturday night, which is when I should be in Ketosis - again.

I am sick and tired of this struggle. Even though I felt healthier eating mostly fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds and lots of greens, it hasn't been working for me lately. I want to be done with the cravings and I want to be down a dress size in two weeks time simply because I did it once before with Atkins and so I bet I can do it again. If I am tired, then that's tough. Other people have succeeded with Atkins and stick with it and seem to have energy. I will tough it out until I am absolutely 100% convinced that it isn't good for me. Hopefully I will regain my energy with this in a few weeks - I sure hope so. Anyway, I am giving it my all this time.

Dr. Oz had Gary Taubes on his show this week. He tried not to be condescending but I felt that he was anyway and put Gary and low carb in a bad light. His show races through various subjects way too fast and this debate was fruitless. So much was left out of the discussion. It upset me.
I couldn't remember what I'd learned about cholesterol and low carb and as I said, Oz made Gary look bad because he said he didn't know what his numbers were. There is more to it I know - to do with standard testing and the results but I can't remember what I've learned about this. I will have to look it up.

This struggle has worn me out. It is my own fault. I need to give low carb a real sincere effort - like for months not just a couple of weeks. So I will be trying to stick around here a lot more.

I bought myself an iPod Nano! I am trying to get my music all named and hopefully I will learn how to make "playlists" and then put it all on this new "toy" so I can take it to the gym with me a.s.a.p. This will be a huge help. Music makes it so much easier to move.

So hoping that I stop being so blasted indecisive. I need to change my life - and today!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Taubes' Book!

Had been considering buying Gary's book for quite a long time and finally did order it and it just arrived. I have read the reviews for "Fathead" too and may order that.
I'd like to know why I fight lowcarb (Atkins) when I "get" the science behind it and have already read so many positive experiences people have had with it. What is it in me that makes me think that fruit can't harm me? So I always end up see-sawing back and forth from eating only raw food to Atkins?! On a good and positive note though I have managed to lower my blood pressure from dangerously high to "optimal" by sticking very closely to a raw food diet (fruit, veggies, greens, some nuts and seeds). But tonight I felt like I must be losing my mind. Sticking with raw is very very hard and I hate prepping two different kinds of meals - one for my husband and the other for me. At least with lowcarb I only really have to make one meal for the two of us. I so need to find the "truth" about what I have to eat for the rest of my life. (frustrated by naysayers on both sides)
Old 08-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

On again, off again, back now

Hello everyone. Although I've posted a bit here over the last few years - on again-off again lowcarb, I have never read anything on this particular Thread. I wish I had. Personal experience of others is huge for me. I am going to read every single introduction from each member who has posted here. It may take quite a while but I know it's just what I need to go along with what I am now finally reading in my new "Good Calories Bad Calories" book by Gary Taubes. I know low carb works - but I only did it consistently for a few weeks and for some strange reason I have been fighting it and have been trying to stick to eating mostly raw foods i.e. fruits, veggies, greens, nuts and seeds. This has been very difficult, as Fawn warned me it would be. But I did bring my blood pressure down to "optimal". And I've managed to lose some weight.

Preparing meals one way for my husband and another (raw food preparation) for me is just too stressful. With low carb I have so much more to work with and eating will be a pleasure again. I am so tired of my obsession with food - I just want to enjoy it again and I know that fat and protein is satiating and stops cravings. Yesterday I ate a ton of watermelon and afterward I felt very hungry and quite agitated and this morning? - I felt much fatter.

I think that I have finally figured out why I have been fighting lowcarb. It has always been very hard for me to believe that so many "people in the know" can be either so wrong or so dishonest. So I have been reading and reading, and reading for the past 4 some years about what we should be eating for weight loss and improved health. Now I think I am finally at peace with all this.

But I will so appreciate the support I know I am going to find here as I don't consider myself as having "got a grip" yet by any means.

Just a side point - I have always noticed from the "before & after" photos on this site that you all look very healthy and happy and not at all scrawny or emaciated. I found it very unsettling to see that many raw foodists actually willing to share "before & after" photos of themselves were too thin (imho).

So this is some of my story. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by islegirl; 08-04-2011 at 07:15 AM..
Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Blogging my food

Coffee with heavy cream, coconut crystals (which are low glycemic) and a bit of honey.
Fawn's Shake: 3 c. organic field greens, Carlson's CLO with lemon, coconut oil, walnuts, flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, Kefir, yogurt, blueberries and ice.
Tastes rich. Don't have any chlorophyll or aloe vera juice (yet!).
This is a great start.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jool
Stats: 185/165/125 -- 5'0; 58
Start Date: July 2011
Islegirl, it was amazing reading your story. I had tried raw a few years ago, but didn't last very long; it was too hard when one eats out a lot (as I did back then). I agree with you that low carb is a much easier lifestyle, as well as being healthy !

I'm glad you are back here, and yes, it is motivating to read everyone's stories. I hope you'll keep us posted as to your thoughts after reading everyone's introductions, etc. Also, you don't say how much you want to lose or your goals, but be sure to check out all the other threads in these forums. There are several challenges going on right now that are fun, and a fun way to compare notes with others - and everyone is extremely encouraging and motivating, it is not at all like a competition or anything; it just really helps us stay on track. You read successes and letdowns everyday, but all of it is encouraging as we all help one another stay on track.

Thanks for posting!

Jool
Jool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Jool, thanks so much for responding to my "intro". Yes, I have felt so much relief this morning from my decision to do low carb.

Not too sure what my goal weight is. I weigh 154 today and definitely want to get down below 130 - that much I do know. I am 5' 2. And I am 65 years old.

Took a peek at your profile and your photos. Beautiful! You love horses! Me too! Used to look after one when I was all of about 12 years old. Then I was "horse-crazy" until that turned into becoming "guy-crazy" soon after. I used to eat, sleep, dream and draw horses. I think they are one of the most magnificent and graceful animals on the planet.

Yes, I will continue to post, though I am not sure where the best place to post my day-to-day journey is? Would it be in my journal?

What are your goals? I see 110. Neat! Any health issues? Hope not.

Thanks again Jool.

xo
Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jool
Stats: 185/165/125 -- 5'0; 58
Start Date: July 2011
Islegirl, We have similar stats; and I am 57 so I feel older than a lot of the posters around here.

Yes, I think the journal would be a good place to post the day to day, although if you look under the Atkins forum you'll find many sub-forums that would be interesting to you.
While I don't have 100 lbs to lose, (but close) I found I became interested in the Century Club threads, and am posting in there quite a bit. Take a look at all the forums and sub forums and you'll find a jillion that you want to keep up with; I get instant mail messages for some of them so I can see when a post is made. I'm already getting to see familiar faces (so to speak) online here, since I am following a few main threads very closely.

Let me know which forums you find, maybe we will be in some of the same ones.

I *do* love horses. Especially Gypsy Vanners, a smaller draft type version that has a huge double mane and leg feathering, they are just gorgeous - great riding horses.

I do want to lose ultimately about 70 - 75 pounds, with my small build that is where I will feel the most comfortable with my weight/height proportionate. No real health issues, although I had ongoing high blood pressure (not being treated for it) but my last check yesterday showed my blood pressure is in the normal range for the first time in six months. YAY! I am in a bit of a weight stall right now; haven't lost anything in nearly a week, even though I have been very good about the low carb eating. But I lost quickly early on (water weight, but still - its all good!) so am trying to be patient to see that needle on the scale go down a notch or two.

I look forward to seeing more posts from you!

Jool
Jool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Did I miss something here?

It seems these posts from me and Jool are in a new thread. Originally I thought I'd posted this morning in the section for new member introductions. I was particularly happy to be there because it was the first time I can remember reading anything in that Thread and I decided to make it my airm to read each and every introduction in the days ahead.
So I am scratching my head wondering why my posts were moved?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #113
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Ongoing conversations and/or question posts are routinely moved so that the new user introductions don't get lost on that thread
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Ongoing conversations and/or question posts are routinely moved so that the new user introductions don't get lost on that thread
Thanks Dottie. I sure appreciate the explanation. Makes sense.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: primroselane
Stats: 318/239/260/150
Start Date: 1/5/09--- Restart date 8/1/11
Islegirl, Loved your post. Your reasoning on why you have fought lc hit home with me. You do sort of end up feeling like you're being pulled in opposite directions. I lose and my body tells me I'm doing the right thing.... heart burn disappears, joints cry for joy, energy levels skyrocket... all those wonderful things happen when I lc. And then some fancy tv dr. or some overhyped trainer starts preaching how we've got to stay away from fat and restrict what we eat, your dr loves your improving health but hates how you're doing it, and you can't even stand at the check out line to buy groceries without it staring you in the face. That's why I've GOT to come here to be with all the others who can reassure me and encourage me. It was awesome to read your post and know you feel the same way... I'm not crazy after all!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Just adding the rest of my food for the day - next time I'll try to get it all in one post per day. Maybe I will be able to figure out if there is a way to "draft" my posts.

"Fawn's Shake" kept me going right through 'til supper around 5 p.m.
I can't remember having anything else all day.
Supper was baked trout with a salad

Feeling a bit tired and am craving something sweet but this will pass and I am not going to have anything else tonight.

Am trying to drink my water too. (not a big water drinker, so I am trying to "sip" it by keeping a bottle of it on my desk or beside me wherever I am.

I know I said I was going to read every single "Introduction" in the "Welcome Newcomers" Thread, but do you know how many years they go back? It's so long. So what I did was to begin tonight with page 49 - right around January 1, 2011. I am up to page 56 already. So I feel encouraged by your presence here and hopefully, after a while some of you will become more familiar to me as I read more of your posts. Now I am off to read more from "Good Calories Bad Calories". I am going to order his other book about how we got fat (can't remember the name at the moment) as some of those I read about tonight felt it helped them to commit to lowcarb. I love reading about it - never tire of reading of people having success with this woe.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Forgot to add that I did have something else to eat between Fawn's Shake and the Trout supper. I had a BBQ'd chicken breast. Had totally forgotten. It hit the spot.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Blood Test Results

Were excellent! Doc said I am at very low risk for a heart attack. All my numbers were just fine except my cholesterol was up a bit and he explained the good and the bad to me and showed me the numbers but I can't for the life of me remember them. I'll write them down next time as I go back in September for x-ray results from my gimpy knee.
Thyroid is fine, protein fine, iron fine, B vitamins fine, potassium etc. etc. Sugar fine.

Then because I said that I was concerned about how to eat properly and yet still lose weight and keep my blood pressure at "optimal" (it was up today and I know for a fact that was the "white coat syndrome". I was nervous and it went up to 154 over something instead of in the low 120's. Sometimes it's even lower at home.

Here's what he said: "Low Glycemic Diet" and he proceeded to hand me a list of things I should eat and should not! Wow. And he was very trim and healthy looking himself and I told him so. I asked him some questions about fruit and honey and he said "no honey" but on the sheet it says I can have fruit except grapes, bananas and pineapple. So why not honey? Especially if I am still in Ketosis. He explained but was talking so fast and I knew how busy he was that my mind just couldn't keep up or retain it all. The sweet nurse who was with me just before he came in told me she lost 60 lbs on this low glycemic diet and she raved about it. I asked if he'd recommend a book to read. He figured "South Beach" would be a good one.

As I got off the x-ray table the technician told me how tired she was and needed a break. I hadn't had breakfast or lunch and guess what I was thinking about - having a hearty brunch when I got home - so I asked her if she'd had time for lunch yet. She said "no". I told her that I was going to be able to eat meat! Proceeded to tell her about the diet and she perked up immediately and asked if she could please photocopy it. She was very overweight and I so felt for her and you can be sure I was happy to have told her about my appointment upstairs!

So, I still have questions running through my head. I also questioned him about the Raw Food Diet and he simply said what so many others have - that it doesn't provide us with enough amino acids - for animals, yes, but for us, no because we weren't made to digest grass. And that "many have become quite sick from eating a vegetarian diet".

So I will continue to add as much raw greens and raw veggies to my diet but I will also have meat, fish, eggs and chicken and a couple of other things on the list he said are okay. We'll see. I am fairly content at the moment with all this. I was a bit afraid of the blood test results because of my tiredness and my inflamed knee which feels like it is about to twist badly and that hurts! (been there, done that!).

He said plenty more but I can't think of it all at the moment. A very nice guy and he even told someone else there about me "she's very well-educated" - Well that's the problem - I've read so much for the past 4 years that my head is spinning and I do get confused because of conflicting information.
I am plodding along in Gary Taubes' book "Good Calories Bad Calories" (not the easiest book I've read, but I am definitely trying).

My EKG results were also fine.

I had bacon and eggs with a bit of red pepper and onion, low carb ketchup for brunch. And am now sipping on a cup of coffee. He isn't worried about my putting cream in my coffee. I am going to try my best to get used to liquid vanilla stevia as well as the other flavors and try to quit the honey even though it's only a little bit. He said my Ketosis should be "mid-range" but as I said I lost him at that point. But all this was a huge boost for Atkins and other low carb diets, I think. No discussion of reducing fat in my diet! Yay! He firmly believed what he was saying too. So he knew something!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Great low carb day.

Only got about 3 hours of sleep last night so I was dragging a bit. Ketosis has me pretty tired too but I did really well today. I had no doubts about going ahead with this and sticking to it. The only thing that would stop me would be if my health went downhill and if I knew it was a direct result of the diet or if I gained weight which I am almost positive won't happen. And the doctor is on my side! Yay!

Began with coffee with heavy cream, coconut crystals (low glycemic) 2 drops of liquid vanilla stevia - yuk, even this one seems bitter. I thus added a tiny bit of honey.

At about 11 I had a huge "Fawn's Shake" - lots of spinach, 1/2 lemon, a tiny bit of leftover melon, organic ff yogurt, organic ff Kefir, Carlson's Lemon cod liver oil, 1 T. coconut oil, 2T ea. ground up sunflower and pumpkin seeds, 2T. walnuts, 1 pkg Truvia, 1 tsp. flax oil and I think that was about all.

I messaged LCF to ask if there is some way I can make a "draft" journal each day because I easily forget all I've eaten by nighttime. No response as yet though.

Snack: A few pistachios - not many.

And I also had a mug of Carnation Hot Chocolate made with Splenda to which I added heavy cream and some coconut oil. Pretty good!

Around 3 p.m. I had some "Devilled Eggs" and they were pretty good considering I hadn't made them for years. My husband ate some of them too and liked them. I will try a different way of doing them next time. I want to experiment. I am so excited to be doing this seriously. It's going to be fun trying low carb recipes and I have lots of them that I printed out from this site a couple of years ago and I have some good books.

Supper was my same old boring Greek Salad which I am sick of. I really have to find a new dressing for it. Something is sure missing in mine.

Now I am having another One Minute Muffin with butter and cream cheese and made with flax seeds and brown unhulled sesame seeds.

I remembered to have 1 tsp. of acv (with the Mother) with my supper. I am supposed to have two. Doing this and drinking my water are two things I will have to try harder to remember.

All in all it was a great day. In between all this I didn't do too much as I am pretty light headed. Cleaned our coffee maker with vinegar and did laundry and read Gary Taubes book some more. I find I read lots of it several times before I can make sense of it. I won't retain it but I am doing my best to do this. If I can read through the Bible several times, then I can get through this too.

Would have made a big green juice but just didn't have any more energy today. Can't wait for that burst of energy people talk about that comes after the Induction Flu is over. I know all about the nuts not being allowed but I also know for the most part what takes me out of Ketosis. I am being careful.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Another successful day.......

Slept through night from 11 p.m. 'til 6 a.m. - much better than the night before.
Started day off with coffee, heavy cream, coconut crystals (low glycemic) and a bit of honey. Read more of Gary Taubes book. Though I am only able to "crawl" through it I am enjoying it.

Skipped breakfast as I had to go out for the morning.
Compared notes with a friend whose doctor also wants her on low carb. He is a Naturopath and believes sugar causes inflammation which she has plenty of. She was on Atkins once before and lost 47 lbs but had tons of grief and stress in her life and was already not feeling well enough to cope and succumbed to her old habits. I so could identify with her. I have just begun to get a bit of a better grip this year - stopping the binges before they go too far. Not an easy feat for a carb addict who is an emotional eater.

Lunch: leftover Greek salad to which I added 1/2 small tin of salmon and a bit more Greek dressing and some little tomatoes from our garden. Yum! Then I had a One Minute Muffin with pumpkin pie spice in it with half the cinnamon called for in the recipe and topped it with butter and cream cheese.

Not long after I had some pistachios - not many.

Then I went to the store, came back with a Horton's coffee. Yum!

Supper was Dana Carpender's "Hamburger Stroganoff" which is so delicious along with some broccoli.

I have been pretty hungry all day and tonight even after supper I wanted some sort of dessert. I am craving sugar still although in Ketosis. So I made up a concoction of cream cheese, sour cream, cacao, splenda and frozen raspberries. Tastes good and I am about to go enjoy it.

Felt pretty cheery all day in spite of worries about family and in spite of my knee acting up again this afternoon. Not sure if I want the x-rays to show something up or not? Sounds crazy! But it hurts and slows me down.

Life is good and I am glad I am doing this. I also picked greens from my garden and washed them - readying them for tomorrow's green juice in the morning. I didn't take the time to do that today - have a smoothie or a juice I mean. But I did have lots of flax seed and remembered to have the acv. Again forgot to drink water. Got to do better with that!

Spoke to a friend who has picked up clothes from me before to take to a group of refugees in Toronto and he is quite happy to take more off my hands. I am so happy about that. I am shrinking and these are fine clothes and I love that someone else can use them.

That's about it for today.