Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
Haven't been here for a while. I have been fasting on water and I am doing very well. My weight was back up to 173 lbs and now it is 158. Not bad. I know that once I begin eating again, I may add a few pounds. Not worried though as I don't think I will. I am pretty sure that what I have to do to continue to lose weight is to stay in Ketosis which means I have to continue to combine raw food with low carb. I need the greens, some veggies and fruit in my diet and I need the meat, fish or chicken, and eggs (I think) to keep my appetite at bay. Still not sure. But, one thing I do know, I will never ever let my weight climb again - never. Tomorrow I am beginning the "Master Cleanse" again for a while. It will be an absolute breeze after having nothing but water.
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Fasting sets me up for cravings.....

Had enough of fasting and RAW food alone. I have to follow low carb and incorporate as much raw as I can. So here I am again. Back later to list my meals....:blush

Okay, it is 1:30 p.m. and I just polished off a big plate of bacon and scrambled eggs with onions, peppers and mushrooms. Mmm. This was so good. Now I am off for a long awaited cup of coffee with double cream and some honey.

All I had yesterday all day was water, so I fully expect to be in Ketosis still. I'll keep posting.

Last edited by islegirl; 07-28-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #63
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by islesgirl View Post
Had enough of fasting and RAW food alone. I have to follow low carb and incorporate as much raw as I can.
Congrats on figuring out some things that you can and can't do! I think that's why a lot of people don't succeed; they don't figure out what they can/can't do.
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcwendy View Post
Glad to hear your update. Like I said the other day, I think that it's essential to find what works for you. I don't think that what you do needs to be what I do, so please know that as long as I check in here, I'll encourage you in doing what makes you healthy!
Thanks wendy, and I wish you all the best in your efforts to be healthy too.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Blogging my food again......

So busy at the moment. Spending too much time on the computer isn't a great idea right now. I need the time to be more organized around my home - planning meals etc.

Early a.m. - coffee/heavy cream/raw honey

Lunch - Green Smoothie with fresh pineapple, juice of 3 oranges, small handful of raw cashews, baby spinach.

Supper - bacon & eggs with shrooms, red pepper, bit of onion, (sauteed in butter) and some salsa.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Better day than yesterday......

I went off LC yesterday. I think I let myself get too hungry and too tired.

Early morning: Coffee C/raw honey

Brunch: bacon, scrambled eggs with butter- sauteed red pepper, onion and shrooms and a bit of fresh rosemary. Yum.

Mid-afternoon: Another coffee

Supper: Delicious oriental salad and a "salmon, cheese, tomato melt". Mmm, good!

It was such a relief to be eating tasty things again and to feel satisfied. I think Fawn is right about the Raw Food Diet not being sustainable. Some manage to do it. It isn't for me at this time. I am more concerned about losing the excess weight now and the only way I see that I will ever be able to do that is by sticking to Atkins until every single extra pound is gone forever. But I am going to incorporate as much in the way of veggies and fruit I can get away with and yet still be in Ketosis.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Likely too many carbs today.....

But I still had a great day. I am sleeping at night now - finally. I try counting backwards by 3's from 300. I picked this idea up from the Dr. Oz show a few weeks ago and, because it is so hard for me to focus on anything mathematical, it makes my brain feel like it is about to explode from having to focus so hard, and so seems to be working and I simply fall asleep. Yay

Food for the day:

Coffee with cream and raw honey

Lunch: Green Smoothie: recipe was from a list from here at LCF
In it I put a huge bunch of romaine, 2 bananas, 1 cup
strawberries and some water. This made 2 big glasses.

Supper: Oriental salad, from last night. Scrambled eggs with sauteed in butter- onion, shrooms and red pepper, topped with some salsa and some bacon.

Then I deliberately tasted some apple crisp I made for my husband to reward him for planting my herbs in pots to grow in the kitchen. I just had 2 bites but it will likely keep me out of Ketosis until tomorrow night. I know I have to watch the "taste-testing".:blush: My excuse is that I am trying to get an apple crisp just like the one I used to make for my family when I was only 16. It was to die for. No one has the recipe and this one today was still not nearly as good.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Just 2 days and I'm in Ketosis!

I'm really going to try so hard this time to keep a good record of what I eat as I keep my food as low carb as I can. Today was day 2 and I still managed to get into Ketosis in spite of having honey, 2 bananas and that bit of apple crisp along with the other things. I didn't think I'd get there until tomorrow night - but it's here already. Yippee, yippee!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Stumbled....again!

It's been ages since I've been here. I think I am just about at bottom. I must weigh in at my highest weight. I don't dare get on the scales. I feel awful. I am so eager to see how I feel in two weeks after Induction.

I got my copy of "The NewAtkins For A New You". I have just started reading it. I KNOW this is the only way I will ever lose weight and lower my blood pressure. Why on earth do I always fight it?! It is so easy to feel full on Atkins, so why do I get off track? Maybe it's because I am usually so exhausted while in Induction - maybe it's what people here call "flu". If I eat more fat, maybe that will help. I can truly say that I have never lasted very long - maybe not much more than 2 wks? (not sure) on Atkins. Now that is quite an admission and shows that I have never given it a fair chance.

I gave away all my low-carb books when I started feeling so great while eating only RAW food. How dumb was that! Now I have to start all over. But I will use lots of the recipes here on this forum. I also have many of them printed out and in an organized recipe folder, so that will sure help.
So I am off to buy some groceries this morning.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

So far, so good. Coffee - heavy cream and honey (twice today)

A big lettuce, tomato and cuke salad with lots of tuna and some Greek Salad Dressing (sounds odd, I know)

Had an extremely hectic day and I was so ready for this salad. I was also very thankful that my husband had made it ahead.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Feeling better today....

A couple of things have helped me feel better about doing Atkins again.
I picked up an Atkins book at the Thrift store this week. It has some great sounding recipes in it. And my new Atkins book came in the mail. It's the one there is another thread about on this site. I am reading it slowly.

Then I decided to buy an instant coffee drink from General Foods. It's the "French Vanilla" and 3 tsp of the powder has 2 carbs. So I make a small mug of it. It was also great to take with me yesterday to Tim Horton's where I simply paid for a small cup of hot water, 2 heavy creams and a spoon. Then I mixed my own drink. Yippee! I think I can get away from having way too much coffee now! Coffee makes me too hungry, makes me pee way too much, and tires me out in the long run.

And today I found a post about frying chicken on the top of the stove with the lid on - yet it turns out crispy - just what I need because I have no over-head stove fan and live in a basement apartment with tiny windows.

Back later to post some of my food.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Pinched nerve

Somehow (maybe brushing my hair) I pinched a nerve in my neck and it has kept me just about flat on my back since yesterday a.m. Talk about painful. So I have been reading and reading - mostly from my new Atkins' book. And I am in Induction and in Ketosis.

Food has been (what I can remember of it) like this:

bacon & eggs with a tiny bit of mushrooms, green pepper and onion, butter and LC ketchup.

salads with tuna or salmon and Greek Dressing and some olives

pork chop and broccoli

"Oriental Salad" made with Splenda. This is so delish. I will share it some day when I get some time (if I haven't already).

oktoberfest sausage baked with sauerkraut, with mustard on the side. YUM!

cheddar cheese

celery with cream cheese

1-2 small coffees with heavy cream and a bit of honey each day.

No fruit. (yet).

This time I am a lot more determined to do Atkins. I am the kind of person who has to read, read and re-read as much as I can get my hands on about how this works and how others have succeeded with it. That is what I am doing. Already the cravings for junk have all but gone. Phew!
Old 03-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Doing well....

My neck is pretty well better. I needed the rest it forced me to take anyway. Haha! Am reading my Atkins' books.

Food for today:

coffee/heavy cream/raw honey

1 broiled salmon, cheddar-topped tomato

husband's packaged fish minus the batter
and more yummy Oriental Salad

2 stalks celery with just a bit of peanut butter in them

during the day I also had 2 General Foods French Vanilla to which I added some heavy cream. This is a low-carb hot coffee beverage

1 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds[/B]

Am in deep Ketosis.

Last edited by islegirl; 03-13-2010 at 06:29 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

More food.....

Breakfast was: Smoothie of 1/2 cup raspberries, 1 celery, 1 cuke, 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds, 1/2 c. almond dream

Lunch was:
rest of Oriental Salad
Scrambled eggs and bacon

Mug of General Foods low carb French Vanilla

Going to a party tonight. It's a buffet. I am looking forward to making very careful choices!

Last edited by islegirl; 03-14-2010 at 12:49 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Yay...good choices at buffet dinner

Had a marvelous time - talking - making new friends or rather better friends of ones I didn't know very well.

So my mind wasn't on the food too much. And there appeared to be some pretty delicious looking offerings there. I really didn't look. I made a conscious effort to simply look over what was very likely pretty low carb. I had 2 kinds of salad - seconds of the Caesar (took off the croutons) and then I picked some sausage and sauerkraut and some baked ham which was in some kind of clear broth. It seemed fine. Oh yes, one of the salads had olives so I had several of them. I passed on the "devilled eggs" which I wanted but I asked about them and they were made with Miracle Whip - i.e. -sugar. And I drank water. Am content tonight and can't wait until I check for ketones in about an hour.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Feeling more energetic

Each morning since re-starting Atkins I have been pretty draggy. Same with this morning, but it didn't last. I had a fabulous day out and about. And I was still in Ketosis last night. Yay!

Food today:

This morning I did something suggested by a friend. I had my usual cup of coffee/heavy cream/honey but a bit later I had a 2nd cup but this time with just cream.Then along with this I had a smoothie with broccoli flowers, blueberries, 2 Tbsp flax seeds, stevia and water. And I'd take a sip of each - the bitter with the sweeter - and it worked! It made each drink enjoyable! I know this sounds crazy, but I am going to do it again tomorrow and see how it goes. This way, I can get some coffee into me without the honey and still get to enjoy the coffee and get a healthy green smoothie at the same time!

Had a delicious lunch (late) with romaine, cuke, grape tomatoes, red onion, dill pickle, red and yellow peppers, and some hot peppers, sunflower seeds, and some chunks of cheddar with a yummy Caesar dressing.Mmm, this was so good!

Now I am having my last meal of the day. Scrambled eggs and sausage and a bit of lc ketchup.

Last edited by islegirl; 03-15-2010 at 05:11 PM..
Old 03-16-2010, 04:26 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Was in Deep Ketosis....

last night, so I am doing well. I really did feel great yesterday. I went to bed at 10:30 and slept 'til 3a.m. Then lay there until 4a.m. Got up, washed my hair and read a lot. So I am ahead of the game but of course I'd have preferred to have been able to get back to sleep.

I am having some dizziness and wonder if that is normal when in Ketosis. I think I read somewhere that I should increase my salt to fix the problem. Not sure. I should look that up.

Just had to write down what I started my day off with:

smoothie: 2 apples, 2 celery, bunch spinach, 2 Tbsp. hemp seeds, 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, 1 cup water, 1/2 a lemon with a tiny bit of the rind, 1Tbsp. pumpkin seeds.
This is yummy!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Feeling very bloated & fat....

Since I've been up since 3 a.m. I am exhausted. I tried on some skirts today and looked as fat as ever. It is so discouraging. And I am constipated and can't figure out why my body does this. So today, my thoughts began to waver. This isn't good. This is the kind of thinking that can lead me back to another kind of diet - the raw diet. I felt fabulous on it, but it is so much harder to sustain if you want variety. And the weight loss is about the same pace. And I know that I'm usually not in Ketosis which worries me. Sigh.

Anyway, the food for the rest of the day was:

A huge salad with plenty of good stuff in it. Also a General Foods low carb French Vanilla (coffee drink) and a coffee/heavy cream at mid-morning with - eek - sugar! Only excuse I have is that I was in Tim Horton's and just didn't want a bitter coffee. Am so tired today. I walked a lot today too, and fast so my legs are feeling it and will be worse tomorrow. Can't wait to see if I am still in Ketosis tonight. I was this afternoon. Yippee!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Still exhausted.....so......

I had coffee to begin the day with cream/raw honey.

Then after I got quite a bit of cooking done for husband, I had a delicious fresh bowl of oriental salad with some fresh made up salmon salad.

Still tired - so a bit later I made a smoothie of almond dream, 2 bananas -eeek! - 2 stevia and cacao (1Tbsp) and some frozen organic cuke. This was so yummy!

And I was still in deep Ketosis last night!

Last edited by islegirl; 03-17-2010 at 11:17 AM..
Old 03-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Incorporating more fruits, veggies....

and yet I am still in Ketosis.
The smoothie I had yesterday perked me up and I lasted until about 8 o'clock last night when I got home and made my supper.

I grilled 2 hamburgers made with cream and some diced tomato. And I had some more Oriental Salad. I also had a taste of the ribs and they are delicious. And at 10p.m. I found I was still in deep Ketosis. I also slept quite well without any pills. And I only had 1 coffee yesterday. I walked quite a bit.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Had a fabulous day......

I had energy all day! I am pretty sure it was the smoothie I had with: kale, raspberries, 2 bananas (eek!), 2 pkgs stevia, and almond dream (low carb drink). This was very tasty. I forgot to mention that I started the day with my usual coffee/heavy cream/raw honey. Later in the afternoon I had some dehydrated trail mix which I'd made myself. I just had a few handfuls. (nuts, seeds, raisins, maybe some coconut - plain, no salt. Very tasty. I also had a General Foods coffee beverage - French Vanilla mid-afternoon. This was low carb.

Tonight around 8:30 I had leftovers from last night.

I am still in deep Ketosis. I walked a lot today also! Mood was 'way up there too!

Last edited by islegirl; 03-18-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 03-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Still on track....

Tomorrow is my date with the scales - weighed myself a week ago.

Food and drink today:

coffee/cream/raw honey

smoothie: 3 celery, 1 apple, 1 stevia, 1T ground flax seeds, 1/2 cuke, water

another coffee

supper: more Dana Carpender ribs, more Oriental Salad.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Losing fat, gaining muscle....

Am down a pound and I know I'd have likely lost more if I hadn't had so much erercise this week. My clothes are looser and I look a bit different. I didn't take my measurements because, for me, I find it difficult to get them accurate with a tape measure - any tips on doing this right?

So I know that muscle weighs more than fat and that is my comfort. I had a fabulous morning - out walking again with my friends.

Last night I was still in deep Ketosis.

2 coffees/cream/honey

smoothie: cacao, stevia, 1 banana, 1T ea sesame seeds, hemp seeds, almond dream (vanilla/lowcarb).

ribs and more Oriental salad.
Time to change my menu eh? But it has been very tasty and there was lots of it. Tonight I will pick something else, but so far, I don't know what it will be.

I am still not sleeping well enough at all - I am convinced it is the heavy food - harder to digest and making for a more restless, warm night. That is why I am trying to incorporate more raw as I go on. But I am content.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

changing things up a bit....

Mainly, I absolutely quit coffee today. No ifs, ands or buts. I quit. I have had enough of the struggle in my head about it. I have known for years and years that it makes it harder for me to lose weight while I drink it. It also makes me nervous, have poor sleeps, and I am pretty sure it affects my moods. Definitely, in the long run, as the day wears on, it saps my energy. So I am done with this habit.

So I had a delicious smoothie: raw cashews, cacao, ice, vanilla, banana and the juice of one orange.

Next [B]Smoothie: 1/2 cuke, celery, ground flax seed, 1/2 lemon, 1 orange.

Then a [B]snack: bowl of strawberries, with some of the stems, 1T hemp seeds and a drizzle of agave (because the strawberries were pretty tart!)

Supper: sauerkraut, oktoberfest sausage (with mustard) and some broccoli.

Have brushed my teeth. So I am done eating for the day.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Don't believe anything I say....ever!

when it comes to saying "I'm quitting coffee"!

I didn't.
And I am still trying low carb - though incorporating fruit and veggies - but not so many that I get out of Ketosis. I just hope that it was all the walking I did the past two weeks that kept my weight from coming down much.

This morning: 1/2 coffee, 1/2 Teeccino (yuk! I won't have this again!) cream/honey.

Smoothie with: banana, juice of 2 oranges, 1T coconut oil, 1T cacao, vanilla, ice.

Last edited by islegirl; 03-27-2010 at 06:01 AM..
Old 04-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Going back to RAW

I've been experimenting with the raw food diet for 3 years and have decided it is what makes me feel best. I have to do some tweaking to figure out how to get the most out of it for my body. I am learning how to avoid creating a lot of gas from improper combinations of things. And I am going to figure out how to lose weight doing this too.

Next time I post here, I'll go to the "Other Plans" section where the rawbies are.

Last edited by islegirl; 04-02-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Old 04-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Well that didn't last long - I was doing 80-10-10 - way too much fruit I guess as I have quite an itchy rash on my arm. I am using coconut oil on it and it has already stopped the itching. And here I am - back doing Atkins. This time though I won't be having much fruit for a while and then when I do have it, I will watch myself very carefully - I hope. I have given up on raw for now. It is just too hard to plan ahead for it and then plan and cook my husband's meals at the same time. Besides, I've never really lasted longer than 2 weeks on Atkins. It's high time I gave it an honest effort and stuck with it. I can still have some green drinks and some green smoothies. I even packed up all my beautiful raw "uncook" books away in a big box.

I haven't weighed myself for a couple of days, but last time I did I weighed 165.

I did, for the first time, take my measurements this morning though.

Talk about discouraged. I was so enjoying reading Dr. Douglas Graham's book - 80-10-10 and I wanted it to work!!! But I am thinking that I could be causing Candida to flare up. Not sure, but there is so much controversy over fruit with fat, fruit without fat, and no fruit at all. Who to believe?!!! I have to listen to my body. I'm trying.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Still trying.....

My weight is going down. One of my short-term goals is to be in the 140's by June 11th. I know I can do this.

As for what I'll be eating - still not too sure which is the best for me. Nonetheless, I am eating healthy food.

My blood pressure is a real worry at the moment and I am going to the doctor this week to see whether or not I have to have meds.

It was 161/89 (the 89 was supposed to be in the normal range, but the other is way high)

I walked this morning and I feel great. But a good friend of ours who was in great shape (or so it appeared) had a stroke a few years ago because he wouldn't take his bp meds and high blood pressure ran in his family. I really don't know too much about these things. My mother, age 84, who weighs around 100lbs, has been taking bp meds for years. I just pray I won't have a stroke! Gosh, I have to pay off my car first!

Here is what I've had so far this morning:

Green Smoothie: blueberries, 1 banana, spinach, cucumber, stevia, 1 cup water, 1/2 a lemon with a bit of the rind.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Forgot to mention.....

that I quite coffee on the 10th and am sleeping right through almost every night now. Loving it!

And I have been fasting using the Master Cleanse since then also and thus my weight is down to 157 or less. I haven't weighed myself in a couple of days. I was hoping this cleanse and doing without coffee would have brought my pressure down. But I guess it takes more time.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Better add the rest of the day's food.

Lunch: Juice: kale, carrot, celery, apple

Snack: 2T pumpkin seeds

Supper: A huge salad with: broccoli, peppers, cuke, radish, onion, dill pickle, romaine, iceberg, tomatoes and homemade Caesar salad. Also had some stir-fried beef mixed with butter, cream, peppers, shrooms and onions. Yum. But I was so full.

I am in deep Ketosis. Yay. I've been in Ketosis for a long time - the better part of 13 days, I think.

Guess what! Eating Raw food stole my tan! It's absolutely true (in my case anyway - that if you eat mostly raw living food, you won't get a sunburn - well I can't even get a tan! Not so sure I like that. I've been purposely sitting in the sun all week because I haven't had a tan for years. I never took time for myself - just to lie out in the sun for a time-out. Now that I am able to do it - no tan?!