Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
On track all day.......

a.m. coffee c/s + splenda - didn't taste right.

3 slices summer sausage with some small slices of cheddar + a dill pickle slice all rolled up.

mid-morning - a Tim Horton's "Breakfast Sandwich" with bacon, but I didn't eat the biscuit or whatever you call it, so basically it was a bit of bacon with an egg.

Lunch - nothing, I think. I can't remember

Around 3:30 - mug of green tea c/s + splenda - no, don't like splenda!

Supper - "Beef Cabbage Casserole" from this site.
It was quite good although I liked it better, I think, before I added all that L.C Ketchup. Next time I will think of something else for the sauce. We also had a good salad with Boston lettuce, romaine, iceberg, tomatoes, onion, and cuke and Mighty Caesar Dressing.

Now it is 10p.m. and I just polished off a "1 minute Muffin". So easy and very good! I swear, this is the only muffin I've ever made that has risen so high!

Was pretty tired all day and of course my mood is in my boots as I am coming down from my sugar binge. But I tell myself it will pass.
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Frustrating isn't it!?

Wendy, thanks so much for your encouraging comments. I'm sure you are dead on about the carbs being too many with the smoothies. There have been times when I could get away with quite a bit in them but I can get carried away and it is always because "they aren't sweet enough" and so I add things I shouldn't. This is such a struggle but we will keep trying. I started to read your Journal and I sure feel for you - you have it even harder than me. You do know though, don't you, that milk is out for us, but that you could use full fat cream? Maybe that was one of the things you aren't even touching now though - sorry, my short-term memory is so bad.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Version of Atkins......

Sorry, Wendy, I forgot to answer all your questions. I have many of Atkins' books - probably just about all of them. So I looked up the 1972 version and yes, I have it too and I will look at it again. I am doing fairly well. All I have had today is a large smoothie with some pineapple and about 1/4 of a cucumber (skin and all) and some frozen baby spinach. NO COFFEE today! Yippee!

Wow! Losing about .5 of a pound per day sounds pretty good.

I'm going to re-read my journal to see how much fruit I was able to get away with and still stay in Ketosis. (when I have some time).

Have a good day!
Old 11-10-2008, 05:17 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Got your '72 Atkins book yet?

Shall I call you "Wendy"? I have been re-reading that book this morning and am so encouraged by it. I was wondering what you use to sweeten your tea and coffee, if anything? I was reading in his '72 book about "cyclamates" and so wish I could find some. They sound good and I don't like any artificial sweeteners I've tried - not Splenda, Stevia or any of them! Hope you don't have a cold coming on and that you have a great day!

Sue.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Heart palpitations & anxiety

This must be part of the craving for carbs. I am much like an alcoholic I guess. I need something to calm me down. I am worried about the heart palpitations and am wondering how much damage I've done to myself. I am also wondering about this stupid high blood pressure pill I've been put on - what is it doing to me? My next app't with the doc isn't for a couple of weeks and I don't like going to any doctor anymore - although he did admit that South Beach is a "heart-healthy" diet. I am on Atkins though - for me, the best low carb. I see my face changing for the worse since I stopped eating all that fruit and veggies and stopped my greens. I have to get back to the greens anyway. I am a mess tonight. My heart is again in my boots and I know this must be the "sugar blues". I hate this feeling. All I can think about is my coffee tomorrow morning or something yummy tonight. When will I feel calm again - how long will this process take? I must remember that the next few months will come and go and I can be different within 6 months - or not. I must be different within 6 months.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #36
Amish Wit

Gallery: wcwendy
Stats: 214.5/155/138
WOE: Whole 30
Start Date: Atkins 10-08;'72 10-09 204-178; Whole 30 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by islesgirl View Post
I must remember that the next few months will come and go and I can be different within 6 months - or not.
That's a good thing to remember!

I have read one person say that she gets heart palpitations from eating too many carbs. Also, post #40 in this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/he...l#post11101694

says that they can be a sign of low potassium. I haven't researched that, so I don't know anything about it. I'm assuming that, since you have medicine, you have had this problem for a while and it's not new? Has it only happened while dieting? If I remember corrrectly, potassium is one of the things that gets low for people on Atkins if they don't take some.

Since you're concerned about the medicine, have you thought about seeing a (reputable) naturopath to see if there is a different way, one with which you feel comfortable, to deal with it?

Gluten, dairy, & chicken egg free
wcwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Scales went DOWN!! Yay!

I think that is something to be happy about - they could have gone the other way - not only that, you must be in Ketosis, as it showed "trace" amounts and your appetite has gone.

I just want you to know that I am thankful for the information about the "Sucaryl". I ordered a bottle of it this morning. I so hope that I will like it in my coffee. Atkins said in his '72 book that it is good stuff. Hope your day is going well.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jen_222
Stats: 150ish/130ish
WOE: M/E + greens
Start Date: Nov. 2008
Looks like you're doing well!!!
Jen_222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Good girl wendy. I know Low Carb cuts cravings. You will do this! BTW - I did a bit of homeschooling with my children too - once upon a time. They did super well too when they had to go back into the system. I bet "cooking" is part of what you teach them. Do you live on a farm? (your Avatar makes me think that)

Sue.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Mmm, wendy, that sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing it with us. Hope you have a fine day. And it is just great that you went for a walk.

Sue.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

wendy, congrats on your continued downward spiral! That supper sounds absolutely delicious!! I have never learned to cook "to taste". I always have to have recipes with specific amounts. Tonight, we are having a chicken stir-fry which my daughter taught me how to make.

I have been quite sick since yesterday and I am sure that the papaya I ate was the culprit. I haven't had so much pain in my stomach for 28 years - the last time I actually had stomach flu. I thought for sure that I was going to get sick last night. But no, it was just this terrible pain that kept coming in waves. My food from yesterday is still "stuck" in my stomach - I can tell. Nothing is moving. The pain is almost gone though. I have decided that I will never, ever eat papaya again. It was just too hard on me. I have also decided to stick to Atkins. I was awake a lot last night and did a lot of thinking. Strawberries will also hurt my stomach too and they are on the BHD. Sometimes pineapple hurts also and the thought of having pineapple today instead of the papaya is just too much to deal with. I have had enough of this roller coaster and want to eat the way you do. I am going to be patient with the weight loss and simply try to incorporate greens and berries slowly and stay in Ketosis, once I get there in about 2 days. I have said before on this forum that I would do it this way - but I guess I just had to learn the hard way. I never want to have that much pain in my stomach again. I love reading your posts, wendy, and so keep them coming. Have a great day - I will post my weight later.

Sue.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Back doing Atkins......

After spending a horrible night with a lot of miserable pain in my stomach (having eaten some pretty powerful fruit for two days) I made the decision to stop being so impatient about losing this weight and to just settle down and eat Low Carb. As time goes on I will try to get back to Green Smoothies but only as long as they don't hinder my weight loss or put me out of Ketosis. I felt pretty miserable all day as if run over by a truck. Finally my tummy is working again and bowels are moving fast . It's a relief as it felt as though the fruit I'd eaten was "stuck" in my stomach all night causing terrible gas and some other awful kind of pain and then it was still stuck there most of the day until I had supper tonight - my first meal of the day. I am feeling better now. Had some scary heart palpitations as I ate supper though. Hope they go away as the days on Low Carb go by.

Supper: A delicious chicken stir-fry
Salad of cuke, tomatoes, red cabbage, romaine & iceberg lettuce, green pepper, celery - all with Renees Mighty Caesar Dressing. It was yummy.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I just finished up my day with a fabulous "1 Minute Muffin" which is one of the smartest ideas for Low Carbing I've seen. So fast - so easy! These muffins taste so good and rise up beautifully. I was wondering why on earth places like "Tim Horton's" haven't caught on to things like these. Whoever came up with this recipe - couldn't you "sell" it to "Tim Horton's" for us Low Carbies?
I have also found a recipe on this forum for a waffle-type bread that most of you are making with your waffle irons that you can use for hamburgers etc. etc. etc.! Sounds so great! Okay, I just looked it up again - sherrielee's Best Burger Bun!

Sue.

Last edited by islegirl; 11-19-2008 at 06:55 PM..
Old 11-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Yes, hopefully wendy, we are learning what our bodies will handle well and what they won't. Sometimes it's so hard to figure out. You are likely right about the tea as dried fruit is loaded with concentrated sugar. How do you react to salt?

I'm down another 2 lbs. today. Yippee. Now I'm 162 - just 3 lbs from the 150's. See what a number this does on me though as now I am tempted to go back to the fruit diet as I was reading about another one last night called "The Fruit Diet" by Jay Robb. But whatever I do I am going to try so hard to not go back to refined carbs and starches. Anyhow for now, I'm about to have scrambled eggs and bacon. If that time is right you are a night owl like me sometimes wide awake in the wee hours. I don't like those nights when I can't sleep when I just can't turn my brain off. Last night I managed to sleep without any pills - usually I take 2 Tylenol 1's and they knock me out. And I was wide awake today at 5a.m. Go figure! So I got up and got a headstart on my day. Hope yours is a fine day!

Sue.

Last edited by islegirl; 11-20-2008 at 05:30 AM..
Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Whoo Hoo! Your weight is down again eh wendy?
I wasn't clear about my interest in fruit - actually I can get along without much of it as so much of it doesn't taste great anyway unless it is fresh and probably organic which I can't afford. The pull it has for me is in the fact that when I eat it alone (I also eat a single kind of fruit at a time) early in the day, or better yet, all day, I seem to lose weight much faster. But it always leaves me hungrier sooner. It does have so many benefits though. My skin all over is firmer - no word of a lie. So as soon as I am in Ketosis (hopefully tomorrow night) I want to have some Green Smoothies with some fruit and I will post what I can get away with. But yes, that particular papaya was really hard on my system. I LOVE chocolate - just love it. It definitely gives me a boost but I can't control my craving for its sweetness and binge away. I am just like an alcoholic and can't have one single bit if I want to maintain control. And after a binge, I suffer terribly from sugar blues as my mood plummets. It's not worth it. As for water, I have to force myself. So now I set the stove timer for every 1/2 hour during the a.m. -and early p.m. to try to get around 8 glasses down. I can't drink it later in the day - keeps me running! and I mean it! Maybe I'll be back tonight but must run for now as I've got lots of work ahead of me today.

Sue.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

It's been a very long, but fine day.....

as I've been up since 5 a.m. I had a very busy day. Got lots accomplished and just now remembered though that I forgot to wash the kitchen floor. Oops! I had a group of people here tonight too so I hope that they didn't step on any sticky spots! We don't usually spill much though. Anway I stuck to Atkins faithfully today.

I had 2 coffees today (I tried half decaf/half caffeinated) and had cream/honey in both. I've been able to get into dark purple Ketosis before while sneaking in the honey. I should know tomorrow about the Ketosis.

I had scrambled eggs for breakfast with sauteed mushrooms, onions and peppers (just a bit of each) and bacon. This was so delicious. It seems that since I had that horrible papaya, my taste buds are really appreciating the Low Carb fatty food. There is so much rich flavor in it. So satisfying.

For lunch I had a couple of mouthfuls of the chicken stir-fry we had last night and then for supper tonight I had another good salad like last night's along with a Low Carb Chicken dish I had frozen. I can't remember what it was called.

Tonight I had another "1 Minute Muffin" with butter and cream cheese.

Was down another 2 lbs this morning and weighed 162

Am too tired to type another thing! Night all.

Sue.

Last edited by islegirl; 11-20-2008 at 07:25 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 05:54 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Mmm. Don't you just love smorgasbords?! Are they the same as "Buffets"? That's what I think of when you say smorgasbords.
You picked a healthy Low Carb supper anyway but I'd have been disappointed having waited all day and not being able to have what I was so looking forward to eating. I remember a very special "lunch" in Florida in 1975 with my first husband, 9 year old son and another family of four. We took them to the "Sweden House" and ate, ate and ate for hours while we talked. It was such a delicious meal and they actually had to ask us to leave as they had to start preparing for the dinner menu. It cost us all of $15! I don't believe that restaurant exists today.

I am in Ketosis today and feel pretty tired. Hope my energy picks up.

Sue.

Last edited by islegirl; 11-21-2008 at 05:57 AM..
Old 11-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

In Deep Ketosis.......

And yet look what I was able to eat today!

a.m. 1 coffee (half caffeinated/half decaf) 18% cream/heaping tsp. honey

Around noon or so: Green Smoothie: Big handful baby spinach, 1/2 an english cuke, about 1 cup water, 1 cup ice, 1 packet of Lemon/Lime Crystal Lite (the size that you mix with 2c water. This tasted just fine.

Bacon and scrambled eggs with chopped onion, mushrooms, peppers and lots of butter - delicious!

A regular coffee with 18% cream and heap. tsp honey.

Supper: The rest of last night's "Diet Rite Cola Chicken" with a big helping of salad with cuke, tomatoes, red cabbage, celery, peppers, romaine and iceberg and a few Kalamata olives topped with Renees Mighty Caesar Dressing.

Before bed: 1 Minute Muffin with butter & cream cheese.

I have to say that I was really dragging myself all day. I have not felt quite right since I had that papaya a few days ago. I have been fighting the blues and felt really weak and not comfortable in my chest - as if something is going on in there. But I certainly feel lighter and smaller and look it too. I didn't weigh myself today as I am constipated which is also odd. Just not like me to have this problem with the kind of food I have been eating (lots of fat, flax and raw veggies and as much water as I remember to drink.) I may weigh myself tomorrow. Off to bed.

Sue.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #49
Amish Wit

I hope that you are better soon!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

I stuck to Atkins in spite of not feeling well. Here is what I had today.

Over the course of the day I had 3 (yikes!) cups of coffee C/honey!

Lunch: more salad from yesterday with tuna (this was a late lunch) and Caesar dressing.

Supper: Baked salmon with some tartar sauce and buttered broccoli.

Now I may go to have a "1 minute muffin" if I am still in Ketosis.

Sue.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #51
Amish Wit

Hi, Sue! How are you doing?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CaitSith
Stats: 000/000/000
Hello fellow Canadian

Hi there, I'm Cait. Nice to meet you. I am always looking for others Canucks to share support and ideas. You have great looking menu ideas. I often forget how much I like tartar sauce...YUM! What a great motivator to eat fish
CaitSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Hi wendy, Hi Cait,

I'm sorry it's been a while since I've posted. Life has a way of getting pretty hectic around here. Just had some totally unexpected company this weekend and I completely blew my diet. I don't do well under pressure at all anymore and I haven't learned how to deal with it yet - especially when I'm just about broke. (which I am at present). But that will pass.

I just got Julia Ross' 2 books though and I am thrilled about them and have just barely had a chance to read any of them. I am hoping that her suggestions i.e. the aminos will help me and that I will be able to afford them.

Thanks for dropping by. Hope all is well with you both. (sorry this is so rushed).
Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Still trying to figure it out.......

I have been drinking very nourishing Green Smoothies so I do see the skin on my face changing already. That is from the cucumbers, celery, spinach, seeds and coconut oil etc.

I have been trying to read along in "The Diet Cure" too and am still not sure about whether I should be adding fruit to these smoothies. But I am so far.

Made a huge pot of chili for my husband to get that out of the way so I don't have to worry too much about his meals for a day or two. And I made the most delicious low carb coleslaw so that I could have some. Maybe I'll have some scrambled eggs with it for supper. Not sure yet. At the moment I have a bowl of it (the coleslaw, not the chili) with a few walnuts in it. Very tasty.

Still caved to drinking a small mug of coffee this morning but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel a bit more clearly and can see that soon I will be able to give it up - thanks to this book. And I am taking my little small dose of blood pressure med. too - just in case. That's all for now. Back to my book and putting my feet up for a few minutes.

Sue.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #55
Amish Wit

Just thinking of you and wondering how you are.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Hi Wendy. How sweet of you to ask. I'm not doing well at all. It was a very stressful day. My son was in court with his girlfriend as she has been trying to get full custody of her little son "4yrs old) for about 2 years. He was taken from her very unjustly. Perhaps you saw the movie on TV called "Guilt by Association"? It was about people who were arrested and charged and sentenced to various prison terms - up to life - simply for answering the phone and perhaps taking a message for a "friend" or a "boyfriend" who, unbeknownst to her, was heavily involved with drug dealing. This was a true story of how the woman fought the system and got an early pardon or exhoneration - whatever. How sad. So much injustice. This wasn't exactly the same thing that happened with my son's gf, but it was still totally unfair and she never seemed to stand a chance because of the baby's father's drug habit. She will get her little boy back - I am sure - as long as she doesn't lose it in court and say something to the judge or someone else that could ruin everything. So far she is doing well as she knows it will pay off in the long run. But in the meantime, their day in court was a complete waste of time, and money - an utter farce. And it affects the whole family - grandparents and greatgrandparents and friends. So I haven't eaten a single decent thing today as I was babysitting. I bought some healthy food for tomorrow though and I am again going to try my very best to not have any coffee, and just eat fruit and veggies, nuts and seeds and greens tomorrow. Wow - you were so nice to post all those recipes for us to see. I liked the sound of the Chai Tea, and the Pizza and another one which, at the moment, I've forgotten. I'll peek at them again when I have more time. Have a good weekend, Wendy, and I can see you are still struggling. Don't give up though. I won't either.

Sue.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Back again and hope to stay here!

cheri, I think you've fixed up my journal now - and I see that this particular thread is in bold print. So I do thank you very much. I will be back here later, at the end of the day, to start posting my day's food and experience with low carb.

Yesterday I began the day with a coffee C/sucaryl/bit of honey.
A bit later I downed a large GS with a big bunch of red swiss chard, 2T brown sesame seeds, 2T flax seeds, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1T Carlson's "lemon" cod liver oil, 1/2 cup Kefir, 1/2 cup organic ff plain yogurt, 1 pkg stevia and 1 cup water. It was a bit strong with so much swiss chard but I want my greens!

Later, in the car, I had a tiny handful of nuts and another coffee. (not good planning here, I know, but I really wasn't that hungry anyway.

Supper was roast chicken, and a Greek salad.

Will update my profile a.s.a.p. and hopefully have a photo one of these days.

Sue.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

cheri, sweet patient lady........

I am still being a pest as I am still hoping you will be able to change the new title of my journal to look like this:

Never Giving Up
islesgirl's journal

Think you can do it for me, please? I really want the bold print on top and my name only on the bottom. Thanks so much for your patience and help.

Food for the day so far:

early a.m. - coffee C/sucaryl and a bit of honey

Breakfast: GS with kale, cuke, yesterday's leftover smoothie, sesame and flax seeds, pineapple, water. This was tasty, but made me bloat. Think I really have to move ahead cautiously and avoid mixing dairy with fruit, seeds. GS never used to bloat me much until I added Kefir and yogurt. I could simply have them at the end of the day.

Late lunch: chicken Caesar salad with some pumpkin and sesame seeds added also.

Snack: another coffee (my vice)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Journaling my food, feelings, fat loss....

Keeping track helps me so much and I am going to try harder to keep a day-to-day record of the above, beginning today. I have been trying to eat mostly raw food and it just doesn't work for me at this time.

Breakfast:
coffee/cream & sucaryl & bit of honey

Smoothie: banana, 2T brown sesame seeds, maca, FoTi (2 capsules each)
vanilla, 1 heap. T cacao, 1 cup water, 5 ice cubes, 1 Stevia pkg

Lunch: Green Smoothie: Spinach, 1 small pineapple, 1/2 lemon (this made 2 big glasses and was great)

Last edited by islegirl; 05-13-2009 at 08:54 AM..
Old 05-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Just adding to my previous menu

Same day as previous post.... Wednesday, May 13/09 3:30p.m. Ontario time.

Snack: A bit of leftover salad with cuke, grape tomatoes, red onion, summer sausage, dill pickle, black olives, romaine and Feta Greek salad dressing. Delicious.

Can't wait until tomorrow night to see if I am back in Ketosis - have been off track but now I am trying again - harder - and reading everything I can about this.

Am pretty tired today but I read a post here and "saved" it for future reference about being extremely tired during "Induction" sometimes - but that one gets past it. (I have read and re-read Atkins' books but often forget their contents. :blush This always happened to me before and so I always ended up quitting as I felt there just had to be something very wrong with this diet for me to be this tired. This time I am hoping to persevere (but only if I can continue to get in lots of greens, veggies and as much fruit as I can get away with and still remain in Ketosis). That is where I am at!