LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #511
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennifer
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: on and off, up and down since 1/30/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Love it that your birthday is 1/11 -- you are a Capricorn which means that you like plans, structure and being well-organized. As a Virgo, I totally understand!
I am nothing without a plan
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #512

Gail & Dianne,

I love that both of you made the same suggestion, not just as each other, but as what I was thinking for myself. When I was a child, my dad lost 70 lbs and kept it off for the rest of his life. He weighed himself on Monday mornings, ate healthy through the week, then weighed himself again on Friday morning. If his weight was the same or less on Friday as it had been on Monday, he ate what he wanted all weekend. He had a 5 lb range, and if he ever went over that range he didn't have his free weekends until he was back within. That is definitely something I can do/live with.

My problem is, I'm not at a happy weight yet where I feel comfortable doing that. On the flip side, I keep pushing myself to lose, lose, lose so I can get to that happy weight, and I binge. So frustrating! So then I think, just concentrate on stopping the binge behavior, but again, that hasn't been a success because when I tell myself nothing is off limits I tend to go a little wild

I seriously just had a lightbulb, Oprah a-ha moment. I have a dr's appt 1/4/13 and I have to lose as much weight as humanly possible before then. But, I can, right here and now, say that I will have a free dinner 12/16/12 (DH & I have reservations to have prime rib at Flemings ), and free day on Christmas and New Year's. If anything comes up between now & then I will go from there, but everything must be planned - no winging it.

I feel tons better

ETA - I am a big fan of Sugar Free Sheila's too. I should hate her because she makes it all seem so easy, lol, but I think she's great!!

Last edited by Jennifer; 12-02-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #513
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Happy Sunday ~ Love the plan Jennifer. I keep hearing about HCG but I honestly don't know much about it ??

that you are feeling so much better
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #514
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Jen, I am nothing without a plan either. I love your plan. Just stick with it and you will be fine.
NWLoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
I agree with Dianne -- it is good to have a plan and clearly, you are feeling positive about your options -- so that is GREAT! I love what your father did and that is something that I aspire to -- he managed to stay in control of his weight but also enjoyed good food on occasion. Very healthy example!

Jennifer, who is that person in your avatar? The Pittsburgh Steelers coach or the New Orleans Saints coach? It looks like it might be the Saints coach...
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindym View Post
Happy Sunday ~ Love the plan Jennifer. I keep hearing about HCG but I honestly don't know much about it ??

that you are feeling so much better
Hi Cindy, Hope you're doing well.
The hcg plan is you take the hcg hormone (pregnancy hormone) while eating a very low calorie, low fat diet. It is extremely strict & regimented, down to what lotion, toothpaste and make-up you can use. After 21-42 days (depending on how much you want to lose), you eat very similar to Atkins for 3 weeks, then maintenance for another 3 weeks. It starts with 2 loading days, of eating anything you want. I am sure it is extremely hard psychologically, but supposedly there is very little physical hunger.
From reading the book Pounds and Inches, and real world experience on this and other sites, it works so that you lose fat from where you need to lose it. I need this because my body has been hidden under so much fat for so long, and loses/gains very strangely, that I have no idea what my true shape is. I figure 1 round should get me where I need to be, and I can do anything for a little over 2 months. More info here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Jen, I am nothing without a plan either. I love your plan. Just stick with it and you will be fine.
Ahhh, sticking with it Well, as usual once I decide on a plan, I cheated. I had a peppermint hot chocolate, 2 cookies, and a piece of pumpkin bread. I started a caramel cake yogurt, but came to my senses and dumped that down the sink. DH is grilling right now, so I am going to dig into a salad with Ranch dressing, hard boiled egg & bacon, and a big fat ribeye. Probably not too much since I am full, but I will have at least some of a good, fatty, low carb dinner to end the day.

Quote:
Jennifer, who is that person in your avatar? The Pittsburgh Steelers coach or the New Orleans Saints coach? It looks like it might be the Saints coach...
Saints
Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #517
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jen- As someone who struggles as you do (i.e., to learn to eat moderately after a big weight loss), I assume you know that the worst thing for binge eating is to react by restricting excessively. That is the single causative factor for binges that has been documented.

Thus, a 'diet' like HCG that is so restrictive will program you to binge and should be avoided. Way back when I was losing with JUDDD, anyone who had a history of binge eating found that the plan caused them to binge due to the restrictions. In fact, the plan's developer, Dr. Johnson, specifically warns that it's an inappropriate choice for anyone with a history of binge eating.

It winds up being a Catch-22. We binge--and then restrict to try not to gain, but that act of restricting eating leads to another binge.

Please don't adopt any plan that is going to lead you to further binge eating.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Jen- As someone who struggles as you do (i.e., to learn to eat moderately after a big weight loss), I assume you know that the worst thing for binge eating is to react by restricting excessively. That is the single causative factor for binges that has been documented.

Thus, a 'diet' like HCG that is so restrictive will program you to binge and should be avoided. Way back when I was losing with JUDDD, anyone who had a history of binge eating found that the plan caused them to binge due to the restrictions. In fact, the plan's developer, Dr. Johnson, specifically warns that it's an inappropriate choice for anyone with a history of binge eating.

It winds up being a Catch-22. We binge--and then restrict to try not to gain, but that act of restricting eating leads to another binge.

Please don't adopt any plan that is going to lead you to further binge eating.
Sage advice, as always, and much appreciated.

I expressed concerns about hcg and binging up thread, and I still do have them. However, I am binging while following relatively restriction-free Atkins, so at this point I may need something extreme to 'snap me out of it'. Or, do I need to throw aside all restrictions and just concentrate on stopping the binging? Honestly, I feel that logically the latter is best, but I haven't been successful the other times I have tried it, and the fact that I still have lots of weight to lose is stopping me. But then again, this yo-yo'ing is not helping me either. It's so hard for me to shake the diet, all-or-nothing mentality.

I'm just really confused right now. For now I am going to stick with what I know best (Atkins) and take it one meal at a time at least until my birthday next month. I will re-evaluate then and decide my next steps.

Thanks again, Leo.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #519

I forgot about a work function Monday, so plan starts today. My plan is to stay on Atkins '72/Induction at least through my birthday weekend next month. My planned free days between now and then are:

December 16th - free meal at Flemings's
Christmas Eve/New Year's Eve - free meal
Christmas Day/New Year's Day - free days
Birthday Weekend 1/11-1/13 - free weekend

I have decided to make not binging my main focus, while trying my hardest to stay on plan. But when I am literally whimpering because I want something (yes, it has happened ), I will have it. I will post what I ate for accountability, and this time I promise it will be the good, the bad, and the ugly. No more avoidance. And I need anyone reading this to please hold me to it, k?

I have also made the decision, depending on how I feel, to refuse the weigh-in at my doctor's appt 1/4/13. That was a huge source of stress for me.

Last edited by Jennifer; 12-04-2012 at 06:12 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #520
Major LCF Poster!

This is a good plan -- you are one smart Capricorn! I am glad that you are going to refuse the weigh-in if it is stressful for you as stress is what brings binges on. Your friends here will hold you accountable for writing your food intake in your journal but please know that we all support you and believe in you 100%. You can do this!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #521
Major LCF Poster!

Jen, I second what Gail has written. I especially like the idea to not have a weigh-in at the doctor's office if it is a source of stress.

We will hold you accountable. You can do this!

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #522
Senior LCF member

Yes--definitely plan to refuse the weigh-in at the doctor's office. I know that impending stress like that can easily set off a binge.

One of the things I've learned from all my reading is that there's no easy (or single) solution to our problem of binge eating. Various people have gained control in different ways, but it seems to be entirely an individual issue.

I admire you Jen for keeping at it and trying to find a solution. That's all any of us can do.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

One of the things I've learned from all my reading is that there's no easy (or single) solution to our problem of binge eating. Various people have gained control in different ways, but it seems to be entirely an individual issue.
I agree with this 100%. Just like some people do better on Weight Watchers as opposed to Atkins, some control the binge monster by going cold turkey with trigger foods, while others get control by occasional indulgences. I think I am somewhere in the middle but leaning toward the latter. I want to be able to indulge whenever I want something (within reason of course ), but I think my solution is going to be to have an occasional carefully planned indulgence, and the only wiggle room is when I have the feeling that not eating what I want right at that time will turn into a binge.

I actually am pretty good at recognizing that feeling - it happened Sunday afternoon. I could have most likely stopped a binge before it started by giving in to the one thing I craved - peppermint hot chocolate. Instead, hours after my initial craving, I had not only the hot chocolate, but 2 big cookies and a piece of pumpkin bread, and munched compulsively all night on l/c foods. Maybe I still would have binged, maybe not I am definitely a work in progress!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #524

Tuesday

Day 1 went well, probably because, for once, there was no cake, cookies, cupcakes, banana bread, fudge, etc all over the office. It also helped that I felt like absolute crap for most of the day; I felt like my insides were on fire. And I do not even want to get into how tight my clothes were, even being all Spanx'd up. Not comfortable or professional, just tacky.

Anyway, I made it through and did not give in to stress eating.

Menu:
b - Greek yogurt with s/f Torani's; coffee w/hwc & s/f Torani's
l - bacon wrapped filet
d - chicken breast sauteed in butter, salad (lettuce, sunburst tomatoes, bacon, hickory bacon dressing)
1.5 l water, 1 bottle appletini crystal light, grande coffee from starbucks w/hwc & torani's
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #525
Major LCF Poster!

Hope you are feeling better today and on day 1.

Thanks for the info on HCG .... I wonder what the long term success rate is because the more research that I do .... it is clear that so much of the weight loss journey is about maintenance after the weight loss. A problem that I am planning to experience one day
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #526
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer, your eating yesterday was perfect. If you crave Peppermint Hot Chocolate, you might want to try this new flavored coffee from Dunkin Donuts called Peppermint Mocha. They sell it in the stores and online -- it is delicious and very low in carbs and calories.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #527
Major LCF Poster!

Thinking about you and hoping that you are having a fabulous day
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindym View Post
Hope you are feeling better today and on day 1.

Thanks for the info on HCG .... I wonder what the long term success rate is because the more research that I do .... it is clear that so much of the weight loss journey is about maintenance after the weight loss. A problem that I am planning to experience one day
I am finding that maintenance is very difficult, even when I try to maintain an above goal weight. And it seems to be universal - look at Leo & Diane, 2 extremely successful losers who have shared their struggles with maintenance with us. But we will get there, and before we know it, we will be sharing our maintenance struggles too!

Hope you have a great Friday Eve
Old 12-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #529

Quote:
Jennifer, your eating yesterday was perfect. If you crave Peppermint Hot Chocolate, you might want to try this new flavored coffee from Dunkin Donuts called Peppermint Mocha. They sell it in the stores and online -- it is delicious and very low in carbs and calories.
I did try a substitute - hot chocolate made with cream/water, unsweetened cocoa and s/f peppermint syrup, but it didn't satisfy the craving. At the time I knew it wouldn't, but I was so determined to stay cheat free. I just have to trust myself to know that difference between a craving and a CRAVING. First one can be usually satisfied by a sub, 2nd one not so much.

I have DD Mocha Mint and Gingerbread cookie coffees - so good!!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #530

Wednesday

Another good eating day, although it already seems like I've been at it forever

Menu:
b - Greek yogurt with s/f Torani's syrup; coffee w/hwc & s/f Torani's
l - ribeye
d - taco meat topped w/sour cream & cheese; .5 cup sunburst tomatoes; caesar salad
2.5 l water, can of diet Barq's, grande coffee from Starbucks w/hwc & s/f Torani's

Hope everyone has a great day!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #531
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer, your eating is terrific! I know it seems like forever but it will benefit you in the long run! I have to try DD Gingerbread Cookie coffee - YUM!

Where do you find Torani syrup?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #532
Major LCF Poster!

Jen, congrats on good days. I think that maintenance is harder than losing weight. It is a whole different scenario and mindset. During the losing weight mode you have a goal in mind and you are trying to get there. When you are at goal, it is almost like, now what? I think, at least for me, you think everything is going to be solved, great, etc. when you hit goal. There is no magic when you get there. You now have to figure out how to stay there. But that is what is so great about having a support group such as this, we can share our stories and struggles and learn from each other. I, for one, am a very boring eater on most days. I know what I really like and I eat the same things almost every day. It is like my comfort zone. I know if I eat this and this and that, that I will stay the same. For me it works and that is the beauty of maintenance, when you find a winning combination of foods that you like, use that to help stay in control. I hope this makes sense as I feel like I am rambling.

Hi Gail, Cindy, Leo and any other lurkers! How is it going for you?

Have a great day everyone!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
Old 12-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #533
Senior LCF member

I have found maintenance very challenging--and I'm still trying to meet all those challenges after almost two years of maintaining.

I'm currently reading a great book (Beating Overeating published in the UK) that actually helped me deal successfully with a 'craving' earlier today.

I know this is partially 'mental' because during weight-loss, I was 'hard core' and didn't experience any 'cravings' at all. I assumed they left with the weight, but once I started maintenance, they came roaring back. I suspect it was once I loosened the 'reins' just a little.

However, it's very physical as well. In my reading, the experts agree that our bodies dislike weight loss and will always urge us to eat more. That's why the notion of 'listening to your body' is flawed. Our bodies were programmed long ago when food was scarce, and overeating when food was available was a necessity. In 21st century abundance, that's no longer necessary, but we still have bodies programmed for the past, and that's why weight loss is a negative state that the body is trying to remedy!

The more weight we lose, the more our bodies will urge us to eat more because it really wants to re-fill those fat cells.

The authors I've read all agree that we need to have techniques to allow our 'higher brain' to take control because it's the 'lower brain' that creates those cravings. Of course, it's not simple, which is why we all struggle with this issue, but I have found a lot of help from my reading.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #534
Major LCF Poster!

Leo, thank you -- that information and insight is extremely helpful. Dianne: I am doing fine but I suspect that I am still in the honeymoon period of Atkins/low carb. Next Monday will mark one month for me and I am still experiencing the blissful aspects of ketosis -- not feeling hungry, clear head/no brain fog, lots of energy, etc. I am losing weight at a decent clip but I have a lot to lose -- at least 50 pounds. However, I really want to keep forging ahead because I really want to lose this weight and adopt good habits for a lifetime. It was sobering to read Leo's account but I'm glad I did because there is no easy final answer to all of this -- and that is why we have each other for support and counsel when the going gets tough -- either in the weight loss stage or the maintenance stage. It ain't easy no matter how you slice it. But it beats the alternative -- which is continuing to gain weight via bad habits and doing nothing about it. I choose this without reservation. We are doing the right thing.

Last edited by GailyGail; 12-06-2012 at 02:10 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #535

Thursday

Day 3 and I was hungry and headachy all day. I've decided that I can live with hunger between meals, especially at work where there is always a lot to distract me. As long as I am prepared as far as meals go, I'm good.

I have a sweater that I keep at work since I am always freezing. I've had it forever and it is a size 14/16 and very big on me, but it's just something to throw on at the office. The jacket I wore Thursday is a size 4/6*. So even though I have gained a bunch of weight and feel like a bloated balloon, it was a reminder of how far I have come. Especially considering I had to lose a lot of weight to even be able to wear that now big sweater.

*The only reason I can fit into this size 4/6 jacket is that it is from a store whose sizes run big (Coldwater Creek) and even though it is linen with no give, it a looser-fitting cut. I was also Spanx'd up, and it felt tighter than usual. No way I'm really a size 4-6

Menu:
b - 4 slices of bacon, coffee w/hwc & Torani's
l - pork tenderloin
d - pork chop sauteed in butter, salad (lettuce, bacon, sunburst tomatoes, creamy balsamic herb dressing)
90 oz water, 1 can caffeine free diet Coke, grande Starbucks coffee w/hwc & Torani's
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #536

Like Gail wrote, it is sobering that we do not lose our eating issues as we lose weight (mine got worse) and that our very own bodies and brains are conspiring to keep us from losing, but it is so incredibly helpful to have the voices of experience for support and guidance. We are developing healthy habits that will carry us through life, even if we have an occasional stumble here and there. Definitely better than gaining year after year.

I try to keep things very simple too. I have 4 core breakfasts that I rotate (bacon, eggs, sausage, yogurt; I eat them in alphabetical order - I am so OCD), dinner is usually a hunk o'meat & salad, and lunch is either leftovers from the previous night's dinner, or something I had frozen during a marathon cooking session. Like Diane said, it's comfortable, I don't have to think too much about it, and it works. I have a bunch of spice blends, some that I've made, some I've bought - Mrs. Dash, Tony Chachere, Paul Prudhomme, Tabasco. I use them, again, in alphabetical order, and each one has a protein that I use it on, so that's how I decide what to cook for dinner. And that sounds really crazy and anal doesn't it?

Like Leo I was extremely hard core during my first go-round with Atkins in 2000-2001. I lost 150 lbs in less than a year, but I was miserable. I was so determined to be skinny by my 30th birthday in 1/2002 that by the time I couldn't take it any longer and started my 3 year binge, I was eating basically nothing, exhausting myself with exercise, and was absolutely miserable. I'm not so hard core now, but I realize that deprivation is a slippery slope for me. And I don't mean deprivation as in starving, I mean deprivation as in fighting my cravings so hard that I eventually give in anyway.

I'm rambling and typing a book here, but believe it or not I still have lots more to say, but I have to get ready for work. DH & I are going to one of our favorite restaurants tonight (Taste of Texas) where it is easy to stay low carb.

Hope everyone has a good Friday!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #537

Quote:

Where do you find Torani syrup?
Netrition
Old 12-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #538
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Jennifer! I don't think you sound anal -- you sound super organized and focused -- which is one of the reasons by you have been so successful with weight loss and maintenance. I agree with you and Dianne -- if you find an eating regime that works, still with it. Jenn, you are doing really well, so much better than you give yourself credit for! And I think you are closer to a size 4/6 that you realize.

I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #539
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Friday ~ What is DD Mocha Mint and Gingerbread cookie coffees ?? They sound

Glad that things are going better and I love when everyone shares their experiences.

Have fun at Taste of Texas .... even sounds good
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #540
Major LCF Poster!

Jen, I do not think you are anal either. Just organized. I am funny in that I have certain combinations to eat and don't stray much. for example I always have salsa with a dollop of sour cream with my hamburger patty. I think routine takes away the stress for me, is comforting and just easy. Lol!

Everyone have a great weekend.