Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunny
Stats: 227/213/125
WOE: low carb whole foods
Sunny's Recovery From Obesity

A few weeks ago I weighed in at my highest weight yet - 227 lbs. That put my BMI at 39.0 and dangerously close to being morbidly obese. Morbidly obese. It's hard to wrap my head around that fact. How could I do this level of destruction to myself?

I haven't weighed myself since. Too scared. But I have been attempting to eat healthier and exercise more. The eating healthier is not all that healthy by a long shot. I've added in more vegetables, but am still eating ice cream and chocolate every day. The only difference is instead of finishing off a family bag of M&Ms and half gallon of ice cream, I am taking a large portion of each and throwing the rest away. Such a waste when I go out for more the next day, but the calories are better off in the garbage than in my body. Next step is to cut the junk out completely, save for a few times a year maybe. Think of all the money that will be saved!

Exercising is going well. Been doing an hour or two of treadmill walking most days of the week. My left ankle has been getting sore and swollen lately. Just a reminder of how important honing in on my diet is so I don't have to push my body so hard with the exercise. Hah, not that it looks like I'm doing much on the treadmill - my walking speed is SLOW.

I have so many reasons to lose this excess weight. One that stands out and has me pushing harder to achieve my goal is something my 3rd grader said to me last week. She's at that age where dressing up in mommy's old clothes is exciting and because I used to be so thin years ago, she gets to have a field day wearing my old cute clothes. So last week she's got on a dress of mine. I tell her to be careful while wearing it because one day I am looking forward to wearing that dress again. Her response: "Mom, you're never going to lose that weight." Of course I promptly told her she was mistaken, but inside I hurt. It hurt to hear my own child have so little faith in my abilities. I vow to be a role model for my kids and to show them that, with enough dedication and responsibility, positive things can happen. I will lose this fatty fat fat that's covering my natural body.

So what's my plan? Geez, that's a hard one. I guess this is something I'll have to keep revising as I find out what is best for my needs. For right now, the plan is to:

1. work on eating more whole foods and less processed ones.
2. begin strength training in addition to cardio.
3. do more things to help my mind and body, like yoga and visualization techniques.

Doing #1 should help me cut out unnecessary carbs while increasing protein intake. #2 will hopefully prevent me from having the skinny fat look when I reach my goal weight. #3 should reduce my binge eating, increase my flexibility, and help me gain more self awareness - basically all things to help me appreciate where I am today. Past experience tells me I can't get the body I want by hating on the one I have now.
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

So happy! Weighed in and somehow managed to lose 7 lbs while half-assing my dietary changes these past few weeks ago. Down to 220. I've got such a long way to go to get to 125. I'll try not to think about that. Time to enjoy the new lifestyle and loving what my body can do instead of what it can't.

To reach my weight loss goal, today I will:
1. not go to the store to buy junk food.
2. do at least an hour of cardio.
3. do a strength training workout.
4. keep carb intake under 100g.
5. keep protein intake over 100g.
6. do some yoga.
7. take a few minutes throughout the day to visualize my success.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

End of day 1 and how did I do?

1. did not go to the store to buy junk food.
2. did 90 minutes of cardio.
3. got busy reading success stories on here and forgot to strength train
4. kept carbs under 100g - just barely.
5. got in over 110g of protein.
6. only did stretching, not really yoga moves.
7. I visualized my weight loss success. Happy times!

Family vacation time is coming up and that's always been a toughie. I'll have to plan ahead, brings LC whole food snacks, etc.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
You are well on your way, congratulations on making the decision to get your health back!

MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement, Maggie!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Yesterday was day 2 and was an off day in the sense that my husband stayed home from work. He's off for a week & a half. Love having him home, but my comfortable routine goes out the window. Also had a dentist appointment yesterday. New dentist. So nervous thought I was going to pass out in the chair. Two cavities were filled and one of them needs a crown in a couple of weeks. The dentist was even talking about a root canal down the line for that tooth! Part of me just wants to have the darn thing pulled.

On the dieting front, the new fillings kept me from eating much. Had gotten in 60 minutes of walking earlier in the day. I know my carbs were under 100g. Not sure how much protein, at least 70g. And I still need to get in that strength training workout. Must find motivation!

I did something bad yesterday. Out of plain old habit, I put a bag of m&ms in the cart while at the store. Scary how it didn't cross my mind to not buy that bag of sugary junk. Guess it's just a matter of getting out of my old mindset? Maybe in the meantime I can bring along a reminder note for myself when shopping. The good news is I didn't devour the m&ms. I had about 20 pieces last night.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I'm a little freaked out by my scale. Weight is going down, but body fat is up. Strange. Makes me more motivated to build up my muscles, though. Today I vow to get in that strength training workout!!!

Been going through some weird hot flash/cold chill moments the past few days. Either my body is fighting off some germ or I'm going through perimenopause. I dunno, for now I'll just fancy the temp changes as my body struggling to get into fat burning mode. Much more motivational.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gained a lb from yesterday. Now at 217. Everything was usual in my diet except for a small bowl of homemade pudding I had at my MIL's house. She said it was low calorie and low sugar, but I wouldn't be surprised if she lied. She's told many lies to me over the years when it comes to food ("no, I didn't feed your kids any candy"..."yes, these veggies are plain"...etc).

The only other reason for the weight gain could be from strength training or doing sprints. Did both yesterday and in the past that's caused me to gain.

Gaining weight is frustrating, but must remember this is just a tiny speed bump in a long road trip.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: It'stime
Stats: 177/177/130
WOE: stillmans tweaked4me
Start Date: 12/29/2013
you are doing great Sunny! Keep going.
It'stime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen