LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Julieboolie's Journal

Well, I used to have a blog. But, I can't seem to find it!! Not sure where the blogs went? So, I think I will start a journal. I need somewhere to document where I am, where I've been and where I'm going!!

Reader's Digest history: I have been obese all my life. I was a size 14 in 6th grade, and managed to continue gaining up to college. I did the Slim Fast plan for a year at 18 and lost down to 175. That, plus aerobics was really exciting. I as a size 14 my first year of college. But, as w. crash diets, it didn't last. I gained back up to a 22/24 by the time I graduated. I then moved home to PA, and took a job as a chemist. I ended up spending a few years in the food & confectionery division, making and eating too much candy. I got all the way up to a size 26.

I met dh in 1996, and got married in 1998. I starved myself on a low fat diet before our wedding and managed to get down to 195. I hated every second of it, and once the wedding was over, I ate again!! I popped back up to about 240 for a while.

2 babies, 3 miscarriages, 2 kidney infections, pneumonia, gall bladder disease and surgery and 5 years later I am up to 272 and barely fitting my size 26's. A friend tried and lost with Atkins and encouraged me to read the DANDR book. I did, and it was like a lightbulb. I had been so deprived of fat, that the idea of eating it instead of carbs really appealed to me.

So, in July 2003 I started. Decided to give it 2 weeks and see what happened. I was a very slow loser every time I'd tried. Well, I lost 12lbs in those 2 weeks and felt great. Satisfied and lots of energy!! I love Atkins!! Over the next year I lost just about 100lbs. By July 2004 I was down to about 175 and the happiest (and smallest) I'd been since I was 18. A whole new life!!

We did some moving around, to FL for 5 months, and then out to AZ. I gained a little weight back, but took it back off w. LC and was maintaining around 175-180 for 5 years or so. I had 1 stint in there where I joined a lovely gym that has a beautiful pool and water slide and ended up working out daily and watching the cals to the point where I got down to 155. It was amazing!!

My father died about 3 months after this point, and between the month in the hospital and the grief and adjustment afterwards (my dad and I were VERY close) I ate my way back up to 175.

In Sept 2010 I decided to try hcg. Atkins was working well for me in maintenance at that point, as I am a LCer for life, but I was not able to get back down to the 150's which is where I'd really like to be. So, I gave hcg a whirl. I was very skeptical and doubtful, but like my initial experience with Atkins, I'll give it 3 weeks. Well, I lost about 20lbs in that time and was surprised and pleased.

Several rounds later and I actually saw, for 1 day, 149.6 on the scale!! Happy, happy, joy, joy!! It didn't stick. I really think that the low calories I was eating for many months to get down to that number really took a toll on me. My metabolism was slow, I had no energy, and wasn't working out.

I stopped w. the hcg in July 2011. I needed a break, and so did my body. I started a weight training program (NROL for W). I am not a big cardio fan, but do love weights. I was plugging along well with that. I had 3 big trips that Fall and enjoyed myself to the fullest. I was able to maintain in the high 150's while enjoyig life.

Unfortunately, I broke my big toe while on our trip to MN in Oct. I landed in a boot for 2 months, which derailed my exercise. I then enjoyed Christmas (didn't hold back) and started Jan up to 160. Sigh. I tried t/o Jan. to lose back down to my low-mid 150's. It didn't happen. I gave up and decided to do another round of hcg to try and get back down to the 150's for good.

So, here I am. Day 5-6 of the VLC P2 phase, and working back down the scale. I loaded well, and got up to 166.4 . Today I am down to 158.4

So, I will be coming here to track my progress and record my weight. I don't want to add it to my siggy, not sure why. Pride, desire to not discourage others.

So, onward and downward.
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Today I am down to 157.4. That's progress, to be sure. Yesterday I decided to run/walk for a half hour while watching dd's vball practice. I am still delighted at how much energy I have this round!!

So, coming in around 527 cals for the day and getting ready for bed. I am going to ride this wave as long as I can. Day 9, done .
Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
You are so beautiful! And your determination is impressive :-) You GO!!!

Jan
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
Way to go Julie!!! Good to see you here journaling!! YOU CAN DO THIS!! .. of course you can, you have and you will get to goal and stay there!
Deb294evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellenalesa
Stats: 190?/177/160ish
WOE: Starting HHCG Rogue 7/12/11
Start Date: July 12, 2011
Thanks for posting

Thanks for the short version; I always like knowing about people's journey.

Good for you for maintaining your weight so well! You are an inspiration. Thanks!
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow! Thanks girls!! You made me smile today!!

Jan-you're so sweet!! And you've done really well yourself!! Such a wonderful life change!!

Deb- thanks for stopping by. I'm liking a journal. A good place to keep track of things and stay focused!! I do hope I can get down where I want to be, and stay there. I mean really!! I could still benefit from losing another 20lbs below my goal, but I'll take this (if I can get it)!!

Ellen-Thanks!! you're doing great too!! Hcg is a miracle when it works. I don't think I could have done all 120lbs with it (like others have been able to do so well), but I think it works well for my last lbs. Hard to battle that sense of depravation w. my rebellious side that says "forget it, go eat that ___". Sigh.

Well, I'm down 0.4 today to 157 even. I finished my last round at 154 back in Aug. I really hope to be back there, and hopefully below, by the end of this round. I would love to see 149 again, that was a great day last April when I saw it. Glad I took a picture b.c that was the last time I saw it! I'm not as motivated to force my body to go that low this time. I wasn't able to maintain it (clearly) and don't want to have to work so hard to do so. I think if I can get down below 155, I could maintain around there with small effort.

I guess time will tell. I do wish I could become a hermit until I'm done w/ P2 though. I have more bday dinners and social meals out this weekend than I've had since Christmas!! all unexpected and challenging while on P2!! I checked the menu for Kona Grill (Fri's dinner) and they have a bowl of miso soup for 60cals, 2g fat. That's what I'll be enjoying, with iced tea and good friends. Sunday is a BBQ place, that has a 6oz chicken breast for 260cals on their menu. That'll be lunch, and I'll be a bit high on cals that day, but likely fine.

Thanks again for the support and kind words!! It is so encouraging!!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm still plugging away w/ hcg. It's been tough the past few days.

Thurs. I went to the gym and did the elliptical for 30 min, and did some weights too. Felt good. I got a call from my mom's neighbor. Apparently she fell getting out of bed in the middle of the night and got stuck between her bed and dresser. It was 12 hours before someone found her and called the fire department. Long story shorter, she's now in the hospital and they're running lots of test.

They've done MRI's, ultrasounds, blood tests... Her kidneys aren't doing well, she's confused and very weak. We're looking at nursing homes for her in between the hospital and home. It's been long hours away from home (hospital is 25 min from my home) and stressful. I've stuck to plan, but haven't had much sleep. Up 0.4 today to 156.6. No big deal. I'm not as worried about it. Bigger fish to fry.

Just checking in.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Not a a LC Friends stalker or anything but I have always followed your story. I did a round of Hhcg last year but had some Candida issue which I am working on correctlng and plan to do a round this April. You are one tough cookie because the Hhcg Diet can be a tough diet!!

Glad you are enjoying journaling and would like to visit you for support!!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Maggie!! You're too sweet!! and I'm not thinking stalker, but encourager .

You've done well yourself!! It's such a lifelong battle, isn't it? But the benefits are so worth it!! Living healthy has it's own rewards.

Sadly, I'm watching what happens when you live your whole life obese, with no exercise or thought of nutrition or wellness. My mother is paying the price of a lifetime of horrible eating habits and sedentary lifestyle. It's painful on her, but moreso on those of us who love her and want more from her.

Thanks again!!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Moving along today. Tried to drink more yesterday and only ate at home. Makes a big difference, especially w/ the 500cal hcg plan!!

Today we're dining out w. friends after church. I've checked their menu and will try for the chicken breast. They even have LC BBQ sauce (I suspect Walden Farms) which has zero cals in it. Supposedly thier olive oil vineagrette has 20cals/2tbs. The friends I'm dining with have done hcg in the past so I know they understand. It's always a gamble though. I won't be surprised if the scale is up tomorrow.

I'm also going out to the hospital to see my mom afterwards. Wish it were closer. It's such a trip! Takes up the whole day. But, it's worth it.

Onward and downward!!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning Julie, onward and downward indeed!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning Maggie!

I'm happy to report my nephew was born last night. Cameron weighed 8lb1oz and is happy and healthy! My SIL did great!!

My mom is also doing better. They're pretty sure she won't need dialysis!!

So a happy start to the week!! I've learned in all circumstances to be content, like the Bible teaches. It's not always easy, but like the Bible says, "godliness with contentment is great joy". So if in the middle of stressful times I can stay content, I think it will yeild even greater joy in my life. Not too happy to keep getting practice with it but God IS good all the time!!

My weight STS today. Which, considering I ate out yesterday, is just fine w. me. No softball tonight b/c of the holiday . Maybe I'll try to hit the gym later. So far, so good!!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #13

YAY!! for all your good news!!! I hope you have a wonderful day Julie!.. doing good!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JK130
Stats: 280/152/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 7.1.09
I'm "thinking" about hcg myself, cause I've been hanging out at the same "kinda Ok, but not where I feel best" weight for quite a while now. I agree with others, I think you're inspiring too.

I'm so pleased that your mom is a little better! Is she able to eat a diabetic friendly diet? Some of the people I know with diabetes have given up or they really don't know how carbs hurt.

Jan
JK130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
Morning Maggie!

I'm happy to report my nephew was born last night. Cameron weighed 8lb1oz and is happy and healthy! My SIL did great!!

My mom is also doing better. They're pretty sure she won't need dialysis!!

So a happy start to the week!! I've learned in all circumstances to be content, like the Bible teaches. It's not always easy, but like the Bible says, "godliness with contentment is great joy". So if in the middle of stressful times I can stay content, I think it will yeild even greater joy in my life. Not too happy to keep getting practice with it but God IS good all the time!!

My weight STS today. Which, considering I ate out yesterday, is just fine w. me. No softball tonight b/c of the holiday . Maybe I'll try to hit the gym later. So far, so good!!
So much wonderful news Julie, so glad things are going fine for you and for your family. Yes, God is good all the time even when things are not going right. We are a work in progress that is for sure.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #16

Good Morning Julie!.. have a great day
Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
I'm "thinking" about hcg myself, cause I've been hanging out at the same "kinda Ok, but not where I feel best" weight for quite a while now. I agree with others, I think you're inspiring too.

I'm so pleased that your mom is a little better! Is she able to eat a diabetic friendly diet? Some of the people I know with diabetes have given up or they really don't know how carbs hurt.

Jan
I highly recommend it. I was stuck and couldnt' lose no matter how strict LC I did. I finally decided, after lots of research, that "I could do anything for 3 weeks". And it worked!! I was miserable and hungry that first round, but I lost!!

Now I'm taking the stabilization phases of the plan more seriously. I need to be as strict in these phases, so I can stick to my low weight and maintain my loss. I'm still losing pretty well, 0.6 last night. Heading into week 3 tomorrow, where I normally stall. I'm not going to sweat it. I know I'm better off now than I was before, so I'll try to ride it all out. Trying not to stress the scale.

But, I was very lightheaded today. That's usually how the end of rounds go for me. I tend to "run out of steam" or feel depleted toward the end. I'm taking my vitamins but sticking to the 500cals so hopefully I'll still feel good until the end. Only another week, then 2 more days VLC w.o the pellets, and then I slowly add back in more food, and fat!! fat!! cream in my coffee will be my first treat!!

Overall, this round is going well despite all the stress and running around. If I can do it, anyone can. Trust me!!

Keep pressing on to the mark ladies!! WE can do it!!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #18

Great Job Julie!! you know yourself very well by now with this plan!! Almost there!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
I highly recommend it. I was stuck and couldnt' lose no matter how strict LC I did. I finally decided, after lots of research, that "I could do anything for 3 weeks". And it worked!! I was miserable and hungry that first round, but I lost!!

Now I'm taking the stabilization phases of the plan more seriously. I need to be as strict in these phases, so I can stick to my low weight and maintain my loss. I'm still losing pretty well, 0.6 last night. Heading into week 3 tomorrow, where I normally stall. I'm not going to sweat it. I know I'm better off now than I was before, so I'll try to ride it all out. Trying not to stress the scale.

But, I was very lightheaded today. That's usually how the end of rounds go for me. I tend to "run out of steam" or feel depleted toward the end. I'm taking my vitamins but sticking to the 500cals so hopefully I'll still feel good until the end. Only another week, then 2 more days VLC w.o the pellets, and then I slowly add back in more food, and fat!! fat!! cream in my coffee will be my first treat!!

Overall, this round is going well despite all the stress and running around. If I can do it, anyone can. Trust me!!

Keep pressing on to the mark ladies!! WE can do it!!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Julie, for your recommendation of hcg. I had a crummy start to this last round, so loaded for 2 days and today is Day 1 of VLCD. Hoping to do MUCH better this time around.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning girls!! I'm down to 154.4!! The lowest I've been in 6+months!! Woo-hoo!! And I still have 8 more days to go. Maybe I'll get down even further and will be able to maintain in this area a bit more easily this round!! I am definitely smaller, my jeans are getting loose and I can wear the jeans that were too tight before too!!

Deb-it's funny. I had to completely re-think it this round. It'd been so long since I'd done the 500 cal, and I'm not too rogue this round. I had to start over and take it carefully. It's going well though, and think the long break did me lots of good!!

Ellen-I hope you have a great round!! Sounds like you're in the right mindset to get 'er done!! It seems like such a small amount of food in the beginning. But I honestly look at my meals now and wonder if I mis-weighed them! It seems like a lot now! I hope I can keep that attitude into P3.

I'm thinking more about P3. I know the general opinion is the push the calories as high as you can right away. I don't think I want to do this. I want to go more slowly into it. I think when I up the cals too fast, I automatically gain 2lbs and am to the top of my range the first few days. Then I start the CD cycle. I'm going to only add a few things back in this time and see what my body does. I really want to be one of those lucky few who are able to go below LDW and have a larger range in which to maintain!! I'm good w/ less food for now, and hope that mentality will stay with me.

Well, off to take dh to the mechanic. It's always something, right?

Mom's improving daily. She's supposed to lose the catheter and be up and out of bed today. I hope those PT's are strong and sturdy. She's grouchy and resisitant too!!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
Hey, Julie! I just noticed that you have a journal now! We have similar stories--I also was only able to get to the 170s with Atkins, and am so grateful that I found hcg to get me through that setpoint and on down to goal.

You're doing great--I like your down-to-earth attitude!
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Hi Julie,

I am so new at this that I can't speak with any authority, but your plan to go slowly into P3 makes sense to me. I loaded these past 2 days and I found it difficult to eat because the fat satisfied me.

So maybe if you choose your fats carefully, you can eat less and still feel satisfied?

When I did Atkins the last time, in the beginning I ate MASSIVE quantities of food, but as I got into it, I started to make healthier choices and I found my desire for food lessening.

Like so many others, I could only get to a certain point with Atkins, but that may be because I ate so MUCH fat. I have never done moderation well, but I think I may try a more balanced approach when I get there.

Good luck!

Ellen
Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Ellen! I have been reading the FF thread with great interest. I will likely go heavy on the fat and easier on the protein as I transition. If I had another round planned, I would consider doing FF those last 2 days and then transition. I'm to scared I won't stabilize well if I do that. I plan to do this right this time!!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Little vent-dh's car is estimated to cost over $4000.00!! It's just a little noise!! His car has 70,000 miles on it!! we just paid it off!! I am so ticked!! I'm taking it to my brother's mechanic on Friday to see what he'll charge. He's done miracle for hiim, so I'm praying he can help us! We really don't have anywhere near that kind of money!! I'm not even sure his car is worth that much!!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Jessica-thanks for popping in! How're you liking maintenance? I look forward to getting and staying there this time!!

So, I just got a call from our second mortgage company. They offered us a settlement. 10% of the principal balance. I think this is a fair and good settlement. My dilema is, "is this worth it"? Our house is worth, maybe, $280K. We owe $370K on our first, which is modified to a low interest rate for 40 years so we can afford the payment.

When I write it out on paper, it makes financial sense to let this house go, stop paying our first and bank that $ - or pay down some debt with it. That would allow us to use that settlement money to pay off debt, and then we'd have to move and rent. We could rent for 3 years, while rebuilding our credit. Apparently FHA loans will requalify you after 3 years

Given how upside down we are, it'd be over 10 years until we'd be able to sell this house for what we then owed on it.

My heart wants to stay in this home. But, now that I've written it out on paper, it woudl make a lot more sense to let our house go. I'd try a short sale, but our second has said they wouldn't agree to it.

Sigh. I'm really torn. I'm trying not to stress about it, and just pray and see what the Lord leads us to. I dont' really feel rushed either, which is good.

Anyway, that's my update du jour!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, stress aside, I'm still losing!! Today is day 17 (I think!) and I lost a lb over night!! Crazy!! but Happy!!

Down to 152.8 this morning .

I'm off to check on my mom and then meeting my BFF for a pedicure!! Should be a great day. Be strong over the weekend. Try not to eat out (always de-rails me)!!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #28

CONGRATS JULIE!! way to go! hope Mom is doing better and enjoy your pedi!!.. Yes, be careful and mindful over the weekend. YOU can do this!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Well I STS today. I'm sad the scale didn't go down. It's been such a nice ride seeing daily losses!! But, I have to remember I'm really happy where I am and have enjoyed this round quite well.

Hopefully it's not a stall. I did have 2 apples yesterday and a second helping of cabbage. I was surprisingly hungry last night. So, I hope to be down a bit tomorrow. I'm keeping it clean today. I may add eggs (3 egg whites and a whole egg) for lunch or dinner. Haven't done eggs at all yet. I really hope they don't create a stall. I guess we'll see. I only hope to lose a lb or 2 more, but would be ever so happy to see a 14X!! Anything in the 140's would be seriously exciting to me. I saw 149.6 once last year. I took a pic . I don't think I'd be able to easily maintain that low, but it would sure be fun to try!!

If I can get down 2 more lbs, and be 150.X for my LDW, I'd happily maintain below 153. That would be a wonderful goal weight for me!!

Here's hoping!!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
I've noticed that my body fights back when it gets ready to drop--hunger almost always precedes a loss! Bet you have a good one tomorrow.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote