Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #1501
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
WOE: hcg 2.0
Merry Christmas, Julie! I think a lot of us will have to do damage control, but for now enjoy precious time with loved ones.

ETA: Also hope you feel better, especially since you're hosting *hugs*
shari is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #1502
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
I'm so sorry you're sick. Good for you for keeping your spirits up and enjoying the holidays anyway. Get well fast, and NO MORE EVERGREENS in your house.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #1503
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Thank you sweet friends . The amazing invention of "teledoc" saved the day! You sign up (benefit covered by our insurance) request a "consult" and 10 minutes later a dr called me. Diagnosed over the phone (I know its a sinus infection), he called in a rx to my local pharmacy, they called 10 minutes later and I picked it up. soooo much better than going to the dr or urgent care!! I'm feeling better already (which is pretty amazing!).

I've gotten most of my cooking and baking done, (baked GF pasta, regular pasta, gf cherry cobbler, birthday cake, pepperoni bread, cesar salad started-lettuce washed and torn) shouldn't have too much to do tomorrow. meatballs and sauce in the crockpot, triple chocolate mess in another crockpot, bake all the other stuff thats already made... shouldn't be too bad. I really enjoy entertaining and a few more people just rsvp'd today, so we're looking at bout 40 people now. Thankfully, dh's boss is letting him work from home tomorrow, and he'll get off early so he'll vacuum for me ... It's all coming together. Hit the store for the rolls (only thing I couldn't up in advance) and *should* be all set. I hope so.

This year I'm working on not freaking out or stressing it. Planning and doing as much ahead of time as I can, and choosing to stay calm. people understand if things aren't perfect, it's the time together with friends and family that is most precious. I hope to keep that all in mind as it gets closer .

I hope you all enjoy some sweet time with family and friends and have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #1504
Big Yapper!

WHAT? Teledoc? Never heard of it. That's awesome! Glad you're feeling better too. You have 40 people coming??? OMG, woman. I'd need some serious valium. You're right, though. Most people don't notice the minute details, only the over-all effect of a party and I'm sure you're going to pull it all together in a lovely way.

Merry Christmas, darling. Sleep well.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #1505
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.

Merry Christmas!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #1506
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
WHAT? Teledoc? Never heard of it. That's awesome! Glad you're feeling better too. You have 40 people coming??? OMG, woman. I'd need some serious valium. You're right, though. Most people don't notice the minute details, only the over-all effect of a party and I'm sure you're going to pull it all together in a lovely way.

Merry Christmas, darling. Sleep well.
Thank you! We had a lovely Christmas and enjoyed this whole week! There was way too much food, so we had it all again on Christmas day! Hope you had a good one too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post

Merry Christmas!
Thanks! That's a great picture! Oh come let us adore Him!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #1507
Big Yapper!!!!

Not weighing, but eating too much! Did manage to hit the gym yesterday for the bodypump class. Sore today! Planning a hike tomorrow, looking forward to that! I'll reign it back in soon, but also know that I'm up a bit, just by the look of my belly. It's ok, all part of the metabolism healing plan, but need to figure out how long I'll do this, and what to do next. The exercise part is good, and my temps are much better than they used to be. Not quite sure how to lose a bit, but considering a calorie cycling plan. Hope to Kee my metabolism going yet drop a bit at a time. Not in a hurry, but would like to be down 10-15 by July. Very doable .
Old 12-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #1508
Big Yapper!

That's a very reasonable plan and goal, Julie. The hurryer we are, the behinder we get. I love that old saying. Have a great hike and enjoy those gorgeous AZ temps you must be experiencing. Are you planning any trips up into snowy places soon?
Old 12-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #1509
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pandora174
Stats: 248/130-134/125
WOE: hHCG, 5:2, JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
I agree Julie about your plan. What I've been noticing lately that maybe it's not so much the calorie restriction or sticking to one restrictive diet plan. The last few weeks for me I've been losing, not huge amounts but it's been surprising and it's been when my carbs while the good kind are in no way low and neither are my calories. But I have noticed overall I have been exercising 5x a week mainly cardio with a little weights, my calories are usually below 1500 and I make sure I stay regular.

The moment I do any really restrictive thing like fat fast, greek yogurt days, 500 calories etc I may lose but within a few days I am back up. But without even trying I've been losing and I do think you're right about the rounds messing with our metabolism. It's been a year in maintenance for me and 9 months since my last round and I was seeing 130-132 the last month or so 128-130 and now 126-129 but it's been gradual.

I think if you stick to your plan, exercise, maybe do a regular day and the next day cut back a bit and I bet you will get to your goal before July ! But I would stay away from another round but that's just my opinion. HCG while great when we have loads to lose I'm not so sure about the multiple rounds we've all done or the back to back 500 calories and if it really takes from your fat stores and re-sets our metabolism. I still remember the hair loss, lack of energy and dizziness I would have doing rounds. How was that good for my metabolism ? I don't regret HCG at all mind you since it helped me get where I am but I will not do another round unless I have no alternative. But that's just me the thought of introducing all my favorite foods again after 21 days of 500 calories is just too much for me to handle for some reason lol

My Maintenance journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-lbs-down.html

Last edited by pandora174; 12-28-2013 at 04:40 PM..
pandora174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #1510
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
That's a very reasonable plan and goal, Julie. The hurryer we are, the behinder we get. I love that old saying. Have a great hike and enjoy those gorgeous AZ temps you must be experiencing. Are you planning any trips up into snowy places soon?
Cute saying! And true! We'll probably head up to Flagstaff in a few weeks for a weekend in the snow. It's nice to play in and visit, but it's so nice to come back to warm weather .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora174 View Post
I agree Julie about your plan. What I've been noticing lately that maybe it's not so much the calorie restriction or sticking to one restrictive diet plan. The last few weeks for me I've been losing, not huge amounts but it's been surprising and it's been when my carbs while the good kind are in no way low and neither are my calories. But I have noticed overall I have been exercising 5x a week mainly cardio with a little weights, my calories are usually below 1500 and I make sure I stay regular.

The moment I do any really restrictive thing like fat fast, greek yogurt days, 500 calories etc I may lose but within a few days I am back up. But without even trying I've been losing and I do think you're right about the rounds messing with our metabolism. It's been a year in maintenance for me and 9 months since my last round and I was seeing 130-132 the last month or so 128-130 and now 126-129 but it's been gradual.

I think if you stick to your plan, exercise, maybe do a regular day and the next day cut back a bit and I bet you will get to your goal before July ! But I would stay away from another round but that's just my opinion. HCG while great when we have loads to lose I'm not so sure about the multiple rounds we've all done or the back to back 500 calories and if it really takes from your fat stores and re-sets our metabolism. I still remember the hair loss, lack of energy and dizziness I would have doing rounds. How was that good for my metabolism ? I don't regret HCG at all mind you since it helped me get where I am but I will not do another round unless I have no alternative. But that's just me the thought of introducing all my favorite foods again after 21 days of 500 calories is just too much for me to handle for some reason lol
I completely agree with you!! I love the lifestyle you've established and the success it's brought. Knowledge and experience are great assets. I'm working through my metabolism, fitness, health and general weight/balance this year. Finding the right way to exercise, eat healthily and live well is my goal. Hcg won't be in my repertoire. It worked, but left a slower metabolism and accompanying weight re-gain in it's wake . I'm not sure if the damage is mor physical or mental with the restriction, but I'm confident I'll find a WOE that keeps my metabolism going while keeping my clothing fitting .

Toward that end, I'm going to read the "fast metabolism diet". It's not a quick weight loss plan. But I'm looking for a way of eating that will undo the damage of years of dieting and weight loss attempts... I'm sorely tempted to do a shake diet to lose weigh quickly, but then I'll be back in the same boat trying to maintain with a damaged metabolism. Sigh. It's not that big of a deal. But if I can manage to get this system back in balance I'll be happy!

I'm going to sit down and think about my goal for 2014, and reflect on 2013 . I'm richly blessed...that much I already know!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #1511
Big Yapper!

I thought you were already following a "fast metabolism" diet. Does it go by another name?

Be thankful that you are only a small distance to where you want to be, weight-wise. You've done pretty dog gone good, my friend. KUTGW. The new year will be bright, little lady.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #1512
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
WOE: hcg 2.0
Wow, great posts in your journal! I certainly am with you on the mental battle to do a quick weight loss plan vs. one that'll takes time...but I believe you're handling it the right way, with reflection and great thought. Whatever you decide to do, we're here to support you!
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #1513
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #1514
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Happy New Year!
What she said!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #1515
Major LCF Poster!

Happy New Year !!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #1516
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I thought you were already following a "fast metabolism" diet. Does it go by another name?

Be thankful that you are only a small distance to where you want to be, weight-wise. You've done pretty dog gone good, my friend. KUTGW. The new year will be bright, little lady.
Thanks sweet friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
Wow, great posts in your journal! I certainly am with you on the mental battle to do a quick weight loss plan vs. one that'll takes time...but I believe you're handling it the right way, with reflection and great thought. Whatever you decide to do, we're here to support you!
Thanks! I'm ever searching for that healthy balance btw. Contentment with what I've already accomplished and not getting lazy this close to "goal"! I need to gett some weight back off, but I'm enjoying my freedom too much right now .

Quote:
Happy New Year!
Thanks!! Same to you!!
Quote:
What she said!
You too!!
Quote:
Happy New Year !!
Thank you!!

We had a fun NYE-partied at my friends house and enjoyed some wine and great food (staying off the scale) then New Year's Day we shopped the great Dillsrds sale, then went hiking with good friends, then dinner and cards and some more fireworks! We really enjoyed these days with good friends and are looking ahead to a fun 2014.

I've been reading the Fast Metabolism Diet (Cheryl-this is really different than the Matt Stone stuff. Very restricted and structured, but supposed to work, although the online reviews are mixed). I don't like the idea of limiting so many things, planning, shopping and preparing specific foods each day, exercising differently each day, etc. I'm not sure I can wrap my head around it . I'm nearly done reading it and was planning to start it on Monday...but honestly I'd MUCH rather do Atkins again. It hasn't helped me drop much weight the last few times I've tried it, but it's so much easier for me to follow and live with. I wonder if it'd work better for me now that I've spent a few months building up my metabolism again? And I'm well carved up again too...

I'll finish reading the book and see how I feel about it. I do wish Atkins could help me drop back to the low 150's and keep my metabolism humming... I'm not saying that it can't, I haven't really tried it in recent years (since trying hcg 2 years ago)... Obviously I have options .

How about all of you? How are you starting off 2014?
Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #1517
Big Yapper!

I'm leaning LC but I think no matter which way I decide to eat for health and weight loss, I need to really focus on eating things that are organic or grass-fed type meats. It will cost more money but it might make a real difference in the end result.

Actually, on facebook the other day, I shared something that another friend had posted. It is very interesting and intriguing. There was a science project a school kid did. She had two identical small plants in a pot of soil and for nine days, she watered them differently. She took tap water and boiled half and microwaved the other half to the point of boiling. She then watered each plant once the water was cool again.

Nine days later, the microwaved water plant was completely dead! They're now saying that although microwaves don't produce irradiated food, the way they work deconstructs the molecular composition of food and drink so that the body doesn't recognize it and finds it foreign. Isn't that amazing? Makes me really stop and think about what I've been putting into my body.

So I'm going to take a much harder look at what I eat and drink.

Julie. I think you should go ahead and give Atkins another try. Since you're no longer in a big hurry and are interested in healing your metabolism, why not give it another go? See what happens over the course of the next two months. That's my vote, anyway.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #1518
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I'm leaning LC but I think no matter which way I decide to eat for health and weight loss, I need to really focus on eating things that are organic or grass-fed type meats. It will cost more money but it might make a real difference in the end result.

Actually, on facebook the other day, I shared something that another friend had posted. It is very interesting and intriguing. There was a science project a school kid did. She had two identical small plants in a pot of soil and for nine days, she watered them differently. She took tap water and boiled half and microwaved the other half to the point of boiling. She then watered each plant once the water was cool again.

Nine days later, the microwaved water plant was completely dead! They're now saying that although microwaves don't produce irradiated food, the way they work deconstructs the molecular composition of food and drink so that the body doesn't recognize it and finds it foreign. Isn't that amazing? Makes me really stop and think about what I've been putting into my body.

So I'm going to take a much harder look at what I eat and drink.

Julie. I think you should go ahead and give Atkins another try. Since you're no longer in a big hurry and are interested in healing your metabolism, why not give it another go? See what happens over the course of the next two months. That's my vote, anyway.
Yes, I'm leaning that direction too. Grass fed beef, organic chicken, non GMO foods (trader joes is good for this-all their brand foods are GMO free!). Knowledge is power, but responsibility is expensive!

Good morning!!

I'm checking in, planning to weigh in weekly, but honestly, I peek during the week so I'll have some idea where I am.

I'm going to do LC. I have the FMD app, which seems like a lifesaver for tha plan, but 2 things are making me wait...

1. My mom fell and ended up in the hospital yesterday, which means I'll be at the hospital a LOT the next few days...all day yesterday, for instance. Last year something similar happened and a whole month of my life got hijacked. I'm not sure I can do FMD while taking care of her... Lc I can do in my sleep. It's likely to be a rough few weeks .

2. Even though you're eating every few hours on the FMD it reminds me a lot if hcg... 4 oz of meat... Cooking w/ broth and a squeeze of lemon... Kind of low in calories...I'm a but leery of the low calories FOR ME. It's working really well for you guys and I really like the rotation-keep the body guessing idea, but I'm not going to try it, for now.

So, official day 1 weigh in, post month long carnage ... 173.4!! :scale: no where to go but down I suppose... The nice thing about LC after all the junk I've been eating, is that I'll have a nice water whoosh in the first few weeks which should help keep me motivated, and I can keep my coffee .

I hope you're all off to a good start this year!!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #1519
Big Yapper!

Julie, I'm sorry about your Mom. Was she seriously injured? I hope not, for both your sakes. Hang in there, sweetie. You're a good daughter and she's very blessed to have you. I hope she knows that.

Yep! Nowhere to go but down. ME TOO. I'll be joining you soon. I am dabbling in LC foods but haven't made the 100% switch-over yet. I got paid today so now I can go shopping. Whew! I had an unexpected auto debit charge from my gym. The annual facilities charge of almost $23. It left my bank account $1.72. I couldn't breathe, knowing that if any other debit came through, I would be charged $35 for each thing that did. I have set up all auto debit stuff to come out after the 3rd but obviously, things happen.

I used to have many more things on auto debit but now I only have the things that absolutely need to be, like the gym and the insurance for car and rent. Everything else gets paid when I pay them.

Interesting note: I was shopping on Craigslist last night for a convection/microwave combo. I found two for $75. Today I woke up to a more rational mind and I told them both that I think I should wait. Then one writes back and says they will drop it to $50! Well, I can't walk away from that. I emailed them back and said I could come tomorrow.

The reason I was looking at all is I was making a frozen chicken pot pie in the oven, which takes just over an hour (after you heat the oven to temperature.) With a microwave with 1100 watts or greater, you can cook them in there in about 10 minutes. My mom does that all the time. I tried nuking one in mine and it got ruined, as the box said it would be.

I won't be eating chicken pot pies on LC (at least not ones with a crust) if I go the LC route so I wish I hadn't contacted these people. I hope it's a good deal and there's nothing wrong with it. All it has is the turntable. No racks or things like that. I thought convection ovens had things like meat thermometers and stuff.

Sorry for blabbing on your journal. I guess I'll copy and paste all this over on MY journal. No point in writing it twice.

I hope you have a decent day, Julie. Hope things with your Mom are going to smooth out fast and not linger. (Enjoy your coffee!)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #1520
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Julie, I'm sorry about your Mom. Was she seriously injured? I hope not, for both your sakes. Hang in there, sweetie. You're a good daughter and she's very blessed to have you. I hope she knows that.

Yep! Nowhere to go but down. ME TOO. I'll be joining you soon. I am dabbling in LC foods but haven't made the 100% switch-over yet. I got paid today so now I can go shopping. Whew! I had an unexpected auto debit charge from my gym. The annual facilities charge of almost $23. It left my bank account $1.72. I couldn't breathe, knowing that if any other debit came through, I would be charged $35 for each thing that did. I have set up all auto debit stuff to come out after the 3rd but obviously, things happen.

I used to have many more things on auto debit but now I only have the things that absolutely need to be, like the gym and the insurance for car and rent. Everything else gets paid when I pay them.

Interesting note: I was shopping on Craigslist last night for a convection/microwave combo. I found two for $75. Today I woke up to a more rational mind and I told them both that I think I should wait. Then one writes back and says they will drop it to $50! Well, I can't walk away from that. I emailed them back and said I could come tomorrow.

The reason I was looking at all is I was making a frozen chicken pot pie in the oven, which takes just over an hour (after you heat the oven to temperature.) With a microwave with 1100 watts or greater, you can cook them in there in about 10 minutes. My mom does that all the time. I tried nuking one in mine and it got ruined, as the box said it would be.

I won't be eating chicken pot pies on LC (at least not ones with a crust) if I go the LC route so I wish I hadn't contacted these people. I hope it's a good deal and there's nothing wrong with it. All it has is the turntable. No racks or things like that. I thought convection ovens had things like meat thermometers and stuff.

Sorry for blabbing on your journal. I guess I'll copy and paste all this over on MY journal. No point in writing it twice.

I hope you have a decent day, Julie. Hope things with your Mom are going to smooth out fast and not linger. (Enjoy your coffee!)
Thanks. I have a convection oven, it's part of my regular double oven. I've only used it once or twice...it's supposed to cook a lot faster than the regular oven - air circulates etc... I'm not well versed on them (obviously) but I should learn how to use it!

I've gotten that close before on my bank account, not a comfy feeling at all!! Glad you made it .

My mom's on 2-3 IV antibiotics, and an anti fungal too. Not sure what they're all for, but I know she's got a UTI. It's looking like she'll be there a while... I hope when she's finally healed she'll still be strong enough to live alone.

So, we've got no groceries since I've been at the hospital for 2 days...eating out of the fridge/freezer. Made a LC chicken, broc and cheese casserole dish tonight with green beans, not too shabby for last minute.

Gonna do LC, but not strict Atkins... Keeping it really clean the first week at least, then with regular exercise I'll add more carbs (healthy ones) back in . That's my current plan .
Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #1521
Big Yapper!

She must be quite ill to need that many different meds. Didn't you say she fell? Would anyone have known she was sick if she hadn't fallen? That's scary. I hope she can live independently too. I know you're dreading that day.

I am having third thoughts about that micro/convection oven. Now I need a new battery for my car. It was dead as a doornail and it took a long time to get it to turn over with this wicked cold we're experiencing. Between that and one or two other things that I truly need, I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and tell them that I changed my mind. I have a microwave. I am not in need at the moment. I only have money enough for real needs.

The casserole sounds like it was good. WTG on winging it with what you had around. Best of luck with your new plan, Julie. It will be good. I'm sure of that.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #1522
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks. Go ahead and skip the oven. Batteries are a bit more necessary .

She likely fell b/c the UTI had been left untreated for too long. Apparently, from what I'm told, UTI's are pretty bad in the elderly, and the infection could have been going a while. So far, that's the only thing I've been told is "wrong" with her. The nurse said they won't release her until the course of antibiotics is done, but it seems a bit excessive to keep her all week? Hoping her insurance covers it all.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #1523
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, I'd agree with necessities first too.

My MIL also had trouble with UIT's weakening her. Then they found out she had a tumor that was causing them. I hope they check your DM thoroughly.
Julie, I hope you find that going lower carb is enough to start losing the wt. Even while 'life' happens.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #1524
Big Yapper!

I thought when a person had a UTI, the signs and symptoms were unmistakable. Surely she could tell that she was having burning when she peed and that she was going a lot more frequently. Oh, well. I hope they get her fixed up and that her insurance covers it all. If not, wowie.

Have a great day, Julie. A nice weekend, too. (If you can.) Make sure you do something enjoyable, just for you and your family. Trip to the snow zone?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #1525
Major LCF Poster!

Hope your mom feels better soon : Julie when you do low carb do you do induction levels or any certain grams of carbs ? I've had some constipation /digestive issues that I wrote in my log today and I think it came from the no carb or too low carb. So I'm trying to just keep my calories in line and some good carbs in but right now re-assessing myself how I want to eat as well. Just curious as to what your doing...
Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #1526
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Yep, I'd agree with necessities first too.

My MIL also had trouble with UIT's weakening her. Then they found out she had a tumor that was causing them. I hope they check your DM thoroughly.
Julie, I hope you find that going lower carb is enough to start losing the wt. Even while 'life' happens.
Thanks, they've tested her very thoroughly. She's doing well but she always gets weaker while in the hospital and that makes transitioning home so hard. Sigh.

Quote:
I thought when a person had a UTI, the signs and symptoms were unmistakable. Surely she could tell that she was having burning when she peed and that she was going a lot more frequently. Oh, well. I hope they get her fixed up and that her insurance covers it all. If not, wowie.

Have a great day, Julie. A nice weekend, too. (If you can.) Make sure you do something enjoyable, just for you and your family. Trip to the snow zone?
I guess b/c she's older the symptoms aren't as noticeable? Apparently they're quite debilitating in the elderly...news to me. Had a good weekend, thanks! No snow for us. Yet. Maybe in late jan?

Quote:
Hope your mom feels better soon : Julie when you do low carb do you do induction levels or any certain grams of carbs ? I've had some constipation /digestive issues that I wrote in my log today and I think it came from the no carb or too low carb. So I'm trying to just keep my calories in line and some good carbs in but right now re-assessing myself how I want to eat as well. Just curious as to what your doing...
I'm doing a general LC plan. I'm not following induction, since I'm keeping some fruit in and lots of salad. I think I'll do 1 higher carb day a week, with a sweet potato and more fruit maybe? I'd like to keep my body guessing, and I'm afraid my metabolism would slow if I stick to strict LC for too long. I've been doing some reading, Ben greenfield fitness in particular, about LC and metabolism, etc. as well as performance in exercise while LCing... I'm kind of making it up as I go . I'm not planning to overdo protein, but I'd like to balance my higher fat meals with very low carbs, then when I'm having the fruit either have it alone or with lower fat. At least that's my current plan. Subject to change... I've been plenty regular on it so far, lettuce, magnesium at night and my morning coffee all seem to help .

Today went well. Tried a new church with some friends, then we all went out to lunch together afterwards, with a third family who we both know that attends that church, and our neighbors/friends (my workout buddy) also we there so it turned into a mini party at Sweet Tomatoes!

I saw my mom tonight and my brother was also there, we discussed what'll happen when they release her, as they won't let her go home w/o 24/7 care-since she can't walk or move on her own. The alternative is back to the rehab she was in 2 years ago, but she didn't do well there and doesn't want to go back there. We're looking for a home health aid to help at home, but they're very expensive and not coved by insurance at all. Sigh. She really needs to find motivation to exercise more, even just walking across the room and back a few times would build up her strength. It's not going to work for her if she doesn't out some effort into it .

On that happy note I'm off to bed. Combat in the morning and first day back to schools for the girls. I'm behind on grading but well still start .
Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #1527
Big Yapper!

If she chooses to be that incapacitated, maybe it's time for you to look for an extended care facility, Julie. (Otherwise known as a nursing home.) Let her see what her future holds if she doesn't make some serious changes in her lifestyle. It's not mean, it's called "reality therapy."

I hope you enjoyed the new church. So nice you had a nice get-together afterward. Have a great day. I'm off to work soon. Will come back later and tell all about it. Due to the weather and having no volunteers today, it will be interesting.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #1528
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My MIL was weakened by the infection, plus the anti-biotics made food taste like metal, so she couldn't eat most things. She went to a rehab place, where they taught her how to use a pole to pull herself up... she'd been unable to get out of her bed, chair or toilet. It really helped a lot. She really didn't want to end up in the hospital again, so she worked hard. Hope your DM gets well soon!

How fun, going to lunch with so many friends! Did you enjoy the church? I was wondering if you found one you liked yet.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #1529
Big Yapper!!!!

Cheryl-she knows the next stop is assisted living, and I don't think it's that awful, for her. It'll kill us financially, so we've got to look into our options. With only 1 income it's hard enough paying her groceries, supplies and caregivers. I'm not sure how the st will play out, but I'm hoping not to face it for a few years.

Debby-it was a good church, our second visit there, but first message by the head pastor. It's a front runner, but dh wants to check out a few more still. Our friends are now looking with us, which is nice, as our kids will have instant friends if we end up somewhere together.

They released my mom today, and made it sound imminent. I jumped out of the shower, dressed quickly, drove all over creation to get her keys, then back to her house to pick up her car (she can't get into anyone's car bu her own ), then back to the hospital to wait 2 hours for them to actually release her. then load her into the car (no small feat), then home and the sloooww walk to the house. She wanted to use the wheel chair, but I challenged her to use the walker and spotted her. It took 20 minutes, and a small break in the kitchen to sit and regain her strength, then on to her chair. By then I was tired too. I went and got her some lunch, made a zillion phone calls, dropped off her rx, then finally hit the road home at 5:15, 6 hours later! My brother is there now and her friend (former caregiver) agreed to come get her to bed.

I hate leaving the girls that long, but they were so good and sweet . God provided a caregiver, in His perfect way. She's my friend's mom, a retired and bored RN. She lives a bit far from mom, but is coming tomorrow. She'll stay all day, and make sure she's safe and cared for. She'll help her to bed and we'll see how much more care it'll take. Probably a few days...

So, I'm exhausted, did my combat class this morning before the insanity hit, and am happy to be home! Made dinner, fed the fam, drove dd to vball practice. Whew! I'm beat!!

Sorry to dump that on you, just needed to get that off my chest. My mom has always been challenging for me, and can be demanding and not too appreciative. I do love her though .
Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #1530
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's cool, your friends are also looking. Going with you.

How old is your DM? Its sounding so much like my MIL. Hope you can get some help from the state for her care.