Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #1171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hi Julie!
So good to hear from you! Hope you have a great time with your friends!
Awesome that you're keeping up with the exercise!
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #1172
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
great to see you! have a wonderful time back home. try and focus on the weather and your loved ones. the rest of it is what it is. glad you're enjoying the tortoise. they sure are pretty!
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #1173
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
I had a great weekend!! Perfect weather, lovely friends , good time w. my brother and his family and it was just one wave of happy visits after another!! I loved it!!

I ate myself silly, even got in a 3 mile fast walk w. my BFF . No regrets, I had lots of yummy PA stuff-good Dunkin donuts, cheese steaks, crab fries and cheese sauce at Chickie and Petes, Kandy Kakes, hoagies, pie, etc. It was so much fun!!

I am happy to be home w. my family again, and did my Zumba this morning. I'll go again tomorrow and then my weight training class on Thurs. Trying to keep the workouts in my routine. I'll be re-evaluating my diet the next week or so. I'm leaning toward LC again, but may go more of a Paleo route. I wonder if now that I'm getting used to the exercise I could go back to LC. I didn't have enough energy when I was eating LC and getting back to the gym. Maybe now I could try it again? I'm gonna research paleo and see what that's like. I'd like a balance, but can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Maintaining in the high 160's while eating like a madwoman, not all bad. But 15lbs up from where I plan to be. I will get there. Slow and steady, but for now I'm not even losing slowly!! Exercise does not equal weight loss, but hopefully I can minimize my eating and get the scale going back down.
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #1174
Big Yapper!

home! Glad you had a fabulous time with family and friends and lots of good eats.

Didn't you say your temperatures and stuff were better when you ate higher carb? I'd stick with whatever makes your temp close to normal. JMHO.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #1175
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
So glad you had a wonderful weekend with family and friends!! That is what is important! You are making great progress with your exercise, so don't sweat the weight too much... (easier to say than do!)

Have a great week ahead!
Deb294evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #1176
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
home! Glad you had a fabulous time with family and friends and lots of good eats.

Didn't you say your temperatures and stuff were better when you ate higher carb? I'd stick with whatever makes your temp close to normal. JMHO.
Thanks! Yes, the higher carbs seem to make my temps higher. They also make the scale higher . I'm working on getting the right balance .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb294evr View Post
So glad you had a wonderful weekend with family and friends!! That is what is important! You are making great progress with your exercise, so don't sweat the weight too much... (easier to say than do!)

Have a great week ahead!
Thanks! I'm trying to keep that scale in mind, but not obsess . All a work in progress... At least I'm getting fit!! How's Hawaii coming? I'd love to join you!

Remembering 9/11/01 today. I was waking up from anesthesia after a surgery from my first miscarriage. I lived in Philadelphia at the time, and we were right in the middle of all 3 crash sites. Scary, sad day all around . Even all these years later, it's so hard to wrap my head around it.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #1177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
hi, julie.. delurking a second...

have you considered eating higher carb, but only carbs from all veggies and fruit, some dairy...no grains?

i have unknowingly become primal. unknowingly meaning, i decided it was time to change my diet and start exercising...and discovered the primal blueprint and found that i am following all the principles, both food wise and exercise wise and didn't even realize it. i feel better than i ever have and am losing inches...i don't care at all about the scale as lifting and exercise will skew that. to know if i am making progress, i monitor the mirror and the way my clothes fit only.

if interested, check out mark's daily apple.

anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #1178
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
hi, julie.. delurking a second...

have you considered eating higher carb, but only carbs from all veggies and fruit, some dairy...no grains?

i have unknowingly become primal. unknowingly meaning, i decided it was time to change my diet and start exercising...and discovered the primal blueprint and found that i am following all the principles, both food wise and exercise wise and didn't even realize it. i feel better than i ever have and am losing inches...i don't care at all about the scale as lifting and exercise will skew that. to know if i am making progress, i monitor the mirror and the way my clothes fit only.

if interested, check out mark's daily apple.

anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.
Wow! How cool is that? I was just thinking about skipping the bread and oatmeal, and going to more LC, but with healthy carbs added in most days to fuel my workouts. Interesting! I'll have to read up on that. Not sure what paleo is, but are they similar? I'm rethinking the choice of carbs, although fun to eat, I don't think the gluten is agreeing w/ me. Thanks! I so appreciate your input!!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #1179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

paleo and primal are very similar in that the only difference is primal is no dairy for sure and possibly no nuts, can't remember on that.

i was in an eat whatever mode for a few months, well, most of the summer. and got to my breaking point. i'd HAD it. and it was literally an overnight strength that i can only credit to God. i truly feel i had somewhat of a binge eating disorder. and i feel delivered from than more each day. when he could see that i was ready to be serious, he took away the desire to eat the crap. for which i am so very thankful. anyway, that was a bit of a sidebar, i guess....i needed to type that out apparently.

with primal, they do not feel that carbs from veggies (potato, sweet potato, even rice) should be avoided especially when you are following the fitness guidelines they suggest. so i would say you can still eat higher carb for your metabolism/temp, just different forms of carbs than overt wheat/bread/etc...kwim?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #1180

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186.6/169-mini goal
WOE: very low carb
Hey Julie, glad to see you had a wonderful time!! Yes, keeping the exercise is great. Dazyguyl, interesting information
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #1181
Big Yapper!

Quote:
paleo and primal are very similar in that the only difference is primal is no dairy for sure and possibly no nuts, can't remember on that.

i was in an eat whatever mode for a few months, well, most of the summer. and got to my breaking point. i'd HAD it. and it was literally an overnight strength that i can only credit to God. i truly feel i had somewhat of a binge eating disorder. and i feel delivered from than more each day. when he could see that i was ready to be serious, he took away the desire to eat the crap. for which i am so very thankful. anyway, that was a bit of a sidebar, i guess....i needed to type that out apparently.

with primal, they do not feel that carbs from veggies (potato, sweet potato, even rice) should be avoided especially when you are following the fitness guidelines they suggest. so i would say you can still eat higher carb for your metabolism/temp, just different forms of carbs than overt wheat/bread/etc...kwim?
So great to see you again, Dazy! It's been eons. I'm so glad you're in a good groove and feel God has delivered you from the binging. I need that same deliverance and reading what you wrote has given me hope. Maybe that's why you felt the need to write about it. God works that way.

The Primal thing sounds very logical but it seems like nuts would definitely be included. I guess I'll have to look into this some more. I recall quite a few years back when I had just bought my house, I was in a good groove where I wasn't eating any flour products and no sugar (however, I recall drinking those sugary cappuccino's at Cumberland Farms) and I was losing weight well. It was LC my way, I guess. I felt liberated from all fast food and junk food and I could have done that for the rest of my life. I wish I could recall more of what I was doing back then. I'm certain I didn't keep a food journal back then.

So you're kicking it in the gym or doing workouts at home? That's so awesome to hear how well you're doing. KUTGW! I hope you stick around with us.

Julie! Hope you're having an amazing day.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #1182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ugh, I just erases my whole post

It's good to see you Cheryl. I'm here on the board reading everyday, just don't post much.

You're right, God does work in awesome ways. You'll get there, Cheryl

Yes, nuts are included in primal, I wasn't sure if paleo allows nuts.

my exercise includes:

Walking briskly 3-5 hrs a week. Not power walking, not leisure walking...just steady and deliberate.

3 days a week I lift heavy. Biceps, triceps, modified dead lifts, squats holding a 30lb dumb bell, crunches.

2 days a week I so 6, 20 sec sprints with 2 of the 6 sprinting uphill. Never thought I'd run, but my motivation is they the roof lately, so thankful for this.

and that's it. One thing stressed in primal blueprint is no chronic hard cardio as it can actually hinder weight loss and toning. So I cringe a bit when I read about your hard cardio, Julie. I had a couple weeks that I felt stalled (mirror unfavorable, clothes not fitting like I like) so I cut back my walking a bit and the intensity of my walks as well as increasing my food intake. I'm now starting to feel like things are back in slimming mode again. So check out the info on mark's site regarding fitness, it's quite fascinating.

Anyway, sorry to go on...
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #1183
Big Yapper!

Oh no! I hate when you have a good post going and you lose it somehow. I've come close to doing that a few times but thankfully I figured out if I hit the other arrow key at the top of the window, it takes me back to where I was. Thank you for writing me on what you're doing. It sounds like a great plan and fits you perfectly.

I am watching The Biggest Loser on Amazon and Youtube and now I stumbled upon another Jillian Michaels program called "Losing It." I never heard of it before and so that's what I'm contemplating. Good Lord; she is 100% into cardio. She pushes people to do sprints and stuff the way you say you're doing but she is all about cardio. Not just weights and resistance. I don't know what to believe anymore, but doing anything other than what I've been doing will be a vast improvement!

Don't apologize for "going on"! Bring it! Like I said, it's wonderful to see you again. I hope you keep posting.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #1184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Julie!
I'm just checking in... we were on a road-trip for 6 days... so far behind!
Sounds like you're still working out! That's great! When you're ready to cut back on the food it should go really well.

I discovered on the trip that if I eat fruit instead of my other carbs I do really well. Its an adjustment, but pretty nice right now, with peaches & nectarines in season.

How's dd doing?

See you later!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #1185
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Thanks!! I did some adding on marks page yesterday. I like it! The only challenge will be the dairy! I don't know if I can give up my cream. I was reading about it and understand why, but I may end up w/ the one that let's you keep dairy . I "get" the indulgent mode, as ive been there for a while now myself! I'm at the way top of my range, and although I feel more fit, I am fatter too . I'm ready to give up the goodies and go back to healthy eating. Less dining out, more planning and cooking-it's better for all of us. I'm even planning a garden, so I can grow my own veggies .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
Hey Julie, glad to see you had a wonderful time!! Yes, keeping the exercise is great. Dazyguyl, interesting information
Thanks! How are you? I need to go catch up in your journal. I'd like fitness to be my normal life. We're all getting there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
So great to see you again, Dazy! It's been eons. I'm so glad you're in a good groove and feel God has delivered you from the binging. I need that same deliverance and reading what you wrote has given me hope. Maybe that's why you felt the need to write about it. God works that way.

The Primal thing sounds very logical but it seems like nuts would definitely be included. I guess I'll have to look into this some more. I recall quite a few years back when I had just bought my house, I was in a good groove where I wasn't eating any flour products and no sugar (however, I recall drinking those sugary cappuccino's at Cumberland Farms) and I was losing weight well. It was LC my way, I guess. I felt liberated from all fast food and junk food and I could have done that for the rest of my life. I wish I could recall more of what I was doing back then. I'm certain I didn't keep a food journal back then.

So you're kicking it in the gym or doing workouts at home? That's so awesome to hear how well you're doing. KUTGW! I hope you stick around with us.

Julie! Hope you're having an amazing day.
It's payday, which is always good.

Quote:
Ugh, I just erases my whole post

It's good to see you Cheryl. I'm here on the board reading everyday, just don't post much.

You're right, God does work in awesome ways. You'll get there, Cheryl

Yes, nuts are included in primal, I wasn't sure if paleo allows nuts.

my exercise includes:

Walking briskly 3-5 hrs a week. Not power walking, not leisure walking...just steady and deliberate.

3 days a week I lift heavy. Biceps, triceps, modified dead lifts, squats holding a 30lb dumb bell, crunches.

2 days a week I so 6, 20 sec sprints with 2 of the 6 sprinting uphill. Never thought I'd run, but my motivation is they the roof lately, so thankful for this.

and that's it. One thing stressed in primal blueprint is no chronic hard cardio as it can actually hinder weight loss and toning. So I cringe a bit when I read about your hard cardio, Julie. I had a couple weeks that I felt stalled (mirror unfavorable, clothes not fitting like I like) so I cut back my walking a bit and the intensity of my walks as well as increasing my food intake. I'm now starting to feel like things are back in slimming mode again. So check out the info on mark's site regarding fitness, it's quite fascinating.

Anyway, sorry to go on...
Well, I just deleted my post ! Grrrr! Maybe its catching? I did read about the exercise recommendations, I've never been a big cardio person, but enjoy the Zumba and kickboxing. I think I will drop those down to 2x/week (they both have intervals built in so shouldn't be too much) and increase my weight training another day. I already planned to add another body pump class (really kicks my tush with all over weight training). I think that might work better and be more in line w/ marks plan. Thanks for sharing what you do! I was a heavy weighs girl for years, and need to get back into more of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Hi Julie!
I'm just checking in... we were on a road-trip for 6 days... so far behind!
Sounds like you're still working out! That's great! When you're ready to cut back on the food it should go really well.

I discovered on the trip that if I eat fruit instead of my other carbs I do really well. Its an adjustment, but pretty nice right now, with peaches & nectarines in season.

How's dd doing?

See you later!
another road trip? How fun!! Glad you're figuring out what works best for you! Dd's doing well. Another week or so and she should be cleared for running. We'll see. Thanks for asking!

I skipped the gym today, I don't want to over train, plus I don't like that attack class . I'm back to LC. But not induction, shooting for 50g/day the first few days. I'll be adding some fruit in, and not restrict veggies. Shooting for clean, organic (when possible) whole foods as much as possible. I'll save a sweet potato for 1 day a week. I'm just not ready to give up my coffee/cream/as yet . I'm also not going to weigh very often. I'm sure if iI keep it clean, I'll get back down where I should be. I need to accept that eating more grains (bread, baked goods, rice, fries, etc) isn't a lifestyle I can manage. The cravings and binges are bad. But. Hopefully, going toward a healthier balance, and keeping fruits and veggies in will give me energy to workout and keep me from gaining. We'll see. Off I go!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #1186
Big Yapper!

Sounds like a good plan, Julie. Have an excellent day. Glad you got paid! And glad your dd is doing so much better. Thank you, Lord!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #1187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

dairy in moderation is ok on primal...it's paleo that says no to dairy...so keep your cream in your coffee!! i would be sad without my coffee in the morning.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #1188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
another road trip? How fun!! Glad you're figuring out what works best for you! Dd's doing well. Another week or so and she should be cleared for running. We'll see. Thanks for asking!

I skipped the gym today, I don't want to over train, plus I don't like that attack class . I'm back to LC. But not induction, shooting for 50g/day the first few days. I'll be adding some fruit in, and not restrict veggies. Shooting for clean, organic (when possible) whole foods as much as possible. I'll save a sweet potato for 1 day a week. I'm just not ready to give up my coffee/cream/as yet . I'm also not going to weigh very often. I'm sure if iI keep it clean, I'll get back down where I should be. I need to accept that eating more grains (bread, baked goods, rice, fries, etc) isn't a lifestyle I can manage. The cravings and binges are bad. But. Hopefully, going toward a healthier balance, and keeping fruits and veggies in will give me energy to workout and keep me from gaining. We'll see. Off I go!
Sounds good Julie, I wouldn't be able to stay away from weighing daily though... I find that if I do that, I "relax" too much. Weighing daily make me realize I need to be "careful" today.
I'm drying some kale in my new dehydrator. Also cooked up a bunch of yummy swiss chard I do love my veggies! A garden would be a great thing for you there! The kiddo's can help & learn so much from it too.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #1189
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
dairy in moderation is ok on primal...it's paleo that says no to dairy...so keep your cream in your coffee!! i would be sad without my coffee in the morning.
Yay!! My coffee is my breakfast-and I'm kind of an addict . I started yesterday!! Working on increasing my veggies, and now (that i can still enjoy my coffee) I think it'll work. I'm not overdoing it on the carbs yet. I'm sticking to lower carb for now, but with lots of veggies. About 40-50g carbs yesterday. Next week I'll add more fruit. I'm afraid if I keep my carbs too high as I transition I'll be really hungry. We'll see. Balancing the fat with higher carbs from fruit will take some getting used to. I think I'll save the starcher veggies (sweet potato!) for a once a week treat. I think this will be a good woe for me!

Debby-thanks! I need to work on my veggies more. Planning a big salad for lunch everyday helps. Love my spinach! Ad green leaf lettuce. kale is so good for you, I need to get some of that in there too!

Thanks Cheryl! Hope you're enjoying your Fall weather!!

I'm sick . I used to get a bad cold every time I flew (for work or pleasure) and I fought it all week. I think I lost . I'm stuffy, and my throat is sore. I didn't sleep well, got up at 5 since I wasn't sleeping anyway. Sigh. I'll skip my class at the gym today. Hopefully by Monday I'll be back to feeling good! I can't complain, I could have it much worse, it's just annoying
Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #1190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yay!! My coffee is my breakfast-and I'm kind of an addict . I started yesterday!! Working on increasing my veggies, and now (that i can still enjoy my coffee) I think it'll work. I'm not overdoing it on the carbs yet. I'm sticking to lower carb for now, but with lots of veggies. About 40-50g carbs yesterday. Next week I'll add more fruit. I'm afraid if I keep my carbs too high as I transition I'll be really hungry. We'll see. Balancing the fat with higher carbs from fruit will take some getting used to. I think I'll save the starcher veggies (sweet potato!) for a once a week treat. I think this will be a good woe for me!

Debby-thanks! I need to work on my veggies more. Planning a big salad for lunch everyday helps. Love my spinach! Ad green leaf lettuce. kale is so good for you, I need to get some of that in there too!

Thanks Cheryl! Hope you're enjoying your Fall weather!!

I'm sick . I used to get a bad cold every time I flew (for work or pleasure) and I fought it all week. I think I lost . I'm stuffy, and my throat is sore. I didn't sleep well, got up at 5 since I wasn't sleeping anyway. Sigh. I'll skip my class at the gym today. Hopefully by Monday I'll be back to feeling good! I can't complain, I could have it much worse, it's just annoying
you got this!

so sorry you're not feeling well...not fun at all.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #1191
Big Yapper!

I used to get sick when I flew, too. I was always so vigilant to wash my hands and use sanitizer gel and all that stuff but sometimes it must just be breathing the same air as everyone else on the plane. I'm sorry you're feeling so icky. Maybe a drive to Prescott to get into a Fall frame of mind might help you get over the hump. Dress warm!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #1192
Big Yapper!!!!

Cheryl-thanks I wish I'd done that (Prescott)! I just did our normal lives and am still sick . I skipped the gym today and hope to go tomorrow. I don't sound that bad but feel bad. Maybe a nap...

Thanks Carrie! I like it!

I'm still plugging away. Weight is in the mid 160's, which is ok for now. It better not stay there!! But, I like what I've been reading on Primal, it's a lot like OWL Atkins. Not as much artificial stuff (sweeteners, frankenfoods) and more about whole, natural meat, veggies and fruits. All good stuff and I'm looking to drop some weight and then eat healthy forever. I'm not gonna' do it quickly, but I want to do it. I'm ready to let go of the baked goods and junk. There will certainly be times when I have some down the road, but they'll be few and far between. I like being healthy and plan to stay that way. It's hard to switch my mindset from weight loss (which has been my lifelong battle) to healthy and fit. I prefer that, but it's not a simple switch.

Have a good day all!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #1193

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
Get better soon Julie!!

I love the plan you are doing, and that is what I will eating at goal and beyond. It is a great lifestyle and healthy!!!!!
Deb294evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #1194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm still plugging away. Weight is in the mid 160's, which is ok for now. It better not stay there!! But, I like what I've been reading on Primal, it's a lot like OWL Atkins. Not as much artificial stuff (sweeteners, frankenfoods) and more about whole, natural meat, veggies and fruits. All good stuff and I'm looking to drop some weight and then eat healthy forever. I'm not gonna' do it quickly, but I want to do it. I'm ready to let go of the baked goods and junk. There will certainly be times when I have some down the road, but they'll be few and far between. I like being healthy and plan to stay that way. It's hard to switch my mindset from weight loss (which has been my lifelong battle) to healthy and fit. I prefer that, but it's not a simple switch.
Have a good day all!
Sounds like my diet... probably different... I should read up on it. Always good to get ideas. I think you're really heading the right direction!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #1195
Big Yapper!

Feel better, cutie. Rest! Maybe all the hard workouts have depleted you in some way. You taking vitos and drinking electrolyte-replacement stuff? Don't neglect those little details.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #1196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Julie,
I was just trying to figure out the primal diet. Looks/sounds like dairy & grains are "out", is that right? Like cream for coffee & oatbran? It looks good though, if I wasn't addicted to coffee.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #1197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

paleo is no nuts/no dairy....primal allows them.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #1198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
paleo is no nuts/no dairy....primal allows them.
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #1199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #1200
Big Yapper!

Then Primal Happiness is finding something you can live with that both makes you healthy and content.

Julie! I hope you're feeling much better today. Please check in when you can.