Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #1141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hey there... All these abbreviations leave me in the dark... is there a place that tells you what they mean? GY, GYCD, etc... sorry I just can't seem to remember what they mean. Are they HGC terms? Thanks anyone for the help.

Last edited by DebbyL; 08-21-2013 at 08:49 PM..
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #1142
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: verbqueen
Stats: 224/163
WOE: LC/HF, for now
I'm not Julie, but I can help you out until she gets here! GY is used all over LCF as an abbreviation for Greek yogurt, and a CD is a correction day. (That IS an hcg term--a day when you limit yourself to controlled amounts of only one food, to correct a small weight gain.) Thus, a GYCD is a Greek yogurt correction day. People also do steak correction days, apple correction days, etc.
verbqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #1143
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Thanks Jessica! That's exactly what I would have said I do GyCDs usually on .monday, to clean out my bad weekend eating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
^^^^ What she said! I am so bad about that myself. Is Zumba like a dance class? It sounds like a lot of fun. At my gym, they offer one Aqua Zumba class each Friday evening. I thought that would be so fun to try. On my current schedule, I'll be working every other Friday so I can at least make that class twice a month. I really need to shut up and "put up."

You're really killing it at the gym, Julie. How does it make you feel? Are you jazzed? You sound jazzed. Sleep well.
Zumba is a fun, dance aerobics class set to Latin music mostly. Ours is incorporating other music styles now. It's quick and sweaty, but a fun way to burn up some calories. I am pretty excited to be back to working out. I've nev done classes to much and like it. It makes me do a full hour, and with my friend there, it's fun too! I am trying to remind myself that I won't see results, especially on the scale, right away. But I find myself weighing in hoping to be the exception to the rule . Glad you'll be heading back to your gym!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Zumba has got to be a lot of fun! The music is so motivating... I have only seen it on Biggest Loser & tried it while watching them... course they couldn't do the moves right (nor me)... but they had a blast anyway!

Talk helps... talk yourself into it!
Yes, lots of psyching myself up for things! It is really fun! The music makes you want to move, and the people in the class are friendly and non-judge mental. I'm sure I look ridiculous at times, but I don't care! It feels good to move, and I feel great afterwards.

Quote:
Hey there... All these abbreviations leave me in the dark... is there a place that tells you what they mean? GY, GYCD, etc... sorry I just can't seem to remember what they mean. Are they HGC terms? Thanks anyone for the help.
ITA (that's i totally agree) lots of abbreviations around here. I'm a lazy typer so I use what I can to type less .

Did Body pump today-which is an hour of group weight training all over body workout. whew! i chose to use lower weights today, as I am just starting with this class. but, it's a great workout! My bff came today to try the class too, and she liked it. it would be more fun if she joined too!

I'm plugging away, stuck at 164.2. Trying to be patient, and focusing on building strength, stamina and fitness. This is new for me. I've always wanted to exercise to lose weight, but I know that's not gonna cut it, especially for metabolically, hypothyroid and hormonally imbalanced me! But, it's coming along and eventually (6months?) should improve my body shape and metabolic rate. That's the plan at least . We'll see. I do feel tighter already and my arms are looking pretty good. It'll be nice to really be able to see the changes.

Have a great weekend all! Tomorrow is a bit crazy so I doubt I'll be online. Sleep well, get some exercise and think about what you're eating and drinking.
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #1144
Blabbermouth!!!

Ya know, Julie--in my experience (and I used to be the aerobics class addict in the 90s--completely with Jane Fonda leg warmers and head bands and all, haha!), exercise will ultimately change the way you eat, and that, combined with the higher metabolic rate, will result in weight loss. You will start getting into this mindset of "wait, I just spent two hours at the gym today! Why on earth would I undo that by eating this ice cream?" and it won't be easy to overeat! You are doing GREAT!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #1145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbqueen View Post
I'm not Julie, but I can help you out until she gets here! GY is used all over LCF as an abbreviation for Greek yogurt, and a CD is a correction day. (That IS an hcg term--a day when you limit yourself to controlled amounts of only one food, to correct a small weight gain.) Thus, a GYCD is a Greek yogurt correction day. People also do steak correction days, apple correction days, etc.
Thank you! Very interesting.
So, you eat Greek yogurt all day?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #1146
Blabbermouth!!!

Yep! I've actually done it, while on hcg P3, and lost 2 pounds every time. Weird, huh?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #1147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenmay78
Stats: 284.6/244/199
WOE: Weight loss surgery/IE
Start Date: June 10, 2013
Hi Julie! Just wanted to stop by and wish you well this weekend!

I absolutely love body pump and zumba. If you get an opportunity you should try the cycling class called RPM. The sweat just pours out of you! Love it

I'm so happy for you and cheering you on with the exercise and better choices.

Have a great weekend
Jenmay78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #1148
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Trying to get caught back up on all of your journals.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #1149
Big Yapper!!!!

Jessica-thanks! I was a big olivia newton john fan- lets get physical... I know it will take time. I really need to just stay committed to the classes, and eating more healthfully and weigh once a week. I'll start that on Wed. I think. The body pump class on .thurs makes me retain water from sore muscles.

Debby-yep, full fat Greek yogurt all day. I do 4 servings of 8oz each w/ some Splenda and berries. and it usually gets my insides all straightened out and lose some water retention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmay78 View Post
Hi Julie! Just wanted to stop by and wish you well this weekend!

I absolutely love body pump and zumba. If you get an opportunity you should try the cycling class called RPM. The sweat just pours out of you! Love it

I'm so happy for you and cheering you on with the exercise and better choices.

Have a great weekend
Thanks! The rpm class is free next week. It's an additional $10 normally. I may give that a whirl . You have the same gym? The classes are so good for me since I'd usually stop after 30 min of boring cardio on my own. I was hoping for some weight loss/scale dropping from all the sweating I'm doing, but not yet. Time will tell . Hope you're having w great weekend!

Cheryl-thanks! I need to do the same

I'm way up on the scale today . Bumped up yesterday from sore muscles, then another few lbs from too much food yesterday I knew I overdid It, but a lot of it was carrots and cucumbers at 11:00 last night. I'm going to weekly weigh ins - I think Wed. Now. Should minimize the roller coaster feeling I get with this fluctuation. I need to try on some jeans and see if the sizes are improving at least. My arms show muscle definition my niece was impressed by my biceps I'll take any encouragement !!

Hope you're all doing well. God has been so gracious to me, I am practicing my attitude of gratitude and so thankful for His abundant blessings.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #1150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Julie,
I bought some today & may try a GY day next week.

That's so good... practicing an attitude of gratitude. We really do have so much to be thankful for! God is so awesome. Funny how much better things are when we focus on what is good.

How's DD's leg doing? is she getting around better now?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #1151
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Julie! The gym that I used to go to had those classes. I will probably join again once I start the new job..I cannot do the boring cardio machines any longer. Like you, after 30 minutes I get bored and need to do something else

The RPM class should have some seat padding that you can use. I definitely suggest the padded seat if you are not used to a bicycle seat or your behind will be sore Just thinking about that class makes me so happy. It's challenging and you will pour sweat my friend

Let me know how it goes. I'm cheering for you Julie!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...g-journey.html
Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #1152
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi Julie! The gym that I used to go to had those classes. I will probably join again once I start the new job..I cannot do the boring cardio machines any longer. Like you, after 30 minutes I get bored and need to do something else

The RPM class should have some seat padding that you can use. I definitely suggest the padded seat if you are not used to a bicycle seat or your behind will be sore Just thinking about that class makes me so happy. It's challenging and you will pour sweat my friend

Let me know how it goes. I'm cheering for you Julie!
Thanks Jen! I so appreciate the encouragement! I want to try that class. my friend said it really transformed het butt and thighs . I really need that!!!!

Quote:
Thanks Julie,
I bought some today & may try a GY day next week.

That's so good... practicing an attitude of gratitude. We really do have so much to be thankful for! God is so awesome. Funny how much better things are when we focus on what is good.

How's DD's leg doing? is she getting around better now?
Her leg is doing pretty well. she's not allowed to run for 4 more weeks (maybe 5 I can't remember). But, she's so happy to be crutch free! We're looking ahead to volleyball club try-outs Nov. 1. We'll see how that goes, not sure it's a good idea, but we'll ask her surgeon.

Did Body combat today. Sweat my rear off!! Whew!! I am a mess-need a shower!! Got a nice compliment at church yesterday about looking thinner! I was way up on the scale, so it really encouraged me. The exercise thing really messes w. the scale but I'm such a dreamer I keep expecting it to go down. Maybe eventually. But, truthfully, I'm enjoying adding the healthy carbs back in and if I can maintain here for a while and tone up, I'll be content w. that. Eventually I'll have to drop cals, or try rotating them or something to get the scale down more. Maybe even a modified hcg round to strip some fat off? I'm not sure yet. I'm not gonna' rush into anything else for a while. I'm improving every day at the gym and am pretty happy w. that. I feel stronger and more fit already (week 4 starts today). I will be home from Thurs to Mon, so I'll miss 3 workouts. I hope to add some walking or something while there, at least dancing at the wedding on Sat. Won't be the same as the classes, but I'll be right back at it on Tues. the 10, when I am home. I don't want to lose my momentum!!

My friend at church was doing 4 days a week of intense boot camp and said by month 3 the scale finally started to go down!! I am not keen on 3 months of no losses, but she really looks great. I will stick with it and see where I land! So, the end of Aug will be my first month down. By halloween I should be seeing more results. If not, I'll re-evaluate then .

Had a fun, overeating weekend. But the scale is only up to 167 this morning. I seem to range from 164-167 these days. Not ideal, but somewhat stable so I can't complain. I'd like that to be 20lbs down, but hopefully that'll happen eventually. I'm healing my metabolism by eating more cals and higher carbs while working out. The theory is that my metabolism should be revving up and burning more calories. Hopefully the deficit I am creating will eventually show up on the scale. For now, practicing contentment on the whole .
Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #1153
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Julie!!

Good for you doing Body Combat!!! I think I did that class once and never went back LOL!

So proud of you for sticking through the workouts. They really do make you feel better inside and out.

I am around the same time frame as you...I think i'm on week 6. I'm averaging 1.5-2 lb losses a week. A few weeks I've seen a gain. Definitely keep going and firm that bottom
Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #1154
Big Yapper!

You ladies are so inspirational! WTG on all your hard work, sweat and determination. They still say "calories in, calories out" (especially when you listen to The Biggest Loser guru's) so I can't imagine how it can be so hard to drop on the scale with all that effort. I hope you start seeing amazing results, Julie.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #1155
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
That is wonderful that you are stable!! AND you can eat!! I love the fact that you are giving it a few months, and I think that is what I will also do. Yes, I won't lose quickly, but my body is getting stronger, and my metabolism is faster already.. I can feel it.. I know you will too!!

Have a fantastic Tuesday!
Deb294evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #1156
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi Julie!!

Good for you doing Body Combat!!! I think I did that class once and never went back LOL!

So proud of you for sticking through the workouts. They really do make you feel better inside and out.

I am around the same time frame as you...I think i'm on week 6. I'm averaging 1.5-2 lb losses a week. A few weeks I've seen a gain. Definitely keep going and firm that bottom
I'd love that kind of loss!! Heck, at this point, I'd be happy w. 0.5 lb/week!! But, I'm hoping that I'm building muscle and losing fat while I'm working out. That's the theory anyway . I actually like that class . I feel strong :weights:

Quote:
You ladies are so inspirational! WTG on all your hard work, sweat and determination. They still say "calories in, calories out" (especially when you listen to The Biggest Loser guru's) so I can't imagine how it can be so hard to drop on the scale with all that effort. I hope you start seeing amazing results, Julie.
I wish that equation applied to me. I could totally do that!! I'm showing a 2lb a week deficit on the scale (calorie wise) and am not losing at all. But, I know it will take time and hope that I am building muscle and losing fat so the scale is unchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb294evr View Post
That is wonderful that you are stable!! AND you can eat!! I love the fact that you are giving it a few months, and I think that is what I will also do. Yes, I won't lose quickly, but my body is getting stronger, and my metabolism is faster already.. I can feel it.. I know you will too!!

Have a fantastic Tuesday!
Thanks! Thanks! I feel good and am sure my metabolism is faster as eating this many carbs would have made me gain like gangbusters before. I'm hoping to normalize my eating and get away from the carb sensitivity I had. I'd love to be able to rotate my calories a bit (in a few months) and get the scale moving. Hopefully by then, all the water fluctuation from sore muscles will have settled down. We'll see.

Well, while I was leaving the gym today (Zumba!!!), I was on the phone w/ dd(13). She was saying good-bye to dh as he was leaving for work and he banged his car into the garage door!! It wasn't done opening when he backed out!! So, he got out and checked on the damage (which seems minimal) and while out of his car, he looked toward our front door (which we rarely use). A few business cards had been left in the door and evidently fell to the ground. He looked down and there was a small tortoise on our door step. She's about 4.5 inches long and was behind a hanging decorative slate I have leaning on our front step (ironically it says "welcome" and she took that literally!).

So, we now have a little African sulcatta tortoise. She's adorable and has a really cute personality - friendly and affectionate, which I wouldn't expect from a tortoise. Dd(13) has been asking for a turtle/tortoise for years and is so excited about our new friend. Dh and I are less enthusiastic, but w/ all she's been through this year and will yet face, we think we'll let her keep it. Her very-belated birthday party is Friday and this seems like a nice present.

I'll post pics soon. That's the highlight of my day.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #1157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Julie
You're doing so good! That's great that you're seeing it through. The pay-offs will happen!
I thought I'd pass on something I learned this week. People with Thyroid conditions burn on average 200 calories less than the charts predict. Our bodies are more efficient! So, to lose wt, or maintain, it has to be 200 under what those charts say. This is very helpful to me, because it explains why my wt. started creeping up when I went back to normal calories. Of course, I'm doing what you're doing too... working on building up muscle, so that number can rise.

Sorry about your DH's accident. But that's so cool about the friendly turtle!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #1158

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186.6/169-mini goal
WOE: very low carb
Hey Julie, wonderful you're enjoying Zumba and Body Pump! I'd love to do a zumba class, I've only used youtube videos and have fun working/dancing up a sweat this way. Keep on, the scale will show your dedication and hard work soon but I usually notice inches lost much quicker so clothes fit as good as pounds lost. You got this!!
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #1159
Big Yapper!

That sucks about the car and the garage door but how strange that it all lead him to find the tortoise! You said you rarely use the door so maybe this all had to happen to rescue the animal. Are they normally found just cruising around in AZ? Do you know how large it's going to end up being? Is it one of those protected species? If it gets too big, maybe you can find someone who has a habitat suitable for them.

Keep on keepin' on and I hope the scale starts to budge.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #1160
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi Julie
You're doing so good! That's great that you're seeing it through. The pay-offs will happen!
I thought I'd pass on something I learned this week. People with Thyroid conditions burn on average 200 calories less than the charts predict. Our bodies are more efficient! So, to lose wt, or maintain, it has to be 200 under what those charts say. This is very helpful to me, because it explains why my wt. started creeping up when I went back to normal calories. Of course, I'm doing what you're doing too... working on building up muscle, so that number can rise.

Sorry about your DH's accident. But that's so cool about the friendly turtle!
Well, that's not good news. It really makes sense though. Sigh. So, what do we do? Do we just eat less and then let our metabolisms slow even further. Maybe the muscle building will help with that? I'm going to keep plugging away and give it some time. You're maintaining so well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
Hey Julie, wonderful you're enjoying Zumba and Body Pump! I'd love to do a zumba class, I've only used youtube videos and have fun working/dancing up a sweat this way. Keep on, the scale will show your dedication and hard work soon but I usually notice inches lost much quicker so clothes fit as good as pounds lost. You got this!!
I do love my Zumba class. It's hard and I sweat a lot, but it's really a fun way to burn some calories . I'm seeing some toning which is a good start. I'm waiting for my clothes to fit better, but it's not happening yet. Thanks for the encouragement .

Quote:
That sucks about the car and the garage door but how strange that it all lead him to find the tortoise! You said you rarely use the door so maybe this all had to happen to rescue the animal. Are they normally found just cruising around in AZ? Do you know how large it's going to end up being? Is it one of those protected species? If it gets too big, maybe you can find someone who has a habitat suitable for them.

Keep on keepin' on and I hope the scale starts to budge.
They aren't native here. She must have wandered here from a neighbors? We're hoping a friend didn't decide to give my girls a new pet. We're learning a lot about African tortoises. I'm still plugging away at the gym. Half way through the week . I've got body pump tomorrow and then body attack on Friday. I can do it! Then we're doing dd(13)'s bday party Friday into Saturday - sleepover, makeovers and dinner out with 10 additional teenagers It'll be fun and crazy .

Hope you're all doing well. Scale not budging for me
Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #1161

OH boy Julie! sounds like a FUN weekend! hang in there, I am losing zero also... ugh... Just have to keep plugging away or try something else??

In any case the exercise STAYS!.. Enjoy your new pet and the girls this weekend!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #1162
Blabbermouth!!!

How exciting that the "birthday gods" decided to send your daughter her heart's desire. What a crazy story!

Keep on plugging, girl. Imagine the muscle mass you're building, and the calories it will burn. WTG!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #1163
Big Yapper!

So weird that a non-native turtle shows up on your doorstep. Maybe you should post a "found" sign in your neighborhood to see if someone lost one. Then again, DD is happy it came her way so maybe better to let it be. Did you find out how large they can get? "Tortoise" just sounds big! If you have a small kiddie pool, he'd probably enjoy a swim now and then.

You're really killing it at the gym. I don't know where you find the energy. Maybe doing those classes is what's giving you the energy to keep it up? Anyway, WTG! The scale has no choice but to comply.

Happy Birthday to your DD and may you have a super-fun makeover weekend together!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #1164
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks girls. We did put signs up around the neighborhood. The tortoise is cute, but a lot of work (especially keeping her safe from the dogs). The temperature thing is challenging too- 80-100 deg, but not over 100! That's tough to maintain. She's in the garage right now and I hope that'll be ok.

I did body pump today - group weight training. Ouch! They do 4 sets on each muscle group and I am shaking and sore in the class. My legs twitch so much it's hard to complete the sets. I got a cramp in my tricep today, which was a first. Thankfully after some rubbing it went away. I'll try a banana for bfast next time and see how it feels. I did get nauseas toward the end, so I guess I worked hard .

Next week I leave Thurs for a trip home to Philly. My friend is getting married Sat. It will be so much fun to see everyone and some cooler weather (if that's what we get) would be even better! I'll do my classes m-w, but will miss pump and attack and Monday's combat. I hope I get right back into the swing of it when I get home. That will tell me if this is a true habit .

Last edited by julieboolie; 08-29-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #1165
Big Yapper!

Julie, I just did a little Googling and found this on Wikipedia:

"Size and lifespan[edit source]

G. sulcata is the third-largest species of tortoise in the world after the Galapagos tortoise, and Aldabra giant tortoise, and the largest of the mainland tortoises.[5] Adults are usually 24 to 36 in long (60–90 cm) and can weigh 100-200 lb (45 – 91 kg). They grow from hatchling size (2-3 in) very quickly, reaching 6-10 in (15–25 cm) within the first few years of their lives. The lifespan of an African spurred tortoise is about 50-150 years, though they can live much longer. (The oldest in captivity is 54 years, located in the Giza Zoological Gardens, Egypt, 1986)."

If this is more than you are prepared to deal with, better start researching places that rescue these animals so that when he or she has grown humungous, you have a place to let him live out the rest of his days. He's going to outlive you!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #1166
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Julie! Just checking in. Great going with body pump...that is my all time favorite class
Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #1167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my, that's going to be a big turtle! We had a dime-store turtle as kids, it lived about 50 yrs & ended up being around 8 inches in circumference. Only died then because a visitor accidentally stepped on him.
Wow, you really maxed your muscles out! How many in each reps in each set do you do?
Philadelphia? Have a marvelous time!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #1168

Have a great holiday weekend Julie!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #1169
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pandora174
Stats: 248/130-132/128
WOE: hHCG, Currently Maintenance 5:2 w/IF
Start Date: January 2012
Hi Julie ! Hope your doing well. You're inspiring me to keep at the whole exercise. I am doing 30-40 min a day 7 days a week & feeling sore but stronger !!
pandora174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #1170
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora174 View Post
Hi Julie ! Hope your doing well. You're inspiring me to keep at the whole exercise. I am doing 30-40 min a day 7 days a week & feeling sore but stronger !!
That's wonderful!! wTG! Keep it going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb294evr View Post
Have a great holiday weekend Julie!
Thanks! We ended up canceling our water park plans and just vegged on Mon.

Quote:
Oh my, that's going to be a big turtle! We had a dime-store turtle as kids, it lived about 50 yrs & ended up being around 8 inches in circumference. Only died then because a visitor accidentally stepped on him.
Wow, you really maxed your muscles out! How many in each reps in each set do you do?
Philadelphia? Have a marvelous time!
We do different variations, but I think it was 60 for squats! effective, but painful! I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and family and some cooler weather!

Quote:
Hi Julie! Just checking in. Great going with body pump...that is my all time favorite class
Thanks! Yes, good class. I'm looking for a way to add a second one to my schedule. How's your loss? Still nice and steady? I'm so happy for you!

Quote:
Julie, I just did a little Googling and found this on Wikipedia:

"Size and lifespan[edit source]

G. sulcata is the third-largest species of tortoise in the world after the Galapagos tortoise, and Aldabra giant tortoise, and the largest of the mainland tortoises.[5] Adults are usually 24 to 36 in long (60–90 cm) and can weigh 100-200 lb (45 – 91 kg). They grow from hatchling size (2-3 in) very quickly, reaching 6-10 in (15–25 cm) within the first few years of their lives. The lifespan of an African spurred tortoise is about 50-150 years, though they can live much longer. (The oldest in captivity is 54 years, located in the Giza Zoological Gardens, Egypt, 1986)."

If this is more than you are prepared to deal with, better start researching places that rescue these animals so that when he or she has grown humungous, you have a place to let him live out the rest of his days. He's going to outlive you!
Yep, she will (hopefully) live a long time. It's a lot of work until they're 2-3, but then they can hang out in the backyard (some safety stuff done first). The dogs are the challenge. We take her in and out of the heat, and protect her. Eventually, she will be able to stay outside all year, but not yet. We will re-home her if we can't keep up with her care, but for now, we're all enjoying her.

I'm doing fine. Scale still stuck in the mid-160's but eating so many calories! My metabolism should be delighted! . I'm working out still, and hope this is now a permanent change for me. I'll be home next Mon, so I'll be able to tell more then.

I leave Thurs, early, so I won't be online much thurs-Mon. Looking forward to seeing old friends, and wishing I was my thinnest. Oh well, it'll be what it'll be. I'm fine, and just spending time with them is what's important. My vanity will have to die .

Hope you're all doing well!