Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #811
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
So cool Julie! Love dropping below goal!
Watch out for chocolate!! (oh, I see it was sf). whew!

I'm sure camping & all that involves will give you a lot of exercise. Adding gradually, as you maintain is probably an excellent idea since you'll be slowly increasing your calories too. Don't think you can go wrong with walking though, especially since it burns calories, builds stamina, & can be done anywhere!

Where you going camping? Do you have a camper? Or will you be tenting? Sounds fun!!
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #812
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
That is fantastic Julie!! Have a wonderful time camping.. hope your weather is great too.
Deb294evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #813
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Thanks Debby! and Deb!! We're camping at our "regular" spot along Oak Creek in Sedona. So beautiful and quiet there. We're tent campers (and that's all they allow at this small campground). We try to go at least once a year, wish is could be more. But it's a bit of work just for 2 nights! We've gone w. different friends each year the past 4 years.

Today is P3D2 and I am happy to report I'm at 147.6!! A new low this round, and 2.4 under LDW (give or take). Not sure how that happened, I felt like I was overeating yesterday, pushing hunger and fullness. I did have a lot of egg salad, my first helping of GY in 3+weeks!, and some candied pecans on my yummy salad last night. And I even had a decaf breve latte and some SF choc last night! I came in really high on fat % so maybe that'll be the key for me? Too soon to tell a pattern, and w.o. a scale over the weekend while I "practice" it'll be a puzzle. But, so far, so good!! I would really love to stabilize under LDW!! That would be a first, and a delight!! More motivation to be "good" while camping!! I am going to throw some of that SF chocloate in the grocery bag. It hasn't hurt yet, and will be nice to have a "treat" when everyone else is having s'mores. Have a great weekend all!! I'll check in late Sun.
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #814
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Woohoooooo! I told you so!!! Had to say that. You did it! And you didn't think you would. NahnahnahNahna! I'm glad you put your new pic in your Avi. Sweet! I love that dress, as if you couldn't tell.

So wish I could visit Oak Creek Canyon again. It's been eons since I was there. I was in my 20's!

Candied pecans? Aren't those sugary? Watch out, woman. Don't mess up now. Be careful! Remember you are essentially on Atkins Induction. Play it safe. And if the scale keeps dropping, so be it. More wiggle room!

I'm so happy for you, Julie. Enjoy your camping trip. I hear you about the amount of work it takes to set up and take down when camping. Seems like a waste for only 2 days but you guys have two young helpers which hopefully makes it faster and easier. Do they help much or do they just take off and have fun?

Last edited by CherylB; 04-05-2013 at 08:47 AM..
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #815
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wonderful !

Hey, what is P3D2 ? Sorry, I'm really bad with these abbreviations.... So, you're eating low-carb/ high fat? I'm doing EFGT right now, enjoying. Gotta break the mind-set of avoiding fats.

Hope you have a great time camping. Sounds fun, though I know I don't enjoy it... so much work!

So happy for you!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #816
Big Yapper!

That is phase 3 day 2. So it's the first 2 days of actually eating Atkins-esque. And I agree about tent camping. I used to love it but it's such a lot of work! My idea of camping now involves a vehicle with a bed, a toilet, maybe a shower, a stove, an oven and a water tank. A couch, table and closet, along with cabinets is what I could call home. Someday, I'll own one again. Someday! I just feel it in my bones.

Have fun, Julie! Hope it's warm enough at night. Hope the bugs aren't bad. I forget if you have mosquitoes in that part of AZ. Oh God how I hate those little suckers! I wish I knew why those were created. Do they serve an earthly purpose?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #817
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Cheryl,

So, basically like the Induction? I'm so enjoying the EFGT right now. Not sure what its going to do to me, but its a nice break! If I don't gain wt. or get bloated, this could become my "vacation diet."

I agree with your style of camping, Cheryl, that's how my parents took us camping... I loved it. But my DH is a real outdoors man... he would never "camp" in a campground... that's like staying in a city to him. He can camp alone. That's why we motel it on the motorcycle. I like having a bathroom & 4 HARD walls around me... course internet is also a must have for me now too! When we moved to the wilderness, we lived outside in a tent (in Grizzly,cougar, & mosquito country), with a 2 yr old., while we built our cabin. That was enough for me. Although I may try it in a camper one day... never say never!

Sorry Julie, didn't mean to high-jack your board! Hope you have a wonderful time!!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #818
Big Yapper!

Wow!! You were camping all that time? My hat is off to you. But now look at the fruits of your labor! It was all worth it, wasn't it. Sometimes sacrifice is necessary for the reward that comes later. That's why we are living our lives with restraint and purpose. It's for the long-range greater good.

You often post pics of your views. Can you post a few of your cabin? I'd love to see it. The hot tub room, too!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #819
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

haha... maybe some day I will scan one... that's the good ole days... we no longer live in the wilderness. I may be able to do that one day... hot tub room, maybe...
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #820
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey girls!! I'm back . I had a wondeful time (as always). I consider that spot by the creek my "home away from home". . I'll post some pics at the end (you know me!).

Debby-I hope your time in the tent was during warm weather. And bugs w. a baby? That was quite a sacrifice!! So glad it was all worth it, but I completely understand your fondness for motels and indoor plumbing. That's my only drawback to camping longer.

Cheryl- I've only ever tent camped and am content w. that (for now). I'm pretty sure if I've tried a camper or RV I'd have a very hard time going back to the tent! It's not that much work, and I was pleasantly surprised that we got the car unpacked, camp set up and the tent and air beds/sleeping bags all set up in less than an hour. A fire made too! That's my favorite part.

I had a great weekend. So relaxing and rejuvenating. I just love this little spot by the creek. We've been there about 6 times now and we just love it. Our neighbor friends who came with us were really fun to be with and get to know better. The kids loved playing in the creek together and we had some great talks around the fire. Fun weekend!! I was pretty good w. my eating, had LOTs of pistachios, some real chocolate (hand full of milk duds), bite of crunch-n-munch, and 3 cadbury mini eggs. I showed great constraint . Feel good though and hopeful that the scale will be kind tomorrow morning. I was 2.2 below LDW when I went, so hopefully that's plenty of wiggle room. I'd love to stabilze lower than LDW.

Here are some pics. I'm all unloaded, laundry going, shower done (wonderful!) and played a game of Farkle w. the fam. (fun, look it up). I think it'll be an early night for all of us.

This is our 2 families by the fire last night. And a good shot of my beloved Oak Creek w. the fam, and of course w. my furbabies . It was a great weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fam fire.jpg (39.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg herbrandsons fire.jpg (31.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg dogs and fam creek.jpg (82.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg fam creek 1.jpg (90.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #821
Big Yapper!

Beautiful, Julie! So glad you had such a lovely time. Now get back on strict P3 and undo the damage of those liittle innocent indulgences before they take you where you don't want to go again. That's the mother in me talking.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #822
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Mama Cheryl . I love Sedona and am really spoiled to live so close to such breathtaking beauty! I'm really thankful we get the chance to visit it a few times a year. In fact I plan to try to reserve another weekend soon .

I'm up a bit this morning, but still below LDW!! 149.6. I'd call that a successful camping weekend!! I was 2.4 below LDW when I left (not sure how, but I'll take it) and although pretty careful while away, I overate pistachios (intentionally to keep me from the carbier indulgences!) and had a few bites of sugared goodies. Overall I was pretty "good" and am pleased to only be up 2lbs this morning. W/ vault toilets all weekend, I think I was a bit backed up and hope/expect to be down a tad tomorrow. Going to eat "normal" P3 today and see where I am tomorrow. Prob a bit dehydrated as I didn't drink nearly as much water as I usually do. Again, avoiding the bathrooms . In all, successful getaway at the beginning of P3!! I need to remain in control and careful and not get overly ambitious!

And a side note, my temp is 97.8 this morning (which I use as a guage of my general "health" as I'm hypothyroid) which is really good!! More carbs have helped in this area and I'm working on balancing the scale and my health in maintenance! All is well!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #823
Big Yapper!

KUTGW, woman! Remember: Hawaii is coming. But even more than that, LIFE is here already and life is what matters most. Being happy RIGHT NOW. (talking to myself more than you. )

Have a lovely day.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #824
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WTG Julie!
So happy for you to have found a way to come off of this thing. Sounds like you did great while camping.
My experiment with EFGT is going really well too. It will be my WOE for traveling for sure. Meanwhile I'm on it while I get used to having salt in my diet.

Keep it up!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #825
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning friends!!

I've had a crazy day and looks like it's just the beginning. Here's an update:
Some of you know that my dd(12) Kelley has had a painful right hip for over 2 months now. We've taken her to the Dr a few times, and she's been seeing a Physical Therapist for a "hip flexor strain '. Because it hasn't healed in the past 2
months, we had an MRI done yesterday. There is swelling/fluid on her hip joint
(effusion). It's very unusual, and the Dr. is now treating Kelley with more
attention and urgency. This urgency is very unsettling to us.

There are several possible causes for this, but because it's been misdiagnosed
for so long, it's possible that an infection has been in this hip for over 2
months now. Kelley had blood drawn yesterday for testing and we'll know more
soon. She will likely be sent to Children's Hospital for further treatment.

So, that's how my day went yesterday. We took her to her favorite restaurant last night for dinner. Sweet Tomatoes. My diet nemesis. I'm up a bit today but still in window. In light of all that's going on, I'm not too concerned w. the scale. I don't want to use this as an excuse or opportunity to comfort eat. But let me tell you, the mama concern and guilt is tough to take. I'm keeping myself out of the chocolate by sheer grit.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate your prayers.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #826
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

May the Lord Jesus bless you & your daughter today. Lord please touch and heal her hip. Put your angels round about her for protection and help the Dr's come to a quick realization of proper treatment. Lord let your peace surround them as they go through this journey, and all glory to Your name. In Jesus name, amen.

Bless you Julie!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #827

oh Julie, so sorry to hear about your daughter. Many prayers coming your way.

Mama concern and guilt is strong and present for all the days of our lives..
Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #828
Big Yapper!

I'm so sorry, Julie. Has she been running a temperature? You'd think she would be if she had an infection deep inside her body. It would have become systemic in that amount of time. I will be praying for you all. Remember, it's during the rough times that we really need to lean on the Lord and trust He is big enough to handle our burdens. Big enough to eradicate them, too. Lord, be willing, please.

You know how hard it is for you to take the weight off. You know how much you hate P2, and you know how much being 140-something means to you. Instead of eating, sing! Let something come out of your mouth rather than putting something into it. And I'm sure singing praise and worship songs would be just the ticket.

I've never heard of that restaurant. Must be a Western thing. My favorites are Chili's, Olive Garden, Cracker Barrel, a couple different pizza places and one Mexican place of which I can't recall their name. Tequila's maybe? I haven't been in ages. There's a new Mexican place closer to home now, but I don't dare go. Too risky.

It is 73 degrees here today ladies and for the first time this year, I've got all the windows open! I am so thrilled. I went out on the front deck and did some measuring. I wanted to see if I could come up with some sort of deck planters to put there, cause that faces south and is the best place for me to try and grow veggies. Then I went to Home Depot's website and found a very inexpensive planter system that is on casters that has many rave reviews. I ordered three of them and will pick them up at my local store on Thursday. The potting mix and other stuff they recommend for it will have to be purchased next month.

They have no trellis available for them so I'm going to be working on coming up with something to support the tomato plants, and I'm thinking of buying one or two scaffold type supports to place off the deck and have the things like cucumbers and zucchini that like to trail a long ways, and lay the plants on those Seems like a great idea. I hope I can get it off the ground (no pun intended.)

I hope my happiness is not taken as a sign of not being sensitive to your situation, Julie. I just know that the Lord has got you covered. I will pray. Please keep us informed of the lab results, etc. Have faith, sweetie.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #829
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the prayers and encouragement ladies! I know God is in control, and I want it that way! But it's so hard when it's your baby. she doesn't really understand the whole situation and the possibilities. We are still waiting on blood test results. how long cqn that take? This could be a volleyball ending situation, which would crush her. I'm trying not to get ahead of this, but there aren't any possible situations that end well . But, that's leaning on my own understanding, which isn't wise. I'll just trust in Him and wait for Him to direct our paths.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #830
Big Yapper!

Julie, when was the blood drawn? Was it just routine lab tests? That should only take a couple of days. I hope you hear the results soon. And just to keep things in perspective, there are worse things than missing a season of volleyball. But I hear what you're saying.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #831
Big Yapper!!!!

Cheryl-they drew 3 vials of blood and I recall seeing about 5 items on the paperwork. I'm hoping to hear today. I am already writing off this season of vball, I'm just concerned that 2+ months of infection in her hip joint is destroying it. All the research I've read gives you a 2 day window to treat that infection before necrosis sets in. We'll see. I'm hopeful that's not the cause. She loves it so, and it's been a real blessing to her on so many levels. Her life would go on w/o it, but it would be a BIG change. And unnecessary disappointment.

We still haven't heard back on dd's blood work. I'm impatient to hear, but feel like this is the calm before the storm. I'm resting in my Lord and trying to not "lean on my own understanding". I've researched her situation online and am getting ahead of myself and upset, when there is no reason to yet. I'm learning to wait on Him and keep my mind fixed on Him. That's a lot more peaceful than running on ahead in my own mind! Trying to "cast all my cares on Him, because He cares for me (and dd!)."

Weight wise-I'm down to 147 even this morning! I was backed up a bit from my weekend camping and from Sweet Tomatoes (lots of salad!!) and up to 150.4 yesterday morning. Right around LDW, but wanted to be back below it. So I chose to eat mostly GY w. raspberries yesterday and made some devilled eggs. I had 4 of them , and extra coffee/cream (about 1900 cals!) and am down nicely this morning. Not a CD, but I ate what I wanted and stopped when satisfied (novel concept!), so I'm pleased with that. I suspect rebound gain for tomorrow, but LDW was 149.8(150) so I am just hoping and happy to stay in the 140's.

Hope you're all having a great day and Spring weather is coming your way!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #832
Big Yapper!

I'd call the Dr's office and see if the results are back. Sometimes they get so backed-up with trying to do all they have to get done in a days work that they can't address everything in a timely manner. You didn't answer me about if she had a temperature. I can't imagine she could have an infection in her hip and not have some other symptoms aside from hip discomfort.

I'm sorry you are so worried but I'm glad you are holding on tightly to our Lord. And WTG on 147!!! I feel stuck somehow. I haven't weighed yet and this is day 11 of Atkins but days ago I was really feeling the shrinking going on and now I feel puffy again. I will keep it very clean and see what the end of the month scale reading has to say. I refuse to weigh now cause I'm afraid if it says that I think it might say, I'd lose all hope.

I have been enjoying watching this documentary called "Ride the Divide" on Netflix. It's about a group of bicyclists who race from Banff in Alberta Canada and ride all the way to Mexico, following the Continental Divide. It's so nicely done with a great soundtrack and it is wonderful to see how each person deals with their own struggles along the way. If you have Netflix, I highly recommend it. The scenery is just breathtaking!

Do call the Dr right now, Julie. At least you'll know if they have the results or if they are still pending. They may be able to tell you if some of the labs are going to take a week or so to get the results in.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #833

Wow !! congrats on 147 Julie! .. whooo hooooooooo

Hope you get results soon!!! may you get peace!!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #834
Big Yapper!

Hi, honey. Almost 10 pm here and just checking in. Did you call them?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #835
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Praying for you.

So happy your weight is stabilizing so low for you too.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #836
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you for the prayers and support! It means so much to me!! I did call the Dr yesterday, twice!! And no, she hasn't had a fever.

Well a few nice updates:
First and foremost, my dd's blood work came back yesterday squeaky clean! The Dr is treating her w. oral steroids and rest and will re-evaluate in 2 weeks. If she's not better in a week I'll push for more attention. It's been over 2 months now and I don't think another week will hurt, so we'll meet in the middle . It's quite a relief as the screening for leukemia and other cancers came back negative, no infection of any kind etc. All good! Praise God!!

And my weight? Today is the end of week 1 of P3 and I'm below LDW by 3 lbs!! This is a first for me!! Typically I stabilize at the top end of my range and fight to stay there. CDs, low cals, etc. I'm delighted, and a bit shocked truth be told. I even had a Cadbury Carmel egg yesterday . Stress and temptation got the best of me. I plugged it into my online calorie tracker and still came in at 63% fat, 19% protein and 18% carbs for the day, 1900+ calories though! I was a bit concerned, but this morning I'm down to 146.8 a new low for this round! but . And that's following a GY and Egg day, that I did to shed the weekend and Sweet Tomatoe's weight. So, I have to say, so far, this is my best P3 yet!! Crazy!!

So, what's different? Well, I'm eating a really high fat content. 60%+. I'm also not "new" to this weight. I got here (actually a few lbs below here) in Sept. and once before last Spring. I wasn't able to stick w. those, but maybe my body kind of remembers being here before? Even though it was only briefly? I'm not sure. And truthfully, I don't need to completely understand it. I am just happy that (so far) I'm stabilizing. I really hope in a few weeks I'll be saying the same thing .

Hope you're all having a great day!! W. dd on crutches for at least a week we are NOT going to her vball tournament on Sat (since she'd just stand and watch) so we'll get to go to our church picnic instead which will be much more fun!!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #837
Big Yapper!!!!

Cheryl-ironically my friend Cheryl has done that bike ride. She's also biked from CA to NJ and one other really long ride, I think on the East Coast. She's totally hooked on it now. Amazing! I'll see if I can find it. We dont' have netflix as dh works for directv so we get tv for free!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #838
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PTL!! Awesome news! Let peace flow over you... pray healing happens quickly.

So happy for you on the wt. stabilization. Those percentages seem almost impossible to me Wow... what do you eat in a day?

I went back to my normal diet last 2 days, to stabilize my system. Guess I need more magnesium or something... will probably go back on EFGT tomorrow, since we've been invited out for dinner. Its just easier.

So happy for you!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #839
Big Yapper!

!!! I'm so happy and thankful for all the good lab results. So glad they checked for cancer indicators, too. Nobody wants to mention the c-word but catching it early is so imperative. So happy!

And that's wonderful that you're down so low on the scale! How do your clothes fit? What does it feel like when your washing yourself in the shower? Can you believe it's your body? I wonder how those things will be for me as I get close to goal. Someday you can ask ME those questions!

That's so cool that you know someone who's done that race! Did she complete it? The documentary says very few individuals actually have. I don't know when it was filmed. Maybe you can catch it on youtube. Free TV? Now that's a nice perk!

Debby! I thought the extra magnesium was helping you. I hope you find the right balance, cause like you said, EFGT is fun! I made myself a taco salad for dinner. And a side of guacamole with a ripe avocado and sour cream. The salad lacked heat so next time I'll see if I can find a recipe and do it right.

Good night, ladies. Thank you Lord for your goodness!

Last edited by CherylB; 04-11-2013 at 04:30 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #840
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Debby! I thought the extra magnesium was helping you. I hope you find the right balance, cause like you said, EFGT is fun! I made myself a taco salad for dinner. And a side of guacamole with a ripe avocado and sour cream. The salad lacked heat so next time I'll see if I can find a recipe and do it right.

Good night, ladies. Thank you Lord for your goodness!
Yeah, I upped my magnesium, but not enough. I may have to be more restrictive with the cheese. I wasn't sure how much was "too much." Just looked it up, looks like 750 mg. I was taking 450 mg. tops, so guess there's still a bit more room.