Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #301
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Cheryl-that's great to hear!! I'm so glad!! Yes, please keep us posted! I hope you hear good news back soon!

Good day! 1800 cals, 50% fat, the rest split btw protein and carbs. That's been my successful ratio this round. But I'm at the top if my range today, I probably should have been more cautious today, but alas, didn't happen. I can always CD if I need to. It's all good!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
you are really breaking things down in P3!! I would be lucky to even know how many cals I have in a day, much less the ratio's.

Great job stabilizing though Julie!! We are almost to the finish line of P3, then real life!..
Deb294evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #303
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb294evr View Post
you are really breaking things down in P3!! I would be lucky to even know how many cals I have in a day, much less the ratio's.

Great job stabilizing though Julie!! We are almost to the finish line of P3, then real life!..
Thanks!! We're almost "there", but I'm not unhappy here in the meantime . I'm keeping track basically in case things go totally awry!! Then I'll be able to say "it was working when I was doing ...". I'm not really shooting for anything but like knowing what I'm eating. I do kinda' keep myself in check if I'm hitting 1800cals, but if I'm truly hungry I keep eating .

I STS today, which is a bit disappointing. I'm still at the upper edge of my window. I'd rather be closer to LDW, but in is in . I'll shoot for a "lighter day" today and hope for a bit of wiggle room. If DMIL wasn't here I'd do a Cd. I would like to settle a bit lower in the 140's, but it's all stable in my book. Once I'm into P4 I will be able to breathe more deeply. I feel like I'm holding my breath a bit still.

I am also pleasantly surprised to see my temps are up today!! I was 97.7 today!! That's back where I was during my refeed RRARFing . I'm thrilled!! I think the froyo and added carbs must be helping. I'm burning!! Woo-hoo!!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #304
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Breathe, baby. Breathe! Nice and slow, in and out.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #305
Big Yapper!!!!

Deb-you're rocking it too!! WTG!!

Cheryl- I'm good. Just sharing. Any word yet?

I'm doing well!! 148.2 this morning, LDW+1. Happy here!! Even made yummy fried cauli "rice" and chicken stir fry for dinner last night. Usually makes me gain, but I went a bit lighter on my cals overall (around 1700) and am down a lb. Maybe that's some loss from my ST gain over the weekend. Whatever the case, I'll take it!!

Quite happy!! I'm in my range, eating well, feeling great!! My daily morning temps are 97.6 usually, which is wonderful!! I've been a mess for so long, and been obese or at least overweight my entire adult life. This is the first time in my life that I've been "normal" and I'm loving it!! I'm trying to appreciate it while I'm in the middle of it, and make this my every day weight. I am thrilled and excited, yet I realize it's not a slam dunk and staying here will still require effort and sacrifice. I'm willing and committed to doing it. I don't want to get too comfortable and slip up and regain. I'd love to never have to lose weight again!! What a concept!!

Woohoo!! On to P4 this weekend!!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #306

oh yeah baby!!!.. You got this Julie!! I am right there with ya, heading into P4 and the REAL life eating!.. whooo hoooo!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #307
Big Yapper!

You both are doing so well! Happy for you.

No word on the job yet. I'm going to call him in an hour or so to see if they got the application I faxed yesterday. If they didn't get it, I want to resend it asap. Don't want that standing in the way. Will announce the news, when I have any.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #308

Thanks Cheryl I hope you get that job!!!!

Julie and friends, have a wonderful Thursday!!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #309
Big Yapper!!!!

Deb-thanks!! Sweetie!

Cheryl-hope it all comes together for you!! You're due for a peaceful season in life.

I posted this in other threads, so skip if you've already read it

I had Paradise Bakery's SW chicken cesar salad for dinner last night. I got the small w.o. tortilla strips and it was delicious!! Had a few bites of the brocolli cheese soup . Then I had gelato!! Real, sweetened w. sugar, gelato!! It was delectable!! So wonderful (MIL is only here 1 more day so this was our celebration for her visit). Anyway, today on the scale ? I STS!!! 148.2 (LDW+1) again!! Woohoo!!

And, also last night I stopped in at Eddie Bauer to check their clearance rack. Dh loves it there and we were at the mall for dinner (and dessert!!). Anyway, I tried on this cute little jacket in a Medium (definite progress for me!!). It was big . So, I went back and got the Small, just to try it. It fits!! And is still a tad big (good for a jacket)!! Dh made me buy it (good price) and just b/c it's a small!! I also got hiking capris in a size 6!! They're stretchy, but still!! A 6? In hiking wear? Crazy!! I'm such a pear that pants are always my challenge!! I'm so excited!! Not that long ago I was a 12 in their stuff!! Large!! It's simply amazing!!

Tomorrow is my first "official" P4 day. I'm going out to dinner w. friends, but it will be late. I have a feeling it will be Mexican food. I could have chips, but will probably try to resist and wait for Sat. I know the chips will add weight (likely water) and want to save my indulging for Sat.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #310

WOW!! Julie look at you!!! Rockstar!!!

Eating like a real person now!... Fantastic job on staying the same, AND finding a SIZE SMALL!! and a 6???? you go girl!!!...
Old 08-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #311
Big Yapper!

A small???? And a size 6?? Wooohooooooo!!!!!! Oh, happy day! And WTG on STS after those yummy foods. You've so got this, Julie! to the rest of your life.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #312
Big Yapper!!!!

Cheryl-yes!! The rest of my life!! It's hard to wrap my head around. But I'm excited to practice!!

Well, I came in aorund 2300cals yesterday. Way too many carbs , but today is officially P4 so I guess I started a day early. I had a full bag of buttered popcorn at the movies, then I had too many choc almonds, and froyo for dinner!! Surprise, surprise, I'm up. :rollseyes: I'm at 150 today, LDW+2.8. Sigh. I earned it though!! So, I'll be attempting a CD. We're going out to dinner w. friends, and I'm not sure where just yet. Gonna' try for a modified steak day, most places have steak. I'll do a small one for lunch if I'm starving. Considering I only did 1 CD this whole round, w. what I've been eating, I can NOT complain!
DMIL goes home today. It's been nice having her here the past 2 weeks, but it will make life easier to have no house guests.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #313
Big Yapper!

Well, you certainly earned your CD, Julie! A steak day sounds perfect for your dinner out with friends. I hope it also helps you shed the unwanted water weight that crept back on-board. (I'm sure that's all it is. You can't gain fat that quickly. At least I hope not.)

Once your MIL is gone, you can get back to a normal pattern. I'm sorry to see your sad face about her leaving. You must love her very much.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #314
Big Yapper!!!!

Cheryl- I do! She's a lovely lady who's lead a hard life (married a real piece of work!!). Dh has some similar challenges to his dad, but God has really mellowed him over the years (which is why we're still married. God is very good!!). But it is much easier to just have our little family back to "normal". I felt like I was kinda' on "hold" the past 2 weeks. Still praying about that job for you!! I'm sure the waiting is hard, but keep seeking Him first and "all these things shall be added unto you".

Deb-what's your plan for your weekend foray into P4? I'm sure you'll do great!!

Well, my modified steak day worked yesterday. I'm back to my 148.4 weight today. This seems to be my new set point as I've been here most of the past 3 weeks. I'm good w. that!! Even though I'm officially in P4 I'm gonna' keep it clean LC today and see where I am tomorrow. I do notice on my lower carb days that my basal temps are lower. Today was 97.1, instead of 97.6 where it's been all week . Not to put too much stock in temps, but, I'll add more GY today and good carbs (veggies, and an apple) and hope my temps are back up tomorrow. I'm really beginning to believe that my metabolism just does better w. higher carbs now. That's a lovely development!!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #315
Big Yapper!

She sounds like the perfect MIL to have! And if your hubby has inherited some of his "piece of work" father's traits, you have much to talk about together. Thank God that he's mellowed over the years and that your marriage is strong. I can sympathize for marrying a piece-of-work man.

That's so GREAT that you are hanging around the 148 weight for that long!. I know you have had to tweak it here and there but that's what you are supposed to do, according to P3/P4 rules. You are doing so well and we're all so excited for you, Julie!

Do you take a daily temp all the time? What kind of thermometer do you use (if you don't mind my asking)? Digital tympanic thermometers can be pretty erratic. I think the old fashioned mercury ones that go under the tongue (or up the bum) are the most accurate.

Thank you ((HUGS)) for continuing to pray about my job opportunity. I can't believe it's Saturday and I haven't heard from them at all. And both times I called to verify that they received my faxed job ap, I got voicemail. A sensitive gal like me tends to start reading into things, and I'm almost always wrong about my paranoia's. I am going to trust and continue to pray. But I wish that the rules of job-seeking somehow applied to the employer, too. Why can't they ever use the same courtesy? "We received the application you faxed to us and are checking your references."

KUTGW, Julie! And welcome back to your normal life!!! (Without DMIL)
Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
Hi Julie! I just read your whole journal with great interest. I'm planning a doctor-supervised round of RXhcg sometime in Sept. to knock off my last 20-23 lbs (hopefully less by then). I have already lost 20lbs since February (very slowly and steadily, low glycemic and JUDDD with periods of maintenance along the way).

I have read Robin's book and am wholeheartedly committed to doing it "her" way. This is because the only other time in my life that I've lost and kept weight off (pre-pregnancies, in my 20's), it was following the hunger scale.

My research on this site has shown me that HCG-lost weight comes back on faster and easier than any other weight. I've always been a good "maintainer," and I don't want that to end. (Lost my first ten lbs two years ago, kept it off, and maintained my next ten loss from March to July, not to mention the Hunger Scale loss of about 20 lbs in my twenties that I kept off until my three pregnancies in my late 30's and am finally getting around to losing).

So... I was really curious reading your blog, wondering if you would find Robin's book, seeing that you did, then seeing you sort of go back to the "I can always do a CD," "I deserve an indulgence" mode w/ weighing every day... rather than eating exactly what you want, but only to satisfaction, etc. (You know what I mean - you read the book and watched the videos).

Did you find that Robin's method/philosophy just didn't work for you? Please know that I'm not chastising you in any way (I'm VERY impressed with you in EVERY way). I'm just curious because I am about to do my first, and only HCG round (I refuse to get addicted to the "I can always do another round" or "I'll just do a CD" mentality) and I'm already very nervous about keeping it off. I believe in the Hunger Scale. I really think Robin is on to something.

Anyway, I hope my question is okay!

Last edited by buttah; 08-18-2012 at 08:58 AM..
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #317
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttah View Post
Hi Julie! I just read your whole journal with great interest. I'm planning a doctor-supervised round of RXhcg sometime in Sept. to knock off my last 20-23 lbs (hopefully less by then). I have already lost 20lbs since February (very slowly and steadily, low glycemic and JUDDD with periods of maintenance along the way).

I have read Robin's book and am wholeheartedly committed to doing it "her" way. This is because the only other time in my life that I've lost and kept weight off (pre-pregnancies, in my 20's), it was following the hunger scale.

My research on this site has shown me that HCG-lost weight comes back on faster and easier than any other weight. I've always been a good "maintainer," and I don't want that to end. (Lost my first ten lbs two years ago, kept it off, and maintained my next ten loss from March to July, not to mention the Hunger Scale loss of about 20 lbs in my twenties that I kept off until my three pregnancies in my late 30's and am finally getting around to losing).

So... I was really curious reading your blog, wondering if you would find Robin's book, seeing that you did, then seeing you sort of go back to the "I can always do a CD," "I deserve an indulgence" mode w/ weighing every day... rather than eating exactly what you want, but only to satisfaction, etc. (You know what I mean - you read the book and watched the videos).

Did you find that Robin's method/philosophy just didn't work for you? Please know that I'm not chastising you in any way (I'm VERY impressed with you in EVERY way). I'm just curious because I am about to do my first, and only HCG round (I refuse to get addicted to the "I can always do another round" or "I'll just do a CD" mentality) and I'm already very nervous about keeping it off. I believe in the Hunger Scale. I really think Robin is on to something.

Anyway, I hope my question is okay!
Thanks for coming by!! I totally get where you're coming from and am happy to share my experience. Your question is just fine, but I'm not "done" enough to give you a complete answer. I'm still working through a lot of this, but here's my best attempt .

I did kind of dabbled in the hunger scale approach (IE-intuitive eating is similar) before starting this last round. I kept gaining and didn't seem good at "stopping" when "satisfied". Throughout this past P3 I've eaten to hunger most of the time. I've tracked calories more as a record keeping enterprise than anything else. I've had a few days where I knew I was overeating (the food tasted good and although satisfied, I just wanted to eat).

There is a school of thought that in P3 you need to push the calories higher than hunger dictates, so that you're not stuck eating 1200cals a day for life. Although I don't truly embrace that theory, it's in the back of my mind while stablizing. W/ Robin's approach - do I really want to live my life eating the bare minimum calories all the time? I love the concept of revloutionizing our country where gluttony was awful and moderation was applauded . I realize that I honestly wouldn't restrict my eating if I couldn't lose weight doing it. I like eating . I don't endorse gluttony and am miles from my former eating styles, but if I could eat to my heart's content and not gain weight, I confess I would be sorely tempted . At least once in a while.

The CD option is a valuable tool as we stabilze and figure out what's best for our bodies at this new weight. I have only done 2 CDs this past 3.5 weeks, which is significantly better than any previous rounds I've done. And I'm at my lowest weight ever, so that's a definite success. When we're celebrating life (bdays, weddings, vacations, Disneyland ) there will be opportunities to eat celebratory foods. Robin's suggestions to "have a bite" of something is really hard to manage, esp. when you're just starting out. This past week I should have stopped eating popcorn after a few bites. But, I hadn't had a big enough lunch and was pretty hungry. I kept eating it b/c it tasted good, was there, and satisfied my hunger. Unfortunately that netted me a gain the next day on the scale. So, I corrected it, am back down to my happy place, and hope/plan to stay here .

Being able to relax a bit and enjoy a treat, say a cupcake or popcorn, without feeling guilt or throwing in the towel and allowing a complete spiral out of control, is important to me. If I'm going to maintain my weight for the rest of my life, I want to actually live while doing it. I don't want to have to WORK all the time. I feel like losing the weight has been enough work. I will be vigilant, but would like to relax a bit more.

I applaud your approach to hcg and that you plan 1 round and are well prepared for it. I do NOT endorse repeated "fix it" rounds, but there are many who do just that. The regains and trouble stabilizing is what sent me in search of metabollic help and my refeed.

With your solid background in maintenance, willingness to appreciate slow steady losses, and commitment to the hunger scale, I know you will succeed. Keep posting, questioning, reading, and experimenting. Each of us is different and it's the sharing process that really spurs us on!!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
Julie, I completely know what you mean about not being "done enough!"

One thing that definitely helped me when I lost weight just by using the HS years ago was the concept in the program I did (it was called Thin Within, book published in the 80's, still around on Amazon) called "pleasers" or "teasers." It basically taught that once you got to that precious hunger 0 (their scale was slightly different than Robin's, but same idea), you had to eat a pleaser, not a teaser. I also find that when eating by the HS, I crave healthy foods more often than not, so my pleasers are more about yummy sauces and side dishes with just small deserts or sharing desert, etc. I tend to ask myself what unhealthy foods were "worth it," and if they ARE, I let myself have them in moderation. I've gotten soooo much more consistent at "more isn't better/I will eat this again some time when I'm hungry" thinking.

I guess my big fear is that HCG will unravel this. But then I figure if I can do JUDDD DD's without HCG in my system, I can certainly do this.

Also, I've been reading on this forum for a long time, and I've never seen any advice to go HI-cal in P3. I guess it doesn't matter though - I just don't believe in eating past hunger, at least as much as humanly possible. There are JUDDDers who stuff themselves on UD's. I have never done this. My UD's ranged from satisfied to almost too much "full" feeling per the HS, and the highest I've gone is 1600 calories! I think I seriously have the Leptin imbalance that Robin talks about.

Anyway, your weight loss is amazing! I applaud you.
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #319
Big Yapper!!!!

Buttah-you can certainly do this!! hcg is like 3 full weeks of DD's w.o. any hunger. The freedom from hunger is a great place to practice the hunger scale, Robin is totally right about that one!! But, once hunger returns it's a bit more challenging!! I'm glad the similar plan worked so well for you in the past. That experience will certainly help you!! Losing weight certainly gets harder as we get older, but you're young still, only have a bit to lose, and are doing it right!! You'll be very successful!!

I ate fine yesterday but some of it was out, you know how that goes! Guessing it's around 1900cals but tried to only eat when hungry and stop when satisfied/satiated. Been trying to incorporate the hunger scale more, but it's hard and the timing is awkward. With a family it's hard to not eat when you're at a restaurant or sitting down to dinner. Even if you're only mildly hungry, and satisfied quickly, what do you do? I've tried the mini-meal, but then I'm hungry an hour later when we're on to something else (like a movie, or at a friend's house) and it's not appropriate to have a meal then. I do like the idea, but the reality of it isn't working too well for me. Sigh.

I'm up at the top of my window today, which I expected. Usually the day after a CD, if I don't eat CD like, I regain part of the loss. I think that's just how my body works now. It's not a big deal, I'm still in window, and I know it'll go back down today w. clean P3 eating. I'll just have to postpone my planned french fries to welcome P4. It's more important for me to stick this weight range than try starches .

My temp was 97.7 today, which is quite warm for me!! I'm usually just happy w. 97.6 and call that "good"!! Bonus!!

Church this morning and then family time later today. Dh is on call which is fine. It's his "turn" and we can definitely use the OT!! With 1 income it's so much harder to plan any special expenditures (vacation!!). We're still paying down credit card debt and struggle w. not using the new "available credit" we create in our attempt to pay it off. I need to forget that it's there, and just plug away.

We have a big trip to Cali in Nov coming. I really can't wait!! I love Disneyland, and our BFFs from PA are flying out (he's dh's bff, she's mine, and they have 2 dd's that are our dd's BFFs too- totally a blessing!!). Anyway, we're doing 2 day in DL then driving up the coast to the SF area for the week. All right before Thanksgving. Can't wait!!! We try to do a trip like this with them every 2 years, but last Nov we went back to Pa for my bro's wedding and were able to visit w. them then. Bonus!!

Have a great Sunday all!!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #320
Big Yapper!

That hunger thing and timing it to dinners out or at home with family is my whole reason why I don't follow that at all. I used to attempt this thing called "Weigh Down Workshop." Lousy name but I also decided it wasn't the plan for me. I think with the No S plan that I'm following now, at least you can eat three normal meals a day and just keep it to a single plate. You don't have to be analyzing yourself to see if you are hungry or not. If you're not that hungry, then don't eat as much. If you are hungry, enjoy the full meal.

If I went by hunger, I'd only eat around bedtime! And that's not a good habit to maintain. I am shooting for normalcy.

Your trip to CA with ALL of your BFF's sounds heavenly, Julie! What a wonderful time you'll have together. I will be praying for a safe and fabulous time for all of you.

Have a very blessed Sunday.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #321
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Cheryl!! Nov. can't come fast enough for me!! It'll be such a dream come true for me.

I tried the hunger scale yeterday. I've been mulling it over and wanted to give it another shot. It seems like it should work. I "ate to hunger" yesterday, not worrying about what I chose. And today I'm up 2lbs and out of window!!

Here's how it went: I brought an Atkins shake to church since I wasn't hungry before I left, but figured I would get hungry there. I had that later in the morning. Then afterwards we went to lunch, and by then I was really hungry. I had a cup of soup (fire roasted tomato) and a small salad at lunch - Paradise bakery. I was still pretty hungry after I ate it, but I waited a bit and let it settle in. I was still a tad hungry, so I had 1 small chipper cookie. Then I was satisfied and not hungry for a while after that. Later I had some frozen yogurt as we were out running errands and the girls requested it. I was hungry, not ravenous, but hungry enough to eat. So I had some. I even added a bit of peanut butter topping to it. Satiated to full, not stuffed. I wasn't hungry for dinner so I fed the fam, but didn't eat myself . Before I went out to meet my friends for Bible study, around 8, I was a bit hungry, so I grabbed an apple w. some PB. Just enough to take care of the tummy growls. I had a cup of coffee w. cream and AS at my friend's house. I thought that was a good day!!

In all I am pretty sure my calories were pretty low (for me) yesterday. The foods were higher in carbs than I usually choose, but not awful. I am really sad to see the jump on the scale today. I was kinda' hoping to be able to eat "what I wanted" only to hunger. This happened to me last time I "practiced" but I had hoped it would work better. I'm not saying it's never going to work for me. But I am saying I'm not going to try to eat "intuitively" (which is basically the same thing as the hunger scale) until I''m good and stable and through P4.

I will do a CD of some kind today and am sure it'll be fine. I was hoping to add exercise today but I'm afraid now!! I plan to take dd (12) to the gym so I guess I'll just walk or something safe. Sigh.

Tomorrow is a new day. It's all good. This is what P3 and P4 is about. Testing the waters, finding what works for you. I appreciate the encouragement and like the idea of Robin's hunger scale. But I'm going to do it my way and am ok w. that. I know there are loads of eating styles and diet options out there and there is a "lid for every pot" as the Amish say. For me, I'm still figuring out what'll work for me long term and I'm not willing to experiment with this method any further. There are aspects of it that I've successfully incorporated (stopping when full, even taking home half or more of a restaurant meal instead of just finishing it) and that is valuable.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #322
Big Yapper!

Oh, just dive right in and do your favorite workout. Let the chips fall where they may. It's your life-time routine now. I wouldn't sweat it, Julie. Sorry you need a CD after one day of IE but that tells you something. One size does not fit all. I know it's not for me. My hunger never coincides with meal times. I'd have to live in a bubble, much like I had to when doing hhcg or Atkins.

I never heard that Amish phrase before. I like it!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #323
Big Yapper!!!!

Just had a rough day w/ dd (12). Aside from her attitude problem lately and having to crack the whip on her in school today, i added some phys ed to her day as she is clearly in bad shape. She now weighs 140lbs and is wearing the same size as me . She's going to try going LC now. We talked about it, and she wants to lose some lbs through LC. At 5'1" she's very overweight. I'm adding her to my gym membership and she will be going with me. It's been hard to watch her make bad choices. I have gently tried to encourage her in this area, but she's easily offended and i didnt want to drive her to bigger issues w/ her weight. I want more for her and from her. She needs to want it for herself. How do you motivate a lazy 12yo? It's breaking my heart. All the years and work I've put into my own weight loss battle. I'm finally where I've always wanted to be. Now I need to get her where she needs to be.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #324
Big Yapper!

I feel for you both, Julie. It's not easy for either of you. Hopefully she will find that she likes the endorphin rush of exercising. And as she tones up and drops lbs, she'll start seeing how differently people in her peer group treat her. When it's time to start dating, she'll be thanking you for stepping up to the plate. At least you practice what you preach! I wish I could say the same for MY mother.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #325
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
I feel for you both, Julie. It's not easy for either of you. Hopefully she will find that she likes the endorphin rush of exercising. And as she tones up and drops lbs, she'll start seeing how differently people in her peer group treat her. When it's time to start dating, she'll be thanking you for stepping up to the plate. At least you practice what you preach! I wish I could say the same for MY mother.
My mother too!! You would think with the life I've lead, and example I've set (she's with me ALL the time, she sees me sacrifice and exercise and celebrate once I lose) that she'd be more careful and aware. She is 12. I need to remember that. And she does love to eat. She's SO much like me it's a bit freaky at times. I had the same struggle at her age, and just couldn't wrap my head around trying to change my eating and exercise level to lose weight. I also didn't have a good example or any help. I hope I can get through to her and she can make good changes now. I need to keep her busier so food is less available and appealing. I am also bribing her . I do better w. incentive and know she will too. So, if she can drop 10lbs in 2 weeks (shouldn't be that hard as at least 5 of them are brand new), she gets $20. When she loses that last 10 she gets $50. That's a lot of cash to a child, but to me? It's a drop in the bucket if it'll help motivate her to be serious about this.

I'm down a bit from my steak day. I have learned over the past 2 rounds that CDs really aren't that effective for me . I used to be able to drop 2-3lbs from them, nowadays I'm lucky to eek out 1.6. I will probably go back to my clean Atkins style induction days to get lower in (or back into) my window from now on, as the CDs are challenging mentally as well as lifestyle wise. Especially w/o the reward at the end. I'm confident I'd have lost just as much eating regular P3 yesterday . I think when I inevitably am out of window again, I will try out my theory.

That said, I'm going to just keep it clean, and light today. I'm going to slightly override hunger (gasp!!) and not eat every time I'm hungry. I need a good lower cal day in order to get back into window, and hopefully a bit below the upper limit!! I've been riding the top half of my maintenance window for too long and need to get down a bit. I'm in P4 and losing at this stage is supposed to be ok.

I'm also adding back exercise. (gasp again!) I'll ramp up to the weights slowly, start w. cardio. But I feel like mush and fear I'm losing too much of my recent muscle gains. I also need to help dd make that a higher priority so off we'll go.

So, that's my confusing update . Still happy and feeling comfy. Wishing I were lower, but ok w. it. It's all good .
Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #326
Big Yapper!

I wasn't done! Hold that thought.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #327
Big Yapper!

Is she excited about the money prizes for losing weight? Is that the best prize as far as she's concerned? I'm wondering if she likes to ride a bike (most kids do). That would be a fun thing you can do as a family and it burns tons of calories. It might show her that working out isn't always drudgery. If she turns that money-earned into snacks at the vending machines at school, all will be wasted. I think it's criminal that they have vending machines at school.

CD results: That's because you are "there"! So smile and be happy about that. Oh, happy day! Do you plan to eat LC for life now? Just wondering how you plan to eat for your lifetime maintenance plan. Have you thought about No S? If you could eat all your favorite foods and still maintain your weight, how would you eat each day? (I'm not talking all rotten foods, but foods that are healthy for you and yet make you content.)

WTG on adding back exercise! That is fabulous news. I know how much you love it and it will burn off some of those calories you are eating. So what if you bump up a bit on the scale for a week or two? It's only temporary. Don't let it go to your head and cause you to wig-out. It's time!

What does your gym offer in the way of fun things like basketball and racquetball courts? Is there a pool? Maybe those things you can do together and actually have some fun while getting fit. Maybe even ride recumbent bikes together and make it a race. Get a prize for winning the race? Just brainstorming here.

I truly believe that with the working out and finding a WOE that makes you happy, you will hit your "stride for life" and you will be able to stay at your goal weight indefinitely. Here's to finding that comfort zone! That happy place!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #328
Big Yapper!!!!

Cheryl-she's really excited about the $. I chose that as an incentive since she really wants a hamster but we told her we won't buy her one (we have 2 dogs, a cat, a frog, and 2 fish). So, she's very motivated. She's even going out to dinner w/ a friend for her birthday tonight, for Mexican (which is really hard for me!!) and she's all ready to be strong. WE'll see how that goes .

My gym is pretty basic. We have group fitness classes (we'll try zumba together) and we do run on the treadmill or do the elliptical together which is nice. She wants to lift weights, but I don't like her doing that until she's well through puberty. I can let her try light weights, but she likes heavier ones. Little monkey. Just running will help a lot.

I'm not sure what I'll do long term. I'm sticking to pretty LC for now until I'm back down to LDW area (hopefully this week). I plan to reintroduce higher carbs and see where I land. I'm only hesitant w. the exercise b/c it makes me gain. I don't know that I want to mess around too much, btw sugar/starch + exercise-that could be serious gains if I'm not vigilant. Sigh.

I'm up for the challenge. I'm ready to live life and this is all part of it!! I just don't want to pop back up to the 150's in the process. I'm going to work hard this week to get down a bit toward LDW (147.2). Then I'll have at least a bit of cushion w. the carbs and exercise .

That's my current plan. I like the No "S" plan, but I'm not sure I can stick to that long term. Snacking may happen depending on how we're living. And I will always have to keep a tight reign on carbs so the "s" days would do me in. I like the idea, and will likely indulge more on those days naturally. I'm still working out all the details. But I'm excited to practice !!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #329
Big Yapper!

It's tough to be strong with Mexican food! One of my favorites and one that I hardly ever get to indulge. I'm glad she's jazzed about the money (and the Hamster.) I hope the cat leaves it alone. It would be very tempting to feline eyes.

Do you see a big difference in your body between where you want your weight to be forevermore and where you think it might land while working out hard and eating reasonably? Seems like if you were toned and solid in the low to mid 50's, that's better than flabby and squishy in the mid 40's. Right?

I just wrote a long post on my journal if you are interested. Too pooped to repost!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #330
Big Yapper!!!!

Dd did great at dinner w. her friends. She asked for a plain chicken breast on a plate, and that's what she got!! Her friends were very concerned for her, and kept offering her more food, but she withstood the temptation and stayed strong. So proud of her!! And for "dessert" they went to this Hawaiian shave ice place and she got the SF flavor w/ the SF cream added. She said it was "ok" but she stayed on plan and felt really good about it!! That was so nice to hear!! She was very excited to come home and tell me all about it. I was really proud of her.

After that, it went downhill :dowh:. She gave me some attitude about her life not being "fair" as I wouldn't let her stay up late (9:45 at the time of our conversation) to watch a TV show she liked. She had a great fun-filled day, and I kinda' lost it on her when she said it wasn't "fair". Really? You went out to dinner and dessert w. your friend, while we stayed home and had leftovers. Is that fair? Yes, I'm watching my TV show right now, but I would have rather been out!! This is where I have issue w. her. She doesn't seem to appreciate what she's got. Being homeschooled is a sacrifice for ME. She's got a much lighter load than her peers, and she really doesn't appreciate it. I guess it's part of her being 12, but I pray she cultivates an attitude of gratitude. She's so spoiled, but she used to appreciate all the blessings in her life. Now she's becoming this adolescent self-absorbed girl. I am trying to redirect her and hope the discipline, workload and structure she'll face today helps. I'm praying for divine wisdom and patience as I instruct her. It's hard, in my flesh I want to yell and scream and punish the heck out of her until she realizes her pride. But, in love I just need to pray, be consistent and calm, and keep the boundaries in place. She's a smart girl and will figure it out. It's just hard in the meantime. .

Ok, feeling better Just had to get that out

Weight wise- I'm still up from my weekend. I didn't think I did that much damage, but it's not going down as quickly as I'd like it to. Or expect it to . I had pretty high protein and high fat the past 2 days, low carb. I wonder if my body really responds to low carb as well these days . I'm going "back" to higher carbs today and will see what that brings. Sigh.

This too shall pass. I'm really fine, just getting a bit overwhelmed when I focus too much on it. Keeping it all in perspective I'm doing great. .

Cheryl-you're right. I'm not out of my clothing or dramatically smaller or larger in 1 lb. But 5lbs can make all of my small clothes not fit well, so I want to keep this 1lb gain from becoming 5. I tend to rationalize it and justify a small gain, which becomes a slippery slope. I also tend to get bigger when I exercise, at least initially, which will add to the challenge. I think by the end of this week I should be back down to a lower 140 #, and was planning to add exercise in week 2 of P4, which is next week. I will try to get to the gym today for dd's sake but will take it easy.