Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #271
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Cheryl-the "no drinking" thing is good on many levels. The $ side would certainly be better spent on your gym!! It's a good way to spend time, meet people (maybe) and generally feel better. There is something to that seratonin/endorphin release too, I just feel better!! Dh is an all or nothing drinker. One beer or glass of wine is not an option for him. Thankfully he's reached the point in his life when he accepts it and wants more from his life. It's been good for our whole family!! Hope you were able to sleep well last night. That's such an important part of the equation.

I'm doing well!! Back in the "zone". LDW+1 today. Afraid the exercise will need to be a separate chapter for me down the road . Sigh. One thing at a time, right?

My ratios the past 2 days were 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% carbs. I had a few choc covered almonds, and real frozen yogurt. And, I'm down or STS both days. My cals the first day were low, 1400, but yesterday I was around 1800 and even consciously overate my froyo (took too much and couldn't bring myself to throw it away) at 8PM. All that to say, I had tunafish the past 2 days and was successful my first week w. that. Fortunately I like it, and have plenty of it, so I'll be keeping that as part of my repertoire!

I'm not seriously anxious to add too much else in. I'm working on sticking the weight first, then I'll challenge it once it's a set point .
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #272
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mommylaw
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: January 1, 2012
Ok....I've been reading your whole thread..which I've try enjoyed! But this is driving me crazy - What is "GYCD"?? I'm usually good at figuring things like that out but this one has me.
mommylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #273
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Greek Yogurt Correction Day.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #274
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
Cheryl-the "no drinking" thing is good on many levels. The $ side would certainly be better spent on your gym!! It's a good way to spend time, meet people (maybe) and generally feel better. There is something to that seratonin/endorphin release too, I just feel better!! Dh is an all or nothing drinker. One beer or glass of wine is not an option for him. Thankfully he's reached the point in his life when he accepts it and wants more from his life. It's been good for our whole family!! Hope you were able to sleep well last night. That's such an important part of the equation.

I'm doing well!! Back in the "zone". LDW+1 today. Afraid the exercise will need to be a separate chapter for me down the road . Sigh. One thing at a time, right?

My ratios the past 2 days were 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% carbs. I had a few choc covered almonds, and real frozen yogurt. And, I'm down or STS both days. My cals the first day were low, 1400, but yesterday I was around 1800 and even consciously overate my froyo (took too much and couldn't bring myself to throw it away) at 8PM. All that to say, I had tunafish the past 2 days and was successful my first week w. that. Fortunately I like it, and have plenty of it, so I'll be keeping that as part of my repertoire!

I'm not seriously anxious to add too much else in. I'm working on sticking the weight first, then I'll challenge it once it's a set point .
I just now joined the gym! I was able to do it over the phone, which was nice. It will cost me just under $50/month but it is much cheaper than booze. And like you said, I will get SO MUCH MORE OUT OF IT. Unfortunately, I think I have that in common with your husband. I hope I can learn to be happy without it and not to feel like I'm missing out on something. I'm generally strong in the beginning but as time goes by (months and sometimes years,) I start feeling like maybe I could dabble in it on special occasions. Just doesn't stay that way, though.

I did sleep well last night! You're so thoughtful to always remember my insomnia issues. I took only one sublingual melatonin and the regular pm meds and turned off computer and tv and read a while. Worked well. Wish it always worked that well.

Here's to "sticking the weight"!! You're doing great, Julie.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #275
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mommylaw
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: January 1, 2012
Thanks Cheryl! I would never have figured that out! Now I can have peace...
mommylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #276
Big Yapper!

Peace is a good thing.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #277
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb294evr
Stats: 282/ working on it /140?
WOE: seaching for the right plan for ME
you are doing fantastic Julie!! Keep it up!
Deb294evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #278

I would like to add a WELL DONE with your comments in the HCG forums.. bravo.....
Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #279
Big Yapper!

Ooh! Can you copy and paste them over here? I wanna read 'em and I don't go on the hcg board anymore.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Ooh! Can you copy and paste them over here? I wanna read 'em and I don't go on the hcg board anymore.
I hope Julie does not mind. There is nothing bad about it Good stuff!!

Originally Posted by Katastic
I have NEVER in my academic career came across a text book that suggested eating high carbohydrate and low fat. You must keep in mind that a low carbohydrate diet was around long before Atkins, Dr. Atkins just brought it to the attention of the general public and pop culture. Also, I am not studying "nutrition" where the textbooks may have a chance of being inaccurate, I am studying biochemistry and molecular biology where the text books have not changed, they have just gotten more in depth and NOT A SINGLE ONE indorses properties that condone a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet.

You are WRONG. The scientific community has long stood behind Atkins teachings, as they directly reflect long-standing biochemical and physiological fact. The comunnity that will not change their views on nutrition are the politicians in Washington who are responsible for telling people what to eat and what not to eat as well as many medical doctors.

I have NEVER regarded the study of nutrition or the profession of a physician as 'scientific'. Currently in my school people who major in nutrition are not even required to take General Chemistry- how on earth can you expect these people to understand human metabolism at the molecular level without taking General Chemistry?!?!

When it comes to doctors, in order to follow a pre-med course line you are 'advised' to take up to General Organic Chemistry (which is 2 years of chemistry total), but it is only a suggestion and absolutely NO biochemistry classes are required (I.e. you can become a doctor without ever stepping foot in an organic chemistry laboratory).

You can major in Woman's Studies and still get into medical school, you just have to supplement with a handful of science classes here and there (actually majoring in something that is not science related can increase your chances of being accepted into medical school as these schools are trying to 'diversify' their students. Naturally however, you need a higher GPA then that of a science major to be competitive).

When a student gets to medical school their rest of their education is memorization and regurgitation from that point on. Doctors (unless they hold both a M.D. and a Ph.D, which is quite the accomplishment) do not conduct research nor do they participate in the extrapolation of results of biochemical studies. They regurgitate the findings, often misinterpreting, to the general public in lay terms. In other words, they are not the lab rats, they are simply their messengers that tend to be better with people.

However the lack of actual hard 'science' ( i.e. physics, chemistry, mathematics) in the medical field too often results in scientific findings being twisted and skewed due to the physicians lack of ability to comprehend the general components of scientific studies. Unfortunately, this problem is likely to remain because not everyone is as excited about biochemistry as I am and are willing to commit a huge amount of their time to it's study.

So when you say that the scientific community refused to change their standpoint you are wrong, because doctors and politicians are not part of the scientific comunnity. They are the persons who directly intract with it and the ones responsible for the wide spread of incorrect information (along with Google), but when it comes to the true scientists (and the true science textbooks for that matter) we have agreed with Atkins long before he wrote his book.

Julie's response:

At the risk of offending you, how long is your "academic career"? You're currently in college, right? I'm assuming (perhaps falsely) that you're 20ish? When we're in the middle of learning something new and exciting, it can be tempting to miscommunicate our enthusiasm and come off condescending or haughty to your audience. I doubt that is your intention, but that is how you are coming accross. There is an arrogance associated with education. But remember you're not "done" yet. Just as you know a lot more about biological functions this year than you did last year, next year you'll know something new. We're all learning and sharing our knowledge w. one another.

You're confusing basic biology, our cellular metabollic functions, with nutrition and diet. And if you think your classes on biochem or biology are exhaustive, and completely explain or even begin to truly understand the intricacies of the human body, you're selling yourself short. The more you learn about the body, the more you'll realize how much you don't know or understand. And I agree most "nutritionists" are useless (sorry if I'm offending anyone here). But there is actual scientific research being done on diet and nutrition.

And, Doctors are scientists. To call them anything less is insulting. They've had many years of scientific education, likely more than you have had, and may plan to have. Scientists, as well as Dr's, have not "agreed" with Atkins or low carb living. Some brave ones, who are not afraid to challenge the establishment, endorse it. But the majority of the scientific community think low-carb dieting is a fad, or ruse. I also agree w. you that Dr's are not all knowing or continually educated individuals. But they are scientists.

I don't want to get into an academic challenge with you. I've BTDT and don't have anything to prove in my scientific life. Several patents, years of education and actual industy experience allow me to humbly say, keep it all in perspective. As much as you think you "know" now, you would have to agree that each of our bodies are different and there are many extenuating circumstances w.i. our bodies that baffle our "scientific" knowledge of how things *should* work. Why did LC stop working for you? Metabolically, biochemically, why? It's beyond our understanding sometimes. Some things can't be explained, or don't fit what we know.

I don't want you to leave the forum. I like your insights and enjoy lively challenges. It's all part of life and growing together. We're all doing the best we can to improve our lives. Supporting each other is an important part of it.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...s-journal.html
Old 08-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #281
Big Yapper!

Yow! Sorry I missed that one on the other thread. Thank you for posting it here for lazy old me!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #282
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb294evr View Post
I would like to add a WELL DONE with your comments in the HCG forums.. bravo.....
Thanks Deb . I was both insulted and annoyed by what she had to say, and then embarrassed that she was giving scientists a bad rep. I do see a bunch of crazy ideas and diets out there, but ya' gotta' live and let live .

I'm having a good day. I ate out last night and overdid it on the calories last night, and am up 1lb. Still in my window and thrilled!! I've eaten a lot today so far too, but working on listening to my hunger. I know there'll be some froyo later as we're heading ot my mom's house and my favorite froyo place is there. Still taking it 1 day at a time, and w.o. exercise I think it's going quite well!!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #283
Big Yapper!

Enjoy that froyo! Have a nice evening, Julie.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #284

You are doing great! I tell you Julie, you sure held it in better than I would have.. good for you! KIDS these days...

I had to think a minute about what froyo was.. now I get it..... old age here too...

ENJOY and have a great weekend!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #285
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: urban refugee
Stats: 180/172/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2012
Well played on the "NEVER", "WRONG", "NO" reply! You were much more generous and kind than I would have been.
urban refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leisha
Stats: 210/195/155
WOE: Weight Watchers 360
Start Date: May 2014 this round!
Good words Julie! I must be way old because I'm not getting the froyo thing figured out!
leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #287
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb294evr View Post
You are doing great! I tell you Julie, you sure held it in better than I would have.. good for you! KIDS these days...

I had to think a minute about what froyo was.. now I get it..... old age here too...

ENJOY and have a great weekend!
I'm glad it came accross that way!! I was worried I sounded harsh . Thx!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban refugee View Post
Well played on the "NEVER", "WRONG", "NO" reply! You were much more generous and kind than I would have been.
Thanks!! I try I'm pretty sure she's young and doesn't realize she isn't an expert or scientist, yet. I applaud her enthusiasm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisha View Post
Good words Julie! I must be way old because I'm not getting the froyo thing figured out!
Frozen yogurt my favorite treat/vice . Thx!!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leisha
Stats: 210/195/155
WOE: Weight Watchers 360
Start Date: May 2014 this round!
Oh!!! Frozen yogurt!! Yum!!
leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #289
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy to report I'm down to 148.2 today! Had almost 2000 calories yesterday, generous serving of froyo, Red Robin for dinner (only ate half of their rad robin burger-fried egg and bacon on top!!) and a Cesar salad- and I'm still down a bit from Friday's indulgence! Wow! I really feel like I'm stabilizing. Like I can listen to hunger and actually eat, without gaining right away!! I'm so thankful!! I view this as a HUGE blessing from God. I hope and pray that I continue to appreciate this and take it seriously! Thankfully it's a while until we have a vacation again, and this one is a "stay cation" here in AZ. Labor day week at a lovely Westin resort in town. Swimming, reading, eating . Dh will only be staying through the weekend, as he's got to work. I'll bring my scale, and GY, just in case . But, I plan/hope to stay in range .

I wonder when I'm "stable enough" to add exercise back? I miss weight lifting (can't believe I said that!) and I will prob do a Zumba class or some cardio soon-I don't think that messed up the scale as much.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #290

Wonderful job Julie!!!

Isn't it crazy that adding exercise and weight lifting affects our weight upwards? That is contrary to what you would think, except we do know that it increases water retention for a while, and can increase our hunger.

HOW do the folks on The Biggest Loser do it? They exercise for hours!! how do they continue to lose so much weight? I know they also eat more cals.

Oh well, good luck with your stacation when it gets here!!! That sounds so NICE!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #291
Big Yapper!

Very happy for you, Julie. Sta-cations can be wonderful. Sounds very restful and laid-back.

When you say "weight lifting", are you referring to the machines or free weights? What is your typical routine when you are in full-gym mode? I hope that when you get back to the exercising that you love, you will actually drop a bit more in weight. As Deb said, look at the Biggest Losers!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmBee
Stats: 262/231.4/130
WOE: VLCD hHCG
Start Date: May 2012
You are inspiring!

Wow! I just stumbled on this last night! You are inspirational. So many wonderful people around here. Your story really hits home with me and you have come so far!!!! AMAZING. I am headed downward from 262 and am currently at 227.4 after finishing a lOOOONG round of HCG. I am in the stabilizing stage but due to a kidney infection have had to add back some healthy carbs ...cut back on the protein/ fat just a bit. The good news is I have been here for 9 days and am on the lower side of the two pounds. I am debating as to whether to even do another round. Do you think it could have helped cause the kidney infection / issues?? I am not sure.( I saw that you have dealt with these before) Anyway keep up the good work, Hope you don't think me stalkerish reading the journal...hahaa
EmBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #293
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmBee View Post
Wow! I just stumbled on this last night! You are inspirational. So many wonderful people around here. Your story really hits home with me and you have come so far!!!! AMAZING. I am headed downward from 262 and am currently at 227.4 after finishing a lOOOONG round of HCG. I am in the stabilizing stage but due to a kidney infection have had to add back some healthy carbs ...cut back on the protein/ fat just a bit. The good news is I have been here for 9 days and am on the lower side of the two pounds. I am debating as to whether to even do another round. Do you think it could have helped cause the kidney infection / issues?? I am not sure.( I saw that you have dealt with these before) Anyway keep up the good work, Hope you don't think me stalkerish reading the journal...hahaa
Not at all!! Glad to have you here! on the kidney infection I remember them!! Not sure, but your looooonnng round could have contributed to it? From what I learned diet, fluid and vitamin/mineral can effect them. How long did you go? I get so depleted by the end of even 3 weeks I couldn't go much longer than that. You've done really well!! I think if you take the recommended break and feed and rest your body well, you'll be just fine doing another round. I lost the bulk of my weight through Atkins. But I just couldn't get down to "normal" weights until I found hcg. Hope you're feeling better quickly!!

Cheryl- there are so many different ideas when it comes to weight training. There's a book called New Rules of Lifting for Women (your library may have it) that has a program I would recommend for beginners. It's a progressive plan and you can work through the stages at your own pace. Good explanations of the exercises themselves. That said, I'm a huge fan of slow weight training. Slow Burn, Power of 10, etc. You can find more online and there is a thread with the Slow Burn guru (Fred Hahn) even posting here on LCF. There're books available on this too, and it's a bit counter culture from most trainer's recommendations (I'm a rebel you know ). You basically build up to the heaviest weight you can budge, and do about 8 reps to toally fatigue your muscle. You move the weight VERY slowly (count to 10 on the way down, then 10 on the way back up). It's much more gently on your tendons and joints. Once perfected you can get done in 30-45/min a week . That's my goal.

I prefer free weights, but when you are trying to max out weight while minimizing reps, the universal sets (where you can adjust weight by 2.5 or 5lbs pretty easily) are pretty convenient. I do a mix of several things right now. The other nice thing about the machines is that it kinda' limits your range of motion, and can prevent you from messing up your form. W. free weights it's pretty critical to keep your form just right. .

I would STRONGLY encourage you to lift!! Don't be afraid of heavy weights!! You will NOT bulk up! You'll actually lean down (eventually, there will be some fluid retention in the beginning). Maybe you could have a free training session w. your new membership? I'll bet if you asked for it you would. It's nice to have someone show you how to do things, and maybe even write down some recommendations for you.

Deb-I wonder about the BL too!! That first week's losses (we all know) are easy!! That's when the largest inflammation gains will take place, but they're offset by the rapid loss (I know they all "load" before starting the show to artificially increase their "start" weights, making the first week's losses even more dramatic-just like w. hcg). I think the sheer amount of time they doing cardio/weights (8-10hrs a day!!), combined with a low calorie diet, eventually their bodies just give up and lose!! It's not a healthy or even long term effective way to do it. But they do build a nice base of muscle as they're losing which makes them look even better by the end!!

All this exercise talk has me wishing I could hit the gym (almost!!). I've off to Walmart . We're out of eggs, milk, etc. Again!!

I had Sweet T's for lunch, which has historically been my nemesis w. weight loss. Always go up 2-3 lbs and out of window the next day!! I'm really hoping this time I'm going to fare better. I was more in control, only had a broth based soup (chicken tortilla w. extra chicken from the chik noodle) and salads - yum! And I did have some SF choc mousse and some froyo. I'm full now, but was REALLY hungry before we went. Glad i'm satisfied now. That may be al I eat the rest of the day. If I get hungry again I'll have something. If not, I'm good .
Old 08-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #294
Big Yapper!

Julie, I'm sorry to crash your thread and not read your latest post, but I have big news and I have to share it or I'll just die!!!

The Vet Dr called me just now at 10 pm and we talked for almost 20 minutes in a casual sort of interview. He reviewed my resume and he's interested in meeting face-to-face for a real interview (if you can call meeting at Starbucks a "real interview.") He's going to be on the road and says he will be in the vacinity of Starbucks at 1:30 pm. So I'm going tomorrow for an interview!!!

I will be rescheduling my plan to meet with the gym lady and make that Tuesday morning or Wednesday morning/afternoon. OMG! This is HUGE! Please pray that I don't mess this interview up! It's so hard to tell someone you are collecting disability insurance and that you are fully capable of doing what they need you to do.

If it wasn't so darn late, I'd be calling my sister Donna. I'm about to scream! I never would have expected a call at 10 pm. I didn't recognize the number on the caller ID but I answered it just the same. I'm so glad I did!

Ladies, I will be back tomorrow to tell how it went. Please do pray for me! This could be a total answer to prayer.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #295
Big Yapper!

It's late but I promise to come back and read your post tomorrow. And I'll tell you how the interview went, okay? PRAY!!! Pray that I can express to him that I'm on disability but am totally suited for this job. I'm a perfect match for their practice.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #296
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
It's late but I promise to come back and read your post tomorrow. And I'll tell you how the interview went, okay? PRAY!!! Pray that I can express to him that I'm on disability but am totally suited for this job. I'm a perfect match for their practice.

How exciting!! Called at 10pm? Crazy!! I'll certainly be praying! Let me know how it goes. I may not be online midday tomorrow but I'll be praying, and hope you can communicate the disability situation while reassuring him you're able to do the job. I'd suggest a trial period. That would protect you as well, just in case it's not quite what you're expecting. I'm sure you'll bring up your work w/ the horses. Very excited for you!!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #297
Big Yapper!!!!

Cheryl-hope the interview went well and you got a chance to ask questions too!! Let me know!! I've been praying .

I am up a lb today. But, only 1!!! I am at the top of my window, but thrilled to be in it (truthfully, a few of my weights were 0.2 out of the window, but enough were right at 149.2 that I'm taking it!!). I ate out a LOT this weekend, and not 100% sugar and starch free. And, I'm still in my window!! I call that stable, successful and goal!! Even after Sweet T's, which I love but doesn't love me . I am really pleased, happy and delighted today!! I'm so thankful that God has blessed me w. this current weight, health, stability!!

My temps are good, lower than during my refeed (97 instead of 97.6) but still higher than they used to be. I'm taking my supplement, and looking forward to adding in more sugar or starch this weekend. I think I'll be able to handle it if I take it slowly. We'll see. I also think once I add more carbs back in, my temps will go up a bit more, which should mean my metabolism is picking up even more, making my weight (hopefully) remain stable. We'll see about all that this weekend. Until then, I'm happy, eating well, and w.i. my range.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #298
Big Yapper!

The interview went really well! We were talking (he, his wife and I) for over an hour. I texted my sister afterward and wrote, "Slam Dunk! But it's not a done-deal yet." I still have to fill out an application and fax it to them tomorrow. When we parted company, the woman said they had more interviews to go do, but I really felt it went as well as I dared to hope it would. My enthusiasm came shining through and I appeared confidant and I was very open and honest about everything.

I will let you know the end result! Thank you so much for your prayers. Keep 'em coming!

(Promise to get caught up on posts!!! PROMISE!)
Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #299
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Congrats Cheryl !! WTG !!
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #300
Big Yapper!

Thanks, ladies!!! I'm happy but waiting for the word. I have to fill out and fax back the employment application and provide some references but I am hoping this works out as it seems like it might. Now if I can just stop feeling so dang overheated and am able to tolerate being gowned/gloved/and masked up for surgical procedures, I'll be able to handle everything else.