Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Speck's Primal Blueprint 21 "Day" Transformation

I've decided to start this journal to help me track my progress working through Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint 21 Day Total Body Transformation plan and workbook, and share my successes and struggles with other Primal enthusiasts, and my friends, on LCF.
I already consider myself "semi-Primal" because I embrace the ideas behind the Primal way of life, and have already enacted many of the principles, but I have a lot of fine-tuning to go through before I can confidently call myself "Primal".
The reason why I put "Day" in quotes in the journal title is because I don't think I will be able to accomplish the daily challenges Mark proposes daily. If each "day" in the workbook takes me two or three days, or a whole week, so be it. Also, I won't be explaining every detail of the daily challenges so as to not violate Mark's copyright on the book.
Feel free to join me in discussion as I journal my PB transition.

Last edited by Speck333; 01-11-2012 at 04:13 PM..
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Day 1 part one

I'm still working through reading the three PB (Primal Blueprint) books that I got for Christmas -- the Original Primal Blueprint, the 21 Day Transformation, and a cook book. But I have been reading MDA (Mark's Daily Apple) for quite some time now and I get the "gist" of it all.

The Day 1 Challenges include purging the kitchen and pantry of SAD (Standard American Diet) foods and restock with Primal foods. We're looking pretty good in this department already. Unfortunately, my husband is not as "gung ho" about nutrition as I am and even though neither of us eats much in the way of junk, he still brings home some chips and cereal for the kids. This has actually gotten a lot better over the last few months (no more cookies or frozen waffles), and was never as bad as some families (a Little Debbie snack cake has never appeared in my home, nor have sugary soft drinks). I'm afraid I cannot comply with the "total purge" aspect of this challenge. I, however, do not eat these things.
My fridge and freezers are full of meat and fresh veggies and some berries and I have good oils (and some not so good) and tons of spices in the cupboard.
One aspect of being Primal that I'm going to have trouble with is the grass-fed meats, organic this and that... I just don't have the money to buy them or the time to drive around town to 5 different stores to get them. Maybe over time, a little here and there, but not all at once.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I'm here and I will be back to aee whats happening

good luck
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Dasiey!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
I'm watching too.
mamasooze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Good to see you Mamasooze!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

"Day 1" part 2

The "Challenges" outlined for Day 1 also include exercise and lifestyle changes. PB advocates against "chronic cardio" and extended periods of intense working out. Mark wants us to start off slowly by simply moving more throughout our day. He has several suggestions. At this time, I can commit to incorporating a daily walk with the dogs. I have been wanting to do this for a long, long, long time. I seem to only be able to get out for two days in a row, and then something comes up and that's that. I would prefer a morning walk, but that just doesn't fit into my schedule routinely. After dinner would be better. I'm shooting for that starting today.
Lifestyle changes include letting the last couple hours of the day in the evening be free from digital distractions. He suggest lowering the lights, turning off the tv, the computer... etc. Even sitting around in semi-darkness with candlelight, reading, or talking or doing something relaxing. While I definitely see the worth of this, my husband would not be on board with me turning off the lights and tv at 9pm. lol What I can do, and what I would really like to do, is turn off some of the lights, and nix my computer time the last hour before I go to bed and read a paper book or magazine, or work on something non-digital and relaxing like a craft project.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
The "Challenges" outlined for Day 1 also include exercise and lifestyle changes. PB advocates against "chronic cardio" and extended periods of intense working out. Mark wants us to start off slowly by simply moving more throughout our day. He has several suggestions. At this time, I can commit to incorporating a daily walk with the dogs. I have been wanting to do this for a long, long, long time. I seem to only be able to get out for two days in a row, and then something comes up and that's that. I would prefer a morning walk, but that just doesn't fit into my schedule routinely. After dinner would be better. I'm shooting for that starting today.
Lifestyle changes include letting the last couple hours of the day in the evening be free from digital distractions. He suggest lowering the lights, turning off the tv, the computer... etc. Even sitting around in semi-darkness with candlelight, reading, or talking or doing something relaxing. While I definitely see the worth of this, my husband would not be on board with me turning off the lights and tv at 9pm. lol What I can do, and what I would really like to do, is turn off some of the lights, and nix my computer time the last hour before I go to bed and read a paper book or magazine, or work on something non-digital and relaxing like a craft project.
Good luck with the nigh time thing. I have just about given up ever getting more than 6 solid hours of sleep each night. My biggest problem is that my bladder only lets me sleep that long and once I'm awake I seldom go (right) back to sleep. I've tried everything--no caffeine, check. No liquids after 5pm, check. No nap, check. No salad for dinner, check. No alcohol, check. Nothing seems to work. The bladder rules

I'm getting better--it used to be 5 hours.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

I also have to limit fluids in the evening or else I have to use the restroom several times after I go to sleep. Last night was fairly successful though. I turned off the side light and put the computer and iphone away for the last two hours I was up. And I actually felt more tired when it was time to go to bed. The dog walk didn't happen though. By the time after dinner came, I was just so unmotivated. Today is another day though!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Day 2 Challenges part 1

The Day 2 Challenges from the book suggest a "Primal Shopping Spree", which I don't need to do as I'm already pretty well stocked. But as I read through the very thorough list provided, I am at once encouraged and discouraged. I see very clearly how "unprimal" many of the foods in my home are, and even foods I eat. As I said before, a major underpinning of the Primal food philosophy is towards organics, free range chicken and eggs, grass fed meats, wild-caught fish, and so forth. I wonder how "Primal" I can be if I don't eat these foods. I understand the CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) meat and eggs have undesirable omega 6:3 ratios, possibly hormones, etc. Almost all of the meat and eggs I buy comes from Costco, which, by all accounts is higher quality that what I can get at say, Wal Mart. I just hope it's better than nothing.
Two other problem spots are mayonnaise/salad dressings (ranch, Italian) and peanut butter. I have tried making my own mayo, and so far have not found an oil that works. I have researched recipes and reviews, and other people find the same thing -- nothing tastes the same as good old "Best Foods" brand mayo made with soybean oil. I can't say I eat massive quantities of mayo, but it is used quite liberally around here. So is peanut butter. I don't eat much of it, but a spoonful here and there quiets the sweet tooth and the "munchies". Unfortunately, I can't even get my kids to eat natural peanut butter. It has to be Skippy, with sugar, and stupid soybean oil added. Argg! I would much prefer to get them on almond butter or sunflower seed butter, or the like, but it's so expensive and my husband just would not be on board. I feel so conflicted. I know what's the best thing (or at least less bad things) to feed my kids, but I am not "queen of the kitchen" as it were. DH does as much with the kids as I do, and he does the weekly grocery shopping.
My action plan for these areas are to go to the store myself and buy a couple peanut butter alternatives and try them on the kids. Who knows? Maybe they will like them better (fat chance, but I have to try, right?).
And I will continue to experiment with making my own salad dressings. Ranch is a big problem. The only one we like is Hidden Valley made from the packets with mayo and milk. Two problems here. The packets have sugar, corn starch, and other undesirables, and I use Best Foods mayo to make it with. I can experiment with different recipes to get the right flavor, and pray the family will like it just as well, but the mayo thing is still an issue.
Until I find an oil that has no, or light, flavor and color, I'm not sure what to do about the mayo thing.

I forgot one small success! I have successfully convinced DH to buy whole milk instead of 1% or 2%. I convinced him they needed the fat. Perhaps, I can convince him to get the organic brand from cows not fed the hormones. :crosses fingers:

Tomorrow, will address Part 2 of Day 2.

Last edited by Speck333; 01-13-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Old 01-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Day 2 Part 2

The second part of the Day 2 Challenges include having some moderate duration aerobic exersice and having a calm relaxing evening. I am working well on the second of these two... dimming the lights near me and not playing, or working, on the computer or iphone the last couple hours before bed (tv is another matter). Exercise is another story though. I can't even seem to take the dogs on a stupid short walk. I used to enjoy running, but can't seem to get myself back into a routine. I doubt I will have time today, but tomorrow I can take the kids to the park and run around the walking path while they play on the playground. I've done this many times in the past. That is, providing I have the energy to do it.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Hey Speck. Popping in to read your journal.

I wouldn't stress too much about "how primal" you are. Do what you can do, and be confident that it is better than the SAD. We do have the blessing of being able to have grass-fed meat and free range chicken and eggs because we raise them ourselves. But our chickens don't lay enough to keep up with our needs, so I supplement with grocery store eggs. But I don't buy organic veggies or fruits. Just can't afford it.

On the peanut butter, getting the kids to eat the natural. What if, when the regular stuff is about half gone, you get a jar of the natural and mix half of that with the regular (or make it 3/4 reg, 1/4 nat at first, then got 1/2 and 1/2, and finally 1/4 and 3/4). Maybe doing it gradually they won't notice the change. My kids eat pb too. They aren't very paleo at all actually. But I'm making small changes that over time will add up. I got my 18 yo to start using Stevia in his tea rather than 3 tsp of sugar.

I like the night ideas. I think I'm going to try to implement that.

Oh, and I'm pathetic when it comes to exercise too. I did some squats, lunges and wall push ups a couple days ago. Today was a dd so I didn't feel like exercising (but I painted my pantry, so I'm counting that, lol). I've got to move tomorrow somehow though.

Last edited by mykidsteacher; 01-14-2012 at 06:28 PM..
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for that MKT. The peanut butter transition is such a good idea! I grew up on Laura Scudder's all natural, no sugar added peanut butter, so I think it tastes just fine, but I'm the only one here who does. I wish Costco still sold their organic natural peanut butter. I do the Costco shopping, DH does the regular store. If I put natural PB on the list, he will probably NOT get it.
In other news, I managed to approximate Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing! I found some recipes online and made one and I think it is fantastic. For starters it looks identical to the HV packet dressing, so no one will suspect it is any different at first. Second, the seasoning is just the same as well, only this batch is tangier than the packet mix, which I think is because I didn't have any buttermilk on hand, so I had to sour regular milk with lemon juice. I will get some buttermilk this week and try again. In any case, this is *it*, this family is not going to go back to the package mix if I can make it from scratch and it tastes pretty much the same and doesn't have all the funky ingredients in it: Maltodextrin, Buttermilk, Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Dried Garlic, Dried Onion, Lactic Acid, Calcium Lactate, Citric Acid, Spices, Artificial Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Calcium Stearate, Carboxymethylcellulose, Guar Gum.
I just about died when I saw it has MSG in it! And whatever the heck Carboxymethylcellulose is! lol
Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Ooh, mind linking me the recipe please? I love Ranch, but have been making due with a balsamic vinagrette because of the milk issues. I'll use almond or rice milk, but it's ok with me if it's just close. I'm going to try my own mayo this week too.

Last edited by mykidsteacher; 01-14-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Old 01-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
Good luck Speck! Hope you keep posting your amazing weekly menus too!
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
subbing and cheering you on! and man i am with you i wish i could afford all organic grass fed!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Ooh, mind linking me the recipe please? I love Ranch, but have been making due with a balsamic vinagrette because of the milk issues. I'll use almond or rice milk, but it's ok with me if it's just close. I'm going to try my own mayo this week too.
I can't find the website again! But I printed it out:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
pinch dried thyme

mix all and chill.

I used a bit more parsley and onion powder, and a bit less pepper, and just a dash of ground thyme. If you have the regular dried thyme, use a pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Good luck Speck! Hope you keep posting your amazing weekly menus too!
Thanks Luca! Of course I will. New menu coming in the a.m.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
subbing and cheering you on! and man i am with you i wish i could afford all organic grass fed!
Thanks Deb!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/193 on WW/174since LC Aug 1st/166
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011
This all sounds great! I think I want to get the books and read up! Thanks for sharing!
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
ok i am caught up now on reading.

I would have to have about 3 jobs to do all the grass fed
and organic stuff.

I just do the best I can.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #20

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi Speck, stopping by to say hi

Looks like you have been working the challenge seriously! Bravo!
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmileyf View Post
This all sounds great! I think I want to get the books and read up! Thanks for sharing!
That's cool! Thanks for stopping by

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
ok i am caught up now on reading.

I would have to have about 3 jobs to do all the grass fed
and organic stuff.

I just do the best I can.
I guess that's part of the 80/20 thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Hi Speck, stopping by to say hi

Looks like you have been working the challenge seriously! Bravo!
Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Day 3

The Day 3 Challenges from the book have to do with diet and exercise. Mark suggests planning a Primal dinner party, or small celebration with the family. I have no interest in hosting a dinner party. lol. And I celebrate feeding my family high quality, non-SAD, tasty, meals every night as it is. I take deep satisfaction in my control over dinner. It's just about the only meal I do have control over. And I console myself that at least my children are getting a low carb, healthy meal at least once a day. The other diet challenge has to do with boycotting industrialized food. We rarely eat out as it is. Don't by frozen meals (frozen veggies don't count!) and so forth. He talks about finding local sources for everything, and this is not as easy as it might sound. But, here's my action plan... 1) I will visit our farmer's market twice a month and buy at least some of our produce there and 2) I'm going to seriously research (and hopefully actually do it) planting a winter garden. The winter here has been so mild, there's got to be some veggies I can plant now and not wait until the spring.

The exercise portion has to do with a full Primal exercise session. I'm looking forward to this and hope to accomplish it today. The other has to do with play. I will take the kids to the park later and actually play with them instead of watch them play. And maybe get a run in while we're there.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the recipe! And have fun playing at the park. My dd was asking when we can go to the park again. It's COLD here, but supposed to be warmer tomorrow. Maybe I'll see about taking her.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, pretty much total fail on the "move more" front so far. I had great aspirations for myself, it's all simple enough, and get, I'm a slug. I did manage to take the kids to the park, but then I just sat in the car and listened to the radio and wrote my grocery shopping list, and watched them while they played. I even got out my running clothes. But I didn't put them on. It was chilly and overcast, and that kind of weather makes me sleepy. In general lately, I have had a major case of slug-itis. I'm just.so.tired. Like mind-numbingly tired, so tired I'm in pain. I've always been a "tired person" and my energy is usually much better when I'm off sugar and carbs. I think the problem is our new bed. We got a new bed a few days ago and I'm not sleeping as well on it. Seems like I'm just taking a series of naps all night, and especially in the morning. I'm exhausted. I just hate to use the "tired" thing as an excuse because, as I said, I'm always tired, and I've just had to learn to push through it. If I was allowed, I'd sleep all day, I'm sure.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #25

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Speck, hope your energy improves and you start getting better sleep as you get used to your new bed. I, too have energy issues and totally understand how the head is willing, but the body is not.....I am also beginning to think that I need to work on establishing a habit that will help with exercising.
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
stopping by too to say hello!!

we seem to have a lot in common as far as the family stuff goes.

Today will be day 1 for me in the 21 day challenge, even though I'd be on "day," 15 by now, LOL!!!
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Speck, hope your energy improves and you start getting better sleep as you get used to your new bed. I, too have energy issues and totally understand how the head is willing, but the body is not.....I am also beginning to think that I need to work on establishing a habit that will help with exercising.
That's it exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
stopping by too to say hello!!

we seem to have a lot in common as far as the family stuff goes.

Today will be day 1 for me in the 21 day challenge, even though I'd be on "day," 15 by now, LOL!!!
Hey Betty! Don't worry about how long it takes to get through each day, and don't beat yourself up for not completing everything on the list. Mark doesn't want us to stress out about it.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Nothing new to report today or yesterday. Just trying to work through my energy issues. I plan to take a look at the Primal exercises again tomorrow and see what I can do and then take a look at the Day 4 Challenges.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Nothing new to report today or yesterday. Just trying to work through my energy issues. I plan to take a look at the Primal exercises again tomorrow and see what I can do and then take a look at the Day 4 Challenges.
I took Mark's advice to just go RUN...took DGD aged 4 to the park on Monday *she was off for MLK Day* and I told her "Baby, you run and let Mimi catch you" and she scampered off and I just flat out ran after her. Did that several times and my little primal darling started dragging dead branches along a big path (we had a windstorm and lots of branches were down). She gets it.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
I took Mark's advice to just go RUN...took DGD aged 4 to the park on Monday *she was off for MLK Day* and I told her "Baby, you run and let Mimi catch you" and she scampered off and I just flat out ran after her. Did that several times and my little primal darling started dragging dead branches along a big path (we had a windstorm and lots of branches were down). She gets it.
That's awesome. I need to do that. My kids would love it if I chased them! You know, I felt so pathetic that day at the park. I was watching them play on the playground equipment and I thought, I should just go swing on the swings. I don't care how silly I would look. Just GO DO IT. But I just couldn't at that time. Next time I will swing and chase them and PLAY with them!