Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Speck, you do eat lots of hearts!

I hope you can find a kind of exercise that fits in your everyday life. I don't do as much as I ought/need..., but what I do helps me a great deal.

Hope your day is especially nice.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #92
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Thanks Auntie Em. Did you see my results from measuring the the arm bones? Post #88.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Speck, thanks. I had missed #88. Thank you for measuring. If I find something solid, I'll get back to you. I appreciate your taking the time to do that.

ETA: Not that wikipedia is a valid source, but did find an entry here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seconda...characteristic

under sub-heading "Female":

Upper arms approximately 2 cm longer, on average, for a given height[6]

I'll see if I can find something more solid than wikipedia.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 03-16-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Old 03-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #94
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Speck, thanks. I had missed #88. Thank you for measuring. If I find something solid, I'll get back to you. I appreciate your taking the time to do that.

ETA: Not that wikipedia is a valid source, but did find an entry here:

Secondary sex characteristic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

under sub-heading "Female":

Upper arms approximately 2 cm longer, on average, for a given height[6]

I'll see if I can find something more solid than wikipedia.
I looked at the source Wikipedia had for this tidbit, and it's from a 1977 book by Desmond Morris. He has published a great deal on human and animal evolution, although I have heard him say some dubious things, I think he's credible. It just so happens my college's library has the book (Manwatching). I'll check it out and see what the stat is based on. The sentence "Upper arms approximately 2 cm longer, on average, for a given height" is really strange, and could mean a lot of things. Does it mean for men who are 5'5" their humeri 2 cm shorter than the humerii of women who are 5'5"? Interestingly, one of the males (a very small male) and one of the females I measured were very similar. He had a total arm length of 51.5cm, with a 29cm humerus. She had a total arm length of 52cm, with a 30 cm humerus. So even if we're talking about similarly sized males and females, at least based on these two, that's not the case.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

"Day" 14 Challenges

The book suggests tracking macronutrient intake and trying to be between 50-100 carbs. I have found I do fine on anything under 65-ish carbs. I don't gain and I feel alright. I don't lose weight either, but I've already found and established that's a calorie thing for me (probably). Anyway, this challenge isn't really relevant to me, as I track several times a week on *********, and pretty much know where I am from day to day.

Ah, Mark gives us an alert that the next day will be a fast day. Funny. Tomorrow is a down day for me anyway. I like to nearly fast on the weekend down days as it is. Usually just coffee in the morning, maybe a low carb yogurt or hardboiled egg in the afternoon, followed by more coffee. Then I eat a light dinner. Tomorrow is fish and green beans.

He says we should also take some time to reflect on our progress...
Well, like I've said before, I think the problems I have with being fully, perfectly Primal, are not going away just by me going through this workbook. I guess I had sort of hoped that doing the workbook would help me. But I'm beginning to realize that while it's helping me learn more about Primal, I was pretty much as Primal as I was going to get even before starting. A few minor food and lifestyle choices have been made. But I'm not at all impressed with my lack of motivation to exercise. I'm hoping things will improve with the weather and longer days, and with summer coming.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Speck, thanks for checking about the arm lengths. It might be one of those things I've heard and read about anecdotally, and then, occasionally notice when I see people. I am wondering if it is peculiar to particular groups, or merely one of those things such as noticing that many people drive cars which are painted red. Wish I had some catchy, humorous phrase to describe the "noticing red-colored cars" phenomenon.

I appreciate your reports about reading Mark's book, and being "Primal". Your posts have filled in some things I was wondering about, but had not formulated specific questions....

I didn't get serious about doing exercises each day, until I got very creaky, achy bones. That got me taking better care of myself. Exercising consistently when I was younger might have delayed the complaining bones.

Hope your day is going really nicely.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

I really am determined not to become a stiff, weak cratchity old woman. And I know I need to start ASAP if I'm going to stave that off. The thing I like about PEMs is that I don't have to set aside an hour, change into special clothes, rearrange my life around the exercise, etc. I can just do the squats, the pushups, etc., whenever and wherever I can. The problem is remembering! I am doing a squat challenge with a couple ladies on the other thread and hoping that establishes the habit.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #98
Blabbermouth!!!

"Day" 15

Mark discusses the role of intermittent fasting today. He says you shouldn't be famished upon waking and since you keep your carbs controlled on a Primal diet, your blood sugar should be in check. He says we should fast from last night's dinner for as long as we can, that is, without calories. I do JUDDD, which has me eating minimally every other day anyway, and while I don't do full fasts (no calories), today is an especially light day. Today I had coffee with cream at breakfast, then a hard boiled egg late in the afternoon, followed by a bit more coffee. I'm having broiled fish and green beans for dinner.
I find that my JUDDD weight loss plan is compatible with Primal eating and am glad to nest these two together.

For exercise, he prescribes his favorite Primal workout. It's a pretty lengthy and intense routine. Well, I did 35 squats and 5 pushups this morning. I may try these "spiderman" moves he describes and some planks later, but probably no.

Lastly he discusses what he calls "cave time". Basically, you alone with no distractions for 30-60 minutes, preferably in nature. The closest I can get to this is taking the dogs out for a walk after dinner. But I will probably settle for "laundry time". I do this 3-4 times a week: After dinner, I tell everyone, "I have to go put laundry away". I go upstairs to my room with the baskets of laundry, close the door, put on a tv show I like, and spend 30+ minutes slooooowwwwly folding and putting it away. At this point in my life, it's just about the only "me time" I get. Friday night my DH came upstairs and said something like "you really don't want to be around us, do you?" And I said, "yah, pretty much." lol
Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #99
Blabbermouth!!!

I've been getting better about exercising this week. Me a couple other "Primals" are challenging ourselves to do 500 squats by the end of the month. I'm almost halfway there. I also took the dogs out for a walk two evenings last week. I skipped last night, but plan on taking them today. Might take them and the kids to the dog park today. Anyway, it's not quite a mile around the neighborhood, but it's something.

-----
"Day" 16 Challeges
Today's challenges including eating local. I would have loved to go to the farmer's market today, but alas, I am broke. It's also a down day, so I won't be eating much. Though, I will have an egg later, and it is from a local ranch
Exercise recommendations include a moderate duration aerobic workout of 20-60 minutes. I could run the dogs later instead of walk them. Don't know yet.
Lastly, is the prescription of a relaxing evening with a lingering dinner, conversation or family game, and after dinner stroll, and minimal artificial light. I'll do what I can here.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Not anywhere near 500 but squattin' at least 25 times today.

I haven't been creaky since I started taking Triple Flex a few years ago. I know it's a matter of YMMV, but it worked for me. Did a 5K cancer walk/run yesterday and but only did half. My running days are over. The sprained ankle from August haunts me. I'm going to become a volunteer instead of a participant. Besides...I get the t-shirt for free
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

I've got 80 squats to go to meet my 500 squats by the end of the month challenge. I could do 40 today and 40 tomorrow or all 80 today... but not at once! I've also been doing more pushups. I like the idea of working in PEMs here and there throughout the day. I like that I don't have to change clothes, or set aside hours, or worry about where the kids are, and so forth.
My garden is taking off and I'm really pleased. I've got 4 zucchini plants sprouting. There will be more than enough zucchini throughout the summer! I should be able to harvest radishes in a week or so. I'm actually excited about all the veggies I'm going to get to eat soon. I'm also looking forward to learning how to pickle and can, or otherwise preserve the excess. Two things on my list of things to learn are canning and sewing, both of which I plan to tackle this year.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #102
Blabbermouth!!!

"Day" 18 Challenges

Day 18 of the Primal Blueprint 21 day transformation asks us to finish purging our kitchens of non-Primal foods. I do the best I can, but my dear, dear husband keeps buying crap for the kids. To offset that, I almost never buy them a treat. They have far fewer offensive items than most kids I know, but still. I'd prefer it was fewer. I don't think DH will get on board with me until the children start to put on weight, and I'm afraid it's starting to happen with our 8 year old. That was also when I started to gain as a child, and by age 10, I was completely broken and started my first "diet". OTH, she is still totally in the "normal" range for girls her age and height, so maybe I am just being hypersensitive.

Mark prescribes a moderate duration aerobic workout. I'll do PEMs today, but don't know if I'll be hitting this target today.

He also gives several activities that can promote brain flexibility, such as doing puzzles, taking up a new hobby and so forth. I'm in no danger of losing my brain power due to inactivity

I am going to try to finish up the book over the next 3 days.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #103
Blabbermouth!!!

"Day" 17... oops

Ooops, so I skipped day 17! lol

Modern foraging part two -- eat out all day choosing primal foods. Can't happen for a variety of reasons.

Full length PEM workout -- this I will probably do.

Reach out to a friend about Primal. I nudge my folks all the time and post things to FB in a non-preachy way, to hopefully nudge my friends. It does make me sad when I hear people talk about how "healthy" they think they are being, and they just have no idea.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

"Days" 19 and 20

I really want to finish this workbook by Tuesday, so I'm combining these two days.

Day 19 Challenges have us eating local again. I seriously have a logistical problem with this, though I'm trying to do better. I would like to find at least free range eggs, and I think I can, but it will literally take me driving around the next town over looking for signs by the road. Like I said before, though, I buy our eggs at Costco and they come from a local (industrial) ranch anyway. I am also growing a veggie garden that is coming along quite well, and plan to visit our towns farmers market every-other week.
This day gives us a heads up that tomorrow is a fast day. I'm on a JUDDD down day today as it is.
He also recommends a sprint workout and mini play breaks throughout the day.
Day 20 is another intermittent fast (check!). And an extended aerobic workout. Sheesh. Lastly he wants us to list 10 Primal changes we've made so far. In no particular order...
- planted a veggie garden
- looking for/considering more local produce and eggs
- understand grains aren't just bad because of high carbs, but because of anti-nutrients
- carrots are not bad just because they are higher carb
- looking at sweet potatoes in a different light
- loving the PEMs and the "here and there" exercise strategies
- create a less-digital, less-bright evening routine
- focus on health rather than just weightloss
- embrace 80/20 and really enjoy that 20% rather than feel like a failure (also thanks to JUDDD)
- working on personal relationships with family and friends over digital ones
- oh, almost forgot: enjoying more dark chocolate! lol

Primal is much, much more than a "diet" plan.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #105
Blabbermouth!!!

"Day" 21 - Final Installment

The last set of Challenges in the Workbook include listing those items that were the hardest the lose during the transformation and not beating yourself up about them. He suggests making more sensible indulgences, such as swapping out your candy bar habit for dark chocolate.
Mark is just so cool. This is why I like Primal Blueprint so much. No drama, not pretentious or holier-than-thou. 80/20, man. 80/20.

He wants us to do a full PEM. Ahem. I think we all know that this is not going to happen today. I've clearly identified my downfall in this transition. Aside from not being able to get the organic/grassfed/pastured/raw everything. I need to work out a schedule for exercise, and this I intend to do soon. I think I have made progress though, working in squats and pushups here and there. Baby steps.

He suggests a before and after photo type thing Meh.

And of course reflection. I'm really glad I got this book and that I went through it here on this journal. It will be useful to go through and read it from time to time to remind me of the things I've learned and changes I've made and the problem spots I've identified.
Well, if anyone is out there reading, thanks. I hope you've learned some good stuff along the way.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
I think I have

Lots of different things to think about and I'm convinced I need the book. Squatted in the kitchen just now. As far as the eggs go-I have a source *sometimes* for yard eggs but it's hit and miss. I buy Eggland's Best or Organic Valley on sale.

My garden is coming along, already picked a few heirloom tomatoes. Tons of cherry tomatoes, squashes, more greens and fennel--my hubs planted fennel. OK. Lots of herbs for salad and quiches. I may allow cheese to come back to the diet once a week. Still no grains...maybe quinoa once or twice a month *technically, it's a seed*. I'm out of grass-fed beef and nuts. Longing for frozen wild blueberries..oops. Wrong thread. Dreaming of being off the Lenten Challenge. Three more days to go
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote