Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Thanks Auntie Em. He's much, much better. All better in fact. Kids - they get sick fast, and they recover fast!

The funny thing is, there are several types of movement and exercise I really do enjoy! Callanetics, swimming (in the summer), walking, running, PEM, yoga with the help of the Wii, Gilad's show on fit tv... but I have trouble getting started. I don't hate exercise! I hate getting started.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

"Day 10" challenges

The Day 10 Challenges from the book include creating and maintaining a Primal-aligned eating environment. I am quite guilty of eating in front of the TV or the computer. Except dinner. Dinner is just the family at the table, no distractions.
I don't plan on eating today, except for dinner. But this is something to consider doing moving forward.

He also, again, focuses on the pervasiveness of digital media in our lives and wants us to have an email fast. NO problem! It's Sunday, and all I get on Sundays is junk anyway. I don't respond to students on the weekend as it is. He gives some general tips on how to handle heavy email loads. I'm pretty good at this as it is.

Last, we look at exercise. Mark suggests a Primal WOW - Workout of the Week, which are posted on the MDA website. MDA has been offline all weekend so I can't go check. But he does have a suggested routine outlined in the book here. Let me tell ya, I did 25 squats and 10 sissy push ups yesterday, and I am sore today! If I do all the exercise he's got listed here, I won't be able to walk tomorrow!! I will do some of it, though. I plan to take the kids to the park later and will try to get in a couple miles run/walk while there.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

I am fasting today. I am trying to get my JUDDD mojo back, so I had a crazy up day yesterday and since I am getting rid of my Sunday "medium" days to go to a straight UD/DD rotation, today is a down day, which means I need to be under 600 calories. This is generally not a problem, except that I have chili planned for dinner. One serving of my bean-less chili by itself is not a problem. But I know I will have two ladles, with cheese and sour cream. That didn't leave me with many calories to play with today, so I decided to have a full fast, or my version of it. I had coffee with whole milk for breakfast, 2 cups of beef broth for lunch, more coffee and some hot tea for "snack", and now I'm just waiting for DH to get home so I can dig into that chili, which smells so good and is making my tummy grumble now. Surprisingly, I feel fine for not having eaten anything today, and not overly hungry (until now). I even managed a mile run/walk at the park this afternoon. I never thought I could manage this on 60 calories.
I'm going to go make a nut flour biscuit and a flax wrap in prep for tomorrow now. That will help pass the time before dinner.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Speck, I'm glad your son is doing well.

Maintaining a healthy eating environment is a good challenge. S/o gave me a digital box and rabbit ears recently, and I found I started turning on the tv way too much. I unplugged it this morning, and packed it away. Videos only for a while.

The healthy eating environment and limiting time looking at some electronic screen are good goals for me these days. I find watching videos much calmer than tv. Radio reception is not so good where I live, so videos tend to win out.

I do the push-up-like exercise on the Callanetics Evolution DVD sometimes, or wall "push-ups".

I, too, find getting started on a round of exercise the challenge. Once I get started, I enjoy it.

Am sending you lots of good thoughts on your fasting day. I'm staying away from cheese right now, and really limiting the cream, which is enough avoidance for me.

Hope you have a splendid day.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Auntie Em. You're always so supportive.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Speck, I'm glad your son is doing well.

Maintaining a healthy eating environment is a good challenge. S/o gave me a digital box and rabbit ears recently, and I found I started turning on the tv way too much. I unplugged it this morning, and packed it away. Videos only for a while.

The healthy eating environment and limiting time looking at some electronic screen are good goals for me these days. I find watching videos much calmer than tv. Radio reception is not so good where I live, so videos tend to win out.

I do the push-up-like exercise on the Callanetics Evolution DVD sometimes, or wall "push-ups".

I, too, find getting started on a round of exercise the challenge. Once I get started, I enjoy it.

Am sending you lots of good thoughts on your fasting day. I'm staying away from cheese right now, and really limiting the cream, which is enough avoidance for me.

Hope you have a splendid day.
Gosh Auntie Em...we live in Texas and love all that gooey stuff on our Tex-Mex foods. But we gave it all up in August. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It was a big part of our diet but was also pleasantly surprised at how it effected our food budget. Boy did we eat a lot of it Took the weight off though as we we were watching carbs and calories there for a few months. I make my own coconut coffee creamer and also pleasantly surprised I don't miss the hwc. Switch out the hwc for canned coconut and performs well with most recipes too.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
I am fasting today. I am trying to get my JUDDD mojo back, so I had a crazy up day yesterday and since I am getting rid of my Sunday "medium" days to go to a straight UD/DD rotation, today is a down day, which means I need to be under 600 calories. This is generally not a problem, except that I have chili planned for dinner. One serving of my bean-less chili by itself is not a problem. But I know I will have two ladles, with cheese and sour cream. That didn't leave me with many calories to play with today, so I decided to have a full fast, or my version of it. I had coffee with whole milk for breakfast, 2 cups of beef broth for lunch, more coffee and some hot tea for "snack", and now I'm just waiting for DH to get home so I can dig into that chili, which smells so good and is making my tummy grumble now. Surprisingly, I feel fine for not having eaten anything today, and not overly hungry (until now). I even managed a mile run/walk at the park this afternoon. I never thought I could manage this on 60 calories.
I'm going to go make a nut flour biscuit and a flax wrap in prep for tomorrow now. That will help pass the time before dinner.
Watch out...you are inspiring me. Still thinking/praying on using fasting in Lent. Better get my butt in gear. Ash Wednesday next week Have been working on *in my head* a food challenge. I do this a couple of times a year. Just haven't done it the paleo way yet.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

You know, I never understood how folks could fast and still function (particularly thinking of religious obligations, my Muslim neighbors during Ramadan specifically). In the past, if I didn't eat regularly, I would get light headed and jittery, even panicky and anxious. After JUDDDing now for several months, it's like I've trained my body to deal with it better. Today, though, I had two boiled eggs for bfast and coffee. That was at 8am. By 2pm I was having trouble focusing my eyes on the freeway. Don't like that feeling! I need a little boost sometimes. I forgot my yogurt when I left this morning. But I had it when I got home and the fuzziness in my head cleared.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Speck, I wish you joy and victory today in all your projects. Hooray for yoghurt.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

"Day 11" Challenges

Well, I'm halfway through with the workbook's challenges, so it's a good place to re-read my journal and assess my progress. I wouldn't give myself an "A". I think I have made strides, but I am still far away from being truly "Primal".
On to Day 11...

Mark says to create a primal recipe. I do this all the time! I made the most awesome chicken salad out of some leftover grilled chicken breast the other day. I ate the rest of it for breakfast. The chicken breast was seasoned with kosher salt, garlic and onion powders. Then I took the cold, leftover chicken, and shredded it in my Ninja. I added a few chopped pecans, a few (like 6 total) halved red grapes, mayo and shredded cheddar. It was so good! It wasn't "perfectly Primal", but oh well. Reminds me though, I need to experiment with making mayo from the extra light tasting olive oil I bought. My previous attempts using other kinds of healthy oils failed.

Another challenge is having a moderate duration aerobic workout. 20-60 minutes. I think I've established that exercise is my biggest problem with this lifestyle transition. While I can say I can squeeze in a 20 minute tv workout today, I probably won't. I have a busy day planned and I lack exercise motivation. ::sigh::

The last challenge has to do with prioritizing work. I'm pretty good at this. I like to procrastinate But, I have a pretty good system of balancing all the different types of work I have to do in a day. Because I do a lot of my work at home, my day is often spent switching back and forth between work-work to household-work. I love being able to be at home, and someone is always here for the kids, but on the other hand, I often wish I could just work at work and leave it there. Maybe someday when the kids are older.
Anyway, as for the challenge, specifically, I suppose I could be better at making and honoring to-do lists and avoiding distraction (e.g. procrastination). I will work on that.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Just popping in to say that I have not given up on this by any means. The family and I have been sick, and so I wasn't up to looking at it last weekend. And then I was busy with work all week. I took a look at Day 12 challenges, and more exercise in them. I'm still coughing. Will give a more detailed report tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #72
Blabbermouth!!!

"Day" 12

The Day 12 Challenges from the book include tweaking your made up Primal recipe, stocking up on coconut products, having a PEM workout and nurturing your intimate and social circles.

I currently have coconut oil, coconut flour and coconut flakes in my kitchen. I have had coconute milk, but didn't care for it that much. I used coconut flour in my meatballs last night to make a paleo sweet and sour meatball recipe I found online, and it worked really well. I will have to try it in meatloaf next time. It helps to hold the fat in to make the meat stay moist. It doesn't have the fluffing/bulking effect of bread crumbs, though. I need to remember to use finely grated carrots, zucchini and/or spinach in them next time. Mark's "worker bee" had a great post today about Primal make-ahead freezer meals. It's almost like they've been reading my mind lately about some things. I was just thinking about OMC (once a month cooking) again contemplating how I could do that Primal. I compiled a short list of things I could make. Seeing as with JUDDD I rely on grilled/baked plain meats 3 or four times a week for dinner, and we have one FFY night each week, doing OMC would be pretty do-able having to only make 2-3 dinners for a week, or like 10 for a whole a month.

PEM workout... yah. Let's just not kid anyone here. Not gonna happen today.

The gist of the last one is to connect with the important people in my life face to face and without the digital middle man. I am awfully reliant on digital means of staying connected with people, and for entertaining my kids. They do love their video games! I worry about how much they play. I *do* limit their screen time, but I'm sure it's still too much. I encourage them to go out and play in the neighborhood with other kids. They get grumpy with me, but they figure out something to do.
As a family, we started having game night on Fridays. It only lasted a couple of weeks. We need to do that again. OK, yes, starting this week, family game night on Fridays or Saturdays again. We need to go to the park again on Sundays and the dog park on occasion as well. So, I'll start there with these goals in the coming weeks.

I bought seeds today to start a garden. Just a couple things that seemed easy to grow: zucchini, spinach, lettuce, cilantro and chives. I will get to it next weekend. Need to get to the Farmers Market again next Saturday.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Speck. Just a little visit here to wish you a very lovely day.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #74
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Auntie Em, thanks for stopping by!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

"Day" 13 challenges

Well, I totally forgot about "family game night" this week. ::sigh:: there's always next week. My Primal diet is suffering a bit this week, but I'm sticking to my JUDDD rotation. Nothing crazy, mind you, but times like these are why I still consider myself "semi-Primal". I'm cash-poor right now, so decided to skip the farmer's market yesterday, instead we put in the garden. I picked up some carrot and radish seeds and a couple already started plants. The kids helped and we had a good time. But man, my back is sore today. The stupid dog got into it last night and dug up a couple rows. I think I put the fear of death into her and she's stay out now. If not, I will have to put up 3 foot fences all around.

Well, on to Day 13...

Diet - Mark wants us to acquire "top of the spectrum" food; local, pastured, wild, organic, etc. I can get some grass fed beef at Sprouts on the other side of town, but it is seriously expensive, and terribly inconvenient. I mean at $6/pound for ground beef, we're talking $12 for burgers for one night. This is 4 times as much as I spend at Costco for ground beef. Anyway, maybe I could work this in to a once a month kind of thing. But if I only do it once a month, is it even worth doing? If I didn't have four people to feed and kids to take care of, I can see how the time and expense of seeking out "top spectrum" would be possible for me. I will say this, even though their not pastured eggs, they are local. The yolks are a beautiful rich orange color, and I think this local egg company must be doing a pretty good job. I do want to look into raw dairy though. And as far as produce goes, I put my own garden in yesterday so in a few months, I'll have that covered.

Lifestyle - get more sun. Working on it! I take a 5000 IU cap of vit D everyday and I like to sit in the sun.

Exercise - yah right. Now that daylight savings time is here, I plan to take the dogs out for a walk after dinner. I really want to get back into running. I don't feel it happening today due to my sore back. I will try to get in some PEM reps here and there throughout the day -- if I remember!!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Speck. Top of the spectrum. What about liver? That costs less than muscle meat where I live. My top of the spectrum is pastured butter, which I use a dab of and take with my CLO. I've started eating smaller burgers because of the price. More liver and eggs for me.

Hope you can protect your seed planting area! I have to put chicken wire around my containers, and edgings around some things in the ground.

Here's to more sunshine. I'm working on that one, too.

I think walking the dogs counts as exercise, and looking after children especially.

Do you mind an anthropology question, if it is one? Can you say why men have shorter upper arms than women? Were we designed to have long arms to hold children, or ???? I could ask you questions all day....

Sending you all best wishes!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #77
Blabbermouth!!!

Liver. The only way I can eat liver is as liverwurst.

I don't mind anthropology questions, I love them But I wasn't even aware that men had shorter arms than women! I will have to research that and get back to you.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

I had a hunch you were a no-thanks-to-liver person. Hmmm. How about baked egg custard made with pastured eggs? Grass-fed beef is so expensive now. My treat of choice would be raw, pastured cream.

It's the upper arms. Men have short upper arms.

I really could ask you anthropology questions for days....

Thanks!

Last edited by Auntie Em; 03-11-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Old 03-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #79
Blabbermouth!!!

You mean proportionally? Because I can assure you that the humerus of the average man is longer that the humerus of the average woman. I've got several sets of human bones in my lab and have measured various bones for years and the male humerii are longer than the female ones. But I'll still look into it.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

I love calves liver but am so-so about beef liver. My grandmother made a fried calf liver to die for. It just hasn't been good since. Plus, it's hard to find. I do like chicken livers because of their versatility but just never think to use as main dish used to make a dirty rice recipe with them that made grown Cajun men cry. I may try it with cauliflower rice (she said, her eyes brightening).

I know us ladie peeps have wider hips than men folk. Better to tote the young'ens. That's my story and I'm sticking to it
Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Speck, yes, proportionally. Thanks!

Hi, Mamasooze.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmm. Next time I fix a whole chicken i'll save the liver and give it a try. How should I cook it?
I couldn't find anything in print on the limb lengths. I'll measure some stuff in the lab on Wed and do some math and report back.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Hi, Mamasooze.
Auntie Em. You cross my mind each day. Whenever I enter a room now, I turn off the lights and open the blinds. And have made vigilant effort to try and read in natural light.

Chicken Livers With Mushrooms Recipe - Food.com - 168717

Found this recipe for chicken livers. Would leave out flour and use whipping cream or coconut milk for thickening agent. My sis had a WW recipe for livers years ago and it was seriously good. Looked for it but can't find it.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Speck, thanks. ! Chicken livers are small. I like a bit of beef bacon for flavor. When the beef bacon is partly cooked, I just put the livers into the skillet. Sometimes chives or green onions and pepper. Butter is nice, too. You could cook the heart the same way. The heart is a bit tough, but small enough to eat without too much chewing.

The livers could be dipped in egg and coated with coconut or almond meal, to counterfeit the SAD breading. Fried okra and some kind of tomato dish are popular in the South.

Hi, Mamasooze.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 03-13-2012 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 03-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!

I think artichoke hearts are the closest I'm going to get to eating heart. lol
Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Hey Speck. Just wanted to let you know I was here and caught up with you.

I'm so bad about the consistent exercise too. Hoping the nicer weather will help, but I am so not an outside girl (even though we live on a farm).
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Speck, celery hearts are nice, too.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
I know us ladie peeps have wider hips than men folk. Better to tote the young'ens. That's my story and I'm sticking to it
Absolutely, our pelvis is shaped differently, more like a basket compared to that of men, and it is all related to child-bearing.

Quote:
OK, I measured four skeletons this week. Two male, two female. I measured the upper arm bone and one of the lower arm bones (ulna). And the results? The humerus is 56% the length of the entire arm (both bones together) in all four specimens. Actually, one female was 54% and one was 58% so I averaged them together. Both males were 56%.
I recognize that the sample size is very small, but it was enough for me to decide not to measure more bones because the results were so consistent with each other.
I'm really curious where you learned that women have longer upper arms compared to men. It doesn't appear to be true. Legs on the other hand, I have heard that women have longer legs relative to total body height than men, but that I have not investigated.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Speck, celery hearts are nice, too.
and hearts of palm and romaine... I guess I do eat a lot of hearts
Old 03-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Hey Speck. Just wanted to let you know I was here and caught up with you.

I'm so bad about the consistent exercise too. Hoping the nicer weather will help, but I am so not an outside girl (even though we live on a farm).
Hi Tina,
thanks for stopping by. I'm hoping the warmth will encourage me to get back out there. Once summer hits, and me and the kids are out of school, we swim nearly everyday. But I so want to be totally fit. I guess I don't want it bad enough to work in some simple exercises everyday.