Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #2101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
yep! the whole pacific northwest is participating in the precipitation! I had a feeling that wasn't the right word! hehehe...

Good night Cheryl, Have a good sleep!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #2102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
That was funny! participation! LOL
Old 04-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #2103
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Good morning! I slept til my usual time which makes me very . The two mornings before this, I woke terribly early and couldn't get back to sleep.

One disturbing thing I'm experiencing during my sleep is I'm dreaming I'm back at work, and I'm in the midst of a shift in a hospital as an RN. Those category of dreams are (is?) NEVER pleasant. I hope whatever is stirring this up goes away quickly.

I wonder if it's because I'm starting to experience the same kind of agita at the farm; feeling like I'm not up to the challenges before me (and all around me.) That could be it. Time to start repeating some positive affirmations to drive out those fears and doubts.

Working this afternoon. It's going to be about 50 degrees with winds in the 20's-30's out of the south. Just another day in CT! I listen to the weather reports religiously and I've yet to hear an explanation of what is driving all these winds week after week. They are unrelenting and unwanted. (!!!!)

I wish my hair was one length so I could pull it back into a pony tail. I have it layered so on a windy day, it just whips around and around. You may laugh but I've actually had a couple of thoughts about how to remedy this. Part of me wants to shave my head and wear a wig while the hair grows out. That way I'd have one-length, brand new hair. But I would die of embarrassment if one day, a horse would be sniffing it, sense it wasn't real hair and pull it off my head. Frodo would do something like that. He's a comedian. Mr trouble-maker, too.

Keep in mind, I'd find a wig that didn't look too different than what my hair looks like right now. I wouldn't want it to be extremely obvious. But how do you keep wigs on your head? With wind like we're having, I'd be chasing it across town!

I'm washing a load of clothes but have no idea what to wear to the farm. Well, I know which pants and shoes, but from the midsection up, I'm not sure. Maybe I should buy a couple of bandannas and learn how to roll them up and use them to tie around my head like bikers do. Debby, you should know about that stuff. Is that a flash back to the 60's or do they still do that? I'm really in a quandary.

Okay. Going to post this now. I hope you both (all) have a great Sunday. I should have three helpers who are very well-versed with the farm. They tend to come all at once and sweep across the land, cleaning and doing everything in their path. I love filling in for Chelsea on Sundays. Wish there was a weekend differential.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-07-2013 at 09:23 AM..
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #2104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Cheryl, I like to watch Joel Osteen on TV. Also get his emailed devotions daily; talk about positive affirmations!

Yep, a skull cap would work! Don't shave your head! Just start trimming it off at the bottom till your layering grows out... much faster!! Wigs are "itchy"

Have a marvelous day! You are blessed!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #2105
Big Yapper!

Thank you! You are blessed, too.

I wasn't thinking of a skull cap, just like the way they used to fold a standard bandanna and tie it behind their head. I don't want to wear anything like a hat. But thanks for that idea.

Later, dudettes!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #2106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, you can make a pretty cute bandanna - remember I love Lucy's scarf she used to wear, so cute. That might tame the wind.

I've seen the way harley bikers tie theirs. Doesn't work for me, we use real helmets, won't stay on with those. That would probably work too.... or piggy tails?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #2107
Big Yapper!

Nah, don't see me pulling off piggy's. Thanks for the ideas but by the time I think of something that will work and figure out how to put it on, the wind will finally go away. It was wicked today!

Sunday typically has three eager volunteers. Today only one showed up. She was great and works for the joy of working so she was a great one to have if you've only got one. It's funny cause we crossed paths at Home Depot the day I was there to buy the mailbox. She looked familiar but I couldn't place her. Then she said the farm and I remembered but couldn't figure out which day she was volunteering. It all came together today.

I'm tired but it's a good tired. I ate a kind of pizza roll before getting ready for work. Took shredded cheese (oddly it was a mexican mix) and layered it at the bottom of a non-stick pan. Turn burner on high then waited for the cheese to get bubbly. I put a little spaghetti sauce on the top and spread it around so it was very thin. Kept frying it and waited for the edges to start to brown and for it to harden up enough to start rolling. Then I started at one end and started flipping it in on itself until it looked like an enchilada. Slid it onto the plate and ate it with a fork.

Then when I got home, I ate tuna with mayo and now sipping on my "nightcap." Going to stop typing long enough to pop my evening Motrin down so I can get the aches and pains on the run. Took a hot shower when I got home and climbed into my pj's. Happy little girl right now.

Sleep well, ladies. I prayed to God that I don't have any more disturbing dreams for a while; especially nursing dreams! Those seem to last all night long, as if I'm actually working.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #2108
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Hope you don't have any more of those dreams either. I have dreamed of my Mom and Dad 2 nights in a row..... they are both gone, it is disconcerting .....

So nice that you had a good day and a good helper !

Sleep well !
Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #2109
Big Yapper!

I'm sorry the dreams of your parents aren't comforting to you. Must not be those kinds of dreams. Then, my prayer extends to you as well. Let's dream of our Lord and Savior instead.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #2110
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Thanks cheryl, but they weren't bad dreams, i just usually don't dream of them.... especially together for some reason. No worries, I had great parents... Guess I've been missing them a lot lately ;(
Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #2111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad your day went so well. Sounds like your body is healing with the new diet.

Your pizza roll sounds good. I melted some cheese the other day for a snack, yummy!

Good night, sweet dreams!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #2112
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
I got a beef fajita taco salad - no beans, no shell.
Sometimes I get chicken breast smothered in mushrooms and onions and topped with cheese with salad on the side.
Guacamole

I find it pretty easy to eat fajitas and such without tortillas ( which I dearly love ) Texas does have the BEST mexican food - we try it in other states when on vacations and it is TERRIBLE ~~~ course we're biased
We have a few good places here in AZ. I'm actually surprised w. how few "authentic" Mexican places we have, but there are about 3-4 I love!! Tex-Mex is good too, but I love real Mexican food. I add cheese too, the gringo in me .

Cheryl-I hope you slept well, dreamless and deep! I'm sure any stress from work is bringing up memories of past stressful work. Hope it passes, and you can relax and enjoy work more. Hope you're having a great day and the wind has died down. It's really windy here in AZ today. A bandana would be like a bigger headband (the way you're describing it) and a good way to tame your hair. I wear them sometimes when we're hiking and I don't feel like a hat.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #2113
Big Yapper!

Hi, ladies. I am wa-sted and I don't mean from vodka. I was at the farm and working steadily in like over-drive for 5 hours and 15 minutes. Normally I only put down for 3 hours of pay and put anything over 3 hours as volunteer time, because when you go over 3 (for the pm feed shift), you have to write "why" in the tiny little margin. Today I claimed 4 of those hours and while I was hauling @$$, I told myself I was going to claim them all. I relented and gave 1.25 hours of time for free.

When the equine manager is off work, she is there. Lucky me, she's there every Monday. And I have only one volunteer on Mondays and she's large and very disabled. Fibromyalgia, Lupus and I don't even know what else. She just does what she can and so I'm always giving her the easier paddocks and tasks and I take the more difficult ones.

The program director is also there on Mondays, working the horses in the arena with other warm bodies. She asked me if I would do her a favor and go get Cowboy for her. I said "sure" and when I came back with him, I brought him into the arena and waited for her to finish giving instruction to one of the riders. Then she asked me if I wanted to long-line him. I said I hadn't passed out the hay yet and it was already 5:15 and I had just asked the equine manager what time she wanted the horses turned in and she said 5:30.

I went ahead and said I'd long-line him anyway because you have to grab the practice time when it presents itself. At that time, my one volunteer calls to me and says she's leaving. She's tired. I say "okay. See you next week."

LONG story short, the long-lining went a lot better but I'm still learning. It will go even better when I don't have the instructor critiquing me the whole time. She's great but between the manager micro-managing me up to that point and then the director cuing me in the arena, I was just about DONE. Then I had to take Cowboy back to the barn and suddenly he is limping. He is lame and we know that but he wasn't limping at all on the way to the arena or during the long-lining. Soon as we step outside of the arena and head for the barn, he's limping and looking really bad.

So then the director tells the manager what meds/supplements he will be getting tonight and I guess for the next few days. All that stuff is in the office. I'm hauling @$$ into the house to grab the supplements for the evening grain. The manager is passing out the hay. I'm thankful. Others are turning the horses in from their paddocks. Again, grateful. I'm still walking faster and juggling more in my brain than I would normally be on a day when the manager is working. I'm growing frazzled.

Horses get their grain, supplements go back to the barn to be brought into the house for the night (half of them, anyway. Some were going to stay out. Again, more specific instructions that are coming out the manager's mouth as fast as she can think it.) I start grooming the horses as fast as I can. I finish grooming all four of the horses on the hill and the manager said we wouldn't be putting their sheets on tonight. Just leave them in their stalls and she'll put them on at night check if she thinks it's going to rain.

I'm stepping out of the 4th and last horse's stall with the grooming tools and I'm basically done. Heading home soon. She's been raking the paddocks with a large machine. She hollers over to me, "Cheryl! Put their sheets on." I turn back around and walk into the stall. Back down the line I go, applying their coats. At the end of the line, I put the brushes away and turn out their stall lights.

Turn to retrieve the two wheelbarrows and that's when I see that the volunteer really did just stop what she was doing and say goodbye. She left the hay and leaves she was raking up in the wheelbarrow, put her two rakes on top of the debris and left it there. Didn't dump it, didn't put the rakes away. Just left. One more thing I have to do. Now the sun is setting.

Dump the stuff, rake the over-flow of manure back into the pit (manager was making manure runs with same machine using the bucket on the other end and manure got pushed up over the edges where it couldn't be grabbed. Now I'm pushing two wheelbarrows to the barn at the same time. Manager is sweeping the barn. Thankful. I put the wheelbarrows in the barn and manager says that Red has a swollen eye.

I didn't clean their paddock today. That is one of the two paddocks I gave to the volunteer cause they are smaller and flatter. His eye is extremely puffy. Any fool could see it. Manager takes him out of his stall and puts him in the open area of the barn so she can flush out his eye with water and a syringe. I'm standing by to try and keep him calm and grab his lead rope if he decides to bolt. He tolerates it well but it was clearly not something he enjoyed.

I remember I still haven't topped off the waters in the barn stalls and haven't washed Red's butt (chronic loose stool that comes out mostly when he passes gas.) I get the bucket and sponge and clean him while he's standing there. Dump and rinse the bucket and sponge and put it away. As he's being led back into his stall, he lets out a long stream of said loose stool. I didn't clean his bottom again but I got a bucket of water and tossed it on the floor so I could at least try to sweep it out the door. Water kept rolling back inside. Whatever. I keep sweeping.

Now it's 8 pm. Actually, a little after 8. I put a bale of hay in the hay cart so it's ready for manager at night check, which is now only about 3 hours from then. I put it inside the barn and finally I'm ready to go. Go inside, put my time out on the regular sign-in sheet, then wash up. Log my time in on the pay/volunteer sheet and decide to claim only 4 hours. I don't want to argue with anyone but I EARNED that $$$. I make no apologies for today. I will stand up tall and answer any questions about going over my time that anyone can throw at me. I have to draw the line somewhere.

THANK GOD my BP and HR are keeping up with the pace cause all I had today was an AVOCADO and two mugs of half-caff coffee with lots of cream. I put an oz of cheese in a ziplock to eat at the farm if I felt hungry, but there was no time to even feel hungry, let alone remember I had even brought some cheese. Cheese went back into the fridge when I got home.

I was wearing a sport bra and I never had the chance to even make two boobs out of one! I had to practically peal them apart when I took it off at home. TMI.

I never intended to write all this but in a way, it's been a release. Thanks for reading all this, if indeed you're still reading. I remembered to tell the manager that Calvin was shedding profusely and needed a really good grooming tomorrow. She said I could come and hang out with him tomorrow if I wanted to (said in a gentle, coy way, kind of placing just the hint in my head.) I said, "My poor dog!" Then I said maybe I'd come. I said, "Maybe I'll see you tomorrow." She says, "I'll be at work."

I'm driving away and I'm thinking, "maybe I WILL go, then." Mondays are going to either be the death of me or be the thing that brings me up in fitness faster than anything else.

And I was thinking I needed to start going back to the gym soon! No freaking way. Only for recreational swimming and nothing more. And maybe to soak my tired bones and blubber in the hot tub or sauna.

Night, y'all. Thanks for your well-wishes for my sleeping. I dreamed but can't for the life of me remember what of. It wasn't pleasant, though. And I woke around 6 but managed to squeeze a few more hours of sleep out before I got up for the day. OMG. I need tomorrow off. Calvin can shed all he wants to. I'm don't until Wednesday.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-08-2013 at 07:19 PM..
Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #2114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my word!
What a day (& work-out)! So glad your BP & stamina is improving enough to do it!
Hope you have a wonderful restorative rest today!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #2115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Poor thing! There's nothing they can give him?
I have a little story for ya. Last night my daughter showed Chloe a picture of an actual horse because she's never seen one, just cartoons. What does she say? "Ewww Yuck!" We couldn't believe it! I said "Chloe, isn't the horse pretty?" Again, "Ewww! Yuck!" LOL
I can't wait to take her to our county fair and see what she says! She'll get smells and all then! LOL
Chloe and I had a sleepover last night. I prefer to have her sleep with me when my dd needs to work early. Then she won't be awake at 7:30 cranky. She slept til 9 and that makes me very happy! And her too! hehehe
No more bad dreams? I never remember mine. I can't recall the last time I remembered a dream.
Its been warm here. Are you getting any of this warmth we're getting? It was windy here the other day too. I took Chloe for a stroll the day before yesterday. She loves being outdoors.
I found a small store that just opened that specializes in 0-4T clothing. Uh-oh! $$$$ LOL
Oh! guess what!? We sold our other house! And made a profit too! Now dh wants to do the same with this house! He wants to move back to where his family is. They want us back! Its not far, its a 40 min drive on the interstate. We might. I'd feel like we'd lose on this house though. We updated too much and with expensive material. Especially the kitchen and baths. We'll have to see. Get some estimates and such.
Do you watch the voice? it was on last night. I like it better than Idol. And they did good with the 2 new judges. Unlike Idol.
What ya doing today? Me, watching Chlobug til about 6. Dd got a gym membership and theres an orientation on the cardio machines she wants to go to. She went yesterday a.m. and had to read each machine before using them. There's a class Thursday she is going to and the lady is gonna show the new ppl how to work each machine. They have things for Chloe to do there too. On Fridays she can go with her mom. She'll like it.
Rest & ttys!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

"He who the Son sets free is free indeed"

Tammy
Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #2116
Big Yapper!

That's so great about selling the house! I would think that you will make a profit on selling your current home because kitchen and bath room updates are what really bring up the value of a home. I know because I'm an HGTV groupie. I watch a lot of those realty shows. I just like them. I've learned a lot about realty, too.

Chloe needs some exposure to some real horses! She won't say YUCK then!! They did do something for Red and for Cowboy. Red got the eye flushing and he also got some Bute, which is an antiinflammatory. The manager looked under his eye lid and it was really red. I suspect he was stung but she didn't think so. What else could it have been? The biting flies are not back yet (thank goodness). Cowboy got something called miracle clay, bute and also his regular stuff. I just don't get why we exercised him yesterday like that. He just had his front hooves done the other day and if it were up to me, I wouldn't have worked him.

If you move to be near family, will Chloe and your dd go with you?

And to answer your question, yes we are getting the warmth you are getting. And today is the very first day I opened the windows and turned off the heater.

It's about time!!!

It's windy and it is blowing the curtains around and the breeze is washing over me and I am just breathing in all that fresh air. I opened up all the windows that I could reach. Ooh! I forgot the ones in the mud room. BRB.

I forgot I had hard cooked eggs in the making out there. Soon as I stepped foot in the kitchen the buzzer went off. So now they are in the cold water and I am just going to wait until I'm done with this post to "devil them." I want to eat more frequently. I believe that brings about faster weight loss, and now that the vodka is finished, I need to do some catching up in that department.

I did two loads of dishes yesterday and today I want to continue my quest for a clean and orderly house. The open windows have inspired me. I might even venture outside to do my first poop patrol in I don't even know how long. I let it slide during the winter. I'm kind of leery to see what awaits me. But knowing my landlady (who buzzes around with the energy akin to my equine manager), she'll be mowing the lawn soon. It is just beginning to grow.

I can't express to you how much joy it brings me to just have the windows open. I can hear the traffic (the one really bad thing about this place), but more than that, I hear Canada Geese honking as they fly over on their way to and from the pond that's through the woods, the birds near and far chirping and calling, the chimes on my front porch, and maybe later in the day, I'll catch a whiff of someones bbq grill and what they're cooking on it.

There are so few weeks/months where we can have our windows open in CT. Unless you can handle the heat and humidity, but I can't do humidity. I will just have to try and get better at handling it so I can have the windows open longer. I'm certainly not in an air conditioned environment when I'm at the farm, so maybe if I try to use the a/c at home less, it will desensitize me to it at the farm. Worth a shot, anyway.

Oops! Thought I posted this. I went and pealed all the eggs. Well, I tried to, anyway. I didn't have much luck. So instead of deviled eggs I now have egg salad. Eating some right now, then will pop my vitos.

Have a great day, everyone.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-09-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Old 04-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #2117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Don't you just hate when eggs fall apart like that?
And yes, dd and Chloe are coming with us. My dd doesn't want to go down there, but she don't have a choice. She has one more smart thing to say then I'm gonna ask her where else she gonna live for free?
I went to Walmart for a few things and my back is killing me! I think something has changed again. I've been having increased pain for a few days. It breaks through the pain meds I take. Not good.
I'll be back. I have to go do something.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #2118
Big Yapper!

She pays you nothing toward the expenses of having herself and Chloe living there? That's not right. I hope she's at least buying food. She's working, right? Anyway, that's your deal. None of my business. I think my mother got something from us as soon as we got our first jobs, not including baby sitting.

I'm really sorry about your pain. I hope there is something that can be done and quickly. I don't know what else to say.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #2119
Big Yapper!

I ordered three raised planter beds that have casters on the bottom. It was an ordeal because the store I ordered them to be picked up at was out of them. Long story but I called around and found a Home Depot that had 9 in stock. Three of them are mine!

I'm going to put them on the front porch. Did I already write about this on my journal? Nope! I just went back and checked. I'll post a picture so you can see it. They have a great many favorable reviews and the price is right. My front porch gets sun all day long so my veggies will be very happy there, and if a storm comes, I can wheel the planters closer to the wall of the house for protection from the winds.

I just need to work out some trellis type things for the climbers to hold on to and for the really weighty stuff to tie to. For the vining stuff like cukes and zukes, I'm going to try to find or make some kind of platforms and place them just off the deck so I can have the vines go off the porch and rest on the platforms, off the ground and in the sun. I'm stoked.

I don't think I can afford the trellis stuff and the soil until next month. But it's not warm enough to plant anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg City Pickers planter.jpg (17.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg City Pickers 2.jpg (8.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #2120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What a great idea Cheryl! I walked past the seeds at a store today with fleeting thoughts about growing nice veggies... not going to happen. I've tried a potted tomato on my porch 2 years in a row... they don't do well.

Good for you having such a wonderful "me-day"!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #2121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: usacoton
Stats: 256/177 after two rounds, 214/192 goal 175
WOE: HCG RX, R4P2 extended with FF thrown in here and t
Start Date: 3.2.2013
Hi Cheryl, just checking in to let you know the admin said I had to wait 60 days to get to the playground. I haven't had a ton of time to go thru your journals, but read (at some point) your post about long lining, and using body posture/eye. It really does work, and I would recommend if this is all new to you to read Monty Roberts book about his growing up and "shy boy". It is an easy read, and while not specifically an instructional book, it will give you a feel for what the horse is thinking and how to react and use your eyes and body to gain respect and a partnership without all the theatrics of some "clinicians".

We can learn so much by simply observing, and while important that we love and respect our horses and they love and respect us, we have to remember they outweigh us by a lot and an equine "correction" could really hurt a human.

If you already kmow all this and I just read it out of context, please forgive.
Have a blessed day!
~juli

Last edited by usacoton; 04-10-2013 at 06:03 AM..
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #2122
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
What a great idea Cheryl! I walked past the seeds at a store today with fleeting thoughts about growing nice veggies... not going to happen. I've tried a potted tomato on my porch 2 years in a row... they don't do well.

Good for you having such a wonderful "me-day"!
Debby, what's cool about this system is it's idiot proof. The way it is set up, they tell you specifically what to use for soil (potting mix, dolomite and fertilizer) and they tell you how much of each to use, to layer it and water it as you build up the layers. There is a covering that goes over the top which helps to keep the soil from drying out in the hot sun. I guess it keeps opportunistic critters out, too. You just cut slits into the cover for each plant-ling (I won't be starting from seed) and then water it through that tube that sticks out at one end. The water reservoir is at the bottom and if you are putting too much water into it, it overflows out a vent on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usacoton View Post
Hi Cheryl, just checking in to let you know the admin said I had to wait 60 days to get to the playground. I haven't had a ton of time to go thru your journals, but read (at some point) your post about long lining, and using body posture/eye. It really does work, and I would recommend if this is all new to you to read Monty Roberts book about his growing up and "shy boy". It is an easy read, and while not specifically an instructional book, it will give you a feel for what the horse is thinking and how to react and use your eyes and body to gain respect and a partnership without all the theatrics of some "clinicians".

We can learn so much by simply observing, and while important that we love and respect our horses and they love and respect us, we have to remember they outweigh us by a lot and an equine "correction" could really hurt a human.

If you already kmow all this and I just read it out of context, please forgive.
Have a blessed day!
~juli
I'll look into that book, Juli. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Not sure what you mean by the equine correction though. I've written a lot of posts here about the farm days and I can't recall one specific thing you could be referring to. I appreciate any advise that I can get, regarding horses. I didn't realize it would be something that was so intricate! Or something that would take years to master, if one ever does master it.

I'm sorry you have to wait 60 days to enter the playground. I never knew that. Someday you will get there, though!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #2123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: usacoton
Stats: 256/177 after two rounds, 214/192 goal 175
WOE: HCG RX, R4P2 extended with FF thrown in here and t
Start Date: 3.2.2013
I just meant that sometimes a strong, disapproving correction from a human is nothing like a horse to horse correction. They start with glares and move into full fleged kicking/biting/shaking episodes if the lead horse deems it necessary.

If you can read these books, then watch the interactions at your farm, it will all make better sense to you. I've been doing it this way for over 40 years... my friends and family call me Dr Doolittle because I talk to the animals. I was never really able to explain "how" , because God just gave me this ability to communicate/connect with animals. When I read these books...I recognized the principles I has been using my entire life and just never knew.

Anyway...

Last edited by usacoton; 04-10-2013 at 08:10 AM..
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #2124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Glad Monday is over. Quite a workout, but a rewarding one. Definitely charge for the work you do. They can schedule more volunteers if they want you to work fewer hours. Hope you continue to feel well and sleep well. Healthy eating, no alcohol, strenuous and rewarding work is a good formula!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #2125
Big Yapper!

I slept with two windows open just about an inch and I wasn't too cold! One in my bedroom and one at the other end of the house. Yea!! It's 11 am and only 60 degrees right now so I'm not sure how warm we're expected to get today. It's another farm day for me but I have my trusty helper who makes my life easier. I wish she didn't have a job and wasn't going to school full time.

We're in a period of weather pattern where it's nice during the day but then scattered showers or even a T-storm are expected in the late afternoon or evening. I think this is one of those days. I am going to do as much as I can of my regular farm work before I get involved in any training exercises with the director. She's there on Mondays and Wednesdays which are my two days each week. Great opportunity, also greater chance of a hectic day.

But I have to face it. I signed on for a hectic job. I took it during the winter, so it was a straight-forward job at that time of year. But the facility exists to help disabled children and young adults and I have to take the good with the not so good.

I got a package delivered to my front door yesterday. It was from "Bed Bath and Beyond." That confirmed my heavy suspicion that the couple upstairs really are getting married. I considered carrying it over to their door, but then I thought how this is going to happen over and over again. So I texted her to say the package was on my porch and also said that I was happy for them. I asked when the date was and it's next month! Then I start thinking, "Hmmm... Shot gun wedding?" Time will tell.

That's all for now. Have a good day, ladies.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #2126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like your weight is co-operating! That's great news! Your health certainly is improving. WTG!

Check out the pic. on my page...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #2127
Big Yapper!

Hysterical, Deb! Great picture. Nothing goes uncaptured in this age of smart phones. If there is indeed a Yeti, there would be a couple good pics of him by now.

I'm so glad to have the day off today. I was feeling a bit dismayed last night because "I've lost that losing feeling" and I just didn't know if I was stuck. So even though it was taking a gamble, I got on the scale last night. 203.8. I thought that was at least in the hopeful-category and decided I'd re-weigh this morning to see what it really is. 201.2. So I will soldier on!

My crafty little body that apparently WANTS to stay loaded with blubber has filled those emptying fat cells with water, in hopes of refilling them with more fat. I'm onto you!!! It just boggles my mind that the body doesn't want to be at a weight that is best for its bone structure, joints, organs, etc.

So I am making progress and I still can lose about 10 lbs a month even while drinking vodka in moderation. I will still stick to my plan of drinking one bottle over a week's time, then take the next week with no drinking. All these boundaries are strengthening me. It's no different than dieting! It's just another thing that has to be put inside limits and controlled.

We got our first T-storm last night! I had stopped at the grocery store after the farm to just pick up a couple of things. When I went to go to my car, it was really coming down! I put my head down and bee-lined it to the car. I think we just caught the fringe of the storm because the lightening and thunder were spaced out by about 6 second intervals.

I have a confession to make. I have (in my addictive nature) become "rather fond" of sour cream. If my weight wasn't what it was today, I might have had to break loose from it altogether. In the last few days, I've been enjoying eating it as if it were yogurt. If you've never done that, DON'T! It's hard to stop. But it's primarily fat with only a few carbs and a little bit of protein. So far it isn't hurting me. But when the rest of what I have in the house is gone, I will take a break from that, too.

We are in a stormy pattern. I'm done with work for the week but need to go on Saturday morning to assist with another class just like the last one. I will have the same job in the barn, going over grooming, horse etiquette and basic barn stuff. The program director told me she got rave reviews about the class the other lady and I gave that day! Only negative comment was that we didn't pair up experienced horse people with other experienced ones so they weren't being taught the elementary stuff with the newbies. I hear that, but if we are going to make that work, we'll have to work together (director and I) at the point where she is dividing up the group and deciding who to send to the barn in the first place.

I hope we don't have a rainy day on Saturday. Getting back to last night, it's the first time the manager didn't have me put the sheets on the run-in guys. She knew there was a chance of rain but this time she left them off. And when the storm really hit about 30 minutes after I left, I could just envision her and the director hauling @$$ around in the rain, trying to get their sheets on or closing the doors to their stalls. Glad I was spared that drama.

Now that I've weighed, I'll not weigh again until the end of the month. I'm so thankful that I saw progress. I was so afraid I wouldn't see much and then I'd be in that old familiar place: Quandryville.

Have a great day, ladies. My plans might be to vacuum and dust, or they might just be to lay around in my PJ's. Oh, yeah. I forgot I'm supposed to go pick up my raised planters today. I got an email saying they were ready for pick up but they gave me until the 16th to get them. I'd like to get my hot little hands on them and see how well-constructed or cheesy they are.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #2128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So good! Keeping encouraged is so great! Sometimes its harder than others, but going back is not an option... have to keep pressing on. I'm so glad you're losing well & not feeling over-stretched. Baby steps in the right direction & you're getting healthier & slimmer. Horse-back riding in your future!!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #2129
Big Yapper!

YEAH!!! That's right! Yoga classes, too.

I got some stuff done today. Relaxed a bit, then remembered the paddock that was falling apart at the seams with rotting boards. I also had to pick up the planters and return the mailbox. Got the boards secured the best I could but it's difficult to drive a nail through a rotting board and into a rotting post. The nails would bend too, so I had to just whack the heck out of them so they wouldn't pose a problem.

Then I used the GPS on my touchscreen phone to take me to the right Home Depot. I don't think it took me the most direct way but it got me there. I knew my way back home so I drove all the way back over back roads that I've known from the time I was just a child.

Right when I was turning to leave the town I grew up in and cross over into the one I live in now, I was driving over a bridge that crosses over a river and a train track. I happened to look over the side and saw white birds! I immediately thought they were swans so I drove a little farther up the road until I found a place I could pull over. Walked back down and noticed what a great place that was to take Cisco. So far down from the road and she could run and swim. I also noticed the large amount of trash and thought of broken glass cutting her poor paws open. (I hate litterers!)

I saw they were not swans but someones personal white ducks. There was a house there and it looked like they had created a pond-like area and they must have fed and or raised the ducks and they just hang around. Maybe they clip their wings! Who knows. Anyways, I decided to find a path down to the water and I found a good one. Steep but with lots of trees to grab onto on the way down.

There was a beautiful very typical CT-type river and it was cascading down and joining up with the other river which was just meandering along. I took several pictures and then climbed back up to the road. I wanted a picture of the train track too, but I had to climb up a gated structure to shimmy along to where the picture would be of the scene I wanted to capture. I did it, but when people drove by, I looked over at them and smiled so they wouldn't think I was going to jump off. I suspect that's what the metal fencing was put there for.

I have those images on my cell phone and I will now try to use the usb cable and load them onto my computer so I can share them with y'all. I need to keep a REAL camera in the car, now that the cold weather is over.

Last edited by CherylB; 04-11-2013 at 04:54 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #2130
Big Yapper!

Nothing can compare to video. I have to stop taking still shots and take more video. Here are the pics. I tried to frame the scene differently so that's why I took several pics of the same place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (58.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (61.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (62.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (55.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (61.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (51.9 KB, 5 views)
Closed Thread